2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980182Likes

post #5491 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
But those settings are no longer valid because they aren't dialed into the idiosyncrasies of the replacement panel, right?

Oh true, I read the question wrong. The settings aren't touched but yeah I would think the new panel would need a calibration touch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Correct, the HDR videos were so vivid and clear before 3.60.09. I too was dealing with the nag message until someone in my family downloaded 3.60.09 when I was not home

The silver lining in this for me is that it does not seem to have effected the PQ and HDR PQ outside of Youtube. 99% of my tv viewing is HDR blu-ray movies and FIOS tv so it's not that big of a deal. It would be nice if they went ahead and fixed it though.
I was so concerned about someone accidentally selecting "ok" to the update nag message I blocked my C7 at the internet router. No more nag message! We use Roku for streaming anyway, so didn't want to take the chance of a new firmware update screwing up the TV. I'll un-block when and if a good firmware patch is released.
post #5493 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
Did you turn on Simplink in your settings? It needs to be ON for ARC to work. I'm still fiddling with the settings to prevent other equipment in the chain from hijacking the receiver's output randomly. But for ARC to work, the first step is to turn on Simplink.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Good luck on the hijacking issue, I'd be interested if you get it to work. I've not found any workaround for that. It did not happen with my older Sony 4K set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5494 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsidewing View Post
Huh. I'll have to go back an watch some stuff. I watch LG Chess Match and the lame Jazz Band demos and they look great. Admittedly, the rest of the few HDR clips on all of Youtube don't look as crisp as those, which I attributed to the source material and it being streamed. I mean, while it does have HDR content, there is little else I use youtube for other than epic fail videos and banding images.

You can download the videos from the web to a USB device and play them. They will look correct and clearly different from the youTube versions. YouTube use to look the same.

post #5495 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
Do any of the owners use the TV with Roku Ultra/Vudu? I have noticed the internal Vudu app on the C7 runs much smoother than the Vudu app on the Roku? The Roku runs a little choppy at times? I have tried using the Truemotion settings but just makes it look to fast.

Regards,
I have a Roku Ultra. I have not yet tried the Roku Vudu app with my TV but I tried the internal one and it played back HDX content fine. I'll give the Roku Vudu app a try and report back.
post #5496 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4137 Post(s)
Liked: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
I have a Marantz SR5010, so we are on a similar SW platform in our AVRs. I had the same issue as yours until I enabled Simplink on the TV, and also HDMI ARC on the receiver. I had issues if I also enabled "Power Sync (CEC)" under Simplink options, or HDMI-CEC on the receiver, as no matter what input I chose turn on the TV and Receiver to (e.g. Cab/SAT, or Blu-ray), the receiver goes back to TV-Audio input due to the issues with Simplink, ARC and HDMI-CEC. I still have to find a reliable solution to this issue between the configuration of my TV, AVR and Harmony remote.

Your issue might also be the cable, but if you do rule out the cables as an issue, perhaps you could check up on your settings on the TV and AVR. I'd be interested to see how you eventually solve the issue.

I actually went into my Denon manual and found a fix...sort of...I enabled 'HDMI Control' in my receiver settings...I can now get audio from the Amazon app but it's coming through the TV speakers and not my external 5.1 speakers...it's also apparently not using the ARC port as I'm only able to get audio for the apps when I choose the 'TV Speaker' option within the LG settings...I'm just using it to test out 4K and HDR so honestly the audio doesn't matter to me that much but at least I can now get audio
post #5497 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
I have a Roku Ultra. I have not yet tried the Roku Vudu app with my TV but I tried the internal one and it played back HDX content fine. I'll give the Roku Vudu app a try and report back.
Thanks, another question to all can anybody recommend basic 2 point color settings? I have tried the recommended settings on the ratings site and the other site but I feel in the ISF modes the reds are to red when using the Warm 2 setting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff
post #5498 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Anyone know anything about the B7A model? Is the B7 being replaced?

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...ec%20Sheet.pdf
post #5499 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5815
There is a thread on it here already, no one seems sure. Its silly for LG to have so many models, when they need like 4.

1 - Costco/Sams model
2 - Base model with no advanced sound bar
3 - Mid tier model with sound bar
4 - Wall paper premium model
venus933 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
post #5500 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

are there any user calibration settings online anywhere for HDR or Dolby Vision?...I see places that list their preferred standard calibration settings for the set but I don't see anywhere that lists HDR or Dolby Vision settings...each picture setting has its own set of options (Sharpness, OLED Light, Contrast etc) and there's no way that the standard calibration settings will apply to HDR/DV
post #5501 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Hello,

should I use an specific HDMI input to get the lowest input lag in videogames?

I ask this because:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rs-thread.html

buzzard767 tested the input lag and found:
"1. Display lag measured with a Leo Bodnar tester. Getting this out of the way. I'm not a gamer......

HDMI1 - All modes 50ms

HDMI3
ISF Mode - 120ms
Game Mode - 64ms
Rename input from HDMI3 to PC - 50ms
"

Thank you.
post #5502 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
are there any user calibration settings online anywhere for HDR or Dolby Vision?...I see places that list their preferred standard calibration settings for the set but I don't see anywhere that lists HDR or Dolby Vision settings...each picture setting has its own set of options (Sharpness, OLED Light, Contrast etc) and there's no way that the standard calibration settings will apply to HDR/DV

From what I have been told, just leave the DV settings alone in its mode.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #5503 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

DV did look pretty impressive with all the default settings (Bosch Season 2 via the Amazon app)...I'm hoping more sites and users will list their HDR settings as more people get the set...even watching 4K without HDR and even that has its own set of options...lots of different modes to calibrate with this set
post #5504 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Reset the initial configuration of inputs?

I'm wanting to review and potentially change the settings that were configured when I first started the set...but I don't want to wipe everything else out.

I've tried to find it in the settings and all I seem to find is the area where I could configure a new connection.

Is there a way to review the settings of an input configuration, or must I just delete it and start over?

I'm troubleshooting an issue where I have my Dish and Apple TV both running through the Denon X3300 receiver (fully 4K compliant, but not yet for Dolby Vision). I'm using a Harmony remote, and it's configured to turn the TV on, set it to HDMI2, turn the receiver on, set to Dish output, and then stop. That works fine, but then the Apple TV is getting turned on, and then the Receiver switches to Apple TV out.

I know it's an HDMI-CEC config issue, as if I shut off Simplink in the LG, it doesn't happen.

When I first got the set, I remember the configuration Wizard asking a lot of questions, and what I'm thinking is that since I said that both the Dish and Apple TV run into the TV through HDMI2, that the LG is turning the Apple TV on, and then the Denon flips the output to Apple TV. The flaw in that logic is that I've shut HDMI CEC OFF in the Apple TV, but this is still happening, so that's strange.
post #5505 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
DV did look pretty impressive with all the default settings (Bosch Season 2 via the Amazon app)...I'm hoping more sites and users will list their HDR settings as more people get the set...even watching 4K without HDR and even that has its own set of options...lots of different modes to calibrate with this set
According t @jrref the 2017 DV modes are pretty close, and Dolby does recommend the settings stay the same unless you get access with Calman and actually do a DV calibration and load the new file into the mapping engine. Kinda nice to know the stock mode is pretty good.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #5506 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I had Chad B over yesterday and he calibrated both the C7 and my Yamaha Atmos setup. He didn't calibrate DV per the new method recently introduced but he did change the white balance.

He was here a good 9 hours so I only watched an episode of Iron Fist last night on Netflix which is in DV. I can say without a doubt whatever he did in DV reduced the grain by a good margin! I had to look for it instead of it being omnipresent like before.

I'll reserve judgement on STD and HDR10 until I've had a few days to watch familiar things but I'm sure those will be improved as well. While he was playing his Dark Knight demo disc it looked fantastic and that was just a regular Blu Ray!

My 5.2.4 setup is improved as well! Integration of the speakers is a lot smoother and the bass is blending in nicely.

About to fire up John Wick 2 in 4k on the Oppo so looking forward to checking out something I haven't seen yet.
mnc, Medicine_Man and venus933 like this.
post #5507 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1012 View Post
I had Chad B over yesterday and he calibrated both the C7 and my Yamaha Atmos setup. He didn't calibrate DV per the new method recently introduced but he did change the white balance.

He was here a good 9 hours so I only watched an episode of Iron Fist last night on Netflix which is in DV. I can say without a doubt whatever he did in DV reduced the grain by a good margin! I had to look for it instead of it being omnipresent like before.

I'll reserve judgement on STD and HDR10 until I've had a few days to watch familiar things but I'm sure those will be improved as well. While he was playing his Dark Knight demo disc it looked fantastic and that was just a regular Blu Ray!

My 5.2.4 setup is improved as well! Integration of the speakers is a lot smoother and the bass is blending in nicely.

About to fire up John Wick 2 in 4k on the Oppo so looking forward to checking out something I haven't seen yet.
Yeah, Chad is set to touch my stuff up and do my new audio setup in Sept. If the generator that he has doesn't get a DV update, he may have to buy a new one. The HDR race is not just expensive for us consumers, its costly for the calibrators too.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #5508 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
FWIW, Rting's settings are a bit weird. They do super dark room with a 2.2 gamma instead of 2.4 or BT, and they drop the OLED light to 16. Trend on this thread is to run the higher gamma, have Light a few ticks up, and turn contrast down to ~85 to avoid white clipping. May be worth trying that general setup to see which you like better.
Thank you!

This is one hella-long thread BTW to pick out the best nuggets.

I agree about the OLED light, I put it up to about 30 I think. I'll try this at home tonight.
post #5509 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Hello,

should I use an specific HDMI input to get the lowest input lag in videogames?

I ask this because:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rs-thread.html

buzzard767 tested the input lag and found:
"1. Display lag measured with a Leo Bodnar tester. Getting this out of the way. I'm not a gamer......

HDMI1 - All modes 50ms

HDMI3
ISF Mode - 120ms
Game Mode - 64ms
Rename input from HDMI3 to PC - 50ms
"

Thank you.
Any of the HDMI inputs are OK, set the console's input to "Game Mode" and you will have 17ms latency as per a s/w update that came out months ago. You can tweak brightness/contrast/color but don't turn on any feature that is turned off such as "dynamic contrast". You can find the test data on this at rtings.com.
post #5510 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks to all the great information and contributions on this forum, I've decided to pull the trigger on the C7. In order to achieve a more clean look in my small apartment living room, I am (reluctantly) ditching my existing AVR and tower speakers and going the sound bar route (basically looking to do the opposite of gadgtfreek's very impressive system!). Since I will need a new TV stand anyway, I'd prefer one with a topshelf wide enough to accommodate the soundbar since the stand to this display is in the middle and the soundbar will not fit under it (since I'm getting a new TV table anyway, I figure I might as well get one that fits the soundbar within the stand rather than put the TV on brackets that can raise it up high enough to fit the sound bar, which I saw suggested earlier in this forum).

If anyone is using a TV stand with a wide topshelf that fits a sound bar, would love to hear what model and where you got it?

And thanks again to everyone who makes a positive contribution to these forums!
post #5511 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
Any of the HDMI inputs are OK, set the console's input to "Game Mode" and you will have 17ms latency as per a s/w update that came out months ago. You can tweak brightness/contrast/color but don't turn on any feature that is turned off such as "dynamic contrast". You can find the test data on this at rtings.com.
Thank you Coffee. Yeah it says 21ms lag in ratings, I guess before the update.

Sorry about my gnorance but I saw that these tvs have 120hz refresh rates. Do this mean I can actually select 120hz in my ps4 or pc or is it some sort of internal refresh rate (as older models)?
post #5512 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaldanh View Post
When you use ARC none of the receiver's on screen menus will display on the screen. There is no way for it to do so as the receiver is merely accepting an audio feed from the TV and processing it.
Sorry, but incorrect.

If I go in and select HDMI2 the display displays my Sony Bluray player and if I select 'Setup' on my NR1606, the setup menu is displayed on the TV.

And if I select Online Music that menu shows up on the screen.

So which of the 'recievers's on screen menus' are you speaking about?
post #5513 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Sorry, but incorrect.

If I go in and select HDMI2 the display displays my Sony Bluray player and if I select 'Setup' on my NR1606, the setup menu is displayed on the TV.

And if I select Online Music that menu shows up on the screen.

So which of the 'recievers's on screen menus' are you speaking about?
Using ARC means you are sending sound from the TV to the receiver from whatever TV channel or app you are running on the TV. Switching to the HDMI input means the TV is receiving video from the receiver and is NOT sending audio over ARC (since the audio source is now whatever is selected on the receiver). So the only time ARC is in use is when you are NOT viewing video from the receiver, and hence the receiver can not add overlays or menus to the video since it isn't in control.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #5514 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just got a B7 up here in Canada and it doesn't have a crescent stand. Didn't realize there'd be a difference in contents from country to country. I guess the crescent stand is in the u.s maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5515 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by offsidewing View Post
Huh. I'll have to go back an watch some stuff. I watch LG Chess Match and the lame Jazz Band demos and they look great. Admittedly, the rest of the few HDR clips on all of Youtube don't look as crisp as those, which I attributed to the source material and it being streamed. I mean, while it does have HDR content, there is little else I use youtube for other than epic fail videos and banding images.
Perhaps because I'm a cord cutter and rely on OTA, streaming and disks I've found YouTube to be a godsend. It's essentially a back door to access many outlets and you'll have no shortage of viewpoints when researching a product and some youTubers are quite interesting and entertaining. For example I enjoy watching videos form Vincent Teoh/HDTV.

As for the HDR demos, they're nice but they're just demos. But still, I want it fixed!

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #5516 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Just got a B7 up here in Canada and it doesn't have a crescent stand. Didn't realize there'd be a difference in contents from country to country. I guess the crescent stand is in the u.s maybe?

Nope, not here. I've seen it on European models - yup, YouTube videos.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #5517 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Nope, not here. I've seen it on European models - yup, YouTube videos.

Okay. Is your stand black? How is the picture quality? I haven't set up yet.

post #5518 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Okay. Is your stand black? How is the picture quality? I haven't set up yet.

I have the C7 which has a silver stand but the B7 in our market (U.S.) does have the black stand.

The E7 won the 2017 HDTV Shootout and the other models have the same SoC and panel so the PQ must be pretty good right?

My near black banding is fairly minimal and only fleeing shows up in content and I have no vignetting. IMO video noise, posterization and gradient banding are more than I like on some poor sources but if you don't veer much from Blu-ray and high quality streaming this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

My advice per usual is to just use if for about 20 hours before coming to any conclusions.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
post #5519 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post
Last night I could not get Dolby Vision to work with Netflix using the LG app. It was working fine previously. I checked a Vudu movie and DV worked fine, so must be Netflix problem. I will try it again later today to see if it's working or not. Anyone else experience this? Update, working okay today so don't know why not last night?
I read that Dolby Vision only works with the .09 firmware for the LG...is that true? In other words, are you on .09 or higher? I've held off for that update due to the YouTube problem, but if it's needed for Netflix DV, I may go ahead and update since we would watch a lot more Netflix then YouTube.
post #5520 of 35765 Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
You can download the videos from the web to a USB device and play them. They will look correct and clearly different from the youTube versions. YouTube use to look the same.

Worst case scenario (as in no fix in the foreseeable future), I'll use the YouTube HDR enabled app from the UHD Blu-ray player I'm looking at.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page