2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980714Likes

post #10891 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Agree as well. The only potential scenario I see benefit are those with the wallpaper series which does have actual upfiring speakers. If one of those users is connecting a blu ray directly to tv and wants to get atmos (which is only truehd encoded) from connected sound bar then this update would accomplish that. For everyone else it really serves no practical purpose. Of course if you are spending 10K on a TV one would hope some money was put into a proper sound system but you never know.
Yep, truly nothing like an Atmos soundbar without even a subwoofer. Oy... oy... oy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wanting to purchase the 65" B7 for mostly gaming, pc and xbox one X/PS4 Pro and 4k blu ray. Has the issue with color brightness been fixed on HDR with game mode on? I also hear the color brightness is low in PC mode with 4:4:4 color and HDR on. Basically want to know if the color brightness is going to be sacrificed in certain modes that make the input lag lower. I will mostly be gaming with HDR mode on so this is a big concern for me. Switching from a Samsung KS8500 Thanks!

Last edited by Treyplay; 10-19-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #10893 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I don't know about the IR command, but on my ARC setup when I turn off the AVR the TV automatically switches back to internal speakers. You might make sure you have the appropriate settings enabled for your AVR. On mine, I have HDMI control set to on.
I currently have my Harmony setup to turn on the AVR first, then the TV, then my Apple TV. It seems to randomly come up in either Internal TV speakers, or ARC. I wish I knew if a CEC command was being missed, or who was sending the command to switch to either audio device. Looks like I need to keep debugging this. Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10894 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Planning on getting a C7, my questions is will my wall mount i was using on my Samsung TV work for the LG? I had heard that LG requires their own mount to be used...

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #10895 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So for those of you that use Gaming Mode on their C7, how many are setting Dynamic Contrast to low??
post #10896 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothyDog View Post
It would be nice if I could change the audio option from ARC to Internal TV Speakers, when I don't need the huge sound of my AVR. Navigating through the settings is annoying. Is there a discrete IR command to do this? Thanks!
Easy. Just turn off your AVR and the sound output will revert to the internal TV speaker automatically.
post #10897 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyplay View Post
Wanting to purchase the 65" B7 for mostly gaming, pc and xbox one X/PS4 Pro and 4k blu ray. Has the issue with color brightness been fixed on HDR with game mode on? I also hear the color brightness is low in PC mode with 4:4:4 color and HDR on. Basically want to know if the color brightness is going to be sacrificed in certain modes that make the input lag lower. I will mostly be gaming with HDR mode on so this is a big concern for me. Switching from a Samsung KS8500 Thanks!
Hello, I came across this German youtube review on avforums, Jabba said:

While the cinema & technicolor picture modes are on the right track with Active HDR support the HDR game mode is seriously lacking, because:
1) It's too dim, and unlike Panasonic they don't offer the option to modify the contrast in order to brighten the HDR game picture
2) disappointing motion resolution and no BFI

- banding when displaying HDR content in PC mode

- I didn't know this one: Displaying 4K24 HDR content in the Youtube App is fine, so it's "only" 4K60 HDR content that is affected by a washed out picture

https://youtu.be/dohhYTcvJPQ
Treyplay likes this.
post #10898 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
Planning on getting a C7, my questions is will my wall mount i was using on my Samsung TV work for the LG? I had heard that LG requires their own mount to be used...
You don't need to use LG specific mount. As long as the mount you have is compatible with VESA 300x200 , it should work.
Eclipse01 likes this.

LG OLED 55C6P | LG OLED 65B7A | Denon AVR-X8500H | Denon AVR X4300H | Parasound 2125, Monolith X7 and ATI 1506 Amps | Definitive Technology Speakers /w Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 with 9.1.4 Atmos | LG UP970 and Oppo 203 UHD Players | Nvidia Shield | ATV4K | Roku Ultra | Amazon FireTV
post #10899 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Well I had more of a play with youtube HDR tonight.

Something's definitely not working properly, as I already knew.

I'm still on firmware 3.60.09 because even though I was offered the new firmware yesterday and the previous day, now when I go to search for update, it says "no update found", so maybe LG has pulled the update??

I did discover that HLG HDR videos play OK. It's only the "PQ" ones that are mostly broken.

I ended up on the HDR Channel, and it was pretty much a crapshoot on which videos would work and which wouldn't. The space ones seemed to look ok, also the Sony Glass Blowing and Fountains of Bellagio looked OK.

The problem is most apparent in brighter scenes. The worst ones I saw were (in this order):
    • See the unexpected from Samsung and Redbull in HDR
    • Native American Fancy War Dance - Jacob + Katie Schwarz
    • World in HDR - Jacob + Katie Schwarz
    • Real 4K HDR:TCL Supercars in HDR
    • Sony Food Fizzle
Now, I have the "See the unexpected" one as a download from here, so I can directly compare that with the youtube version.

The weird thing is that All are VP9.2 smtpe2084 (PQ) / bt2020 in the nerd stats, but some seem to work properly and most don't. Actually I do notice that the ones that looked ok were all sort of dark videos so maybe it's just not exhibiting the problem because it's not a bright enough screen to do the washout look.

I took a few pictures to compare for the videos where I already had a downloaded version. The camera didn't really capture the difference well but the washed out ones are obviously the youtube clips. They don't look so bad in the pics but look like garbage in real life. Nothing like a highend HDR TV (or even a lowend HDR TV) should look.

No way can anyone tell me that nothing is wrong with youtube HDR on this TV. It is 100% super obvious when you look at the houses at the very start of that "see the unexpected" video.

It's very disappointing. Only about 10% of the videos that I tried looked even close to right to me, and I played a lot. An awesome TV crippled by a stupid bug, and no fix in sight. I don't really want to buy an external device just to see some HDR demos when I have a nice TV that should (and was) already able to do it.

Come on LG!! Just admit it's broken and fix it please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
I believe it's the LG's VP9.2 HDR tonemapping. We only see it on youtube because they are the only ones using VP9.2 codec.

I hope to prove this - I have sent a video downloaded off youtube using youtube-dl to someone on the older, non-broken firmware to test, just waiting on him to try it out.

It plays washed-out on my 3.60.09 fw C7. If it plays ok for him, which I think it will, that will prove that it is LG at fault.

Or you can get the video yourself using youtube-dl:
Code:
youtube-dl -f 337+140 --merge-output-format mkv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U
Then compare it to the 308Mb downloadable version from http://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Of course, even if it plays washed-out on the old fw, it still doesn't completely prove it's youtube's fault - maybe the LG never played downloaded VP9.2 HDR videos OK... but if that file plays OK on the old fw, in my opinion that proves conclusively that VP9.2 HDR was broken by LG with their firmware update, because they can no longer blame the youtube app.

Anyone else on the older fw want the link to test?
OK here are my findings:

The videos look MUCH better when played through the YouTube app on the LG. The ones you provided are all washed out. Not sure if that's what you expected? Screen shots below. For each pair, the first is the file you provided, the 2nd image is the YouTube app on the LG.

(Not sure why they're flipping, they look fine on my end when I attach them!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2301296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3393.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2301298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2301300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2301302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2301304  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2301306  

LG OLED65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K
post #10900 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
You don't need to use LG specific mount. As long as the mount you have is compatible with VESA 300x200 , it should work.
any benefit to using an LG mount?

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #10901 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just got my B7A in today and I have yellow band on the left ~4 inches of the TV like many others have reported.

Is there a consensus as to whether or not an exchange unit will likely the fix the problem? Is it something I'm just going to have to deal with?
post #10902 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7293 Post(s)
Liked: 7327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
any benefit to using an LG mount?
Nope, your wallet will be a little lighter, that's about it. Depending on what you have you may have to go to the Home Depot and get some metric bolts.
post #10903 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
I'm dead set on getting a B7 but don't know what soundbar or soundbase to get. I'm looking for minimal footprint as I will have both the TV and the bar/base on a desk, so something that fits nicely behind/in front/under the B7 specifically. Looking for clarity over power since it's in a small office. Don't care about surround or atmos/ dts-x. Max $300 and something with a wireless subwoofer. There's like a million of them. Some examples are YAS-207, HW-M450, SB3821...
I got the Yamaha YAS 107 and added a wired subwoofer I already had - this is one of the few sound bars I could find with a input for an existing wired sub - and I love it. It has good bass even without the sub too, and I imagine the YAS 207 would also perform well.

I tried and LG SJ7 soundbar and had terrible A/V synch problems with it, quite odd since I would have thought the two LG products would have worked well together, but I could never get them to synch properly (plus it had an annoying LED light on the front that would never turn off).
post #10904 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Correction to above - it was the LG SJ8 that I had synch and the LED light problems with...
post #10905 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
The only potential scenario I see benefit are those with the wallpaper series which does have actual upfiring speakers.
Nope, the soundbar provided with W series does not have upfiring speakers for Atmos. LG missed the boat on this one...
post #10906 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocirahl View Post
Just got my B7A in today and I have yellow band on the left ~4 inches of the TV like many others have reported.

Is there a consensus as to whether or not an exchange unit will likely the fix the problem? Is it something I'm just going to have to deal with?
Does it change based on your viewing angle? As in, if you move yourself 2 feet to the right of where you're sitting when facing the TV, does the yellow disappear from the left side? If it does, they're all* like this.

*all = every single one I've tested - which is a lot of OLEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
So for those of you that use Gaming Mode on their C7, how many are setting Dynamic Contrast to low??
I do. Looks great.
post #10907 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Does it change based on your viewing angle? As in, if you move yourself 2 feet to the right of where you're sitting when facing the TV, does the yellow disappear from the left side? If it does, they're all* like this.

*all = every single one I've tested - which is a lot of OLEDs.
Yes it's only visible from a fairly narrow range of angles. Funny enough in my living room, I can see it from where I sit, but if I sit where my wife normally does (2 feet to the right), I can't see it.

I guess I'll just have to live with it then; I was worried this was damage caused by bending or something.

Thanks!
post #10908 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Agree as well. The only potential scenario I see benefit are those with the wallpaper series which does have actual upfiring speakers. If one of those users is connecting a blu ray directly to tv and wants to get atmos (which is only truehd encoded) from connected sound bar then this update would accomplish that. For everyone else it really serves no practical purpose. Of course if you are spending 10K on a TV one would hope some money was put into a proper sound system but you never know.

I have an SJ9 arriving tomorrow, so I have no way of testing this yet (Xbox One X will be my first Atmos capable device), but are you saying I won’t be able to connect the Xbox to the TV via HDMI then run HDMI to the soundbar (either Arc or standard port) to get Atmos audio?

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
post #10909 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocirahl View Post
Yes it's only visible from a fairly narrow range of angles. Funny enough in my living room, I can see it from where I sit, but if I sit where my wife normally does (2 feet to the right), I can't see it.

I guess I'll just have to live with it then; I was worried this was damage caused by bending or something.

Thanks!
Yeah, it's just a byproduct (I believe) of the anti-reflective screen coating. Every single 2017 OLED I've tested has this issue (all LGs and the Sony A1E). Also, if you sit further to the right, the right edge will show that yellow band while the left side looks perfect. Oy gevalt...

I tend to only notice it on cream-colored scenes or really pure white scenes, so it's OCCASIONALLY distracting. But 99.9% of the time I'm in OLED heaven.

Enjoy your new TV!
post #10910 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Activating the magic remote pointer and clicking on the top left corner of the screen brings up the active input, clicking again brings up aspect ratio, resolution, color specs and sound mode. However I only get PCM displayed when viewing a signal from my AVR connected to ARC (HDMI 2) even when playing a DTS:X Blu Ray disc. See pic #2 However the Forbes article on the new firmware shows a pic with Dolby Atmos displayed (see 1st pic). Perhaps this is only enabled when connecting the Blu Ray player directly to the TV?
That makes sense to me because the AVR is removing the audio stream before it gets to the TV.

I think you are correct about the Blu Ray being directly connected to the TV in that case.
post #10911 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
OK here are my findings:

The videos look MUCH better when played through the YouTube app on the LG. The ones you provided are all washed out. Not sure if that's what you expected? Screen shots below. For each pair, the first is the file you provided, the 2nd image is the YouTube app on the LG.

(Not sure why they're flipping, they look fine on my end when I attach them!)
OK, thanks heaps for checking!

The washed-out videos you were seeing are what people on the current firmware are complaining about with youtube HDR. Sucks, doesn't it...

I thought that file would work on your old firmware TV but apparently whatever magic info that needs to be in the file to send the TV into HDR mode isn't there. Odd because "ffmpeg -i" lists HDR info - min/max brightness, etc (I forget the exact stuff, can post it later) in the mkv headers for the file but the TV isn't respecting it.

That still doesn't prove it's not LG's fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
Hello, I came across this German youtube review on avforums, Jabba said:
<snip>
I didn't know this one: Displaying 4K24 HDR content in the Youtube App is fine, so it's "only" 4K60 HDR content that is affected by a washed out picture

https://youtu.be/dohhYTcvJPQ
...the plot thickens... That would explain why not all the HDR videos on youtube are affected.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.
post #10912 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeAyKay View Post
I *definitely* notice an issue with HDR YouTube, but I will echo that it doesn't seem to impact everything. Have people with issues taken a look at the cosmos laundromat? That looked very well mapped but maybe I just can't tell the difference. The look of the world video is definitely washed out in comparison.
Yep, I watched that one and it looked ok for me too.
post #10913 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
Nope, the soundbar provided with W series does not have upfiring speakers for Atmos. LG missed the boat on this one...
All the pictures I have seen looks like it has upfiring speakers that pop up when powered on. Was I looking at the wrong model or are this not Atmos upfiring speakers ?

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #10914 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
As someone who is using one of these heavily for gaming, I am fairly disappointed with the state of HDR on it so far.
noobtv likes this.
post #10915 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelrode View Post
As someone who is using one of these heavily for gaming, I am fairly disappointed with the state of HDR on it so far.
I agree completely. It's really a mess. I don't game on the TV yet, but thinking about getting a ps4 so I'm hoping LG might actually fix something by the time I get that.

Between youtube HDR being broken and all these complicated settings I'm reading about to get your HDR gaming to look reasonable without a dim screen or posterisation, it's a fiasco.

These are meant to be flagship HDR TVs!!
post #10916 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Do all of the Picture Modes have a 21ms input lag, or is it only the Game preset mode??

Last edited by dabeast; 10-19-2017 at 04:51 PM.
post #10917 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Do you guys recommend the SquareTrade warranty on my 65c7pi got from Amazon?

Thanks.
Square Trade gets good reviews and I had it on my VT60, but keep in mind the value of the warranty is based on the cost of the TV. So if the TV is $2K and you say have some repairs that total $1K and then your panel goes they will write you a check for $1K and be done with you. The will only pay for total repairs over the life of the warranty that do not exceed the cost of the TV.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s

Last edited by kluken; 10-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
post #10918 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shepherd View Post
Hi All,

First post over here at AVS. Purchased a 55" C7 from Currys here in the UK last week, happy with it all except white screens. Got some yellow tint going on, banding is not a problem.

Just a bit of advice really, should I exchange the set? I've only noticed a tint when on white screens, which isnt a great amount if I'm honest but noticeable on websites or TV adverts which are white. Uploaded some shots below, what do you think?
I am in same boat with my 65C7, I have excellent except some yellow. Finally caved and they are coming out next weekend to replace panel and I am nervous. I would hate to trade yellow tint for banding.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #10919 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I primarily bought the LG C7 for HDR gaming. And owning this set well over a month.. I can honestly say that HDR gaming looks great. LG Game Mode can appear dim for games like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn.. and I'll admit that I wasn't a big fan at first.. but try playing in a semi dark room and I promise you it'll look great. Now try playing Final Fantasy and it looks perfect in HDR Game while Standard is way too bright. It really just depends on how HDR is implemented in the game. LG recommended to use Low Dynamic Contrast to brighten up the image but honestly it really doesn't help.. It was a decision by them to lower the Gamma so details could be preserved and not clip. For instance in Uncharted 4.. Anyone can go to the Madagascar Chapter and look at the clouds.. While Standard had a brighter image.. it overexposed the clouds in the sky causing details to be lost. HDR Game preserved those details and overall the image looked significantly better. I really hope LG fixes PC mode so that we are able to play in 4:4:4 Chroma.
ataneruo and Datagg like this.
post #10920 of 37128 Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
Do all of the Picture Modes have a 21ms input lag, or is it only the Game preset mode??
No, only Game Mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page