2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980209Likes

post #11731 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A friend is reporting that post-firmware upgrade he's lost audio out to his soundbar. It goes:

ATV ---HDMI--->TV---HDMI---> Bose Soundtouch 300 and after he did the upgrade he got no sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a sticky for new owners for recommended break-in and calibration?

I'm about to buy a OLED65C7P. So far I think I've discovered conventional wisdom is to run the D-nice break-in images for 40 hours on vivid with brightness at max (did I get that right?). Then what? I don't want to spend the money on professional calibration but I would love to use some suggested calibration settings. Are these on a stickie somewhere? My target is to watch UHD movies from a UHD player and stream Netflix/Amazon/HBO. Not interested in gaming.

Thanks in advance.
post #11733 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4277 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
I was over at Value Electronic today and looked at a W7 with the new firmware update. As far as the technicolor picture mode, in my opinion, nothing revolutionary. They increased the OLED light to 100 and set the Gamma to 1886 so it's kind of equivalent to ISF bright with a gamma of 1886 picture mode. Out of the box, there is a slight blue push which is why some like this mode but no major change from what I can see. In looking at the near black details, my guess is that the gamma is off on the low end which is pretty typical. I'll post the calman scans next week when I calibrate another set to see exactly what the technicolor PM looks like. All that said, I think it's great that LG is making a lot of changes and incorporating new technology. I feel that overall, technicolor is just another picture mode that users who don't calibrate can select which is a good thing.
RichB, Reflex-Arc, OddyOh and 2 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11734 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I was over at Value Electronic today and looked at a W7 with the new firmware update. As far as the technicolor picture mode, in my opinion, nothing revolutionary. They increased the OLED light to 100 and set the Gamma to 1886 so it's kind of equivalent to ISF bright with a gamma of 1886 picture mode. Out of the box, there is a slight blue push which is why some like this mode but no major change from what I can see. In looking at the near black details, my guess is that the gamma is off on the low end which is pretty typical. I'll post the calman scans next week when I calibrate another set to see exactly what the technicolor PM looks like. All that said, I think it's great that LG is making a lot of changes and incorporating new technology. I feel that overall, technicolor is just another picture mode that users who don't calibrate can select which is a good thing.
What does the technicolor picture mode have to with well Technicolor the company? Sounds like it's nothing more than how they would configure the settings if it was up to them.

I thought it would add some sort of magic dust to HRD10 content (emulate HDR10 Dynamic metadata). That's the impression I got when read about Technicolor's involvement with this year's models early in the year.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #11735 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just purchased the 55C7P to replace my 55EC9300 OLED. Have them hooked up side by side streaming Netflix and I'm shocked that the 1080 55EC9300 looks clearer than the 4k C7P. The C7P is displaying more picture noise and dithering than the EC9300.

I did have my EC9300 calibrated by Chad B but even with some simple adjustments to the C7P I was expecting more. Anyone else experience this or have any advice to fix it?

Im using ISF Bright Room

All Enhancements turned off

Sharpness 0

Does this thing need some noise reduction enabled?
post #11736 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassillios View Post
Ok, so I figured out the problem was with Apple TV, I gave up and tried a 4K movie from my Opponent player
Did you try resetting the ATV? Perhaps connecting directly to the LG? I have an ATV 4K to an X4300 (with DV pass through) and have no trouble enabling or disabling any supported video format.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #11737 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
Im watching ST2 in Dolby Vision and the blacks are deep as ****.

No grey even the little black bars are complete black.

I think you people messed up too much with the settings

Really liking ST2 visually, not so much the story in season 2, no where near as good as season 1.

The color dynamics and HDR are really good.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11738 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
Im watching ST2 in Dolby Vision and the blacks are deep as ****.

No grey even the little black bars are complete black.

I think you people messed up too much with the settings

Really liking ST2 visually, not so much the story in season 2, no where near as good as season 1.

The color dynamics and HDR are really good.
Besides the noise it does look pretty good.
post #11739 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
HDR is and will be too much important even in gaming to disable completely.
It is much more a noticeable improvement compared to 4K resolution only, and a must-have for future Xbox One X owners (it can handle Native 4K, HDR and 60fps)

For this reason, "PC Mode" is not recommended for HDR Gaming, and as a matter of fact: "Game Console" input mode + "HDR Game Mode" + "Dynamic Contrast: Low" is NOT so dim as 2016 models, and it's bright perfectly good in a dark room.

To each its own, but, in my opinion, HDR isn't all that it's been hyped up to be, especially on OLEDs, which don't have the luminosity (nits) required to actually make a difference for that kind of content.

4K, on the other hand, is a much more noticeable improvement, especially for PC gamers. Consoles, up until the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X, could barely output a true 1080p picture; and even now, with these mid-generation upgrades, very few games are rendered in native 4K, and most run at 30FPS or less.

As I said, if you're using your OLED as a monitor for a high-end PC, 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and the ability to run games in 4K at 60FPS with a full color range is more important than HDR. So, if you don't care for the latter, "PC" as the input label is the only way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuja View Post
I know it's tedious having to change the input label, and NCP settings, but this is the only way that I found that guarantees the best quality in both SDR and HDR content.

What version of Windows are you in? Are you on the Preview program or have the Fall update already installed, somehow? Because HDR implementation for the Creators Update was completely botched.
ataneruo likes this.
post #11740 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New B7A owner, love pretty much all of it at this point. The one issue I am running into is super inconsistent IR interaction with my xbox one. On my previous tv the turn on / off in conjunction with the Xbox worked great. With this tv it is really inconsistent, working maybe 1/4 of the time. Any ideas? i have tried resyncing through the xbox and have gone through the LG menu to connect them.

I believe the IR signal goes from the Kinect, bounces off the wall behind me (this part I am assuming) and makes it to the IR area on the LG TV.

Any and all help is appreciated!
post #11741 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello... I have the LG OLED65B7A and I stumble across the LG remote was able to control my 2 firesticks. I was fine using them for about an hour or so and then the LG remote stopped working one of the firesticks, one's working and the other just stopped controlling the FS. Can't get it to link to it again.
Anyone else been able to link the FS And LG remotes?
post #11742 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
What does the technicolor picture mode have to with well Technicolor the company? Sounds like it's nothing more than how they would configure the settings if it was up to them.

I thought it would add some sort of magic dust to HRD10 content (emulate HDR10 Dynamic metadata). That's the impression I got when read about Technicolor's involvement with this year's models early in the year.
I believe there is still an update coming to do what you describe. This was just the first phase of Technicolor involvement.
post #11743 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You just made me think, maybe the big old bezel hides bend in screens? They are there we just can not see them due to a bezel......These are true bezel less TV's......
My C7 is flat, no bend.
post #11744 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgadgets View Post
Firstly this is my first post on AVSForum! And secondly I have posted this question on another forum without an answer so I thought I would try on a larger audience......

OK so I have a C7t 55" (Australia)

My issue is that when the TV is connected to my AVR (Denon AVR-791) via HDMI (ARC) Netflix and the Dolby Vision apps output weird noises, the AVR displays DD+.

DD works fine with FTA TV / playing files directly on the TV.

I get DD when connected via optical for all of the above.

After the latest SW update it does the same thing when I run sound through the TV from my HTPC, when I connect a separate HDMI to the AVR I get DD+ with no issues at all. Dolby Atmos files play at Dolby TrueHD.

So to me after all the testing I have done it looks like the TV is outputting audio that my AVR can't decode/output.

I understand that the AVR is around 7 years old and is possibly not compatible, however what I don't get is why the audio that is output from these apps doesn't work correctly when it in fact works from my HTPC directly to the AVR.

I have had the issue logged with LG for a few weeks however they haven't a clue why this is happening. Getting quite frustrated with the lack of answers from them.!

Surely I am not the only person that has this particular setup..... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
You will have to contact Yamaha on that issue or post it in the Yamaha thread as it is an issue with the receiver not the TV

IE my Arcam receiver does not read Dolby Digital+ from ARC. It only reads Dolby Digital. According to Arcam they are waiting to release a firmware update to allow DD+ to be read over ARC. They first need Dolby approval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official ARC specs only specify PCM, DD, or DTS. Anything beyond that (like DD+) is not following the standard. Any TV that outputs DD+ over ARC is technically broken. If LG really wants to send out DD+ over ARC, they should add an option to turn it off for older receivers that implemented the original ARC spec as intended. I don't own these TV's but from what I recall, they only have an ARC option for PCM or Auto (and Auto means DD+ on Netflix). You either need to bug LG to add an option to pass DD over ARC like all other TV manufacturers (easy since they already do DD on optical) or get a newer receiver that unofficially extended the HDMI spec to support other ARC formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-a-r-k View Post
Just watched first 2 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix. Lovely sharp 4K - nice.
Dolby Vision Cinema Home settings are default.

Is it just me or does it look, sorta, ordinary? I haven't calibrated my Contrast (100) and Brightness (50) for DV and I think the general consensus is to leave it alone (as I have).
I was gobsmacked looking at some of the stuff in the Dolby app and the BBC HLG trial, but totally unimpressed with what I watched last night (story etc. aside) as it all looks kinda SDR to be honest.

Tell me it's the production...
Could be because Star Trek Discovery is not actually 4K. It's 1080p Dolby Vision. For access in USA, you would need a VPN to watch it.
post #11745 of 35835 Old 10-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobW View Post
It's probably been mentioned before, but if you access the youtube HDR clips via the TV browser, they look completely different - much better. Hard to say if this is because of HDR or simply better colour representation.
Interesting... Thanks for that!

The videos that have HDR are not being shown in HDR mode that way though, but you can see what the colors should actually look like because the SDR version is not shown washed out.

Also you can choose a resolution that way, which is a limitation that I find a little irritating with the app and my crappy internet. Sometimes I'd rather wait for buffering than watch in low quality.
ataneruo likes this.
post #11746 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Pardon my OCD but I can hear a faint (and constant) crackling/buzzing/whirring noise when I put my ear to the back of my 55" C7 (right where all the connectors are) in standby mode. Likely just electronics doing what they do, but I was just wondering if anybody else who's as crazy as I am noticed something similar on their set. Doesn't matter if cables are in or not. Thx

Last edited by NoHayBanda; 10-29-2017 at 12:28 AM.
post #11747 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anybody who had the Korean Firmware (04.70.06)updated via USB and then updated to the US version (04.70.07) over the air notice having to restart the set so the firmware could be applied? I was just curious if it was the same for everyone else? Doesn't it normally just restart on its own? Don't know why we had to manually restart the tv.. can anybody please let me know? Thanks.
post #11748 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Anyone else noticed the DV bug when watching ST2 That causes blank screens to output a bright white screen?
Usually before credits or after a transition scene where their is dead air between actual footage.

It’s like DV doesn’t know what to do when no image is present and either displays a grey or pure white screen.

also, I have a question about the remote for the C7. What is the stand by power button for?
Just connected equipment?
post #11749 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
Thanks for answering !
NBut see, the thing is : your attachment mentions an "Expert settings" menu. But the Standard mode doesn't have an "Expert settings" menu. It has an "Advanced settings" menu, but I wonder if the words have been chosen carefully. In which case, it would mean that no, DC for standard mode is just DC and doesn't trigger active hdr.
OK, so after two attempts I finally got an understandable answer from LG . It took some time because they needed to go to the engineers.
Basically I asked if Active HDR was applied to Standard Picture Mode HDR by selecting Dynamic Contrast (to any of the ON positions) as found in the Advanced Controls as it is for say the Cinema Mode where Dynamic Contrast is found under Expert Controls. Here is the reply ;

Firstly I apologize about confusion, your query not a common one but I am pretty sure I understand what you are talking about.
If I am correct you wish to know if the Active HDR feature which tries to bring other HDR standards up to the level of Dolby Vision with some clever software tricks applies to all HDR picture modes, including Standard.
This feature should be enabled on all HDR picture modes by default if the TV supports the feature. When you have HDR content on screen the picture modes will automatically roll over to the HDR set. Each of the available modes under HDR picture mode should have this feature enabled.
The option regardless of if it’s within the expert controls section or the advanced controls does the same thing. So Dynamic Contrast in Standard Picture mode makes Dynamic metadata just as it does in Cinema mode.

To me that seems to clear the issue up and we can believe that Active HDR for Standard Picture Mode is triggered by turning Dynamic Contrast On in the Advanced Picture Settings section. Hope this clears it up for you also.
post #11750 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
My C7 is flat, no bend.

Yours is not, but lots of us have bent screens.
post #11751 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHayBanda View Post
Pardon my OCD but I can hear a faint (and constant) crackling/buzzing/whirring noise when I put my ear to the back of my 55" C7

Why would you be doing that?
OddyOh, ataneruo, Ricker62 and 1 others like this.
post #11752 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
OK, so after two attempts I finally got an understandable answer from LG . It took some time because they needed to go to the engineers.
Basically I asked if Active HDR was applied to Standard Picture Mode HDR by selecting Dynamic Contrast (to any of the ON positions) as found in the Advanced Controls as it is for say the Cinema Mode where Dynamic Contrast is found under Expert Controls. Here is the reply ;

Firstly I apologize about confusion, your query not a common one but I am pretty sure I understand what you are talking about.
If I am correct you wish to know if the Active HDR feature which tries to bring other HDR standards up to the level of Dolby Vision with some clever software tricks applies to all HDR picture modes, including Standard.
This feature should be enabled on all HDR picture modes by default if the TV supports the feature. When you have HDR content on screen the picture modes will automatically roll over to the HDR set. Each of the available modes under HDR picture mode should have this feature enabled.
The option regardless of if it’s within the expert controls section or the advanced controls does the same thing. So Dynamic Contrast in Standard Picture mode makes Dynamic metadata just as it does in Cinema mode.

To me that seems to clear the issue up and we can believe that Active HDR for Standard Picture Mode is triggered by turning Dynamic Contrast On in the Advanced Picture Settings section. Hope this clears it up for you also.
You are THE BEST !!
Thank you for taking the time to ask and get and understandable answer.
Thank you very much.
post #11753 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
You are THE BEST !!
Thank you for taking the time to ask and get and understandable answer.
Thank you very much.
Not quite "the best" but I'm working on it !
Your gracious thanks are appreciated. I like it when we all try to help and respect each other and don't bicker as sometimes happens on these forums.
OddyOh, ataneruo, venus933 and 2 others like this.
post #11754 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyes Rodriguez View Post
Anybody who had the Korean Firmware (04.70.06)updated via USB and then updated to the US version (04.70.07) over the air notice having to restart the set so the firmware could be applied? I was just curious if it was the same for everyone else? Doesn't it normally just restart on its own? Don't know why we had to manually restart the tv.. can anybody please let me know? Thanks.
I received the OTA update in the Netherlands to 04.70.06 with automatic update.
And needed to restart to apply the update. So it seems normal.
post #11755 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcarv View Post
Why would you be doing that?
Slow day. Out of legitimate things to complain about...
But seriously, there is a noise, and you can hear it, with your ear near (or at) the back panel
ataneruo likes this.

Last edited by NoHayBanda; 10-29-2017 at 05:27 AM.
post #11756 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeK9X View Post
What version of Windows are you in? Are you on the Preview program or have the Fall update already installed, somehow? Because HDR implementation for the Creators Update was completely botched.
The Fall update already rolled out here and I'm using that. Some games still don't have proper working HDR unfortunately. It's still largely a hit or miss.
Forza 7 works perfect, so does Resident Evil 7, but Hitman broke for me again and Mass Effect kinda works in Dolbyvision if I'm lucky.

So yeah, HDR on PC is still less than ideal.
post #11757 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I noticed significant Motion handling improvements following the 4.7 firmware update.

I think prior to this update there was allot wrong with my LG OLED65C7 Motion handling and now it is less BLUR. Guessing that it fixed some internal issue.
post #11758 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHayBanda View Post
Slow day. Out of legitimate things to complain about...
But seriously, there is a noise, and you can hear it, with your ear near (or at) the back panel
Do you hear this all the time? Just after turning off the TV? If it's the latter, I'm wondering if you are hearing the automatic compensation cycle that is performed after every shutdown with more than 4 hours cumulative use?
post #11759 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post
I just purchased the 55C7P to replace my 55EC9300 OLED. Have them hooked up side by side streaming Netflix and I'm shocked that the 1080 55EC9300 looks clearer than the 4k C7P. The C7P is displaying more picture noise and dithering than the EC9300.

I did have my EC9300 calibrated by Chad B but even with some simple adjustments to the C7P I was expecting more. Anyone else experience this or have any advice to fix it?

Im using ISF Bright Room

All Enhancements turned off

Sharpness 0

Does this thing need some noise reduction enabled?

Anyone experience this?
post #11760 of 35835 Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcarv View Post
Agree with you on that one. Couldn’t care less how thin a tv is, it’s on the wall or in my case on my tv unit thinness doesn’t have any function in this case.

on another note I’m quite surprised that not many people are complaining about bent screens on the B7 and C7 forums. Maybe they haven’t noticed. To be honest I only noticed mine when I went round the tv to adjust how close to the wall the unit should be.

Have seen in older posts that there were many B6/C6 owners with bent screens.
You can’t complain about something that isn’t a problem for you. Mine is straight and if it wasn’t it would have gone back.

Many? A handful of AVS owners out of 100k plus who bought one. Sounds like a shipping issue for a few but not many
Datagg, venus933 and Madmax67 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page