2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 456 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980362Likes

post #13651 of 36269 Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I copied all the settings from DV Cinema user to DV Cinema and still the DV Cinema mode is darker. Are there any settings that the LG handles internally and cannot be changed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13652 of 36269 Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I put a piece of non-reflective black cloth over it and it just disappears.

Would you have a picture of that? Tanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
post #13653 of 36269 Old 11-17-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
I copied all the settings from DV Cinema user to DV Cinema and still the DV Cinema mode is darker. Are there any settings that the LG handles internally and cannot be changed?
I think cinema user is out of whack...cinema to my eyes looks more accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13654 of 36269 Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I think cinema user is out of whack...cinema to my eyes looks more accurate.

I prefer DV Cinema User during the day, DV Cinema at night

post #13655 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
Hi A,

Forgot to ask what you are doing with the color gamut in HDR effect mode. I find that wide is not so great very redish especially on skin so maybe extended as it seems to be between wide and auto.What your opinion.
To be honest I prefer Auto. I find that gives me plenty enough saturation and skin tones seem to look natural.
I do think though that we must be aware of variation in these TVs and Auto on mine may not look exactly the same as auto on yours.
I do need to get a professional calibration done and have contacted Vincent Teoh (who's offices is just a few miles from me ) but as yet he has been too busy to get over. I'm not too comfortable with using any one else's CMS settings, because of this TV variation, and so must bite the bullet and pay for an individual calibration. Looking forward to the day when sets will roll off the production line and not need a calibration beyond altering the OLED Light to suit individual conditions.
bigzee3 likes this.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 11-18-2017 at 03:43 AM.
post #13656 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Of course I did...cant make blanket statements just because your experiencing it...i can't upload photos because every time I try avs will not let me because of resolution...if someone knows how...ill be glad to do so...whether you choose to take my word is on you. On my end ST2 had no elevated blacks that you speak of from the internal app...in fact it was one of the most awesome displays of DV I've seen so far.
What tablet do you have? I use "Image Shrink Lite" on my Android tablet to shrink my pics.
post #13657 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post
No, same washed out picture with the update !

I did some testing the other day.
I downloaded the video "LG Colors of Journey HDR UHD (Chromecast Ultra)" from you-tube in 4k/60fps VP9 HDR format.
On the TV's You-Tube app it is washed out like all the 4k HDR videos (or at least the ones I have tried).
Note: this is the same video Vincent Teo was demonstrating on HDTV test with the LG panels.
I also downloaded the same video (not from you-tube) in 4k/60fps HEVC HDR format.
I put both on a USB stick and played thru the TV USB port.
The VP9 format was washed out just like on you-tube but the HEVC format was amazing !
I do not believe the you-tube app is the issue ?
I think the encoding on you-tube is not compatible with the TV's HDR decoding ???

Tried a couple other videos with the same result...

Todd
I've done the same thing (downloading the HDR format VP9.2 videos and playing with the media player) with other Youtube HDR videos and I agree.

But it is odd that people with the new firmware that haven't updated the Youtube app don't see the problem.

Also, just to let you know, I downloaded a youtube HDR format VP9.2 video and sent it to someone who is on the 3.51 firmware with no youtube HDR problems, and they said the downloaded video played washed-out on their TV.
post #13658 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky73 View Post
Like others have said - WebOS is BY FAR the best interface I have ever used on a TV. Worth the price of admission alone. Night and day better than ALL other TV brands. I was shocked at how good it is.

And I am a software UX designer by trade - so i am picky.
I agree, it's great overall.

But I wish there was more control over that magic cursor. I don't want the mouse thingy to come up every time I, eg press the settings cog button. Most of the time I just want to use it like a traditional remote. It would be good if it was off most of the time, and there was a button to make it appear or disappear.

I am aware that you can press an arrow button to make it disappear.
post #13659 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Urgently need a bit of help now, did ask this a couple weeks ago when I got the TV but unfortunately no response.

The headphone jack on my 55 inch B7 appears to be quite loose, i.e I can plug the 3.5mm jack in, but if I walk off with my headphones it can come out very easily and I lose all sound. Tried with two sets of headphones, no luck.

I've tried buying some wireless headphones and they're beyond rubbish with the LG set. Over Bluetooth there's far too big an annoying sound delay, and I even bought a low latency transmitter to try and get around this, made it even worse, during quiet scenes the sound cut out completely.

When the wired headphones are working I also get a low sounding hiss/static noise in the left cup of my headphones, it's not loud, but it's annoying when watching a film or TV series and the scene goes quiet.

Has anyone else had any issues with the audio jack? I'm about to return it, and it's potentially stopping me from purchasing another one.
post #13660 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
Is there a way to change the settings for the screensaver (fireworks)? It only takes 1-2 minutes till it is active and I would like to change this to something like 10-15 minutes.

Same question here... moreover, is it possible to call the screensaver to start? When listening to music, for example, I just need sometimes the screen on to see music details, AVR menu, etc but for most of the time I want to see the screensaver and ... save the screen

post #13661 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
A couple of observations:
1) The brightness control is 2x finer on the 2017 LGs than on the 2016 LGs which means one click is half of last years click. The reason is because everyone was complaining last year about crushed blacks and the adjustment was too course. Result, LG listened and improved the control but everyone is still complaining and trying to find that magic setting.
2) Since so many people purchased the B7, despite that nasty looking chrome boarder around the panel, at least in my opinion, proves that the "masses" will go for the cheapest set possible regardless of the compromises.
3) The 2017 LGs have improved dramatically in calibration out of the box thanks to LG listening and always trying to improve their product. The PQ is actually very good out of the box and if you get your set calibrated, it's even better but despite this, everyone is still trying to use other peoples settings and when they do, they always love the improvement because change = good . I saw that someone over on the A1E forum used recenty posted setting here on their A1E and thought the results were fantastic When I get a chance, i'm going to post the out of the box scans and the scans using some of these posted settings to prove how you actually make the set worse almost all the time with another set's settings lol. Best to just use ISF Bright or Dark or Technicolor picture modes, adjust the brightness and Tru Motion and enjoy the set.

I thing we need to get back to banding discussions and post some pictures lol
Here in the UK the only differences between the B7V and the C7 is the silver bezel and the crescent stand of the B7. However, when I bought my 65B7 for £3,300 the C7 (Currys exclusive) would have cost me £4,200. N.B. A B7 at Currys was £3,800 but I bought elsewhere)
I preferred the black bezel of the C7 and so bought some car door rubber trim to hide my silver bezel and it looks just great. A bit fiddly to get right but worth the effort for the saving. £900 buys a great player and lots of discs to watch.
post #13662 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Long time lurker, first time poster. Finally got my C7 a couple of days ago - stunning, breathtaking, life-changing etc.

But I'm still getting white flashes even after updating my firmware. Is there some other solution out there that I'm missing? And if not, is it worth exchanging the tv now while I still can or would another C7 just have the same issue?
post #13663 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hello Everyone, anyone can help with the film grain issue... i was watching batman vs superman 4k uhd bluray on my oppo203 connected straight to my 65E7 and the film grain at the beginning was unbearable in HDR, tried several HDR picture modes and film grain was on all of them. Especially at the beginning of the movie in the desert when there is wind and the sand is blowing and on their faces. It's just too much.
What to do to get rid of that film grain?
What to tweak in the Oppo or the TV, etc...?
post #13664 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I finally bought the oled65b7p yesterday, it will replace my sharp aquos lc-52e77un (2009). I was thinking buying the oled65b7p for couple months, and finally yesterday the price drop in Canada at 3000$. I didn't connect the TV yet, since im trying to find a xbox one x this morning
Culpepper likes this.
post #13665 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
You wont even notice the silver bezel. I thougt about it too since this will be in my living room for a while. I dont notice it and more importantly, the wife doesn't notice it.
It to small, it trim not a bezel...I thought we went over this...lol.....
towerboy likes this.
post #13666 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I know you were joking about this but I’m going to be serious for a moment since you have calibrated many of these sets. I have a 65c7p. I know they all have banding to some degree. I have a couple darker bands (what everyone is calling jailbars) and a darker left quarter of the panel. It will show up in real content like all the torture scenes referenced in the banding thread as well as many gray background screens in apps. Since the forums are biased toward users posting problems I don’t know if this is the norm with these sets and a great panel is really a rarity or not. I’m in the middle of trying to get LG to swap my panel but not sure how hard to push and escalate issue if it’s likely another will look the same. So if you don’t mind with all the sets you have calibrated what seems to be the norm? Can you see banding on most of these sets with the right material or should it typically just visible if you go looking on gray slides? So far lg is telling me it’s normal but I’m having a hard time letting it go even though it is a minority of content I can see it. Thanks for any insight you can offer.
This year I've seen very very few sets with serious banding. All OLEDs have some sort of banding to one degree or another since it's due to the technology. Occasionally you will see a perfect set. The guideline I would recommend is if you see the banding with normal content, and it bother's you, then you should either return the set and try another, see if LG can replace the panel or just forget about OLED all together. When I say normal content, I don't mean fads to gray/black, i'm talking about bars while watching football, or a movie, etc.

Posting pictures is not very useful because everyone has their own tolerance and if you are posting them, that probably means it's bothering you and you need to take one of the actions above. Hope this helps.
ataneruo and venus933 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #13667 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post
Soap opera effect!

Hi all, I've had my 65B7 for a couple weeks and have put in the RTings settings. I have all of the motion settings off, but still experience a soap opera effect with any on screen motion. Is there anything else that I can do to reduce or stop this? I'm coming from a Kuro/last gen Panasonic with excellent motion handling and I've never seen setting with everything turned off so... horrible. I'll also look through the thread but thought it would be easiest to just ask.

Using ISF night mode I think and the onboard LG Netflix app.

Thanks.
Second post I have seen like this...giving me the heebie jeebies.
post #13668 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello all,

Proud new owner of a 65C7! Very excited to be in this group. I have spent days/weeks reading almost all of the pages in this thread....Wow, was that exhausting, but there is some very knowledgable people in this group and some other newbies like me! I am a tech nerd, but this is my first OLED/4k TV. I am sure I will have more questions to come, but I figured I would start with an easy one for you guys....I am sure this is something I did on my part, but I cant figure it out....

My setup

DirecTV box
PS4
Apple TV
Denon AVR-591
LG65C7

Everything is plugged into AVR via HDMI and then up to the TV on the wall via ARC(HDMI2).

Just started messing with everything and DTV works fine, no problems with audio or video. Magic remote also turns on/off TV/AVR/set top box no problem...

Heres the issue... I went the Dolby APP and played some content...,.The picture of course changes to the material in the Dolby app as I am watching it, however, the audio that is playing via my DVR is still the audio that was on the DTV channel I was watching prior to opening the Dolby app.....I am sure this is something silly I did not do right, so please be easy on me!

Setting on LG for sound:
Audio out-HDMI ARC
Digital sound out-Auto
Simplelink-ON

Settings on Denon:
HDMI control-ON

Thanks in advance and again, I am glad to be here and love reading all your opinions and experiences...It is very helpful to me and others that are just venturing into this streaming/HDR world!
post #13669 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd5215 View Post
Hello all,

Proud new owner of a 65C7! Very excited to be in this group. I have spent days/weeks reading almost all of the pages in this thread....Wow, was that exhausting, but there is some very knowledgable people in this group and some other newbies like me! I am a tech nerd, but this is my first OLED/4k TV. I am sure I will have more questions to come, but I figured I would start with an easy one for you guys....I am sure this is something I did on my part, but I cant figure it out....

My setup

DirecTV box
PS4
Apple TV
Denon AVR-591
LG65C7

Everything is plugged into AVR via HDMI and then up to the TV on the wall via ARC(HDMI2).

Just started messing with everything and DTV works fine, no problems with audio or video. Magic remote also turns on/off TV/AVR/set top box no problem...

Heres the issue... I went the Dolby APP and played some content...,.The picture of course changes to the material in the Dolby app as I am watching it, however, the audio that is playing via my DVR is still the audio that was on the DTV channel I was watching prior to opening the Dolby app.....I am sure this is something silly I did not do right, so please be easy on me!

Setting on LG for sound:
Audio out-HDMI ARC
Digital sound out-Auto
Simplelink-ON

Settings on Denon:
HDMI control-ON

Thanks in advance and again, I am glad to be here and love reading all your opinions and experiences...It is very helpful to me and others that are just venturing into this streaming/HDR world!
Press the TV-Audio button on your Denon remote. Common prob...everyone (me as well) ran into it.
post #13670 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Hello all,

My setup

DirecTV box
PS4
Apple TV
Denon AVR-591
LG65C7

Setting on LG for sound:
Audio out-HDMI ARC
Digital sound out-Auto
Simplelink-ON

Settings on Denon:
HDMI control-ON

I assume that you went to the Dolby app by hitting the menu button and then selecting the Dolby app. I assume that when you are watching your DVR the Denon is set to an HDMI in that is labelled as DVR or something else on your Denon. When you switch to the App the Denon should automatically switch to the audio input for your ARC connection. I believe this may be labelled TV on the Denon. I suspect that for some reason that is not happening and the Denon is just staying on the DVR input. You should be able to manually switch the receiver to the correct input on the Denon to get ARC to play back. You might have to cycle through all of the inputs to find the ARC in input. I have a Yamaha receiver and I am using a Harmony remote and when I turn on my system to watch the DVR mine almost always goes to the ARC setting and I have to manually switch it to my DVR in. I have found a lot of problems with HDMI control particularly if I set it on the TV and components to automatically switch on the components. Since I am using a Harmony I have switched off the aspect of HDMI control that turns components on automatically.
post #13671 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Can someone with this TV and a Sonos playbar chime in and let me know if the optical out from the TV pass through 5.1 DD to the playbar? From internal app source and external HDMI sources?

Thanks
I am also looking for this answer (not specifically for a Sonos - perhaps in the future though).

What is the "highest" surround output supported by the optical out? I have an old DD+/TrueHD era AVR and am not ready to replace it just yet. I'm likely going to get the B7A so I'm just curious what I'll be stuck with for a while in terms of surround capability.

Thanks
post #13672 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I have access to four C7's in my lab. I think it would be an interesting exercise to grab some pre-cal screenshots, and then do the same after applying my shared settings from my personal C7 - and then compare the similarities or differences. Are things actually better, or is everyone who tried my shared settings experiencing euphoric hallucinations?

While it's obvious to me and most in this thread that no two panels are exactly alike, a high percentage are likely very close to each other in measured behavior. LG claims that the variance between panels averages around 2%. I believe that claim is fairly accurate. It has to be that way, because if it wasn't, the out-of-the-box experience would frankly suck. There are some will believe that shared settings are better than factory just because - as you have stated - they are different. If LG’s variance claims are accurate, it is also highly possible that shared settings by someone who knows what they are doing are actually better. After all, these are mass produced products with many shared characteristics.

I'm game. It will have to wait until after Thanksgiving, but I would love know myself!!
Ok good idea. I'm just busy right now or I would do the exercise to prove the point but if you have the time what I would suggest is to take the pre calibration scan using calman on more than one set say using ISF Bright or one of the expert PMs at their default settings, if you use ISF bright, make sure to set gamut to Auto, then put your settings in along with any changes to the user settings then take another scan. Make sure that the RGB balance chart is on Auto and not fixed so we can see the detail then post what you get and we can have a discussion of the result. You may want to post a couple of pictures of content as well. This would be a useful and interesting discussion and btw, do this on the LG calibration forum. I think what you will probably find is although the sets may be 2% off if LG is correct, is that the settings that you calibrated will look different on the other panels due to the panel variations. I profile my meter to every set I calibrate because most panels are indeed different and I want to get a consistent result. But my whole point is this. If you are a "regular" consumer, the out of the box in most cases will be fine But if you are discerning enough to be critically evaluating every little last detail of picture quality, why would you take settings from another panel vs either getting your set calibrated or learn to do it yourself? Even if you get the least expensive meter with free calibration software, you will probably, after a while, get a better result, though not perfect, than relying on another panels settings that you have no idea and no way to find out how far different your panel is from the one that the calibration was done on. Think about it?

I will say that this year for LG is a good one. They have made dramatic improvements in their calibration at the factory which is great. Previous years, the calibration was not so good. The LGs are so good that what calibration brings to the table is
1) Better near black detail because although the deltaE is good, the gamma, especially with 1886 on the lower IREs is almost always off causing this problem.
2) 100% of the time the color temperature is either high or low and not at D65 so calibration will fix this and give you the best temperature.
3) Once the gray scale is tweaked and the CMS is lined up, you will get the best skin tones.

So to summarize over what you get out of the box with calibration is correct color temperature, better skin tones, better near black detail and an overall more balanced picture.

I know I posted these scans before but a professional experienced calibrator will be able to get these results and you can see what i'm talking about out of the box vs calibrated. Especially Dolby Vision. All this DV conversation about near black is because the luminance errors are off the charts out of the box, and i'm sure as the picture mode matures, LG will make this better but for now either play with the brightness control or get it calibrated. Hope this all helps -> https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VbAdMcXEHWka9T

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 11-18-2017 at 06:23 AM.
post #13673 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Press the TV-Audio button on your Denon remote. Common prob...everyone (me as well) ran into it.
Thanks for the quick response and Sorry for the delay....Just got to looking into this. I dont seem to have a button like that.... I have attached a pic for you to look at....Also, just placing around with the remote, I did turn the AVR off and the sound then started to output to the TV speakers FYI. What button on my remote do you think might work?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2317396  
post #13674 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
This year I've seen very very few sets with serious banding. All OLEDs have some sort of banding to one degree or another since it's due to the technology. Occasionally you will see a perfect set. The guideline I would recommend is if you see the banding with normal content, and it bother's you, then you should either return the set and try another, see if LG can replace the panel or just forget about OLED all together. When I say normal content, I don't mean fads to gray/black, i'm talking about bars while watching football, or a movie, etc.

Posting pictures is not very useful because everyone has their own tolerance and if you are posting them, that probably means it's bothering you and you need to take one of the actions above. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That’s very helpful. Appreciate it.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #13675 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response and Sorry for the delay....Just got to looking into this. I dont seem to have a button like that.... I have attached a pic for you to look at....Also, just placing around with the remote, I did turn the AVR off and the sound then started to output to the TV speakers FYI. What button on my remote do you think might work?

Thanks!
Try 'TV'...otherwise try them all until it works. Older AVR you got there.
post #13676 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Try 'TV'...otherwise try them all until it works. Older AVR you got there.

Lol. “Older” AVR you got there. is that code word for sh***y. LOL. That’s next on this list to purchase. Which Denon do you have and do you like? I’ll keep pushing buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED65C7P
Denon X2400H
post #13677 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Ok good idea. I'm just busy right now or I would do the exercise to prove the point but if you have the time what I would suggest is to take the pre calibration scan using calman on more than one set say using ISF Bright or one of the expert PMs at their default settings, if you use ISF bright, make sure to set gamut to Auto, then put your settings in along with any changes to the user settings then take another scan. Make sure that the RGB balance chart is on Auto and not fixed so we can see the detail then post what you get and we can have a discussion of the result. You may want to post a couple of pictures of content as well. This would be a useful and interesting discussion and btw, do this on the LG calibration forum. I think what you will probably find is although the sets may be 2% off if LG is correct, is that the settings that you calibrated will look different on the other panels due to the panel variations. I profile my meter to every set I calibrate because most panels are indeed different and I want to get a consistent result. But my whole point is this. If you are a "regular" consumer, the out of the box in most cases will be fine But if you are discerning enough to be critically evaluating every little last detail of picture quality, why would you take settings from another panel vs either getting your set calibrated or learn to do it yourself? Even if you get the least expensive meter with free calibration software, you will probably, after a while, get a better result, though not perfect, than relying on another panels settings that you have no idea and no way to find out how far different your panel is from the one that the calibration was done on. Think about it?

I will say that this year for LG is a good one. They have made dramatic improvements in their calibration at the factory which is great. Previous years, the calibration was not so good. The LGs are so good that what calibration brings to the table is
1) Better near black detail because although the deltaE is good, the gamma, especially with 1886 on the lower IREs is almost always off causing this problem.
2) 100% of the time the color temperature is either high or low and not at D65 so calibration will fix this and give you the best temperature.
3) Once the gray scale is tweaked and the CMS is lined up, you will get the best skin tones.

So to summarize over what you get out of the box with calibration is correct color temperature, better skin tones, better near black detail and an overall more balanced picture.

I know I posted these scans before but a professional experienced calibrator will be able to get these results and you can see what i'm talking about out of the box vs calibrated. Especially Dolby Vision. All this DV conversation about near black is because the luminance errors are off the charts out of the box, and i'm sure as the picture mode matures, LG will make this better but for now either play with the brightness control or get it calibrated. Hope this all helps -> https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VbAdMcXEHWka9T
@sonoftumble

Had a half an hour so performed a quick visual test. I just plugged in sonoftumbles SDR bright room cal into my 55 C7 and it has made the picture inferior to base settings. I didn't meter anything, but just resetting CMS and WB to defaults improved the display to the eye drastically.

In my limited skillset and tools, I have so far helped setup 7 2017 OLEDs for SDR and each one required varying amounts WB changes. Some more than others. CMS doesn't get touched as you can end up with something the meter says is ok but is actually messed up.

Sorry to pee on the fire, but like any other TV built so far in existence, the fine controls on the LG OLEDs are specific to each and every unit
KevinSartori, alexbarbel and jrref like this.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #13678 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Would you have a picture of that? Tanks
Sorry for the poor quality pic, but you get the idea. For me when I watch movies I kill the lights as well so the reflective base needed to be dealt with. I use some double sided tape in a few spot along the top edge of the fabric and tuck I up against the back of the base that goes behind the TV. The cloth is from my a theater shop that sells special non reflective fabric for theaters and photo studios. My basement was a small photo studio so I had plenty of this left over. Go to any fabric store and see what they have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	720F6756-9747-40DA-AD70-6044BF3473F4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2317430  
Deckard71 likes this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #13679 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:41 AM

Liked: 4
Hi all just set up my c7 replacement and here is some pictures of the banding should i keep it or should i go for refund am not gonna exchange again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171118_173808_1511023052268.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2317432   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_173821_1511023079172.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	2317434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_173837_1511023105366.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	2317436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_173913_1511023134370.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	2317438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_173930_1511023158385.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	2317440  

Name:	20171118_173942_1511023180796.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2317442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_171802_1511023206925.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	5.66 MB
ID:	2317444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_171851_1511023273495.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	5.10 MB
ID:	2317446  
post #13680 of 36269 Old 11-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Black Friday is right around the corner, and I'm going to grab a new TV. Last year I got the LG OLED B6 65-inch, and I love it. Besides the grey uniformity / banding which I don't really notice all that much in "real life" the picture quality feels really stellar. This year I'm going to get a TV for our bedroom after my fiancee told me she would love to have a TV in the bedroom.

Like the true wonder-boy I' am I can't let this go by unnoticed and with Black Friday right around the corner I couldn't ask for better timing. I immediately thought of something like a LG OLED 42-46-inch but after doing some research such a thing doesn't seem to exist. They all seem to start at 55-inches? That's rather huge for the bedroom, but after living with a Pioneer Kuro LX5090H for years and now the LG OLED B6 I don't want to settle for a LCD.. I just don't like the picture quality of LCD.. And even with LCD most of the high end models seems to start at 49-inches regardless. And something like the Samsung QE49Q7C actually cost about the same as the LG OLED B7 55-inch in my country so that's simply a big no if you ask me.

The big question is whether I should go for a LG OLED B7 55-inch for the bedroom and end up with a newer and better TV in the bedroom compared to the living room.. Or go all crazy and get the B7/C7 65-inch for the living room and move the B6 65-inch to the bedroom. The thought of a 65-inch in the bedroom feels and sound ridiculous, but..

But how does the B/C7 compare to last years B6? I know the 7-series offer 120Hz inputs, which is awesome from my PC but that's not all that relevant. And I suppose it will be years before consoles and media boxes will ever utilise 120Hz outputs. The only thing that really nags me about my B6 is TruMotion / interpolation. You get so much artefacts when going over 5 in de-judder and de-blur and as one who actually enjoys the buttery smooth "soap opera" effect this was rather disappointing for me. I heard the C6 was supposed to be better here due to a better quad-core SoC and I suppose the 7-series features a new and improved SoC compared to even the C6? Does that resolve in better motion interpolation or will it be about the same as on my B6?

Other than 120Hz input, better SoC and Dolby Vision 60Hz (B6 is locked to Dolby Vision 30Hz) are there any meaningful differences and improvements? Would I have to be nuts in order to get a LG OLED 7-series 65-inch to replace last years model and put the B6 in my bedroom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page