2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980478Likes

post #1381 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
BTW , Everyone interested in the C7 should go check RTINGS review.

I notified them that with a 35 oled light at 85 contrast there was no ABL, they rechecked their measurements and confirmed what I saw with my bare eyes :P

Also I informed them that you can get 21ms input lag in PC mdoe with ISF expert bright or Dark with 4:4:4 and again they confirmed this too!

They have updated their review to reflect this information. You can scroll down to the question area to the C7 review and can see that they responded to my questions!

Just clarifies even more how much of an improvement this tv is for gaming

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...question_20551
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post

I notified them that with a 35 oled light at 85 contrast there was no ABL, they rechecked their measurements and confirmed what I saw with my bare eyes :P

Also I informed them that you can get 21ms input lag in PC mdoe with ISF expert bright or Dark with 4:4:4 and again they confirmed this too!

They have updated their review to reflect this information. You can scroll down to the question area to the C7 review and can see that they responded to my questions!

Very nice! I should have you and Ness Roman from the A1E owners thread talk and compare sets. Both of you guys are focusing on the gaming side of these TVs (which is what I'm interested in). Thanks for the helpful settings.
post #1383 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assplats View Post
Very nice! I should have you and Ness Roman from the A1E owners thread talk and compare sets. Both of you guys are focusing on the gaming side of these TVs (which is what I'm interested in). Thanks for the helpful settings.

I would be happy to! I really feel LG hit it out of the park with these 2017 oled's for gaming. Also we can't forget you can run pc games in native 120hz on these too which halves the input lag and halves the motion blur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I would be happy to! I really feel LG hit it out of the park with these 2017 oled's for gaming. Also we can't forget you can run pc games in native 120hz on these too which halves the input lag and halves the motion blur
Both are great TVs at native res. 21ms vs 29ms is not much. If you are not a competitor then it's fine, for real pro players TV is not an option anyway not just because of the input lag.

Sony could be better with 30 Hz games because motion is better with Sony. Ness Roman A1 owner seems like he loves twitch games and he is in love with the A1 so I guess these 2 TVs are the best for gaming
post #1385 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm digging my C7 so far. Need to calibrate it.

Since you can use the PC Mode and ISF with PC gaming, could you just use PC Mode with consoles to get ISF and the lower input lag?
post #1386 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Using ISF Dark, 35 OLED light, 85 contrast. Has anyone seen if contrast clips at it's default of 85 or if that's been fixed?

I know most B6 owners had to lower contrast to 80~82 to not clip. I can definitely see clipping at 90 but 85 looks fine to my eye.
post #1387 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeeky View Post
I'm digging my C7 so far. Need to calibrate it.

Since you can use the PC Mode and ISF with PC gaming, could you just use PC Mode with consoles to get ISF and the lower input lag?

Yes, use PC mode with ISF bright or dark and HDMI Deep Color on for PC and Console gaming, lag is 21.3ms for both regardless of resolution.
Ozymandis likes this.
post #1388 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes, use PC mode with ISF bright or dark and HDMI Deep Color on for PC and Console gaming, lag is 21.3ms for both regardless of resolution.
Sweet! That's much better than dealing with the color slider bar.
post #1389 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone with a Samsung K850 or K950 soundbar confirm that ATMOS works over ARC from their C7?

I'm able to get 5.1 audio from the Netflix and Vudu WebOS apps but the blue Atmos light doesn't light up, which I'm assuming means its not able to detect ATMOS metadata in the DD+ stream.
post #1390 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I guess it depends. I find the screen uniformity issues somewhat of a killer. That's me though. I don't like being pulled out of a story because I see banding or vignetting which is a darker left and or right edge of the TV. The vignetting is also not a smooth gradation but a zipper like effect where you might might see these dark fingers reaching toward the center of the picture by a couple of inches or more. If you're the type of person that checks every inch of the screen for defects it might bug you if you get a screen less than perfect in your eyes.

The other side of it (I'm obviously conflicted ) is when the TV shines it's amazing. Really, it can be that good and thats what kind of makes it even more of a bummer. So in some ways depending who you are this might all be minor to you.

Anyway, some will say I'm obsessed with noticing it but at $4500 I think I have the right to be picky.

That probably didn't help you at all. I'm sure others will be better at answering your questions. Good luck!
I don't think you are obsessed or picky. This TV is expensive and for most people they want to be happy with it for atleast 3-4 years and then to have banding is annoying, once it's discovered it's hard to convince the eyes to look away from where the banding is in certain scenes. However, i also think you made the right decision buying now. There's no point waiting and waiting and it's not like banding is a new problem, it's been around for a long time with plasmas and LCDs too and i'm certain it will still be a problem in a couple of years sadly. Just hope your panel improves or that you can get a better one.
VidPro likes this.
post #1391 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible11111 View Post
I don't think you are obsessed or picky. This TV is expensive and for most people they want to be happy with it for atleast 3-4 years and then to have banding is annoying, once it's discovered it's hard to convince the eyes to look away from where the banding is in certain scenes. However, i also think you made the right decision buying now. There's no point waiting and waiting and it's not like banding is a new problem, it's been around for a long time with plasmas and LCDs too and i'm certain it will still be a problem in a couple of years sadly. Just hope your panel improves or that you can get a better one.
Yeah my plan is to keep an eye on the the upcoming models in the next year or so and if it meets my threshold on uniformity then I'll jump in the waters again. To be honest, the accolades that I'm hearing about the Sony and even the LG is tempered way down knowing the perfection being talked about is only perfect to a certain point. Arrival anyone? I'm still enjoying the size jump to 65" though.

Funny thing about banding. I never noticed it on my 500M but I really wasn't looking. A couple of weeks ago I'm watching a movie over my friend's house (he has a Panny plasma) and while watching an old horror movie I saw tons of banding. I can't be sure it wasn't in the content but I did shake my fist in the air and cursed AVS. LOL!
dancolt likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #1392 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 3753
Quote:
Yeah my plan is to keep an eye on the the upcoming models in the next year or so and if it meets my threshold on uniformity then I'll jump in the waters again. To be honest, the accolades that I'm hearing about the Sony and even the LG is tempered way down knowing the perfection being talked about is only perfect to a certain point. Arrival anyone? I'm still enjoying the size jump to 65" though.

Funny thing about banding. I never noticed it on my 500M but I really wasn't looking. A couple of weeks ago I'm watching a movie over my friend's house (he has a Panny plasma) and while watching an old horror movie I saw tons of banding. I can't be sure it wasn't in the content but I did shake my fist in the air and cursed AVS. LOL!
So you're getting rid of your C7?
post #1393 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16 View Post
Thanks, I'll try to force the DTV box to use either 720p or 1080p. Right now it will output 1080i if the channel is broadcast in that. Do I have to do anything special to make the LG scale to 4K or is that just what it does?

Does anyone have a link for what movies Netflix shows in 4K? I've already watched all the Marvel shows, so I'm curious as to what else they have in 4K. I'd like to view the list before I upgrade my plan and find there isn't anything to watch.
The LG will scale to 4K.

Follow AVS member ray0414 has been compiling a list of 4K HDR titles: Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1394 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:

So much for my suggestion of getting an used Panasonic plasma to keep your sanity.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1395 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
So you're getting rid of your C7?
I guess it made it sound like that. Nah, I'm in for the long haul. If something comes up in the new models that I can't resist, the C7 hits the bedroom or living room in our next house.

I'll enjoy the C7 as much as I can while I wait.
ziocomposite likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #1396 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
So much for my suggestion of getting an used Panasonic plasma to keep your sanity.
If I was sane I wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars on a TV. LOL! Ok yes I would, I'm videophile movie freak.

I'm glad I got to live the Pioneer lifestyle for so long. Between V.E. and Robert making the Pioneer a reality and having D-Nice calibrate it I had some awesome movie watching years.
venus933 likes this.

post #1397 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
If you're insane, Vidpro, I am at a bat****, insane asylum level of crazy (two G6s over the course of one year). As with you, it's all about the banding (and an overcompensated inverse vignette in my latest case). In my experience, I believe time (and heat) can minimize the severity of (some of) the uniformity anomalies.
post #1398 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I wonder how the A1E is going to compare to the C7 for gaming. Input lag is looking quite a bit behind in 1080p (hopefully Sony does something about this), but it does have BFI and much better motion handling for a clearer picture, from what I've gathered. I was juggling which one of these TVs I want to get and decided to go for the A1E, but the C7 is still on my radar, so I'm still very much interested in discussions about it and learning more.

I have a leo bodnar, also. I'll try it out with the A1E when I get it and we can compare results.
Yes assplats please do. I am interested to see what you'll get with the leo bodnar. Is yours equipped to make a scan at 4k resolution? It seems the flatpanelshd review said their leo bodnar missed some add-on on it so they only measured the 1080p input lag

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Yep Ness Roman and Blackvette94 are really helping out right now for me since my main usage will be for gaming.

Quote:
Ness Roman says that the BFI option on the A1E makes the motion identical to his VT60 plasma and there's no visible motion blur in 60 fps videogames. FOr movies it doesn't work as good and doesn't do much.

Frankly, I am a little torn between the C7 and A1E. On one hand the input lag and TV OS (WebOS) is superior on the LG, but on the other hand the motion in general and that BFI mode with little to no visible motion blur is also awesome but at the cost of higher input lag. From my testing on TVs so far (using my console and I did another test last weekend for a friend buying a tv), I do not seem to be very sensitive to input lag but I do hate motion blur and had to live with that since 2006 (never got a plasma).

I knew having two options for OLED this year might make me indecisive and now it seems like it's confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
If you're insane, Vidpro, I am at a bat****, insane asylum level of crazy (two G6s over the course of one year). As with you, it's all about the banding (and an overcompensated inverse vignette in my latest case). In my experience, I believe time (and heat) can minimize the severity of (some of) the uniformity anomalies.
You and VidPro are making me so nervous about getting my OLED soon. I'm pretty sensitive to uniformity issues too but damn that OLED PQ will make me try again and possibly get all stressed out on that crap again I'll try my best to accept and not watch slides at the beginning.
post #1399 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I have my C7 connected to my AVR through ARC and no permanent mute icon.
Thanks for the reply. Would confirming that when using the AVR, the TV's sound out settings change to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC), which then disables the TV's internal speakers, but the mute icon doesn't appear?

Many thanks
post #1400 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumperoo View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would confirming that when using the AVR, the TV's sound out settings change to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC), which then disables the TV's internal speakers, but the mute icon doesn't appear?

Many thanks
I'm running sound to my AVR using ARC and don't have a Mute icon either.
post #1401 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to let those that love watching cartoons or anime, this 55C7 I have is the best display I have seen showing this type of content! Having watched this content on my 65B6, the lack of ABL and unnoticeable vertical banding on the C7 really make toons look legit on this display!

I really wasn't expecting the c7 to be such a large improvement but for the content I use it for ( games and toons) it is amazing!

Cartoons and games imho show all displays biggest weaknesses like motion, uniformity, brightness and input lag. This C7 passes with full honors in all of these aspects!

I 100% recommend the C7! To keep this in reference I would have not recommended the B6 and would have recommended the Sony Z9D over it but I would take the C7 over the Sony any day!
Ozymandis and fatallerror like this.
post #1402 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM

What is ABL?
post #1403 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is ABL?
Automatic Brightness Limiter. If you ever used a plasma you would have seen it
post #1404 of 36536 Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Automatic Brightness Limiter. If you ever used a plasma you would have seen it
I have a Panny plasma in my living room. Best TV I had until now with the C7. I forget the model specifically, but it performs like a champ with colors and everything.
post #1405 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 329
For SDR input the ABL is almost non existent on the new OLED series. At APL 10-70% the C7 keeping full SDR brightness around 380cd/m² (D65). At 80% window still 300cd/m² bright and doubling the brightness of the G6:

http://imgur.com/a/6qVaf

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...#post-24964838

Impressive upgrade to the 2016 series. But only for SDR, not HDR.
post #1406 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm running sound to my AVR using ARC and don't have a Mute icon either.
Thanks. Hmm...could be these headphones then. Seems like an issue that's been raised in the past:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...t-go-away.html

Still weird that the TV can disable the internal speaker for your AVR without displaying the mute icon but has to display it when doing the exact same thing with my headphone.
post #1407 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumperoo View Post
Thanks. Hmm...could be these headphones then. Seems like an issue that's been raised in the past:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...t-go-away.html

Still weird that the TV can disable the internal speaker for your AVR without displaying the mute icon but has to display it when doing the exact same thing with my headphone.
Because the mute function is automatically enabled with headphones and with the AVR you have the option in the menu to further use the speakers. Some tv sets leave it to the user to cut off the sound when using headphones (e.g. families with elderly family members using the headphones). Unfortunately LG was not wise enough..
post #1408 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What gamma are you guys using on your 2017 OLED? And why?
post #1409 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Good job Luke

This is why I like Rtings, they are buying their TVs so they can check things much later. I still can't decide if C7 or A1 as a gamer. Both are tempting
post #1410 of 36536 Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Good job Luke

This is why I like Rtings, they are buying their TVs so they can check things much later. I still can't decide if C7 or A1 as a gamer. Both are tempting
Thanks

As for deciding between the Sony and the C7, I would say if your very sensitive for input lag then go with the C7 as it is the lowest lag tv you can get right now for all resolutions and 4:4:4.

I haven't seen the Sony yet but I have zero doubt it looks awesome too but the lag numbers don't lie and if gaming is your number one priority I would recommend the C7 because of the lower lag. Playing 60hz or 120hz gaming on the C7 vs the Sony wont be any different motion wise unless you turn on BFI on the Sony but then you get higher lag and native 120hz input would be the way to go imho if your using a pc for games
t1337Dude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page