2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980425Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,429
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysta View Post
Just have a question I hope someone can help me with here. I am running the latest software (3.51.20) and have set color gamut to "Auto" as I have heard it will then automatically switch to the "Wide" color gamut when the tv senses HDR content (or when it senses rec2020). However, when I am playing HDR movies, I've noticed if you select "Wide" versus "Auto", the picture is not identical as I assumed it would be. Selecting "Wide" seems to provide more saturated colors, definitely noticeable. So makes me wonder whether the "Auto" setting is switching to "Wide" if the two seem different when playing HDR content. Does anyone have some knowledge on this setting?
Setting the Color Gamut to Wide will raise the Color saturation, but so some of us saw that there was a problem with the Red and Magenta HDR CMS in that it was out of spec and you couldn't adjust them with the CMS controls. We reported it to LG and their answer is to set the color gamut to Wide for HDR and that should solve the problem, meaning that Red and Magenta should line up and be adjustable. I haven't seen anyone verifying this yet. I would say, choose the mode Wide or Auto in which the HDR picture looks more accurate and natural to you eye until this is verified.
locomo likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 04-28-2017 at 01:53 PM.
jrref is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysta View Post
Just have a question I hope someone can help me with here. I am running the latest software (3.51.20) and have set color gamut to "Auto" as I have heard it will then automatically switch to the "Wide" color gamut when the tv senses HDR content (or when it senses rec2020). However, when I am playing HDR movies, I've noticed if you select "Wide" versus "Auto", the picture is not identical as I assumed it would be. Selecting "Wide" seems to provide more saturated colors, definitely noticeable. So makes me wonder whether the "Auto" setting is switching to "Wide" if the two seem different when playing HDR content. Does anyone have some knowledge on this setting?
Good question. Same here and that is why I chose Wide because I like saturated colors.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #1443 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Does anyone know how to enable the Dolby Surround sound effects in the TV sound parameters ?
It is greyed out.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Bob539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
One problem I've had is that my in wall (and unremovable) HDMI cable won't carry a 4K signal, though it's fine at 1080p. I think it must be too long as it was certified for 4K when it was installed, or the C7 isn't very good at detecting weak-ish signals. So I'm having to watch 4K video via wired ethernet DLNA, which is kind of annoying. Quality seems the same though.


If you paid that much for your tv if got to see it in it's glory so get one of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120HDM...t&awug=9019498

If you don't want the HDR or 18 GZ (which you should) inline HDMI 4K extender/amplifiers can be had well under $100.

Maybe someone can chime in on if the DLNA is giving you the same picture.
Bob539 is offline  
post #1445 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
TheDov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question No surround sound over optical?

Hey all!

I got my C7 65" a couple weeks ago, and love it so far. My last TV ways an old Sony LCoS RPTV that had turned a sickening shade of green, so this one's a breath of fresh air!

I'm getting everything set up, and taking advantage of one feature the old TV didn't have: audio output to my AVR. The receiver is as old as the RPTV (a Pioneer Elite 94TXH), so it doesn't have ARC. I connected the optical output, but I only get stereo sound from my HDMI-connected devices. The built-in Netflix app plays surround fine.

I'm seeing this with my PS3 and my Wii U, playing test patterns. I have Sound Out on the TV set to Audio Out and tried the Digital Sound Out subsetting on both Auto and PCM, with no difference. LG's tech support seemed clueless, and since I called on a Sunday there wasn't any Tier 2 to escalate to.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? At the moment I don't have any 4K sources, but this will be a big problem once I get a UHD blu-ray player.

In case it matters, I'm using these HDMI cables: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172 and this optical cable: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2764
TheDov is offline  
post #1446 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,543
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
One problem I've had is that my in wall (and unremovable) HDMI cable won't carry a 4K signal, though it's fine at 1080p. I think it must be too long as it was certified for 4K when it was installed, or the C7 isn't very good at detecting weak-ish signals. So I'm having to watch 4K video via wired ethernet DLNA, which is kind of annoying. Quality seems the same though.
How long is the cable? 25FT and over, those are always being talked about in the projector section of the forum, some cables work, some do not. Some work for one person, for another guy with the same gear, no luck. Amazing.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1447 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,469
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
They are finicky, but just to let you guys know that I bought a DTech optical HDMI cable 50ft long and it's been working great ever since I set it up.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #1448 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
rtings reviewed the Sony Z9D today and though it was a very positive review they didn't think it exactly broke the mold. I guess it's something to throw back at the next troll who wants to enlighten us on the superiority of the Z9D.

"In general, The B6 is a much better buy than the Z9, since it provides a better experience for a fraction of the price."

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is offline  
post #1449 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
rtings reviewed the Sony Z9D today and though it was a very positive review they didn't think it exactly broke the mold. I guess it's something to throw back at the next troll who wants to enlighten us on the superiority of the Z9D.

"In general, The B6 is a much better buy than the Z9, since it provides a better experience for a fraction of the price."

Where is the resident troll lately ? I found the contrast ratio measurement with local dimming on enlightening .



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mslaird likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #1450 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,835
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysta View Post
Just have a question I hope someone can help me with here. I am running the latest software (3.51.20) and have set color gamut to "Auto" as I have heard it will then automatically switch to the "Wide" color gamut when the tv senses HDR content (or when it senses rec2020). However, when I am playing HDR movies, I've noticed if you select "Wide" versus "Auto", the picture is not identical as I assumed it would be. Selecting "Wide" seems to provide more saturated colors, definitely noticeable. So makes me wonder whether the "Auto" setting is switching to "Wide" if the two seem different when playing HDR content. Does anyone have some knowledge on this setting?
Here is what I've found with the latest firmware for the C7....

Auto in HDR does not work correctly. I've measured Wide, Extended and Auto and Extended preformed best with HDR. Using the CMS controls in HDR causes banding and quantization errors.
RichB, mnc and ramzy like this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #1451 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
t1337Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
You have reliable options to that but obviously the most convenient option is to pick the C7 if you want to use the Switch
I didn't mean to extend this further but that would be the part where you enlighten me as to what those options are (if they exist) Let's set convenience aside for the moment.
t1337Dude is offline  
post #1452 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@TheDov The failure should be in your HDMI devices, check their audio settings. Set them to DD/DD+ but not PCM.
Wertzius is offline  
post #1453 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Newbie
 
TheDov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
@TheDov The failure should be in your HDMI devices, check their audio settings. Set them to DD/DD+ but not PCM.
I was able to set the PS3 to bitstream, and it worked. So thanks! But I'm a little puzzled as to why it wouldn't support PCM. Isn't that always a safe fallback? The Wii U only supports linear PCM for surround sound.
TheDov is offline  
post #1454 of 36404 Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My replacement C7 arrives Monday - once I get it set up I will post some photos.

My past observations have continued to hold true - banding lessens after watching SDR (through automatic comp cycles only), and revert back or possibly worsens, after watching HDR and a couple auto comp cycles.
donkrx is offline  
post #1455 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,469
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
My replacement C7 arrives Monday - once I get it set up I will post some photos.

My past observations have continued to hold true - banding lessens after watching SDR (through automatic comp cycles only), and revert back or possibly worsens, after watching HDR and a couple auto comp cycles.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I swear the banding and even the vignetting I have morphs over time.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #1456 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
fatallerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
I didn't mean to extend this further but that would be the part where you enlighten me as to what those options are (if they exist) Let's set convenience aside for the moment.
Some AVR can do the upscaling without adding noticeable lag, or you can use upscaler like the fury upscaler, also the Oppo 203 can upscale it too
fatallerror is offline  
post #1457 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,626
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I swear the banding and even the vignetting I have morphs over time.
Aging algorithm coming into play most likely. Hopefully, it'll morph itself out of existence. My 77" is a wreck at 5%, so I'm not confident it's going to completely clear.
VidPro likes this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #1458 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,429
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Here is what I've found with the latest firmware for the C7....

Auto in HDR does not work correctly. I've measured Wide, Extended and Auto and Extended preformed best with HDR. Using the CMS controls in HDR causes banding and quantization errors.
Thanks for verifying this! I'm not surprised.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #1459 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 09:26 AM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
I just wanted to post that I tried out the HDR Effect picture mode today for the first time on my 2017 LG and in my opinion, this woke up the unit with SDR content. Until now I wasn't too impressed with the 2017 over the G6.. but now, by all means yes!!
Al Leong is offline  
post #1460 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
fatallerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I just wanted to post that I tried out the HDR Effect picture mode today for the first time on my 2017 LG and in my opinion, this woke up the unit with SDR content. Until now I wasn't too impressed with the 2017 over the G6.. but now, by all means yes!!
Do you feel stuttering in panning shots now that you got used to the A1s motion?
fatallerror is offline  
post #1461 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Do you feel stuttering in panning shots now that you got used to the A1s motion?
On the W7, yes, I'm noticing that on panning watching it now.. but I think there can be some remedy with the right custom motion slider settings.. its just a matter of figuring out the best config.

Obviously its possible on the panel because Sony is using LGs panel.
fatallerror likes this.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1462 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I just wanted to post that I tried out the HDR Effect picture mode today for the first time on my 2017 LG and in my opinion, this woke up the unit with SDR content. Until now I wasn't too impressed with the 2017 over the G6.. but now, by all means yes!!

Can you please elaborate ? Doesn't it look fake with hdr effect ?
sapest likes this.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #1463 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 AM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
Can you please elaborate ? Doesn't it look fake with hdr effect ?
Perhaps the perception it would look gimmicky is the reason why I avoided the mode since installing the W7. 2016 models don't have such a picture mode, so with my G6 I've been happy with ISF bright.. "how possibly can PQ get any better" is my thought leading into the 2017 units.

To my surprise, I find the results to be very good with SDR BD.. it's not artificially adding blacks and dark tones the way I though an "artificial HDR" so-called "effect" would.. on the contrary, it pops the image a bit that gives it a more exceptional PQ.

I'd recommend anyone with a 2017 LG to try it with SDR content. IMO this is the differentiator between 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs.. in my view, access to the HDR Effect picture mode is worth going with a 2017 LG if you watch a lot of SDR BD and HD streaming content.
BlueChris likes this.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1464 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thank you for your message. What setting do people use for color temperature ? I tried C10. Is it equivalent to classic warm 1 ?
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #1465 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
A fool and his money are soon parted

Well that's how I feel after any big item purchase

I purchased a new car a couple of weeks ago and I figure lets go all out and get me a 65C7. A supposedly reputable e-bay retailer had a relatively attractive price and I capitulated. So I'll soon be a member of the club sort to speak.
Ozymandis, aypues and Al Leong like this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is offline  
post #1466 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
fatallerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Threads like this is always about the picture but how is the sound? is it worse than let's say an iPad speaker or a MacBook speaker? is it okay to watch sports?
fatallerror is offline  
post #1467 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Perhaps the perception it would look gimmicky is the reason why I avoided the mode since installing the W7. 2016 models don't have such a picture mode, so with my G6 I've been happy with ISF bright.. "how possibly can PQ get any better" is my thought leading into the 2017 units.

To my surprise, I find the results to be very good with SDR BD.. it's not artificially adding blacks and dark tones the way I though an "artificial HDR" so-called "effect" would.. on the contrary, it pops the image a bit that gives it a more exceptional PQ.

I'd recommend anyone with a 2017 LG to try it with SDR content. IMO this is the differentiator between 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs.. in my view, access to the HDR Effect picture mode is worth going with a 2017 LG if you watch a lot of SDR BD and HD streaming content.
I'm interested in the Technicolor-approved picture mode that's coming down the road with a firmware update. Not so much the actual Technicolor HDR format since I don't know of anyone offering such content.
Al Leong likes this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is offline  
post #1468 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 02:04 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I'm interested in the Technicolor-approved picture mode that's coming down the road with a firmware update. Not so much the actual Technicolor HDR format since I don't know of anyone offering such content.
One of the reasons why I did the 2017 LG model.. Technicolor has a strong technical history with content delivery and mastering... Much more of a traditional operator with visual content delivery than Dolby is.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1469 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Member
 
ewto16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Perhaps the perception it would look gimmicky is the reason why I avoided the mode since installing the W7. 2016 models don't have such a picture mode, so with my G6 I've been happy with ISF bright.. "how possibly can PQ get any better" is my thought leading into the 2017 units.

To my surprise, I find the results to be very good with SDR BD.. it's not artificially adding blacks and dark tones the way I though an "artificial HDR" so-called "effect" would.. on the contrary, it pops the image a bit that gives it a more exceptional PQ.

I'd recommend anyone with a 2017 LG to try it with SDR content. IMO this is the differentiator between 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs.. in my view, access to the HDR Effect picture mode is worth going with a 2017 LG if you watch a lot of SDR BD and HD streaming content.
So you would use the HDR effect mode when watching a streaming SDR movie from Netflix or Amazon?
ewto16 is offline  
post #1470 of 36404 Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Happy owner of a 55C7 since yesterday!
Watched some content yesterday, and wauw, amazing PQ!
Did notice some 24fps stuttering in Netflix though, however not when watching a movie via the internal media player. Guess I'm going to have to play with the TruMotion settings. I don't like the soap opera effect, but I also don't like too much stuttering.. What settings are you guys using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Perhaps the perception it would look gimmicky is the reason why I avoided the mode since installing the W7. 2016 models don't have such a picture mode, so with my G6 I've been happy with ISF bright.. "how possibly can PQ get any better" is my thought leading into the 2017 units.

To my surprise, I find the results to be very good with SDR BD.. it's not artificially adding blacks and dark tones the way I though an "artificial HDR" so-called "effect" would.. on the contrary, it pops the image a bit that gives it a more exceptional PQ.

I'd recommend anyone with a 2017 LG to try it with SDR content. IMO this is the differentiator between 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs.. in my view, access to the HDR Effect picture mode is worth going with a 2017 LG if you watch a lot of SDR BD and HD streaming content.
Are you using the presets of this picture mode, or did you do any adjustments/calibrations?
Raymon89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off