2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980426Likes

post #1621 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
So I can take you off the potential buyers list for my TV if I can only get rid if it if I sell it?
Haha the Sony A1 already takes me off your list

Seriously tho if i could see that in content i woildnt put up with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMensy View Post
I would send that thing back
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post52749377

I hate to see your thoughts on my uniformity as I think mine is worst than above. You guys care to take a look at my previous post (listed above) and let me know your thoughts? I am still within an exchange window so I am contemplating if I should or shouldn't....just not sure what is typical for an OLED.
post #1623 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMensy View Post
Haha the Sony A1 already takes me off your list

Seriously tho if i could see that in content i woildnt put up with it
Well if LG can't make me happy I might be able to post in the Sony thread without getting yelled at for not being an owner.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post52749377

I hate to see your thoughts on my uniformity as I think mine is worst than above. You guys care to take a look at my previous post (listed above) and let me know your thoughts? I am still within an exchange window so I am contemplating if I should or shouldn't....just not sure what is typical for an OLED.
That looks really good vignetting-wise by your pic. I think the banding will be on any and all OLEDs just in different intensity from one panel to another.
video_analysis likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #1625 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
That looks really good vignetting-wise by your pic. I think the banding will be on any and all OLEDs just in different intensity from one panel to another.
Thank you for the input. So you think the uniformity is overall not worth exchanging and is typical of an OLED? The vertical banding isn't really an issue, I was more worried about the horizontal uneven areas...but if this is typical I will just keep the set as I don't want to gamble and get something worse if this is on the better side of things.
post #1626 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the input. So you think the uniformity is overall not worth exchanging and is typical of an OLED? The vertical banding isn't really an issue, I was more worried about the horizontal uneven areas...but if this is typical I will just keep the set as I don't want to gamble and get something worse if this is on the better side of things.
Not sure if it's typical but at 100 hours I'd wait another 100 hours at least to see if it diminishes.

post #1627 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You guys care to take a look at my previous post (listed above) and let me know your thoughts?
That looks good in the photo but it's all about the user experience. I have worse vignetting than you but it only presents occasionally in very low light scenes (hence the 5% test) so it's not really a problem as it blends in with the scene. Banding would be more of an irritant to me, so I'm glad I can't see it on mine. It's a matter of personal taste.

The thing that annoys me most is the occasional pixilation of near black on some sources. I was getting it on Amazon Prime yesterday watching American Gods in Ultra HD. I thought that problem had been fixed. Maybe I need some calibration.
post #1628 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 648
@VidPro could you post a picture of where you're seeing the banding in content?
post #1629 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
@VidPro could you post a picture of where you're seeing the banding in content?
Banding not so much. Only a couple of times I've seen it like during a Homeland or an old horror movie where the blacks are elevated. The vignetting is more of an issue for me.

post #1630 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the big issue for me so far is how the TV handles motion. I am getting lots of judder on the shows I watch. I was watching Agents of Shield from my DTV DVR last night and there is just a lot of judder on many of the scenes. I have my TrueMotion set at 4 and 0 right now. I don't recall judder being this bad on my last TV, but it was a Sony KDS-A2000.

Any suggestions?
post #1631 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6676 Post(s)
Liked: 6671
Quote:
Yep, its just the nature of the beast, then again its not like LED's are going to pass a gray scale test time and time again with perfect results.......
post #1632 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hresna View Post
There's no way to push a TrueHD/Atmos or DTS-HD bitstream over optical, unfortunately. It can push DD+ which can theoretically hold more than 5.1 lossy channels, but I've not seen it done. HDMI-ARC is similarly limited but not due to bitrate, just because HDMI implemented it that way. A future upgrade might enable full lossless audio passthrough, that would be great for people who don't want to upgrade their AV receiver right away for 4k HDR.

Edit-> to address original question, the "solution" is to spend more money on a receiver that does HDMI 2.0a (the a is important) for the 4k+HDR passthrough.
That was my assumption. What's not clear though, is whether the built in DLNA client is actually capable of reading and playing a video that contains Atmos 7.1 or TrueHD 7.1 track. It gives a message that the video does not have an audio track. That shouldn't really have anything to do with what audio output method I'm using.

Almost seems as if the built in app doesn't support these, even though the TV is supposed to be capable of sending them via ARC, that may only be possible from another HDMI source (Blu-Ray, or some other source).
post #1633 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Sorry for asking the question again. Does anyone know how to enable the Dolby surround option in the sound settings ?
It is greyed out even though I chose the standard mode.
Thanks !!
post #1634 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16 View Post
I think the big issue for me so far is how the TV handles motion. I am getting lots of judder on the shows I watch. I was watching Agents of Shield from my DTV DVR last night and there is just a lot of judder on many of the scenes. I have my TrueMotion set at 4 and 0 right now. I don't recall judder being this bad on my last TV, but it was a Sony KDS-A2000.
The judder seems to be quite source dependent, but I'm not sure what the cause is. It seems to be when things move fast, or when one big thing like a car or a ship is moving in a way you'd expect to be smooth and it draws your eye. (EDIT) I find using 1080i output fixes a lot of the motion problems without reducing picture quality.

I watched AoS too and it seemed OK. I had a bit of judder on other shows though.

It's definitely the only clearcut negative of the C7 but not so bad as to justify the extra $$$ for an A1.

Last edited by adamadamadam; 05-05-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #1635 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Can someone measure the distance from the bottom of the tv to the top hole for the 65" ?
Thanks
post #1636 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post
Can someone measure the distance from the bottom of the tv to the top hole for the 65" ?
Thanks
Somewhere between 310 and 320 mm I would say.
post #1637 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
At 457 hours.

More hours than I thought. Vignetting lookng about the same when shot with my iPhone. Maybe I'm just getting used to it in content. Anyway, noticed that large horizontal bar that looks IR but can't think of anything I've watched lately with even letterbox bars, so I got that going for me. Also those sweet swoosh marks on the left. LOL!
Sorry but that is very bad worse then I think any e6 I had replaced you really need to do something with that it's unacceptable period.
post #1638 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextmoney View Post
Quote:
At 457 hours.

More hours than I thought. Vignetting lookng about the same when shot with my iPhone. Maybe I'm just getting used to it in content. Anyway, noticed that large horizontal bar that looks IR but can't think of anything I've watched lately with even letterbox bars, so I got that going for me. Also those sweet swoosh marks on the left. LOL!
Sorry but that is very bad worse then I think any e6 I had replaced you really need to do something with that it's unacceptable period.
What picture mode are you using?
post #1639 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobW View Post
Hi all. I've been quietly following this thread for some time, trying to decide when to pull the trigger on a C7 or B7. Did it today, ordering a C7 from Currys which arrives tomorrow. Wanna guess how much sleep I'll get tonight !
The process for ordering from Currys online was pretty rubbish. The TV comes with a free LG UHD player, but because it was only 'Collect in Store' I couldn't use the voucher to get the player discounted online. I had to go into the store physically to make the order. Process improvement required, Currys!
I've got a couple of queries which I hope one of you very well informed people may be able to answer. First, I wondered how bright the new OLEDs are compared to older LED tvs. I haven't been able to view one in-store, and there didn't seem to be much info about nits five years ago. I have an LG LM55860v from 2012. Don't suppose anyone would know how that might typically compare to the C7 in brightness?
The other question is about setting IRE and white balance. I've seen a lot of chat about tweaking the IRE and setting gamma to BT.1886 on the C6. Any thoughts about the need for that sort of thing on the 2017 models?
Cheers.
I'm kind of the same as far as lurking around AVS for quite a while before I posted anything. So many here are so much more knowledgeable than me!

I have a 2012 Sammy LCD 60D8000 that I still use occasionally. As far as brightness comparison to the C7P I just purchased a few weeks ago, it's an entirely different beast. The C7P gets far brighter on highlights such as street lamps on a night scene. The Sammy LCD gets marginally brighter on scenes with predominately >75 - 80% white or near white such as snow outdoors or even a large area of blue sky. The C7P is worlds better at bright scenes than my EF9500 from 2015. This is the ABL kicking in assumedly to keep power consumption in check. In real world viewing, I think you will be pleased with the look of the OLED. Just be sure to immediately kill the energy saver settings when you first fire it up. It makes the picture look dingy and very few, if any on this forum use it.

I also have a Sammy KS9000 (which is a light cannon) that has been relegated to the upstairs sitting room in favor of an EF9500 in my master bedroom, even though it has some minor gray banding issues and can't get nearly as bright. Those perfect blacks just keep me hooked on OLED. I mention this only to illustrate how much more important great blacks are to high brightness, at least to me.

As for the white balance settings, I can't help you there as I am satisfied with the factory calibrations. I realize that I'm not a connoisseur of picture quality as most on this forum are, but my untrained eye is happy and that's what counts!
430 hp 70 likes this.
post #1640 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16 View Post

Any suggestions?
Do you mean de-blur 4 and de-judder 0? If so, try de-blur 0 & de-judder 3. I have DTV & this works well for me. I get a lot of frame skips/stutters with de-blur set at anything above 0 on DTV. And since de-blur supposedly only affects 60 Hz signals, movement is fairly smooth without much interpolation.
post #1641 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
Somewhere between 310 and 320 mm I would say.
Around 12 inches i guess. Since my hybrid stand is an older model looks like the holes of my brackets won't do.
I don't want to change my stand just because of that. I wonder if i could different brackets.
Here is a photo of my stand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10086976dl1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2119457  
post #1642 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 55
At roughly 50 hours things are continuing to improve. I had one comp cycle that made a poor change, but that's already been resolved and it's now at a new best. I attached a 1/3rd size photo of the 5% slide in this post, but you can see the original full size photo in my imgur album HERE. I'm curious what you guys think.

I checked Arrival again now in the grass panning sequence which, for reference, occurs at roughly 00:17:30 to 00:19:30. I can just barely make out two very faint bands between 18:40-19:25. The rest of the grass panning sequence is fault free for me, and many other scenes which I expected to see problems are error free. Given this, it is now clear to me that unless your set is virtually perfect, you WILL at some point see banding in real content. If you don't own an OLED yet, don't buy one expecting to never see problems. You will. I'm still very happy with this one though... the bands are so faint that they are hard to see unless I'm looking for them, and they don't draw my attention away from the content.

I'm willing to bet the compensation algorithm could be improved. One idea that I had that might be interesting is if they allowed the user to tell the TV whether the last compensation cycle was better, or worse. It could potentially use that information for future comp cycles. Does Sony and Panasonic have their own proprietary algorithms or do they just use the one that LG does?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LG C7P - New Set (49 hours) (33%).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	883.3 KB
ID:	2119513  
post #1643 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post
Homeland IS a nightmare on OLED for some reason.

Were you streaming too or watching a live broadcast/DVRed episode?
Thanks for confirming that, glad it's not just my imagination. I've watched a lot of other drama shows that don't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Homeland is. It could be a combination of mastering, heavy film grain and video compression. I wouldn't be surprised if Walking Dead was also a problem since it has very heavy film grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaken2000 View Post
Arrival. Scene 3. 18:48. That's a pretty tough sequence. I can clearly see multiple horizontal bands on my set.
Yep I checked it, see my last post on that.

Quote:
Interestingly, I'm having a hard time seeing any issues with that scene on my set. I'm finding that it's easier to spot while the camera is moving horizontally on a somewhat uniform background.
The only part of that scene that's a problem for me is the very end, when Saul kind of slowly smiles at Carrie. The background is dark green, and there is no motion. It's about 10 seconds total.

Quote:
Curious what obsessing over details like this can create. I've been satisfied with my upstairs TV, a Sony Z Series, for many years and was perfectly content with the PQ. Now that I'm obsessing about flaws, I'm now seeing for the first time some clouding during camera movement while watching hockey...

I guess it helps put things into perspective. If you look hard enough, you're going to find flaws. So even with the occasional banding, which I'm still hoping (self delusion?) will subside with time, I still think this TV is the best picture I've ever seen.
I think it's a good idea to review your set carefully in the beginning. Determine what's acceptable to you, evaluate it, and then either send it back or keep it. I am doing this partly for that reason, and partly to help other people make an informed decision. I am definitely happy with this set and probably a month from now I'm going to move on and just use the TV like a normal human being (lol).
Flaken2000 and aypues like this.
post #1644 of 36409 Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Wonder if the exstra brightness on 2017 panels is why the uniformity looks worse ?
Not looking to good atm.
post #1645 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Wonder if the exstra brightness on 2017 panels is why the uniformity looks worse ?
Not looking to good atm.
Here is my 2017 g7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170506_015619202_1494054279506.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2119769  
vaktmestern likes this.
post #1646 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
sorry to go back from a topic already discussed here (last page) but something is not clear in my mind -and that is a buying criteria for me.
That is ATMOS + ARC + HDMI
can you please confirm the following are working or not and eventually suggest a solution ? (assuming the AVreceiver supports ATMOS)

1) BR UHD with ATMOS track from an UHD player sent via 1 HDMI to C7 (video) and 1 HDMI to AVreceiver (Audio) --> Does ATMOS work ?

2) Streaming an ATMOS content, from network to C7, with audio stream sent to AVreceiver via HDMI ARC - Does ATMOS work ?

3) Object sound content (Atmos) from HardDisk or PC feed sent via HDMI and/or COAX to AVreceiver- Does ATMOS work ?

Thanks in advance
post #1647 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes - only HDMI, compatible Player needed
post #1648 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextmoney View Post
Yeah I think it's time to move on this. Now that it's developed that horizontal bar I'm really not happy. Well I wasn't all that happy about it before. That bar is not going away and I was catching it in content last night. I'm not sure what's really going on since I can't figure what could have caused it. Running a comp cycle now to see if it goes away.

I know I've gone back and forth on this, but all I know at the moment is I have a very expensive TV in my house that I don't like and rather not use. I'm a movie nut too so this is bordering on the painful.

Oh ISF Dark for the most part.

post #1649 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertzius View Post
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes - only HDMI, compatible Player needed
thanks..that was my fear

so there's no way to have a net feed like netflix with DV + ATMOS (supposing the content exists)

or, if you player supports both DV & ATMOS, I can use the app from the UHD player and have both ?
can DV be passed to LG TV via HDMI ?
post #1650 of 36409 Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Yeah I think it's time to move on this. Now that it's developed that horizontal bar I'm really not happy. Well I wasn't all that happy about it before. That bar is not going away and I was catching it in content last night.
This happened before to an owner with a 2016 model, but I don't remember what the final outcome was. Usually, if it's from letterbox content, it clears on the next auto comp. cycle, but it seems yours is limited exclusively to the top portion of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page