2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 583 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980490Likes

post #17461 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just set up the b7a, looks great

I have the denon avr x1300w system and it auto turns on/off when I turn the TV on. How do I disable that? With my old TV, I would manually have to turn on the receiver for it to pair with the TV and I think I'd prefer that as I only use my surround sound for movies. Right now I have Audio out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and Simplink on. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17462 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusmaug View Post
Are the 55"B7 prone to issues as well, especially regarding banding?
By all accounts, the 55" LG sets have fewer uniformity issues than the 65" sets. But there's never a guarantee. Your chances should be better with a 55", but you're still taking your chances.
post #17463 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
By all accounts, the 55" LG sets have fewer uniformity issues than the 65" sets. But there's never a guarantee. Your chances should be better with a 55", but you're still taking your chances.
Well that's not reassuring, how common and noticeable are these issues ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17464 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My recently purchased B7A has 3 dead sub pixels and 1 dead pixel, luckily Best Buy will be delivering the replacement set while taking this one off my hands later this week. Hope the second one turns out better.
post #17465 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Uniformity unfortunately is one of the few drawbacks of oled...some are good some are not, but the same can be said for lcd.
post #17466 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2017 View Post
Thanks will wait for it :-)

We seldom let the LEDs on while watching tv, should've installed a dimmer with them but I might replace them sometime with Philips HUE lights.
post #17467 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1dem View Post
Hi Guys,

I have 65" B7 which is connected to my avr (Onkyo 676) via the ARC port and the sound is coming from my 5.1 system.
Now it's probably a very simple question but if I connect a MacBook or a usb stick to the TV to watch a movie is the sound coming from the 5.1 system of the same quality as if the device was connected directly to the avr? I mean is there any loss of sound quality if I use the TV port instead of the avr?

Thanks.
I watch all my 4K HDR files from a hard drive connected directly to my TV and passing audio to my AVR and 7.2.4 system via ARC and yes, the audio quality is just as good .
The big disadvantage is that ARC does not support Lossless Dolby Atmos (Dolby Atmos True HD) or Lossless DTS formats. So if you have a file with these sound track types they will not play unless they also have a suitable lossy soundtrack as well, in which case they should automatically revert to this second sound track. It is possible to have a lossy Atmos soundtrack.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #17468 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
If you have the TV set to bitstream audio across ARC, it will pass the lossy DTS core of a DTS-HD MA audio stream. I'm not sure what will happen with TrueHD. Probably you just won't get any audio at all.
So to close this question in case of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD better connect the computer to the avr. For other audio sources it's fine to go through the TV (same sound quality).
The main reason I started this thread is that my avr cannot play movies from usb so I want to understand what can be played from my B7 usb without sacrificing sound quality.
post #17469 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you have the TV set to bitstream audio across ARC, it will pass the lossy DTS core of a DTS-HD MA audio stream. I'm not sure what will happen with TrueHD. Probably you just won't get any audio at all.
How do you set the TV to bitstream audio across ARC ?
I can't find any setting under audio that seems to fit.

post #17470 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
B7 USB file system

Hi guys,

I just found out that my B7 can only read USBs formatted as FAT32 and NTFS. This is kind of frustrating for a Mac user because on FAT32 there is 4gb single file limit and NTFS is read-only on Mac. I was planning to use my external hard-drive as a movie source but it seems impossible now since it is formatted as ExFat.
Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem?
post #17471 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it is good to bear in mind that you are on a site where , generally but not exclusively, people are looking for advice on issues they are having and so that makes it appear that everyone (and his dog) is having problems. There are a lot of LG OLEDs out there whose owners do not post here and who are very happy with their TV.
All TVs have the potential for less than perfect performance and you could get unlucky with any brand or display technology. I know it's a pain if you need to return a set but I would do just that if I wasn't happy.
Personally I own a 65B7V-Z (which is a UK model) and I am 100% happy with my screen uniformity and the unbelievable picture quality. It is streets ahead of my old Sony LED and I can't see me going back to LED until they make an emissive LED panel.
So I would say go for it! I truly believe that these LG OLEDs represent the best value picture quality to be had for your cash, by some margin.
JRomulus likes this.

post #17472 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

True, but the fact remains that was is an issue to some is just not bothering a lot of other people. I know my wife would never even think about the yellow tint on the side, she just would assume it's the way it is. But fact that it's not bothering everyone, does not mean it's not there. Quite a few people have seen and complimented my 65" stating it looks fabulous, until I point out the yellowing on the left and then they go "oh right, now that you say it"...
post #17473 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
True, but the fact remains that was is an issue to some is just not bothering a lot of other people. I know my wife would never even think about the yellow tint on the side, she just would assume it's the way it is. But fact that it's not bothering everyone, does not mean it's not there. Quite a few people have seen and complimented my 65" stating it looks fabulous, until I point out the yellowing on the left and then they go "oh right, now that you say it"...
Of course some have issues, which is what I said.
Personally I don't have screen uniformity issues BUT if I did I would return the set (as I also stated). I wouldn't just put up with it and really cannot understand why you do.
The point I made was that there are issues with all brands and technologies and I don't believe LG are worse than any others. You will see people with issues on all the other Owner Forums. Perhaps LG seem to have more issues but that is probably due to there being a lot more of their TVs out there so more problems get reported.
JRomulus likes this.

post #17474 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Alex, the reason I'm reluctant to send mine back is because a lot of people with the same issues (hence "sensitive" to them) seem to have swapped multiple times without any improvement, sometimes even getting worse sets. The tinting is the only part where my oled disappoints, so I'm frankly a bit afraid to swap it and get one with the same issue and possibly some other issues on top. Of course I might as well get one that's a lot better, but I really have a hard time accepting to basically 'gamble' at this price point. Mind my retailer who sells a lot of these also said he has encountered the yellow-tint complaint quite a bit and he has no guarantee a new one will be better.
VidPro and jrref like this.
post #17475 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by recca View Post
I’ve followed this thread for like 4 months before getting this TV. I was kind of expecting a myriad of problems and issues. After 3 days I have to say that this is the best piece of tech I have owned in the last 10 years. I’ve been watching Godless on Netflix and the PQ is mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. There's a lot of persnickety TV owners in this thread, and pretty much all the other threads for that matter. It would be easy to come away with the impression that every TV made is a POS regardless of brand or model. In a very few instances that might apply. I absolutely love my C7 and am addicted to its incredible PQ. It is easily the best TV I've ever owned. Fantastic.
bbbobbb, recca, OddyOh and 5 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #17476 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Alex, the reason I'm reluctant to send mine back is because a lot of people with the same issues (hence "sensitive" to them) seem to have swapped multiple times without any improvement, sometimes even getting worse sets. The tinting is the only part where my oled disappoints, so I'm frankly a bit afraid to swap it and get one with the same issue and possibly some other issues on top. Of course I might as well get one that's a lot better, but I really have a hard time accepting to basically 'gamble' at this price point. Mind my retailer who sells a lot of these also said he has encountered the yellow-tint complaint quite a bit and he has no guarantee a new one will be better.
I can absolutely understand that you are concerned about playing the panel lottery. There are no guarantees that the next would be better but personally I feel that these TVs are a premium price and as such you deserve a premium image quality. If I could see any banding with slides (which I don't) that would be OK as long as I couldn't see it in content. However if I did see it in content I would send it back and keep doing so until I got a panel with no content visable issues.
We do have a store here in the UK which will unpack your TV and inspect it for issues and also run it in over a couple of weeks before dispatch. For an extra fee you can have it calibrated by Vincent Teoh before it is sent out to you. It's a pity more stores don't offer at least the first part of that service.
Anyway , the best of luck with your panel. I hope that it improves somehow for you.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 12-18-2017 at 06:44 AM.
post #17477 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
I’ve followed this thread for like 4 months before getting this TV. I was kind of expecting a myriad of problems and issues. After 3 days I have to say that this is the best piece of tech I have owned in the last 10 years. I’ve been watching Godless on Netflix and the PQ is mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called selection bias and these forums are a good example of it's effects.
bbbobbb, Datagg, noobtv and 2 others like this.

Mark
post #17478 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hi guys,

I just found out that my B7 can only read USBs formatted as FAT32 and NTFS. This is kind of frustrating for a Mac user because on FAT32 there is 4gb single file limit and NTFS is read-only on Mac. I was planning to use my external hard-drive as a movie source but it seems impossible now since it is formatted as ExFat.
Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem?
You need a program like Tuxera NTFS for your Mac--that will let you write NTFS to your hard-drive.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #17479 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
I thought LG doesn't do black frame insertion...

As per Vincent from HDTVtest's video about the firmware, the dimmer game mode is because it tries to preserve highlight detail, so has to sacrifice overall brightness.
Yep. Someone posted a while back that the LG used black frame insertion. I guess I should have checked out that claim a little closer, but I was new to the TV at the time and simply recorded in my head - and I don't game - so I never use that PM.

My bad. As they say: "garbage in = garbage out".
noobtv and alexbarbel like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #17480 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Do you have "deep color" enabled on the TV for the HDMI input that the Chromecast Ultra is connected to?

If the Chromecast is connected through an AVR, is the AVR HDR capable and has that setting enabled?

They should look identical. There's no limitation with HDMI.
They should look identical but they don’t in my case. HDMI Deep color has been enabled (hdr wouldn’t have showed at all with it disabled) an the chromecast ultra is plugged directly in.
post #17481 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Overall uniformity is better on OLED than LCD, but LCD buyers don't run over-stress tests nearly as often as OLED aficionados do. Banding or 'lines' however is an OLED potential issue but is only highlighted when people run over-stress tests and is almost always not visible in normal viewing. Threads like this are dominated by expert users who like to dig deeper than the typical viewer, so the potential issue is highlighted and seems common, but it is not.
Results are near the bottom of the page: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...een-effect-dse

Just buy your OLED from a vendor with a proper return policy in the rare event you need to swap it out. OLED has the most accurate detail and colors, and outstanding black levels; it is well worth the very small risk.
noobtv, alexbarbel and JRomulus like this.
post #17482 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6789 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
Quote:
I just got my B7. Should I be careful watching NFL Refzone for 6 hours?
Yes be careful, after that bad call last night you should maybe watch something else........lol.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #17483 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Ok so after spending a few more nights with my 65 B7, I am noticing what I would call micro-stutters. Not sure I'd say dropped frames, but some motion issue that is very slight. I'm sensitive to dropped frames etc... and this is bothersome. My wife would never notice it - it isn't flagrant. But I might notice it a few times in a typical 5 minute period.

Watching DirecTV Genie box via HDMI, and watching a DVR'ed show I've watched lots of times before on several other sets (got another Samsung M8000 sitting on the floor I just swapped out for this OLED) with the same equipment.

Is this a known issue with the LG sets?

I've got all the motion stuff turned off as best I can tell - Don't like frame interpolation.

Thanks
post #17484 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
Ok so after spending a few more nights with my 65 B7, I am noticing what I would call micro-stutters. Not sure I'd say dropped frames, but some motion issue that is very slight. I'm sensitive to dropped frames etc... and this is bothersome. My wife would never notice it - it isn't flagrant. But I might notice it a few times in a typical 5 minute period.

Watching DirecTV Genie box via HDMI, and watching a DVR'ed show I've watched lots of times before on several other sets (got another Samsung M8000 sitting on the floor I just swapped out for this OLED) with the same equipment.

I've got all the motion stuff turned off as best I can tell - Don't like frame interpolation.

Thanks
You can turn on Frame Interpolation without it getting wierd looking. Just play with the slidders. Also you issue may clear up as the TV settles in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #17485 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
Why don't you give TruMotion a try? If you do perhaps try the User setting with maybe a De-Judder of 2 and a De-Blur as high as 10. You can increase De-Judder if necessary and I don't notice any Soap Opera Effect until I get past 4. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results you get.
If that doesn't make any difference I would be looking at the HDMI cables, remembering that a cable that worked in one set up doesn't necessarily work in another. I have recently gone to High Speed Certified Cables and that has cured an audio problem I was having that didn't happen with my old TV and with my old, non certified, cables. Strange beasts these HDMI cables.

post #17486 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Why don't you give TruMotion a try? If you do perhaps try the User setting with maybe a De-Judder of 2 and a De-Blur as high as 10. You can increase De-Judder if necessary and I don't notice any Soap Opera Effect until I get past 4. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results you get.
If that doesn't make any difference I would be looking at the HDMI cables, remembering that a cable that worked in one set up doesn't necessarily work in another. I have recently gone to High Speed Certified Cables and that has cured an audio problem I was having that didn't happen with my old TV and with my old, non certified, cables. Strange beasts these HDMI cables.
Well you are right about HDMI cables for sure. In this case I really don't think it is the issue though, as it is low-bandwidth signal (720p and 1080i/p coming from Genie box). I'll swap the cable to one of my 600mhz-tested ones just to be sure though.

I've had significant trouble with HDMI cables in another room trying to move 600mhz (4K HDR @60p ) signals around. Had to go fiber optic to make the 50' run reliably. Even some 6' runs required me to purchase 3-4 cables ("Certified" - what a joke) and try each - sometimes only 1 of the group would be reliable. And sometimes, the iffy cables would be fine with another source / display chain. It has to work as a unit, from source, to AVR (if you're using one), to display. Check out the HDFury thread if you want to read up on impossible HDMI issues....

This is definitely a processing issue of some kind - it is really slight.

I do have some kind of "Cinema" processing setting set to "on" - assume it is for 24p material to display correctly but don't know - maybe I'll try turning that off.

Material I'm watching / observing issue with is not film-based.

I've never noticed this on 2 Samsung (recent, middle to upper tier) sets in the same room with same source.

This is an issue I don't want to live with (no matter how slight), as it just drives me nuts. So it will be back to LCD of some kind (Samsung / Sony or something other than LG video processor) in there if I can't figure it out.

Thanks
post #17487 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well you are right about HDMI cables for sure. In this case I really don't think it is the issue though, as it is low-bandwidth signal (720p and 1080i/p coming from Genie box). I'll swap the cable to one of my 600mhz-tested ones just to be sure though.

I've had significant trouble with HDMI cables in another room trying to move 600mhz (4K HDR @60p ) signals around. Had to go fiber optic to make the 50' run reliably. Even some 6' runs required me to purchase 3-4 cables ("Certified" - what a joke) and try each - sometimes only 1 of the group would be reliable. And sometimes, the iffy cables would be fine with another source / display chain. It has to work as a unit, from source, to AVR (if you're using one), to display. Check out the HDFury thread if you want to read up on impossible HDMI issues....

This is definitely a processing issue of some kind - it is really slight.

I do have some kind of "Cinema" processing setting set to "on" - assume it is for 24p material to display correctly but don't know - maybe I'll try turning that off.

Material I'm watching / observing issue with is not film-based.

I've never noticed this on 2 Samsung (recent, middle to upper tier) sets in the same room with same source.

This is an issue I don't want to live with (no matter how slight), as it just drives me nuts. So it will be back to LCD of some kind (Samsung / Sony or something other than LG video processor) in there if I can't figure it out.

Thanks
I think you are referring to Real Cinema. TruMotion is not the same and I would definitely give it a try , starting with De-Judder at 2 and increasing it if needed. It would be a shame to have to go back to LED/LCD if it could be cured without any downsides. I use TruMotion on User with De-Judder 3 and De-Blur 10 and see no side effects whatsoever.

post #17488 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by puncho View Post
Just set up the b7a, looks great

I have the denon avr x1300w system and it auto turns on/off when I turn the TV on. How do I disable that? With my old TV, I would manually have to turn on the receiver for it to pair with the TV and I think I'd prefer that as I only use my surround sound for movies. Right now I have Audio out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and Simplink on. Thanks!
The auto on/off is CEC at work. Turn CEC off to disable it. When you want to use the AVR to playback audio from the TV you will have to re-enable CEC so that ARC can be used (unless your receiver can handle these independently).
post #17489 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
I think you are referring to Real Cinema. TruMotion is not the same and I would definitely give it a try , starting with De-Judder at 2 and increasing it if needed. It would be a shame to have to go back to LED/LCD if it could be cured without any downsides. I use TruMotion on User with De-Judder 3 and De-Blur 10 and see no side effects whatsoever.
For sure - I don't want to count it out if I can avoid it with a simple setting. It just seems like this would be a known issue, and that step one with your new LG is to turn on De-Judder or you'll have issues. Is this the case? I haven't scoured this thread (and I guess I should...) but just wanted to know if slight motion hiccups were a "known" with LG processing.

What is the de-judder setting doing? I assume the de-blur is somehow interpolating frames, but seems like judder is either there or not (ie, not doing the proper 60p to 24p conversion and getting extra or dropped frame). So having a variable adjustment for it seems weird...
post #17490 of 36584 Old 12-18-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
So to close this question in case of DTS-HD MA and TrueHD better connect the computer to the avr. For other audio sources it's fine to go through the TV (same sound quality).
The main reason I started this thread is that my avr cannot play movies from usb so I want to understand what can be played from my B7 usb without sacrificing sound quality.
If your AVR cannot play movies from a USB then there is a good chance that it cannot pass 4K video streams to the TV. You will have exchanged good picture for good sound. Just pick the option that best suits your requirements. Getting a good AVR, with DV support, solves the problems as all devices will be connect to the AVR, so it has the original high quality sound stream and will pass the 4K streams to the TV. It is a never ending upgrade path.
JRomulus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page