AVS Forum banner
5M views 40K replies 3K participants last post by  ToonMasterTim 
#1 ·
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.

#11,642 ·
The LG Jazz in HDR clip is still washed out but it's definitely not as noticeable as the others.. pay close attention to the blacks.. blacks are grey.. I remember playing that one with the working YT version and it really popped.. colors vibrant and all.
It's possible you're right that it's slightly washed out, but the blacks do appear perfect black for me here.

The only time they aren't fully black is for about a second at 1:47 when the green paint flies up. It's perfect blacks the rest of the time, at least when I think it should be.

I just downloaded that video using:
Code:
youtube-dl -f 337+140 --merge-output-format mkv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkggXE5e2yk
and the resultant mkv kicks the TV into HDR mode and it looks just as good.

If all the youtube HDR videos looked this good, I'd be very happy.

Why is that one OK??
Sorry. Yes. I was referring to 1:47 with blacks being washed out. Try changing picture mode to HDR Effect and man does it really pop! And I would be happy too! Hopefully a fix comes soon..

#11,643 ·
For those who have updated to FW 4.70.07. Since updating I have begun to see periodic, very small glitches when watching cable from my Comcast DVR. The DVR has worked flawlessly since I got it earlier this year (and I went through five of them in less than a week before landing this one). The glitches are video only and look like a very brief image shift. I've had some problems with the DVR connected to HDMI-1 that I'm still trying to pin down before I have to make a service call but the glitches occur when the DVR is connected to HDMI-3 as well. I haven't watched very much UHD or Blu-ray source material since the update and that would, hopefully, show whether the glitches are coming from the DVR or the TV. In the meantime, I figured that I would ask those who have the new firmware about this.

#11,644 ·
For those who have updated to FW 4.70.07. Since updating I have begun to see periodic, very small glitches when watching cable from my Comcast DVR. The DVR has worked flawlessly since I got it earlier this year (and I went through five of them in less than a week before landing this one). The glitches are video only and look like a very brief image shift. I've had some problems with the DVR connected to HDMI-1 that I'm still trying to pin down before I have to make a service call but the glitches occur when the DVR is connected to HDMI-3 as well. I haven't watched very much UHD or Blu-ray source material since the update and that would, hopefully, show whether the glitches are coming from the DVR or the TV. In the meantime, I figured that I would ask those who have the new firmware about this.

I have experienced the same with Cox. But I must admit, I surely experienced the same occasionally prior to the update.

I chalk this up to Cox DVR being "less" than up to date technology, the probability of a crappy hard drive and the software that probably does not overwrite areas of the hard drive as well as a computer would.

I find it annoying but I am living with it.

Should Cox raise their rates (which I expect after my one year of special rates) I am going to go back to Directv which are offering many significantly better offers.

Larry

#11,645 ·
Oh ok, I think that's the mountains episode. I'll have a look for it. I've upgraded now but never noticed anything bad when I watched it before. I always turn off all interpolation and extra processing that I can so maybe that's why it was ok?

That mountains episode was pretty visually amazing.
Yeah, the mountains episode it looks like (judging from the BBC website).

With TruMotion off it was worse than with it on, DB2 and DJ2. But they couldn't even tell me if it was 60fps or 24.

What's even more interesting is that there's a section where they show the side of the hill and the colors on the LG looked better than the calibrated A1E.

#11,646 ·
Should always write down all the settings for each input and mode. Even after pro calibrations I still like to play around so I always do this as a matter of routine. Over time sets tend to drift out of calibration and my own taste changes. I really don't mind that updates wipe settings but it would be nice to have a settings manager where one could just upload a file.
Most calibrators will have your setting on file as well......

#11,647 ·
I just bought an OLED55C7P and noticed that there is a spot in the configuration to link a keyboard with the TV. I tried a microsoft blue tooth keyboard I had lying around and it didn’t work. What keyboards work with this TV? Which ones are the best ones? I’m also looking for one that is the smallest possible or at least on the small side.

#11,650 ·
What settings are you using? Do you have the input labeled as PC to get 4:4:4? what GFX card do you have?

Mine looks beautiful as monitor and the blacks are black as black gets. I have 2 professional IPS panels on either side of it and it makes the black (and colors) on them look like a joke.
My input is labeled as PC. My GPU is a GTX 1080. In my Nvidia settings i have set the color format to YCbCr444.

#11,651 ·
Is anyone playing Destiny 2 on PC in HDR? I'm getting some problems. On my NVIDIA 1080Ti, if I use NVIDIA recommended settings, it's black level: low. Which is fine, but colors still look washed out unless I push Dynamic Contrast to at least "Low". This combination looks right to my eye but I'm wondering if someone else has other recommended settings that are better?

Above is in Game Mode. In PC Mode, I get banding, of course.

#11,655 ·
I sit about 2.5 feet from my screen and am using isf dark, 60,85,50,0,0,55 and g set to 2.4 for normal monitor use and I like it.
Have you tried turning up the brightness setting? That's how i found out that the blacks displayed when i used it as a PC monitor where in fact not true blacks, because they were clearly gray at a higher brightness setting.

#11,656 ·
I'm not sure I understand my LG C7V in "game mode" because when I use that mode on my Xbox One it will actually studder much more than if I choose "sport" which at the same time makes GTA V look way more realistic and sharp.

Also I've just finished Fast and Furious 8 and the text will studder when I'm in "game mode" but not if I'm in "sport" mode.

What is going on with the game mode? It was suppose to decrease that kind of lag/studder right?

#11,657 ·
I have experienced the same with Cox. But I must admit, I surely experienced the same occasionally prior to the update.

I chalk this up to Cox DVR being "less" than up to date technology, the probability of a crappy hard drive and the software that probably does not overwrite areas of the hard drive as well as a computer would.

I find it annoying but I am living with it.

Should Cox raise their rates (which I expect after my one year of special rates) I am going to go back to Directv which are offering many significantly better offers.

Larry
Any hard drive based DVR will occasionally throw a hiccup but aside from those my DVR has never had the problem that I've seen since 7.40.07 was installed. That's what concerns me. I'll watch some movies from my Sony X800 player over the weekend to see if the glitches appear.

#11,658 ·
Have you tried turning up the brightness setting? That's how i found out that the blacks displayed when i used it as a PC monitor where in fact not true blacks, because they were clearly gray at a higher brightness setting.
You should be adjusting contrast and brightness together to get the black level that is appropriate for your application. If your blacks look gray turn it down until they are black. TO get the right settings you should use test patterns. If brightness is up too high black will look gray and if its turned too far down shadows will lose their detail and be crushed. I would suggest reading some of the content on how to do calibrating using basic patterns. This is probably a good place to start http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322 It will explain the settings and how to use them.