2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 585 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980510Likes

post #17521 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1dem View Post
Hi guys,

I just found out that my B7 can only read USBs formatted as FAT32 and NTFS. This is kind of frustrating for a Mac user because on FAT32 there is 4gb single file limit and NTFS is read-only on Mac. I was planning to use my external hard-drive as a movie source but it seems impossible now since it is formatted as ExFat.
Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem?
Is it worth $20 to you to buy a utility from Paragon Software to allow full read/write NTFS access?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17522 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Our 65" C7 arrived today and is on the wall! Any recommendations for HDMI cables? (Some of ours are only 3' so I need some longer ones). We are connecting:

> Apple TV 4th Gen (will get a 4K soon)
> Roku 4K
> TiVo OTA
> PS3

Suggestions appreciated- need to get this cable jungle cleaned up tonight!
post #17523 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
They are excellent, as good as having any one of the popular experienced calibrators here on AVS do it. Not as "famous" as Vincent lol but just as good.

Check the PM message I just sent you.
Thanks for the info , I find it very interesting! Am just about to check the message you sent.
jrref likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17524 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
For sure - I don't want to count it out if I can avoid it with a simple setting. It just seems like this would be a known issue, and that step one with your new LG is to turn on De-Judder or you'll have issues. Is this the case? I haven't scoured this thread (and I guess I should...) but just wanted to know if slight motion hiccups were a "known" with LG processing.

What is the de-judder setting doing? I assume the de-blur is somehow interpolating frames, but seems like judder is either there or not (ie, not doing the proper 60p to 24p conversion and getting extra or dropped frame). So having a variable adjustment for it seems weird...
A couple of firmwares ago I think everybody had some motion issues. Then along came an update and a lot of people who had been using TruMotion reported that it was no longer needed. Personally I find that I do need it on a very small percentage of my input and , as I do not see any downsides, I keep it on . I'm not technically so well informed as to tell you exactly how it works but hopefully there are others on this thread who will be able to give you that information.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #17525 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Any recommendations for HDMI Cables? Our 65" C7 arrived today and some of our HDMI cables are only 3'. We're connecting:

> Apple TV 4th Gen (will get a 4K soon)
> Roku 4K
> TiVo OTA
> PS3

C7 is on the wall and I want to organize the cable jungle tonight!
Anything from this specific category at monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/category?c...&cs_id=1024021

Regardless, to do 4K without having to worry about the issue being bad cables you will need certified premium high speed hdmi cables with the logo stating such....no logo/hologram then not the same thing.

It sounds hokey but the Oppo 203 thread is rife with all kinds of cable hell for those not using cables with this certification. Monoprice, Blue jean cables as well and others have this, be careful though some manufacturers say they are certified but without the logo/hologram they are not. 18Gbps hdmi cables from several years ago are NOT the same thing...
robnalex and Madmax67 like this.
post #17526 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
So I have an LG B7A 55" that I bought a couple weeks ago. I am very happy with the blacks (of course) and movies in general look amazing, but I bought this TV for my game room to play HDR games on. I am so far very unhappy with HDR gaming on this tv. The HDR game mode is very dark, even with dynamic contrast on high, and, the entire TV dims so much in some games. Specifically Assassins creed, when looking around in a very bright scene, the entire TV just suddenly darkens, which then can make a day time scene, seem almost like a night time scene. I assume this is caused by ABL, which I had no idea about when I bought this TV. I also have an X940E in my living room, and have no issues at all, and HDR gaming looks beautiful. I am honestly thinking of returning this for an x930e. Has anybody else had similar issues with gaming? I really like the tv, webos, and the amazing blacks, but its actually making me not want to play games at this point because of my issues. ABL being a very large one since games can get so bright.
I doubt this is ABL. I don't game on my OLED but while watching TV there are ads that are almost completely white screens, and they are blindingly bright when I have OLED Light set too high (and even when it isn't).

I think this is the game outputting highlights at a super-high nits level, so the TV has to lower the average brightness in order to preserve that highlight detail.

Does the game have any HDR settings you can adjust? If so I would advise adjusting the maximum nits level down to ~1200.
post #17527 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
If your AVR cannot play movies from a USB then there is a good chance that it cannot pass 4K video streams to the TV. You will have exchanged good picture for good sound. Just pick the option that best suits your requirements. Getting a good AVR, with DV support, solves the problems as all devices will be connect to the AVR, so it has the original high quality sound stream and will pass the 4K streams to the TV. It is a never ending upgrade path.
My AVR doesn't play movies from USB, but can pass 4K/HDR, and has a DV update on the way.

I don't think all that many AVRs have the ability to play videos from USB.
post #17528 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
They should look identical but they don’t in my case. HDMI Deep color has been enabled (hdr wouldn’t have showed at all with it disabled) an the chromecast ultra is plugged directly in.
Can you get into the menu of the chromecast and see the "stats for nerds" and take a picture of what it says? Are there any output settings that you can adjust on the chromecast?

Are you using the exact same picture mode on the TV for both?
post #17529 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Yep. There's a lot of persnickety TV owners in this thread, and pretty much all the other threads for that matter. It would be easy to come away with the impression that every TV made is a POS regardless of brand or model. In a very few instances that might apply. I absolutely love my C7 and am addicted to its incredible PQ. It is easily the best TV I've ever owned. Fantastic.
I actually consider myself very persnickety, and yet I'm super happy with my OLED, it's absolutely fantastic. Just perfect picture quality, no complaints here.

Also it looks great in the room, I love the look of the C7, very futuristic.

Literally the only thing I have to complain about is youtube HDR as the firmware to fix it is not out in Australia yet.
ataneruo, Datagg and alexbarbel like this.
post #17530 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Can you get into the menu of the chromecast and see the "stats for nerds" and take a picture of what it says? Are there any output settings that you can adjust on the chromecast?

Are you using the exact same picture mode on the TV for both?
I will try to take a picture but I do not believe there are any adjustments that can be made. I also noticed that regular 4k content on other youtube apps such as apple tv appear less saturated than the built in webos youtube app. All my settings are matching.
post #17531 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbobbb View Post
Anything from this specific category at monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/category?c...&cs_id=1024021

Regardless, to do 4K without having to worry about the issue being bad cables you will need certified premium high speed hdmi cables with the logo stating such....no logo/hologram then not the same thing.

It sounds hokey but the Oppo 203 thread is rife with all kinds of cable hell for those not using cables with this certification. Monoprice, Blue jean cables as well and others have this, be careful though some manufacturers say they are certified but without the logo/hologram they are not. 18Gbps hdmi cables from several years ago are NOT the same thing...
Excellent! Thanks- just ordered these on Amazon.
post #17532 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusmaug View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought an Sony XE90, which I am thinking of returning because of the uniformity and blooming. I am thinking about adding 300€ to get a 55B7 and get those perfect blacks.
My main usage is watching movies at night.

Are the 55"B7 prone to issues as well, especially regarding banding ? I wouldn't want to get another defective screen.

I stayed away from oled this year because I read there are too many issues, is it true ? The blooming on the XE90 is more annoying than I thought.

Thank you for your input.
Just buy it, they are awesome. I do most of my watching at night as well. OLED is so much better than LCD - I'm never buying another LCD except perhaps as a PC monitor.

Of course there are some people who have had issues, but I'm happy with mine, and if I wasn't I would have returned until I got one I was happy with. There are so many out there that there's bound to be some people who get bad units, and those people are more likely to post on here.
Datagg, alexbarbel and JRomulus like this.
post #17533 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
FYI. I manually installed latest firmware 4.70.36. Upon reboot I noticed screen was different as if a filter was applied. Not sure what setting had changed I began looking around and "Eye Comfort" mode was toggled on for some reason. Just wanted to pass along if in case this occurs to others. Happy Holidays!!
noobtv and alexbarbel like this.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 12-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #17534 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Am I the only one thinking that HDR looks much better than DV? Through the Apple TV is very noticeable, but even with the TV alone, I find HDR much richer
Theoretically DV should look better overall, and this is my experience, however you can have bad DV and you can have good HDR depending on who's doing the mastering, the source material, and how much care is taken. The Martian and Alien Covenant are HDR-10 on iTunes and looked quite good. Conversely I was not particularly impressed by some Dolby Vision movies like Close Encounters, the original Blade Runner (Final Cut), and Terminator Genisys. These movies don't look bad, but they didn't blow me away either. But then there are some movies that don't even have HDR that look great, I was very impressed with the 4K Edward Scissorhands, the colors really pop off the screen despite the lack of HDR. Look at the scene where he is cutting the womens' hair outside (maybe about 1/2 way through?), there is even great detail in the clouds behind that looks like HDR but isn't.

Of course the first thing to check is you have all the proper settings. Each HDR mode gets its own settings so I'd look at your DV settings. Brightness, OLED light, dynamic contrast, etc. I had to dial these in separately for HDR-10 and DV, they are not transferable.

Also, make sure you have the ATV set to switch (match) format and HDR and are not forcing it to map to a format that doesn't match the content.
Deckard71, noobtv and alexbarbel like this.

Last edited by Nigel_Tufnel; 12-18-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #17535 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just an update on the UV flashlight theory. I finally got my Convoy S2+ UV in (a fairly powerful UV flashlight for those unfamiliar) and got around to applying it to the screen.

Here's the result of about 30 - 40 minutes of exposure (on only the left side). One photo is before, one is after and I won't tell you which is which. I'll let you decide if you can see a difference:

https://imgur.com/a/pYZI3

I'll probably try to get a few more hours of exposure.
post #17536 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocirahl View Post
Just an update on the UV flashlight theory. I finally got my Convoy S2+ UV in (a fairly powerful UV flashlight for those unfamiliar) and got around to applying it to the screen.

Here's the result of about 30 - 40 minutes of exposure (on only the left side). One photo is before, one is after and I won't tell you which is which. I'll let you decide if you can see a difference:

I can't say I see enough of difference between the two to make a choice. At least none that couldn't be attributed to slight variations in the photos themselves.
post #17537 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
LG B7 arc struggles

I am trying to solve some issues I am having with arc and CEC, etc.

I have a Nvidia shield and dish Joey box, the LG and a Sony sound bar. HDMI to the LG and then HDMI arc into the sound bar.

My main issue is that about every other time I switch from the shield to the dish box, the sound bar takes this as a command to turn off. When I power back on, arc does not work and I have no sound. I then have to go into the menu of the LG, disable CEC, which turns off arc, then turn it all back on and then I get tv audio again.

This is a nightmare and luckily it happens mostly when I am home so I can fix it. I can only imagine trying to walk my wife through the same steps.

A secondary issue is that I feel there is a lip sync issue, something that never existed with my old setup when I didn't rely on arc for audio.

I am of the opinion that if I escape arc, then most everything is solved, but I want to first see if this is normal behavior for arc. Or maybe I am doing something wrong.
post #17538 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:

Man I hope that doesn't do any damage to your panel.
post #17539 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Man I hope that doesn't do any damage to your panel.
No damage so far, lol. Doesn't really seem to be helping either though.
post #17540 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
I find Netflix DV to be superior to open source HDR.
Agreed, especially in darker scenes.
post #17541 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No damage so far, lol. Doesn't really seem to be helping either though.
That's good although I would err on the side of caution! Don't really know what long term affect it may have in the panel. One thing I make sure is to have both my oleds completely out of direct sunlight.
post #17542 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have a chromecast ultra because i want screen mirroring from my phone, pandora, hbo go, and hdr rentals on google play. When casting a rather cool visualizer (projectm pro -- milk drop 2 derivative from winamp), ive had the chromecast freeze up and need a reboot a couple times, not sure if it's the app or the dongle. Ive also seen minor stuttering on google play movie casting that was rectified by a chromecast reboot....anywho....

I rented Baby Driver (good movie btw) in 4k hdr and it looked great except when i used subtitles. They were rather large and would cause screen brightness to noticeably fluctuate from light to dark the entire movie, see 3min in. If subtitles were off, this wouldnt happen. An error with chromecast hdr? Or this is how static hdr works with dyn contrast on low with large, bright, white subtitles that arent adjustable? A bad hdr encode or metadata for the movie itself?

I watched the same rental on lg youtube app but it outputted a horrible <1080p resolution but it was hdr lol but problem didnt show up, subtitles were slightly different size. Casting from phone youtube app at 4k hdr had the same problem.

The lesson? Dont use large, bright, white subtitles with hdr? Didnt have the problem with amazon.prime Goliath 4k hdr but subtitles were super small (maybe this is why?). I could return the chromecast for a refund or try another one....but not sure it will help. maybe ill have to get a appletv 4k. Very strange issue.
post #17543 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Am I the only one thinking that HDR looks much better than DV? Through the Apple TV is very noticeable, but even with the TV alone, I find HDR much richer
I can't say I agree. DV on my display looks stunning. HDR10 is good, especially with active HDR engaged, but DV is appreciably better to my eyes.
post #17544 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 PM

Just in case someone else runs into this issue:

I was getting this message when trying to update from 4.70.30 to 4.70.36:

Software update cannot be applied to the TV.

For some reason the software update wasn't working on my first flash drive formatted to FAT32. I tried a different flash drive formatted to NTFS and it worked fine.

If I had to guess, it's probably because the filename for the update file was too long for FAT32.
post #17545 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I can't say I agree. DV on my display looks stunning. HDR10 is good, especially with active HDR engaged, but DV is appreciably better to my eyes.
I agree, but hdr10 has made progress especially compared to the 2016 models...i believe active HDR is a welcome addition.
post #17546 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

For some reason the software update wasn't working on my first flash drive formatted to FAT32. I tried a different flash drive formatted to NTFS and it worked fine.

If I had to guess, it's probably because the filename for the update file was too long for FAT32.
I had no problems using FAT...
post #17547 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's hard to tell because the two pictures aren't taken from the same angle, but I'd say there's neither improvement nor degradation. If you didn't tell me that there was 30 minutes of UV between the two photos, I would have assumed the two photos were taken right after each other.

Last edited by noobtv; 12-18-2017 at 08:43 PM.
post #17548 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:

That's not it.

I updated the firmware yesterday from a FAT32 USB flash drive.

I unzipped the .epk file directly into the LG_DTV folder.
post #17549 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
That's not it.

I updated the firmware yesterday from a FAT32 USB flash drive.

I unzipped the .epk file directly into the LG_DTV folder.
Yes, FAT32 supports filenames up to 255 characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...systems#Limits
post #17550 of 36683 Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ Have to see it in content, to judge of that pic is impossible. You will not get a perfect TV so its up to you, as many have noted it does get better with time.....
I looked into the issue a little further and it seems its an on/off axis issue that some owners are experiencing. I'm not sure if each panel has some increased presence or not. I found a similar issue to mine, post #7002 . I added a few photos to show the issue. I do definitely see it as a discoloration of ~ 3 or so inches on the left of the screen, nothing on the right. Could this possibly be different with another panel? Its not an absolute deal breaker but now I'm obsessed with looking for it. The first pictures is a WAY off axis picture to highlight the discoloration that is difficult to catch on camera. Thanks in advance and any advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	2332476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	2332478  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page