2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980427Likes

post #1741 of 36418 Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Trust But Verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post
I was checking out the A1 vs C7 vs Samsung-Q at my local BestBuy/Magnoila (El Camino Mountain View, CA), and they had just been calibrated, even turned down the lights for me.
Surly not by D-Nice or Chad B Just because someone says a TV was calibrated means very little. Its all about who did it. There are reports of BB calibration making a TV worse then it once was out of the box......Of course this does not mean every set is worse, you just have to be careful.....All calibrators have reports that show the graphs and that will tell all. Without those, who knows.....
Yes, I was somewhat skeptical too as it was the 'blue shirt' guy who mentioned they'd been "calibrated to match"* (not one of the Magnolia employees) but, it did look pretty good: all skin-tones looked natural (especially critical with a nicely diverse cast of Rogue One), and having watched it on my Pioneer plasma (PDP-5010FD from you guys), it looked pretty good (though I was streaming from Xfinity/Comcast so...). They had turned off most of the video processing (no SoE like the screens — in out-of-the-box-mode — above them).

Now I'll need to load up a USB stick with 4k scenes, or see if they'll hook up an Oppo 20x model to see how the HDR looks — and I suspect the Sony being brighter was maybe just the 'panel lottery' — as with the various 6-series threads — the panel to panel differences were as much as model to model (or may suggest the calibrations weren't as matching as they said). And I noticed the delta between the 65A1E and 65C7P is back to $1500, so I really need to determine if the 'better processing' is worth it. (Also saw the two at my local Fry's (Sunnyvale) and the Sony was using its easel stand and even on a high stand on a platform the tilt wasn't too bad.) I also noted that at [email protected] had them both wall mounted with what appeared to be the same mount and the distance from the wall wasn't much different between the two.

* I knew what he was talking about, but, he seemed to be primed to note that the screens looked a little darker and colors weren't as vivid to the non-videophile customer...

erik g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 36418 Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Guys, my receiver doesn't support HDR pass-through. So I have a question:

If I output 4K 60 Hz HDR signal + Atmos sound out from my PC's Titan-Xp video card HDMI 2.0 port, directly into the C7, can I then use the HDMI ARC port on the C7 to pass Atmos to my receiver?
post #1743 of 36418 Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I received my C7P today from the FedEx guy, seller double boxed the unit like he was suppose to, everything was in excellent condition.

Wow is all I can say, I watched Netflix's "Chefs Table" in Dolby Vision in cinema mode, WOW WOW WOW, it's like watching the chef through a glass window, the detail, the clarity and the color just POP right in your face.

This OLED TV really has left my 60" 151FD Kuro in the dust as far getting on with the latest TV technology and whatever the future might bring.

Maybe I'm just not as picky as most of you, but I seriously didn't notice any defects with my panel, my stand is straight, the remote wand thing just works, and the WebOS is blazing fast.

I'm doing the D-Nice slides break-in, just like when I first got my Kuro back in '09, and if that'll improve things, anything....I'm all for it.

HDR is truly insane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 36418 Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
HDR is truly insane
I've had mine for a month and I still find myself thinking this.

Even a year from now, I'll probably still find myself blown away by HDR. A big reason behind that being that there's simply not a ton of HDR content out. I doubt I'll get to see even a handful of titles that show off the capabilities of HDR by the end of the year. Even after having my TV for a month, I haven't gotten to use HDR too much. I'm going to wait for the Scorpio before investing in a 4k blu-ray player.
post #1745 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post

If I output 4K 60 Hz HDR signal + Atmos sound out from my PC's Titan-Xp video card HDMI 2.0 port, directly into the C7, can I then use the HDMI ARC port on the C7 to pass Atmos to my receiver?
In theory, if your AVR supports atmos over ARC - not many do . In practice, I'm not sure if LG has even activated this feature yet. I can't get ARC to work at all so far
post #1746 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
Can't help thinking a fixed mount is a bad idea for this TV. For decent 4k content I can sit literally 3 feet away from the screen and still enjoy it. For decent HD, 4-5 feet is about the max. For Live TV, more like 6-8 feet. So being able to move the viewing distance by a meter is pretty handy. (edit: 65")
Sorry, I'm missing something here. What kind of mount allows changing the viewing distance by a meter? Is the TV on a support that has wheels?

Last edited by brec; 05-09-2017 at 05:01 AM.
post #1747 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brec View Post
Sorry, I'm missing something here. What kind of mount allows changing the viewing distance by a meter? Is the TV on a support which has wheels?
This kind of thing is what I have (not this exact model though). This is why I'd rather have a 65" C7 than a 77" W7

https://www.tvwallmount.co.uk/dq-reach-xxl-91-cm.html

Last edited by adamadamadam; 05-09-2017 at 05:16 AM.
post #1748 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post

Wow is all I can say, I watched Netflix's "Chefs Table" in Dolby Vision in cinema mode, WOW WOW WOW, it's like watching the chef through a glass window, the detail, the clarity and the color just POP right in your face.

HDR is truly insane
Is that through the LG's Netflix app? Is that ARCed back to your A/V? I was wondering how you can tell that Dolby Vision was working...if there is a place to "bring up that information".

I just got my B7 on Friday and am trying to learn a few things still.

Thanks!

Mike

LG OLED65B7P
LG UP970
Yamaha RX-V483
Apple ATV
post #1749 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 225
So I'm buying my OLED today, decided to go with the 65" C7 or B7 over the A1E and buying locally for the peace of mind. I haven't seen the B7 yet. Thinking that I'd rather buy from Costco since I'm already a member and they've got a better return policy. How is the SquareTrade warranty versus Best Buy's?
post #1750 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
In theory, if your AVR supports atmos over ARC - not many do . In practice, I'm not sure if LG has even activated this feature yet. I can't get ARC to work at all so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroot View Post
Is that through the LG's Netflix app? Is that ARCed back to your A/V? I was wondering how you can tell that Dolby Vision was working...if there is a place to "bring up that information".

Thanks!

Mike
I believe it's Dolby Vision, but it's not Dolby Atmos. Still 5.1 audio as far as I can recall. You should see the Dolby Vision icon pop up (similar to the standard HDR icon) when the content starts.
post #1751 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
So I'm buying my OLED today, decided to go with the 65" C7 or B7 over the A1E and buying locally for the peace of mind. I haven't seen the B7 yet. Thinking that I'd rather buy from Costco since I'm already a member and they've got a better return policy. How is the SquareTrade warranty versus Best Buy's?
Its a whole lot cheaper and basically just as good......You should try the internet sometime, I bought a 2015 Z06 Corvette sight unseen and shipped it to myself due to getting GMS pricing when no one else would sell for the 11K off.....
10k and Theheadsn like this.
post #1752 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Ok, after pursing 3 threads for a while now (zd9/ae1/c7) I pulled the cord and bought a C7, will arrive this week.

Ultimately I decided on the C7 for a few reason over the other two. Price playing a major factor. In the end I could not justify a 1.5k price difference for either Sony. I also decided that oled is plenty bright for my room. I was uninterested in any motion flow advantage the Sonys had. The C6 also is thinner when mounted on the wall.

I saw the down sides with the C7 being gradients not being as smooth. I also don't like at first use the webos UI (which is ironic as I worked on WebOS UI at PALM for their failed tablet--the last product before LG scooped up webos)

I also decided for the C7 over the B6, which was significantly less, because of the improved image persistence performance.

This is my first non Sony in 30 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1753 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Its a whole lot cheaper and basically just as good......You should try the internet sometime, I bought a 2015 Z06 Corvette sight unseen and shipped it to myself due to getting GMS pricing when no one else would sell for the 11K off.....

The C7 at bestbuy is significantly less than the b7 at Costco where I live! I was surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1754 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

-deleted-

Last edited by rsonnens; 05-09-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #1755 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Ok, after pursing 3 threads for a while now (zd9/ae1/c7) I pulled the cord and bought a C7, will arrive this week.

Ultimately I decided on the C7 for a few reason over the other two. Price playing a major factor. In the end I could not justify a 1.5k price difference for either Sony. I also decided that oled is plenty bright for my room. I was uninterested in any motion flow advantage the Sonys had. The C6 also is thinner when mounted on the wall.

I saw the down sides with the C7 being gradients not being as smooth. I also don't like at first use the webos UI (which is ironic as I worked on WebOS UI at PALM for their failed tablet--the last product before LG scooped up webos)
Price was the biggest consideration for me too. I'm getting a HTPC as well and the price difference between the C7/B7 and the A1E is almost the entire price of my HTPC with a 1080Ti. I'm feeding my TV all 4K sources (PC, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro) so better upscaling doesn't matter to me, and, having owned a Sony LCD 2 years ago, there's no magic processing that Sony is doing that justifies the premium.

I'm the opposite on OSes, though. I don't like Sony's Android TV implementation. I have one of their HDR LCDs in my office at work and it's a pain to use (and not particularly stable!).

Quote:
Yeah, I usually buy off of the Internet (bought my 500M new from a forum member online back in 2009) but this display is twice as much, and with the uniformity issues, I want to be able to take this back to the store if I need to.
post #1756 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I just searched on the net and supposedly yes it will work although that web page looked like a preview of 2017 lg oleds.

Can't wait for your comparison review of the C7 versus the A1E especially for gaming but also for 24p blu-rays.

Basically, im wondering about the difference in input lag and in judder in the motion with a 24p or 30p source. Try with both motion enhancements to off on both tv if you can please.

Im getting the itchy fingers as the C7 is on sale here and the A1E will be on demo probably this week at one if my best buys.
post #1757 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 37
LG B7 oled :
after 200 hours of use, a green tint slowly creeped into the dark-to-midbright portion of image, whilst the brighter area became blue-deficient.
There’s no significant improvement in terms of near-black uniformity on 2017 LG OLED televisions compared with 2016 ones.
post #1758 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post

I've had mine for a month and I still find myself thinking this.

Ditto. I can't believe the beautiful image! I sit there and am just stunned at anything HDR. Phew...
post #1759 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthatsabigscreen View Post
Ditto. I can't believe the beautiful image! I sit there and am just stunned at anything HDR. Phew...
Two Amazon episodes are the only TV-show/movie things I've watched so far on my new 65" C7, and last night one of them was HDR -- Bosch S2/E1. I was disappointed by a couple of things: a night scene in which the foreground was in focus and the background, out of focus, was the night sky above Los Angeles -- looking out, not up, from a high balcony. That out-of-focus sky looked really bad, as did the dark sweater that Bosch was wearing in the foreground; I apologize for not having a sufficiently precise vocabulary to describe it. Later in a daylight there was a pan across a tall building in the not-very-far background, and that building jumped back and forth.

I am not a professional, and a lot of the vocabulary used in this thread is as yet beyond me.

So far, among the very few things I've watched, I've been extremely impressed, in a dark viewing room, by the picture frames in the art show slides from the built-in OLED Gallery.

So far the bulk of the power-on time has been display of break-in slides. I've made no picture settings adjustments. I wish I had a "C7 Settings for Dummies" guide.

Last edited by brec; 05-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
post #1760 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brec View Post
That out-of-focus sky looked really bad, as did the dark sweater that Bosch was wearing in the foreground; I apologize for not having a sufficiently precise vocabulary to describe it. Later in a daylight there was a pan across a tall building in the not-very-far background, and that building jumped back and forth.
Turn off dejudder and trumotion in the dark room expert picture mode. Pause on that scene and have a play with your settings.
post #1761 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Turn off dejudder and trumotion in the dark room expert picture mode. Pause on that scene and have a play with your settings.
I assume this is for the second scene I mentioned -- daylight/building pan. Will do, the next evening I'm in watching mode.
post #1762 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Thanks!

Mike
If you tap settings and then tap on picture mode if the broadcast is in HDR or DV it will show left of the picture mode.
post #1763 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Yes, I just found it. Thanks! The owner's manual is basically worthless.

Mike
Mine didn't even come with a printed one - I had to go online and use the web one, which I agree is pretty useless (gives no additional information than the menu items themselves do). I wish TVs came with novels the way AV receivers do.

LG 65B7P
Yamaha Aventage A3060
Oppo UDP-203
PS4 Pro SSD
B&W 600 series 7.2.4 Atmos
post #1764 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIII View Post
Mine doesn't have that setting. I am not sure how old the hdmi cable is. Could it be that the tv will not offer the option if the hdmi cable won't support it?
You'll likely need to have something (an AV receiver or soundbar) connected to the HDMI-ARC connection on the back of the TV first so it can detect it. Also try enabling the SIMPLINK thing, which is the HDMI-CEC. You should see the options greyed out even if they aren't selectable. It could be the cable but try the above first.

LG 65B7P
Yamaha Aventage A3060
Oppo UDP-203
PS4 Pro SSD
post #1765 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:
HDMI-ARC currently only supports DD and DD+ streams, the latter of which can technically contain more than 5.1 channels but I've never seen it implemented. Both codecs are lossy, unlike TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos (update: Atmos comes in lossy flavour DD+, as well as lossless TrueHD). There isn't any solid reason why ARC wouldn't support the lossless codecs (particularly if the one connection doen'st have an upstream video content), but the HDMI org just didn't implement it that way when they did up the HDMI 1.4 spec.

The next version of HDMI, which is 2.1, will have something called "eARC" which is clearly intended to mean support for the object-based codecs like Atmos (which will include TrueHD and DTS-HD as well). HDMI's FAQ says that "some" impementations of HDMI 2.0x (like our TV) will be firmware upgradable to 2.1. So this is likely a "future support" potential, assuming HDMI 2.1 becomes official before the 2018 models are announced.

[Update -> I've added to post 1782 of this thread with more up to date / accurate info about the future prospect of TrueHD over ARC]

In short, no, the B7/C7 won't passthrough Atmos or other lossless codecs through ARC. (I've already tried using a PS4). I hope it comes, since my receiver also does not support HDR, but I'm expecting to upgrade it to a Yamaha Aventage soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisson View Post
My use case is slightly different, in that I have locally stored videos which have TrueHD or Atmos 7.1 audio tracks, and I'm trying to play them with the TV's DLNA client. They can't even play the audio track, and report an error that the video contains no audio. I was hoping this would work, to passthrough the audio to my receiver. I don't have an ARC capable receiver yet, but it doesn't look like it would matter, so I'll stick with what I have now and continue to use Optical out of the TV.

Sounds like HMDI-ARC doesn't currently support outputting this audio either, so I'm limited unless I want to go to a 4K receiver and run everything through that. I was hoping to go direct to the TV so that I could dial in my adjustments for each input, and send audio out with 1 cable, but it just doesn't look like that's going to be an option.
I agree it seems the LG DLNA client won't decode, process, or stream the lossless codecs, which is unfortunate for your scenario. However, you might have a different source in your setup that would recognize and pass it to your receiver. (A Blu-Ray player, game console, or streaming box, maybe). That would mean using the the secondary device for your client, though. In the worst case, you might try an inexpensive PC or android box.

I would be surprised if your receiver doen't support ARC though. If it has "tv" as a selectable input, it should. You might need to enable its HDMI-CEC feature, which every company seems to label differently. (Ex, LG calls it SIMPLINK). It is a moot point in your current setup though, unfortunately, since ARC won't currently do the lossless codecs anyway, and the client seems not to either.

LG 65B7P
Yamaha Aventage A3060
Oppo UDP-203
PS4 Pro SSD

Last edited by Hresna; 05-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #1766 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got my B7. Wow. Just, wow. Does anyone have a recommendation for HDR gaming starter settings? I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.
post #1767 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone figured out how to change the rotating wallpapers when you are at the homescreen?
post #1768 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Any calibrators care to share any settings?

LG 65C7p | Sony PS3 | Sony PS4 | Apple Ariport Express | Emotiva UMC-200 | Parasound HCA2003a | Parasound HCA1000a x 2 | Monster HTS3500 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 x 2 | NHT 1.5 | NHT VS2 | NHT Super Ones | SVS SB16 Ultra | Harmony Elite | Salamander Venice 237 | Sound Anchors Cone Coasters | Vibrapods
post #1769 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
I got my B7. Wow. Just, wow. Does anyone have a recommendation for HDR gaming starter settings? I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.
This might go without saying, but at the very least you'll want to turn off Energy Saving in HDR. I use it in SDR because SDR is very bright in my room but you don't want to dim the image for HDR.

Other things I recommend (but may not fit your preference)...

- Turn Sharpening Off (set to 0), and Super Resolution Off
- Set Color Temperature from C30 to ~W35 (depends on what warmth looks most natural to you). Image is far too cool on the default setting.
- Noise Reduction Features Off
- Dynamic Contrast (Off)
Ozymandis and rsonnens like this.
post #1770 of 36418 Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
@Hresna the LG 2017 TVs support Atmos over Arc, but LG uses a proprietary way because it is not defined by the HDMI Org as you said. So only the LG SJ9 recognises it, with luck other receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page