2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 650 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980596Likes

post #19471 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
That was always my understanding too, but 5.1 PCM ARC would explain what I'm seeing. I don't think the soundbar has any kind of special upmixing mode. Did I totally miss a memo about 5.1 ARC PCM somewhere? Is this some special capability that only some sets and/or soundbars have? Come to think of it, I remember a comment from a Nakamichi rep in an email reply that implied such a capability. I thought he just misspoke or was clueless and didn't follow it up.

If that really is what's happening, I wish I had known before. It would have saved me a ton of screwing around with various bitstreaming options.
Well it could work if both devices try it, since just because it was designed to reliably carry 1 or so Mbps, doesn't mean it can't carry 5Mbps if the cable is shorter (the standard was 45' max originally as far as I know).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19472 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well it could work if both devices try it, since just because it was designed to reliably carry 1 or so Mbps, doesn't mean it can't carry 5Mbps if the cable is shorter (the standard was 45' max originally as far as I know).
I think it's only a 3' cable, maybe a 6'. So that's consistent.
post #19473 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone. I recently purchased an OLED55C7, and while I'm very pleased by the image quality, I'm running into some odd problems. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

The first problem is that in Game mode, whenever a very bright scene is shown (like a white background), there's a noticeable drop in the screen's brightness. It's like the Brightness setting is being decreased on the fly. Dynamic Contrast, Dynamic Colour and Super Resolution are set to Off, and Gamma to Medium. Noise Reduction and Motion Eye Care is also set to Off. Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this?

The second problem, and a bit more worrying, is that when I'm playing on a PS4 Pro, the screen sometimes glitches and returns to the default "No Signal" screen. If I plug the HDMI cable in and out, it's back to normal. I'm not 100% sure if this only happens when displaying 4K RGB (with HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour enabled), but I haven't encountered this problem yet when using YUV420. I tried two different HDMI ports and it seems to have the same problem. I don't suspect the HDMI cable, but I'm trying a different one now nonetheless. The thing is that it only happens sporadically. It could work for an hour without any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19474 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
This ain't true
To clear up some amiguity about this response... there is no BFI on 2016/2017 OLEDs right? I can’t find anything online that suggests trumotion settings at 0 will enable BFI.
post #19475 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 3871
^^^no BFI on either of those, trust me their would have been a whole separate thread on flickering alone!
rsonnens, venus933 and sonoftumble like this.
post #19476 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
when I'm playing on a PS4 Pro, the screen sometimes glitches and returns to the default "No Signal" screen. If I plug the HDMI cable in and out, it's back to normal. I'm not 100% sure if this only happens when displaying 4K RGB (with HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour enabled), but I haven't encountered this problem yet when using YUV420.
This is almost certainly a cable problem. Your cable isn't providing enough steady bandwidth to support the higher bitrate signal required for 4K HDR and you lose the HDMI handshake when the bitrate falters. Get a certified premium cable that's no longer than it needs to be. The monoprice ones for ~$10 work fine for my PS4 Pro.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #19477 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
I’m finally really happy with the picture quality and input lag on LG B7A and Xbox One X. The settings that worked for me are first enabling PC input mode on B7 and enabling PC RGB color space on Xbox One X. The results are incredible. The best part is that since you’re using PC input mode, you can still toggle to other picture presets outside of Game mode and your lag will be excellent at 21ms thx to being in PC Input mode. Here are some screens taken with my iPhone X that show how it looks on:

SDR game (Batman Origins) using PC input mode on LG B7A with PC RGB color space on Xbox One X:
https://i.imgur.com/HukLzDo.jpg

HDR game (AC Origins) using PC input mode on LG B7A with PC RGB color space on Xbox One X:
https://i.imgur.com/RW3TWOk.jpg

Looks incredible. I am using the isf Expert Bright Room setting for SDR content. Checked the Xbox one calibration app and I see all the right squares so it’s not clipping whites or blacks. On HDR I am using the HDR Standard preset and it’s not dim like game mode and still has 21ms of input lag. Best of both worlds! Finally happy!
dang, this is interesting. I always assumed PC mode would take a hit in the PQ department.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #19478 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
...I don't suspect the HDMI cable, but I'm trying a different one now nonetheless. The thing is that it only happens sporadically. It could work for an hour without any problems.
Why would you not suspect the cable? That would be the first thing I would suspect! You need to make sure you are using high-speed HDMI cables.
adcustom and sonoftumble like this.

============================
Grouchy Golf
post #19479 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric23 View Post
Why would you not suspect the cable? That would be the first thing I would suspect! You need to make sure you are using high-speed HDMI cables.
100% yes. For 4K HDR to work 1000% of the time, you MUST use Premium Certified cables. Period.
sonoftumble and alexbarbel like this.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #19480 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
dang, this is interesting. I always assumed PC mode would take a hit in the PQ department.

Apparently I got told the downside is that PC Input has HDR always limited to 8-bit, this because it also has forced 4:4:4 chroma, and it's currently impossible to have both [email protected] + HDR10 + 4:4:4 Chroma.

8-bit HDR means worse color gamut, gradients and possible color banding and wash out.

I haven’t noticed this but something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19481 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7017 Post(s)
Liked: 7034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
Hey guys, can you guys recommend me a thin (not full motion) wall mount to compliment the C7's thinness? I'm looking for the thinnest (while remaining reliable) wall mount. This is my first TV mounting exp. ever.

Kind regards,

Max
Most standard flat mounts are 1.25" off the wall, that's real close.....There are some others closer but it gets to be a bear to use those......
post #19482 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
8-bit HDR means worse color gamut, gradients and possible color banding and wash out.

I haven’t noticed this but something to keep in mind.
I think you will if you start looking, even casually looking. Snowfields and blue skies display noticeable banding with PC mode input.
thatJohann likes this.
post #19483 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I think you will if you start looking, even casually looking. Snowfields and blue skies display noticeable banding with PC mode input.

Yeah I’ll switch back to non PC input mode. I want the best experience. Just hate Game mode with a passion.

post #19484 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
I am pretty sure ARC is limited to stereo PCM due to bandwidth limits (it was only designed for about 1Mbps and stereo 44.1Khz 16bit is already 1.4Mbps).
Have a look at these test results: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough
post #19485 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Have a look at these test results.
As far as I can tell, those don't test 5.1 PCM, only 5.1 DD and DTS.
post #19486 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone

I am happy owner of LG oled 65c7v i changed it from my 55c6v only to get atmos directly from tv and now I have problem and need your opinion.

Is this tv able to passthrough hdmi/optic cable 7.1 atmos or dts hd master audio sound to my denon x2300w receiver from usb disc ?

I know that limitation of hdmi ARC are limited to 6 chanel but maybe this tv is sending sound not using arc chanels but normaly like streaming sound from computer to receiver.

When using netflix atmos is streaming to my receiver so my setings should be correct.

I read a lot of topics and coments on internet talked with lg support and still did not get answer.

The only atmos sound which works from usb was official atmos test sound from dolby but I checked and its coded in 6 chanels not 8 like every hdr 4k movie nowadays.

If the atmos from netflix works does it mean they using only 6 chanels atmos and thats the reason its passing thru hdmi arc ?

And finally is the only option of having at the same time 4k HDR atmos movie from mkv is to buy for example oppo 203 or sony ubp-x700 and conect it to te receiver first ?

thanks for any answer ?
post #19487 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
100% yes. For 4K HDR to work 1000% of the time, you MUST use Premium Certified cables. Period.
I should have clarified that I'm using the original PS4 Pro High Speed HDMI cable. So it should work, but as most people here suspect the problem is indeed the cable, it might very well be faulty. I'm using a different cable now, I'll see if the problem persists.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #19488 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Well they explicitly say that nothing they tested can pass 5.1 PCM, only 2.1 and for 5.1 is has to be compressed (either DTS or DD).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #19489 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkan91 View Post
Is this tv able to passthrough hdmi/optic cable 7.1 atmos or dts hd master audio sound to my denon x2300w receiver from usb disc?
Atmos is a specification for object-based audio, not an audio codec. Probably you should be asking about TrueHD - that's what Atmos-enabled UHD's are encoded in. But TrueHD and DTS-HD MA cannot be passed over ARC, no matter the source. Atmos/DD+ can be passed over ARC - this is mainly useful for streaming video from the internal TV apps.

Quote:
And finally is the only option of having at the same time 4k HDR atmos movie from mkv is to buy for example oppo 203 or sony ubp-x700 and conect it to te receiver first?
In general, if you're talking about lossless audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD MA) and/or object-based audio (Atmos/DTS:X), then you'll need to run those sources into a receiver and not the TV. Any Atmos capabilities in the set are intended for streaming. Maybe it's possible to take a 4K mkv and reencode/remux it in precisely the right way that the set could pass it back over ARC, but it's going to be dodgy and totally dependent on the exact hardware and software involved. If you want a general purpose solution for playing 4K rips, you should probably be looking at running Kodi on a Shield TV connected to your receiver.
post #19490 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkan91 View Post
Hi everyone

I am happy owner of LG oled 65c7v i changed it from my 55c6v only to get atmos directly from tv and now I have problem and need your opinion.

Is this tv able to passthrough hdmi/optic cable 7.1 atmos or dts hd master audio sound to my denon x2300w receiver from usb disc ?

I know that limitation of hdmi ARC are limited to 6 chanel but maybe this tv is sending sound not using arc chanels but normaly like streaming sound from computer to receiver.

When using netflix atmos is streaming to my receiver so my setings should be correct.

I read a lot of topics and coments on internet talked with lg support and still did not get answer.

The only atmos sound which works from usb was official atmos test sound from dolby but I checked and its coded in 6 chanels not 8 like every hdr 4k movie nowadays.

If the atmos from netflix works does it mean they using only 6 chanels atmos and thats the reason its passing thru hdmi arc ?

And finally is the only option of having at the same time 4k HDR atmos movie from mkv is to buy for example oppo 203 or sony ubp-x700 and conect it to te receiver first ?

thanks for any answer ?
It isn't limited to 6 channels as such. ARC is limited to stereo PCM, DD 5.1 or DD+ (which can do atmos, although no idea exactly how many channels they handle) or DTS 5.1.

So no it can not do True HD or DTS MA from USB. If you play a video file it has to have a DD or DD+ or perhaps DTS audio track.

For HDMI sources, the TV does decode True HD and will re-encode it as DD+ for arc. I think (but am not sure) that it can also take a DTS MA and extract the DTS core and pass it through (so again lossy of course). This is ONLY from HDMI inputs, not from USB video files at this time. Maybe at some point they will enhance it to do the decode/re-encode for USB video files as well.

Streaming is low bitrate already so they would already be DD or DD+, never TrueHD or DTS MA and hence have no issue.

Len Sorensen

post #19491 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well they explicitly say that nothing they tested can pass 5.1 PCM, only 2.1 and for 5.1 is has to be compressed (either DTS or DD).
Which is what I thought to be true as well, except that it sure appears that I'm passing 5.1 PCM. Maybe certain soundbars/receivers can accept that in certain circumstances? I don't see how my results make sense otherwise. The soundbar doesn't have an LCD readout, only LED's that blink, so it's tough to get detailed information. I'll play around with it some more when my son is done playing on the PS4. I can set the Oppo (also ARC-connected) to 5.1 PCM output and see what happens, but I don't see why it would operate any differently than the PS4 in that regard.
post #19492 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think (but am not sure) that it can also take a DTS MA and extract the DTS core and pass it through (so again lossy of course).
It can definitely do this. I've tested it carefully with Kodi and my DTS capable but not DTS-HD capable soundbar.
post #19493 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll play around with it some more when my son is done playing on the PS4. I can set the Oppo (also ARC-connected) to 5.1 PCM output and see what happens, but I don't see why it would operate any differently than the PS4 in that regard.
Tested and it also seems to pass 5.1 PCM over ARC.

Set the Oppo 203's HDMI audio output to PCM. Set the Oppo speaker configuration to 5.1. It's connected to the C7, then ARC'd to the soundbar. C7 is set to Format=Auto. Cued up the Baby Driver UHD and verified that the TrueHD icon was lit on the LED. Checked the C7's info screen and it reported PCM audio input, so the Oppo is decoding as expected. No lights blinked on the bar, which is correct for PCM input. Listened. I absolutely had sound on the discrete rears and it was absolutely accurate to the locations of sounds on screen. So I don't think the bar is doing any upmixing, which it shouldn't be and doesn't even have an option for according to the many times I've scoured its manual.

Sure looks like 5.1 PCM via ARC to me, but I'm happy to try any other tests people dream up.

Cool.
audit13 likes this.
post #19494 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Yeah I’ll switch back to non PC input mode. I want the best experience. Just hate Game mode with a passion.

in my set HDR in PC Mode just look horrible wrong, tons of washed out colors.

for HDR Game is better to use a non PC Mode, like Game Input or HDMI Input
post #19495 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
Hey guys, can you guys recommend me a thin (not full motion) wall mount to compliment the C7's thinness? I'm looking for the thinnest (while remaining reliable) wall mount. This is my first TV mounting exp. ever.

Kind regards,

Max
The LG mount is the thinnest. Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2727.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	2345138  

LG 65C7p | Sony PS3 | Sony PS4 | Apple Ariport Express | Emotiva UMC-200 | Parasound HCA2003a | Parasound HCA1000a x 2 | Monster HTS3500 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 x 2 | NHT 1.5 | NHT VS2 | NHT Super Ones | SVS SB16 Ultra w/ sound isolation feet | Harmony Elite | Salamander Venice 237 | Sound Anchors Cone Coasters | Vibrapods
post #19496 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIII View Post
The LG mount is the thinnest.
I think I found thinner ones when I was researching, but the LG one is quite well-designed and not too expensive. I like mine very much. If you don't need huge range of motion or other special features I think it's a solid choice.
post #19497 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I think I found thinner ones when I was researching, but the LG one is quite well-designed and not too expensive. I like mine very much. If you don't need huge range of motion or other special features I think it's a solid choice.
I don't think that you can much closer unless it was hanging from fabric lol. It would have been nice if LG had spread the electronics out over the entire back of the TV then it could get really close to the wall.

LG 65C7p | Sony PS3 | Sony PS4 | Apple Ariport Express | Emotiva UMC-200 | Parasound HCA2003a | Parasound HCA1000a x 2 | Monster HTS3500 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 x 2 | NHT 1.5 | NHT VS2 | NHT Super Ones | SVS SB16 Ultra w/ sound isolation feet | Harmony Elite | Salamander Venice 237 | Sound Anchors Cone Coasters | Vibrapods
post #19498 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIII View Post
I don't think that you can much closer unless it was hanging from fabric lol. It would have been nice if LG had spread the electronics out over the entire back of the TV then it could get really close to the wall.
You've still got to allow for some room for the cables, perhaps in the future they could be facing straight down, have a channel for "side" facing connectors or even a swivel/pivot connecting strip.
post #19499 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I’m finally really happy with the picture quality and input lag on LG B7A and Xbox One X. The settings that worked for me are first enabling PC input mode on B7 and enabling PC RGB color space on Xbox One X. The results are incredible. The best part is that since you’re using PC input mode, you can still toggle to other picture presets outside of Game mode and your lag will be excellent at 21ms thx to being in PC Input mode. Here are some screens taken with my iPhone X that show how it looks on:

SDR game (Batman Origins) using PC input mode on LG B7A with PC RGB color space on Xbox One X:
https://i.imgur.com/HukLzDo.jpg

HDR game (AC Origins) using PC input mode on LG B7A with PC RGB color space on Xbox One X:
https://i.imgur.com/RW3TWOk.jpg

Looks incredible. I am using the isf Expert Bright Room setting for SDR content. Checked the Xbox one calibration app and I see all the right squares so it’s not clipping whites or blacks. On HDR I am using the HDR Standard preset and it’s not dim like game mode and still has 21ms of input lag. Best of both worlds! Finally happy!
My c7 is coming tomorrow and I primarily play games on pc/console. My understanding was that at least for SDR, renaming to PC input and using say dark ISF would yield the best pq and still give ~21ms input lag which sounds like the obvious choice?

This does sound kind of weird to me though... does using the pc input actually disable some things that harm the PQ?

For HDR, I also noticed from rtings that hdr becomes 8-bit (which is also mentioned in other posts). You mentioned you hate game mode. How do you feel about game mode + HDR vs pc + HDR? I vaguely recall HDR outside of game mode resulting in > 100ms input lag so that's really not acceptable.

Anyways, just curious about your opinion before I dive into it tomorrow.
post #19500 of 36881 Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copybeaver View Post
My c7 is coming tomorrow and I primarily play games on pc/console. My understanding was that at least for SDR, renaming to PC input and using say dark ISF would yield the best pq and still give ~21ms input lag which sounds like the obvious choice?

This does sound kind of weird to me though... does using the pc input actually disable some things that harm the PQ?

For HDR, I also noticed from rtings that hdr becomes 8-bit (which is also mentioned in other posts). You mentioned you hate game mode. How do you feel about game mode + HDR vs pc + HDR? I vaguely recall HDR outside of game mode resulting in > 100ms input lag so that's really not acceptable.

Anyways, just curious about your opinion before I dive into it tomorrow.
Game Mode + HDR is too dim for my taste. Unfortunately, PC and HDR is 8 bit only, so for now I’m trying HDR outside of Game Mode and outside of PC mode. Lag isn’t really that bad or even noticeable to me and it looks bright and pretty. As soon as I switch to game mode I get annoyed at how dim it all gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page