2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 663 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980427Likes

post #19861 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Serious question: Doesn't the streaming source need to be pushing a lossless signal? Otherwise it's kind of like tits on a bull?

Read again what I said about iTunes movies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19862 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Yes. I do have a pro Apple bias as I worked there for almost 25 years. In many ways, Apple is held to a higher standard which opens the door for all the Apple haters to crank up the whining. Thank you for providing me with a couple of examples of streamers that handle lossless Atmos. Serious question: Doesn't the streaming source need to be pushing a lossless signal? Otherwise it's kind of like tits on a bull? Hope you get my humor.
i can't speak to streaming services but a lot of us like to rip our libraries and stream locally. it's incredibly convenient and the popular apps like plex and kodi auto fetch a lot of cool metadata. being able to pass through TrueHD+atmos/DTS:X etc is very nice. if shield gets dolby vision i'll be happy. if atv4k gets lossless/audio pass-through i'll be happy. hopefully, one or the other happens before my shield tv return window which will be the one box to rule them all?
Datagg and sonoftumble like this.
post #19863 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently started using bt ear phones with my b7...Works great but when I am playing the Switch it won't let me use the Game picture mode when I have the BT ear phone on. Once I turn off the ear phones the game mode goes from gray (unable to select) to usable again.

Any ideas? Is there a reason I can't use BT with game mode?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19864 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
what are you guys using for wls headphones for late night watching?

i'm also thinking of experimenting with optical out to my chord mojo, then to my wired headphones..

think this would work? volume controlled by remote?

Wls? Are you asking about Bluetooth/wireless headphones? Almost any will do, I’ve personally been using the following:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...706&p_id=16219

They are probably heavier than more expensive Sony, etc models, but they last a long time and sound fairly good.
post #19865 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
The other ATMOS soundbars that "compete" with the SJ9, the Samsung HW-K850 and HW-K950 don't pass ATMOS over HDMI ARC. At least the SJ9 can do that. For the cost of the Samsung's, that is inexcusable, IMO.
I have an update on this; the issue is stemming from the way the TV is handling bitstream audio (Dolby specifically). I unhooked the soundbar and the same issues are occurring directly from the internal TV speakers (this happens from both my One X and PS4 Pro). I exchanged the TV for another B7 today and had the same issue. Can someone with a C7 attempt this through the TV speakers and get back to me? I’m going to exchange this Monday for a C7 to see if they handle audio differently, but if someone can save me the headache I’d really appreciate it. This is a deal breaker for me since I route my cable through the Xbox One and don’t want to use a second remote just to control volume. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Isles; 01-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #19866 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Wls? Are you asking about Bluetooth/wireless headphones? Almost any will do, I’ve personally been using the following:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...706&p_id=16219

They are probably heavier than more expensive Sony, etc models, but they last a long time and sound fairly good.
thanks...and sorry to sound naive, as i've never gone this route before, but what signal will most efficiently work from the LG Oled to a pair of wls cans...but i guess most are using bluetooth.
post #19867 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
thanks...and sorry to sound naive, as i've never gone this route before, but what signal will most efficiently work from the LG Oled to a pair of wls cans...but i guess most are using bluetooth.

You might get more replies if you say wireless and not wls. As far as “type” yes, Bluetooth are probably the most convenient.
post #19868 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post
I use a Luminoodle for ambient light on a Sony 940d. Using the set's USB it turns on, but won't turn off reliably and if it does, later spontaneously turns on. I had to use a separate control.

I am about to mount a new (to be delivered) C7P tomorrow - it would help to know if the Luminoodle-USB actually works consistently. Anyone try this yet?

Thanks.
I use one as well...and it reliably turns off when i power down the tv. Sometimes it will turn off immediately, and sometimes it takes a few minutes, supposedly because the set is staying "on" (even though the screen is dark) to run a screen refresher cycle. But I have never had the Luminoodle turn on spontaneously...
bbbobbb likes this.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #19869 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Random comment: using "Wide" color gamut for animation looks so colorful and beautiful. My kids and I are watching Teen Titans Go right now and on a whim I toggled it from Auto to Wide. I get that it's not accurate, but it really looks like eye candy in this case.
bigzee3 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #19870 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3760
^^^nothing wrong with going with what You like!
post #19871 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I absolutely respect your decision here, but fundamentally object to it.

The thing is there's this obsession in this thread (and others, mind) with pulling out detail from the shadows. Here's the thing: Some of that detail is simply not MEANT to be seen. For example, I play video games. Fired up Resident Evil Revelations 2 this evening for the first time, and - like many games - it asks me to look at three objects on screen and adjust the brightness to make sure the one on the left is invisible, the middle one is "slightly visible," and the right one is "visible."

Now, some people may think, when adjusted "correctly," that some details are lost in the darkness. But this is on PURPOSE. If you "cheat" the game in this case, and tweak the brightness up so the left object is visible, yes - you can absolutely see more in the game, but it absolutely also compromises the "objective" here. If you tweak the brightness in any game, you can see more, find that enemy hiding in the corner of the dark room etc. But it comes at a cost. A lot of what is perceived as black crush is really just as the director intended - dark areas of the scene.

To each his own, of course. There are occasions where details that "likely" should be visible are hidden, and that's annoying. But brightness set to 62? AW HELL NA! There's far less point to an OLED when your blacks are grey.
This reminds me of a shot I saw in Jessica Jones. I watched it on my bedroom TV and I could very easily see a cameraman crouching in the shadows. I went to show the scene to my wife on the OLED TV and the shadows were solid black and I could not see the cameraman crouching. I was like, "I swear I saw it", but I could only see it in the bedroom TV.
KevinSartori and sonoftumble like this.
post #19872 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
The one USB port is blue I thought that signifies a 1A standard USB 3 port?
During a verbal conversation, they told me the USB was .5A. Here is what LG sent me in response to an email question:

Reply to Your Inquiry

Dear Louie,

Thank you for contacting LG Email Services.

You are a valued customer and I recognize the inconvenience you may have experienced with your LG product. I am more than happy to assist you today.

I understand that you are would like to use USB function of the OLED65B7A TV to plug in a string of LED lights and use the port to power up the device. In response to this concern, the USB function of this unit is only designed for accessing movies, photos, and audio files stored from USB flash devices such as a USB flash drive or external Hard Drive. It is not recommended to use the USB port for powering or charging purposes as it is not a supported function.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding on this. We wish that you would be able to enjoy your LG product to its full potential and we would like to have the issue resolved at the soonest possible time.

I hope this information helps. Please inform us how we can provide additional support via Email, Live Chat or by calling the LG Customer Service Toll Free number at 800-243-0000. For repair service, you may visit this link: https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair...chedule-repair

Thank you for choosing LG. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Kind regards,
Jasmine

Reply Options:

Reply by Live Chat

Click here to chat live with LG Customer Service

(Weekdays, 8am-8pm CST)

Original Customer Inquiry

Received Date : 01/07/2018 16:28 43

The type of inquiry : lg.com Support

Product/Model No. :

I would like to plug in a back light string of LED lights into the USB port. The lights require 1A. Will the TV USB port provide this without a problem.
post #19873 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the Luminoodle.....but how does the TV turn on an external adaptor? I am using an ETec (or similar name) remote right now, but that is RF.
The TV does not turn on the USB converter. It is always on. The LED light strip remote turns the lights on and off. I just thought of something. I bet you have the all white Luminoodle with no remote. I have the one with a remote and various color options.

Last edited by aftontrix2; 01-18-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #19874 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
This reminds me of a shot I saw in Jessica Jones. I watched it on my bedroom TV and I could very easily see a cameraman crouching in the shadows. I went to show the scene to my wife on the OLED TV and the shadows were solid black and I could not see the cameraman crouching. I was like, "I swear I saw it", but I could only see it in the bedroom TV.
I believe it, and that's a great example of why artificially brightening the image is just not objectively not a good idea. You will see things that are simply not supposed to be seen.
post #19875 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The LG OLEDs seem to perform HDR10 tone mapping based upon the Max Luminance value in the HDR metadata (as previously reported by others in this forum). Even though this value represents the mastering display's capabilities. The MaxCLL metadata value represents the highest brightness reached in the disc.

The new Blade Runner 2049 UHD disc (USA version) has HDR10 metadata with Max Luminance at 10,000 nits and MaxCLL at 181 nits. That is a huge difference if LG adjusts tone mapping based on the 10,000 nit value instead of the 181 nits maximum brightness level.

I used an HDfury Vertex 4k video processor to capture the HDR10 metadata and to replace the 10,000 nit Max Luminance value with 1000 nits instead before the signal is sent to my LG B7A. All other HDR10 metadata was sent unchanged.

It made a very significant impact on the overall brightness of the picture, brighter highlights, and more detail in dark scenes.

I think it is a mistake on LG's part to be tone mapping based on whether a disc is mastered at 1000, 1100, 4000, and now even 10000 nits. Those values don't represent the highest brightness present in the content; only the capabilities of the mastering display used.
Please tell LG. Maybe they'll listen

http://www.lg.com/us/support/chat-and-email-information

(Don't bother with chat.)
samovies10 likes this.
post #19876 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
Random comment: using "Wide" color gamut for animation looks so colorful and beautiful. My kids and I are watching Teen Titans Go right now and on a whim I toggled it from Auto to Wide. I get that it's not accurate, but it really looks like eye candy in this case.
I tried the same thing with Despicable me 2. Don't think it should really matter for animation because its animation after all.
post #19877 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftontrix2 View Post
During a verbal conversation, they told me the USB was .5A. Here is what LG sent me in response to an email question:

Reply to Your Inquiry

Dear Louie,

Thank you for contacting LG Email Services.

You are a valued customer and I recognize the inconvenience you may have experienced with your LG product. I am more than happy to assist you today.

I understand that you are would like to use USB function of the OLED65B7A TV to plug in a string of LED lights and use the port to power up the device. In response to this concern, the USB function of this unit is only designed for accessing movies, photos, and audio files stored from USB flash devices such as a USB flash drive or external Hard Drive. It is not recommended to use the USB port for powering or charging purposes as it is not a supported function.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding on this. We wish that you would be able to enjoy your LG product to its full potential and we would like to have the issue resolved at the soonest possible time.

I hope this information helps. Please inform us how we can provide additional support via Email, Live Chat or by calling the LG Customer Service Toll Free number at 800-243-0000. For repair service, you may visit this link: https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair...chedule-repair

Thank you for choosing LG. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Kind regards,
Jasmine

Reply Options:

Reply by Live Chat

Click here to chat live with LG Customer Service

(Weekdays, 8am-8pm CST)

Original Customer Inquiry

Received Date : 01/07/2018 16:28 43

The type of inquiry : lg.com Support

Product/Model No. :

I would like to plug in a back light string of LED lights into the USB port. The lights require 1A. Will the TV USB port provide this without a problem.
Just finished an online chat with a MEDIALIGHT representative (USB powered bias lights). He stated that their products are designed to operate well under the stated limitations of USB 2.0 and that both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports must be manufactured to a certain specification. He remarked that the opinion of a non technical customer service rep may not be that accurate.
post #19878 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikescream View Post
Recently started using bt ear phones with my b7...Works great but when I am playing the Switch it won't let me use the Game picture mode when I have the BT ear phone on. Once I turn off the ear phones the game mode goes from gray (unable to select) to usable again.

Any ideas? Is there a reason I can't use BT with game mode?

thanks in advance
There is no fix for the Bluetooth Headphones/Game Mode problem. I bought a Sennheiser RS185 to address it. The lack of audio outs is the only frustrating thing about these TVs.
post #19879 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcustom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzee3 View Post
I tried the same thing with Despicable me 2. Don't think it should really matter for animation because its animation after all.
I want to see my cartoons exactly as the creator intended!
bigzee3 likes this.
post #19880 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryXN View Post
Got it. Yea, I don't have absolute control of my room (living room with some windows and adjacent to a bright dining room, and there is some sort of light on about 90% of the time we're using the TV), so it sounds like I should set gamma to 2.2.

I knocked Brightness back down to 50. I think even I turned most of the lights off and put my face to the screen, 19 and below didn't flash. Pushing it to the 56 range had 16 and below stay black while 17 and higher flash. I'll just keep it as is, along with gamma at 2.2. I also put OLED at around 50 (I put it at 35 for ISF Dark). I was just trying to reconcile how using the test patterns had me pushing the settings higher than recommended.

I have minor banding and yellow tint on the left side, but I got my TV in Nov and I don't want to further gamble with the panel lottery. It looks great most of the time still.
With my OLED and gamma 2.2 l settle with brighness 53, the blacks remains dark and i can see the 17 bar flash quite clear.

l also use gamma 2.2 in a dark room as l watch a lot o web based movies(like netflix) and games, they are all proper displayed with gamma 2.2
post #19881 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftontrix2 View Post
The TV does not turn on the USB converter. It is always on. The LED light strip remote turns the lights on and off. I just thought of something. I bet you have the all white Luminoodle with no remote. I have the one with a remote and various color options.
This is a bit of a LOL. My existing are the older plain white ones. I bought two new ones for new TVs that have the remote. I forgot about them. I guess I will experiment and try and check the current draw.

I missed the delivery so I have another day to plan and hopefully some test time before I hang it. Thanks again.

Partying my new XBR75-X940D, soon new Denon X4200 AVR
post #19882 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Biased (but nice)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
You chatted with me, and I need to post an important correction. All of our 5v lights work under the limits of USB 3.0. Our single strip, eclipse and twin strip work under the limits of USB 2.0 (at about 250mA or below), but our Quad requires 800mA, so you'd need USB 3.0 for the quad. We advertise all of our products as USB 3.0 just to eliminate this kind of confusion.

These measurements are taken with the dimmer at about 60%. The amperage is lower at 100% (contrary to what logic would dictate, because this uses a PWM dimmer rather than a potentiometer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerboy View Post
Just finished an online chat with a MEDIALIGHT representative (USB powered bias lights). He stated that their products are designed to operate well under the stated limitations of USB 2.0 and that both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports must be manufactured to a certain specification. He remarked that the opinion of a non technical customer service rep may not be that accurate.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD HDR Benchmark.
Maker of The ISF-certified MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
post #19883 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
I use one as well...and it reliably turns off when i power down the tv. Sometimes it will turn off immediately, and sometimes it takes a few minutes, supposedly because the set is staying "on" (even though the screen is dark) to run a screen refresher cycle. But I have never had the Luminoodle turn on spontaneously...

Can confirm: 55" B7 here with 118" Luminoodle (white only, no colors) and the remote kit add-on. Works perfectly: on with the TV on, off with the TV off except for the occasional screen cycling then it turns off.

Regardless, the remote is cool and I do keep it at the absolute lowest setting. If I don't want to wait for the screen cycle I can use the remote to turn it completely off...
post #19884 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
What do TV's look like in slooooow motion?

Check out this really cool video. If you've seen it already - well then good for you.

Spruce Goose likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #19885 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Thinking about buying a 65B7A for my 7.2.4 home theater. Any problems or issues I should be aware of?
Datagg and Cam1977 like this.

Licence to Kill
post #19886 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^yeah deciding what movie to watch first! In all seriousness baring any bad uniformity you should be good to go!
post #19887 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Thinking about buying a 65B7A for my 7.2.4 home theater. Any problems or issues I should be aware of?
You're not gonna find a better TV for the price. Period. You'll love it.
mjwagner, william06 and Datagg like this.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
post #19888 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM

I've read posts about slides and burn in. Thought those were only plasma concerns. I got rid of my Panasonic plasma because I got tired of worrying every time I gamed or left an image on the screen for a few minutes.
Are these really issues with OLED?

Licence to Kill
post #19889 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^well oleds are emmisive just like plasma, so yes their can be a risk when leaving static content for hours on end. However the oled does come with a comp cycle, kind of a self correcting measure to help mitigate it, just to be clear it does not prevent IR/BI.

Last edited by Cam1977; 01-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.
post #19890 of 36418 Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^^^well oleds are emmisive just like plasma, so yes their can be a risk when leaving static content for hours on end. However the oled does come with a comp cycle, kind of a self correcting measure to help mitigate it, just to be clear it does not prevent IR/BI.
Thank you for the honest reply.
I'm not going to deal with having to babysit another tv like I did that plasma. I'm happy with my 4k LCD for now.
Cam1977 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page