2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 665 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980361Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19921 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Member
 
blaket81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
We have active hdr which is similar to hdr+
Yes, the dynamic contrast setting, but it's not going to be as good as "native" dynamic metadata.
barth2 likes this.
blaket81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19922 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,342
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
I doubt we will need or get hdr+ Hdr10 with these perform almost identically with DV because of active hdr...if you want hdr+ then this ain't the right set...now we are supposed to get Technicolor HDR...that's more enticing imo.
Onedark1 likes this.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #19923 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Member
 
avsninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by macieqq View Post
How can you reduce the brightness of the subtitles (Netflix app)? I had so my trouble watching anything in a totally dark room. These subtitles were burning my eyes. Can't say it was comfortable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Yes, subtitles harm the eyes... I have tried reducing Oled light and Brightness, but then the picture is not as good. I do not know how to resolve this compromise
besides changing the subtitle appearance, i found bias lighting really helped with eye strain in general with and without subtitles. this is the first time i've ever used bias lighting behind a tv (never even heard of it until this thread, actually) but it has helped so much. that's what all the luminoodle talk was about the past few pages.

i used 2x of the "TV LED Light Strip lights Purewhite JACKYLED USB Plug DC 5V 6.6ft Bias Lighting 6000k Switch Button Control Waterproof Backlight Kit for Monitor Cabinet Sideboard Wardrobe " on amazon. $5.80 per 6 ft after coupon on the page. 2 strips almost makes a full rectangle around the back
Deckard71 likes this.
avsninja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19924 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentreza View Post
What brightness and OLED light is everyone using for Dolby vision content? I keep hearing how Dolby vision is supposed to so much better than hdr but I've yet to experience it .

I've tried cinema home with brightness at 49 and the film grain really sticks out for movies, cinema on the other hand looked more accurate but really dim. Does messing with the OLED light or dynamic contrast effect how Dolby vision is supposed to function?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Cinema, rather than Cinema Home, is what most recommend. I use all the default settings except for contrast, which I have lowered to 95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentreza View Post
So it doesn't look too dim to you compared to hdr 10? I've yet to try a Dolby vision uhd disk but Netflix and vudu seem too dark
No. Using 'Cinema' mode, DV content looks stunning. You said you were using 'Cinema Home'. Have you tried using 'Cinema'?
robnalex is offline  
post #19925 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Member
 
agentreza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
No. Using 'Cinema' mode, DV content looks stunning. You said you were using 'Cinema Home'. Have you tried using 'Cinema'?
Yes, unfortunately, looked a little dark. I guess I spoiled myself watching hdr content in a dark room. I'll see if messing with the oled light does anything, didn't want to mess with the default stuff since it's supposed to adjust dynamically.
agentreza is offline  
post #19926 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
adcustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentreza View Post
Yes, unfortunately, looked a little dark. I guess I spoiled myself watching hdr content in a dark room. I'll see if messing with the oled light does anything, didn't want to mess with the default stuff since it's supposed to adjust dynamically.
^ yeah, OLED light can be adjusted in any mode however you prefer. I have it bumped up for Dobly Vision Cinema as 50 was a bit too low for my room.

LG OLED55C7P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-203 • Xbox One X • PS4 Pro
adcustom is offline  
post #19927 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
maveric23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by macieqq View Post
How can you reduce the brightness of the subtitles (Netflix app)? I had so my trouble watching anything in a totally dark room. These subtitles were burning my eyes. Can't say it was comfortable...
Install bias lighting.

============================
Grouchy Golf
maveric23 is offline  
post #19928 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomcrown1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post
Hello fellow C7 owners, I apologize if this has already been discussed, I tried a search and it came up empty. Any chance our sets are ever likely to get an HDR10+ update? I feel it is silly if we don't get one as we already have Dolby Vision and that cost LG money where as giving us HDR10+ would be free (fee wise anyway).


I read an article that stated the 2017 will get HDR10+. Plus if I remember correctly someone who has indicated they work for LG stated that the update will come in February along with technicolor HDR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
tomcrown1 is offline  
post #19929 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,422
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 659
ARC lip sync issue question

I have been mostly following PQ related conversations and recall when I got my C7 that ARC was awful with lip sync to my Denon more for external inputs than TV apps. Has this been resolved? I am thinking about getting a ATV 4K to tinker with, but since my AVR does not pass DV I would have to go direct to the LG then ARC back to my Denon. I am not sure I want to bother if I will be dealing with lip sync issues.

Thanks!

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #19930 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,351
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I read an article that stated the 2017 will get HDR10+. Plus if I remember correctly someone who has indicated they work for LG stated that the update will come in February along with technicolor HDR
2017 models are still current, that should not be an issue.......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #19931 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I read an article that stated the 2017 will get HDR10+. Plus if I remember correctly someone who has indicated they work for LG stated that the update will come in February along with technicolor HDR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I vaguely remember sonoftumble posted a picture showing what LG supports or will support and "HDR Pro" was one of the items. I don't know if "HDR Pro" is HDR10+ or what they call their active HDR.

In any event, LG should support it if it's supported by content producers. HDR10+ is open standard with no license fee, so it has that going for it. Active HDR is basically fake-it-till-you-make-it and no substitute for the real thing. Dolby Vision is no substitute when given content is HDR only.
barth2 is offline  
post #19932 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Member
 
wowzors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I read an article that stated the 2017 will get HDR10+. Plus if I remember correctly someone who has indicated they work for LG stated that the update will come in February along with technicolor HDR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice but Sony has made some statements such as that before and then never did anything.
wowzors is offline  
post #19933 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I read an article that stated the 2017 will get HDR10+. Plus if I remember correctly someone who has indicated they work for LG stated that the update will come in February along with technicolor HDR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


As of now HDR10+ is an Amazon and Samsung only format. While it might be “open” no one else supports it and no studios have signed up for it.

HDR10+ should just die. It offers nothing not supported by other standards and content providers can’t master well in all possible formats so we should stick to as few as possible—unless of course something new has a tangible technological breakthrough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mroot, sonoftumble and Oil of OLED like this.
rsonnens is offline  
post #19934 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
XBR11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
B7 vs C7

I had a B7 for 6 weeks. Went back to BB, and exchanged it (plus $) to go up to a C7. The B7 had a yellow-tint left vertical band on about 1/5 of the screen. Made the grass in football games look yellow-green. And I kinda of wanted to try the sound out on C7.

So now I have a C7.

I had thought the differences were supposed to be minor. Different stand, different border, sound.

These are my observations.

I do like the C7's all black border (versus the B7's chrome), but is it worth $200? Nope.

The stand IS different. Liked the stand on the B7 more. It was heavier (as I remember), flat on the bottom (whereas the C7 stand sits on its two edges), and it lifted the tv like .5 inch higher. With the B7 I could put my 4k player under the tv's bottom left edge. What with the C7 being shorter, I can't do that any more. Might have to get a TV riser.

The C7 has a "cable organizer" on the back that the B7 didn't. Not saying that it is worth anything.

The C7 has a feature where it will measure your room's acoustics and compensate for them and give you some choices about that compensation. Uses the magic wand as the measuring microphone. If this feature was in the B7 I never saw it. Really doubt it was there.

The C7 does have better sound. Not saying it is great. We had been using a soundbar with the B7, and now with the C7 we think we can ditch the soundbar. Makes me less crazy wondering if the lipsync between the tv and the soundbar was off again. Plus our Harmony remote had numerous issues with turning the soundbar on and off. With no soundbar, no harmony issues.

The C7 has a different location of inputs than did the B7. I don't really care about this.

The BB salesman for the return/exchange/upgrade had told me that the C7 was 25% brighter than the B7. I didn't believe him. I think he might have been comparing manufacturer specs between the C7 and the B6. He said it was a feature that they couldn't advertise because of trade agreement with Sony. Still don't believe him.

Now here is the crazy thing. My C7's picture looks a lot better than my B7 did. My wife, who didn't even notice the yellow tint on the B7, and who doesn't 'find and see' minor imperfections like I do first thing, noticed and commented on the big difference, unprompted. She asked if the new TV was 3D. She said the picture was a lot better than the B7 (and she really liked the B7 and thought I was crazy to return it). On the B7 it seemed like ABL was too sensitive. Don't know about that. But I do know that certain news casts I watch where one anchor would look washed out, and the next fine, now looks fine all the time.

I know that no reviewer has measured any difference in the PQ between the B7, so it is just my opinion, but the C7 does look a lot better than on the B7.

If I come across any other differences, I will come back and post them.
charlesrshell and gossamer88 like this.

_______________________________________________
[Listen Up - what does that audio or bass Acronym mean?! Click here to read.]
[See Here - what does that video Acronym mean?! Click here to read.]
XBR11 is offline  
post #19935 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Member
 
dmiannay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good day, All,

I recently purchased a 65" C7 based on a host of positive reviews in numerous online locations. After having it for two days now, my wife is not happy with the soap opera effect she sees. I checked TruMotion and it was off.

I searched this thread for "soap opera effect" and came up with a host of posts with a lot of conflicting information, and a general negative sense that this can NOT be corrected on the C7. It may be impossible to get a consensus here, but I'd like to try.

I have an Apple TV 4K unit connected through a new Yamaha RX-V383 Receiver via high speed HDMI cables. HDR is enabled at 4.2.2 on the ATV4K unit. Watching the TV Show "Taken" in full HD using the Apple Netflix app and, to me, it looks spectacular. But, to my wife it looks like a soap opera. She commented, "Maybe it's just because it is so clear.", but I'm not sure that's it.

Can anyone offer suggestions, or do I need to bring this back and try another manufacturer's model? And... I really do appreciate your time.

Doug
dmiannay is offline  
post #19936 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiannay View Post
Good day, All,

I recently purchased a 65" C7 based on a host of positive reviews in numerous online locations. After having it for two days now, my wife is not happy with the soap opera effect she sees. I checked TruMotion and it was off.

I searched this thread for "soap opera effect" and came up with a host of posts with a lot of conflicting information, and a general negative sense that this can NOT be corrected on the C7. It may be impossible to get a consensus here, but I'd like to try.

I have an Apple TV 4K unit connected through a new Yamaha RX-V383 Receiver via high speed HDMI cables. HDR is enabled at 4.2.2 on the ATV4K unit. Watching the TV Show "Taken" in full HD using the Apple Netflix app and, to me, it looks spectacular. But, to my wife it looks like a soap opera. She commented, "Maybe it's just because it is so clear.", but I'm not sure that's it.

Can anyone offer suggestions, or do I need to bring this back and try another manufacturer's model? And... I really do appreciate your time.

Doug
Seems strange this as I do not see any SOE with TruMotion Off or even with it on User with De-Judder at 3 and De-Blur at 10.
When my B7 arrived most picture modes had TruMotion set to either Clear or Smooth. Are you sure that you have turned TruMotion Off for ALL picture modes ?

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #19937 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ideal receiver/oled wiring - sync issues

Hello,

I'm a bit new to this-- and apologize if this question has been asked before. I have a Oled LG C7 65" TV and am running a ARC hdmi 2.0 to my Denon AVR X4300. I have a 7.1.2 set-up with my Denon. Just installed 2 height speakers for atmos the other day. I got around to testing atmos last night and for some reason I am getting a slightly off sync issue when the receiver is in Atmos mode. I was testing it with an atmos enabled movie on a Sony UHD bluray player. My wiring is as follows: I have the UHD Sony Bluray, a PC, a PS4 Pro and my Denon receiver plugged into my TV HDMIs. (My Receiver is in the HDMI 2 Arc input.) Any thoughts on whey I might be getting the sync issues? Every other mode seems to play fine but the Atmos mode has the delay. Should I be writing my components through the receiver instead of the TV?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, and guidance-- if there is a better way to be wiring this, I am all ears.

Tom
TVel4 is offline  
post #19938 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
QN52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVel4 View Post
Hello,

I'm a bit new to this-- and apologize if this question has been asked before. I have a Oled LG C7 65" TV and am running a ARC hdmi 2.0 to my Denon AVR X4300. I have a 7.1.2 set-up with my Denon. Just installed 2 height speakers for atmos the other day. I got around to testing atmos last night and for some reason I am getting a slightly off sync issue when the receiver is in Atmos mode. I was testing it with an atmos enabled movie on a Sony UHD bluray player. My wiring is as follows: I have the UHD Sony Bluray, a PC, a PS4 Pro and my Denon receiver plugged into my TV HDMIs. (My Receiver is in the HDMI 2 Arc input.) Any thoughts on whey I might be getting the sync issues? Every other mode seems to play fine but the Atmos mode has the delay. Should I be writing my components through the receiver instead of the TV?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, and guidance-- if there is a better way to be wiring this, I am all ears.

Tom
Yes - put all items into HDMI ports on the Denon and then have 1 HDMI cable from Denon to the TV.
QN52 is offline  
post #19939 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
MackGuyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiannay View Post
I searched this thread for "soap opera effect" and came up with a host of posts with a lot of conflicting information, and a general negative sense that this can NOT be corrected on the C7. It may be impossible to get a consensus here, but I'd like to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Seems strange this as I do not see any SOE with TruMotion Off or even with it on User with De-Judder at 3 and De-Blur at 10.
When my B7 arrived most picture modes had TruMotion set to either Clear or Smooth. Are you sure that you have turned TruMotion Off for ALL picture modes ?
I'm no expert, but personally despise the SOE. I think the consensus isn't that it can't be corrected; it's that you either have a bit of the SOE or some judder. There doesn't seem to be a perfect setting for all material. For those of us coming from nice plasma or LCD sets, it's been a somewhat disappointing experience.

I find that De-Blur has to be all the way off to avoid the SOE, and De-Judder needs to be somewhere in the 2-3 range. Even there, certain pan speeds of video material (like Netflix shows) have pretty awful judder artifacts. 24p material from my disc library looks great with everything off (i.e. User and 0, 0), or De-Judder no higher than 2 IMHO.

Also, as Alex says, it has to be adjusted/turned off for each picture mode. I remember my first DV UHD disc - I couldn't believe how awful the SOE was until I realized that I needed to adjust these settings as well. I ended up watching the first five minutes all over again...

My wife, btw, actually likes the SOE I showed her the difference a few weeks ago and she gets it now, so there's there's hope for her, yet.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
MackGuyver is offline  
post #19940 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Optical splitter

Okay, I'm tired of only having one optical out — I need one for my cheap Vizio 2.1 soundbar and another for Sennheiser RF headphones. Can anyone recommend an optical splitter? Do big box stores sell them? I'd love to pick it up today rather than buy online.
Oil of OLED is offline  
post #19941 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
As of now HDR10+ is an Amazon and Samsung only format. While it might be “open” no one else supports it and no studios have signed up for it.

HDR10+ should just die. It offers nothing not supported by other standards and content providers can’t master well in all possible formats so we should stick to as few as possible—unless of course something new has a tangible technological breakthrough.
Well HDR10+ is an Amazon, Samsung, Panasonic, Fox and WB format.

So I would say a couple of studios have signed up. Not sure what they are doing with it, but they signed up.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #19942 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,638
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiannay View Post
Good day, All,

I recently purchased a 65" C7 based on a host of positive reviews in numerous online locations. After having it for two days now, my wife is not happy with the soap opera effect she sees. I checked TruMotion and it was off.

I searched this thread for "soap opera effect" and came up with a host of posts with a lot of conflicting information, and a general negative sense that this can NOT be corrected on the C7. It may be impossible to get a consensus here, but I'd like to try.

I have an Apple TV 4K unit connected through a new Yamaha RX-V383 Receiver via high speed HDMI cables. HDR is enabled at 4.2.2 on the ATV4K unit. Watching the TV Show "Taken" in full HD using the Apple Netflix app and, to me, it looks spectacular. But, to my wife it looks like a soap opera. She commented, "Maybe it's just because it is so clear.", but I'm not sure that's it.

Can anyone offer suggestions, or do I need to bring this back and try another manufacturer's model? And... I really do appreciate your time.

Doug
There is absolutely no soap-opera effect on the C7 with Tru-Motion off.
adcustom and Oil of OLED like this.
WilliamG is online now  
post #19943 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well HDR10+ is an Amazon, Samsung, Panasonic, Fox and WB format.

So I would say a couple of studios have signed up. Not sure what they are doing with it, but they signed up.


You can cross Fox off that list as soon as the Disney deal goes through. Regardless I hope it fails because it is a format that provides no advantage over anything that is already out there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rsonnens is offline  
post #19944 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
I had a B7 for 6 weeks. Went back to BB, and exchanged it (plus $) to go up to a C7. The B7 had a yellow-tint left vertical band on about 1/5 of the screen. Made the grass in football games look yellow-green. And I kinda of wanted to try the sound out on C7.

So now I have a C7.

I had thought the differences were supposed to be minor. Different stand, different border, sound.

These are my observations.

I do like the C7's all black border (versus the B7's chrome), but is it worth $200? Nope.

The stand IS different. Liked the stand on the B7 more. It was heavier (as I remember), flat on the bottom (whereas the C7 stand sits on its two edges), and it lifted the tv like .5 inch higher. With the B7 I could put my 4k player under the tv's bottom left edge. What with the C7 being shorter, I can't do that any more. Might have to get a TV riser.

The C7 has a "cable organizer" on the back that the B7 didn't. Not saying that it is worth anything.

The C7 has a feature where it will measure your room's acoustics and compensate for them and give you some choices about that compensation. Uses the magic wand as the measuring microphone. If this feature was in the B7 I never saw it. Really doubt it was there.

The C7 does have better sound. Not saying it is great. We had been using a soundbar with the B7, and now with the C7 we think we can ditch the soundbar. Makes me less crazy wondering if the lipsync between the tv and the soundbar was off again. Plus our Harmony remote had numerous issues with turning the soundbar on and off. With no soundbar, no harmony issues.

The C7 has a different location of inputs than did the B7. I don't really care about this.

The BB salesman for the return/exchange/upgrade had told me that the C7 was 25% brighter than the B7. I didn't believe him. I think he might have been comparing manufacturer specs between the C7 and the B6. He said it was a feature that they couldn't advertise because of trade agreement with Sony. Still don't believe him.

Now here is the crazy thing. My C7's picture looks a lot better than my B7 did. My wife, who didn't even notice the yellow tint on the B7, and who doesn't 'find and see' minor imperfections like I do first thing, noticed and commented on the big difference, unprompted. She asked if the new TV was 3D. She said the picture was a lot better than the B7 (and she really liked the B7 and thought I was crazy to return it). On the B7 it seemed like ABL was too sensitive. Don't know about that. But I do know that certain news casts I watch where one anchor would look washed out, and the next fine, now looks fine all the time.

I know that no reviewer has measured any difference in the PQ between the B7, so it is just my opinion, but the C7 does look a lot better than on the B7.

If I come across any other differences, I will come back and post them.
Here in Canada, the C7P was the Best Buy exclusive and everyone else had the B7P. I purchased the C7P from Best Buy and after going through 4 of them, yes 4, due to the yellow tint (2 on the left side, one on the bottom, and one on the top and left side) I returned it to Best Buy and went to my local retailers and ended up with the B7P. There was absolutely no difference in price here between the B7P and C7P. My B7 is flawless. No noticeable bands and no tint issue. As for picture quality, I'm very much a videophile and notice the slight imperfections, so for the picture quality between the two, there is absolutely no difference that I can see. By any chance did you have the B7A? As from my understanding the B7P and C7P are the same price everywhere and really there is no difference between the two, except for the stand, the slim silver bezel, and placements of a couple connections. They both operate the same, have the same features, same pq, same audio quality, with Atmos. I believe there is more difference between the B7A though and the P series.
mroot likes this.
mark_42 is offline  
post #19945 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Culpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by macieqq View Post
How can you reduce the brightness of the subtitles (Netflix app)? I had so my trouble watching anything in a totally dark room. These subtitles were burning my eyes. Can't say it was comfortable...
Agreed -- particularly bad with HDR/DV. For me, setting the text to black and the background to semi-transparent white did the trick. Huge improvement. Unfortunately, that combination does not seem to be available for the built in video player.
Culpepper is offline  
post #19946 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Culpepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I have been mostly following PQ related conversations and recall when I got my C7 that ARC was awful with lip sync to my Denon more for external inputs than TV apps. Has this been resolved? I am thinking about getting a ATV 4K to tinker with, but since my AVR does not pass DV I would have to go direct to the LG then ARC back to my Denon. I am not sure I want to bother if I will be dealing with lip sync issues.

Thanks!
I just hooked up a new Denon AVR-X4400 to my B7 with HDMI/ARC and so far, no lip sync issues at all.
Culpepper is offline  
post #19947 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Member
 
dmiannay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Seems strange this as I do not see any SOE with TruMotion Off or even with it on User with De-Judder at 3 and De-Blur at 10.

When my B7 arrived most picture modes had TruMotion set to either Clear or Smooth. Are you sure that you have turned TruMotion Off for ALL picture modes ?


Not sure it is turned off for all picture modes. But it was off for the mode I had selected when watching Netflix. I have since changed to De-Judder at 4 and De-Blur at 10 and it is still a problem for my wife, but less so. For her, TruMotion off was worse. I know this sounds backwards, but she sees what she sees.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug
Current OLED: LG C7 65"
Current PJ: Optoma HD72
Current Screen: Carada 92" 16x9
dmiannay is offline  
post #19948 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Member
 
dmiannay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
I'm no expert, but personally despise the SOE. I think the consensus isn't that it can't be corrected; it's that you either have a bit of the SOE or some judder. There doesn't seem to be a perfect setting for all material. For those of us coming from nice plasma or LCD sets, it's been a somewhat disappointing experience.



I find that De-Blur has to be all the way off to avoid the SOE, and De-Judder needs to be somewhere in the 2-3 range. Even there, certain pan speeds of video material (like Netflix shows) have pretty awful judder artifacts. 24p material from my disc library looks great with everything off (i.e. User and 0, 0), or De-Judder no higher than 2 IMHO.



...


My wife, btw, actually likes the SOE I showed her the difference a few weeks ago and she gets it now, so there's there's hope for her, yet.

Thanks for your comments, Mack. I will try turning De-Blur off completely and see how that works.

At the end of the day, technology is headed in this direction so my wife may just need to get used to this effect. There’s hope!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug
Current OLED: LG C7 65"
Current PJ: Optoma HD72
Current Screen: Carada 92" 16x9
dmiannay is offline  
post #19949 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I'm convinced that a lot of opinions about motion processing are based on individual physiology. At a fundamental level, we're just not all seeing the same thing. And then there's some personal preference and familiarity on top that. If you can find some motion settings that are at least "not bad", your wife will probably eventually come around to them looking "pretty good".
tppytel is offline  
post #19950 of 36269 Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Motion is definitely subjective in nature from person to person. The best of both worlds is to find a happy medium for all, or worse case scenario is to kick the ones out who don't seem to want to cooperate.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
Datagg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off