2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 667 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980307Likes

post #19981 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentreza View Post
So it doesn't look too dim to you compared to hdr 10? I've yet to try a Dolby vision uhd disk but Netflix and vudu seem too dark
(This suggestion is for streaming Dolby Vision only, Dolby Vision over HDMI uses a heavier bitrate and should use the default picture mode setting untouched to avoid overworking the DV processor)

Try Godzilla and Bright on Netflix with these brightness settings using the latest LG 7 4.xxxx firmware to test this out. This is my preferred DV top setting for streaming and discs.

In my opinion, this performance provides full visual details of black level performance while black bars (in Bright for instance) are separated in black level from the in-picture black levels. The movie Bright in the scene where they discover the Elf with the magic Wand, is a fantastic demonstration of how dynamic Dolby Vision performance from black to bright objects (on OLED) in the same frame.

For VUDU, give Spiderman Homecoming a spin with this settings also

See how you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	2348540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	976.5 KB
ID:	2348542  

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-21-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19982 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden View Post
Take the Dale Carnegie course How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.

I had two Kuro Plasmas for 8 years. Don't watch news for hours at a time, don't game. Neither ever had even the slightest hint of burning. Just got a C7P - I am in no fear....as, again, I don't watch Fox (barf), CNN or even MSNBC much nor game. Your life may be different - but as Dale says worrying can literally kill you and 90% of all things we worry about never happen.

Enjoy.
I agree with you, although I have never watched CNN, or MSNBC, (barf, barf) in my life and never will.
mroot, bbbobbb, dmiannay and 2 others like this.
post #19983 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Owners of B7 and C7,

Can someone measure the distance ( in inches ) from the BOTTOM of the TV to the first ( lower) set of holes for the VESA 300X200 connections?
I have the pdf of the manual for the TV from LG but it doesn't show those dimensions...

thx,
Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.04.40 AM.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	2348568  
greyflag and codyrocco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19984 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie R View Post
Hello Owners of B7 and C7,

Can someone measure the distance ( in inches ) from the BOTTOM of the TV to the first ( lower) set of holes for the VESA 300X200 connections?
I have the pdf of the manual for the TV from LG but it doesn't show those dimensions...

thx,
Bernie
I got 3.45 inches on my B7
post #19985 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Try Godzilla and Bright on Netflix with these brightness settings using the latest LG 7 4.xxxx firmware to test this out. This is my preferred DV top setting for streaming and discs.

In my opinion, this performance provides full visual details of black level performance while black bars (in Bright for instance) are separated in black level from the in-picture black levels. The movie Bright in the scene where they discover the Elf with the magic Wand, is a fantastic demonstration of how dynamic Dolby Vision performance from black to bright objects (on OLED) in the same frame.

See how you like it.
Thanks for the suggestions! 😊 I need to test it more Dolby media. Settled on brightness at 49 after seeing elevated blacks on some darks scenes from Okja. OLED at 60 was fine till I tried that star trek spoof from black mirror and my eyes started to hurt O.O.

Will play around some more 😊
post #19986 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked: 6475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie R View Post
If you are hanging your mount without the TV their, be patient and wait for all good's to be there. Makes things much easier......
post #19987 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiannay View Post
At the end of the day, THIS is the most likely explanation for the disparity here in our home. I do believe certain individuals are just more sensitive to SOE.

We have finally found a good middle-of-the-road solution that works for the both of us: De-Judder = 4, De-Blur = 5. We are really enjoying this new technology, and I am very pleased to have AVS Forum here to help us along in these early days.

Thanks everyone!
That makes zero sense to me. Those 4/5 settings absolutely show SOE, AND artifacts on fast pans. Either way, glad you both are happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
It is talked about extensively in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post55411022

and this thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...103347/page-45

@3DVideoBuff did some major studying on the LG motion. User 0/0 brings in 3:2 pulldown. Most of this pertains to 2016 models, but I think it still stands for 2017.
I would not assume that at all. Rtings.com extensively tested this on the C7 and found User 0/0 is the way to go.

To be able to display 24p content without judder, the 'TruMotion' option must be set to 'User' and both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero (when set to 0, no soap opera effect will be added).

When it come to movies playing via a 60p/60i source like cable boxes, the C7 was able to remove judder completely just by turning on the 'Real cinema' option.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Also, the B6 has a different processing chip to the rest of the 2016 line, and there were funky issues with motion for the 2016 range in general. That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t get one.
ataneruo likes this.
post #19988 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentreza View Post
So it doesn't look too dim to you compared to hdr 10? I've yet to try a Dolby vision uhd disk but Netflix and vudu seem too dark
Quote:

See how you like it.
LG's implementation of DV is kind of a mess. From a calibration standpoint, the specific 2017 LG OLED Calman workflow limits you to white balance adjustments only. That will reduce the luminance errors, but it still won't look as good ( general PQ ) as HDR-10. The DV "Cinema (Home)" picture mode is just plain old awful - plenty bright, but everything is blown out like some kind of Vivid picture mode on steroids. It looks gimmicky. "Cinema (User)" - the TV will add the "(User)" part after you make a settings change - without adjusting does look rather dim.

I would use @Al Leong 's suggested settings as a starting point and then try adjusting the OLED LIGHT upwards from the 50 default. For my C7, is use the same "Cinema (User)" picture mode, but then I up the OLED LIGHT to 70, and keep Contrast where it is @ 100. Also, lower the basic Color setting to 48, as this will reduce saturation issues where everyone looks like they have a sunburn.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 01-20-2018 at 10:06 AM.
post #19989 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I would not assume that at all. Rtings.com extensively tested this on the C7 and found User 0/0 is the way to go.

To be able to display 24p content without judder, the 'TruMotion' option must be set to 'User' and both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero (when set to 0, no soap opera effect will be added).

When it come to movies playing via a 60p/60i source like cable boxes, the C7 was able to remove judder completely just by turning on the 'Real cinema' option.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Also, the B6 has a different processing chip to the rest of the 2016 line, and there were funky issues with motion for the 2016 range in general. That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t get one.
Turning on Trumotion shuts off Real Cinema.

So that begs the question what does Real Cinema do when it is on with a 24p source?

ps 24p has natural judder, so maybe User 0/0 is just introducing 3:2 pulldown just like the 2016 models.

Who knows? I wish it just says exactly what each option does

Last edited by mikek; 01-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #19990 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you are hanging your mount without the TV their, be patient and wait for all good's to be there. Makes things much easier......
Thx,

No actually i have an existing setup using a really nice Echogear EGLF1 full motion mount. The problem is is that the mount location can't really be changed. The mount location is basically centered in the area where the 65" TV is. Before drywalling in this area i filled that spot with backing 2X4 studs for support.

In my current set up ( VIZIO 65") the VESA holes are like 8.5" from the bottom of the TV. If those holes were any lower down towards the bottom of the TV my mount would not work because the TV brackets that come with the mount are not long enough for more adjustment downwards!

thx,

Bernie
post #19991 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schacter View Post
New 55" C7 buyer here, replacing a Samsung JS8500. I did some searches on this thread but found surprisingly few "recommended settings" posts. Can anyone direct me to a settings list or otherwise recommend settings? The TV will be used solely for cable TV (FiOS), Apple TV streaming (newest model), and BluRay movies - no gaming. The room the TV will be in is quite bright during the day but dark in the evening. Are the Rtngs settings suggestions a good starting point?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
The definitive starting point, it should be a sticky, is this link below. Use it as a base and apply personal preferences or changes that may be relevant to subsequent firmware releases.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post54697728
post #19992 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
Turning on Trumotion shuts off Real Cinema.

So that begs the question what does Real Cinema do when it is on with a 24p source?

ps 24p has natural judder, so maybe User 0/0 is just introducing 3:2 pulldown just like the 2016 models.

Who knows? I wish it just says exactly what each option does
Real Cinema is just for 60p/i devices where it can pull the 24p original frame rate if it’s being played at 60hz. You can test that really easily by setting your Apple TV or Xbox One etc to 60hz ONLY, and playing back 24p material. It looks perfect without judder with Real Cinema on. Real Cinema does nothing with a 24p source when the display is already AT 24hz.
post #19993 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schacter View Post
New 55" C7 buyer here, replacing a Samsung JS8500. I did some searches on this thread but found surprisingly few "recommended settings" posts. Can anyone direct me to a settings list or otherwise recommend settings? The TV will be used solely for cable TV (FiOS), Apple TV streaming (newest model), and BluRay movies - no gaming. The room the TV will be in is quite bright during the day but dark in the evening. Are the Rtngs settings suggestions a good starting point?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Stay away from the Rtings settings - they were done almost a year ago and there have been several firmware updates released since then. IMO the dedicated calibration thread is a waste of time. Lots of gaming settings, but very little in terms of the type of watching/viewing you want to do.

Try the below settings. I have also posted more extensive meter based settings in my signature below, but the technicolor Expert picture mode for both SDR and HDR content is the best and most accurate out there.

NOTE: For HDR settings, use the same "technicolor Expert" picture mode and adjust the basic Color setting to 48 to reduce some over-saturation issues. Leave the rest of the settings at default.

Also, on your AppleTV 4K, turn of dynamic range matching, turn on frame rate matching, and leave the home screen video set to 4K HDR. Basically what I'm getting at is to stay away from Dolby Vision if you like watching movies. It's just not implemented very well on the LG - unfortunately. . . . .

Enjoy!

SDR Settings
Energy Saving: Off

SDR Picture Mode: "technicolor Expert"

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 60
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off
maveric23, bigzee3 and schizm83 like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 01-20-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #19994 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Has it been confirmed that sharpness below 10 on technicolor artificially softens the image?
post #19995 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG's implementation of DV is kind of a mess. From a calibration standpoint, the specific 2017 LG OLED Calman workflow limits you to white balance adjustments only. That will reduce the luminance errors, but it still won't look as good ( general PQ ) as HDR-10. The DV "Cinema (Home)" picture mode is just plain old awful - plenty bright, but everything is blown out like some kind of Vivid picture mode on steroids. It looks gimmicky. "Cinema (User)" - the TV will add the "(User)" part after you make a settings change - without adjusting does look rather dim.

I would use @Al Leong 's suggested settings as a starting point and then try adjusting the OLED LIGHT upwards from the 50 default. For my C7, is use the same "Cinema (User)" picture mode, but then I up the OLED LIGHT to 70, and keep Contrast where it is @ 100. Also, lower the basic Color setting to 48, as this will reduce saturation issues where everyone looks like they have a sunburn.
Is this LG or just the mysteries of DV since every vendor seems to be having DV issues?

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #19996 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by towerboy View Post
One 53" Medialight strip for 65B7P...more than enough lumens.
The Medialight works well. In a fully dark room, I use it at its dimmest setting, and
for some programming just leave it off.
post #19997 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Also, on your AppleTV 4K, turn of dynamic range matching, turn on frame rate matching, and leave the home screen video set to 4K HDR. Basically what I'm getting at is to stay away from Dolby Vision if you like watching movies. It's just not implemented very well on the LG - unfortunately. . . . .

Really, you turn off DV? That’s a bold play, and the first I’ve heard of it. Do you think you lose much using HDR vs DV on the Apple TV?
post #19998 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Is this LG or just the mysteries of DV since every vendor seems to be having DV issues?
It's more DV than LG, but with an asterisk *. When I talk about implementation, my comparison would be with my Vizio where they provide access to the DVGR file which can then be loaded into the Calman DV workflow and fully calibrated using the file as a reference. Basically, I'm amending and correcting any mismatches between the panel's performance and the DVGR file. The resulting PQ is on par with the SDR calibration - which means it looks fabulous. With LG's implementation, there are adjustment restrictions imposed by either Dolby or LG or both - so doing a full fledged calibration like on the Vizio is out of the question.

Then we have the most recent bugs that have been identified, but we're in a holding pattern waiting for the various vendors to push out firmware updates to correct it.

It's interesting to note that Sony's DV implementation will only be using the min-max tone mapping metadata and ignoring all the rest. They will use their own processing to finish the frame. They are basically not handing over full control of their TV's to DV as everyone else has done in one form or another - including LG and Vizio, etc.

post #19999 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Return the B7 for the Sony X930?

I've had the B7 now for 3 weeks and am coming from a 2 year old 1080 LG OLED, the 9300. Though I'm overall pleased with the display of 4K content, I'm kind of disappointed in the display of non-4k material, which is what I mostly watch.

I thought that I had read that the Sony X930 has a better upscaler, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pros and cons of exchanging for the Sony X930.

I realize that the black levels will be better on the OLED, but I would be glad to lose the banding and worrying about image retention.

I watch a lot of 1080P streaming content of tv shows from Amazon Video and Vudu, and I just want the best overall performance for watching non-4K content.

I'm currently using the RTings settings with some personal adjustments, though I may try the settings that I just read posted above.

Thanks for any feedback.
post #20000 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The last DV 4K UHD disc I purchased was "It" and currently own all of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision enabled discs, I think any DV issues should be pointed to Apple TV.

The discs from a OPPO 203 are possibly the best display of PQ possible on OLED.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #20001 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Really, you turn off DV? That’s a bold play, and the first I’ve heard of it. Do you think you lose much using HDR vs DV on the Apple TV?
You won't lose much of anything, and you gain a MUCH NICER LOOKING PICTURE. The beauty of our LG's is that we have the Dynamic Contrast setting that when set to "Low" while receiving an HDR signal provides dynamic metadata tone mapping similar to DV. Now, I'm sure I'll get flamed by those that have looked at Vincent's videos, and when you freeze a frame and do a side-by-side comparison, you might see more detail in the DV image. But you have to freeze the frame to see it. That the crucial point. I don't know about you, but I don't watch a movie by looking at a single frame at a time.

Right now, the way DV is performing, you will enjoy HDR much more and it's so much easier on the eyes with reduced fatigue. It's hard to explain but it looks smoother and less harsh.

post #20002 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The last DV 4K UHD disc I purchased was "It" and currently own all of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision enabled discs, I think any DV issues should be pointed to Apple TV.

IMO, DV looks gimmicky when streamed. I mean it looks OK, but not as natural as HDR, not as smooth. Watching the content from a disc ( Oppo ) is bound to be better. Certainly not nearly as compressed as streaming.

post #20003 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all I recently picked up a Denon x2400h and hooked them up to my Kef Q300’s. At the moment I’m only running a 2.0 setup. I have an LG C7, Xbox One X and Apple TV 4K. What is the best way to hook up the inputs for best sound and visual. I greatly appreciate any tips anyone can give me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG C7 Custom SDR, HDR, DV Profiles // Denon X2400H // KEF Q100 L & R // Xbox One X // PS4 Pro // Apple TV 4K // 2.0 Confirigation Currently //
post #20004 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
I've had the B7 now for 3 weeks and am coming from a 2 year old 1080 LG OLED, the 9300. Though I'm overall pleased with the display of 4K content, I'm kind of disappointed in the display of non-4k material, which is what I mostly watch.

I thought that I had read that the Sony X930 has a better upscaler, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pros and cons of exchanging for the Sony X930...
Why don't you just keep your 9300 LG and hold off on a 4K TV until you'd watch primarily 4K content? That 9300 LG will provide better quality of native non-HDR 1080 content than any 4K TV. Don't make the mistake of assuming that 4K TVs will improve non-4K content.

============================
Grouchy Golf
post #20005 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

IMO, DV looks gimmicky when streamed. I mean it looks OK, but not as natural as HDR, not as smooth. Watching the content from a disc ( Oppo ) is bound to be better. Certainly not nearly as compressed as streaming.
Ok, yes I agree, I wasnt sure what context the statement was made. Ive gone on record in these forums in the past to say DV streaming looked gimmicky also. That was based on watching the early VUDU DV encodes which to me were horrific compared to just regular HDR10.

Im going to go on a limb and say VUDU may have re-encoded their DV titles to match the reviewers acclaim for ATV DV content. Looking at the DV stuff on VUDU today and it looks as if the quality improved.

Netflix DV in my opinion is done well, but it is contingent of needing to find a black level setting that allows you to see reasonable low black level details. I really think the default Brightness 50 is too low (even 53 would be better) because DV black levels are deeper than HDR10.

For instance, the black level settings I posted earlier, when I try that on the HDR10 picture mode (I use Technicolor Expert) one I hit Brightness 55, the grey/blacks show.

I think the LG 7 (4.xxx FW) picture quality with Dynamic Contrast LOW (for Active HDR) display a dynamic performance that rivals DV for the most part, but.. most DV content goes a bit beyond HDR10 in low black objects to high bright objects in dynamic range..

So due to this, youll look at a scene in DV and it looks dim because the scene is in a room or area that want to translate low light, but if you notice a lamp post or a bright object popping out in the background, its what I had to learn to notice to know DV was working properly (and not just looking at a dim image). Once I was able to find low black level settings for DV that worked for my attention to low black detail (without loosing my OLED uniform black performance) I found a new love for DV.

I like the LG internal apps for DV viewing more so than ATV.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #20006 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
That makes zero sense to me. Those 4/5 settings absolutely show SOE, AND artifacts on fast pans. Either way, glad you both are happy.
Well, that makes two of us I am an absolute newbie with all this so don't really understand the details about what I'm doing right now. Got some general guidance on what settings to change to affect SOE, and arrived at a visual compromise between me any my wife. So, for the moment, all is well.

Need to spend time studying all the terms, what SOE really is, what is "judder", etc. As I come up to speed it'll all start to make more sense.

Appreciate all the guidance so far.

Doug
Current OLED: LG C7 65"
Current PJ: Optoma HD72
Current Screen: Carada 92" 16x9
post #20007 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I 100% agree. Think there is some group think going on here and it's the appletv not implementing dv correctly, which they've already admitted they will have to patch to fix.

Using google chromecast ultra, it streams dv and hdr 10 (the appletv isnt the only streamer that does despite what has been stated in this thread), dv blows hdr10 out of the water. Dv also looks great on netflix on built in app (watch non marvel shows for no grain)...turn it to Cinema (user), set sharpness to 0, and you are good to go.

I know Al Leong mentioned the oppo 203, I wanted to offer my take on the streaming side.

On vudu, Oblivion, Live Die Repeat Edge of Tomorrow, Spiderman.Homecoming, Wonder Woman, and BladeRunner 2049 look fantastic in DV. I watched comparable titles in hdr 10 on google play and there is no comparison.

Wait for apple to patch the appletv before assessing dv or venture out of the apple bubble...it's a big world out there.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #20008 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post

I thought that I had read that the Sony X930 has a better upscaler, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the pros and cons of exchanging for the Sony X930.

I realize that the black levels will be better on the OLED, but I would be glad to lose the banding and worrying about image retention.

I watch a lot of 1080P streaming content of tv shows from Amazon Video and Vudu, and I just want the best overall performance for watching non-4K content.

I'm currently using the RTings settings with some personal adjustments, though I may try the settings that I just read posted above.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have never posted before, but I was in the same exact position as you so I thought I’d chime in. I originally bought a b7 from Best Buy and got it home and it looked great but the cable channels left something to be desired. I had read a bunch of stuff about how good the Sony 930e was at upscaling and how the blacks were almost as good and all that they’re spewing over there in the lcd thread. So I boxed up the b7 and I returned my set and exchanged it for the 930e. When I got home i set it up. The picture quality between the two is a night and day difference. I noticed no difference in upscaling on the Sony and the picture quality was horrible compared to the b7. When watching anything it looked like the whole screen was covered in a light grey film because the contrast was nowhere near the b7. My wife even commented how “crappy” the picture looked, and she usually doesn’t notice those things. I think going from the OLED to LCD just really ruined me. Once you see that infinite contrast every other LCD just doesn’t compare. I’m sure if the Sony would have been the first tv I bought I wouldn’t have had a problem and would have loved it. Needless to say I boxed it back up and exchanged it again for the LG. Also I’ve been gaming like crazy and have over 400 hours now on the tv and have seen no start of burn in. Also cable channels don’t look the best but 1080p streaming and discs looks extremely good to me. Not trying to bash the 930e just sharing my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kluken likes this.
post #20009 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Try the below settings. I have also posted most extensive meter based settings in my signature below, but the technicolor Expert picture mode for both SDR and HDR content is the best and most accurate out there.

NOTE: For HDR settings, use the same "technicolor Expert" picture mode and adjust the basic Color setting to 48 to reduce some over-saturation issues. Leave the rest of the settings at default.

SDR Settings
Energy Saving: Off

SDR Picture Mode: "technicolor Expert"

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 60
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off
Thank you for posting some non calibrated settings. I tried starting a thread about this but it never got any posts.
Are your above settings for a bright room?

What do you like for hdr settings?

What do you like for motion settings?

Thanks again!

post #20010 of 36111 Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous21 View Post
I 100% agree. Think there is some group think going on here and it's the appletv not implementing dv correctly, which they've already admitted they will have to patch to fix.

Can you please post your source about AppleTV not implementing DV correctly. The only sources I’ve seen on the forums say that there is a problem with DV over HDMI, and not limited to Apple TV, and the fix from Dolby is in the decoder which resides on the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page