2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 670 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980362Likes

post #20071 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
I'd like some feedback on how my set's banding stacks up to other banding.
Do you see a problem when you watch the TV (versus watching color or gray slides)? If it doesn't bother you when you watch TV, then in my opinion it is not a problem.

Even if you see a problem, and you return it, is the next one going to be better?

ps - I can't see anything bad in your slides, but then I am no expert.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
I'm apologize for bombarding the board with so many posts at once, but I wanted to make sure to reply to those who gave me feedback on my earlier post.

I'm hoping for some opinions on my B7's banding. I think that it has gotten better in the 3 weeks that I've had it, but I'd like some feedback on how my set's banding stacks up to other banding.

Thanks again for any feedback.
Well, shut-the-door! Seriously, you have a really clean panel - you lucky son of a gun!

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #20073 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by copybeaver View Post
Has it been confirmed that sharpness below 10 on technicolor artificially softens the image?

Anything on this? I believe Technicolor defaults to Sharpness of 10, which I’m using for SDR. My question is with Technicolor on HDR - doesn’t seem like Sharpness of 10 would be necessary, but by lowering to 0 am I actually artificially softening the picture? I appreciate the thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20074 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Okay, I posted this a few pages back but I am at my wits end. I have an OLED65B6P and it looks horrible. Not "just my personal preference" horrible, it just looks like crap (which is really frustrating for such an expensive purchase that I splurged on).

Please check out the attached photos, aren't an exaggeration due to my camera, this is how my TV looks in real life.

I have tried setting after setting, I have tried different HDMI cables, I have bypassed my Denon receiver, it looks like the photos below over every playback device, DirectTV, XBox One, DVD, streaming content. Extremely frustrating.

Is there something I am missing here or something I should try?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_180910.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	2349146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180120_181040.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	2349148  
post #20075 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6436 Post(s)
Liked: 6105
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Okay, I posted this a few pages back but I am at my wits end. I have an OLED65B6P and it looks horrible. Not "just my personal preference" horrible, it just looks like crap (which is really frustrating for such an expensive purchase that I splurged on).

Please check out the attached photos, aren't an exaggeration due to my camera, this is how my TV looks in real life.

I have tried setting after setting, I have tried different HDMI cables, I have bypassed my Denon receiver, it looks like the photos below over every playback device, DirectTV, XBox One, DVD, streaming content. Extremely frustrating.

Is there something I am missing here or something I should try?

Thanks in advance.

This looks like low quality sources from the pictures. The banding and pixelation are common when getting a bad feed, especially when streaming. If those are HW feeds such as a Blu-Ray then maybe it’s Settings? Have you tried a factory reset?
post #20076 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This looks like low quality sources from the pictures. The banding and pixelation are common when getting a bad feed, especially when streaming. If those are HW feeds such as a Blu-Ray then maybe it’s Settings? Have you tried a factory reset?
Thanks for the feedback.

Looks the same with Blu-Ray as well (slightly better, but still not good).

I will try the factory reset and see what that does... but it pretty much looked like this when I first hung it on the wall and powered it up.
post #20077 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I tried a full factory reset.... see the attached photo. This is the opening shot of the GoT episode "Stormborn". Still looks like poop. The TV does say that it is getting a 2160p input from my Denon receiver. I have tried taking the Denon out of the look and it ends up looking pretty much the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180121_160508[1].jpg
Views:	241
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	2349202  
post #20078 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, how do I remove the "soap opera" effect in movies? I'm getting this effect with every movie, including regular TV movies.
post #20079 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
@sonoftumble - I see you like OLED Light at 60 for SDR Technicolor Expert. How big an impact does the OLED Light setting have on the overall result? 60 is a tad bright for me.

Your suggestions and observations posted here are greatly appreciated by me since you seem to know what you're doing and your objective appears to be picture accuracy.
OK . . . . I got the meter out and ran a full SDR calibration on "technicolor Expert". In the attached screenshots, you will see the pre-calibration scan which shows a pretty accurate performing TV. The second screenshot shows how the colors came out after I got into the white balance and CMS. As you will see the colors came out almost perfect. If you want the CMS and White Balance settings, PM me.

Here's the readings/settings that I got. I also attached a screenshot with the ISF guidelines based on room lighting. My recommendation would be to turn it higher than what's listed below until it just gets too bright, and back it off a couple of points. The reason for this is because you can get a bit of HDR pop out of the picture by increasing it. Just don't go crazy or exceed 60. That's for SDR. The HDR setting is 100, and leave as is.

These are all middle ground settings as the attached guideline will also indicate . . .
Bright Room: 55FL - OLED LIGHT = 49
Dim Room: 45FL - O.L. = 36
Dark Room 35FL - O.L. = 25

Quote:
A question that I have for you is in regards to SDR. I apologize, but I don't see an SDR setting, so I just used your settings for Technicolor Expert and applied it to all of my inputs. I have HDR enabled through my HDMI port that is coming from Denon receiver that has my 4K equipment passing through it. I then have my Spectrum Cable STB going into another HDMI port. Did I do it correctly, as I assume you mean for viewing Standard Dynamic Range content, which would be anything not in 4K HDR?
The TV actually auto-switches to the appropriate dynamic range mode based on what type of signal ( SDR, HDR, HLG, DV ) it receives. There's a same named version of technicolor Expert for HDR, but you need to be playing HDR content in order for the TV to be triggered into HDR mode. It also has its own settings file/table that will be different from the SDR version of the picture mode. Same thing for DV, except there is no technicolor Expert picture mode offered. ( competing format )

When you play HDR content and the TV recognizes the signal you will see a banner/badge appear briefly on the upper right hand corner of the screen. So you either need an HDR playback device such as a 4K UHD player, or a streamer like the AppleTV 4K or Roku, etc. - or use one of the built-in apps and launch the Amazon Prime app and play HDR content. Double check your Denon and make sure it is setup to pass through a 4K HDR signal from any of the connected devices.

I hope I'm making sense.

EDIT: I accidentally posted a pre-calibration screenshot of HDR. Now I have the correct one for SDR- technicolor Expert.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-19-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #20080 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The AFC Championship game on CBS looks superb on my B7A with even the wife commenting "Now I see why you bought this TV"
euckersw and adcustom like this.
post #20081 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I tried a full factory reset.... see the attached photo. This is the opening shot of the GoT episode "Stormborn". Still looks like poop. The TV does say that it is getting a 2160p input from my Denon receiver. I have tried taking the Denon out of the look and it ends up looking pretty much the same.

Here is a picture of that same scene from the HBOGO stream via the ATV4K.

Here is the ITunes version:

It appears what you are seeing is compression related (IMO). As you can see above, while not perfect the ITunes version does not have as many artifacts. I have the BR as well, but I would expect that to trump both of the above.
Al Leong likes this.
post #20082 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
I have the Denon AVR-S510BT and according to Denon, "The video section features 5 HDMI inputs, 3 of which feature 4K Ultra HD/60 Hz full frame rate and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling pass-through for the ultimate home theater experience." So, I assume it just does pass-through and not upscaling.

I'm using the Roku Premiere + to stream tv shows through Amazon and Vudu in 1080p, which look pretty good overall; I just feel like the picture can be a little soft and noisy, though after applying sonoftumble's Technicolor settings, I think that it has improved.

I agree that I feel like there's not a lot that can be done for my Spectrum's extremely compressed picture quality though.

Thanks.
That Denon only does pass through. I will say I do not see a noticeable difference in my wife's Sony vs. my LG OLED for up scaling, but our DirecTV is decent input, but if I feed either a crappy signal they both put out crap. I am sure under close inspection the Sony probably does a better job, but from 13 feet away I can;t tell them apart, garbage is garbage.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #20083 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Here is a picture of that same scene from the HBOGO stream via the ATV4K.

Here is the ITunes version:

It appears what you are seeing is compression related (IMO). As you can see above, while not perfect the ITunes version does not have as many artifacts. I have the BR as well, but I would expect that to trump both of the above.
Very interesting... So I did the same test a few weeks back. I watched the Blu-Ray version on my XBox One, the HBO Go version and I still have the DVR version stored on my Direct TV Genie.

Looking at all 3, the HBO Go version was BAD, their streaming technology is not good. The DirectTV version (which is what I used in my attachment earlier) wasn't great (as you can see), but better than HBO Go. The Blu-Ray was the best but it was still not great and nowhere near what I would expect from a TV rated as highly as this one.

One other thing to point out. My TV is above the fireplace and the rest of my gear is off to the side. By the time it snakes around the room I am using something like 30 feet of cable.

The TV still says it is handshaking at 2160p but I do wonder if there is an issue there. Should I be using a signal booster someplace along that run? I could probably get the booster around 15 feet into the chain but I don't know if that would help or hurt?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help
post #20084 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Those who have bias lighting, did you but the LED strips on just the white plastic part, or on the back on the screen as well? Got some for my C7P, really just to try them, thought they looked cool, now just trying to figure out best way to install them.

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #20085 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by copybeaver View Post
Has it been confirmed that sharpness below 10 on technicolor artificially softens the image?

Anything on this? I believe Technicolor defaults to Sharpness of 10, which I?m using for SDR. My question is with Technicolor on HDR - doesn?t seem like Sharpness of 10 would be necessary, but by lowering to 0 am I actually artificially softening the picture? I appreciate the thoughts!
I tried lowering my SDR sharpness below 10, and it softness the edges. 10 is the new 0.
sonoftumble likes this.

post #20086 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Very interesting... So I did the same test a few weeks back. I watched the Blu-Ray version on my XBox One, the HBO Go version and I still have the DVR version stored on my Direct TV Genie.

Looking at all 3, the HBO Go version was BAD, their streaming technology is not good. The DirectTV version (which is what I used in my attachment earlier) wasn't great (as you can see), but better than HBO Go. The Blu-Ray was the best but it was still not great and nowhere near what I would expect from a TV rated as highly as this one.

One other thing to point out. My TV is above the fireplace and the rest of my gear is off to the side. By the time it snakes around the room I am using something like 30 feet of cable.

The TV still says it is handshaking at 2160p but I do wonder if there is an issue there. Should I be using a signal booster someplace along that run? I could probably get the booster around 15 feet into the chain but I don't know if that would help or hurt?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help

I wouldn’t say it’s bad at all (HBOGO). You’ve selected a torture test scene. Not many streaming services will do well with that intro. Rain, mist, dark and lighting Will show all of the issues of low bandwidth scenes.

If you are even having trouble with the BR version, something might be up with your setup. 30’ is pushing the limits of most cables when it comes to 4K. It could be your cable run (especially if you are having issues with all sources). The only time I saw any issues is when I paused the scene and got really close to the TV, normal viewing most of what I took a picture of was “hidden”.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #20087 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
The AFC Championship game on CBS looks superb on my B7A with even the wife commenting "Now I see why you bought this TV"
Between last week and this week, I swapped out my B7A for a C7P. So happy I did! Picture is so much better. Sound is really good.

BTW - live in Jacksonville, and I have been a patriots fan for years. No matter who wins the game, I'm on the winning side.

post #20088 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
Between last week and this week, I swapped out my B7A for a C7P. So happy I did! Picture is so much better. Sound is really good.

Watching on a B7A here and it looks fantastic! Not knocking your decision, just saying the B7A can hold its own!
leela222 likes this.
post #20089 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3647
^^^they both have the same pq, any differences will be because of panel variances.
post #20090 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ EVERYTHING I read and believe says that the displays are all identical. I think my B7A had issues (and even with issues it looked better than my plasma). The only quibble I have so far with the C7P is that during fast moving scenes, there is "tearing" of the focus. But that is me being super critical, and I'm real good at that.

post #20091 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Watching on a B7A here and it looks fantastic! Not knocking your decision, just saying the B7A can hold its own!
Amen, my B7A is has fantastic PQ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #20092 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There literally identical. Panel variance. And case

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bbbobbb, maveric23 and leela222 like this.
post #20093 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
^^ EVERYTHING I read and believe says that the displays are all identical. I think my B7A had issues (and even with issues it looked better than my plasma). The only quibble I have so far with the C7P is that during fast moving scenes, there is "tearing" of the focus. But that is me being super critical, and I'm real good at that.
They are the same for sure.
bbbobbb, maveric23 and leela222 like this.
post #20094 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
...I then have my Spectrum Cable STB going into another HDMI port...
Well this is an issue that you can't overcome unless you switch providers. Here in LA, Spectrum is bottom of the barrel when it comes to picture quality due to signal compression. It looks like crap in native resolution on my friend's 50" Samsung HDTV. I can't imagine how much worse it would look upscaled to 4K!

IMHO, there's not a 4K TV that will ever display Sprectrum delivered HD content satisfactorily, at least to my eyes.

============================
Grouchy Golf

Last edited by maveric23; 01-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #20095 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Only from certain cameras, IMHO. The wide-angle and skycam is overly compressed. Frontier Fios Los Angeles is my provider but they supposedly don't add compression to the original broadcast signal.

============================
Grouchy Golf

Last edited by maveric23; 01-21-2018 at 03:05 PM.
post #20096 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t say it’s bad at all (HBOGO). You’ve selected a torture test scene. Not many streaming services will do well with that intro. Rain, mist, dark and lighting Will show all of the issues of low bandwidth scenes.

If you are even having trouble with the BR version, something might be up with your setup. 30’ is pushing the limits of most cables when it comes to 4K. It could be your cable run (especially if you are having issues with all sources). The only time I saw any issues is when I paused the scene and got really close to the TV, normal viewing most of what I took a picture of was “hidden”.
Well, the HBO GO app was by far the worst of the 3 sources I tested so maybe it was just that show (or my set up).

As to that one scene being bad, just about every TV show has something that looks horrible on my TV.

Here is another example, this is from the DirectTV broadcast of SkyFall. I have 100's of examples that I could post, it just looks bad over and over again with anything that has any gradient to it at all. Under water, smoke, dark gray to light, it's really hard to watch just about anything. And it's not when the TV is paused, it's actually WORSE with motion.

It looks like compression artifacts but I don't know what to do to get rid of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180120_180910.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	2349240  
post #20097 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Those who have bias lighting, did you but the LED strips on just the white plastic part, or on the back on the screen as well? Got some for my C7P, really just to try them, thought they looked cool, now just trying to figure out best way to install them.
I used to have LED strips but I didn't want to put anything on the back of this gorgeous TV, so I bought two Philips Hue lamps. I got them to work with a remote so I didn't need the Hue bridge. I moved my LED strips underneath.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Y2JDMBFAN, coz2001 and Cam1977 like this.
post #20098 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:10 PM

And yes, all sources are coming over the same cable but I have changed out multiple cables including this 30 foot run.

See below for another example of what I am talking about.... would a signal booster help here at all?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180120_181040.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	2349242  
post #20099 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Well, the HBO GO app was by far the worst of the 3 sources I tested so maybe it was just that show (or my set up).

As to that one scene being bad, just about every TV show has something that looks horrible on my TV.

Here is another example, this is from the DirectTV broadcast of SkyFall. I have 100's of examples that I could post, it just looks bad over and over again with anything that has any gradient to it at all. Under water, smoke, dark gray to light, it's really hard to watch just about anything. And it's not when the TV is paused, it's actually WORSE with motion.

It looks like compression artifacts but I don't know what to do to get rid of it.

You are choosing very challenging scenes from a poor source. You probably need to adjust your expectations not your settings. Try a UHD disc of that scene to see what the TV can do.

Does normal TV look ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maveric23 likes this.
post #20100 of 36271 Old 01-21-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your not seeing anything unusual, I get the same compression artifacts on my Vizio p series...these oleds are great at bringing out both the good and bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page