2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 728 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980484Likes

post #21811 of 36580 Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6786 Post(s)
Liked: 6786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob539 View Post
After reading so much about the Technicolor update I decided to see what all the hype was about. I took 2 screenshots in game mode and 2 in technicolor while watching the Olympic Games on the 4K DirecTV channel 106. I feel the image was much more life like.

What do you think?
Looks good to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21812 of 36580 Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Carr View Post
I have major sync problems off my comcast Arris box as well as from other sources (Shield TV), etc.

Sync problems are worse on some channels than on others as well as streaming services (Hulu is especially bad), while Netflix is a few frames off. This issue exists whether the TV is connected to my Denon AVR-4400h receiver or directly from the cable box to the TV.

LG has admitted to the problem and say that their software engineers are working hard to fix it, with no timetable.

I have never seen an issue like this on any TV I have ever owned and am wondering if this is a software problem or if it is related to actual hardware, or a combination of both.

I have until the 20th to return the TV and since I've had it there has been one software update that was supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't.

Any information would be helpful. This TV was purchased at Costco.
Have you adjusted the sync settings in your Denon?
post #21813 of 36580 Old 02-14-2018, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Magalhães View Post
Hey people, just registered here to share my issue with you. Maybe someone has gone through this already and managed to fix it without having to replace the TV.

It seems my TV is having issues handling HDR data through any HDMI inputs. I can watch HDR and DV through Netflix's app perfectly, but when I try to play my PS4 Pro the TV simly does not work. I experience a lot of artifacts, TV turns black and takes a little bit to show the image again and then it just turns black and does not go back on until I shut it down first. I don't think the PS4 is the issue here nor is the HDMI cable being used. I plugged another HDMI cable to my computer and experience the same kind of issue when trying to play Battlefront 2 on it (it has HDR as well). Content with no HDR seem to run just fine. BTW I tried with both Ultra HD Deep Colour option ON and OFF for these inputs and experience the same issues. Will try to record a video to better illustrate the issue. Hope you people can help me!
Are you connecting the PS4 directly to the OLED? Or going through an AVR? If you're using an AVR, does it pass HDR? Does it pass Dolby Vision? If it does, you'll need to enable HDR passthrough in the AVR settings. Also check that you have HDR enabled in your PS4 Pro settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21814 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
I'm watching it in 4K on Comcast in HDR10 & Dolby Atmos. There's a few catches and a few good things:
  • You need the latest 4K DVR - the XG1v4 with Audio set to "Expert" mode
  • The events are delayed 24 hours (so as not to tick off their affiliates, I read), so it's available via OnDemand
  • Not all events are covered
  • Atmos was cutting out a bit the first day, but they fixed it. It's surprisingly effective at projecting a 3D soundscape, the audio people are doing an awesome job
  • Due to the inability to splice in commercials, there are none!

Each time I've watched it, when I'm done, it's gone back to the regular SDR coverage. The blurry graphics and dull, flat picture, with muted colors and gray snow/ice is just painful to watch compared to the 4K HDR. After a while you get used to it the SDR again, but if this 4K HDR is the future of sports coverage, I am REALLY excited!
We have Comcast (in Seattle) - and until now had no idea Comcast offered 4K anything, Olympics or otherwise. (In fact, my understanding has been that Comcast doesn't even have full HD, limiting/lowering its "HD" transmissions to 720p.) I don't recall ever seeing anything about or from Comcast offering 4K anything - no bill stuffers, nothing printed on any of the bills, no ads, no notices - absolutely nothing.

How much does Comcast charge for the "XG1v4 DVR"? (We have what I understand to be Comcast's low end X1 cable box without DVR or voice control.)
post #21815 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
The Comcast 4k box is free and there is no upfront charge nor an additional monthly charge. The box is much smaller than the old box. The box only has a white light on it. No clock.

The free exchange is if you do the swap in a Comcast store. If you do it by mail, it is $15.

A lot, if not all, of their olympic coverage is 24 hours delayed. After the Olympics I suspect they will not have any 4k content for a while.

Last edited by XBR11; 02-15-2018 at 05:25 AM.
post #21816 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
The Comcast 4k box is free and there is no upfront charge nor an additional monthly charge. The box is much smaller than the old box. The box only has a white light on it. No clock.

The free exchange is if you do the swap in a Comcast store. If you do it by mail, it is $15.

A lot, if not all, of their olympic coverage is 24 hours delayed. After the Olympics I suspect they will not have any 4k content for a while.

I live in the Bay Area, California and you cannot pick up the 4k box in stores, it’s mail delivery only.

Lucky you if you can pick them up where you live.

There will be no more 4k content after the Olympics, with no timeline on when they expect more, they seemed to blame the providers with not giving them 4k. Seems odd since DTV has a 24/7 channel and 2 special event channels of 4k. That was according to the rep I spoke to at my local store. They’ve also been promising for years on 4k.

If I didn’t get free Comcast and use TiVo’s I’d switch to DTV with absolutely no second thoughts, seeing DTV at our clients houses makes me realize how awful the Comcast PQ is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ataneruo likes this.
post #21817 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I returned my 4k box after about 16 hours. I was pissed that the opening ceremony was not live. Wife wanted the clock back. I wasn't interested in watching curling in 4k. And I was getting some sort of interference watching recorded shows. Like a momentary stutter, or go to black for a half second. Felt like not yet ready for prime time. I'm sure I'll come back eventually to their 4k box, but not now.

post #21818 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
@r-gordon-7 , @Houdini415 , @XBR11

My 2 cents on the Comcast / 4K thing... They began rolling out the XG1v4 box about a year ago, but for new customers and "pro install" only. About 3 weeks ago, I chatted with Comcast online and they said that was no longer the case. They could ship me one for $15, or I could see if the local store had them in stock. My store had just received several units so I got one.

Outside of the absence of a clock (which I do miss), the XG1v4 is a step up over the XG1(v3 in my case). It's quieter as there's no fan, though the hard drive still makes a decent bit of noise and puts out a lot of heat. The upscaling is massively better than the previous box and for some reason, even the picture on the XiD companion box looks a lot better (sending a different codec to it, perhaps?). During the Super Bowl, even when the confetti fell, there was almost zero pixelation. The XG1 is miserable for sports IMHO as the low compression Comcast uses just falls apart, so whatever processor the XG1v4 uses is a lot better.

As for programming, yes, all they have is a lousy and slow implementation of Netflix and the delayed Olympics coverage. With my schedule, I haven't been able to watch any Olympics live (well most of the main coverage is also tape-delayed), so the ability to watch it OnDemand, in glorious 4K HDR / Atmos without commercials is not a big deal to me. After watching it on our OLED TVs, it's painful to go back to HD SDR coverage.

Also, Comcast will begin more 4K broadcasts at some point and you'll need this box for it. Since it doesn't cost anything extra, I have no regrets.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #21819 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
@r-gordon-7 , @Houdini415 , @XBR11

My 2 cents on the Comcast / 4K thing... They began rolling out the XG1v4 box about a year ago, but for new customers and "pro install" only. About 3 weeks ago, I chatted with Comcast online and they said that was no longer the case. They could ship me one for $15, or I could see if the local store had them in stock. My store had just received several units so I got one.

Outside of the absence of a clock (which I do miss), the XG1v4 is a step up over the XG1(v3 in my case). It's quieter as there's no fan, though the hard drive still makes a decent bit of noise and puts out a lot of heat. The upscaling is massively better than the previous box and for some reason, even the picture on the XiD companion box looks a lot better (sending a different codec to it, perhaps?). During the Super Bowl, even when the confetti fell, there was almost zero pixelation. The XG1 is miserable for sports IMHO as the low compression Comcast uses just falls apart, so whatever processor the XG1v4 uses is a lot better.

As for programming, yes, all they have is a lousy and slow implementation of Netflix and the delayed Olympics coverage. With my schedule, I haven't been able to watch any Olympics live (well most of the main coverage is also tape-delayed), so the ability to watch it OnDemand, in glorious 4K HDR / Atmos without commercials is not a big deal to me. After watching it on our OLED TVs, it's painful to go back to HD SDR coverage.

Also, Comcast will begin more 4K broadcasts at some point and you'll need this box for it. Since it doesn't cost anything extra, I have no regrets.
Thanks, folks, for the replies. Our two Comcast X1 boxes (upstairs and down) are the "Broadcom, STB Refsw Design". They are so basic that they don't even have a clock display - just a blue light on the power switch. I suppose there's no clock because the box doesn't have DVR. My guess is that as we don't have DVR, there would at least be a DVR upcharge for us to switch to the XG1v4...
post #21820 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Are there any pros/cons of using standby mode? (other then energy consumption, quicker power up times)

Reason I asked is my old Samsung TV got rather glitchy after a while of using standby mode and I ended up turning it off. Just wondering if anyone experienced anything out of the ordinary with their LG TVS.

Also a side question, I recently started using Bias lighting and notice it takes a few minutes for the USB ports to be shut off after I turn the TV off, is there any way around this?

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #21821 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
Are there any pros/cons of using standby mode? (other then energy consumption, quicker power up times)

Reason I asked is my old Samsung TV got rather glitchy after a while of using standby mode and I ended up turning it off. Just wondering if anyone experienced anything out of the ordinary with their LG TVS.

Also a side question, I recently started using Bias lighting and notice it takes a few minutes for the USB ports to be shut off after I turn the TV off, is there any way around this?
Not aware of any issues, and the lights staying on is a result of the TV's burn-in / image retention cleaning cycle, so the longer the TV is on, the longer the lights will stay on...the only real solution is to plug it into your AVR or other device that you turn off when you finish watching TV.

At least it turns off...the Roku TV in my bedroom has USB ports that never turn off their power!
Eclipse01 likes this.

post #21822 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:

Make sure in Settings/General/Eco Mode/HDD Eco Mode is turned On. However if your TV does the automatic pixel refresh your bias lighting will stay on until that completes.
Ricker62 and Eclipse01 like this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #21823 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Search @P40L0 - his gaming settings are very nice, they are buried in the calibration thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
For my son who only games on his 55" B7A using a PS4 Pro, can someone point me toward some good settings? Thanks
post #21824 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

I actually have that issue too except my bias lighting is plugged into a slave port on the surge protector with the TV's plug in the master. I wonder if turning off standby mode would have the bias light turn off right away after turning the TV off.

I think the standby mode, besides quicker power up, is also required to turn the TV on through app, which I won't need, so I'll prob turn it off for a try.
post #21825 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question..
I want to use HDMI control for a yamaha (ysp-5100) soundbar but not use ARC due to lip synch issues.

Can I connect optical audio from the tv to the soundbar for sound
and
connect hdmi to soundbar but use a port other than the LG ARC port (#2) so I still get the on/off/volume control on the soundbar but the audio is routed via optical??

(I have the Dish hopper going into port 4 on the back of the tv if it matters)

Thanks
post #21826 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 View Post
Quick question..
I want to use HDMI control for a yamaha (ysp-5100) soundbar but not use ARC due to lip synch issues.

Can I connect optical audio from the tv to the soundbar for sound
and
connect hdmi to soundbar but use a port other than the LG ARC port (#2) so I still get the on/off/volume control on the soundbar but the audio is routed via optical??

(I have the Dish hopper going into port 4 on the back of the tv if it matters)

Thanks
Can't hurt to just switch ports, but I don't think you have to. Think you can change sound settings in the TV to go Optical.
post #21827 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 911
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Edit - Wrong thread....my bad.
post #21828 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post
I actually have that issue too except my bias lighting is plugged into a slave port on the surge protector with the TV's plug in the master. I wonder if turning off standby mode would have the bias light turn off right away after turning the TV off.

I think the standby mode, besides quicker power up, is also required to turn the TV on through app, which I won't need, so I'll prob turn it off for a try.
I personally find this very useful

1/ as indicator when/if/how long the compensation is running

2/ gives me a few seconds to turn on the light
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #21829 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Same here...and when it turns right off, I stumble out of my home theater

post #21830 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Same here...and when it turns right off, I stumble out of my home theater
I don't have that problem because, "Hey Google, turn on the lights."
MackGuyver likes this.
post #21831 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If standby mode is turned off, does the compensation still run?
post #21832 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Would be terribly broken if it didn't.
post #21833 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Yes.

It the tv will fully power down after the cycle is done.
post #21834 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anybody noticed slow Wifi performance with this TV. Firmware updates take forever and apps like netflix are extremely slow (but ps4, apple tv etc download at expected speeds). Any thoughts?
post #21835 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm80 View Post
Has anybody noticed slow Wifi performance with this TV. Firmware updates take forever and apps like netflix are extremely slow (but ps4, apple tv etc download at expected speeds). Any thoughts?

I feel like some apps are restricted...through the web app Speedtest.net exhibited full download capabilities of my internet...roughly 114mb/s. But same things, apps download slowly and now I’m having issues streaming hdx and uhd on vudu

post #21836 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I feel like some apps are restricted...through the web app Speedtest.net exhibited full download capabilities of my internet...roughly 114mb/s. But same things, apps download slowly and now I’m having issues streaming hdx and uhd on vudu

Same here. I pull 180mbps but the Netflix app will sometimes show around 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #21837 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 50
We are having an Internet speed issue with the Netflix app in our DISH TV Hopper DVRs too. Sometimes when the speed is down we can't get the Ultra HD 4K programs selection list thru the Hopper Netflix app. Need a 25 Mbps speed for the 4K things to work correctly. Here is my equipment speed checking the Netflix app. Take notice of the speed in my Netflix OLED TV and UP970 Blu-ray player compared to my Hopper. Everything is Ethernet cable, no wireless.

Here is my latest Mbps test results:
Router 352
Hopper 238
Hopper Netflix app 18
TV Netflix app 94
Blu-Ray player Netflix app 93

DISH Network / Hopper 3 x2 / 4K Joey x2 / Wireless Joey x2
LG OLED 55C7P-U
LG UP970-N 4K Blu-ray Player
post #21838 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post

Yeah, for example it is much slower trying to stream the same movie at the same time using the LG Netflix app vs. the Apple tv Netflix app (the tv app will always keep pausing intermittently).
post #21839 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Same here. I pull 180mbps but the Netflix app will sometimes show around 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve seen poor WiFi performance on my LG (as well as on my friends AE1 ) even when positioned close to the access point. I’ve hardwired, which was always my plan, and have not had issue.
Datagg likes this.
post #21840 of 36580 Old 02-15-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm80 View Post
I've noticed the same on the internal apps...don't know why it's been running slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page