2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 788 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980427Likes

post #23611 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last night I was watching Fargo Season 3 (excellent season of an equally excellent series), and noticed during one of the exterior scenes that was grey/white outdoor snowy scene that the left side of the picture was slightly warmer than the right. Thought it might have been the content, or a reflection from elsewhere in the room. I turned off the lights in the room, and tried sitting at different spots on the couch, and angle of view changed where the warmer area was. When I sat on the left, it was on the left, on the right, if I sat on the right. Dead centre didn't do too much.

Now, I'm talking about a slight variation, but enough to be noticeable. Has anyone else noticed something like this? I tried cycling some grey slides from youtube, and noticed the same thing there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23612 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr215 View Post
Oops... sorry the pics are indeed reversed. I'll give Gamma 2.2 a try and see how it looks. It's just odd because so many people are using those settings and yet--to me at least--it's not even watchable. It looks much less pronounced in the pictures but in person it reminds me of a badly recorded VHS tape. There are times when you can't even see the persons clothes and it just looks like a floating head (if they are wearing dark clothes in a dark scene for instance). This is only apparent with poor quality content (e.g. Comcast, 1080P/720P downloaded content, etc.).
Some settings work either with each other or against each other. The stock TV settings are crap in any mode. This is a good balance: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post55037420
post #23613 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Re Cables. In addition to HDMI 2.0, I made sure they were also HDCP 2.2 compliant or is thet the same thing? To further complicate things there is now HDMI 2.0a and 2.1.

https://support.roku.com/article/230...k-hdr-content-

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hyWRuy...-hdcp-2-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23614 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvrana View Post
Last night I was watching Fargo Season 3 (excellent season of an equally excellent series), and noticed during one of the exterior scenes that was grey/white outdoor snowy scene that the left side of the picture was slightly warmer than the right. Thought it might have been the content, or a reflection from elsewhere in the room. I turned off the lights in the room, and tried sitting at different spots on the couch, and angle of view changed where the warmer area was. When I sat on the left, it was on the left, on the right, if I sat on the right. Dead centre didn't do too much.

Now, I'm talking about a slight variation, but enough to be noticeable. Has anyone else noticed something like this? I tried cycling some grey slides from youtube, and noticed the same thing there.
oled does have a slight tint/hue change at off angle viewing, always been the case
I do remember that the lg woled panel wasn't as bad as the true rgb Samsung panel, in regards to this
The Samsung had a much stronger change in red with off angle viewing
Nature of the beast in my opinion

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #23615 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
oled does have a slight tint/hue change at off angle viewing, always been the case
I do remember that the lg woled panel wasn't as bad as the true rgb Samsung panel, in regards to this
The Samsung had a much stronger change in red with off angle viewing
Nature of the beast in my opinion
Thanks! It didn't detract at all from the program, just something I noticed. A lot less noticeable than grey-ish blacks on a regular LCD TV!
5x10 likes this.
post #23616 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesalius View Post
I think those comments were relative the default OLED light for Dolby vision settings. The DV default is 50 and he thought that was too dim and bumped it to 70.

The HDR default of 100 was too bright per him and he decreased to 70. I don’t experience any eye strain at 70 and wouldn’t expect it to bother most people, but you will have to see how your eyes like it.
I have been watching The Punisher in DV on Netflix in a completely dark room on my 55C7P. The lights and sections where the camera pans to a window with daylight are almost blinding. OLED light at 35 seems comfortable, but will continue to adjust and monitor on other DV shows.
Culpepper likes this.
post #23617 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvrana View Post
Thanks! It didn't detract at all from the program, just something I noticed. A lot less noticeable than grey-ish blacks on a regular LCD TV!
Agreed! Literally the reason I went with the oled, I really wanted the 75' Sony but my current seating arrangement would expose the off angle limitations of the LCD

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #23618 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
follow the link for many/most answers http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual...nga/index.html
Thanks I did read this which is nothing more than a basic user manual, it doesn't answer my questions, I was more looking from user's answers and experiences.
For example it doesn't say anything about the gamma setting or the pixel refresher setting.
post #23619 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusmaug View Post
Thanks I did read this which is nothing more than a basic user manual, it doesn't answer my questions, I was more looking from user's answers and experiences.
For example it doesn't say anything about the gamma setting or the pixel refresher setting.
Doubt that an LG manual would discuss calibration settings - Basic info on the pixel refresher is in the menu - all settings-picture- OLED Panel Settings.

Endless post on settings in the OLED Calibration forum - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...ttings-75.html

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #23620 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Watching a 4K HDR movie (Interstellar) and most scenes look absolutely great....but when it is really dark scene, it looks overly black...like too dark and not defined enough.

I'm using the sonoftumble settings with no other calibration...TV is only a about a week old so it doesnt have a ton of hours on it.

Room is not light controlled but I've noticed this in near darkness - OLED Light is set to 40 for HDR content.
It's generally not advised to change brightness or oled light in the HDR modes. Set the oled light back to normal (100 for HDR 10 and 50 for dolby vision) and see how it is then.
nathan_h, Greg TB and alexbarbel like this.
post #23621 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamelover5122 View Post
is this tv better then its competitor the Samsung Qled? and does it get bright? also does it have any burn in issues?
Samsung QLED is no competitor of OLED. If there is any competitor of the OLED it would be the XBR-65Z9D and XBR-75Z9D......That's it, those two only....
Hyabusha, robnalex, Datagg and 3 others like this.
post #23622 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Samsung QLED is no competitor of OLED.
Kudos to Samsung for going with a name that promotes confusion between the 2 products. Surely they'll make a few extra sales.

I wasn't fooled... I knew exactly what I wanted and despite me telling the sales guy I was in a dark room setting he was still pushing the QLED. It was so much brighter and not what I was interested in. There's also something like a backlight (edge lit?) too that comes with it. I read somewhere that the QLED is basically an LCD with better colors.

At any rate, my Mom is in the market for a new TV and I already told her about QLED and OLED because she is one of the tech brain dead people that might get the names confused and buy the lesser TV.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #23623 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective TV. It seems like everyone is keeping their brightness at 50 and OLED/Contrast around ~70 for regular TV content. However, my picture seems extremely dark and I'm noticing a significant loss in picture definition for dark 1080p content. Is everyone just accepting the loss in picture definition for better blacks or should I be concerned here? I don't have Eco mode on and its not like I'm using the TV in a bright location -- its only used in a dark room with bias lighting.

I've attached a couple images to show what I mean. The first image is literally the stock Cinema(user) setting. Notice how a significant portion of the background is missing (e.g. trees are barely visible, statue lacks definition, etc.)? The second image includes the following modifications: Brightness set to 60, Dynamic Contrast set to medium, Gamma set to 1.9. Notice how there's now significant definition to the trees and statue? It's even more apparent in person. There's a mask off to the right top corner that is virtually invisible with stock settings and yet fully visible with the brighter settings.
It sounds like you're messing around with the settings a lot so it's too hard to help much. Most people go with close to stock settings with a few modifications like dropping the oled light a lot for SDR modes. Dynamic Contrast at medium seems crazy to me. I've only heard of setting dynamic contrast to low for HDR 10 modes. It should be off for all other modes.

Also, keep in mind that just because you can see more in dark scenes doesn't mean it's intended. More doesn't mean better.... especially if you're washing out the picture. Dark scenes are supposed to be dark and hard to see extreme details... just like in real life.
rlindo likes this.
post #23624 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
When I think about I how I ended up with my particular settings, I found that it was based more on what types of content I watched during the day vs. night time viewing. Most of the time you will find me watching SDR content during the day, and HDR/DV content at night. When the sun goes down, I can get the room pretty much pitch, so that would make more sense that I found myself turning down the OLED LIGHT to 70 for HDR technicolor, and raising it to 70 for DV Cinema (User) - ( 50 still just looks too dim ). Those settings are basically intended for a darker viewing environment.

For SDR, I have the OLED LIGHT set to 49, which not surprisingly works well in a med bright to bright room.

You might ask why the OLED LIGHT is lower for SDR than for HDR/DV even though that's a daytime setting? The simple answer is that SDR/HDR/DV use different scales and the HDR/DV thresholds start at a higher luminance level.

So now I can see the confusion that I may have caused. Keep in mind that my settings are generally middle range, so I think that they look great under a variety of lighting conditions. For me, it's a "set-it-and-done" kind of approach - or a happy medium.
Oh come on now sonoftumble ! You know you just love getting your meter out to do a quick tweak.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #23625 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Oops... sorry the pics are indeed reversed. I'll give Gamma 2.2 a try and see how it looks. It's just odd because so many people are using those settings and yet--to me at least--it's not even watchable. It looks much less pronounced in the pictures but in person it reminds me of a badly recorded VHS tape. There are times when you can't even see the persons clothes and it just looks like a floating head (if they are wearing dark clothes in a dark scene for instance). This is only apparent with poor quality content (e.g. Comcast, 1080P/720P downloaded content, etc.).
What's your source?

Seems to me like you might have a mismatch between the input/output range? Is your source perhaps outputting in RGB Full (0-255) and your TV is set to Limited? Check to see if switching your "Black Level" fixes things?
nathan_h and alexbarbel like this.
post #23626 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
It sounds like you're messing around with the settings a lot so it's too hard to help much. Most people go with close to stock settings with a few modifications like dropping the oled light a lot for SDR modes. Dynamic Contrast at medium seems crazy to me. I've only heard of setting dynamic contrast to low for HDR 10 modes. It should be off for all other modes.

Also, keep in mind that just because you can see more in dark scenes doesn't mean it's intended. More doesn't mean better.... especially if you're washing out the picture. Dark scenes are supposed to be dark and hard to see extreme details... just like in real life.

YES, THIS! +1 ^^^^^

Also, you'll probably want to get your contrast back up to between 80-85.

With Dynamic Contrast I use the following: SDR = Off / HDR 10 = LOW / Dolby Vision = OFF.

I only adjust the OLED light for SDR content (which I have set at 35 for my medium to dark environment). For HDR content I leave the OLED light at default (HDR 10 = 100 / Dolby Vision= 50).

These OLED displays generally don't need a lot of tweaking out of the box in order to look very good, just turn off the PowerSave/Eco mode and select one of the Cinema or Technicolor modes for each content type and do very minor adjusting from there.
nathan_h and Greg TB like this.

LG OLED65E7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Yamaha RX-A3060 / Polk Signature & SVS 5.2.2

Last edited by jamiee; 03-07-2018 at 08:06 AM.
post #23627 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I haven't had a chance to buy yet, and now I'm wondering if I should wait until the 2018's are out for the the faster processors. Does anyone agree that its worth waiting? Is anyone else waiting to pull the trigger?
post #23628 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Since this issue just started happening, I doubt the US firmware update will fix this issue, being that it is new. Unless, LG knows about it and will squeeze it in.

The more people that reach out to LG about this issue, the more aware they are.
@Gusnyc , @venus933 , @barth2 , @ChicagoChris

Are you all still experiencing gradual wifi slowdowns? I've tried rebooting my router, powering down the TV but these only provide temporary improvement and the speeds gradually slow down again.

Has anyone tried a factory reset, and if so does that improve things? I may try that but then don't want to do it again after the upcoming firmware update to fix the elevated Dolby Vision issue.
post #23629 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
It's generally not advised to change brightness or oled light in the HDR modes. Set the oled light back to normal (100 for HDR 10 and 50 for dolby vision) and see how it is then.
Except when it's advised to change it. Many of us have found that with HDR OLED light at 100, bright scenes are retina burners. Dolby Vision is fine with at OLED light at 50, but some find it "pops" more with a slightly higher setting. YMMV.
sonoftumble likes this.

Last edited by robnalex; 03-07-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #23630 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
I haven't had a chance to buy yet, and now I'm wondering if I should wait until the 2018's are out for the the faster processors. Does anyone agree that its worth waiting? Is anyone else waiting to pull the trigger?
It depends on you. If you want the series 8 now then you will pay full price but if you want to pay less you will have to wait t'ill November before the prices are at their lowest.
Culpepper likes this.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
post #23631 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
i bought a 65B7 in June but if I was in your shoes I would wait. The 8 series seem to be well priced and a few months after release could see them at really excellent value. If the new processor brings better video in terms of noise handling, motion and possibly better close to black handling then I think it will be worth the wait. I probably wouldn't be saying that if the launch price hadn't been so good.
Culpepper likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #23632 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have two of the 55" LG C7s. These are my first 4K TV's but is it me or does all 4K content have that "spanish soap opera affect" regardless of what motion rate / smoothing you turn on or off? Standard HD content seems to be fine but the 4K content looks like crap in that regard.
post #23633 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 145
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
When I think about I how I ended up with my particular settings, I found that it was based more on what types of content I watched during the day vs. night time viewing. Most of the time you will find me watching SDR content during the day, and HDR/DV content at night. When the sun goes down, I can get the room pretty much pitch, so that would make more sense that I found myself turning down the OLED LIGHT to 70 for HDR technicolor, and raising it to 70 for DV Cinema (User) - ( 50 still just looks too dim ). Those settings are basically intended for a darker viewing environment.

For SDR, I have the OLED LIGHT set to 49, which not surprisingly works well in a med bright to bright room.

You might ask why the OLED LIGHT is lower for SDR than for HDR/DV even though that's a daytime setting? The simple answer is that SDR/HDR/DV use different scales and the HDR/DV thresholds start at a higher luminance level.

So now I can see the confusion that I may have caused. Keep in mind that my settings are generally middle range, so I think that they look great under a variety of lighting conditions. For me, it's a "set-it-and-done" kind of approach - or a happy medium.
Hi peeps

I’m currently working in a production grading suite in central London.

The reference grading monitor is an Eizo ColourEdge CG318. On the wall is a LG 65 C6 with an AJA Lut box.

These monitors are set to 90 nits for SDR. Nothing is going above that level.

What is going at the moment is I’m creating a new 3D LUT for the Eizo, then have to create and match the image on the LG.

HDR I agree with you sonoftumble. You have to set luminance levels to suit the viewing environment. We already know that the EOTF (gamma) isn’t right for HDR that’s why HDR10+ is on the way. Dolby Vision on these 2017 sets out of the box is based on an assumption that the light output of these sets is consistent. They are not, they vary from panel to panel. That’s why you have the ability with the right kit to upload a Dolby Vision config file to your particular Oled to set Dolby Vision up correctly. Trying to share someone else’s settings simply won’t work as Oled light of 50 may be correct on one set, it may be 70 on another or 40 on another.

If you are not either doing your own or a having a professional calibration done, set the Oled light to suit your eyes and environment.

Contrast is another matter. Some sets clip at 100, some don’t. If they clip then contrast must come down, usually 90 sorts it but on a set not clipping, then bringing contrast down kills dark detail. If it’s clipping then the greyscale controls don’t work and displace.

LG have done a great job on the 2017 sets. They can be set up brilliantly.

This 2016 B6 in front of me now looks stunning with a proper 3D LUT.

We are at the infancy stage with HDR and there’s a long way to go 10 years or so before we get to where we’re going. (Took 20 years to get rec 709 right).

Set the luminance of your tv to suit you and your environment. Saying that, watching in a bright room forget seeing shadow detail, you simply can’t on any set, you eye simply does not work with extreme bright and dark, it takes time to align.

You should not be watching a bright contrasty blown out image. That’s not what HDR is about. With the right setup HDR looks awesome on these 2017 LG’s
nathan_h, robnalex, XBR11 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Bumtious; 03-07-2018 at 08:04 AM.
post #23634 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
I have two of the 55" LG C7s. These are my first 4K TV's but is it me or does all 4K content have that "spanish soap opera affect" regardless of what motion rate / smoothing you turn on or off? Standard HD content seems to be fine but the 4K content looks like crap in that regard.
Pretty sure it is just you, and most likely your settings. I'd try isolating to see which particular 4K content has the issues, prob best also to let us know what shows you are watching that you see the issue.

For example, there are at least 3 types of 4K content:
1. 4K only, no HDR
2. 4K + HDR10
3. 4K + Dolby Vision
nathan_h likes this.
post #23635 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I thought he said that his room was pretty bright / well-lit and that's why he set it at 70...I can try bumping it up. Will that potentially cause eye-strain?\

Thanks!
Try it and see. I don't experience any eye strain with that setting -- and I have a dim room though not "mastering suite dim" -- and I turned down the OLED panel to (IIRC) about 40 for SDR content, so I am not a brightness junkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Nope. It's just you! Or, rather, your TV settings.

What do you have toggled on and off for HDR and DV modes? (Remember you have to have HDR or DV content playing in order to adjust them, and you have to do it for each input/source, just to be sure.)
post #23636 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumtious View Post
Hi peeps

I’m currently working in a production grading suite in central London.

The reference grading monitor is an Eizo ColourEdge CG318. On the wall is a LG 65 C6 with an AJA Lut box.

These monitors are set to 90 nits for SDR. Nothing is going above that level.

What is going at the moment is I’m creating a new 3D LUT for the Eizo, then have to create and match the image on the LG.

HDR I agree with you sonoftumble. You have to luminance levels to suit the viewing environment. We already know that the EOTF (gamma) isn’t right for HDR that’s why HDR10+ is on the way. Dolby Vision on these 2017 sets out of the box is based on an assumption that the light output of these sets is consistent. They are not, they vary from panel to panel. That’s why you have the ability with the right kit to upload a Dolby Vision config file to your particular Oled to set Dolby Vision up correctly. Trying to share someone else’s settings simply won’t work as Oled light of 50 may be correct on one set, it may be 70 on another or 40 on another.

If you are not either doing your own or a having a professional calibration done, set the Oled light to suit your eyes and environment.

Contrast is another matter. Some sets clip at 100, some don’t. If they clip then contrast must come down, usually 90 sorts it but on a set not clipping, then bringing contrast down kills dark detail. If it’s clipping then the greyscale controls don’t work and displace.

LG have done a great job on the 2017 sets. They can be set up brilliantly.

This 2016 B6 in front of me now looks stunning with a proper 3D LUT.

We are at the infancy stage with HDR and there’s a long way to go 10 years or so before we get to where we’re going. (Took 20 years to get rec 709 right).

Set the luminance of your tv to suit you and your environment. Saying that, watching in a bright room forget seeing shadow detail, you simply can’t on any set, you eye simply does not work with extreme bright and dark, it takes time to align.

You should not be watching a bright contrasty blown out image. That’s not what HDR is about. With the right setup HDR looks awesome on these 2017 LG’s
Thank you for your post and contribution. I've been trying to bring back visual sanity to the small screen - especially when it comes to watching HDR content. Hopefully your post will also help to achieve that goal.
robnalex, skip61, Bumtious and 1 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #23637 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lynch View Post
How is the performance on the built-in Youtube application? Any good? I know on the x930e I would get really low connection speed compare to ChromeCast Ultra.

I'm considering returning the ChromeCast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
I haven’t had any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Works great for me as does Netflix
Seems like a YMMV situation. I get great speeds from the built in Amazon and Netflix apps. I get a wheel of spinning waiting-ness from YouTube a lot of the time, so I use an external device for YouTube.
post #23638 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Samsung QLED is no competitor of OLED. If there is any competitor of the OLED it would be the XBR-65Z9D and XBR-75Z9D......That's it, those two only....
I've got a Z9D in my lab centered between a C7 on one side, and an A1E on the other. There is a constant ( sometimes loud ) debate among the techs as to which has the better picture, and there are certain advantages PQ-wise with the Z9D over OLED's. They are all fantastic examples of the best of the best. The only disadvantage to the Z9D IMO is the price.

The Samsung QLED's are edge-lit overpriced jokes. Yes, they can get bright - as long as the dispersion lens doesn't shift during transport. Our Q9 sits in corner of the lab. Can't get anyone to take it home. At least they are going back to FALD for 2018. We'll see if they can beat a Vizio - although I doubt it.
gamermwm and BobWalters like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 03-07-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #23639 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post

I only adjust the OLED light for SDR content (which I have set at 35 for my medium to dark environment). For HDR content I leave the OLED light at default (HDR 10 = 100 / Dolby Vision= 50).

These OLED displays generally don't need a lot of tweaking out of the box in order to look very good, just turn off the PowerSave/Eco mode and select one of the Cinema or Technicolor modes for each content type and do very minor adjusting from there.
I've gotta ask though... am I the only one who runs a low OLED light setting?

I just spent 7 years with a plasma and have had my B7A for a month. I watch in a dark room setting and it's set at 16. The PQ is stunning... running expert (dark room) for SDR and Cinema (user) for HDR. I basically took the rtings.com settings and slightly tweaked them. I haven't experimented with Technicolor yet.

Anyways, it's all good... just seems like every post I see people are running their light at 50-100 and mine is 16. Hope I'm not missing too much.

P.S.

Wanting to protect against BI doesn't have a thing to do with my choice... I just don't care for bright displays.

Quote:
The Samsung QLED's are edge-lit overpriced jokes.
I certainly wasn't impressed... but I went straight from plasma to OLED... skipping everything in between... (LCD I think?)

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7

Last edited by TravisPNW; 03-07-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: ... added quote
post #23640 of 36418 Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I've gotta ask though... am I the only one who runs a low OLED light setting?

I just spent 7 years with a plasma and have had my B7A for a month. I watch in a dark room setting and it's set at 16. The PQ is stunning... running expert (dark room) for SDR and Cinema (user) for HDR. I basically took the rtings.com settings and slightly tweaked them. I haven't experimented with Technicolor yet.

Anyways, it's all good... just seems like every post I see people are running their light at 50-100 and mine is 16. Hope I'm not missing too much.

P.S.

Wanting to protect against BI doesn't have a thing to do with my choice... I just don't care for bright displays.
I run about 30-35 on most sources (except HDR of course which puts it at 100)

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page