2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 790 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980850Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23671 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,882
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that. Odd that it didn't seem to be a problem until recently. Anyone else out there SUCCESSFULLY using 5 Ghz wifi access for their OLED, without problems?
Odd...I was having issues with our 2.4GHz network and switched to our 5GHz radio and my rebuffering issue went away with the Dolby Vision app...

I do live in a pretty congested apartment building but the TV is literally directly above the router so I don't think its a signal quality or interference issue.

Josh
lax01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23672 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
The blooming was your eyes (image retention), not the panel


Hmmm, I think you are speaking of display calibration (your repeated use of “workflows”) and not abandoning SMPTE 2084..... unless you’re speaking of HLG which I’ve known about for two years now and is already available via DirecTV.
LOL! I'm pretty certain that my receptors were on overload by the time the credits started to roll. Except for the glow around the credits, the rest of the screen was jet black.

It's not HLG, although it is complementary to HLG as well as any of the HDR formats. It's not just about calibrators or calibrating - although both will benefit. It starts at the colorist level and extends through the entire production workflow ( there I go again with the "w" word ). The only other thing I can say is that it will create a platform that will cause an amazing proliferation of HDR content. And I'm not talking about fake/processed/enhanced HDR, but the real deal with real world luminance response and management.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #23673 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,625
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Odd...I was having issues with our 2.4GHz network and switched to our 5GHz radio and my rebuffering issue went away with the Dolby Vision app...

I do live in a pretty congested apartment building but the TV is literally directly above the router so I don't think its a signal quality or interference issue.
The 2.4 GHz band is slower and more prone to interference but has stronger signal strength.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23674 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,764
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked: 4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LOL! I'm pretty certain that my receptors were on overload by the time the credits started to roll. Except for the glow around the credits, the rest of the screen was jet black.
I see this effect sometimes. However, my point is by engineering definition, OLEDs don’t bloom. That would mean you have subpixel light leakage. What really is going on is IR in your eye (correcting IR from your brain processing information from your eye). I remember a similar conversation at one of the “Golden Year’s” Flat Panel Shootouts where Dr. Larry Weber corrected Joe Kane on the same topic.

Quote:
It's not HLG, although it is complementary to HLG as well as any of the HDR formats. It's not just about calibrators or calibrating - although both will benefit. It starts at the colorist level and extends through the entire production workflow ( there I go again with the "w" word ). The only other thing I can say is that it will create a platform that will cause an amazing proliferation of HDR content. And I'm not talking about fake/processed/enhanced HDR, but the real deal with real world luminance response and management.
Sounds like calibrating in gamma space and then applying PQ..... CalMan. Otherwise, I’ve heard nothing of this.
nathan_h likes this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #23675 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
blackjackmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Thanks, it looks like rentals would be more common here. The $20-$25 range is pretty much double my comfort level. At 78 yrs old, I have not found a reason to buy if there's a rental to be had. One of our sons gets stuff from Redbox, but he didn't know if they have 4K/DV discs or not.

I could drop by BB tomorrow and kick the tires on the 970, it's not far from our joint.
If you have a Family Video store near you (small regional chain) , they are renting 4k for the same price as Blu-ray Discs.
gamermwm and Eclipse01 like this.

LG OLED65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K
blackjackmark is online now  
post #23676 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Odd...I was having issues with our 2.4GHz network and switched to our 5GHz radio and my rebuffering issue went away with the Dolby Vision app...

I do live in a pretty congested apartment building but the TV is literally directly above the router so I don't think its a signal quality or interference issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
The 2.4 GHz band is slower and more prone to interference but has stronger signal strength.
To add to what @venus933 said, because the 2.4Ghz band has a better range, the chances that your neighbors will also be using the same radio channel as you are very high. That means you will all be stepping on each others' data signals, slowing each other down with transmission errors caused by this interference. With the 5Ghz band, the limited range will definitely help prevent the same types of interference issues. Attached is an example of my neighborhood which is a housing tract. An apartment complex would most likely look about 10 times more crowded.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #23677 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,940
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3386 Post(s)
Liked: 4167
^^^I saw no difference in mine when switching between the two...my internal apps are still sluggish for some reason.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #23678 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Member
 
golferdad50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that. Odd that it didn't seem to be a problem until recently. Anyone else out there SUCCESSFULLY using 5 Ghz wifi access for their OLED, without problems?
I am using the 5 GHZ wifi access on my 65C7 without any issues (streaming Netflix, HULU, Amazon and Youtube).

LG 65C7
Bose ST300
LG UP970
Xfinity XG1v4
golferdad50 is offline  
post #23679 of 37463 Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 265
For those using wireless you may want to try "Quality of Service" (QoS).. Most routers allow this and some even allow automatic assignment based on household use of each client (Netgear). In a nutshell, Qos allows more power to go to clients you wish to receive more of your bandwidth. Say you have a house with 6 clients on your wireless. They are all fighting with each other to get the most, but say 3 or more basically need very little to work and stealing from the important clients. In contrast your streaming devices etc need allot of bandwidth. With Qos you can adjust and allocate more speed to items that need it the most when needed.

Best to read up on this feature for your own particular setup as they all differ some on there design, yet all shoot to achieve the same end goal and that is to give top priority of your bandwidth to hungry clients when needed and back-off on the ones that don't. Worth a shot for you guys having issues. Good Luck.
PlasmaHiDef and sonoftumble like this.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 03-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Datagg is offline  
post #23680 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
nakkiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Unf-ingbelievable: my Samsung's LED panel has stopped working ONE week after the warranty expired!!!

Last Samsung I ever buy

I might claim from insurance, then add the difference to get a 55C7

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub
nakkiran is online now  
post #23681 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^^^I saw no difference in mine when switching between the two...my internal apps are still sluggish for some reason.
Have you tried unplugging it for a few minutes?
Kenbar is offline  
post #23682 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,940
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3386 Post(s)
Liked: 4167
Yeah, I tried it, but no dice...im having most issues with streaming hdr for some reason.
Kenbar likes this.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #23683 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Unf-ingbelievable: my Samsung's LED panel has stopped working ONE week after the warranty expired!!!

Last Samsung I ever buy

I might claim from insurance, then add the difference to get a 55C7
Interesting point this because here in the UK consumer law says that a TV should last for at least six years, no matter what the manufacturers warranty says. If a manufacturer tries not to play ball on that then a simple trip to The Small Claims County Court should see you win the case provided it was a fault with the TV that saw it's demise.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #23684 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Unf-ingbelievable: my Samsung's LED panel has stopped working ONE week after the warranty expired!!!

Last Samsung I ever buy

I might claim from insurance, then add the difference to get a 55C7
If that works...the 2018's Oleds will be out soon. Just saying...
Kenbar is offline  
post #23685 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I've gotten a new 65C7. It was delivered yesterday and I am impressed. I think I won the panel lottery and don't see any banding. I'm still playing with the motion settings some but I had tried two Sony 930's and both had problems and the dolby vision on the internal apps was not good at all. HDR looked great. This oled is beautiful when playing DV and worth the difference in price in my opinion! The internal sound is pretty decent too, as I don't have it hooked to my sound system yet.

I have a new Oppo 203 and I was wondering what anyone with the same has their resolution set at?
The choices are auto, custom (UHD Auto), and source direct.
Check here recommended/default is auto (page 49) http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP2...GLISH_V1.0.pdf

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
post #23686 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 03:33 AM
Senior Member
 
sgr215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocirahl View Post
What's your source?

Seems to me like you might have a mismatch between the input/output range? Is your source perhaps outputting in RGB Full (0-255) and your TV is set to Limited? Check to see if switching your "Black Level" fixes things?
Good call! I noticed the issue was only present on a specific device -- my Zappiti 4K Mini HDR (which just so happens to be what I used the most). Anyhow, the same Survivor scene on my FireTV and cable box looked absolutely perfect with the suggested TV settings posted earlier in the thread. I ended up contacting the manufacturer and they told me "Black Level" should be set to "High" on LG OLED TV's because the unit defaults to RGB Full (0-255). After switching this setting, the picture looks fantastic.
sgr215 is offline  
post #23687 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah, I tried it, but no dice...im having most issues with streaming hdr for some reason.
Hmm...well, maybe buy a streaming stick...if no solution can be found? Wonder what's going on...I had thought maybe something was running in the background. But I would think unplugging it would have cleared that up...so..I don't know.
Kenbar is offline  
post #23688 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
jamiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah, I tried it, but no dice...im having most issues with streaming hdr for some reason.
Same here, very inconsistent streaming performance mostly from the Dolby Vision app but quite often the internal YouTube app as well on 4K SDR and HDR content.
Netflix and Prime seem OK for the most part. I do find it interesting that this all started maybe within the last two months... Prior to that streaming content on my E7 was a breeze.

BTW, I'm using Ethernet connection from my router to the TV, not Wi-Fi and my internet connection is more than capable at 500Mbps down (averages between 420Mbps up to 600Mbps depending on time of day and traffic loads).

LG OLED65E7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Yamaha RX-A3060 / Polk Signature & SVS 5.2.2
jamiee is offline  
post #23689 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
To add to what @venus933 said, because the 2.4Ghz band has a better range, the chances that your neighbors will also be using the same radio channel as you are very high. That means you will all be stepping on each others' data signals, slowing each other down with transmission errors caused by this interference. With the 5Ghz band, the limited range will definitely help prevent the same types of interference issues. Attached is an example of my neighborhood which is a housing tract. An apartment complex would most likely look about 10 times more crowded.
Hellow_Crow has a nice little neighborhood footprint
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #23690 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 870
My 802.11ac router is about 18 inches from the TV... and I'm on the 5ghz band and Comcast Blast 250mb/10mb. I haven't actually done a speed test on the TV but checking it on my PC/tablet and phone all show anywhere from 200-300mb download speeds depending on time of day.

The TV loads up Netflix UHD shows in about 3 seconds flat. I haven't seen a need to bypass the wifi with a cable.

I haven't read every post but is there something I'm missing? Is the TV limited in speed?

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #23691 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Hellow_Crow has a nice little neighborhood footprint
LOL That's my setup. I've got a mesh WiFi network that manages client load balancing and roaming within the house. Everywhere you go there's a stronger signal than my neighbors which keeps interference to a minimum. I also forced the the access points to take a channel that was not as crowded or the neighboring access point was farther away with a weaker signal. I can also designate which devices ( i.e. AppleTV, LG TV, etc. ) are allowed to jump on the 5Gz radio and which do not. You don't need 5Gz to surf or check email.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #23692 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,437
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked: 7713
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
I actually just ended up going to Costco and exchanging the 55 for 65. Hopefully there will be another price drop before the 90 day return policy ends 😛
Well that will be a choice that will make you very happy within this whole coming year
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #23693 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post
Same here, very inconsistent streaming performance mostly from the Dolby Vision app but quite often the internal YouTube app as well on 4K SDR and HDR content.
Netflix and Prime seem OK for the most part. I do find it interesting that this all started maybe within the last two months... Prior to that streaming content on my E7 was a breeze.

BTW, I'm using Ethernet connection from my router to the TV, not Wi-Fi and my internet connection is more than capable at 500Mbps down (averages between 420Mbps up to 600Mbps depending on time of day and traffic loads).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
My 802.11ac router is about 18 inches from the TV... and I'm on the 5ghz band and Comcast Blast 250mb/10mb. I haven't actually done a speed test on the TV but checking it on my PC/tablet and phone all show anywhere from 200-300mb download speeds depending on time of day.

The TV loads up Netflix UHD shows in about 3 seconds flat. I haven't seen a need to bypass the wifi with a cable.

I haven't read every post but is there something I'm missing? Is the TV limited in speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah, I tried it, but no dice...im having most issues with streaming hdr for some reason.
@Cam1977 will get a chuckle out of this, but if you get one of those new fangled AppleTV 4K's, your streaming troubles will be a thing of the past . . . unless your network sucks - then nothing will help.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #23694 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
but if you get one of those new fangled AppleTV 4K's, your streaming troubles will be a thing of the past . . . unless your network sucks - then nothing will help.
I've actually got an ATV4K... but 99% of what I use it for is to stream movies from my iTunes digital library that I store on my PC to the TV. Streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon) I use on the TV and as said, don't have any problems even with UHD content.

Good network here. Still, I should probably fool around with the ATV more. I hear it's pretty good.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #23695 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jamiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
My 802.11ac router is about 18 inches from the TV... and I'm on the 5ghz band and Comcast Blast 250mb/10mb. I haven't actually done a speed test on the TV but checking it on my PC/tablet and phone all show anywhere from 200-300mb download speeds depending on time of day.

The TV loads up Netflix UHD shows in about 3 seconds flat. I haven't seen a need to bypass the wifi with a cable.

I haven't read every post but is there something I'm missing? Is the TV limited in speed?

The Network device in these TV's isn't Gigabit and is limited to a theoretical max of 100Mb/s (most people seem to be getting around 90MB/s). It's enough for today's 4K HDR streaming, but I'm sure we'll be closer to needing Gigabit for 8K HDR and above - which isn't too far off really.

LG OLED65E7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Yamaha RX-A3060 / Polk Signature & SVS 5.2.2

Last edited by jamiee; 03-09-2018 at 04:49 AM.
jamiee is offline  
post #23696 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I finally gave in an got an Apple TV and hardwired it into a AP that sits below my TV. I have tested multiple ways (2ghz/5ghz/QoS, its own SSID,etc) and I have plenty of bandwidth in my house.

The internal apps for me just can't hold a connection over wi fi. i tried the ATV over wi fi and i have zero issues. That, for me, points to the way the B7A is handling wi fi. I am glad there is a solution and i know that not everyone is running into it but some of us (Cam1977, PlasmaHiDef etc) are seeing flaky wi fi.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #23697 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post
..... It's just enough for today's 4K HDR streaming, but I'm sure we'll need Gigabit for 8K HDR and above - which isn't too far off really.

It is way faster than “just enough.” For example 4k HDR DV from iTunes needs about 25mpbs. Netflix, which is more compressed, uses 14mbps. I don’t know what the numbers are for Amazon or Vudu but I suspect they are less than 50mbps. Not sure what a totally uncompressed bit rate would be but noone streams that.
Ruppgu and TravisPNW like this.
rsonnens is online now  
post #23698 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post
The Network device in these TV's isn't Gigabit and is limited to a theoretical max of 100Mb/s (most people seem to be getting around 90MB/s). It's just enough for today's 4K HDR streaming, but I'm sure we'll need Gigabit for 8K HDR and above - which isn't too far off really.
Ahhhh... thanks for the info. Didn't know that.

I'm more into buying 4k discs anyway (got 40+ already in a month of ownership) because I read that the PQ is better due to streaming compression. (I don't pretend to be an expert LOL) At any rate, the Netflix UHD content I've looked at has still looked pretty good but if the TV is gimped in streaming future content that will be all the more reason to continue buying discs.

I read somewhere recently that UHD discs aren't expected to take off like 1080p BR discs did back in the day due to the fact there is more streaming content now than was available then. Makes sense... more streaming, less discs. I'll still buy them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
It is way faster than “just enough.” For example 4k HDR DV from iTunes needs about 25mpbs. Netflix, which is more compressed, uses 14mbps. I don’t know what the numbers are for Amazon or Vudu but I suspect they are less than 50mbps. Not sure what a totally uncompressed bit rate would be but noone streams that.
Now that I think about it... I read that too. 25mb recommended for 4k HDR content. Thanks for the info! Seems like the TV might not be as gimped as it seems.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #23699 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I finally gave in an got an Apple TV and hardwired it into a AP that sits below my TV. I have tested multiple ways (2ghz/5ghz/QoS, its own SSID,etc) and I have plenty of bandwidth in my house.



The internal apps for me just can't hold a connection over wi fi. i tried the ATV over wi fi and i have zero issues. That, for me, points to the way the B7A is handling wi fi. I am glad there is a solution and i know that not everyone is running into it but some of us (Cam1977, PlasmaHiDef etc) are seeing flaky wi fi.


Yea, something has been broken from the start. I am suspecting it is the antenna in he set.

If it makes you feel better the Sony AE1 is just as bad if not worse. It is worse because it you get their browser installed and run a speed test the processor is to slow to give you a correct numbers as it churns to update the display with the values. (Their browser is 10% totally unusable...if you can even figure out how to install their browser!)
rsonnens is online now  
post #23700 of 37463 Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I've actually got an ATV4K... but 99% of what I use it for is to stream movies from my iTunes digital library that I store on my PC to the TV. Streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon) I use on the TV and as said, don't have any problems even with UHD content.

Good network here. Still, I should probably fool around with the ATV more. I hear it's pretty good.
It's really good, especially on the iTunes library side. There's a ton of DV and HDR content and the pricing ( rental or purchase ) is the same as the HD/SDR versions. There is a recent video from Vincent in which he compares the AppleTV 4K playing DV content vs. the actual DV Blu-ray on an Oppo 203, and the differences were almost negligible. You had to freeze a frame to notice the difference, and even then it was minute. That video changed my whole attitude about my "must have the disc version" in order to be happy with the PQ.

Another cool thing that Apple does is to automatically upgrade certain titles in my existing library to 4K HDR when they become available in that format. I installed the digital copy of Interstellar ( SDR/HD ) about a year ago. Then one day last Dec., I decided to watch it on my AppleTV 4K rather than bust out the 1080P Blu-ray - and low and behold - it was now in 4K DV!! Free! You just can't beat that kind of customer service. Do you think Vudu will ever do that? Personally, I doubt it.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off