2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 876 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980524Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26251 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Newbie
 
malsbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, I have to be honest I didn't go back and read through all 26250 previous posts in this thread, but I wanted to drop in and say that I picked up an LG OLED 55" B7A last Friday. I had a great weekend setting it up and getting the display dialed in. I know this might seems odd, but it was a perfect drop in replacement to the home theater I set up in 2003, and fit perfectly on the stand that has held my beast of a 34" JVC CRT Flat Screen 16:9 CRT for the past 15 years. It's the first display that I've seen in person that made me want to give up the true blacks of my CRT.

Streaming 4k HDR and Dolby Vision content from built in Nextflix and YouTube apps is amazing. I find that the video and audio seem to stream better from my hardware FireTV (Gen2) box than from the internal Amazon app. A Samsung UHD Bluray player and some UHD discs will be arriving from Amazon this evening, so I can't wait to see what playback of local 4K HDR media looks like.

The added bonus is with all the HDMI ports on the LG OLED I can run all my equipment straight to it and then feed the optical audio out from the LG OLED to my old Sony AVR to do the surround decoding to my 7.2 speaker setup. It eliminated my HDMI switch that used to collect all my HDMI components and strip out the audio to my AVR via optical and the video out via DVI to the CRT.

Fifteen years may seem like an eternity to wait to upgrade a display, but I think it was worth it.

-mals
robnalex, XBR11, Datagg and 3 others like this.

Last edited by malsbury; 04-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.
malsbury is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26252 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I only own Thor Ragnarok via streaming (Vudu UHD). I get 100Mbs and it looked incredible. I can't imagine the disc looks better than the built-in app but I'm sure to some it does. #ignoranceisbliss

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is online now  
post #26253 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Amen, just look around, physical media has been on the way out, it's only a matter of time!
Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to be gone. The fact DVDs are still around says a lot about how long physical media will be here... in addition to the declining but still astronomical sales numbers.

I'm sure ISPs are licking their chops though waiting for physical media to be gone so they can jack up internet rates with data caps.
ataneruo and Neoshinta like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26254 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by malsbury View Post
So, I have to be honest I didn't go back and read through all 26250 previous posts in this thread, but I wanted to drop in and say that I picked up an LG OLED 55" B7A last Friday. I had a great weekend setting it up and getting the display dialed in. I know this might seems odd, but it was a perfect drop in replacement to the home theater I set up in 2003, and fit perfectly on the stand that has held my beast of a 34" JVC CRT Flat Screen CRT for the past 15 years. It's the first display that I've seen in person that made me want to give up the true blacks of my CRT.

Streaming 4k HDR and Dolby Vision content from built in Nextflix and YouTube apps is amazing. I find that the video and audio seem to stream better from my hardware FireTV (Gen2) box than from the internal Amazon app. A Samsung UHD Bluray player and some UHD discs will be arriving from Amazon this evening, so I can't wait to see what playback of local 4K HDR media looks like.

The added bonus is with all the HDMI ports on the LG OLED I can run all my equipment straight to it and then feed the optical audio out from the LG OLED to my old Sony AVR to do the surround decoding to my 7.2 speaker setup. It eliminated my HDMI switch that used to collect all my HDMI components and strip out the audio to my AVR via optical and the video out via DVI to the CRT.

Fifteen years may seem like an eternity to wait to upgrade a display, but I think it was worth it.

-mals
Wow! CRT to OLED! Most of us are upgrading from plasmas. My first HDTV was a behemoth 40" Sony KV-40XBR700. It weighed 300+ lbs!



You gotta admit, that was one sexy design for a monster 4:3 CRT!
smoore, malsbury, D1zzl3 and 2 others like this.
robnalex is offline  
post #26255 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by malsbury View Post

Fifteen years may seem like an eternity to wait to upgrade a display, but I think it was worth it.

-mals
I only waited about 7 years to upgrade my plasma. Welcome to the club.
malsbury and MrRobotoPlus like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26256 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
zinfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to be gone. The fact DVDs are still around says a lot about how long physical media will be here... in addition to the declining but still astronomical sales numbers.

I'm sure ISPs are licking their chops though waiting for physical media to be gone so they can jack up internet rates with data caps.
Don't need to hold my breath, I cannot recall the last time I used physical media. My computers don't have optical drives (although I do have a USB optical drive just in case, but it has gathered dust for quite some time), and I don't have an optical player (CD/DVD, BD) connected to my TV.

My TV content is via Direct TV, or streamed via Roku Ultra, or ATV4K. I don't collect content such as movies, etc, and I'm not a gamer. Once I've seen something, as a rule, I don't care to see it again, so I rent content instead of buying it.

Streaming is getting better, and I have a fast connection, so I don't have need for physical media, aside from backup drives and the memory cards in my cameras. It's liberating! YMMV
zinfella is offline  
post #26257 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HD-Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I rip all of my own physical media for streaming delivery via Plex. 25TB of data so far.
Ricker62 and Neoshinta like this.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
HD-Master is offline  
post #26258 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Don't need to hold my breath, I cannot recall the last time I used physical media. My computers don't have optical drives (although I do have a USB optical drive just in case, but it has gathered dust for quite some time), and I don't have an optical player (CD/DVD, BD) connected to my TV.

My TV content is via Direct TV, or streamed via Roku Ultra, or ATV4K. I don't collect content such as movies, etc, and I'm not a gamer. Once I've seen something, as a rule, I don't care to see it again, so I rent content instead of buying it.

Streaming is getting better, and I have a fast connection, so I don't have need for physical media, aside from backup drives and the memory cards in my cameras. It's liberating! YMMV
Cool story bro! Streaming is perfect for watch something once people like yourself! You're good to go!
ataneruo likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26259 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
Already debated : the real subject is not about game mode versus standard mode. It is about game mode versus cinema mode.



Cinema mode has active hdr , resolves details better than game mode and has better colour.



If you are not into FPS that need low input lag, cinema is the better choice.


Except it suffers from high input lag that matters in more than just fps games. I would never be able to do the same platform if with that much lag in a game like Mario odyssey. The question was about game mode and it won’t be changed to be brighter like standard. Or how it was before the update changed it.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #26260 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Cool story bro! Streaming is perfect for watch something once people like yourself! You're good to go!
For penny pinchers though (me).... the cost to rent via streaming is far too high imo. When I rent a UHD, I would rather go to family video and rent it for half the cost to rent on vudu. Saying all that makes me feel old but hey... it's cheaper and better quality. Sounds like a win-win. Streaming rentals is about 50% higher than it should be imo.
ataneruo, Neoshinta and TravisPNW like this.
Ruppgu is offline  
post #26261 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
For penny pinchers though (me).... the cost to rent via streaming is far too high imo. When I rent a UHD, I would rather go to family video and rent it for half the cost to rent on vudu. Saying all that makes me feel old but hey... it's cheaper and better quality. Sounds like a win-win. Streaming rentals is about 50% higher than it should be imo.
I agree.

I remember visiting a movie gallery store about 10 years ago and paying $3 for rentals... streaming rental costs are a bit high IMO. I just saw a few on VUDU and $5.99 for 1080p and $7.99 for UHD is just as ridiculous as the digital movies on iTunes. At least with buying the disc I get the digital copy.

I've rented a couple from VUDU so far... my .99 intro rental and got a email the other day for a $1.99 rental that I used last night on I, Tonya which was an amazing movie. I'm ok with $3-$4 rentals but not much beyond that.
Neoshinta likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26262 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,949
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6861 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by malsbury View Post
So, I have to be honest I didn't go back and read through all 26250 previous posts in this thread, but I wanted to drop in and say that I picked up an LG OLED 55" B7A last Friday. I had a great weekend setting it up and getting the display dialed in. I know this might seems odd, but it was a perfect drop in replacement to the home theater I set up in 2003, and fit perfectly on the stand that has held my beast of a 34" JVC CRT Flat Screen 16:9 CRT for the past 15 years. It's the first display that I've seen in person that made me want to give up the true blacks of my CRT.

Fifteen years may seem like an eternity to wait to upgrade a display, but I think it was worth it.
Congrats, I am sure you will love it.......
malsbury and Neoshinta like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #26263 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Except it suffers from high input lag that matters in more than just fps games. I would never be able to do the same platform if with that much lag in a game like Mario odyssey. The question was about game mode and it won’t be changed to be brighter like standard. Or how it was before the update changed it.
Really ?
I never had any problem with any of my PS4 Pro games, even with fast paced games.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #26264 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
zinfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I agree.

I remember visiting a movie gallery store about 10 years ago and paying $3 for rentals... streaming rental costs are a bit high IMO. I just saw a few on VUDU and $5.99 for 1080p and $7.99 for UHD is just as ridiculous as the digital movies on iTunes. At least with buying the disc I get the digital copy.

I've rented a couple from VUDU so far... my .99 intro rental and got a email the other day for a $1.99 rental that I used last night on I, Tonya which was an amazing movie. I'm ok with $3-$4 rentals but not much beyond that.
On the other side of that, there's the convenience factor of streaming, plus the part concerning the expense of retrieving and returning the media. I love my OLED, but, I'm not looking for the last 5% of PQ. Not only that, and this admission could get me banned, I don't have to see new content when it's first released.

Indeed, I'm perfectly comfortable waiting for most content to come via Netflix, etc.
robnalex and Culpepper like this.
zinfella is offline  
post #26265 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Indeed, I'm perfectly comfortable waiting for most content to come via Netflix, etc.
Whatever floats your boat if you've got all the time in the world to wait. I can't say I'm that way though... and it's because Netflix doesn't get every new release... and the movies they do have changes on a monthly basis.

I've been a Netflix subscriber since they first went to streaming many years ago... and yes, it's convenient but I most certainly would not look to Netflix for all the latest releases.

Either way... $15 a month is chump change to stream whatever they have currently available.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26266 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HD-Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
Really ?

I never had any problem with any of my PS4 Pro games, even with fast paced games.


It really isn’t an issue. The difference in lag is incredibly small. Any gains in game mode are basically a placebo effect.
ataneruo likes this.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
HD-Master is offline  
post #26267 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
It really isn’t an issue. The difference in lag is incredibly small. Any gains in game mode are basically a placebo effect.
I agree.
And when you see the gains picture wise of the cinema mode, it is a no brainer which to choose.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #26268 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
On the other side of that, there's the convenience factor of streaming, plus the part concerning the expense of retrieving and returning the media. I love my OLED, but, I'm not looking for the last 5% of PQ. Not only that, and this admission could get me banned, I don't have to see new content when it's first released.

Indeed, I'm perfectly comfortable waiting for most content to come via Netflix, etc.
this weekend, I bought the newest Star Wars off of iTunes
So convenient!
Movie was meh though

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
5x10 is online now  
post #26269 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
this weekend, I bought the newest Star Wars off of iTunes
So convenient!
Movie was meh though
UHD? What'd you pay?

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26270 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
zinfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Whatever floats your boat if you've got all the time in the world to wait. I can't say I'm that way though... and it's because Netflix doesn't get every new release... and the movies they do have changes on a monthly basis.

I've been a Netflix subscriber since they first went to streaming many years ago... and yes, it's convenient but I most certainly would not look to Netflix for all the latest releases.

Either way... $15 a month is chump change to stream whatever they have currently available.
True, but I'm not interested in every new release. For content that can't be found on Netflix or Amazon, etc, if it interests me in the first place, I can usually rent it, an admitted last resort. However, I am curious about your remark about "having all the time in the world to wait" So what happens if you don't see content immediately, or within what I would term an arbitrary time period? I have to admit that I've not seen any ill effects from doing that for nearly 80 years. But then different strokes for different folks.
Culpepper likes this.
zinfella is offline  
post #26271 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
UHD? What'd you pay?
yes, $19.99, although I had $10 in iTunes gift cards

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
5x10 is online now  
post #26272 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
Really ?

I never had any problem with any of my PS4 Pro games, even with fast paced games.


Yeah it just feels off to me. I guess cause I’m so used to low lag.
Neoshinta likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #26273 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
It really isn’t an issue. The difference in lag is incredibly small. Any gains in game mode are basically a placebo effect.


It’s 1.5frames of lag or almost 3. That’s a very big delay difference.
Neoshinta likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #26274 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
However, I am curious about your remark about "having all the time in the world to wait" So what happens if you don't see content immediately, or within what I would term an arbitrary time period? I have to admit that I've not seen any ill effects from doing that for nearly 80 years. But then different strokes for different folks.
I was just talking about the fact that some titles will never appear on Netflix... so hopefully that isn't your go to source.

I don't have that problem because if I want a new release disc I'll just buy it from Amazon or BB. I'm not all in on streaming only yet though. I've got nearly 350 digital movies and all have come from discs... either the code I got with purchase or ripping/encoding via MakeMKV/Handbrake my own blue rays into a digital file. I've got a 4TB storage drive on my PC that I stream movies from via iTunes. When I want to watch on the OLED... I load the disc. When I want to watch on the iPad Pro or plasma while laying in bed... I stream from my digital library.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
yes, $19.99, although I had $10 in iTunes gift cards
Nothing wrong with that... it's definitely convenient. For me though I find it more convenient (in the case of this movie) to pay the extra $5 and get the UHD disc, 1080p disc, and digital copy. With some movies the digital cost vs the disc costs are the same... so it makes even more sense to get all for the same price.

To each their own. I never shop in store... I have Amazon or BB ship to my door. Very convenient.
5x10 and Neoshinta like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26275 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
zinfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
this weekend, I bought the newest Star Wars off of iTunes
So convenient!
Movie was meh though
I find that to be the case far too often nowadays. It grates on me to support less than good content, in fact it just guarantees more of the same.

If you wanna talk about ripoffs, look at the cost of going to a theater! Its used to be that you got 2 movies, a cartoon, a newsreel, and maybe a serial or other short for your money. That was a better value then what is offered today.
ataneruo, 5x10 and TravisPNW like this.
zinfella is offline  
post #26276 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

If you wanna talk about ripoffs, look at the cost of going to a theater! Its used to be that you got 2 movies, a cartoon, a newsreel, and maybe a serial or other short for your money. That was a better value then what is offered today.
Hahah.. no kidding! I'll never go to a theater again.

It's a much better experience to wait for the disc and watch at home. Cheaper too.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #26277 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
All this renting talk made me reminisce some. Gosh im old.
We sure have come a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blockb.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	2387588  

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
Datagg is offline  
post #26278 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Hahah.. no kidding! I'll never go to a theater again.

It's a much better experience to wait for the disc and watch at home. Cheaper too.
Agreed. Yet from time to time its nice to get away from life or the the kids in this case, head to the big screen and suck down some theater popcorn. Wife and i did that just yesterday and saw Tomb Raider. Great movie. After it was done I said wow this gonna look great on the OLED. I immediately got that why do you need to see it again look. The pressure is real....
Neoshinta and TravisPNW like this.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
Datagg is offline  
post #26279 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
All this renting talk made me reminisce some. Gosh im old.
We sure have come a long way.
I miss BB. I used to go there with my girlfriend, arguing for which movie to pick up and then getting ice cream and M&M's. And sometimes talking about movies with other couples around. Really missing it.
smoore, PeeJHooK, ataneruo and 3 others like this.
MrRobotoPlus is offline  
post #26280 of 36727 Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
All this renting talk made me reminisce some. Gosh im old.
We sure have come a long way.
Haha yep... I'm surprised family video is still open to be honest. It's on my way home from work and they have UHD's for much cheaper than streaming though! It's a no brainer for me... especially considering I have an Atmos set up and typically the sound for streaming leaves me wanting more.
Ruppgu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off