2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 879 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980701Likes

post #26341 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Thursday evening has been confirmed for my calibration on my 65" B7A. I am really excited. I have been looking forward to it since day one. This will be the third TV to be calibrated by my calibrator Doug Weil. He recently got back from touring so the timing is perfect.
Let me know what he charges and PM me if he's ever in the Seattle metro area... I'm interested in getting mine done but Google searches have been worthless. Every company I've pulled up is either out of business or has horrible reviews.

If anyone else reading this has any connections please feel free to let me know. I was contacted once a few weeks back on this forum by a "touring calibrator" who told me to PM him and then never responded... twice.... despite being active on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Everyone needs to take a chill pill.
Wasn't never upset. I only mentioned my PC because the other guy had asked what it took to get started ripping...

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26342 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Let me know what he charges and PM me if he's ever in the Seattle metro area... I'm interested in getting mine done but Google searches have been worthless. Every company I've pulled up is either out of business or has horrible reviews.

If anyone else reading this has any connections please feel free to let me know. I was contacted once a few weeks back on this forum by a "touring calibrator" who told me to PM him and then never responded... twice.... despite being active on the forums.

Wasn't never upset. I only mentioned my PC because the other guy had asked what it took to get started ripping...
Sorry Travis. Accidentally quoted you.
TravisPNW likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #26343 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
On your AppleTV 4K, under Settings/Video Settings - make sure that you have Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching set to On. At that point, you will see the TV change to the HDR badge when HDR content is playing. ( Amazon Prime is a good source for HDR.) SDR is simply content that is not HDR. It can be found when watching any non-HDR source including cable/sat/broadcast as well as HBO GO among other apps on the AppleTV 4K. iTunes Movies have a good selection of DV, HDR, and SDR content. I have DirecTV 4K and I get HLG HDR on the 4k channels.
Excellent, thanks so much for the help!!

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26344 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry Travis. Accidentally quoted you.
No prob... and that's WAS never upset. LOL
sonoftumble likes this.

post #26345 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Does anyone else use sports as there preferred picture mode?
post #26346 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
^^^I haven't heard of anyone using that mode...although it's not an accurate pq setting, if it looks good to you that's what matters.
post #26347 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7278 Post(s)
Liked: 7312
Quote:
Two best guy's to get a calibration from are Chad B [email protected] D-nice is : [email protected] . Email them no matter where ya live as you never know where they may be.... Get a party of 5 people in your area who need calibrations they will usually come to you.

If all else fails master list :

http://www.thxvideotech.com/forum/sh...deo-Calibrator

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058269
post #26348 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
1. Does the law in US allow me to rip a copy of my own blu rays and 4ks to use at home? I don't want to something that is illegal

2. I read something about UHD discs being encrypted and as of May 2017 no own had broken the encryption. Breaking encryption does not sound ethical. I don't want to do something that is not ethical.

3. What physical equipment do I need and how much money we talking about?

4. Is this a hard or difficult thing to do?

5. Is the video and audio identical to the original purchased disc? If not, I've got no interest.

As to streaming, I buy the premise that the video is as good as physical media. But if the audio is lesser quality, no thanks. I've rented blu rays where the audio was supposed to be fantastic and it wasn't. Come to find out that they had lesser audio on the rental. Had to buy the real physical disc to get the great audio, and it was great there. I don't want inferior audio via l streaming. Couldn't image watching say Hacksaw Ridge or Edge of Tomorrow or 13 Hours with inferior audio. To me, the bass is close to as important as the video image.
Neoshinta likes this.

post #26349 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
1. Does the law in US allow me to rip a copy of my own blu rays and 4ks to use at home? I don't want to something that is illegal

2. I read something about UHD discs being encrypted and as of May 2017 no own had broken the encryption. Breaking encryption does not sound ethical. I don't want to do something that is not ethical.

5. Is the video and audio identical to the original purchased disc? If not, I've got no interest.

As to streaming, I buy the premise that the video is as good as physical media. But if the audio is lesser quality, no thanks. I've rented blu rays where the audio was supposed to be fantastic and it wasn't. Come to find out that they had lesser audio on the rental. Had to buy the real physical disc to get the great audio, and it was great there. I don't want inferior audio via l streaming. Couldn't image watching say Hacksaw Ridge or Edge of Tomorrow or 13 Hours with inferior audio. To me, the bass is close to as important as the video image.
It sounds like physical is the format for you XBR. Streaming is pretty amazing these days in terms of PQ. It will suffer slightly compared to disk but in most cases it won't be noticeable. However, the sound quality difference will be noticeable if you have a nice setup and it's an action movie.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #26350 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...tions-how.html

That might give you a little insight.

I'm not aware of it being illegal to back up your own physical media.

My post from the previous page...

Quote:
I built my $4,000 gaming PC last year and for side tasks it's pretty good at ripping my BR discs. I rip the file with MakeMKV, encode it with Handbrake to a .mp4 or .m4v file and I store them on a USB 3.0 4TB HDD. I also have a 4TB backup drive that will become a secondary drive when the first is full. I have dual NvME SSDs for all my other data. Streaming speed with USB 3.0 is fast enough so that's where the data goes. The MakeMKV rip takes 20 mins or so per disc... then the HQ encode takes around 2 hours. What I do is rip a bunch and then set it up to encode after I go to bed... I wake up and it's done. The average file size is 5GB. It definitely doesn't require this beast of a PC to get the job done... but encoding is CPU intensive so having a good one helps.

My digital library (both digital movie codes and my personal discs I've ripped) is over 350 movies and I have it set up thru iTunes. I've got a barely used Apple TV 4K on the OLED... regular Apple TV on the bedroom plasma... and the multiple tablets and phones in the house are all tied into iTunes.

When watching the OLED I load the disc... when on the bedroom TV or any of the tablets/phones I just stream via the iOS movie app. It's more of a convenience thing and definitely a time burner. It took me a few months to get all my discs done when I started.

Good to go now though... For new titles I either use the code with my disc purchase or rip the older movie purchases that don't have codes.

I like streaming and definitely find it convenient... but I'm not ready to stop buying discs yet for reasons already mentioned.
It's very easy to do... just time consuming if you are encoding your own files.

As for the quality... if done right you'll be happy but still isn't better than a disc. As I said in my post I maintain a digital library for the convenience of streaming to the other devices (other than my OLED) around the house.

post #26351 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

1. Yes and No. In the US you are legally allowed to make a backup of your purchased media but it is illegal to bypass copy protection to do so.

2. UHD media uses AACS 2 to protect content but there are now ways around that protection

3. All you need to rip a UHD is a "ripping friendly" UHD optical reader and one of 4 available software solutions, one of which is free

4. Depending on which software you use, it is extremely simple. It can be just a matter of right clicking and choosing an option

5. You can rip the disk to an exact image of the original if you want to keep everything, but only 2 of the 4 software solutions allows you to do that.
ataneruo likes this.

Last edited by mlknez; 04-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #26352 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
You may want to split this out to another thread at this point, as you clearly want to discuss items in some detail. Not that I personally mind this thread being more of a chat room at this point - with the 2018's out now there's a lot less to talk about here. But some people might.

Quote:
1. Does the law in US allow me to rip a copy of my own blu rays and 4ks to use at home?
No. Circumventing disc encryption is illegal under the DMCA. Are the police going to bust down your door because your family is watching a digital copy of a movie you ripped off a disc you physically own? Certainly not.

Quote:
2. I read something about UHD discs being encrypted and as of May 2017 no own had broken the encryption.
No longer true, but ripping UHD's does require specific drive models that cost more than regular bluray drives.

Quote:
Breaking encryption does not sound ethical. I don't want to do something that is not ethical.
This isn't the place for a lengthy ethical argument. If you feel it's wrong to make copies of media you purchased, then don't do it. edit: Without becoming too lengthy and philosophical, I do think you should consider the differences between the words "legal", "ethical", and "moral". They don't all mean the same thing.

Quote:
For ripping regular blurays, any old bluray drive, a PC, and some free software. Cost... $50 for a drive if you don't have one plus drives for however much storage you want. edit: That's $50 for an internal drive - if you need an external for a laptop, those are a little more expensive. A good 8TB drive for storage costs $250 right now. That would hold about 300 lossless 1080p movies. A drive capable of ripping UHD's costs about $80. (edit: ...for an internal. Externals are significantly more expensive.) If you're planning on playing lossless copies, you'll also need a solid network infrastructure - preferably hardwired ethernet between your streamer and your server/storage.

Quote:
At the basic level of ripping lossless copies and playing them back over a LAN? Not at all. You could probably get up and rolling in a couple hours. Some people take it to a whole other level of multi-user, remote streaming and basically become Netflix for their friends - that introduces significantly deeper technical and ethical problems.

Quote:
5. Is the video and audio identical to the original purchased disc?
Yes, as far as the digital files are concerned. But you'll need a streamer or playback software capable of playing all the codecs involved. The easy solution there is to buy a Shield, which plays everything. edit: It's also worth noting that you reencode original files down to a smaller file size, just as streaming companies do. There's actually a ton of headroom in many BD's and you can often get a file that's indistinguishable from the disc in about half the size. This does require some significant CPU horsepower on a PC along with some technical knowledge, but it's not too hard to learn the basics.

Feel free to PM me if you want gorier details.

Last edited by tppytel; 04-10-2018 at 03:20 PM.
post #26353 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
He's mainly mid-West. Have you looked at the thread here at AVS for ISF calibrators? I'll find the link and edit my post.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html Isn't D-Nice out in your area? Go to the end of the thread.

Last edited by MoInSTL; 04-10-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #26354 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
He's mainly mid-West. Have you looked at the thread here at AVS for ISF calibrators? I'll find the link and edit my post.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html Isn't D-Nice out in your area? Go to the end of the thread.
I have no idea where he is... but I know he didn't respond to either of the PMs I sent after he told me to PM him.

Maybe he'll read this because I'm not sending a 3rd.

post #26355 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone recieved the new firmware over the air? I'm still stuck on .36???
post #26356 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone recieved the new firmware over the air? I'm still stuck on .36???

I too stuck with .36
post #26357 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I'm wondering why it's taking them so long to push this recent one out.
post #26358 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
If it's any comfort, you're not alone.
Greg TB and Cam1977 like this.
post #26359 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
The problem with streaming is the reliance on the streaming service and your internet provider. I have a 100 MB download speed with Comcast. A few days ago I was watching "Taken" on my LG65C7's internal Vudu app as my 11 year old son had never seen it before. With about 20 minutes remaining the screen had a spinning circle with "data loading" underneath. It spun for a few minutes and then wanted to down res the picture. I exited the app and restarted a few time with the same result. I did a quick check of my download speed which showed 106 MB. I then logged into the Vudu app on my XBOX One X for the first time and it played fine from there. All of this would have been avoided with the physical disc. Plus when you buy a digital copy it counts as bandwidth which might be an issue with what the FCC recently did, also I believe when you buy a digital copy you just get the license to view it - not actual ownership. I like streaming for its convenience in some ways but physical copies still have their place. I also think you dismiss the Atmos issues too easily.

James
That does not surprise me, Vudu sucks frequently.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #26360 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Is there a separate thread for Calibration settings? Someone provided me some SDR Game Mode and HDR Game Mode settings and looking for some additional ones to try out in addition to what the best picture mode for UHD Movies and settings for that mode.

-Hawkmoon
post #26361 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm another one still on .36 and waiting for the auto FW update here in the US. However, I'm in no real rush for the current update, as I don't believe the FW changes since .36 would really do much for me given my viewing habits and current equipment setup. Hopefully the thing I'd really like to see in a FW update as soon as possible (i.e. something along the lines of the new 2018's static logo dimming protection feature) might be forthcoming in a future update. I suppose time will tell...

P.S. Perhaps it's taking them so long to push this one out because they're close to adding something else to it and don't want to have to go through two rounds of pushing out through auto update in such rapid succession when one round will do? I know, I know - probably just wishful thinking...

Last edited by r-gordon-7; 04-10-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #26362 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2488
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
If it's any comfort, you're not alone.
So the reason for the delay this time around is due to the fact that Dolby released a new profile library about mid-March that finally fixes the black levels bug for good. It will take at least a month to get that integrated into a new FW revision; and tested before being released into the wild. My guess is late April and its rev. number will be higher than the current Korean .76.
Sam S, OddyOh, XBR11 and 2 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #26363 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
I'm another one still on .36 and waiting for the auto FW update here in the US. However, I'm in no real rush for the current update, as I don't believe the FW changes since .36 would really do much for me given my viewing habits and current equipment setup. Hopefully the thing I'd really like to see in a FW update as soon as possible (i.e. something along the lines of the new 2018's static logo dimming protection feature) might be forthcoming in a future update. I suppose time will tell...

P.S. Perhaps it's taking them so long to push this one out because they're close to adding something else to it and don't want to have to go through two rounds of pushing out through auto update in such rapid succession when one round will do? I know, I know - probably just wishful thinking...
If I were to guess, they might be waiting for the full dolby vision fix instead of the partial one released in KR. If that's the case it might be awhile still.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #26364 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post

The static logo dimming feature would be a welcome addition...but we will see...as long as were not forgotten lol!
Datagg and Rodney Nicotine like this.
post #26365 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
Does anyone else use sports as there preferred picture mode?
i do my 9800 but prefer technicolor on my c7

Guess u like it for the motion

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #26366 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
^^^I haven't heard of anyone using that mode...although it's not an accurate pq setting, if it looks good to you that's what matters.
Ya man. It's the last setting I thought I would like the best haha
post #26367 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^it's cool as long as you like it, lol I'm watching Transformers The Last Knight 4k blu ray in the Technicolor mode...not that its that much different than the isf modes, but wow even though the movie is meh...the picture is simply stunning, the colors are just crazy good...the green just pops out of the screen in this movie.
bigzee3, sonoftumble and Neoshinta like this.
post #26368 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Why in the world is Legion not in 4k Dolby Vision...show would be perfect for it.
Cam1977 likes this.

Josh
post #26369 of 37096 Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^couldn't agree more, that is one acid trip of a show!
post #26370 of 37096 Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Well, that's good news for those who like to "back up" their movies, and I stand corrected. And please do not misunderstand me . . . I don't prefer streaming over a physical disc, I just prefer to stream most of the movies out there because they don't add value to the viewing experience. I collect only a few ( around 50 ) of the best reference discs, and stream the rest. And I really don't have the time to manage a ripped library.
That's a well reasoned and valid argument. Why pay for a disc if you perceive that it gives no added value ?
I like to have the disc for two reasons : 1) Just to have the physical object ( a bit like LP covers) 2) Once it is ripped I can be pretty sure that when I come to play it there will be no irritating interruptions.
On a different note I play tons of music and here I am quite happy to buy a lossless digital copy. I then back it up and, although I have a large legacy collection of CDs, I always play from file. The convenience factor, by using a good music organiser, is just so great that it has really enhanced the experience and I would never go back to CD or vinyl.
ataneruo likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page