2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 905 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980598Likes

post #27121 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
English please? LOL... I'm at work so I can't check right now but what am I looking for in color management system?
ahaha

in Color Management System you have controls for Red, Green, Blue, etcc for each you can set Saturation, Tint and Luminance. Since the 2016 and 2017 series have problems with CMS controls Chad and others always advised to not mess too much with them. So just wondering if he touched sat and lum together or only one of them. On mine i just touched the luminance. If i do both i get artifacts in color gradients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27122 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Ahhh that's cool... so it is? Does R4 R2 give it away?

I was talking about SDR for ISF Bright/Dark... I thought you mentioned bright/dark settings in our emails. My HDR and DV are both Cinema (User).
Oops, okay. HD Dark as in dark room. Same for HD Bright for day. Except I don't use HD Bright. OLED light is 30 for HD Dark/Night and it's fine. Especially after this black privacy film was applied.
post #27123 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
one more question

in CMS he touched saturation and luminance for primaries and secondaries or luminance only?
I know you asked Travis, but Doug W. didn't mess with CMS. I forgot what he said about it.
MrRobotoPlus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27124 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
ahaha

in Color Management System you have controls for Red, Green, Blue, etcc for each you can set Saturation, Tint and Luminance. Since the 2016 and 2017 series have problems with CMS controls Chad and others always advised to not mess too much with them. So just wondering if he touched sat and lum together or only one of them. On mine i just touched the luminance. If i do both i get artifacts in color gradients.
Ahhh... well I am not in front of the TV but I do have access to my calibration reports and it appears Chad followed his own advice and didn't mess with them too much. I see under CMS X,X,X numbers for each setting and the only ones that don't show a 0 are the 2nd number... which would be Tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Oops, okay. HD Dark as in dark room. Same for HD Bright for day. Except I don't use HD Bright. OLED light is 30 for HD Dark/Night and it's fine. Especially after this black privacy film was applied.
Oh ok. I don't use bright either... but the girlfriend likes to watch her SDR Comcast shows with the lights on... so that ISF Expert Bright will help with that. I prefer dark of course... with the blackout curtains and both windows blacked out. The only outside light at all would be light from a kitchen window and it doesn't really make it to the living room.

ISF Expert Dark is 49... Bright is 80.

I know people here like to push Technicolor mode and that's fine... but I trusted him with the modes he went with. No reason not to. I've seen way too many positive reviews (dozens in fact) to question it... LOL
golferdad50 and MrRobotoPlus like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27125 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahhh... well I am not in front of the TV but I do have access to my calibration reports and it appears Chad followed his own advice and didn't mess with them too much. I see under CMS X,X,X numbers for each setting and the only ones that don't show a 0 are the 2nd number... which would be Tint.

Oh ok. I don't use bright either... but the girlfriend likes to watch her SDR Comcast shows with the lights on... so that ISF Expert Bright will help with that. I prefer dark of course... with the blackout curtains and both windows blacked out. The only outside light at all would be light from a kitchen window and it doesn't really make it to the living room.

ISF Expert Dark is 49... Bright is 80.

I know people here like to push Technicolor mode and that's fine... but I trusted him with the modes he went with. No reason not to. I've seen way too many positive reviews (dozens in fact) to question it... LOL
Doug has plenty of good reviews. He doesn't follow this thread. So he's not being influenced by this thread. That is a "clean" setting like ISF ones. No other settings are attached to that setting automatically.
post #27126 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Doug has plenty of good reviews. He doesn't follow this thread. So he's not being influenced by this thread. That is a "clean" setting like ISF ones. No other settings are attached to that setting automatically.
I posted that comment because I've already had a couple people ask me why technicolor mode wasn't used. Wasn't talking about your cal guy... just sayin. Chad told me technicolor and ISF expert are different from the factory... but calibrate to the same end result. I even asked if there was a difference between them after calibration and he said no... So that was good enough for me...

... and no idea what you mean when you say no other settings are attached automatically.

post #27127 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phakur View Post
I've had this problem a couple of different times. Spoke to LG about it.

It is caused by an upgrade either to the TV firmware or to the LG software or APPS.

Simple fix:

Pause your program turn TV off then back on. Center channel should be back.

LG Fix:
Reboot TV---

Use power on/off switch located lower back left side (E7) and turn TV off.

Remove all HDMI cables from TV.

Turn TV back on from power switch holding switch in on position for 10 seconds.

Let TV fully come on.

Turn TV off with remote (or power switch)

Re-attach all HDMI cables.

Turn TV on usual manner.

That should work until the next significant firmware/software upgrade.

Larry
Thank you very much for the reply. I'll try these exact steps if/when it happens again.

In your simple instructions when you say "pause" your program do you mean literally press pause and then turn the TV off with the remote and then back on again?
post #27128 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Thank you Travis!
My meter is warming up
TravisPNW likes this.
post #27129 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just spent my entire weekend playing the new God Of War in 4K HDR on my 65E7 and PS4 Pro and the experience is nothing short of spectacular, wow just wow. First of all the game itself is so stellar and so amazing that Im seriously thinking this might have just become my favorite game of all time. The game is absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous and by far the best looking console game Ive ever played and looks absolutely incredible on a HDR 4K Oled display.

If you own a PS4 Pro and an LG oled you owe it to yourself to experience this.... seriously do not pass this game/experience over.
cmdrdredd, yukon, VidPro and 3 others like this.
post #27130 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Thanks much!
It’s still amazes me that in 2018 RS232 quite often still offers a more solid connection than IP. I still run a few of my devices that way because their IP implementation is flaky.
Probably a good thing as it would drive the Control 4 guys crazy......
post #27131 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post
Just spent my entire weekend playing the new God Of War in 4K HDR on my 65E7 and PS4 Pro and the experience is nothing short of spectacular, wow just wow. First of all the game itself is so stellar and so amazing that Im seriously thinking this might have just become my favorite game of all time. The game is absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous and by far the best looking console game Ive ever played and looks absolutely incredible on a HDR 4K Oled display.

If you own a PS4 Pro and an LG oled you owe it to yourself to experience this.... seriously do not pass this game/experience over.
I'm enjoying it too. I'd give Assassin's Creed: Origins on Xbox One X the nod for the better "4k"/HDR experience on my C7, but this GoW on the Pro is right up there as well. I'd second your recommendation.
post #27132 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post

I have the One X and have to recommend Red Dead Redemption. It got the 4K update a week or so ago and man... for an old school game does it looks absolutely sick in 4K. Not sure if the Playstationers got it though but thought I'd mention it.

A nice lead in to RDR2 this fall.
Datagg likes this.

post #27133 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyes Rodriguez View Post
I really do not understand the "too dim" with HDR Game Mode. My C7 looks great in Game Mode. Playing God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Sea Of Theives, Gears Of War 4, Madden 18 all look Amazing! I know Standard picture mode is brighter but Game mode looks better in my personal opinion. The C8 has tone mapping that is suppose to help for those that find it dim.. but Rtings said that they do Not recommend Dynamic Tone Mapping since it changes the Picture curve too much.
It depends on the game and how they chose to approach accepted brightness.
Games that literally unlock the brightness and accept whatever they are given will suffer on the 2017 in peak areas areas of highlight as the tone mapping on the set is now adjusted to ignore the brightness and focus on maintaining image detail.

Games that do not have unlocked brightness and are “graded” or have adjustable hdr setting look fine on the set. They circumvent the issue entirely with the tone mapping on the the 2017 oleds game mode hdr picture mode.

Horizon is one of those games that suffers in resolving highlight detail.

The game still looks good, however it is now missing one of the benifits of running a game in an hdr mode by focusing on the retention of detail at the cost of peak highlights.

The worst part of the changes made to hdr game mode isn’t the brightness leveling itself, but the introduced inconsistency from game to game caused by the change.

Last edited by rego00123; 04-23-2018 at 11:44 AM.
post #27134 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I'm enjoying it too. I'd give Assassin's Creed: Origins on Xbox One X the nod for the better "4k"/HDR experience on my C7, but this GoW on the Pro is right up there as well. I'd second your recommendation.

Having both games in my collection I’d disagree because I found many areas of assassins creed where low resolution assets are readily apparent. Stuff like lower resolution textures that have posterization for example.
Reflex-Arc likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #27135 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Having both games in my collection I’d disagree because I found many areas of assassins creed where low resolution assets are readily apparent. Stuff like lower resolution textures that have posterization for example.
GoW has far, far superior HDR to AC: Origins, in my estimations. The mood and ambience is second to none in GoW.
post #27136 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Well, we obviously disagree, but this is not the time or place for discussion.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #27137 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Well, we obviously disagree, but this is not the time or place for discussion.
If both of you think your particular game looks good on the OLED I'd call that an agreement!
Reflex-Arc and yukon like this.
post #27138 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question - has anyone gotten Wake on Lan working with their LG OLED? For example, with either SimpleControl or iRule? I tried searching the thread, but didn't turn up anything. I did find some instruction on LG's site here, but am wondering whether anyone here has experience with WOL. Thanks!

LG OLED B7P | Marantz AV7703 | Outlaw 7075 7-Channel Amp | Apple TV 4K | ACI Sapphires & Protege Fronts | RSL C34E Ceiling Speakers | SVS SB-13 Ultra Sub
post #27139 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
If both of you think your particular game looks good on the OLED I'd call that an agreement!
It definitely is an amazing gaming display. I personally wouldn't buy one for just that... but am quite happy with how my XB1X games have looked post-calibration.
Ricker62 likes this.

post #27140 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It definitely is an amazing gaming display. I personally wouldn't buy one for just that... but am quite happy with how my XB1X games have looked post-calibration.
I've never owned or even played XB , PS, etc. Video games hold no interest for me.
post #27141 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In picture gallery on the LG C7 55” can you slow down the picture refresh? I love the picture frame slide show but wanted to maybe have it refresh every few minutes or pause it.
post #27142 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I've never owned or even played XB , PS, etc. Video games hold no interest for me.
I hear ya.

There's not nearly as much interest today when I'm 43 (Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption) compared to when I was 11 (Super Mario Bros) or even 6 (Pitfall).

Lots of memories from the beginnings of the video game age. They've come a long way... much like the displays we play on.

OLED definitely helps keep the interest.
gamermwm likes this.

post #27143 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hear ya.

There's not nearly as much interest today when I'm 43 (Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption) compared to when I was 11 (Super Mario Bros) or even 6 (Pitfall).

Lots of memories from the beginnings of the video game age. They've come a long way... much like the displays we play on.

OLED definitely helps keep the interest.
Agreed, people are different, which is one of the reasons that Baskin-Robbins advertised 31 flavors, and you could have a different one every day of tbe month. OLEDs are the best choice for PQ, AFAIC.
TravisPNW likes this.
post #27144 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I'm about the same age and I disagree. There are so many amazing games out there if you scratch below the AAA surface. However, serious videogaming has developed so far from its forebears that many of the best games are not especially accessible without a large time investment. It's difficult to show someone who only knew the arcade and maybe the NES what modern gaming is capable of, because they've missed all that development in between and struggle to process all that's going on.

Back to OLED's... I've only done a little bit of HDR gaming on my set - mostly FF15 and HZD. Of the two, HZD seems to play worse with the LG game mode. It's a little dim at times, depending on the in-game lighting. But it's far from unplayable. If I just turn off the overhead lights and draw the blinds to dim the room a little it's significantly better. Total darkness isn't necessary, just not a very bright room. As others have said, the C7 wouldn't be my first choice for a hardcore gaming set. But for more casual and occasional use it's totally fine.
post #27145 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
"I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever" -Billy Madison

Sorry, had to do it.

Just started GoW on my C7 and my wife stopped in her tracks when she saw it to admire the incredible detail. HDR highlights on their eyes, fire, etc....wow, just wow.

Our OLED's are simply outstanding and I wish everyone could appreciate them like we do.
post #27146 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I'm about the same age and I disagree. There are so many amazing games out there if you scratch below the AAA surface. However, serious videogaming has developed so far from its forebears that many of the best games are not especially accessible without a large time investment. It's difficult to show someone who only knew the arcade and maybe the NES what modern gaming is capable of, because they've missed all that development in between and struggle to process all that's going on.
Hey that’s cool... but all I was saying is I’m not nearly as interested in video games now compared to when I was a kid. I invest much less time into it... both the $500 One X and my $4000 gaming PC.

It’s been going on for a while but has gotten worse lately... since I bought the OLED.

More movies... less gaming.
Neoshinta likes this.

post #27147 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash28 View Post
-Billy Madison
Billy Mitchell.

Still, Donkey Kong is a really good game. One of the relatively few golden age arcades that feels like more than a mindless quarter-eater.
gamermwm likes this.
post #27148 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Boys, this is a thread about the TV, not games.

Jack
post #27149 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked: 3877
Anyone been watching The Terror on AMC...very solid show, and the visuals are outstanding on these!!!
post #27150 of 36884 Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I purchased an 55 B7 a few weeks ago and am absolutely enthralled with it. Hands down the best electronic device I’ve ever purchased.

I’m using a Denon DHT-S514 sounbar with it via the ARC HDMI port.

I started noticing a split second flash or flicker on the screen when playing Stranger Things season 2 in Dolby Vision that is repeatable using the native LG app. It’s very random and very rare but it’s enough to notice. I’ve set tru motion to 0 and 0 as per Reddit suggestions for people having the same issue via HDMI connections with Apple TV but the quick flicker is still visible. The opening scene of season 2 episode 9 does it every time immediately after the Netflix logo fades to black (quick white flash). I noticed it a few times as well in other episodes.

I’ve also tested the exact same scene on my Samsung LED and it had no flash.

Suggestions? I suspect the sound bar is playing a role but I’m not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page