2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 914 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980361Likes

post #27391 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
DC Low means that LG uses active metadata generation for HDR content. It should be left to low for everything and not just games.
BZZZZT. Active HDR is disabled in Game Mode and PC modes. Which is a kick in the balls as they have it working in Game Mode on the '18's.
nassiri likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27392 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Now if I could only solve my 2.0 audio output problem
Solved. As expected, it wasn't an issue with the C7. It was a setup issue with the A860.

Turns out I had overlooked the first-time out-of-the-carton mandatory visit for A860 speaker configuration. Turns out it is delivered with a default 2.0 speaker configuration set. Hence why the A860 was always putting out 2.0... to the "speakers" (or in the case of my external headphone system, audio going to the pre-outs and HDMI).

I simply had to visit Setup -> Speaker -> manual setup, then setting (a) power amp assign to 7.1 + 1zone, and (b) configuration to indicate the presence of each speaker and its "type" (large/small).

Presto. Output is now main 7.1 (for external Realiser multi-channel headphone system) plus zone 2 (for 2.0 channel stereo downmix for two real audio system speakers adjacent to the C7).

Audio problem case closed. Now to begin enjoying the C7 picture.

Just wrote to D-Nice to try and schedule a C7 calibration visit during his next or future visit to the LA area. And if he can fit it in, while he is here also what probably is only a "minor tune-up" re-calibration for my 65VT50 which he calibrated for me back in 2013.
post #27393 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijusurf View Post
I just purchased an open box 55" C7P from Best Buy. The stand was not included, so I'm trying to hunt down an OEM replacement. Are the stands for the 65" and 55" models the same and/or interchangeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
Purchase this from Best Buy for MUCH less..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-soun...?skuId=5846401

It's designed to replace the existing stand so you can mount the SJ8 soundbar to it. It should work on it's own as a stand.
The soundbar bracket would be a great way to go if you do have an SJ8 soundbar. However, if you don't have an SJ8 soundbar, you might want to check with LG first, because I'm not sure the bracket's base alone is sufficient to support the the 55" C7P. The base of the bracket is much smaller than the base of the 55" C7P and I think (but am not sure) that the bracket relies on the soundbar's broadly based feet out near its four corners to either supplement the bracket's base or possibly even to serve as the actual base. So, probably best to first check with LG (or with someone here who actually has the bracket in use?) to see it it can be used as the base for the TV without the soundbar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27394 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
Purchase this from Best Buy for MUCH less..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-soun...?skuId=5846401

It's designed to replace the existing stand so you can mount the SJ8 soundbar to it. It should work on it's own as a stand.
So how does this work?

My TV is mounted on the wall, can I use this to mount my center speaker below the TV?
post #27395 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
From CNET article about the 2018 LG C8P OLED published May 1 2018
Quote:
Anybody who bought a 2017 OLED TV can rest assured that the newest version isn't significantly better (and has an uglier stand). For anybody who wants to save money by getting a 2017 OLED TV on closeout now, rather than waiting until this fall for the C8 to drop in price, consider this review a green light. (Note that Thanksgiving week has been the best time to buy LG's OLED TVs in recent years.)
Chris Hansen likes this.

post #27396 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I'm sure some of it is that LG makes its menu system incomprehensible. I'll state again that DC on LOW for HDR gaming is the only way I can play, as you seem to have noticed!
With these results, you'll get no argument from me!
post #27397 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
^^^very good time to buy oled for sure.
post #27398 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
DC Low means that LG uses active metadata generation for HDR content. It should be left to low for everything and not just games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
BZZZZT. Active HDR is disabled in Game Mode and PC modes. Which is a kick in the balls as they have it working in Game Mode on the '18's.
Both game mode and HDR game mode allow for changes to the dynamic contrast setting, which affects HDR and the TV's internal contrast enhancement. Your TV will automatically switch to HDR game mode from game mode when it senses an HDR enabled game (it is a separate set of settings which you may want to change, this does not impact regular game mode settings).

From the LG calibration notes at http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...65C7P#manuals:

Control of the ‘Active HDR’ feature is found in the ‘Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert Picture Settings menu. In HDR mode, the Dynamic Contrast settings are defined as follows:
• Off - Active HDR Disabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled (use this for DV content, it may be greyed out anyway)
• Low - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled (use this to see the features that HDR10 adds to games. Some people say you see more detail with DC set to off whereas 'on' gives a brighter picture. You can toggle it on and off once you're in a game to see the brightness change)
• Medium - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Low
• High - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement High
Neoshinta likes this.
post #27399 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
More quotes
Quote:
Dim lighting: The 2018 C8 didn't look any better overall than the 2017 OLED models
Quote:
Bright lighting: The C8 doesn't get any brighter than last year's OLED TVs. It actually measured slightly dimmer in SDR mode and slightly brighter in HDR, so I'll call it a wash.
Quote:
HDR and 4K video: The C8 matched the HDR performance of the 2017 OLEDs in my lineup, but didn't significantly exceed them.
Quote:
Video processing: The C8 did well in this category, but I didn't see a massive difference I could chalk up to LG's new Alpha 9 processor.
Neoshinta likes this.

post #27400 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
Both game mode and HDR game mode allow for changes to the dynamic contrast setting, which affects HDR and the TV's internal contrast enhancement. Your TV will automatically switch to HDR game mode from game mode when it senses an HDR enabled game (it is a separate set of settings which you may want to change, this does not impact regular game mode settings).

From the LG calibration notes at http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...65C7P#manuals:

Control of the ‘Active HDR’ feature is found in the ‘Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert Picture Settings menu. In HDR mode, the Dynamic Contrast settings are defined as follows:
• Off - Active HDR Disabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled (use this for DV content, it may be greyed out anyway)
• Low - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled (use this to see the features that HDR10 adds to games. Some people say you see more detail with DC set to off whereas 'on' gives a brighter picture. You can toggle it on and off once you're in a game to see the brightness change)
• Medium - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Low
• High - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement High
Your link doesn’t work, but everything I’d read about active HDR is that it wasn’t enabled in Game Mode.
post #27401 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I had forgotten that I didn't have an HDR gaming source when I got my calibration last year. So while I'm playing in Game Mode for SDR, it's switching to the calibrated Cinema (User) preset for HDR. I haven't noticed any lag with a single-player game like Horizon Zero Dawn, but I wonder how I will fare when an online multiplayer game that I want rolls up with HDR?

'Cause say what you want about how good the out-of-the-box picture is on the 7 series, the Game Modes were/are a pile of blue garbage. The SDR version got a huge boost from a pro calibration.
post #27402 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Interesting. I had forgotten that I didn't have an HDR gaming source when I got my calibration last year. So while I'm playing in Game Mode for SDR, it's switching to the calibrated Cinema (User) preset for HDR. I haven't noticed any lag with a single-player game like Horizon Zero Dawn, but I wonder how I will fare when an online multiplayer game that I want rolls up with HDR?

'Cause say what you want about how good the out-of-the-box picture is on the 7 series, the Game Modes were/are a pile of blue garbage. The SDR version got a huge boost from a pro calibration.
Yeah I had Chad B do SDR and HDR game mode... was the first thing he did... and also the quickest because game modes have less options.

Not a huge console gamer... more into the PC... but it's nice to have a calibrated OLED when I want to load up some Forza... RDR... or CoD Zombies on the One X. I play Mario Kart on the Switch with the kids.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27403 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post

The Game modes are a hot mess. I use PC input label for SDR stuff to get a normal gamut, since Game is locked on Wide otherwise (this is fixed in '18 models) and essentially unusable without a calibration as a result.

I game on a PS4 Pro almost exclusively, and Sony-published games look GREAT since they tend to include working HDR brightness controls (Horizon, for example) that let you avoid tone mapping or ramp the base brightness to an acceptable level while peaks are toned. Third party games are a crapshoot. Battlefront II is rather dim. Mixed feelings about AC:Origins. You will definitely notice input lag on Cinema (vs. Game) in twitch multiplayer games more than on third person action/adventure titles.
post #27404 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijusurf View Post
I just purchased an open box 55" C7P from Best Buy. The stand was not included, so I'm trying to hunt down an OEM replacement. Are the stands for the 65" and 55" models the same and/or interchangeable?
You can get a universal tabletop stand for a very reasonable price. With added features like height adjustment and swivel

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Sta...tv+stand&psc=1
post #27405 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Game modes are a hot mess. I use PC input label for SDR stuff to get a normal gamut, since Game is locked on Wide otherwise (this is fixed in '18 models) and essentially unusable without a calibration as a result.

I game on a PS4 Pro almost exclusively, and Sony-published games look GREAT since they tend to include working HDR brightness controls (Horizon, for example) that let you avoid tone mapping or ramp the base brightness to an acceptable level while peaks are toned. Third party games are a crapshoot. Battlefront II is rather dim. Mixed feelings about AC:Origins. You will definitely notice input lag on Cinema (vs. Game) in twitch multiplayer games more than on third person action/adventure titles.
I have zero issue with the Game Mode SDR or HDR. Unusable? Lol. Games are far more abstract than movies in their visual style, so most of us I would wager have no issue here. Using the PC input label has way more noticeable issues.
cmdrdredd and nassiri like this.
post #27406 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Yeah it's nothing I'm worried about. I've got a good panel. Better than most I would say without question.

As for staring at the screen to see the banding... all I was saying is I really had to go out of my way... a fishing expedition if you will... to notice the banding.

Agreed!

I think I see at least 3 post everyday where you brag about the panel you have. We get it. Move on.
rsonnens, nassiri and TravisPNW like this.
post #27407 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have zero issue with the Game Mode SDR or HDR. Unusable? Lol. Games are far more abstract than movies in their visual style, so most of us I would wager have no issue here. Using the PC input label has way more noticeable issues.
It's a matter of taste, but the obviously incorrect coloring in SDR Game drives me batty. Try something like The Last of Us, which I first played on a calibrated plasma on PS3, and its obviously garish. TLoU in HDR looks sooooooo much better than SDR because it gets the colorspace right. The better lighting is a nice bonus. Same with everything else that lets you choose between SDR and HDR.

Let's put it this way. People can subjectively like whatever they want, including hyper-saturation and cool white points for games. But LG's SDR Game is objectively wrong even when you make obvious adjustments (gamma, W45 instead of C30, etc.) thanks to the gamut lock. Once you get used to things looking one way, amping saturation is jarring. I could probably get used to it, but PC mode with proper gamut and 4:4:4 is better to me, although you're right that it has its own problems.
post #27408 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
The local shop has already ordered parts, so it appears they've narrowed the issues down. They said they'd have parts in 1-2 days.

We've been watching our shows on a 13" MacBook- a humbling experience. We do still have a 14-year-old 55" Panasonic plasma resting in front of the fireplace. We'll probably put her back in service if it looks like it's going to be a while before the 65C7P can be brought back to life.

They don't make 'em like they used to! Maybe it's just a fluke, but having a TV die after only 4 months and about 250 hours is discouraging. That 14-year-old plasma is still going strong! All it ever needed was a new power supply at 12 years.
Repair scheduled for tomorrow morning. They're bringing a new main board and power supply. If neither of those does the trick we're looking at a panel replacement. Fingers crossed: We've got a nice panel with extremely minimal banding.
post #27409 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Yeah it's nothing I'm worried about. I've got a good panel. Better than most I would say without question.

As for staring at the screen to see the banding... all I was saying is I really had to go out of my way... a fishing expedition if you will... to notice the banding.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN52 View Post
I think I see at least 3 post everyday where you brag about the panel you have. We get it. Move on.
LOL... ummmm... no.

Bragging to a bunch of people on the internet I don't know... have never met... and most likely will never meet (other than Chad B ) isn't my style.

But it's cool man... let the butthurt flow through you.

... and just so you know... I could give 2 fu&#s what you or anything else thinks of me and my posts... like me or hate me...

I could care less. I mean that.

Feel free to ignore my posts.
chunon, Ricker62 and Neoshinta like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27410 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a matter of taste, but the obviously incorrect coloring in SDR Game drives me batty. Try something like The Last of Us, which I first played on a calibrated plasma on PS3, and its obviously garish. TLoU in HDR looks sooooooo much better than SDR because it gets the colorspace right. The better lighting is a nice bonus. Same with everything else that lets you choose between SDR and HDR.

Let's put it this way. People can subjectively like whatever they want, including hyper-saturation and cool white points for games. But LG's SDR Game is objectively wrong even when you make obvious adjustments (gamma, W45 instead of C30, etc.) thanks to the gamut lock. Once you get used to things looking one way, amping saturation is jarring. I could probably get used to it, but PC mode with proper gamut and 4:4:4 is better to me, although you're right that it has its own problems.
I hear you. However I’m still not bothered by it. For movies, though? That’s a different ball game. That needs to be “right.”
post #27411 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Say what? Now there's a firmware update I would insta-install if it trickled down to the 7s.

Quote:
Like what? I used to know the answer to this (or thought I did), but it has been so damn confusing from firmware to firmware. I'm still trying to figure out what is the best configuration with the least compromise between the Wide-locked game modes and the borked HDR PC mode (assuming it still is). When I first got the C7, I had intended to keep all my consoles on the PC input, but something Chad said during the calibration led me to decide that was a bad idea. I just wish I could remember exactly what that was.
Neoshinta likes this.
post #27412 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Repair scheduled for tomorrow morning. They're bringing a new main board and power supply. If neither of those does the trick we're looking at a panel replacement. Fingers crossed: We've got a nice panel with extremely minimal banding.
Good luck! Are they bringing a big folding table? The kind with 3 sections is what a tech used for my 60" Vizio. May want to have a sheet on hand to lay it down on. It doesn't help that much, but better than nothing and sheets are usually lint free. Again, best of luck!
Ruppgu likes this.
post #27413 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
SDR Game preset is also locked to wide on my C8. And I totally agree with you that this is a total ****up by LG. Why would they force us to use the wrong color gamut for games??
post #27414 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
SDR Game preset is also locked to wide on my C8. And I totally agree with you that this is a total ****up by LG. Why would they force us to use the wrong color gamut for games??
Ouch. Vincent and others reported from CES that it was fixed. That sucks.
post #27415 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
is 3:2 a bad thing? just wondering if there was any way to smooth it just a bit without getting SOE.
No 3:2 isn't such a bad thing. A lot of people prefer it and it does smooth out the 24p panning a little without introducing SOE
post #27416 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Good luck with everything.

I am sure many of us here, including me, will cross our fingers for you as well!!

Let us know how it goes.

All the best brother!!

LG 65C7
Bose ST300
LG UP970
Xfinity XG1v4
post #27417 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Well... for heaven's sake!!! Is this how it's going to go???

I decided to look for the error message on the interweb to see what others did about it, and was led to a setup tutorial on the Roku site for what it takes to enable UHD [email protected] HDR. In particular, for LG sets you have to enable HDR color on the HDMI input. By default it is NOT on, so I discovered. I had to turn it on. I don't understand how I could get 4K HDR at 30hz then, but maybe that's not "HDMI ultra deep color" which 60hz is.

LG HDR TVs: Home > HDMI > Settings > Advanced > Picture > HDMI ULTRA DEEP COLOR > On > Restart

Case closed.

Now if I could only solve my 2.0 audio output problem
This is most TVs not just LG. My avizio and Sony both had to have their Deep Color settings enabled to get 60Hz HDR.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #27418 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Your link doesn’t work, but everything I’d read about active HDR is that it wasn’t enabled in Game Mode.
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D65C7P#manuals scroll down to "calibration notes"

IDK if "active hdr" is an LG trademark, but the mixing up of terms is why some info is contradictory:

Dolby Vision is active HDR (one form of it), DV sends data constantly to the TV. There are no Dolby Vision games.
HDR10, which most people call HDR incorrectly, sends one set of data to describe the movie or game; it is not active HDR.
Setting dynamic contrast to off prohibits the HDR10 data from being used.
Setting DC to low allows the TV to read the HDR10 data but the TV does no additional contrast manipulation.
Setting DC to medium or high lets LG do it's version of "active HDR" on the material.

HDR10+ may be coming soon, which is "active HDR".
post #27419 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
I have the PS4 PRO and I checked playing with max resolotion mode or performance mode. In my opinion, there is a noticeable difference between both modes in the C7. In Max resolution, GOW is the most striking, incredible game and graphics that I have ever seen. It is just breathtaking.
I agree but also need to add the World Serpent will ROCK the house with a great Audio system.....which I also have with my C7P
post #27420 of 36269 Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6573 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy-99 View Post
While Cnet makes the following statement about the C8:

"The LG C8 is the best performing TV we've tested to date."

They also make the following statement about the C7:

"Anybody who bought a 2017 OLED TV can rest assured that the newest version isn't significantly better (and has an uglier stand). For anybody who wants to save money by getting a 2017 OLED TV on closeout now, rather than waiting until this fall for the C8 to drop in price, consider this review a green light."

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oled65c8pua/review/
Yep, you got a rock solid product since the get go, the next year it is still rock solid again.......
Ricker62 and Neoshinta like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page