2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 915 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980529Likes

post #27421 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D65C7P#manuals scroll down to "calibration notes"

IDK if "active hdr" is an LG trademark, but the mixing up of terms is why some info is contradictory:

Dolby Vision is active HDR (one form of it), DV sends data constantly to the TV. There are no Dolby Vision games.
HDR10, which most people call HDR incorrectly, sends one set of data to describe the movie or game; it is not active HDR.
Setting dynamic contrast to off prohibits the HDR10 data from being used.
Setting DC to low allows the TV to read the HDR10 data but the TV does no additional contrast manipulation.
Setting DC to medium or high lets LG do it's version of "active HDR" on the material.

HDR10+ may be coming soon, which is "active HDR".
No that's not true. Please stop misleading people. With Dynamic Contrast set to low, LG actively generates dynamic tone mapping using HDR10 metadata, thus it is activeHDR. https://media.flixcar.com/f360cdn/LG...G_OLED_TVs.pdf
lsorensen and snapilica2003 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27422 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I have zero issue with the Game Mode SDR or HDR. Unusable? Lol. Games are far more abstract than movies in their visual style, so most of us I would wager have no issue here. Using the PC input label has way more noticeable issues.
I agree, games don't really adhere to "cinema standards" and I have no issue with how any game looks on my B7A. The input lag reduction alone makes it worth using. You can calibrate Game Mode if you want to I guess but you'd be disappointed if you thought games adhered to any type of standard like D65 etc. They don't and probably never will so worrying about "incorrect" color space is really low on the list of complaints. I'll take the supposed incorrect picture with the black level performance and lack of blooming, light bleed, or any other backlighting issue of my TV over an LCD any day. Especially when the input lag is one of the best in a high end TV.
Neoshinta likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 05-01-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #27423 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo JAB View Post
So Im trying to go from a 55B6 to 65B/C7 inch Oled. Is 10 inches that much of a difference? Also i've seen the b7 price for the 65 and Im wondering if it might still go a little more down in price or is this it? Since its on its close out? I don't want to miss my chance on purchasing it.
Well, if you're a veteran and have access to the Army & Air Force Exchange (online or in store) the 65B7A is (right now) <$2k
gamermwm and Skytrooper like this.

Are you talking' to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27424 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Repair scheduled for tomorrow morning. They're bringing a new main board and power supply. If neither of those does the trick we're looking at a panel replacement. Fingers crossed: We've got a nice panel with extremely minimal banding.
Hope you get zero banding!
Ricker62 likes this.

Are you talking' to me?
post #27425 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Say what? Now there's a firmware update I would insta-install if it trickled down to the 7s.

Like what? I used to know the answer to this (or thought I did), but it has been so damn confusing from firmware to firmware. I'm still trying to figure out what is the best configuration with the least compromise between the Wide-locked game modes and the borked HDR PC mode (assuming it still is). When I first got the C7, I had intended to keep all my consoles on the PC input, but something Chad said during the calibration led me to decide that was a bad idea. I just wish I could remember exactly what that was.
Banding/posterization. It’s out of control.
post #27426 of 36736 Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I agree, games don't really adhere to "cinema standards" and I have no issue with how any game looks on my B7A. The input lag reduction alone makes it worth using. You can calibrate Game Mode if you want to I guess but you'd be disappointed if you thought games adhered to any type of standard like D65 etc. They don't and probably never will so worrying about "incorrect" color space is really low on the list of complaints. I'll take the supposed incorrect picture with the black level performance and lack of blooming, light bleed, or any other backlighting issue of my TV over an LCD any day. Especially when the input lag is one of the best in a high end TV.
Friends and colleagues who work(ed) in major studios’ art departments would vigorously disagree with any suggestion that games have loose or no standards. They’re working on calibrated monitors and have toolchains and processes in place to ensure art is consistent as it moves through the pipeline. While they’re not color grading using a Dolby Pulsar, they’re definitely targeting industry standards.
nathan_h likes this.
post #27427 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whforde View Post
Don't worry so much about how banding looks on slides no matter how fun it is. If anything, banding gets worse in motion but what looks like a good screen on slides might actually be horrible with content and vice versa.

I returned my first B7 for terrible visible banding in content and my replacement was night and day better. I can see some bands on slides but nothing in content.

If you want to see what content can bring it out, here is the torture test. Proceed at your own risk, these represent the worst of the worst:
  • Marco Polo S1E3 14-16 minutes
  • Blade Runner 2049 - The whole movie
  • Arrival 4:00 18:48 26:40 1:45:25
  • The Martian 1:26
  • Prometheus 34:11
  • Passengers 41:35
  • Interstellar 1:48
  • Zero Dark Thirty 5 minute raid scene starting at 2:00:00
  • Star Trek Beyond 0:11:30 - 0:12:30
  • Oblivion 50:00
  • The OA S01E01 10:30
  • Mindhunters S01E08 47:15
  • Hold input button on remote, lines on the loading screen
  • Xbox Settings Menu
  • Amazon Loading screen
Hey thanks for the reply, I guess I hardly see it at all in content, I didn't notice it slightly in Westworld however I am looking for it now. I'll test it out with some of those titles you mentioned. Do you think my panel based on the pictures I posted is worth replacing?
post #27428 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I adjuster my settings for the first time in a few months and am enjoying it much better with the temperature set to 0 instead of W50 for HDR gaming. To me it just let's the content pop more. Also put Dynamic contrast on low for HDR content.

Do you guys reccomend it keep it off for SDR or put on low?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Neoshinta likes this.

Sony 900F, KS8000, P607
post #27429 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I have the 2017 55 C7. I’ve been trying to use the native apps but am thinking of switching to a Roku Ultra (I use PBS app a lot). I also have a Atmos soundbar LG SK8Y which I like. I know if I use the native apps it will send Atmos through the HDMI with return (ARC?). My question is will it pass Atmos from the Roku ultra in to an HDMI to the TV and then out to the soundbar from the ARC Connection on the TV?

I’m not interested in putting a hdmi from the Roku to the sound bar directly. Also any other thoughts are welcome.
post #27430 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by guacjack View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, I guess I hardly see it at all in content,
This is all that matters.

Quote:
I'll test it out with some of those titles you mentioned. Do you think my panel based on the pictures I posted is worth replacing?
Can't say from a slide but it doesn't look too bad. Keep in mind, the list I posted is the worst of the worst and represents an extremely small subset of the content you would watch.

For instance, these low light scenes streamed from netflix already have artifacts in low light before your TV even enters the chain which can make things seem worse than they are. For instance, that scene in Mindhunters, you will see banding but it's hard to take it at face value because it seems such a poorly composed shot. So take any of these with a grain of salt/.

I am convinced that if your set suffers from problematic banding you will see it in normal content without looking. For instance, seeing the banding in stranger things was what set me down the rabbit hole. I wasn't looking for it, it was just there and unavoidable.

My new panel has some banding on the slides and some in some of this test content when I'm really looking for it but I've never seen it in any other context. But it is possible to have it to such a degree that it ruins the TV also. Only you can decide where that line is drawn.

I will say, both panels were better than any of the 3 LCD's I've purchased (then always returned) due to grey and black uniformity, DSE, flashlighting, light bleed etc.
Neoshinta and TravisPNW like this.
post #27431 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D65C7P#manuals scroll down to "calibration notes"

IDK if "active hdr" is an LG trademark, but the mixing up of terms is why some info is contradictory:

Dolby Vision is active HDR (one form of it), DV sends data constantly to the TV. There are no Dolby Vision games.
HDR10, which most people call HDR incorrectly, sends one set of data to describe the movie or game; it is not active HDR.
Setting dynamic contrast to off prohibits the HDR10 data from being used.
Setting DC to low allows the TV to read the HDR10 data but the TV does no additional contrast manipulation.
Setting DC to medium or high lets LG do it's version of "active HDR" on the material.

HDR10+ may be coming soon, which is "active HDR".
How did you arrive at those conclusions from the calibration notes? The notes are pretty clear and do not match your conclusions at all. From the calibration notes:

*LG’s ‘Active HDR’ function analyses content on a frame by frame basis in real time, to
determine metadata for the scene. This information is then used to adjust the HDR tone-curve
to match the content, on a frame by frame basis.

- Active HDR is referring to LG's dynamic frame by frame tone mapping.

Control of the ‘Active HDR’ feature is found in the ‘Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert

Picture Settings menu. In HDR mode, the Dynamic Contrast settings are defined as follows:
• Off - Active HDR Disabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled
• Low - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled
• Medium - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Low
• High - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement High

The default setting of ‘Low’ is recommended for accurate content reproduction.

- Setting Dynamic Contrast to OFF does not disable HDR10 as you stated. It turns off the LG Active HDR / Dynamic tone mapping. HDR10 metadata is used for tone mapping.

- Setting to Low enables Dynamic Tone mapping for HDR10 content. Frame by frame analysis is used for tone mapping rather than relying solely on the static HDR10 metadata.

- Settings Medium and High are the same as Low with respect to Dynamic Tone Mapping but enable Contrast Enhancement which is something I would avoid.

- None of this has anything to do with Dolby Vision. LG Active HDR can be compared to HDR10+ in that both result in frame by frame tone mapping. HDR10+ includes the frame by frame metadata, LG Active HDR analyzes each frame instead. I don't know if LG will implement HDR10+ or not.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 05-02-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #27432 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
This is all that matters.

Can't say from a slide but it doesn't look too bad. Keep in mind, the list I posted is the worst of the worst and represents an extremely small subset of the content you would watch.

For instance, these low light scenes streamed from netflix already have artifacts in low light before your TV even enters the chain which can make things seem worse than they are. For instance, that scene in Mindhunters, you will see banding but it's hard to take it at face value because it seems such a poorly composed shot. So take any of these with a grain of salt/.

I am convinced that if your set suffers from problematic banding you will see it in normal content without looking. For instance, seeing the banding in stranger things was what set me down the rabbit hole. I wasn't looking for it, it was just there and unavoidable.

My new panel has some banding on the slides and some in some of this test content when I'm really looking for it but I've never seen it in any other context. But it is possible to have it to such a degree that it ruins the TV also. Only you can decide where that line is drawn.

I will say, both panels were better than any of the 3 LCD's I've purchased (then always returned) due to grey and black uniformity, DSE, flashlighting, light bleed etc.
I guess thats the thing, I didn't even know banding existed until I saw it on Westworld and wondered what was happening. Ah well I'll give it a week and see if I notice it again.

Cheers
post #27433 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Repair scheduled for tomorrow morning. They're bringing a new main board and power supply. If neither of those does the trick we're looking at a panel replacement. Fingers crossed: We've got a nice panel with extremely minimal banding.
Back in business! Tech was almost certain it was the panel, but put in a new main board and eureka! She lives and is back up on the wall! Tonight I get to reconnect everything, install firmware and re-do all my settings. Happy day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ph8te, grubavs, william06 and 7 others like this.
post #27434 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
I guess thats the thing, I didn't even know banding existed until I saw it on Westworld and wondered what was happening. Ah well I'll give it a week and see if I notice it again.

Cheers
Keep in mind that banding is also a compression artifact in the source material, particularly in heavily compressed video from Netflix and other streaming services. That's what most people are seeing and (falsely) attributing to the OLEDs. If you see it a lot with UHD Blu-rays, that's another story, though, as there's very little banding out there on them.

With my set, I have some screen uniformity issues with full field white or light colored screens, that appear as vertical stripe-like pattern, but haven't seen any banding that's obviously from the panel and not the source material.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #27435 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
Keep in mind that banding is also a compression artifact in the source material, particularly in heavily compressed video from Netflix and other streaming services. That's what most people are seeing and (falsely) attributing to the OLEDs. If you see it a lot with UHD Blu-rays, that's another story, though, as there's very little banding out there on them.

With my set, I have some screen uniformity issues with full field white or light colored screens, that appear as vertical stripe-like pattern, but haven't seen any banding that's obviously from the panel and not the source material.

I have the same behavior on my set as you. During normal content I don’t see banding or anything like that. Slides made to purposely show the issue I see vertical banding.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #27436 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 251
THX Standard

THX Standard is now buying and testing A/V products.

They tested the LG 55" B7 and gave it an overall score of 70 out of 100 with Black Levels, HDR Color Gamut, and Off Axis Viewing gaining the highest sub category scores and Uniformity and Visible Artifacts getting the lowest sub category scores:

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/product/26/
alexbarbel and Neoshinta like this.

SCG
post #27437 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgru View Post
Friends and colleagues who work(ed) in major studios’ art departments would vigorously disagree with any suggestion that games have loose or no standards. They’re working on calibrated monitors and have toolchains and processes in place to ensure art is consistent as it moves through the pipeline. While they’re not color grading using a Dolby Pulsar, they’re definitely targeting industry standards.
What are these industry standards? How do we calibrate for them?

Exactly.

Nobody is saying that games aren’t supposed to maintain a consistent “look.” We’re just saying that it’s not exactly clear what that “look” IS.
post #27438 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
these low light scenes streamed from netflix already have artifacts in low light before your TV even enters the chain which can make things seem worse than they are. For instance, that scene in Mindhunters, you will see banding but it's hard to take it at face value because it seems such a poorly composed shot. So take any of these with a grain of salt/.
Exactly what I've said upthread a couple pages back. My panel has very faint banding that I haven't noticed in content. I actually had to pause the scene and stare at the TV like I was on a fishing expedition to see the banding in that Mindhunters scene. If I didn't know what I was looking for I'd have chalked it up to a poor quality grainy background which is exactly what it was.

The same can be said about the OA scene... which someone said are the two worst of the torture test scenes. If that's what it takes to see banding on my panel.... 2 poor quality grainy scenes on 2 shows I don't even watch... I'm fine with it.

Quote:
I am convinced that if your set suffers from problematic banding you will see it in normal content without looking.
Agreed. I enjoy the panel... I don't go on expeditions looking for flaws.
Greg TB likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27439 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are these industry standards? How do we calibrate for them?

Exactly.

Nobody is saying that games aren’t supposed to maintain a consistent “look.” We’re just saying that it’s not exactly clear what that “look” IS.
Uh. It is. SDR is Rec. 709 / BT 709. HDR has Rec 2020 and DCI P3. These are very, very well defined standards developed by professional broadcasting and cinema associations.

I was curious enough about this that I txted with three artists for large studios (1 first party, 2 substantial third parties) about this today. Two work on character models, one manages third parties that are contracted to produce assets. They all use D65 on calibrated SDR monitors or calibrated HDR monitors or TV-as-monitors (OLED for one).

Anyway, within those defined parameters, they develop a "look" for their game. It may be hyper saturated. It may be a brown and grey PS3/360-era asthetic. Can be anything. But it's done within conventions and they all said that playing on a calibrated TV would be closer to what they saw during development than using manufacturers' out-of-the-box settings.

One did say they that they QA'd and tested on uncalibrated equipment and sometimes adjust art that is unappealing in those uncontrolled environments before shipping.

Not a scientific sample, but I'm certain gaming is not the anti-cinema free for all you seem to think it is.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by urgru; 05-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #27440 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Simple solution to “issues” with Game mode...don’t use it. Any difference in lag is extremely minor and very nearly a placebo effect.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #27441 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Uh. It is. SDR is Rec. 709 / BT 709. HDR has Rec 2020 and DCI P3. These are very, very well defined standards developed by professional broadcasting and cinema associations.

I was curious enough about this that I txted with three artists for large studios (1 first party, 2 substantial third parties) about this today. Two work on character models, one manages third parties that are contracted to produce assets. They all use D65 on calibrated SDR monitors or calibrated HDR monitors or TV-as-monitors (OLED for one).

Anyway, within those defined parameters, they develop a "look" for their game. It may be hyper saturated. It may be a brown and grey PS3/360-era asthetic. Can be anything. But it's done within conventions and they all said that playing on a calibrated TV would be closer to what they saw during development than using manufacturers' out-of-the-box settings.

One did say they that they QA'd and tested on uncalibrated equipment and sometimes adjust art that is unappealing in those uncontrolled environments before shipping.

Not a scientific sample, but I'm certain gaming is not the anti-cinema free for all you seem to think it is.
I hear what you’re saying. I just fundamentally disagree since some huge games look terrible set to REC 709.
cmdrdredd likes this.
post #27442 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
Simple solution to “issues” with Game mode...don’t use it. Any difference in lag is extremely minor and very nearly a placebo effect.
If you don't play games that require precise input (fighting games that call for movements down to specific frames) or competitive esports type of stuff, then you might not notice the input lag. Which is totally fine -- some people are sensitive to it and some people don't notice.

But to say it's "extremely minor" or a "placebo" is an over-generalization.

I don't even play fighting games or online multiplayer, but when not in Game mode in shooters or action games, I feel a bit "sluggish." Trying an Active Reload in a Gears of War game, or playing any level in Cuphead, reveals the input lag outside of Game Mode.
cmdrdredd and Neoshinta like this.
post #27443 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryXN View Post
If you don't play games that require precise input (fighting games that call for movements down to specific frames) or competitive esports type of stuff, then you might not notice the input lag. Which is totally fine -- some people are sensitive to it and some people don't notice.

But to say it's "extremely minor" or a "placebo" is an over-generalization.

I don't even play fighting games or online multiplayer, but when not in Game mode in shooters or action games, I feel a bit "sluggish." Trying an Active Reload in a Gears of War game, or playing any level in Cuphead, reveals the input lag outside of Game Mode.

If you say so. Sounds like placebo to me, rather than it having any real world impact.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #27444 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Or use PC mode!

I don't want to get into a forum fight. People like what they like. But there's an objectively correct way for things to be displayed. PC mode is the only way to get close for SDR content without a professional calibration of Game Mode on these sets.
post #27445 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m sorry but no. If LG ever did something that made the Game Mode input response go away, the TV would be out of my house in a hot second. I know some people say “it doesn’t matter because I don’t competitively game.” I’m sorry but competition or otherwise, games are simply NOT fun without Game mode input response times.

I recognize that people don’t care about input response (usually non-hardcore gamers, competitive or otherwise), but just...no. It’s not minor. No.
cmdrdredd and jk82 like this.
post #27446 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or use PC mode!

I don't want to get into a forum fight. People like what they like. But there's an objectively correct way for things to be displayed. PC mode is the only way to get close for SDR content without a professional calibration of Game Mode on these sets.
Agreed. It’s interesting though that more people in this thread tend to care about input response over “accurate” picture settings for games. I certainly count myself among that majority. For movies/TV, though, I’m obsessed with accuracy.
post #27447 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I suppose everyone perceives things differently, but 21 ms vs the 63 ms this TV measured outside of game mode is a pretty huge difference that I can immediately feel. Anything over 30 ms(and ideally I like it lower, spoiled by the G-Sync monitor I suppose) makes it difficult for me to enjoy all but the slowest of slow paced games.
cmdrdredd likes this.
post #27448 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:
I’m sorry but no. If LG ever did something that made the Game Mode input response go away, the TV would be out of my house in a hot second. I know some people say “it doesn’t matter because I don’t competitively game.” I’m sorry but competition or otherwise, games are simply NOT fun without Game mode input response times.

I recognize that people don’t care about input response (usually non-hardcore gamers, competitive or otherwise), but just...no. It’s not minor. No.
I don't play any games, so I personally wouldn't even notice if my LG OLED didn't have a game mode at all. However, as a lifelong "news junkie", I appreciate that the "simple solution" suggested in the original post with respect to avoiding game mode because it doesn't function properly, and to instead use a different mode despite it being sub-optimal for games, is somewhat analogous to being told to simply avoid burn-in worries by avoiding "excessive" watching of cable news channels with their static logos. Neither "abstinence" approach is an acceptable "solution" to its respective problem. Nor is it a reasonable expectation for the purchaser of an expensive high-end TV, to avoid game mode or to avoid cable news channels, given that both the playing of video games and the watching of cable news channels are both reasonably expected uses of TVs, uses that purchasers of TVs - especially purchasers of expensive high-end TVs - have a reasonable expectation of being able to do, both well and without risk of lasting damage to their sets. To the degree it is reasonably possible for LG to address these problems via future firmware updates, I believe LG owes it to the purchasers of their sets to do so.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #27449 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. It’s interesting though that more people in this thread tend to care about input response over “accurate” picture settings for games. I certainly count myself among that majority. For movies/TV, though, I’m obsessed with accuracy.
For me it's because when I'm gaming I care more about how it plays than how accurate the picture is. In movies I can tell when flesh tones aren't right or the white clouds look off. In games it's not so easy, lots of game elements aren't made to look like real life and are highly stylized.

Quote:

When games are highly stylized and don't look anything like real life, it's hard to take this at face value. I understand what you're saying but look at a game like Zelda Breath of the Wild. It's cel shaded and nothing has a realistic look. Green is still green and red is still red yes but I can't be bothered to care if those shades are not accurate. I have no baseline to make that comparison. Now as I said above, in movies I can tell when flesh tones aren't correct and things like that. I know what the sky in real life looks like so I can tell if the blues are too strong and the clouds aren't the correct shade of white and are too cool or too warm for example. In games I care more about how it plays than a little bit of color innaccuracy.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 05-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.
post #27450 of 36736 Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonenine View Post
I suppose everyone perceives things differently, but 21 ms vs the 63 ms this TV measured outside of game mode is a pretty huge difference that I can immediately feel. Anything over 30 ms(and ideally I like it lower, spoiled by the G-Sync monitor I suppose) makes it difficult for me to enjoy all but the slowest of slow paced games.
This is especially true for someone like me who is a PC gamer and using a mouse on the screen, you can immediately tell it's sluggish and laggy compared to my monitor. I use my B7A for PC games because it supports HDR and 4k, my monitor does not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page