2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 928 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980510Likes

post #27811 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Quick question regarding SDR sources (having nothing else atm) and the perfect settings. I've configured the recommended options from @sonoftumble and do see some differences between them and my old Sony KDL-55HX850.
The main point that I don't like, I seem to loose a lot of black details compared to my Sony. I've already raised the Brightness to 63 (the sweet spot for SDR when using my Xbox for calibration) and getting a tad closer to my Sony. It still seems that I loose details in the blacks on the LG compared to the Sony though
What are your recommendations in this case?
I don't think that I should increase the brightness to 70, right?
OLED Light is around 85, I like a bright picture.
Also I seem to lack a little red on the LG, compared to the Sony, might need to adjust that also a little higher.
I think you're confusing black detail for blacks that are grey when they should not be on the old TV. The OLED panels will show pure black, something no LCD can do. Most LCDs display blacks in levels of gray and not actual black. I think you are chasing something that you actually don't want. Anything on the OLED that is pure black is mastered that way and should not be grey. You're not losing detail I can safely say that. As for the red, I don't know without comparing and without a frame of reference. Maybe your Sony was pushing the reds hotter than it should, maybe not. What I'd do is try the technicolor preset on the OLED which is the most accurate preset they offer out of the box. Watch some content that way for a while, give it a few days. Keep in mind that the OLED will show pure blacks and you are seeing the black levels as they are supposed to be. My father has the Sony X850D and let me tell you it has very bad black levels, even for an LCD display. It has no local dimming control at all so the backlight bleeds into the picture all over the place where as the OLED can turn off individual pixels as needed, hence why you get perfect blacks.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 05-10-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27812 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
DirectTV connected to C7

Does anyone have their LG OLED connected directly to a DirecTV C-41? If so, how long does it take for a picture to appear when you turn on the OLED and the C-41?

Until recently it took 4-5 seconds for picture to appear after turning on my C7 and C-41 (connected to HR44). About a week ago things changed and it's now taking 20-25 seconds (sometimes longer) for a picture to appear after turning on. I get a black screen for that 20-25 seconds. I think the issue started up about a week ago, which coincided with a software update for the HR44 and C-41 (which included the horrific new GUI but don't think that has anything do with it). I have ruled out the HDMI cable and house wiring and have ruled out the particular C-41 (by trying a different one from another TV in its place). I think there is some issue going on with the HDCP handshake between the C-41 and HR44 and LG OLED. Just don't know if the issue is being introduced by the DTV software or a hardware issue with the LG C7 (hoping for it being a DTV software issue). Curious if others are experiencing this.
post #27813 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have put in various settings from various sources and wondered if when I pressed "Apply to all", what is all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
All inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.), not all picture modes. It's just a shortcut to duplicate a tweaked picture mode across inputs.
I assume this shortcut only applies the same settings across all inputs for when "like kind" Dynamic Range source material is being played through the inputs, because from what I understand, one probably doesn't want the same settings for playing each of the various types of HDR source material as one wants (for instance) for playing SDR source material, and essentially all the inputs can be and frequently are used for playing different types of Dynamic Range source material. Is my assumption correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27814 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
Is my assumption correct?
Yes. SDR Technicolor Expert and HDR Technicolor Expert are completely separate picture modes. In general, there's no connection between SDR and HDR modes even if they share the same names. Functionally they're separate.
post #27815 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
DirectTV connected to C7

Does anyone have their LG OLED connected directly to a DirecTV C-41? If so, how long does it take for a picture to appear when you turn on the OLED and the C-41?

Until recently it took 4-5 seconds for picture to appear after turning on my C7 and C-41 (connected to HR44). About a week ago things changed and it's now taking 20-25 seconds (sometimes longer) for a picture to appear after turning on. I get a black screen for that 20-25 seconds. I think the issue started up about a week ago, which coincided with a software update for the HR44 and C-41 (which included the horrific new GUI but don't think that has anything do with it). I have ruled out the HDMI cable and house wiring and have ruled out the particular C-41 (by trying a different one from another TV in its place). I think there is some issue going on with the HDCP handshake between the C-41 and HR44 and LG OLED. Just don't know if the issue is being introduced by the DTV software or a hardware issue with the LG C7 (hoping for it being a DTV software issue). Curious if others are experiencing this.
With the latest DirecTV firmware update - which started rolling out about two weeks ago - the DirecTV 4K boxes are now pushing out a 13.35Gb throughput. It could be that all of your cables are marginal, and with these frequencies and bandwidth - it is taking much longer to sync the source to the display. HDCP may not be the problem.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #27816 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
Mind linking to this post again? There are a LOT of pages in this thread.
See my signature below and click.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #27817 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
With the latest DirecTV firmware update - which started rolling out about two weeks ago - the DirecTV 4K boxes are now pushing out a 13.35Gb throughput. It could be that all of your cables are marginal, and with these frequencies and bandwidth - it is taking much longer to sync the source to the display. HDCP may not be the problem.
The C41 is an HD client box, not 4K.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 05-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #27818 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try dropping a temporary RG6 line from the C-41 to the splitter to see if taking out the existing line has an effect. Would the new software update cause that much throughput for a HR44 to C-41 since they're not 4K? Also, I connected a small LCD screen to the C-41 and after rebooting the C-41 the pic would come up on the small LCD screen is about 3-4 seconds. That makes me think it's something to do with the C7 in the mix but I can see your theory of the coax not being sufficient (too old???) to handle the data to make the handshake connection.
post #27819 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all - just rolled the dice and picked up a display 65c7p from BBY. Hopefully it’s not zapped from being on for a year but also bought the 5 year geek squad warranty. I’m a little nervous but fingers crossed.

Anyway - it does not have a stand and would like to avoid mounting for now. Is anyone who has theirs mounted willing to part with their stand? Thanks!
post #27820 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Quote:
Mind linking to this post again? There are a LOT of pages in this thread. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
See my signature below and click. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Do you mind linking it in a comment? I'm sure I'm not the only person browsing AVS on a mobile device, and the mobile site doesn't display signatures.
post #27821 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdakd21 View Post
Hi all - just rolled the dice and picked up a display 65c7p from BBY. Hopefully it’s not zapped from being on for a year but also bought the 5 year geek squad warranty. I’m a little nervous but fingers crossed.

Anyway - it does not have a stand and would like to avoid mounting for now. Is anyone who has theirs mounted willing to part with their stand? Thanks!
You can also pick up a generic stand of Amazon for $17 or so. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N0VNIA9/
I have that on my 65" Vizio, and it works pretty well. You'll want your own tools to put it together, but I'm happy with the price and performance.

There's also an offset leg version for the same price that might be more stable as the LG's mounting holes are relatively close together.
kgdakd21 likes this.
post #27822 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
I can't imagine that I'm the first to have noticed, but firmware 04.70.90 is now available for download at the LG Korean site. https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/d...=&twoCateCode= (I suggest using Chrome, and its translation feature.)

It is dated 5/11/2018.

The translation of the changelog isn't good, but it appears that this is supposed to be the last firmware update for the 2017 "Ultra HD" sets, which aren't the same as the OLEDs.

I won't try it before morning (on 5/11, EST) at the earliest.
MoInSTL likes this.
post #27823 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
See my signature below and click.

Aha! Will check on desktop later then. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27824 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobkg View Post
Do you mind linking it in a comment? I'm sure I'm not the only person browsing AVS on a mobile device, and the mobile site doesn't display signatures.

Chrome Desktop view to the rescue.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post55037420

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sonoftumble likes this.
post #27825 of 36680 Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Wow that show the Expanse looks excellent on these, too bad it got cancelled...smh.
woodymogs likes this.
post #27826 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So I have been reading about HDMI 2.1 and now I am thinking of holding off on buying a new TV until TV's with the new standard are readily available. Sounds like it will completely future proof the TV.
post #27827 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I think you're confusing black detail for blacks that are grey when they should not be on the old TV. The OLED panels will show pure black, something no LCD can do. Most LCDs display blacks in levels of gray and not actual black. I think you are chasing something that you actually don't want. Anything on the OLED that is pure black is mastered that way and should not be grey. You're not losing detail I can safely say that. As for the red, I don't know without comparing and without a frame of reference. Maybe your Sony was pushing the reds hotter than it should, maybe not. What I'd do is try the technicolor preset on the OLED which is the most accurate preset they offer out of the box. Watch some content that way for a while, give it a few days. Keep in mind that the OLED will show pure blacks and you are seeing the black levels as they are supposed to be. My father has the Sony X850D and let me tell you it has very bad black levels, even for an LCD display. It has no local dimming control at all so the backlight bleeds into the picture all over the place where as the OLED can turn off individual pixels as needed, hence why you get perfect blacks.
Thanks for your input.
Let me try to explain that a little better. Let's take a scene with a face, which is halfway shadowed. It's a dark shadow. On the Sony I can make out facial features in that shadow, while on the LG it's just black and I don't see any features. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, but I don't really prefer it
post #27828 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for your input.
Let me try to explain that a little better. Let's take a scene with a face, which is halfway shadowed. It's a dark shadow. On the Sony I can make out facial features in that shadow, while on the LG it's just black and I don't see any features. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, but I don't really prefer it
I think the issue is, as previously stated, that your brightness is WAY too high. Turn up your OLED Light level to make the picture "brighter" - it only affects luminance. The brightness setting will directly and negatively affect your picture quality.

If that doesn't help, you may be in just a ludicrously bright room and may want to try out some shades or something of the sort.
post #27829 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobkg View Post

Chrome Desktop view to the rescue.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post55037420
Thank you!

Does anyone have advice on adjusting Game SDR to make it match Technicolor Expert for a dimly lit/perfectly dark room? I use the TV for a mix of movies, shows, and gaming, and would prefer to just leave it on Game all the time rather than have to remember to switch picture modes back and forth.
post #27830 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Wow that show the Expanse looks excellent on these, too bad it got cancelled...smh.
Well, that's disappointing to hear. I rather enjoyed seasons 1 & 2.

But it was an obvious choice, seeing as the show was beloved by critics and viewers alike. It really puts the Y in SyFy.
WilliamG likes this.
post #27831 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
So I have been reading about HDMI 2.1 and now I am thinking of holding off on buying a new TV until TV's with the new standard are readily available. Sounds like it will completely future proof the TV.
Don't worry, the R&D engineers are very good. I'm sure they'll come up with something that will make all of us want to upgrade again in two years. 😉

I will say that the B7A I just got looks amazing (vertical banding aside), and is a huge upgrade over my 2-year-old LCD. Adaptive Sync is the main feature I wish it had, but getting that in an OLED at this price point would have meant waiting another two years. Even if I feel the need to upgrade to an HDMI 2.1 OLED in 2-3 years time, I think the 2-3 years of awesome picture quality will be well worth it.

The worst part about my new B7A is that it makes my 2-year-old LCD look like crap by comparison. Watching the LCD now feels like stepping a decade into the past. I'll have to see about replacing it next year, when the HDMI 2.1 sets are out.
Chris Hansen likes this.
post #27832 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I like my set over the fireplace, looks fine to me, but maybe its the speakers <<< Click Here >>>
Holy ****!
post #27833 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6430
Quote:

That is until HDMI 2.1(a) comes out or whatever is planned next. Stop thinking of future proofing and think more of what will suit your needs in the now and next couple of years. There is always going to be something your don’t have that the new TVs do have. There is no such thing as a TV that is “set” for 5 years anymore (tech wise). You’ll be behind the curve as soon as the next years models come out.
mikek and Datagg like this.
post #27834 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
DirectTV connected to C7

Just a thought.... I Don't have DTV any longer, yet i recall when i did a long delay when the resolution was set on the box to native. Un-ticking that option sped things up.. Again this may have nothing to do with your issue, it was just something I experienced in the past. Good luck.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
post #27835 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
That is until HDMI 2.1(a) comes out or whatever is planned next. Stop thinking of future proofing and think more of what will suit your needs in the now and next couple of years. There is always going to be something your don’t have that the new TVs do have. There is no such thing as a TV that is “set” for 5 years anymore (tech wise). You’ll be behind the curve as soon as the next years models come out.
Agreed. If anything has been understood in this field, there is no such thing as future proofing. There will always be something better right around the corner. Live life to the fullest today as no one is promised a tomorrow.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 05-11-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #27836 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Quick question regarding SDR sources (having nothing else atm) and the perfect settings. I've configured the recommended options from @sonoftumble and do see some differences between them and my old Sony KDL-55HX850.
The main point that I don't like, I seem to loose a lot of black details compared to my Sony. I've already raised the Brightness to 63 (the sweet spot for SDR when using my Xbox for calibration) and getting a tad closer to my Sony. It still seems that I loose details in the blacks on the LG compared to the Sony though
What are your recommendations in this case?
I don't think that I should increase the brightness to 70, right?
OLED Light is around 85, I like a bright picture.
Also I seem to lack a little red on the LG, compared to the Sony, might need to adjust that also a little higher.
63? 63?!

Please. No.

I can assure you that 63 is NOT the sweet spot for brightness.
post #27837 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked: 6835
Quote:
I agree 100%. Always something cheaper and better coming, always......

Quote:
A few guys I have spoke with has said.....years away.....not just a year.....Guess your in for a long wait for a new set.....
post #27838 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
63? 63?!

Please. No.

I can assure you that 63 is NOT the sweet spot for brightness.
But you can save all that money on calibration!!!

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #27839 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
And speaking of "behind the curve", ironically, "curve" is a word that helps prove the point... as "curved" TV sets both arrived as "the thing" and then disappeared, all within 5 years...
post #27840 of 36680 Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
But you can save all that money on calibration!!!
Haha so true!

New 2018 SDR Calibration:

Brightness: 63 (74 in bright room)
TV: ON (OFF for inky blacks)

Done!
Greg TB and TravisPNW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page