2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 999 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980307Likes

post #29941 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2074 Post(s)
Liked: 774
is HDR Game Mode brighter in the 04.71.00 update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29942 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2074 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1970 View Post
Regarding the .71 update:

Any other improvements than Dolby Vision?

I still experience unfixable lip sync issues with DD and DD+ content over ARC to my Onkyo receiver. Audio lags at least 300 ms behind the picture which is way beyond the boundary of the reciever's AV sync. I know for a fact it's the B7 since PCM and DTS has no lip sync issues.
does the lip sync issue from internal apps go away if you force output to something besides DD?
post #29943 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nicotine View Post
I updated to the new firmware and have 0 issues so far. picture looks the exact same to me.
Same here...watched TV all night last night on it (mostly 1080p SDR stuff) and it was fine. Rechecked Calibration too and all settings remained consistent from pre-upgrade state
Rodney Nicotine likes this.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29944 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hopefully, someone will soon be able to gives us a rundown on the release notes for FW 4.71, so we can see just what is in it. Speculation, although everyone's right, doesn't trump hard facts. I'm not sure where to find the release notes, thus my searches have not been successful.
post #29945 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TV turning off (busted sleep mode?)

The Amazon Prime app on the Shield is flaky, so I have occasionally used the same app on the LG app store.

When using this app, the TV turns off 10 or 15 minutes into a show. Almost like the sleep timer is on. I made sure it was set to Off in All Settings as well as in the Quick Settings.

15 minutes or so into Westworld it turned off last night. I turned it back on and this time I pressed 'up' every 10 minutes or so, and it never turned off again. It's been a month or two, but I've used the Vudu App on the TV for full movies with no issues. And I know I used the Amazon app back in the fall when I first got the TV and it never shut down.

Any ideas?
post #29946 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I have a question regarding the viewing of HDR and DV content on this tv. I’ve seen in numerous threads where calibrators have stated that you can’t really calibrate this tv in those modes. So, wouldn’t you basically be watching any and all content in these modes with an uncalibrated tv which seems like a waste of such a high performing tv? Am I missing something?
post #29947 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I am not super concerned about what the new firmware fixes. I am sure there are improvements (although it looks like Technicolor advanced) didnt make that cut.

That being said, pretty happy LG continues to support this TV. Not sure why the delay is so long between countries for the releases but i am not going to beat them over that and lack of detailed release notes.
post #29948 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
So I have a question regarding the viewing of HDR and DV content on this tv. I’ve seen in numerous threads where calibrators have stated that you can’t really calibrate this tv in those modes. So, wouldn’t you basically be watching any and all content in these modes with an uncalibrated tv which seems like a waste of such a high performing tv? Am I missing something?
It can be calibrated, you just need the right tools to do so. A professional calibrator will be able to calibrate those modes for you.
nathan_h likes this.
post #29949 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Hopefully, someone will soon be able to gives us a rundown on the release notes for FW 4.71, so we can see just what is in it. Speculation, although everyone's right, doesn't trump hard facts. I'm not sure where to find the release notes, thus my searches have not been successful.

Information from LG USA 1. Improvement
1) disable the IPv6 function temporarily due to network function failure by ISP setting error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
post #29950 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone had any luck passing an HDR signal via a macbook pro HDMI output?
I can get 4k resolution (at 30hz max), but 4k videos fullscreen don't kick the TV over to "engage" an HDR picture mode.
post #29951 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
is HDR Game Mode brighter in the 04.71.00 update?

No, and you really shouldn't want it to be either if it means it's blowing out highlight detail, imo.

I don't think 4.71 changed anything besides the noted IPv6 change. DV still has elevated blacks with an HDMI source with 4.71 as well.
nassiri likes this.
post #29952 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
I have now managed to re watch The Prisoner of Azkaban. I watched the whole movie with Dynamic Contrast off but couldn't replicate your issue. I can only assume that it is a problem on some sets but not on all.

As regards Dynamic Contrast on or off I come heavily down on the side of on. For me it just shows more shadow detail without being over done in the dark scenes. With Dynamic Contrast off I was finding myself straining to see into the shadows and this impacted on my enjoyment of the movie.

Obviously this is a personal preference thing and I would never say there is a correct way and a wrong way. We should all go with what we like best.
Thanks for checking. Sometimes I wonder if people just aren't seeing the transition or if my set has a weird sensor or something. I don't know enough about how exactly ASBL functions. If you don't notice when the set kicks the brightness back up then you'd just think the dark scenes were way too dark without realizing ASBL had kicked on.

I watched Order of the Phoenix last night and this issue was bad in some spots. The conversation near the beginning at the order headquarters with everyone at the table had the set kicked into 2nd level ASBL and the brightness difference looked like the video that the other poster shared of his set. I also noticed that in another dark scene when I paused the movie to use the bathroom and came back to ASBL kicked in (as it should have), when I restarted the movie it did not turn off, and bringing up the menu on my Sony x700 did not kick it off either. I had to bring up the menu on my Yamaha to get it to revert back to normal.

I don't mind DC too much on the dark scenes honestly. It's the lighter scenes that look unnatural to me with it on. It just seems like all it does is lighten everything and that's it.

In any case, I know what my options are. DC or turning this off in the service menu. I hesitate to disable this function with my wife and small children using this set, but it may end up bothering me to that extent. It's killing these films and will kill others.
alexbarbel likes this.

post #29953 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
^ And I see dead people, sorry, just have to shake my head when someone says they are the only one who can see something when there are plenty of owners like myself who've owned numerous high-end displays, spent money having them professionally calibrated are unable to see what you see We take our pictures seriously

Not seeing what your seeing. Did you wonder if its your blu-ray player (Sony right) or something else? I have an Oppo 203 and own the Harry Potter UHD box set. All 8 movies played without a hitch on the Oppo, no freezes, audio drops, etc. Premium certified Monoprice cable s all around.

There are also over 3 million views, if this was a "problem" you can bet there would be more conversation at least a couple of seperate threads by now - see Sony black level threads as an example. This year's LG displays seem to have been picked over more than any other past display I can remember on AVS - whether its uniformity, banding, upscaling, motion, DV bug, etc. If the problem is as noticeable as you say it is on your set, then I'd be reaching out to LG, assuming its not limited to Harry only.
zinfella and gambler52 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #29954 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I watched Order of the Phoenix last night and this issue was bad in some spots. The conversation near the beginning at the order headquarters with everyone at the table had the set kicked into 2nd level ASBL and the brightness difference looked like the video that the other poster shared of his set. I also noticed that in another dark scene when I paused the movie to use the bathroom and came back to ASBL kicked in (as it should have), when I restarted the movie it did not turn off, and bringing up the menu on my Sony x700 did not kick it off either. I had to bring up the menu on my Yamaha to get it to revert back to normal.
Can't say I have ever seen this in a movie but I do get it all the time when using my TV as a PC monitor and it does get annoying when it dims right down. The price we have to pay for protection, I suppose.
Omni009 likes this.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #29955 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
ASBL kicking in on actual content is definitely a real issue, though pretty rare in my experience. I think it's only happened to me twice... that I know of, as Omni says because the dimming is so gradual it's very easy to miss until the brightness suddenly goes back up. Most noticeably I had this on Unforgiven which has a lot of dark, long, mostly static shots, and I'm pretty sure I had active HDR enabled when I watched that so I don't think that's guaranteed to work either. Better to just turn it off if you can.
post #29956 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
does the lip sync issue from internal apps go away if you force output to something besides DD?
The lip sync issues only affect my PS4 Pro and cable tv set top box which are connected to HDMI port 4 and 1 respectively. Audio is routed over ARC to my Onkyo AVR. The internal apps are fine.

Also the lip sync issues only affect DD and DD+ content. If I select DTS instead of DD audio from the PS4 Pro audio is in sync. It seems the tv adds extra processing which delays the audio when it receives an incoming DD or DD+ signal over HDMI.
post #29957 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Anyone else not able to change Black Level when watching HDR-10? I see that some have it on “Low,” but mine’s set to “Auto” and greyed out with Technicolor Expert and Cinema(user).

I bought my set at Costco, so I’m on 04.70.50.

Still greyed out and set to “Auto” after installing 04.71.00

Very odd
post #29958 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just bought a 55" LG OLED C7P 3 days ago and have noticed an issue when bright scenes pan across the screen.

The best way to describe it is that it appears like a very fast and faint flicker.
It is particularly noticeable in the corners of my vision.
This does not seem to happen when bright scenes are stationary.
It also seems to occur whether options such as TrueMotion are set to on as well as when everything is turned off and in Game mode.
I have been using the built in Netflix and Amazon Prime apps to check this so there are no faulty cables at play.
It seems to occur regardless of whether the streaming show is UHD or HD.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with the OLED screen?
If so, what is it called and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
post #29959 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Since I just added a couple of surround speakers to move up from 3.1 to 5.1, I'm looking for recommendations on content to show the 5.1's capabilities.

I had an old barely acceptable 5.1 setup in our old house, but I had to cut back to 3.1 when we moved into this 55+ mobile home park last year. That old setup was okay, but not up to the quality of the Klipsch's I have now.
FR & FL Klipsch R-15M
C Klipsch RC-42 ll
LS & RS Klipsch R-14S
LFE old Denon 8" model from a home theater in a box setup, soon to be replaced with Klipsch 12" sub
post #29960 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked: 3548
^Star Trek Beyond, Terminator Genysis comes to mind.
post #29961 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ And I see dead people, sorry, just have to shake my head when someone says they are the only one who can see something when there are plenty of owners like myself who've owned numerous high-end displays, spent money having them professionally calibrated are unable to see what you see We take our pictures seriously

Not seeing what your seeing. Did you wonder if its your blu-ray player (Sony right) or something else? I have an Oppo 203 and own the Harry Potter UHD box set. All 8 movies played without a hitch on the Oppo, no freezes, audio drops, etc. Premium certified Monoprice cable s all around.

There are also over 3 million views, if this was a "problem" you can bet there would be more conversation at least a couple of separate threads by now - see Sony black level threads as an example. This year's LG displays seem to have been picked over more than any other past display I can remember on AVS - whether its uniformity, banding, upscaling, motion, DV bug, etc. If the problem is as noticeable as you say it is on your set, then I'd be reaching out to LG, assuming its not limited to Harry only.
That's why I said I wonder if...and I'm not the only person who has seen this issue, although others have seen it on different content. Many people don't see the black bars from the 5% slides, or the white flashes that others can. I would counter that TV's have a large history of problems that some people notice and others do not.

Also, it does have at least one thread here I found...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...g-oled-tv.html

And other topics on reddit and such. And I tried the movie both in streaming and on disk, using different devices. Same each time. This is an ASBL issue. LG already basically told people that it's a feature, not a bug.
alexbarbel likes this.

post #29962 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthfus View Post
I just bought a 55" LG OLED C7P 3 days ago and have noticed an issue when bright scenes pan across the screen.

The best way to describe it is that it appears like a very fast and faint flicker.
It also seems to occur whether options such as TrueMotion are set to on as well as when everything is turned off and in Game mode.
I have been using the built in Netflix and Amazon Prime apps to check this so there are no faulty cables at play.
Sounds a lot like sample-and-hold flicker/judder, but it should really go away (or at least be mitigated) if you enable TruMotion and max out the de-judder slider.
post #29963 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post
ASBL kicking in on actual content is definitely a real issue, though pretty rare in my experience. I think it's only happened to me twice... that I know of, as Omni says because the dimming is so gradual it's very easy to miss until the brightness suddenly goes back up. Most noticeably I had this on Unforgiven which has a lot of dark, long, mostly static shots, and I'm pretty sure I had active HDR enabled when I watched that so I don't think that's guaranteed to work either. Better to just turn it off if you can.
This has been my experience as well. And this is the 3rd time I've specifically seen Unforgiven mentioned as a movie that is susceptible to this. I could try that one too but I only have the blu ray copy to test. The issues with the HP movies have all been UHD so far.

I remember so many people saying how dark movies like the HP movies are, which made me wonder if, just like you said, some ASBL kicked in during the dark scenes and they just made a transition and people missed it. It would be easy to miss. That's all I'm saying.

But I won't beat the dead horse. If others mention it I'll comment on it, but I know what my options are to "fix" it.
alexbarbel likes this.

post #29964 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Since I just added a couple of surround speakers to move up from 3.1 to 5.1, I'm looking for recommendations on content to show the 5.1's capabilities.

I had an old barely acceptable 5.1 setup in our old house, but I had to cut back to 3.1 when we moved into this 55+ mobile home park last year. That old setup was okay, but not up to the quality of the Klipsch's I have now.
FR & FL Klipsch R-15M
C Klipsch RC-42 ll
LS & RS Klipsch R-14S
LFE old Denon 8" model from a home theater in a box setup, soon to be replaced with Klipsch 12" sub
Master and Commander is great in 5.1 and you don't have to wait long. The early scenes on board ship have you almost sea sick , they are that well done.
Also the HDR Harry Potters are very good.
skip61 likes this.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 06-21-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #29965 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FR & FL Klipsch R-15M
C Klipsch RC-42 ll
LS & RS Klipsch R-14S
House of Flying Daggers. The echo game scene.

post #29966 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed this issue with the OLED screen?
If so, what is it called and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Sounds like judder to me too. I have de-judder at 2, that's about all I could take since I hate the truemotion effects.

post #29967 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Sounds like judder to me too. I have de-judder at 2, that's about all I could take since I hate the truemotion effects.

Thanks,

I will try this out tomorrow.
I also really hate the Soap Opera Effect that Truemotion causes.
As someone who also hates Truemotion, do you like your OLED TV with the de-judder activated?

I'm concerned that this flicker/judder will detract from the TV or cause headaches over time (just thinking about how terrible some of the old computer monitors were for flickering)
post #29968 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post
Sounds a lot like sample-and-hold flicker/judder, but it should really go away (or at least be mitigated) if you enable TruMotion and max out the de-judder slider.

Thank you for this information.
I personally hate the TruMotion effect as it makes everything look too crisp and like I'm watching a play.
I will try out the de-judder tomorrow to see what it is like.

Is the judder an issue with all OLED TVs?
The last TV I purchased was a Sony KDL-46EX500 in 2011 and I don't experience the same issue on that LCD TV.
post #29969 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks,

I will try this out tomorrow.
I also really hate the Soap Opera Effect that Truemotion causes.
As someone who also hates Truemotion, do you like your OLED TV with the de-judder activated?

I'm concerned that this flicker/judder will detract from the TV or cause headaches over time (just thinking about how terrible some of the old computer monitors were for flickering)
Basically I found a panning/judder scene and turned on Truemotion to "User". I put everything at 0. I turned up the judder until I could see some SOE, which was 3 for me. But I think 4 is the setting I see the most often. Above that you'll start to notice the dreaded SOE most likely.

But I still have judder. It's just mitigated a little bit.

post #29970 of 36111 Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(just thinking about how terrible some of the old computer monitors were for flickering)
It's funny that you mention this because the CRT flicker is kind of the solution to the judder-motion blur and vice-versa. It's has to do with how are eyes/brain work and it's more or less an unsolvable problem at low refresh rates, you either get one type of artifact or the other.

Personally I don't experience the 24fps judder on my C7 to be any worse than my previous 2015 Samsung LED, but differences exist for sure. I'm not a 100% on this but I believe it has to do with the pixel response time. Faster response time (OLED is very fast) causes more noticeable judder in the form of separate images, whereas slower response times cause more of a smearing/trailing effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page