AVS Forum banner
5M views 40K replies 3K participants last post by  ToonMasterTim 
#1 ·
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.

#25,281 ·
Hi All! First time poster. I'm here due to an issue that I am having with my C7. I have a Xbox One X hooked up to my C7 via HDMI. I am having an issue where the TV will randomly lose the signal from the Xbox One X. So far it seems to happen most when playing Destiny 2, which is an HDR and 4K game. Basically the TV will all of a sudden go blank, show some static for a split second, then show the no signal screen. The fix is to unplug the HDMI cable and re-plug or restart the Xbox. I have the Xbox plugged directly into the wall and I have replaced the HDMI cable that came with the XBox. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

A.J.

#25,282 ·
Hi All! First time poster. I'm here due to an issue that I am having with my C7. I have a Xbox One X hooked up to my C7 via HDMI. I am having an issue where the TV will randomly lose the signal from the Xbox One X. So far it seems to happen most when playing Destiny 2, which is an HDR and 4K game. Basically the TV will all of a sudden go blank, show some static for a split second, then show the no signal screen. The fix is to unplug the HDMI cable and re-plug or restart the Xbox. I have the Xbox plugged directly into the wall and I have replaced the HDMI cable that came with the XBox. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

A.J.
This happens on all inputs? Happens with other 4k and non-4k games? TV is running the latest firmware?

#25,283 ·
So far it seems to happen most when playing Destiny 2, which is an HDR and 4K game. Basically the TV will all of a sudden go blank, show some static for a split second, then show the no signal screen. The fix is to unplug the HDMI cable and re-plug or restart the Xbox.
Almost certainly a cable problem. Go get yourself one of the Monoprice certified premium high speed cables and try again.

#25,285 ·
Well, there you have it boys. I just asked Vincent Teoh about dynamic tone mapping on HDR game mode update for 2017 LG OLED models. As far as LG has told him, it's a no go due to hardware limitation (CPU limitation). I asked him about roumors of B8 having the same CPU as 2017 models, he clarified it's similar, but no the same CPU, thus the limitation. There you have it, we can put this to rest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Note also manufactures tend to not right away admit "key new features" will be on older sets to push the agenda. Gotta make the latest and greatest stand out as a must buy for awhile at least.

#25,286 · (Edited)
So does anyone else with a Yamaha receiver who also has HDMI CEC ON have some issues with the tv? When I press the power button and both devices come on - it always defaults to TV audio!

I never had this problem with my Samsung TV, but now it always starts up on TV audio. I can sit there and watch the receiver turn on to AV2 like I want it to, and then it switches to AUD1 for the TV right away as both devices come on.

Edit: Searched the thread and found no solutions. It is definitely an LG HDMI CEC issue. Reading back confirmed that these TVs don't play nice with other devices.

Exact same setup with my Samsung TV and I no issues at all. Not so with the LG.

Oh and my Philips 4K bluray player is a nightmare as well. It auto switches back to TV audio anytime I pause a movie, or skip to the next scene - I actually have to turn HDMI CEC off on the receiver to even make movies watchable.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 btw. Maybe I will go with Denon next time. Someone else in this thread found a setting in their Denon that always remembered the last HDMI input and didn't ALWAYS turn onto the TV audio input upon powering on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#25,288 ·
Well, there you have it boys. I just asked Vincent Teoh about dynamic tone mapping on HDR game mode update for 2017 LG OLED models. As far as LG has told him, it's a no go due to hardware limitation (CPU limitation). I asked him about roumors of B8 having the same CPU as 2017 models, he clarified it's similar, but no the same CPU, thus the limitation. There you have it, we can put this to rest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Which isn’t a big deal for me in the end. I think games look great on my B7

#25,289 ·
is there any way to lock the digital HDMI signal type? for example on my kuro i could lock my signal to these 4 options: 1) Digital Component 4:2:2 Locked 2) Digital Component 4:4:4 Locked 3) Digital RGB 16-235 Locked 4) Digital RGB 0-255 Locked. Does the LG C7 have that option?
Your source device determines this (at least for #1 and #2 ). You can specify RGB levels by input regardless of what RGB levels are sent to the TV. For instance you can set RGB to 0-255, but still send 16-235 with your source device as the TV has no control over what your source device sends to the TV.

If you don't receive 1-4 is your desired outcome that the display not show the content?

#25,291 ·
I think they look definitely better with cinema mode and dynamic tone mapping.

With 60+ ms of lag no thanks. They look great in game mode to me. Actually cinema mode looks the same with my settings. Only standard is vastly different.

Reactions: Ricker62
#25,292 ·
Chad B responded a while ago to a question about KevinSartori's post and he apparently echoed what you said above:

That's because he had posted much earlier that Edge Enhancer seems to be a useless function:

That is obviously in direct contrast to what Kevin noticed. Weird how the two observations can be so different.

We don't need to take any of this on authority or faith, however. We can confirm one way or another for ourselves by doing Kevin's testing procedure. I still haven't done it, which should take just a minute or two, but I'm too lazy to do even that. Aren't we all a bit like the guys in WALL-E now?

Ha, that was pretty funny! And I agree... first we start saving music/movie discs to a hard drive so we don't have to get off our lazy assets to put a disc in the tray, now people are going to hook up Alexa to their systems because it's a bit much to reach for that remote ;)

#25,293 ·
Well I haven't tested every single picture mode but I have tested a decent sample on my B7 and I found that where Edge Enhancer is available as an option then setting it to Off cancels any Sharpening that you have dialled in but setting it to On will exhibit the Sharpening that you had set. This is true for BOTH HDR Picture Modes AND SDR Picture Modes.
The way I tested was to select a picture mode, set Sharpening to max (50) and then freeze the video that is playing and toggle between Edge Enhancer On and Off. It is very easy to then see the difference that Edge Enhancer is making.
Also using this method I left Egde Enhancer On and toggled between Sharpness at 10 and at 0. I couldn't see any difference at all in the two.
Very confused by LG saying it is a Bypass function so set it to On. I suppose they mean that when it is Off it bypasses your Sharpness settings, which indeed it does.:confused:
the way that LG worded it is also interesting- "The Edge Enhancer setting in the Expert Picture Mode Settings does not increase sharpness; the default ‘On’ setting is a bypass function, and is therefore recommended"

they specifically mention that it only applies in the 'Expert' Picture Modes, which should mean it's only for ISF Dark and ISF Bright (at the time they released that pdf the Technicolor Mode had yet to be released)...something else must be going on beyond what is being shown on the display...D-Nice specifically stated that the bypass only applies to HDR modes...RTings recommends the same (Off for SDR and On for HDR)...in every Picture Mode Edge Enhancer defaults to On which is also strange...you would think that at the very least the 3 Expert Modes would default to Off since they were calibrated by people outside of LG I'm assuming...Edge Enhancer continues to be the big mystery setting of the 2017 LG OLED's

#25,294 ·
@alexbarbel - after your sharpness testing, what do you like for its settings?
I have put edge enhancer to On and Sharpness to 10.
I can't say that I actually see a difference between Sharpness at 0 or 10 but I did read somewhere that below 10 softens the image and as I had to decide on a setting I thought 10 was as good as 0. If you start to climb higher you will see the artificial edge enhancement common to these sharpening settings.

#25,295 ·
Your source device determines this (at least for #1 and #2 ). You can specify RGB levels by input regardless of what RGB levels are sent to the TV. For instance you can set RGB to 0-255, but still send 16-235 with your source device as the TV has no control over what your source device sends to the TV.

If you don't receive 1-4 is your desired outcome that the display not show the content?
So what you are saying is that whatever the source is sending, whether it be RGB or component, the TV will automatically sync up with it? I use my TV solely for console gaming and I do receive content. Right now i have the TV "Black Levels" setting set to Low (RGB Limited 16-235), and my PS4 sending out RGB limited. However I just wondering if I could set my TV to accept only RGB Full (0-255).

#25,296 ·
So what you are saying is that whatever the source is sending, whether it be RGB or component, the TV will automatically sync up with it?
Yes it does.

I use my TV solely for console gaming and I do receive content. Right now i have the TV "Black Levels" setting set to Low (RGB Limited 16-235), and my PS4 sending out RGB limited. However I just wondering if I could set my TV to accept only RGB Full (0-255).
You can set the RGB level (high or low) per input.

If you set the TV to RGB 0-255 you can still send RGB 16-235, but blacks will be gray, etc. You can also do the reverse where blacks and whites are clipped.

#25,299 ·
Well guys, thanks to all of you (and some Sony x900e thread too), yesterday in the afternoon, I’m another father of an Oled baby [emoji16].
It’s a shame they run out of sets to came back home with it, but on Wednesday I’ll have it. I’ll finger cross to the panel lottery, wish me luck! I’ll post what I see (btw, how you guys see the hours of a the panel, and that stuff?).

Thanks so so much for advice me in the right direction and always be so nice to me [emoji4]

#25,300 ·
Any chance we get bfi on the 2017 models? Id honestly rather have that than anything else at this point. I miss my plasma motion resolution.
From all accounts I have seen, BFI is crap. It just makes your screen flicker. I have seen it on the A1 and it was useless.

I also had a plasma and I think that motion was better, but BFI (at least the way I have seen it implemented) is not the answer.