AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

adamadamadam 03-15-2017 09:11 AM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.

VidPro 03-15-2017 09:25 AM

My C7 is stuck on a truck in New York because of the blizzard. It's showing a delivery of Friday. I love Sony but I feel the same way about the extra cost. Plus I started this TV update journey with a $2500 limit for a 55" and then got the itch to jump up to the 65" since I've been stuck in the 50" and under world for a very long time. Now I'm in the $4500 plus range and any more than that buyers remorse will set in quickly. :)

VidPro 03-15-2017 09:37 AM

Hate the wait! When I ordered my car I spent the wait watching every YouTube video I could find. I've been doing the same with the jump OLED. I'm such a nerd.

Bob539 03-15-2017 10:12 AM

I ordered mine through bby on line a little over a week ago. Delivery date 4/4. I also wanted to give DNice a bump on if his initial impressions were still holding true.

VidPro 03-15-2017 11:15 AM

I'd like to hear an update too. I also hope he still makes his way to the Boston area so I can eventually have the C7 calibrated.

adamadamadam 03-15-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51525369)
I'd like to hear an update too. I also hope he still makes his way to the Boston area so I can eventually have the C7 calibrated.

I heard that the out of the box settings are pretty good this time around.

adamadamadam 03-15-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob539 (Post 51523385)
I ordered mine through bby on line a little over a week ago. Delivery date 4/4. I also wanted to give DNice a bump on if his initial impressions were still holding true.

Do you have a link on that?

cbolton 03-15-2017 01:28 PM

Looking forward to seeing these in the hands of people here. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 65" C7 but want to get early impressions before doing so!

VidPro 03-15-2017 01:45 PM

I'll certainly post here Saturday. It'll take me most of Friday (depending on delivery time) to get it on its new wall mount. I'm expecting nauseating motion blur and artifacts along with screen uniformity that will having me jumping out of my third floor window.

All kidding aside, it's dead pixels and really bad screen uniformity that has me more worried than motion issues.

bpmurr 03-15-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51521497)
So I just placed my order for an OLED65B7V through an LG program I have through work so I thought I'd start THE thread.

Having read the Forbes review of the W7 and seen the difference in price on the Sony A1 I can't imagine the Sony will be good enough to make it worth paying the extra, so it's an easy decision. As far as I know the only difference between the B7 and the C7 (on a wall hang) is that the C7 has a two-tone bezel, which doesn't sound too appealing.

Why are you breaking the B7 and C7 series into their own owner's thread? Given the picture quality and processing is the same across the board for 2017 I don't see the logic. The only difference is cosmetics and audio. Why not have all the 2017 LG OLED models roll into one owners thread? I could see maybe breaking the W7 off separate given the unique nature of that set.

adamadamadam 03-15-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmurr (Post 51530977)
Why are you breaking the B7 and C7 series into their own owner's thread? Given the picture quality and processing is the same across the board for 2017 I don't see the logic. The only difference is cosmetics and audio. Why not have all the 2017 LG OLED models roll into one owners thread? I could see maybe breaking the W7 off separate given the unique nature of that set.

I was just copying last year's thread tbh. I suppose the E and G have sound and VESA differences

venus933 03-15-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51527969)
I heard that the out of the box settings are pretty good this time around.

But I think those comments were based upon the units from the San Francisco event where it's possible LG calibrated them before hand. But hopefully those comments ring true with actual retail units.

Good luck to you and the other early adapters!

buzzard767 03-15-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51534217)
I was just copying last year's thread tbh. I suppose the E and G have sound and VESA differences

If you want to change the thread title, report your first post and let the moderators know what you would like changed.

Cleveland Plasma 03-15-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51521497)

Great to Here they are in stock in London, they have just hit the bricks in the US too ;)

venus933 03-15-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard767 (Post 51536329)
If you want to change the thread title, report your first post and let the moderators know what you would like changed.

But if he changes the thread title to include all the models then he may get complaints from those who prefer one for each model. But not from me!

buzzard767 03-15-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzard767 (Post 51536329)

Quote:

Originally Posted by venus933 (Post 51536737)
But if he changes the thread title to include all the models then he may get complaints from those who prefer one for each model. But not from me!

The moderator will change it to exactly what is requested. You can always remove the whiners from view....

Jimmy6166 03-16-2017 03:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've finally unpacked my C7 65inch.

Here's the down and dirty.

Pros:
-Improvement in shadow detail as everyone as mentioned. There's a particular scene in the Batman: Dark knight that I use to determine loss of shadow detail which wasn't lost in the C7.
-HDR is also baked into youtube, as the HDR symbol pops up when playing a HDR clip.

Cons:
-The screen seems to be tilting backwards? I've tried all I can, adjusting as much as I can, but it seems to tilt back no matter what. I think I've got a dodgy stand.
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!

Manuxs1806 03-16-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 (Post 51544009)

Pros:
-Improvement in shadow detail as everyone as mentioned. There's a particular scene in the Batman: Dark knight that I use to determine loss of shadow detail which wasn't lost in the C7.
-HDR is also baked into youtube, as the HDR symbol pops up when playing a HDR clip.

Cons:
-The screen seems to be tilting backwards? I've tried all I can, adjusting as much as I can, but it seems to tilt back no matter what. I think I've got a dodgy stand.
-Still a bit of vignetting and slight dark streaks, but nothing as noticeable as my B6.

Enjoy!

Thank you for this feedback !
Couple of questions :

- Have you tried HDR on UHD Blu-Ray ? How is the peak brightness ? Is it good ?
- Do you see this vignetting and streaks on real content ?

Regarding the tilting, maybe it's normal ?

video_analysis 03-16-2017 03:52 AM

If you look hard enough, any streaks will eventually show up in content. Just the nature of the backplane beast.

Manuxs1806 03-16-2017 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51544121)
If you look hard enough, any streaks will eventually show up in content. Just the nature of the backplane beast.

Then what to do ? Exchange the screen and hope for less visible streaks on the next one ? Or consider it's part of the technology and try to get used to it despite the high price ?

video_analysis 03-16-2017 03:58 AM

The latter...that hunt will make you miserable and cause you to develop many prematurely gray hairs. :) After 5 OLEDs, I haven't found one without the streaking showing up somewhere (the 65" G6 has come the closest to being free of it). Despite this, the benefits of zero blacks outweigh the cons (NOT including the ugly 2015 models).

VidPro 03-16-2017 03:59 AM

That doesn't look bad in compassion to what I've seen on here by other members. Hopefully it'll get even better over time.

I will not perform any slide tests (must resist my tech nerd OCD habits), I am going to just use it as I normally would. If it's easily apparent in normal content I'll go ahead and run slides to see how bad it is.

Wizziwig 03-16-2017 04:00 AM

Quote:

Enjoy!

Have you run any automatic wear compensation cycles on the set before taking those pics? Need to run for 4 hours, then turn off the display and wait.

So far, I think I actually prefer the 5% uniformity of your B6. Pretty mild right side 'zipper' vignetting compared to some of the examples posted here.

video_analysis 03-16-2017 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51544177)
That doesn't look bad in compassion to what I've seen on here by other members. Hopefully it'll get even better over time.

I will not perform any slide tests (must resist my tech nerd OCD habits), I am going to just use it as I normally would. If it's easily apparent in normal content I'll go ahead and run slides to see how bad it is.

Hope you weren't referring to my latest, I have struck out too many times.:mad::o

We badly need an update from D-Nice...he caught them in content early on.

venus933 03-16-2017 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizziwig (Post 51544185)
Have you run any automatic wear compensation cycles on the set before taking those pics? Need to run for 4 hours, then turn off the display and wait.

So far, I think I actually prefer the 5% uniformity of your B6. Pretty mild right side 'zipper' vignetting compared to some of the examples posted here.

I don't know, I think the later (C7) would look (in terms of banding) better with most content. In any event it'll be interesting to see how it (slides) looks with some hours on it.

adamadamadam 03-16-2017 04:29 AM

Quote:

Congrats. Can you post pictures of the 2-tone bezel? What's the motion like?

bpmurr 03-16-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:

Enjoy!

Looks like a keeper to me! Not bad enough to play the exchange game with. Looking forward to more of your impressions as you spend time with the set.

VidPro 03-16-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51544249)
Hope you weren't referring to my latest, I have struck out too many times.:mad::o

We badly need an update from D-Nice...he caught them in content early on.

No, not at you.

I'm hoping and maybe even a little bit of praying I don't go through this nightmare. I get the C7 tomorrow and it will take me a bit to mount it. I have this urge to set it up on a table before I even go through the process just to give it a quick check.

I have this urge to do a slide break-in like the one I did with my Pioneers but I'm not sure if there is even a process that has been posted to do this with an OLED.

Manuxs1806 03-16-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51544169)
The latter...that hunt will make you miserable and cause you to develop many prematurely gray hairs. :) After 5 OLEDs, I haven't found one without the streaking showing up somewhere (the 65" G6 has come the closest to being free of it). Despite this, the benefits of zero blacks outweigh the cons (NOT including the ugly 2015 models).

Thank you. This will be my first OLED (hoepfully, I will get it on saturday), so I am quite anxious.
In the past, I got plasma and LED, all with uniformity issues.
And yes, the hunt for the perfect screen got me into a few family crisis, and I lost everytime :D

Cleveland Plasma 03-16-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51545145)
I have this urge to do a slide break-in like the one I did with my Pioneers but I'm not sure if there is even a process that has been posted to do this with an OLED.

Break in is always a choice. If you choose to do it, the slides would be the same.....

VidPro 03-16-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 51549865)
Break in is always a choice. If you choose to do it, the slides would be the same.....

Ok thanks.

On another note, my delivery is in limbo. YRC freight tracking is a joke and the company can't give me a reasonable date that it's expected for delivery so I can figure out a work schedule. I understand the storm created delays but I fail to understand how at least a window of a possible day can't be figured out. I guess I'm spoiled with typical delivery options.

fafrd 03-16-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:

:(I'll pop in some pics at 5% for comparison between my B6 and C7

Enjoy!

Which is which? The second 5% pic is significantly worse to my eyes due to color non-uniformity (pinkish hue).

fafrd 03-16-2017 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'm still not sure which of his pics is the B6 versus the C7.

By way of comparison, here is the 4% slide from my C6...

Wizziwig 03-16-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venus933 (Post 51544345)
I don't know, I think the later (C7) would look (in terms of banding) better with most content. In any event it'll be interesting to see how it (slides) looks with some hours on it.

Taking another look, you may be right. The B6 has a touch of reverse-vignetting that will probably produce a bright halo around the darker screen center at low <3% luminance unless you crush blacks to hide it. It's all a total crap shoot. It's pretty clear that LG doesn't actually adjust their ant-vignetting band-aid on a per-tv basis. They apply the same amount on every TV and it rarely matches the amount of actual compensation needed on each individual panel. Hopefully they will address the root cause next year instead of just trying to hide it.

venus933 03-16-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 51551729)
Which is which? The second 5% pic is significantly worse to my eyes due to color non-uniformity (pinkish hue).

The second picture is the C7, you can make out the silver/metal stand.

I see what you mean, the banding will probably stay to some extent but the color uniformity may get better with time.

fafrd 03-16-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizziwig (Post 51551945)
Taking another look, you may be right. The B6 has a touch of reverse-vignetting that will probably produce a bright halo around the darker screen center at low <3% luminance unless you crush blacks to hide it. It's all a total crap shoot. It's pretty clear that LG doesn't actually adjust their ant-vignetting band-aid on a per-tv basis. They apply the same amount on every TV and it rarely matches the amount of actual compensation needed on each individual panel. Hopefully they will address the root cause next year instead of just trying to hide it.

That would be nice, though honestly, I consider the streaking / vertical fixed-pattern-noise / near-black DSE to be the more significant picture quality defect at this point.

My C6 has some residual vignette including some 'black hinge' but I honestly never, ever notice it on actual content.

Whenever there is a near-black scene, the near-black fixed-pattern-noise becomes visible. It's usually not distracting enough to break immersion, but if there is a pan, forget about it - DSE and distraction up the wazoo...

I'd rather see a 2018 panel with the same amount of vignette/reverse-vignette and greatly reduced near-black vertical fixed pattern noise / streaking than the converse.

fafrd 03-16-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venus933 (Post 51553177)

Got it - thanks.

How come no one else is commenting on the poor color uniformity of the C7?

Perhaps it's because he has not calibrated whitpoint / greyscale yet, but that C7 shows a marked shift to pink on either side of the screen that is far worse than my C6 demonstrated out-of-the-box...

chunon 03-16-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51550977)
Ok thanks.

On another note, my delivery is in limbo. YRC freight tracking is a joke and the company can't give me a reasonable date that it's expected for delivery so I can figure out a work schedule. I understand the storm created delays but I fail to understand how at least a window of a possible day can't be figured out. I guess I'm spoiled with typical delivery options.

I have heard bad stories about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chunon 03-16-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 51553497)
Got it - thanks.

How come no one else is commenting on the poor color uniformity of the C7?

Perhaps it's because he has not calibrated whitpoint / greyscale yet, but that C7 shows a marked shift to pink on either side of the screen that is far worse than my C6 demonstrated out-of-the-box...

I have to agree there , first thing I noticed but is the camera exaggerating the effect ?

VidPro 03-16-2017 11:53 AM

Believe me, after the first call I searched out reviews. Sounds like people who get their deliveries are lucky. I'm waiting for a change in the est. delivery date of tomorrow.

Wizziwig 03-16-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 51553297)
I'd rather see a 2018 panel with the same amount of vignette/reverse-vignette and greatly reduced near-black vertical fixed pattern noise / streaking than the converse.

I guess I sort of gave up on a fix for the streaking because it seems like a larger problem due to the fact it covers the entire panel. I classify it similar to clouding/mura and DSE on LCD panels. That LCD problem had never been solved and likely never will be.

Since the vignetting is restricted to the borders of the TV and fairly consistent on the 65", it seemed like something more likely to get fixed. Heck, they could solve it today by just adding a fat bezel around the screen that covers it up - just cut the panels a bit larger so you don't lose full 4K resolution. ;)

video_analysis 03-16-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 51553297)
That would be nice, though honestly, I consider the streaking / vertical fixed-pattern-noise / near-black DSE to be the more significant picture quality defect at this point.

My C6 has some residual vignette including some 'black hinge' but I honestly never, ever notice it on actual content.

Whenever there is a near-black scene, the near-black fixed-pattern-noise becomes visible. It's usually not distracting enough to break immersion, but if there is a pan, forget about it - DSE and distraction up the wazoo...

You truly got an exemplary panel (and you got it for a song). I'd kill for one like that. These complaints somehow ring hollow. :p

alettiere 03-16-2017 12:58 PM

I can pretty much guarantee that if you're sensitive to detail, you'll easily spot that in content - particularly content that contains dimly lit scenes that are heavy on gray, but not quite black. I went through it with my B6 and thought I could live with it, but couldn't. It's kind of like DSE on those snow/sky pans. Once you see it, it's kind of hard to ignore it.

Unless you're incredibly OCD, I'd say just watch it and accept it as a weakness. Realistically, you won't see it unless you're looking for it - and even then, it's bound to show up pretty rarely depending on what it is you're watching.

video_analysis 03-16-2017 01:30 PM

^^Sidebar: Do you really think Sony is going to eradicate those and, if so, without some kind of artifacts? I think you might be expecting a miracle.

fafrd 03-16-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51557577)
You truly got an exemplary panel (and you got it for a song). I'd kill for one like that. These complaints somehow ring hollow. :p

Well first, I wasn't complaining, just pointing out that future improvements to near-black vertical-streaking/DSE would be more important than future improvements to further reduce residual vignette (at least to me ;)).

And second, to the extent that many/most of us AVSers are locked in a Sisyphean quest for PQ perfection, the occassional near-black DSE I notice during pans is probably a notch or two less frequent than the occassional motion stutter that jumps out at me, both of which are are less distracting / objectionable than the frequent local-dimming artifacts I put up with on my Vizio P70...

video_analysis 03-16-2017 01:36 PM

Understood, context is (almost) everything. Part of my outburst was admittedly fueled by jealousy. ;)

fafrd 03-16-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51558817)
Understood, context is (almost) everything. Part of my outburst was admittedly fueled by jealousy. ;)

I did end up with a pretty exemplary 2016 panel, but I also paid my dues - this was the last of 9 OLED panels to grace my living room over a 2-year period ;).

video_analysis 03-16-2017 01:58 PM

That was rough, I only went through one EF9500 (missing my 15-day window at BB ended up being a blessing). I'm up to 6 TVs now over the same intervening period. Guess I have 5 more to go until November to attain the lofty status afforded to you by the TV gods.

VidPro 03-16-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunon (Post 51555537)
I have heard bad stories about them.

Well at least the status changed to enroute to Boston. It seems like their CSR aren't that up to date. LOL.

VidPro 03-16-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51558673)
^^Sidebar: Do you really think Sony is going to eradicate those and, if so, without some kind of artifacts? I think you might be expecting a miracle.

It's the same panels they're using, right? If they do, LG better figure out the magic formula. I can deal with not having perfection but easily seeing that while watching regular content is not gonna make me happy.

video_analysis 03-16-2017 02:57 PM

Yes, what's not known is if they'll be handpicked to a higher standard or not. I'm sorry you had to suffer the wait caused by the blizzard...all this banding talk regarding a TV you're about to receive (that you may very well find to be an overblown issue) must be excruciating.

VidPro 03-16-2017 03:16 PM

That's a good way to put it. I should have added the therapy option to the extended warranty I purchased. :)

Bob539 03-16-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51528249)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51382713)
Even with the above issue, the C7 is still better than the 2016s. It is much brighter in SDR mode, has far better color tracking, less noise in the image....minus what I pointed out in my last post, slightly better uniformity and slightly better motion performance using the True Motion setting.

Bob539 03-16-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51528249)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51359961)
Vignetting is still present on the C7. Saw it at 8% and below along with banding. However......

The C7 is far better than any 2016 or prior LG OLED. I need to look at my graphs/numbers again but there is only roughly a 1-2 fl drop in brightness between 10% windowed patterns and full field white. On top of that gamma tracking based on the same parameters is essentially identical. The CMS works....color tacking is excellent (DeltaE 2000 average error is 1 :eek:). That new 17x17x17 internal LUT is doing its job. All of this is with SDR material so far. I'll do HDR tonight or tomorrow along with all the technical measurements/details of this TV everyone wants. Right now I just want to enjoy the view since this is the fist TV I can say is finally worth replace all of my Kuros with..... yes this TV is THAT good.

mikek 03-16-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:

Enjoy!

Sounds like you need a shim

Jimmy6166 03-16-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 (Post 51544057)
Thank you for this feedback !
Couple of questions :

- Have you tried HDR on UHD Blu-Ray ? How is the peak brightness ? Is it good ?
- Do you see this vignetting and streaks on real content ?

Unfortunately I don't have a UHD player. (I'm too cheap to invest in a player and discs, but maybe later? I'm more of a a streamer)
Regarding the tilting, maybe it's normal ?

Its noticeably brighter than the B6. I've used the HDR effect on medium setting for SDR content, and find it enjoyable. It makes the content pop a lot more, it's visually stimulating that once turned off makes the prior SDR content appear dull. It's really bright to use in a dark room though because the OLED light is maxed out, and it does introduce dithering/noise to black scenes.

I'm hoping the tilt isn't normal, as it's irritating and noticeable from my seated position. Time will tell once other owners get their set. I'm not sure whether I should call LG to ask about the tilt..

Quote:

Nope. Not running it yet. I didn't have any dead pixels on my B6 to begin, but after running multiple compensation cycles, I noticed a dead pixel. I read somewhere that if you run too many compensation cycles. it can result in dead pixels ? Not proven though. I do know that the streaking effect got better with compensation cycles though. The right side "zipper" effect hasn't been noticed in normal content. It's hard to tell which is better in terms of screen uniformity, but the overall better picture quality (brightness and shadow detail) makes the screen uniformity a non-issue for me :) I can now have shadow detail without having to raise the black level, so the screen looks like it's floating when watching in the dark with true black borders. (at least for now.. :p)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51544441)
Congrats. Can you post pictures of the 2-tone bezel? What's the motion like?

Actually compared to my B6, the borders are a matte black, and there's not much contrast between the borders which is AWESOME. I didn't really like the silver tone on the edge of borders of the B6. The screen is also thinner, as it's display bonded on metal. Similar to display on glass of the E and G series. The B6 appears thicker due to the glass being encased rather than bonded.

Jimmy6166 03-16-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venus933 (Post 51553177)

I see what you mean, the banding will probably stay to some extent but the color uniformity may get better with time.

Correct!

Jimmy6166 03-16-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikek (Post 51562121)
Sounds like you need a shim

If it's not meant to be tilted, then I don't want to use a shim. It should be right out of the box!

mikek 03-16-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 (Post 51563713)
If it's not meant to be tilted, then I don't want to use a shim. It should be right out of the box!

I don't think it is meant to be tilted. I think that is what Sony is doing. I guess check that the panel is seated properly in the stand.

adamadamadam 03-16-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob539 (Post 51561705)

Thanks

Wjboshart 03-16-2017 05:12 PM

I'll be joining this thread relatively soon. Robert from ve said mine shipped out today

D-Nice 03-16-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob539 (Post 51523385)
I also wanted to give DNice a bump on if his initial impressions were still holding true.

Sorry guys. I took a pause from the C7 evaluation to allow the panel to age a bit..... with break-in slides :) Aging is definitely needed and the end results are extremely impressive. It is better than the B6 and any of the 2016 LGs. I'll be back in evaluation mode tomorrow.

Jimmy6166 03-16-2017 08:01 PM

Hmmm..

I spoke to what sounded like a confused LG customer service representative who stated that it was normal for the screen to be tilted on the C7 2017 model.

I'm still questioning the validity of his statement.

Hopefully other owners will be able to confirm.

VidPro 03-16-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51566393)
Sorry guys. I took a pause from the C7 evaluation to allow the panel to age a bit..... with break-in slides :) Aging is definitely needed and the end results are extremely impressive. It is better than the B6 and any of the 2016 LGs. I'll be back in evaluation mode tomorrow.

D-Nice, I'm interested in breaking in with slides as well. Will you be posting settings for the break-in period?

Thanks!

D-Nice 03-16-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51568313)
D-Nice, I'm interested in breaking in with slides as well. Will you be posting settings for the break-in period?

Thanks!

Just throw it in Vivid mode and set the slide speed to fast.

Wizziwig 03-16-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51568585)

In what areas have you seen or are expecting improvement by running the slides?

Are you running them non-stop or shutting down every 4 hours to allow the set to run the automatic wear compensation?

video_analysis 03-16-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Like the good ole' days. I'm at 200 hours on a G6, but that's still not going to stop me from trying this method for the next 50 hours or so. The Vakmeister apparently goes this route on all of his OLEDs. I expect it's mostly a placebo, but his G6 looks damn nice, so what the hey.

fatallerror 03-17-2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 (Post 51563641)

I'm hoping the tilt isn't normal, as it's irritating and noticeable from my seated position. Time will tell once other owners get their set. I'm not sure whether I should call LG to ask about the tilt..

No need to wait, just look at the product picture, you have a faulty stand/mount

http://www.lg.com/us/images/tvs/md05...y/medium04.jpg

VidPro 03-17-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video_analysis (Post 51570329)
Like the good ole' days.

Yeah did it to my 500M and 101 back then according to D-Nice's settings.

VidPro 03-17-2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you and look forward to hearing your update on your C7.

adamadamadam 03-17-2017 01:01 AM

Quote:

Great work dude. I'd love to hear what you think of the motion btw. How much of the 2016 judder is still there? And any close up pix of the bezel would be appreciated.

Gillietalls 03-17-2017 04:12 AM

Quote:

Damn it! I was all set on getting another E6 for the 3D, but if this C7 is better than all the '16 models, I may just have to get a C7 instead...

D-Nice 03-17-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizziwig (Post 51570297)
In what areas have you seen or are expecting improvement by running the slides?

Nothing has changed over the last 10+ years I've been recommending using full field color slides to evenly age each sub pixel. Specific to the OLED, reduced low end noise, reduced low end banding, improved screen uniformity. I also ran the panel/pixel compensation every 24-36 hours the last week.

Quote:

Are you running them non-stop or shutting down every 4 hours to allow the set to run the automatic wear compensation?
Nonstop except for the pixel/panel compensation runs.

D-Nice 03-17-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51570697)
Great work dude. I'd love to hear what you think of the motion btw. How much of the 2016 judder is still there? And any close up pix of the bezel would be appreciated.

Judder from the TrueMotion feature?

Creator44 03-17-2017 09:13 AM

D-Nice, this is interesting, I did try the slides on my E6 last year to no avail but I wasn't at vivid max brightness mode.

Can you say which slides do you use exactly? Is it red,green,blue,magenta,yellow,cyan,black and white?

Also the method is to put them on usb stick and start a full screen slideshow at speed = fast?

Thanks!

Invincible11111 03-17-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51577049)
Nothing has changed over the last 10+ years I've been recommending using full field color slides to evenly age each sub pixel. Specific to the OLED, reduced low end noise, reduced low end banding, improved screen uniformity. I also ran the panel/pixel compensation every 24-36 hours the last week.

Have you watched any blu-rays or anything like that yet? Or anything in HDR on Youtube?

Gillietalls 03-17-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creator44 (Post 51577569)
D-Nice, this is interesting, I did try the slides on my E6 last year to no avail but I wasn't at vivid max brightness mode.

Can you say which slides do you use exactly? Is it red,green,blue,magenta,yellow,cyan,black and white?

Also the method is to put them on usb stick and start a full screen slideshow at speed = fast?

Thanks!

Good questions. And where do we find full screen slides? I have some slides but they don't take up the entire screen on my OLEDs.

adamadamadam 03-17-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51577137)
Judder from the TrueMotion feature?

With truemotion on and off I guess.Overview compared to 2016

zielin 03-17-2017 09:59 AM

I just got my C7 :)
I'm replacing the 55EF9500 in the bedroom. I'm really worried that it will better than my 65" G6... ie, i don't want to buy another TV :) haha

https://mail.eclaro.com/wow/WP_20170...52_40_Rich.jpg

alettiere 03-17-2017 09:59 AM

http://www.hometheatershack.com/break_in_images.zip

VidPro 03-17-2017 10:58 AM

My C7 won't show up today. Wasted a day off from work and now have to take another Monday. Anybody waiting for YRC to deliver, good luck in trying to figure out when and how.

I need to take a break and hit my favorite watering hole soon to relax.

fafrd 03-17-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 51577049)

Have you tried these techniques on a 2016 OLED? If so, did you see any improvement in near-black screen uniformity?

Compensation cycles alone seem to deliver some improvement from out-of-the-box near-black nonuniformity, so I'm specifically asking about what the 'aging/break-in' procedure delivers beyond that...

Invincible11111 03-17-2017 12:05 PM

What remote do you get with this TV? Is it just the same plain black as last year?

Cleveland Plasma 03-17-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 51571553)
Damn it! I was all set on getting another E6 for the 3D, but if this C7 is better than all the '16 models, I may just have to get a C7 instead...

You have to wait to see how "much" better it is before you decide if it is worth the added cost and loosing 3D?

tigertim 03-17-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alettiere (Post 51578769)
http://www.hometheatershack.com/break_in_images.zip

how many hours are you supposed to run theese slides ?

adamadamadam 03-17-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 51582281)
You have to wait to see how "much" better it is before you decide if it is worth the added cost and loosing 3D?

It also depends how much 3D you would plan to watch, which depends on what kind of things you like.

zielin 03-17-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invincible11111 (Post 51582137)
What remote do you get with this TV? Is it just the same plain black as last year?

It is there same one as the last few years. There is a new amazon and Netflix button, but other than that it is the same.

zielin 03-17-2017 01:50 PM

Lag testing LG OLED 2017

Lag Testing:

LG OLED55C7P (building date feb 2017)

using Leo Bodnar Video Signal Input Lag Tester ( http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/?main_...roducts_id=212 )

Results:
Game mode: 21.2ms (tested on middle bar)
ISF preset (With true-motion off): 46.2ms (tested on the middle bar)

There is no HDR game mode.. which is odd. Maybe there is some magic that it knows it is game HDR if it was on game mode before?
I could never get my LoeBonar lag tester with work with HDR. (Not on a G6, ef9500 or this C7)

video_analysis 03-17-2017 01:55 PM

^I'm sure there are firmware updates coming.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 51578409)
Good questions. And where do we find full screen slides? I have some slides but they don't take up the entire screen on my OLEDs.

If you have an upscaling UHD player with a USB input, that can be a workaround.

fatallerror 03-17-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zielin (Post 51584921)
Lag Testing:

LG 55C7P (building date feb 2017)

using leobodnar lag tester
Game mode: 21.2 MS (tested on middle bar)
ISF preset (With true-motion off): 46.2 (tested on the middle bar)

There is no HDR game mode.. which is odd. Maybe there is some magic that it knows it is game HDR if it was on game mode before?
I could never get my LoeBonar lag tester with work with HDR. (Not on a G6, ef9500 or this C7)

Would you please measure with 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 (PC input+ Game mode)? don't forget to enable deep color of course , thank you

You need to send HDR metadata to see the HDR game mode on the list to select.

Manuxs1806 03-17-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zielin (Post 51584169)
It is there same one as the last few years. There is a new amazon and Netflix button, but other than that it is the same.

How is it compared to the 2016 OLED ?
Can you play a UHD disc and tell us if the picture is impressive ?
No vignetting or dead pixel or banding ?

Thank you !!

zielin 03-17-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invincible11111 (Post 51582137)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatallerror (Post 51585289)
Would you please measure with 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 (PC input+ Game mode)? don't forget to enable deep color of course , thank you

You need to send HDR metadata to see the HDR game mode on the list to select.

sadly one can't change the output on the lag tester. That said, the testing done was with deep color on and i'll try it, but naming it to PC hasn't had any impact on lag for the last 2 gens of LG OLEDs.

oh, a change from last years units. The TV doesn't need to reboot to turn on Deep Color, but you have to actively be on the HDMI input you want to change to be able to toggle it on and off.

fatallerror 03-17-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zielin (Post 51585457)
sadly one can't change the output on the lag tester. That said, the testing done was with deep color on and i'll try it, but naming it to PC hasn't had any impact on lag for the last 2 gens of LG OLEDs.

oh, a change from last years units. The TV doesn't need to reboot to turn on Deep Color, but you have to actively be on the HDMI input you want to change to be able to toggle it on and off.

Only the B6 has high input lag with 4:4:4 chroma, rest are fine. So it's also 21ms with 4:4:4? Are you sure it was 4:4:4 (http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png ) ? Sounds unbelievable :D So cool news, thank you for the results.
Seems LG is not lying about the SoC, and they are all using the M16P chip. speaking of SoC, please check in the service menu if it's indeed the M16P , take a picture of it. Let people celebrate :D

OLED4UNME 03-17-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 51570585)
Yeah did it to my 500M and 101 back then according to D-Nice's settings.

Years ago I had a 500M and when fresh out of the box it had a black oval splotch in the center of the screen. D-Nice said as the panel aged it would slowly spread out and become uniform over the whole screen. I did not run the break-in slides, but just watched full-screen content for a while. Just like D-Nice said, after a while the splotch spread and the blacks became uniform across the entire screen.

Not sure if OLEDs work the same as with the plasmas, but screen uniformity did improve as the hours accumulated on the panel.

Somehow I don't think racking up the hours is going to fix my Samsung 12" OLED laptop. The whole right side of the screen (about 40%) is much lighter than the left, especially noticeable on 5% and 10% slides, and on films with those type of lower-APL scenes.

Gotta love that Samsung QC.

I'm not sure what to do with it? Don't think Samsung will swap out OLED tablets the way they swap out TVs.

guitarguy316 03-17-2017 05:30 PM

How's the upscaling of 720p/1080i cable content? How's the blocky noise?

Wondering if maybe Sony shared some of their upscale techniques.

D-Nice 03-17-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creator44 (Post 51577569)

Thanks!

I'll post the ones I am using in a few.

D-Nice 03-17-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invincible11111 (Post 51578209)
Have you watched any blu-rays or anything like that yet? Or anything in HDR on Youtube?

BD... yes. HDR BDs... yes. YouTube...nope

D-Nice 03-17-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamadamadam (Post 51578545)
With truemotion on and off I guess.Overview compared to 2016

Haven't seen anything but normal film judder so far.

D-Nice 03-17-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 51580865)
Have you tried these techniques on a 2016 OLED? If so, did you see any improvement in near-black screen uniformity?

No. When I got my two B6 OLEDs last year I was so disappointed with the OOTB colors, I didn't have desire to. I was focused on figuring out how to get great colors from the TV. Took a few months but I figured out how to get real close to my Kuros.]

outsiderwv 03-17-2017 06:35 PM

Just purchased a 65" C7, expected delivery of 4/4. I'm pretty excited, especially since this is my first OLED TV. Just a few questions for those with experience on OLEDS. I game fairly frequently with a PS4/XBOX and want to ensure I have my expectations right for IR. If I game for a 2 hour (3 hour session max), would I just watch normal content for an hour after to eliminate IR or do I really need to worry about it at all? I just don't want to risk burn-in (even though I couldn't find many complaining of the issue). Other than gaming, we normally watch full screen tv shows and/or the occasional movie (no sports really). Anything at all I should be nervous about?

Thanks in advance and I'll post impressions once the set comes in. Coming from a Samsung KS8000.