Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16051Likes

post #3091 of 3998 Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
^^^ the tone of your post sounds a lot like another poster who was here for awhile. I don't think anyone is saying that BI is not possible on OLED sets. It is. I think what a lot of us are saying is that it's not as widely prevalent as some say it is. Direct light on any panel type is not a good thing. OLED/plasma are probably particularly sensitive given the technology which is all the more reason to carefully check out your viewing environment before purchase. No issues with my OLED but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3998 Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys I have an issue that I think may be burn in but i'm not positive due to something else that

it's an lg oled65b6. I've been very diligent about preventing burn in as long as I've had it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed what i thought was the left half of the screen just ever so slightly darker than the right. there was to tell unless most of the screen was one color.

a week later, I left my TV on for about 15 minutes while i went to poop. my xbox was on, and I was in the settings menu(dark grey, just some text and a couple of straight lines.

I had screen shift on, and screen dimming after 2 min.

I came back, didn't really look at anything, turned the TV off to do something else. when I got back on a couple of hours later, I saw this weird green spot. it's nearly invisible against some colors, and changes to a red or purple against others, but green is the most common. As I was looking I also noticed it isn't my entire left half darker, but roughly the a sixth or so of the screen, left and right of that section seems okay. this dark spot is also where the burn in is.

i'm not sure how many details you can see from picture of screen, but there is more details burned in that aren't as bad around the main spot. I can see them pretty clearly against certain colors. I went though all the games I play to try and find any menu or even that has something matching that and found absolutely nothing close to it.

How did it happen, and how screwed is it?

https://ibb.co/t8tvzKL
https://ibb.co/vZVYmTR
https://ibb.co/YkFHN7W
https://ibb.co/VgFQrRc
https://gfycat.com/FrankWaterloggedCalf
post #3093 of 3998 Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^ the tone of your post sounds a lot like another poster who was here for awhile. I don't think anyone is saying that BI is not possible on OLED sets. It is. I think what a lot of us are saying is that it's not as widely prevalent as some say it is. Direct light on any panel type is not a good thing. OLED/plasma are probably particularly sensitive given the technology which is all the more reason to carefully check out your viewing environment before purchase. No issues with my OLED but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones
And people providing their own experiences with whether they have burn-in is entirely relevant on a thread like this, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3998 Old 12-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalkerz View Post
Today i have new BURN INS on my tv, it's the sunlight with marks of the sun, epic, i will try later on to use the cl
Wow! I had no idea the sun could cause burn-in. I wish LG would have mentioned this. Nice to know now.

Anyway, all these conversations are the same as 2015-2016. Nothing's changed. Words like impossible, average, or normal all there.

I believed it before I bought my tv and during the first 2 years. I thought it was impossible until it happened.

Fortunately it's still bearable and I noticed it before it got worse. Now I'm a bit smarter and I'm extra careful before it becomes unbearable.
post #3095 of 3998 Old 12-05-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
And people providing their own experiences with whether they have burn-in is entirely relevant on a thread like this, IMHO.
I would agree. My point is that informing folks of issues is important, whether the issue affects you or not. That's shared info which is the point of AVS. However, when one gets to the point of implying the technology is so bad that anyone who purchase into it is getting ripped off is taking that shared info a step to far, IMHO.
losservatore likes this.
post #3096 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My point is that informing folks of issues is important, whether the issue affects you or not. That's shared info which is the point of AVS.
I agree with you. My point was poorly worded. I was actually trying to support what you were saying. What I should have said was that people sharing their experience that they DON'T have burn-in (including the number or hours on their set, possible reasons why) is also relevant to this thread, in contrast to the suggestion above that this thread is only for people who have experienced burn-in.

Quote:
However, when one gets to the point of implying the technology is so bad that anyone who purchase into it is getting ripped off is taking that shared info a step to far, IMHO.
100% agree. Unfortunately today, many people seem to be unable to make their points without extreme hyperbole. You see it here on occasion and on many other forums, and it's particularly bad on social media -- which is why I stay the heck away from that.
tigertim likes this.
post #3097 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
@firewalkerz could you share your usual TV picture settings? I always keep the Foot-lamberts (ftL) accordingly to my environment. LG should lower the default brightness settings even that they are safe for the most part. vivid or sport mode aren’t good picture modes, not only because of the increased risk of BI with static images but the colors are all very wrong.

Last edited by losservatore; 12-06-2018 at 02:50 AM.
post #3098 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
seriously road lizard, still here trying to convince people theres no problem ? why lose your time here, disparaging people watching cnn or msnbc won't make your alternative facts anymore correct.

i see you deriding and laughing at people all the time on this thread while denying the problem, we should ask the moderator to delete all your posts, you must have posted 100 times on that thread, maybe it's time to retire and go spit your poison elsewhere ?
My oh my. Whats the problem? I dont deride or laugh at anyone. Please provide data to back up such claims. Alls I do is offer some alternative posts to counter the relentless barrage of "end of the world" posts that the OLED-hater club keeps perpetrating. The reason myself and some others have countered is because some others here have overblown this BI thing. Thats why.

Yeah, ask the mods to delete my posts. Well Played. Best of luck. Have a great Christmas.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #3099 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazy View Post
Hey guys I have an issue that I think may be burn in but i'm not positive due to something else that

it's an lg oled65b6. I've been very diligent about preventing burn in as long as I've had it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed what i thought was the left half of the screen just ever so slightly darker than the right. there was to tell unless most of the screen was one color.

a week later, I left my TV on for about 15 minutes while i went to poop. my xbox was on, and I was in the settings menu(dark grey, just some text and a couple of straight lines.

I had screen shift on, and screen dimming after 2 min.

I came back, didn't really look at anything, turned the TV off to do something else. when I got back on a couple of hours later, I saw this weird green spot. it's nearly invisible against some colors, and changes to a red or purple against others, but green is the most common. As I was looking I also noticed it isn't my entire left half darker, but roughly the a sixth or so of the screen, left and right of that section seems okay. this dark spot is also where the burn in is.

i'm not sure how many details you can see from picture of screen, but there is more details burned in that aren't as bad around the main spot. I can see them pretty clearly against certain colors. I went though all the games I play to try and find any menu or even that has something matching that and found absolutely nothing close to it.

How did it happen, and how screwed is it?

https://ibb.co/t8tvzKL
https://ibb.co/vZVYmTR
https://ibb.co/YkFHN7W
https://ibb.co/VgFQrRc
https://gfycat.com/FrankWaterloggedCalf
Try running this Youtube video.

I suspect you have something other than BI going on with your screen.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 12-06-2018 at 06:45 AM.
post #3100 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

yeah sure man, i have 4 different type of burn in on my second set, but it's all my fault, so how is it that it happens again if it's not prevalent ?

i have had sunlight on an LCD panel for years without problems and i was never told that fact.

people here just dismiss the facts see, nobody ever discussed what type of burn in i had and why, only thing that interest you is convincing people theres no problem
no1special likes this.
post #3101 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
My oh my. Whats the problem? I dont deride or laugh at anyone. Please provide data to back up such claims. Alls I do is offer some alternative posts to counter the relentless barrage of "end of the world" posts that the OLED-hater club keeps perpetrating. The reason myself and some others have countered is because some others here have overblown this BI thing. Thats why.

Yeah, ask the mods to delete my posts. Well Played. Best of luck. Have a great Christmas.
you have posted more than a hundred or two hundred time here to try to argue that there was no problem, maybe it's time to stop this , we all know you had no problem, time to let people who have problem speak.

basically you guys try to prevent the real discussion and reorient the discussion at your non-problems issue, and it'S not widely spread etc..

multiple time i tried to post my problem, multiple time i was flooded with useless posts about how it's not that bad.

i mean what is the problem guys, you don't wanna admit there is a problem with OLED technology, FINE, but don't come here arrogantly telling people theres no problem when alot of people create an account just to come here
no1special likes this.
post #3102 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think anybody is trying to prevent real discussion or deny that there are potential issues with burn-in on OLED's -- on this thread or other similar threads. I think people are just trying to bring some balance and objective analysis to the discussion.
post #3103 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. My point was poorly worded. I was actually trying to support what you were saying. What I should have said was that people sharing their experience that they DON'T have burn-in (including the number or hours on their set, possible reasons why) is also relevant to this thread, in contrast to the suggestion above that this thread is only for people who have experienced burn-in.

100% agree. Unfortunately today, many people seem to be unable to make their points without extreme hyperbole. You see it here on occasion and on many other forums, and it's particularly bad on social media -- which is why I stay the heck away from that.
He suffered a huge loss. Give him a break. I'm try hard to hold it in myself.
post #3104 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Today i have new BURN INS on my tv, it's the sunlight with marks of the sun, epic, i will try later on to use the clear function again.
Check if your homeowner's or renter's insurance covers it?
post #3105 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqbert View Post
He suffered a huge loss. Give him a break. I'm try hard to hold it in myself.
TV's are just "stuff." Life is too short and there are too many other important things that we must deal with, to get overly emotional about "stuff." And when we do get upset about a loss of "stuff" -- after all, we are only human -- it's still not a reason to suggest (as a few who like LCD or who have suffered burn-in keep doing) that people who prefer OLED's despite the potential issues are crazy, or are getting ripped off, or are in "denial," etc. In other words, get mad at the TV, get mad at LG, but don't get mad at us.

Sorry, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Reflex-Arc and Kenbar like this.
post #3106 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
people here just dismiss the facts see, nobody ever discussed what type of burn in i had and why, only thing that interest you is convincing people theres no problem
You really should read posts more carefully before you reply. I never said there weren't any problems. In fact I said there is. I just don't think it's as prevalent as some are making it out to be.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #3107 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV's are just "stuff." Life is too short and there are too many other important things that we must deal with, to get overly emotional about "stuff." And when we do get upset about a loss of "stuff" -- after all, we are only human -- it's still not a reason to suggest (as a few who like LCD or who have suffered burn-in keep doing) that people who prefer OLED's despite the potential issues are crazy, or are getting ripped off, or are in "denial," etc. In other words, get mad at the TV, get mad at LG, but don't get mad at us.

People reporting here, and on other sites, are doing everyone a favor. Pushing LGD to improve their screens...or at least to start being more honest about BI risks (2018 owners manual). One can only imagine if people did not inform...companies would be able to give the consumer any line they wanted...both before the sale and after. So although many here don't like to hear about BI...it is doing a service to all. Present and future owners...
Nation66 and no1special like this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #3108 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post

Try running this Youtube video.

I suspect you have something other than BI going on with your screen.
hey thanks for replying instead of arguing about if something exists. there's definitely some burn in (they are pretty much invisible except some frames of that video, so not really concerned)

there's definitely significant vertical banding. a lot of white spiking creep at bottom, too.

a few questions:

1. is my TV a lost cause(for repairs)? the main green spot is really annoying but it's the only part that's noticeable under normal viewing. I can bear it if I can't fix it but i'm not afraid to try it its practical.

2. what IS that green spot?? it's so out of place compared to everything else. it sort of reminds me of pressure/impact damage I've seen on LCD screens.

3. is there anything I can do better in the future? I thought I was doing well enough to mitigate burn in, but now that i have seen a lot more of it with that video, I question it. I think sunlight may have been a major factor with most, as they seem to be mostly from games I haven't played much since my TV was im a different spot and more susceptible to sunlight.

on the TV and XBox I already have every screen shift/dimming/protection option I can. how often should i clear panel noise? I've read doing it too much can decrease the lifespan (although i'm guessing not as much as it already has..) so I did it pretty sparingly.
post #3109 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazy View Post
hey thanks for replying instead of arguing about if something exists. there's definitely some burn in (they are pretty much invisible except some frames of that video, so not really concerned)

there's definitely significant vertical banding. a lot of white spiking creep at bottom, too.

a few questions:

1. is my TV a lost cause(for repairs)? the main green spot is really annoying but it's the only part that's noticeable under normal viewing. I can bear it if I can't fix it but i'm not afraid to try it its practical.

2. what IS that green spot?? it's so out of place compared to everything else. it sort of reminds me of pressure/impact damage I've seen on LCD screens.

3. is there anything I can do better in the future? I thought I was doing well enough to mitigate burn in, but now that i have seen a lot more of it with that video, I question it. I think sunlight may have been a major factor with most, as they seem to be mostly from games I haven't played much since my TV was im a different spot and more susceptible to sunlight.

on the TV and XBox I already have every screen shift/dimming/protection option I can. how often should i clear panel noise? I've read doing it too much can decrease the lifespan (although i'm guessing not as much as it already has..) so I did it pretty sparingly.
I don't know what is going on. I have read about oxygen getting in during the manufacturing and after some time causing the organic materials to decay. But regardless, I would call LG service...don't say a word about burn in. Just tell them something is...some funny stuff going on with the screen. Tell them it looks like something is growing in it. That should get there attention. If they say something about BI tell them it's an Oled...and they can't burn in per LG. Read them this if they seem confused...

GET THE FACTS:

"OLED Image Retention or Burn-In: Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified.

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability

Oled cannot suffer burn in, it says "any risk".

Explain your wife wanted you to buy a...Samsung...but after reading about LG's wonderful Oleds, you elected to buy an LG Oled to be safe. And now because of this growth in the LG screen she is threatening to divorce you and marry a Samsung man...worst days of you life. If they need a little more nudging...tell them you are very concerned what ever is growing in there...might get out and infest the home...and you have 6 children.

Nation66 and no1special like this.

Last edited by Kenbar; 12-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #3110 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
People reporting here, and on other sites, are doing everyone a favor.
Totally agree. I'm all in favor of reporting. I'm jut saying we don't need to criticize other people's choices, or make overly broad or exaggerated statements about OLED technology, or object to people reporting their particular own experiences regarding burn-in, pro or con or whatever. Let's all try to report objective facts, recognizing that we all have different preferences, experiences, circumstances, financial situations, TV settings, model years, and so on.

And let's recognize that if A objectively reports a burn in problem, it is not intended to be a criticism or denial of person B's different experience, and if person B objectively reports no issue with burn-in, it is not intended to be a criticism or denial of person A's different experience.

Like it said on the statue of Emile Faber at Faber College (Animal House), "Knowledge is good."
post #3111 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
And let's recognize that if A objectively reports a burn in problem, it is not intended to be a criticism or denial of person B's different experience, and if person B objectively reports no issue with burn-in, it is not intended to be a criticism or denial of person A's different experience.

Wow, wish everyone could be this level-headed!
post #3112 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Yes in general but it's relative. A wealthy athlete with a toddler throwing a toy at the screen, breaks it, could care less. Someone saving up a chunk of their savings on expensive $10k speakers or tv might not feel the same. If they were dying of cancer, they might agree with you.
no1special likes this.
post #3113 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
You really should read posts more carefully before you reply. I never said there weren't any problems. In fact I said there is. I just don't think it's as prevalent as some are making it out to be.
We bought our Lg B6 Oled Dec 2016. After about six months and 2400 hours of viewing about six hours per day, about half of which was on news channels (MSNBC, CNN, FOX NEWS, CNBC), we noted burn in. Always had Screen Shift and would frequently run Clear Panel Noise several times per week. Contacted LG, they asked for pictures, which we sent. They said they would need an authorized LG tech to examine the set, whom we had to pay. Tech called LG engineering and sent more pictures which he took. Engineering confirmed burn in and said no coverage for burn in. Fought with LG customer service over next 12 months with no results.We agued no abuse, that we only watch about 5-6 hours per day. They said it didn't matter, burn in not covered. Finally, after about my 50th call and constant complaining at every level of LG, was connected with the "OLED Department" and they acknowledged that burn in is a problem on these sets when static logos are displayed, including news banners and channel ID displays. They explained that the phosphors age when driven hard and that the degradation is cumulative, I.E., 1 hour a day for 6 months is the same as 2 hours per day or 3 months, or 6 hours per day for one month. They agreed to replace the panel and the installation at their expense, even thought the set was now out of warranty. We asked if we could continue to watch news channels on the new OLED panel without the risk of burn in and they advised that it was very likely the bright static logos and news banners would eventually "burn In". We were advised to avoid watching all channels with bright static logos and to run the "clear panel noise" function every evening. So the tech is coming to install the new Oled panel next week and we are pleased to final get some satisfaction form LG. We will no longer watch news channels on the oled once the panel is replaced; only movies and channels without static logos. We can watch news on our old LCD or out laptop. We accept we have to baby the oled.

We are attaching pictures of the screen with the setting info, hours, and different color backrounds. Most of this damage was apparent at under 3000 hours. The attached pictures were taken at 6585 hours. Here are long term burn in results rtings.com :

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perm...rn-in-lcd-oled

Yes, "burn in" is real and it does not take that long if bright logos and banners are displayed.

My pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-2044228771_20181206_214640_1681673_resized.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2492886   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2043305250_20181206_214454_2477043_resized.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	2492888   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2042381729_20181206_214230_3105254_resized.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	2492890   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2041458208_20181206_214037_2917025_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2492892   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2040534687_20181206_213902_2865833_resized.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	2492894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	-2039611166_20181206_213700_2271713_resized.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	2492896   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2038687645_20181206_213340_3805767_resized.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	2492898   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2037764124_20181206_213221_5779920_resized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	2492900   Click image for larger version

Name:	-2017446662_20181206_213201_3113622_resized.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	2492902  
no1special likes this.
post #3114 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 PM

^^^^ again, I never said it wasn't a problem, because it can be. Maybe the technology, production and prevention has become better since you purchased your set 2 years ago. Our 65 C8 is upstairs in the theater room for movies/streaming and is rarely used for routine viewing, certainly not news programs. For routine viewing, we use the LG LCD downstairs. We haven't seen any indications, yet, of BI or IR and don't expect to for quite some time. We do have an extended warranty that goes out 5 years, just in case.
post #3115 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesiu View Post
They said they would need an authorized LG tech to examine the set, whom we had to pay
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is where I am in the process. The service center said LG started covering burn-in in the past 6 months. LG did not offer to pay for the inspection. Then the service center suggested I call them back for an APN number. I haven't done this yet.

Basically LG's claim of Any Risk is impossible is false and people were given the wrong instructions to use their tv.

I'm scared to watch news stations now. This is not how a tv should be.
post #3116 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
^^^^ again, I never said it wasn't a problem, because it can be. Maybe the technology, production and prevention has become better since you purchased your set 2 years ago. Our 65 C8 is upstairs in the theater room for movies/streaming and is rarely used for routine viewing, certainly not news programs. For routine viewing, we use the LG LCD downstairs. We haven't seen any indications, yet, of BI or IR and don't expect to for quite some time. We do have an extended warranty that goes out 5 years, just in case.
Here's hoping the new panel LG is sending holds up better than the first. You are wise to reserve the oled for movies and streaming and avoid the news shows. I have heard reports, but can't confirm, that LG is attempting to reduce burn in by employing software that recognizes static patterns and then reduces the intensity on those pixel elements. Maybe that will work. I wish that Fox, CNBC, CNN, MSNBC, and other offenders that torch the screen with bright id logos and news banners would turn them off. However, we all know they only care about ratings and most people don't have oled tvs, so why should they care?

Last edited by stevesiu; 12-06-2018 at 09:22 PM.
post #3117 of 3998 Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesiu View Post
Here's hoping the new panel LG is sending holds up better than the first. You are wise to reserve the oled for movies and streaming and avoid the news shows. I have heard reports, but can't confirm, that LG is attempting to reduce burn in by employing software that recognizes static patterns and then reduces the intensity on those pixel elements. Maybe that will work. I wish that Fox, CNBC, CNN, MSNBC, and other offenders that torch the screen with bright id logos and news banners would turn them off. However, we all know they only care about ratings and most people don't have oled tvs, so why should they care?
I agree about the networks. The other thing that bothers me is the little scroll or ad at the bottom advertising an upcoming show or event. They don't appear long but they are annoying as hell. Such is the digital age.

I researched LCD vs OLED for a couple of months before purchasing. I then looked at the viewing environment for where the new tv was going to go (window placement, seating distance, ambient light, etc) and then our viewing habits. OLED was a no brainer for us because of the phenomenal pq vs LCD. It also helped that we had an LG LCD downstairs that still looks as good as the day we brought it home. It's calibrated and I use a bias light (same as upstairs). I'm a big stickler for purchasing locally as well. Fortunately for us (on the West Coast) there's a small chain called Video Only so the price, extended warranty, free setup/delivery couldn't be beat. And the folks are very knowledgeable and don't mind phone calls (multiple ones) or visits. Certainly not like going to the big chain stores (BB for example).

However, I wouldn't recommend an OLED as the primary, one tv only household for multiple source viewing. They are fantastic panels but with such beautiful pq, there's a price to pay which is the proper care and feeding of the tv .
Kenbar likes this.
post #3118 of 3998 Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
you have posted more than a hundred or two hundred time here to try to argue that there was no problem, maybe it's time to stop this , we all know you had no problem, time to let people who have problem speak.

basically you guys try to prevent the real discussion and reorient the discussion at your non-problems issue, and it'S not widely spread etc..

multiple time i tried to post my problem, multiple time i was flooded with useless posts about how it's not that bad.

i mean what is the problem guys, you don't wanna admit there is a problem with OLED technology, FINE, but don't come here arrogantly telling people theres no problem when alot of people create an account just to come here
Hundreds of times? OK, Ill take your word for it. As others have correctly noted: Im only trying to offer some balance here to counter the "sky is falling" posts. Otherwise the "advice" here would be that every OLED ever made and sold will get BI, gauranteed. Not cool.

Quote:
People reporting here, and on other sites, are doing everyone a favor. Pushing LGD to improve their screens...or at least to start being more honest about BI risks (2018 owners manual). One can only imagine if people did not inform...companies would be able to give the consumer any line they wanted...both before the sale and after. So although many here don't like to hear about BI...it is doing a service to all. Present and future owners...
Sure - mentioning it to prospective buyers DOES make sense and is well within reason. Just like any other issues with other TV techs. No TV is perfect. That being said, it is NOT a "service" to overstate or make the issue out to be more of a problem than it really is. Most users will be fine. Thats that. Those that watch lots of ticker news stuff should stay away. Its pretty simple.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #3119 of 3998 Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I agree about the networks. The other thing that bothers me is the little scroll or ad at the bottom advertising an upcoming show or event. They don't appear long but they are annoying as hell. Such is the digital age.

I researched LCD vs OLED for a couple of months before purchasing. I then looked at the viewing environment for where the new tv was going to go (window placement, seating distance, ambient light, etc) and then our viewing habits. OLED was a no brainer for us because of the phenomenal pq vs LCD. It also helped that we had an LG LCD downstairs that still looks as good as the day we brought it home. It's calibrated and I use a bias light (same as upstairs). I'm a big stickler for purchasing locally as well. Fortunately for us (on the West Coast) there's a small chain called Video Only so the price, extended warranty, free setup/delivery couldn't be beat. And the folks are very knowledgeable and don't mind phone calls (multiple ones) or visits. Certainly not like going to the big chain stores (BB for example).

However, I wouldn't recommend an OLED as the primary, one tv only household for multiple source viewing. They are fantastic panels but with such beautiful pq, there's a price to pay which is the proper care and feeding of the tv .
Most readers here may have already read this but I thought I would repost it for those who may have missed it. The link is for the story about LG's embarrassing glitch when their showpiece oled on display at the airport in Seoul, Korea developed burn in after only 4 months. Lg was forced to replace it with one of their LCD sets after being unable to solve the burn in problem on their oled sets.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-swi...d-burn-in-row/
post #3120 of 3998 Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, people should definitely not watch airport departure schedules on their OLED for 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
plonk and RoadLizard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
blacks , burn in , burn-in , cnbc , lg oled , lg tv , lg-tv , oled , oled burn-in , plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page