Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16022Likes

post #3721 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupdisc View Post
I have a question. Lets say i get some burn-in from 400 hours of gaming the same game. Lets say i see some of the issue on a static red/gray background.

My main question is will that even be noticeable when viewing normal content? Just like we all have some degree of vertical banding on 5% slides we dont see the issue on anything other than 5% grey slides. Having burn-in noticeable on slides is one thing but will some burnin even be noticeable when actually watching real content. I just never ever hear or see examples of that!

Thanks for your input
Depends on the scene. But the general answer is yes. Once ya got it, ya got it. Can't un-see it. You should take precautions to avoid it. Especially if you have an irreplaceable 3D Oled.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupdisc View Post
I have a question. Lets say i get some burn-in from 400 hours of gaming the same game. Lets say i see some of the issue on a static red/gray background.

My main question is will that even be noticeable when viewing normal content? Just like we all have some degree of vertical banding on 5% slides we dont see the issue on anything other than 5% grey slides. Having burn-in noticeable on slides is one thing but will some burnin even be noticeable when actually watching real content. I just never ever hear or see examples of that!

Thanks for your input
The answer is... it depends.

I have burn in from the HUD of Destiny 2 as well as from one of the TV app buttons. It's a little rectangle in the lower right corner of screen (can't remember if from Netflix or YouTube, or Prime Video). The Destiny 2 HUD is yellow, with orange or purple elements, depending on the sub class that you select. The BI is easily visible when anything red, yellow, orange, purple, or even green is displayed in the area. It's also very faintly visible on a blue or white screen. So any adverts that use those colors, I see the BI. The other issue is that since skin tones use red, yellow, etc, whenever there is skin displayed in that area, I also see it. Really annoying.

There is also a general bit of DSE looking BI in the middle of the screen. Conceivably from people (skin tones) centered in the middle of the screen? Not sure, but it wasn't there before.

YMMV depending on what colors caused the BI, how severe it is, and the content that you watch.

post #3723 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So is the larger red sub pixel going to help with this? I assume the idea behind it is that if the red is larger that basically it gives it a longer time to degrade so that when the green and blue degrade they basically keep pace with the red. I suppose this is just a thing to expect when owning an OLED? I'm looking at getting a 77C9 and while they aren't old enough to see any burn-in issues yet, I assume they will just like the C7s that two years later are starting to have issues. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess? I think I will pick up a TCL 65R17 to game on and save the C9 just for movies and streaming.

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.

Last edited by Mathoosala; 07-15-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Buy Geek Squad Protection Burn in Coverage

I have an LG C8 series OLED and I purchased their warranty. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with Best Buys Geek Squad coverage on burn in? Has anyone used the coverage for this issue? What does Best Buy do when this happens? Do they just replace the panel or the whole TV?
Thanks

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle
post #3725 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero/One View Post
I have an LG C8 series OLED and I purchased their warranty. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with Best Buys Geek Squad coverage on burn in? Has anyone used the coverage for this issue? What does Best Buy do when this happens? Do they just replace the panel or the whole TV?
Thanks
BB's warranty is the only one I know of that covers BI (unless they have changed their policy/contract). Not sure if they replace or repair...might depend. Either way you should be good. But look over the contract to make sure they have not excluded burn in recently.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #3726 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Thanks

Developed burn in on my 55C7 a little over 2 months ago. Had the two year Geek Squad warranty. I called in, spoke to a representative. He guessed my problem as soon as I said LG Oled. He told me to take some
pictures and email them to him. He got back with me and verified that it was indeed burn in. Gave me almost a full refund (paid $1600, received $1500 on a Best Buy gift card that was mailed to me) and, shockingly to me, told me to keep the TV. He said the TV would cost more to fix than what it's worth so they have no use for it. I still watch the TV and have a $1500 gift card in my dresser waiting for me to do something with it. The card doesn't expire so...
MCaugusto and Stuntman_Mike like this.
post #3727 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oplasmic View Post
Developed burn in on my 55C7 a little over 2 months ago. Had the two year Geek Squad warranty. I called in, spoke to a representative. He guessed my problem as soon as I said LG Oled. He told me to take some
pictures and email them to him. He got back with me and verified that it was indeed burn in. Gave me almost a full refund (paid $1600, received $1500 on a Best Buy gift card that was mailed to me) and, shockingly to me, told me to keep the TV. He said the TV would cost more to fix than what it's worth so they have no use for it. I still watch the TV and have a $1500 gift card in my dresser waiting for me to do something with it. The card doesn't expire so...

So I see a new tv in your future...

Awesome results!

post #3728 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
So I see a new tv in your future...

Awesome results!

I'm in no hurry at this point. The C7 is still serving me well with the burn in. It's really only noticeable on red/orange screens. In 90+% of content you can't see it. I'm waiting for that "perfect" buy since the card doesn't expire.
Kenbar likes this.
post #3729 of 3927 Old 07-15-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oplasmic View Post
Quote:
Thanks [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

This just tells me I made the correct decision purchasing my A1E from BB, with the 5 year warranty. The only warranty that covers Burn In.
MCaugusto likes this.
post #3730 of 3927 Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I have burn in from the HUD of Destiny 2 . . .
Curious, how many hours do you have in D2? I have 720 hours, all on my B6, and do not have any burn-in (knocks on wood!)
post #3731 of 3927 Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post
Curious, how many hours do you have in D2? I have 720 hours, all on my B6, and do not have any burn-in (knocks on wood!)
What olight and color level do you run?

post #3732 of 3927 Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
What olight and color level do you run?
I need to check the color, but since the game runs in HDR, the HDR game mode has OLED light at 100.

For my non-HDR sources I have OLED light set to 35 or 40 I, can't remember.
post #3733 of 3927 Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post
Bungie's site is horrible, so have no idea how to see it on their. Used to be somewhat straightforward for Destiny 1. Using a 3rd party site, says I have about 1120hrs on D2. Haven't played D1 in years, but I assume that the HUD is in relatively the same place, if not exactly the same place, and I had 2200hrs in D1. Most of that wasn't on the OLED, though. Only about 9 mos worth, and I played Destiny 1 less frequently in the last year than the first 2, just for context. Wanted to throw it out there though, to give the full picture. Again, don't know if the HUD is in the exact same location, or if the elements are exactly the same. Maybe add another couple hundred to the total?

I had my set on 100 OLED light and 85 Contrast. Color is at default (50?). I also always played in HDR. I did lower the opacity of the HUD in the settings, though it isn't a huge difference by eye.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 07-16-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #3734 of 3927 Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,

I'm new here but i just wanted to say LG is sending someone to replace my oled b7 65 inch sometime this week!. I took a picture, and they said they would replace it as a one time courtesy...WOOO!
macmane and Kenbar like this.
post #3735 of 3927 Old 07-24-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a weird mark in the top right that shows up when I play NBA 2K18 only....i measured it and maybe it's from Stardew Valley (100 hours with OLED light of 35 on that game)....but, it only shows up sometimes in NBA....I can see it, but then i run a replay of the exact same scene and I can't see it on the replay at all....it's very very strange.
post #3736 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM
j p

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First time poster here, though I've lurked on the site a few times. I recently noticed burn in on my B6 that was purchased in Oct. 2016 (seems to be a common date mentioned) and thought I'd share. I'm sure others have brought it up, but my burn in is from the freaking bright red NETFLIX logo on LG's app! No burn in of any kind from any static network logos or news channels, yet burn in from a NETFLIX logo caused by casual browsing for no more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

I own two Pioneer plasmas, each purchased years before the OLED, and have NO burn-in, so I figured I'd be safe with the OLED considering my viewing habits never caused any problems on a plasma. Yet, just normal use of LG's NETFLIX app caused burn in. WHY would LG design an app that they know will damage their TV? And if they didn't know when they designed it, they do now, so why haven't they updated the app and addressed the problem? Update the app and remove the logo! I don't need to see a constant NETFLIX logo in the corner of the screen, like I'm somehow not aware that I'm browsing NETFLIX and I need to be reminded.

Anyway, LG seems to be aware they have an issue on their hands, and about 5 days after submitting my complaint (with pictures, proof of purchase...etc) I was contacted by LG and they agreed to replace the panel free of charge. If they would have done anything less, this would have been the first and last LG product that I purchased.

So, though I'm a bit frustrated that I've "babied" the OLED more than any plasma I've owned and STILL got burn in from LG's own freaking app, I am satisfied with LG's response to the problem and impressed that they seem to be willing to accept responsibility for their product. Hopefully the new panel is less prone to burn in.
JD23 and Kenbar like this.

LG OLED 65B6
post #3737 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can someone explain me the letterbox burn in, please?

I don't get it. It is black, the pixels are off, what is there to burn in?
Thanks.
post #3738 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 493
It doesn't happen. Outright impossible on 2017+ models, not really recorded in the wild on 2016 and earlier ones, where it was possible.

Anyway, the BI would be of the central area, not the bars.
post #3739 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
uneven aging. The other pixels are on so when you watch a lot of black bar stuff for several years it will become noticable. I do not think it is much of a problem these days, should take 5,000 to 10,000 hours for it to become noticable on 2018/2019 OLED TVs. One of the reasons why the Sony RGB OLED monitors are replaced by a LCD is the burn-in caused by excesiv use of black bar content (film industry).
post #3740 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Modern OLED based on LG's WOLED tech with its BI-compensation tech - anything from 2017 on (B7+) will not simply burn-in from black bars. They will lose brightness of the central area only once aging on it exceeds all of the headroom provided.

None of the TVs in the current rtings test has lost any full-screen or window brightness yet, and it's been nearly 10K hours.
OLED before the B7 and Sony or Samsung RGB-OLED do not have similar BI-compensation and can suffer from black bar BI. But this is a non-concern for modern models.

The average APL of SDR movies is no more than 7%, much lower for HDR (but not as easily measurable), so it would take forever to wear through the headroom on the entire central area. It took 2500 hours on a SDR 100% element, so expect about 35,000 hours to get black bar BI on B7+ models. That's 15,000 long or 20,000 average movies. How many can you watch a day? Even if you go through 5 a day, more than a full workday, that's 10 years. And if you watch 5 movies a day, you shouldn't have a problem replacing your TV once a decade.
post #3741 of 3927 Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post

The average APL of SDR movies is no more than 7%, much lower for HDR (but not as easily measurable), so it would take forever to wear through the headroom on the entire central area. It took 2500 hours on a SDR 100% element, so expect about 35,000 hours to get black bar BI on B7+ models. That's 15,000 long or 20,000 average movies. How many can you watch a day? Even if you go through 5 a day, more than a full workday, that's 10 years. And if you watch 5 movies a day, you shouldn't have a problem replacing your TV once a decade.
Great post!
post #3742 of 3927 Old 07-27-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by j p View Post
First time poster here, though I've lurked on the site a few times. I recently noticed burn in on my B6 that was purchased in Oct. 2016 (seems to be a common date mentioned) and thought I'd share. I'm sure others have brought it up, but my burn in is from the freaking bright red NETFLIX logo on LG's app! No burn in of any kind from any static network logos or news channels, yet burn in from a NETFLIX logo caused by casual browsing for no more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

That logo concerns me as well and I have to minmize the time spent in the Netflix menu screen as a result. The bright red fixed logo is probably the worst in terms of burn-in, especially for older OLEDs with smaller red subpixel.
post #3743 of 3927 Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 AM

Liked: 0
OLED Screen Burn In

LG OLED65 E6V panel (2016 build)
I recently posted a problem I had with this screen that green horizontal bands had appeared. However, yesterday I was watching a recorded programme which was interrupted by a red screen warning that the signal had been lost. Having a totally red screen allowed me to see the shadow images I get across all inputs more clearly. It was a shadow of the Sky News banner along the bottom, an OSN (satellite feed) banner top right and a faint shadow of the OSN EPG planner superimposed on that.
Looking on CNET I established that this was “burn in” and not “image retention”. However, they say that this occurs when a static image is left on the TV for a prolonged period. I NEVER do this and my watching habits are mixed inasmuch I variously watch content from 2 separate satellite feeds, from a Bluray player and from my computer.
Furthermore I have “screen shift” turned on and I have used the cleaning programme to clear noise a few times.
So the problem of “burn in” is not caused the way CNET describes and my watching habits are normal. Has anyone else experienced this? And what, if anything, can be done to rectify the issue?
post #3744 of 3927 Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHeff View Post
LG OLED65 E6V panel (2016 build)
I recently posted a problem I had with this screen that green horizontal bands had appeared. However, yesterday I was watching a recorded programme which was interrupted by a red screen warning that the signal had been lost. Having a totally red screen allowed me to see the shadow images I get across all inputs more clearly. It was a shadow of the Sky News banner along the bottom, an OSN (satellite feed) banner top right and a faint shadow of the OSN EPG planner superimposed on that.
Looking on CNET I established that this was “burn in” and not “image retention”. However, they say that this occurs when a static image is left on the TV for a prolonged period. I NEVER do this and my watching habits are mixed inasmuch I variously watch content from 2 separate satellite feeds, from a Bluray player and from my computer.
Furthermore I have “screen shift” turned on and I have used the cleaning programme to clear noise a few times.
So the problem of “burn in” is not caused the way CNET describes and my watching habits are normal. Has anyone else experienced this? And what, if anything, can be done to rectify the issue?
Contact LG service to see if they will replace the screen. You will loose 3D capability but....

Regarding why this happened, BI is accumulative...1 hour of CNN a day for 365 days has the same-ish effect as 365 hours straight. Does not matter if you mix. Just uneven wearing. Also olight and color levels are important factors...lower the better. For your viewing habits Oled was probably not the best choice.

Oleds are great for movies, the very best. For a general use tv, not so much.

post #3745 of 3927 Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG 65B6 with 3800 hours on it and I have two rows of rectangles near the bottom of the screen.
I have no idea if this is burn-in and what it could possibly be a burn of.
Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG Olde.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2600478  
post #3746 of 3927 Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 AM
j p

Update: A tech came and installed my replacement panel yesterday, and...it's got problems. I don't know if this is banding, or a color uniformity issue, or what, but the left side of the panel has a huge bright area that is tinted pink. The far left of the panel has about a six inch strip from top to bottom that is darker than the rest of the panel, and when I run a uniformity test video I can see a vertical line straight down the panel that coincides with the problem area on the left of the screen.

I pointed it out to the tech, and he said he will get it taken care of. I'm assuming that means ordering another panel. But, I'm concerned because he left the new panel on my TV, and took my original panel with him. He did seem genuine in his assurance that he would take care of the issue and that he had seen the problem on OLEDs before. He told me nothing could be done over the weekend, so go ahead and use the TV with the new panel until he contacts me. I'm optimistic at this point, but still a little worried.

On the bright side, no burn in anymore and the problem is not noticeable when watching regular content (so far). But "good enough" isn't going to cut it for me when I spend that kind of money on a TV. Aside from the burn in, my old panel had perfect uniformity with no banding at all. Hopefully I will get another panel with no issues.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190807_181314.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	2600618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_181305.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	2600620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_181338.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	2600622   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_181214.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2600624  

LG OLED 65B6
post #3747 of 3927 Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 AM
j p

Here's one more pic showing the difference between the left and right side of the panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190807_181150.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	618.4 KB
ID:	2600626  

LG OLED 65B6
post #3748 of 3927 Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have had this issue for a while now. Unfortunately Inever reached out to LG before my one year mark because I thought it was burnin. After some reading, I thought maybe I have a bad panel, given how uneventhe wear is. LG refused to do anything without me paying, and paying $125diagnostic fee first since it is out of warranty. Panel hours is 4200

LG will lose a good customer here

LG I own, sorry I don't know all of the models off the top of my head

65E7P
4 27” UD68-P’s
2 other 55” 3D LED TVs
Stainless steel kitchen appliances, Fridge, Microwave,stove, dishwasher
UBK90 4k blu ray

Had no intention of buying anything other than LG in the future, but not standing behind their products regardless of warranty is making begin to look elsewhere when the time comes.

You can see the color difference in the images of the golf screens. I understand the ESPN logo visible on the bottom of the screen (in the yellow photo) is burn in. I watch a decent amount of sports, most of which are not on ESPN however (golf channel, YES network, CBS)

Something has to be wrong with this panel, or maybe I'm missing something. If this is just burn in (no idea what could be burned in) then so be it. If it's something else, I hope LG realizes the error and fixes it regardless of warranty.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7215.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	2600708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7208.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	856.3 KB
ID:	2600710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7212.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	919.1 KB
ID:	2600712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7394.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	2600714  
post #3749 of 3927 Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also just remembered to mention, the TV software has never been updated. Every time I try to update, the update fails. I have it hard wired to my modem. I stream Netflix and have used YouTube without issue. Updates though, never once has it worked since I purchased it.

Also, sorry for the previous post. I was at work, and my keyboard battery was dying. Kept missing key strokes.
post #3750 of 3927 Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine45 View Post
I have had this issue for a while now. Unfortunately Inever reached out to LG before my one year mark because I thought it was burnin. After some reading, I thought maybe I have a bad panel, given how uneventhe wear is. LG refused to do anything without me paying, and paying $125diagnostic fee first since it is out of warranty. Panel hours is 4200

LG will lose a good customer here

LG I own, sorry I don't know all of the models off the top of my head

65E7P
4 27” UD68-P’s
2 other 55” 3D LED TVs
Stainless steel kitchen appliances, Fridge, Microwave,stove, dishwasher
UBK90 4k blu ray

Had no intention of buying anything other than LG in the future, but not standing behind their products regardless of warranty is making begin to look elsewhere when the time comes.

You can see the color difference in the images of the golf screens. I understand the ESPN logo visible on the bottom of the screen (in the yellow photo) is burn in. I watch a decent amount of sports, most of which are not on ESPN however (golf channel, YES network, CBS)

Something has to be wrong with this panel, or maybe I'm missing something. If this is just burn in (no idea what could be burned in) then so be it. If it's something else, I hope LG realizes the error and fixes it regardless of warranty.

Thoughts?
Id keep on them...but stay polite and reasonable. Ask to speak to supervisors and other people to get your case moved along. Thats definitely not good and I think they should at least try and help you out. Even if they charged less than normal or did something "good will" towards the situation.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
blacks , burn in , burn-in , lg oled , lg tv , lg-tv , oled , oled burn-in , plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page