Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16065Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3991 of 4048 Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Back on topic, has anyone been able to get LG to refund them the replacement value of the panel (parts and labor), towards the purchase of a new TV? For some of us, a replacement panel will only get burn in again eventually with our viewing habits.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3992 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Back on topic, has anyone been able to get LG to refund them the replacement value of the panel (parts and labor), towards the purchase of a new TV? For some of us, a replacement panel will only get burn in again eventually with our viewing habits.

Not sure about that - why would they? I think they are already doing a "good" thing here replacing panels well out of warranty. And, viewing habits comes into play here as you said - you need to change those or the results could very well be the same. There are plenty of users that should NOT buy an emissive display due to certain viewing habits, like CNN/News watchers or heavy gamers. This is well known.



Buy an LCD.
fhschellenberg likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #3993 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Not sure about that - why would they? I think they are already doing a "good" thing here replacing panels well out of warranty. And, viewing habits comes into play here as you said - you need to change those or the results could very well be the same. There are plenty of users that should NOT buy an emissive display due to certain viewing habits, like CNN/News watchers or heavy gamers. This is well known.



Buy an LCD.
Yes, that's what I'd like to do: buy an LCD so I can watch what I want as much as I want, instead of LG replacing my panel, just so it can get burn-in again.



I recall reading someone saying they got a check from LG for the full purchase price of the TV, instead of a panel replacement. Seems too good to be true, but it's possible I suppose. I'd settle for a check in the amount of the cost of the panel replacement (parts and labor), so I can use that towards the purchase of an LCD. Doesn't cost LG any more or less than replacing the panel, so the better question is "why WOULDN'T they?"


Anyone know how much a B6 panel replacement costs roughly? I hear the panels are very expensive; almost the price of a new TV. Not sure what LG's cost is.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3994 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Yes, that's what I'd like to do: buy an LCD so I can watch what I want as much as I want, instead of LG replacing my panel, just so it can get burn-in again.



I recall reading someone saying they got a check from LG for the full purchase price of the TV, instead of a panel replacement. Seems too good to be true, but it's possible I suppose. I'd settle for a check in the amount of the cost of the panel replacement (parts and labor), so I can use that towards the purchase of an LCD. Doesn't cost LG any more or less than replacing the panel, so the better question is "why WOULDN'T they?"


Anyone know how much a B6 panel replacement costs roughly? I hear the panels are very expensive; almost the price of a new TV. Not sure what LG's cost is.
I believe "LG Display" (different company) is losing money on panel replacements, not "LG"
Whoever got the check might have had 3d panel, which I believe is something they don't replace anymore

Last edited by bad_oled; 11-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
bad_oled is offline  
post #3995 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
I believe "LG Display" (different company) is losing money on panel replacements, not "LG"
Whoever got the check might have had 3d panel, which I believe is something they don't replace anymore

You may be right about the member who got a check instead of a panel replacement being a 3D OLED owner. As far as LG Display goes, LG would be "buying" the panels from LGD, so LGD doesn't lose money, but LG does. These panel replacement are probably a boost in business for LG Display, but a ding to LG's bottom line. Regardless, whatever LG's cost is for that replacement panel, they should be able to offer a check in that amount plus any labor charges, to anyone they're willing to offer a replacement panel to (once they've confirmed the burn-in). Only tricky part with that would be LG possibly low-balling the replacement cost of the panel to the customer as no one really knows LG's cost except for LG. Still, customer can decide if it's a fair offer or opt for the panel instead.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #3996 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
You may be right about the member who got a check instead of a panel replacement being a 3D OLED owner. As far as LG Display goes, LG would be "buying" the panels from LGD, so LGD doesn't lose money, but LG does. These panel replacement are probably a boost in business for LG Display, but a ding to LG's bottom line. Regardless, whatever LG's cost is for that replacement panel, they should be able to offer a check in that amount plus any labor charges, to anyone they're willing to offer a replacement panel to (once they've confirmed the burn-in). Only tricky part with that would be LG possibly low-balling the replacement cost of the panel to the customer as no one really knows LG's cost except for LG. Still, customer can decide if it's a fair offer or opt for the panel instead.
I don't think so. I think LG Display is the one who eats most if not all of the cost of the replacement panel. it is their defect.. they're the ones who probably promised something that's not being delivered

Last edited by bad_oled; 11-20-2019 at 06:56 PM.
bad_oled is offline  
post #3997 of 4048 Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Yes, that's what I'd like to do: buy an LCD so I can watch what I want as much as I want, instead of LG replacing my panel, just so it can get burn-in again.



I recall reading someone saying they got a check from LG for the full purchase price of the TV, instead of a panel replacement. Seems too good to be true, but it's possible I suppose. I'd settle for a check in the amount of the cost of the panel replacement (parts and labor), so I can use that towards the purchase of an LCD. Doesn't cost LG any more or less than replacing the panel, so the better question is "why WOULDN'T they?"


Anyone know how much a B6 panel replacement costs roughly? I hear the panels are very expensive; almost the price of a new TV. Not sure what LG's cost is.

I suppose you can ask. The worst they can say is no, right? If they dont, then perhaps try and adjust your viewing habits to avoid the situation again? Not trying to be a smart-aleck, just offering a suggestion. Emissive displays have aways required more "managing" than a backlit display. The better PQ you get with an emissive display comes at a price - the price of avoiding certain use cases & viewing habits. Thats really all there is to it.
Reflex-Arc, Cam1977 and Kenbar like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #3998 of 4048 Old 11-21-2019, 06:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Samsung mocks OLED TV while it seems like they'll be releasing their own couple years from now.

Any idea what the difference is between OLED and QD-OLED ?


"That's why Samsung does not make OLED TVs"
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/sa...s-ceo-confirms
bad_oled is offline  
post #3999 of 4048 Old 11-21-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by japers View Post
I think only uploading an image will suffice to explain what I'm seeing. It's just a small triangular figure at the bottom center of the screen. When I first noticed it this week, I said to myself that it must be image retention from a "Play" button. There's only one problem with that. I've been through the video sources we use on this TV, and not one of them uses a play button in that location.

That looks like the play button of the amazon prime app. And it's yellow, Oleds favourite color...

Attached picture is from a Panasonic Oled, does the app look identical on LG Oleds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prime.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	2643912  
AV Challenged and japers like this.
jk82 is offline  
post #4000 of 4048 Old 11-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europa
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
Samsung mocks OLED TV while it seems like they'll be releasing their own couple years from now.
Its like when everyone mocked Apple for removing the headphone jack and then did the same thing a year later.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #4001 of 4048 Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
That looks like the play button of the amazon prime app. And it's yellow, Oleds favourite color...

Attached picture is from a Panasonic Oled, does the app look identical on LG Oleds?

Thank you, jk82!


You have found the (probable) culprit. I couldn't find that to save my life!


I haven't been seeing it because I wasn't using the Pause button on Amazon Prime. On the streaming services I just use the Back button when I want to stop streaming. That leaves the selector on the current episode of whatever I'm watching. Restarting just requires hitting the central control button on the remote. (The back button is easier to find by feel on the remote in the dark viewing room. / Why didn't LG put backlighting on their remote control?)


So I have to wonder why this yellow button seems to have caused some sort of retained shadow image in this one are of my particular TV. That yellow is used on lots of controls, including a rectangular icon on the bottom right of screen I go to on Amazon Prime when I hit the Back button to pause what I'm watching. There's no sign whatsoever of an artifact in that area of the screen?
japers is offline  
post #4002 of 4048 Old 11-22-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by japers View Post
Thank you, jk82!


You have found the (probable) culprit. I couldn't find that to save my life!


I haven't been seeing it because I wasn't using the Pause button on Amazon Prime. On the streaming services I just use the Back button when I want to stop streaming. That leaves the selector on the current episode of whatever I'm watching. Restarting just requires hitting the central control button on the remote. (The back button is easier to find by feel on the remote in the dark viewing room. / Why didn't LG put backlighting on their remote control?)


So I have to wonder why this yellow button seems to have caused some sort of retained shadow image in this one are of my particular TV. That yellow is used on lots of controls, including a rectangular icon on the bottom right of screen I go to on Amazon Prime when I hit the Back button to pause what I'm watching. There's no sign whatsoever of an artifact in that area of the screen?
Only thing I can say is... these OLEDs are weird...

I got the yellow rectangle from the YouTube app burned in on my previous panel, in addition to elements of the HUD of the Destiny 2 logo. The Destiny 2 HUD makes sense to me. There are transparency options for the HUD, but the highest setting barely makes it less opaque than not using it at all. The elements that burned in were yellow. The game was always played in HDR, and the HUD is even more super bright in HDR than SDR. I have thousands of hours in Destiny 2 and Destiny 1 combined, and I think the HUD is the same on both, basically, and in the same place. All checks out as potentially dangerous viewing for an LG WOLED.

The YouTube rectangle doesn't make sense to me. The rectangle shows when you pause a video or when you are on the homescreen of the app and not watching a video. I almost never pause a YouTube video, and on the very rare occasions I do, it's only for like a minute at the most. I'm rarely on the app home screen because I launch and control the app from my phone, and play one vid after the next from my queued up watch later list. So all in all, maybe that rectangle was displayed hundreds or thousands of times, but in almost all cases when it was displayed, it was only on screen for the time it takes me to exit out of the app after the last video finished playing.

That one has me baffled. Sounds like maybe your yellow triangle is similar, in that you rarely bring it up, and when you do, it's for a very short period of time, yet it burned in. Maybe WOLEDs don't like certain yellow geometric shapes

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #4003 of 4048 Old 11-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Only thing I can say is... these OLEDs are weird...

I got the yellow rectangle from the YouTube app burned in on my previous panel, in addition to elements of the HUD of the Destiny 2 logo. The Destiny 2 HUD makes sense to me. There are transparency options for the HUD, but the highest setting barely makes it less opaque than not using it at all. The elements that burned in were yellow. The game was always played in HDR, and the HUD is even more super bright in HDR than SDR. I have thousands of hours in Destiny 2 and Destiny 1 combined, and I think the HUD is the same on both, basically, and in the same place. All checks out as potentially dangerous viewing for an LG WOLED.

The YouTube rectangle doesn't make sense to me. The rectangle shows when you pause a video or when you are on the homescreen of the app and not watching a video. I almost never pause a YouTube video, and on the very rare occasions I do, it's only for like a minute at the most. I'm rarely on the app home screen because I launch and control the app from my phone, and play one vid after the next from my queued up watch later list. So all in all, maybe that rectangle was displayed hundreds or thousands of times, but in almost all cases when it was displayed, it was only on screen for the time it takes me to exit out of the app after the last video finished playing.

That one has me baffled. Sounds like maybe your yellow triangle is similar, in that you rarely bring it up, and when you do, it's for a very short period of time, yet it burned in. Maybe WOLEDs don't like certain yellow geometric shapes
The play button on Amazon Prime is hardly ever displayed on this set because of the way we use the remote. I didn't even know it was there until I experimented with the pause button. No such play button shows up on the other streaming services we use. But the Amazon button is definitely in exactly the same place as the shadow.

At first I was tempted to think this was some sort of firmware / WebOS problem, but the coincidence of position of the dark and yellow triangles makes me lean toward the more common explanation.

Yet I see what I believe to be the same yellow in other places on our set, and those are display several times a day every day. They are displayed in different areas of the screen than the triangle, and there is absolutely no sign of image retention or shadow in those areas.

I'm flummoxed. Maybe some screens have faulty sections that are particularly sensitive to this issue. In that case it's a quality control issue rather than a design issue. I'm been careful in my use of the screen to prevent this problem, but it didn't keep the issue from rearing its ugly head.

If the number of panels / customers affected is small enough, LG should fix the issue. Three years of use from a set of this cost is not acceptable. If the numbers are higher, I'd imagine there will be lawyers sniffing around.

Thanks for you input.
japers is offline  
post #4004 of 4048 Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Only thing I can say is... these OLEDs are weird...

I got the yellow rectangle from the YouTube app burned in on my previous panel, in addition to elements of the HUD of the Destiny 2 logo. The Destiny 2 HUD makes sense to me. There are transparency options for the HUD, but the highest setting barely makes it less opaque than not using it at all. The elements that burned in were yellow. The game was always played in HDR, and the HUD is even more super bright in HDR than SDR. I have thousands of hours in Destiny 2 and Destiny 1 combined, and I think the HUD is the same on both, basically, and in the same place. All checks out as potentially dangerous viewing for an LG WOLED.

The YouTube rectangle doesn't make sense to me. The rectangle shows when you pause a video or when you are on the homescreen of the app and not watching a video. I almost never pause a YouTube video, and on the very rare occasions I do, it's only for like a minute at the most. I'm rarely on the app home screen because I launch and control the app from my phone, and play one vid after the next from my queued up watch later list. So all in all, maybe that rectangle was displayed hundreds or thousands of times, but in almost all cases when it was displayed, it was only on screen for the time it takes me to exit out of the app after the last video finished playing.

That one has me baffled. Sounds like maybe your yellow triangle is similar, in that you rarely bring it up, and when you do, it's for a very short period of time, yet it burned in. Maybe WOLEDs don't like certain yellow geometric shapes
Bright yellow burns in quickly on 2016 panels. Maybe the burn-in resistance of the panel overall gets lower as the panel ages. I've noticed temporary IR of yellow elements lasting longer even if the yellow element is on screen for just a few seconds. The panel always had temporary IR issues from the beginning, but now, after thousands of hours of use, it seems to be worse. I know some have said that with OLEDs temporary IR is in no way related to burn-in, but I think it may be possible that temporary IR performance may be linked to propensity for burn-in, with some variations between panels. I mean why is it the same colors that are prone to burn in (yellow, orange, red) tend to cause more long lasting temporary IR? On my Fire TV home screen, I'll have several tiles for various apps, yet it's the yellow IMDB TV tile that causes temporary IR after just a few seconds, while the other static elements do not. There's gotta be a link between IR performance and burn-in resistance with these OLEDs (at least the older ones).

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #4005 of 4048 Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Question to those that had their panels replaced by LG: is LG requiring you to sign off on anything "agreement"? For instance, something stating that by accepting this repair/replacement, you waive all rights to sue LG (especially if it gets burn-in again)?

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #4006 of 4048 Old 11-26-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Question to those that had their panels replaced by LG: is LG requiring you to sign off on anything "agreement"? For instance, something stating that by accepting this repair/replacement, you waive all rights to sue LG (especially if it gets burn-in again)?
They did require that you sign a waiver acknowledging that you won't be getting a 3D panel as a replacement, if your current set is 3D. I don't remember anything about waiving the right to join a class action, or to bring actions yourself.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #4007 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Member
 
MarkAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Am I a prime candidate for burn in???

Am I a prime candidate for burn in????

First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.

I really want that C9 but here is my concern.

My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.

Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time

My second Biggest use is old monochrome Movies of the 40's tv shows like I love Lucy or Wagon train.

My wife watches some Life Channel and hallmark


AM I a prime candidate for burn in?????????

What would be the best alternative to the OLED if I must switch.

(currently watching a plasma)
MarkAnderson is offline  
post #4008 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Am I a prime candidate for burn in????

First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.

I really want that C9 but here is my concern.

My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.

Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time

My second Biggest use is old monochrome Movies of the 40's tv shows like I love Lucy or Wagon train.

My wife watches some Life Channel and hallmark


AM I a prime candidate for burn in?????????

What would be the best alternative to the OLED if I must switch.

(currently watching a plasma)

I would say an OLED is NOT for you. Your best bet is to find a good LCD which IMO means the nicest Sony you can afford. The Samsungs are OK but I think the Sony LCDs are better and thats the only brand LCD Id buy if I had to. Its just not worth it to get a premium TV thats going to spend a good amount of its day as a news-ticker.
macmane likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #4009 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macmane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Am I a prime candidate for burn in????



First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.



I really want that C9 but here is my concern.



My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.



Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time



My second Biggest use is old monochrome Movies of the 40's tv shows like I love Lucy or Wagon train.



My wife watches some Life Channel and hallmark





AM I a prime candidate for burn in?????????



What would be the best alternative to the OLED if I must switch.



(currently watching a plasma)
I wouldn't get an oled if that's the case

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
RoadLizard likes this.
macmane is offline  
post #4010 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Am I a prime candidate for burn in????

First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.

I really want that C9 but here is my concern.

My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.

Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time

Don't even think about it. My B6 had BAD burn-in in 1,500 hours watching FBN for 3 hours in the AM and about the same at the market close. Yellow seems to burn almost immediately. Consider https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g which might be my replacement screen today.

55B6P
AV Challenged is offline  
post #4011 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone know if LG uses new or refurbished or something panels for replacements?

If both how do you identify which one is which?

Any barcode to look on the box or wrap packaging or the panel itself?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
bad_oled is offline  
post #4012 of 4048 Old 11-28-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Am I a prime candidate for burn in????

First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.

I really want that C9 but here is my concern.

My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.

Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time

My second Biggest use is old monochrome Movies of the 40's tv shows like I love Lucy or Wagon train.

My wife watches some Life Channel and hallmark


AM I a prime candidate for burn in?????????

What would be the best alternative to the OLED if I must switch.

(currently watching a plasma)
As others have said, better skip on OLED if you watch that many hours of news channels a day, and still expect a burn-in free screen years from now. Both Rtings and cnet seem to say that the Vizio P series Quantum is the next best thing to an OLED in terms of PQ.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #4013 of 4048 Old 11-29-2019, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Am I a prime candidate for burn in????

First off, my budget has increased to 1,800.

I really want that C9 but here is my concern.

My TV is on 14 hours a day every day.

Most of my watching is either Fox news or CNN news. It will sit on one of those channels straight for 8 hours at a time

My second Biggest use is old monochrome Movies of the 40's tv shows like I love Lucy or Wagon train.

My wife watches some Life Channel and hallmark


AM I a prime candidate for burn in?????????

What would be the best alternative to the OLED if I must switch.

(currently watching a plasma)
go get a tcl tv, their the best at that price! OLED isn't for real news watchers, but u can always zoom in from the breaking bars and watch them still, like i do.....
Spidergames is offline  
post #4014 of 4048 Old 11-29-2019, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Challenged View Post
Don't even think about it. My B6 had BAD burn-in in 1,500 hours watching FBN for 3 hours in the AM and about the same at the market close. Yellow seems to burn almost immediately. Consider https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g which might be my replacement screen today.


the C9 isn't the same as a B6....
Spidergames is offline  
post #4015 of 4048 Old 11-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Member
 
MarkAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
the C9 isn't the same as a B6....
Are you saying that the newer models are better at dealing with burn in?
MarkAnderson is offline  
post #4016 of 4048 Old 11-29-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,573
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6649 Post(s)
Liked: 6475
Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAnderson View Post
Are you saying that the newer models are better at dealing with burn in?


Yes, newer models have been better, that is a “known”...they are not immune, but each iteration we get is an improvement. With as much news as you watch you still aren’t an ideal candidate for OLED as there are too many static images.
Kenbar likes this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #4017 of 4048 Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OLED 65B7V Area Discoloration

Hi all. First post here. Would have liked to avoid issues like this, but here I am. Just 2-3 weeks after the warranty period for my 65B7V, this happened.

It't not burn in, but a discoloration in the center of the scene. I contacted LG's support and I am waiting for their response, but buying a 65B7V with 2500EUR and having it break 3 weeks after the warranty period is more than frustrating. I have a Panasonic plasma tv from 2011 and works flawlessly still....

Let's just say that the answer I get from LG's support will decide if I am going to buy another LG any time soon or ever again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9796d86a-d498-4a42-95ba-d4d6fcea879f.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2651734   Click image for larger version

Name:	826a73d9-53fe-487a-8083-0a639cd49b4a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2651736   Click image for larger version

Name:	82ab5f23-d1c7-4e42-92cd-80f58e2bc505.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2651738  
Dan-Alexandru Gheorghe is offline  
post #4018 of 4048 Old 12-10-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Alexandru Gheorghe View Post
Hi all. First post here. Would have liked to avoid issues like this, but here I am. Just 2-3 weeks after the warranty period for my 65B7V, this happened.

It't not burn in, but a discoloration in the center of the scene. I contacted LG's support and I am waiting for their response, but buying a 65B7V with 2500EUR and having it break 3 weeks after the warranty period is more than frustrating. I have a Panasonic plasma tv from 2011 and works flawlessly still....

Let's just say that the answer I get from LG's support will decide if I am going to buy another LG any time soon or ever again.
You say that's not burn-in but that's exactly what burn-in looks like. Especially telling is the green color against the yellow background. Burn-in of yellow/red appears green when viewed against a yellow backdrop. Let us know what LG says it is or what could have caused it. Maybe BI is related to some other technical issue with these OLEDs.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #4019 of 4048 Old 12-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Clesarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
Samsung mocks OLED TV while it seems like they'll be releasing their own couple years from now.

Any idea what the difference is between OLED and QD-OLED ?


"That's why Samsung does not make OLED TVs"https://youtu.be/2_EA3VMi-Sg
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/sa...s-ceo-confirms
At the rate Samsung is going I see no real reason for them to make OLED. Their quantum tvs are getting closer and closer and have major bright level advantages. The average joe blow equates brightness with quality. So when Qleds have really excellent blacks now and a bright picture, most people arent jumping all over OLED. OLED is the next plasma, The better picture that wont have a chance at all in winning.
Clesarie is offline  
post #4020 of 4048 Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	2652728
5% at 115 hours. I take it I didn’t win the panel lottery? Should I run the pixel refresher to fix this? I’m not getting any replies in the other thread so I’m hoping somebody could give me some advice here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC72 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
blacks , burn in , burn-in , cnbc , lg oled , lg tv , lg-tv , oled , oled burn-in , plasma

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off