Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16232Likes

post #4411 of 4501 Old 05-23-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Well I’ll be damned. I have burn-in on my C6. I don’t post much in display but usually commenting I have a 6 series with zero issues.

I swapped out my Comcast DVR for a 4k box today and after hookup was sitting on the floor waiting for boot up to occur. Right there in the lower right corner “ID”. That is from that cable crime show channel ID that I have on frequently during late night. The logo is on constantly I think. Need to look now that this happened.

In lighter screens now It’s all I can see. Ugh. I’ll have to see if I can run the screen cleanup and see if it goes away.

Well damn..
Isn't the ID channel logo an somewhat transparent white? That should take almost forever to burn-in.

LG OLED65B6P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc31 View Post
Yet one more example of burn-in, this time on a 55C7P. Bought originally in Oct 2017 from DirectBuy. Noticed vertical band on the left side of the screen exactly the width of the "Settings" menu. Called LG in Nov 2018 for it and they would not cover repair as the TV warranty had expired.
[...]
After running a Pixel Refresher cycle, I noticed even more burn-in from the HUDs in Assassin's Creed and Horizon Zero Dawn and realized just how bad this had become. Was resigned to replacing the TV with a new CX before I found this thread and discovered that LG were (finally) doing something about the problem. Called them earlier in the week and opened a case. Sent in photos of the burn-in and receipt. Replacement panel shipped out today; hopefully it'll get installed during the week.

Does this mean that LG replaced the panel in your 55C7P due to burn-in, despite that the TV warranty had expired?

Last edited by Fjodor2000; 05-24-2020 at 03:49 AM.
post #4413 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
C9 "should" be fairly burn-in resistant compared to something like a 6-series.

Has LG made the later OLED TV series more burn-in resistant? If so, in what series did they improve that, e.g. C7, C8, C9, CX? Or has it improved step by step with each new generation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Does this mean that LG replaced the panel in your 55C7P due to burn-in, despite that the TV warranty had expired?

Yes, they did. They validated the serial number and original receipt as part of the process, then sent out a tech. It was fixed much faster than I expected, too. Took less than 10 days.
post #4415 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc31 View Post
Yes, they did. They validated the serial number and original receipt as part of the process, then sent out a tech. It was fixed much faster than I expected, too. Took less than 10 days.

Nice. Good customer service I must say. Kudos to LG. How come they did that if the warranty had expired? Is burn-in covered by some other guarantee, that is valid for longer than the warranty (if so, for how long is that guarantee valid)?
post #4416 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Has LG made the later OLED TV series more burn-in resistant? If so, in what series did they improve that, e.g. C7, C8, C9, CX? Or has it improved step by step with each new generation?
From "7" series.

Wysłane z mojego POCOPHONE F1 przy użyciu Tapatalka
post #4417 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice. Good customer service I must say. Kudos to LG. How come they did that if the warranty had expired? Is burn-in covered by some other guarantee, that is valid for longer than the warranty (if so, for how long is that guarantee valid)?
To my knowledge, burn-in is still not covered by LG warranty. They've been replacing burned in screens as a one-time courtesy on a case by case basis. Some have been denied. At least one other member got his screens replaced twice on the same TV. YMMV.

LG OLED65B6P
post #4418 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Letterboxing or the black bars that frame movies on TV Screens

Is there any worries of watching content with letterboxing, or the black bars that frame most movies on television screens in regards to the black bars burning in or anything else on an OLED screen (LG C9 65")?

I'm new to OLED and just worry every time I see those black lines in a movie, it would be good to know that I can relax and not worry about them!
post #4419 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 324
^Yes you can relax and not worry about them, the oled pixels in those black bars are basically shut off.
Cam1977 likes this.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #4420 of 4501 Old 05-24-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
^Yes you can relax and not worry about them, the oled pixels in those black bars are basically shut off.

Thank you very kindly, we are so happy with the OLED picture quality. Never seen anything so fantastic, just that niggling worry about those black bars, so thanks for alleviating that worry.
post #4421 of 4501 Old 05-25-2020, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadajo View Post
From "7" series.
Ok, so what was changed in the 7-series that makes them more resistant to burn-in compared to previous series?
post #4422 of 4501 Old 05-25-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, so what was changed in the 7-series that makes them more resistant to burn-in compared to previous series?
That knows only LGD

post #4423 of 4501 Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadajo View Post
That knows only LGD

Well, then how do you know that LG have changed something in the 7-series to make it more resistant to burn-in? Are you just speculating based on the number of burn-in reports from users on this forum for various LG TV series, or has LG said publicly that they have made some changes in the 7-series to prevent burn-in?
post #4424 of 4501 Old 05-25-2020, 04:34 AM

From reviews and test. Google is your friend u know

post #4425 of 4501 Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, then how do you know that LG have changed something in the 7-series to make it more resistant to burn-in? Are you just speculating based on the number of burn-in reports from users on this forum for various LG TV series, or has LG said publicly that they have made some changes in the 7-series to prevent burn-in?
The known improvements happened in 2018. Larger red sub-pixel and the addition of an option in the settings for logo dimming "High".

There were rumors of a coating applied to the 2017 screens to aid in resisting BI...banding issues seen in many 2017 models were blamed on this rumored coating. Either way, I am not aware of any proof of a change made between 2016 and the 2017 screens.
Fjodor2000 likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #4426 of 4501 Old 05-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My LG 65B7 OLED purchased November 2017 (and manufactured in Mexico that same month) has very noticeable burn-in, and after being denied coverage by both Costco and SquareTrade (which claims that burn-in isn't covered, despite that not being specified anywhere in their paperwork), LG has agreed to replace the panel for me gratis.

Photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/EPgGTDV

Few odd things:

First, the horizontal bands across the middle of the screen that are all evenly spaced. There are never any images with that pattern left on-screen ... I don't have cable and never have a channel grid displayed, so I don't know how that pattern could have been burned in.

Second, this TV has been 99% streaming and locally-stored video. No cable news, very little streamed sports, and the vast majority Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/AmazonPrime etc ... none of which have logo bugs of any kind. All of that viewing was done on an Apple TV 4K that has a built-in 5 minute screensaver. Yet the Infuse App Icon is burned in, and there are several "Neflix" logo bugs burned into the lower right. I have no idea how those things burned in.

The big lined blob in the middle is visible on red/orange/yellow/purple and even on white. It looks almost like heat damage.

I'm fully expecting that in another two years, even with my conservative OLED light settings (was set on Technicolor with all motion enhancement disabled and low brightness) I'm gonna get the same thing happen in the new panel.

Has anyone had any experience with the panel replacements? I understand they just swap out the screen itself, keeping the electronics, so it won't have the auto-dimming features of the later models but might have the larger red subpixel from the 8-series on. Can't imagine they keep enough old 7-series panels in stock.
post #4427 of 4501 Old 05-30-2020, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu View Post
First, the horizontal bands across the middle of the screen that are all evenly spaced. There are never any images with that pattern left on-screen ... I don't have cable and never have a channel grid displayed, so I don't know how that pattern could have been burned in.
Second, this TV has been 99% streaming and locally-stored video. No cable news, very little streamed sports, and the vast majority Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/AmazonPrime etc ... none of which have logo bugs of any kind. All of that viewing was done on an Apple TV 4K that has a built-in 5 minute screensaver. Yet the Infuse App Icon is burned in, and there are several "Neflix" logo bugs burned into the lower right. I have no idea how those things burned in.
The horizontal bands look like the apps that are tiled on the Apple TV 4K home screen, they potentially seem the right size and shape for them along with the spacing. So if the Apple TV home screen is displayed for extended periods of time (even with the 5 min screensaver) that cumulatively is able to prematurely wear the central section of the panel out along with the other media you're watching.
post #4428 of 4501 Old 05-30-2020, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 158
First genetation of LG OLED is real crap in terms of image retention/burn-in. Plus many owners love to watch everything at OLED 100 brightness. No wonder that all they get is burn-in.
post #4429 of 4501 Old 05-30-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
First genetation of LG OLED is real crap in terms of image retention/burn-in. Plus many owners love to watch everything at OLED 100 brightness. No wonder that all they get is burn-in.

What generation are the C9's ?
post #4430 of 4501 Old 05-30-2020, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu View Post
The horizontal bands look like the apps that are tiled on the Apple TV 4K home screen, they potentially seem the right size and shape for them along with the spacing. So if the Apple TV home screen is displayed for extended periods of time (even with the 5 min screensaver) that cumulatively is able to prematurely wear the central section of the panel out along with the other media you're watching.
The key word being Cumulatively. People still don’t understand this technology. It’s total time something is displayed that matters.
post #4431 of 4501 Old 06-06-2020, 02:43 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Well unfortunately Covid killed my OLED B6... Wife has been watching CNN non stop for months... I now have the logo burned in as well as a rectangular box on the left side.

Brutally noticeable with and red or orange backgrounds.

Had calibrated the set myself (oled light and contrast at 86 and brightness at 52).

Screen shift has always been kept on.

Have run clear panel noise numerous times over the past week and lots of varied content with zero CNN.

Might have helped a tad but still very noticeable. Now a CAD$4k piece of junk.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #4432 of 4501 Old 06-06-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Well unfortunately Covid killed my OLED B6... Wife has been watching CNN non stop for months... I now have the logo burned in as well as a rectangular box on the left side.

Had calibrated the set myself (oled light and contrast at 86 and brightness at 52).

Have run clear panel noise numerous times over the past week and lots of varied content with zero CNN.

I think you already know, but LG has been offering a one time screen replacement for BI. You might have to be persistent.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #4433 of 4501 Old 06-06-2020, 06:17 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I think you already know, but LG has been offering a one time screen replacement for BI. You might have to be persistent.
Even for B6's? Anyone posts tips around what to say exactly?

Will call this week.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #4434 of 4501 Old 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear this. Your OLED light at 86 being relatively high surely accelerated the onset of burn-in. As Kenbar mentioned, get in touch with LG. They've been replacing panels for burn-in out of warranty at no charge.

LG OLED65B6P
post #4435 of 4501 Old 06-07-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even for B6's? Anyone posts tips around what to say exactly?

Will call this week.
I have read using some Facebook thread was best...but no sure as I don't have a Facebook account. Hopefully some other member/s will chime in on it. Beyond that you can read back through this thread as the topic has been discussed many times before.

post #4436 of 4501 Old 06-07-2020, 06:55 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Sorry to hear this. Your OLED light at 86 being relatively high surely accelerated the onset of burn-in. As Kenbar mentioned, get in touch with LG. They've been replacing panels for burn-in out of warranty at no charge.
Could swear that was around the same settings others had calibrated to.

Quote:
I have read using some Facebook thread was best...but no sure as I don't have a Facebook account. Hopefully some other member/s will chime in on it. Beyond that you can read back through this thread as the topic has been discussed many times before.
Thanks

Quote:

Last edited by pbc; 06-10-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #4437 of 4501 Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could swear that was around the same settings others had calibrated to.

Thanks, seems LG Canada has a facebook page, presumably I simply "message" them there. Don't really use FB but have an account. Will have a look and see what I can find in this thread.

Has reduced a tad since I noticed it last week, but I think at this point isn't going away.
86 is rather high. My C6 olight was set around 35-42 for general viewing (48 for 3D). Brightness was set to 52. Two ways to calibrate depending on one's goal. As mine was/is an irreplaceable 3D TV, calibrating for long life span was my top priority...over prettiest picture possible. Yours being a 2D only TV, easily replaced, I might have done the same thing. Regardless, CNN is what did her in...but not CNN's fault, not your fault nor your wife's. The blame lays with reviewers ignoring, proud owners in denial...but most of all the blame lays squarely on LG for misleading consumers...

"Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified.

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability

And people continue to read this...and believe this is a safer TV/technology regarding BI. When, as you know, it's far from the truth. It's the technology most likely to suffer from BI. But the trade off is it does have the best image quality currently available. My personal feelings are...while they are the best pick for a movies only viewing machine...they are a risky choice for a family looking for a general use TV.
no1special likes this.

Last edited by Kenbar; 06-07-2020 at 03:25 PM.
post #4438 of 4501 Old 06-07-2020, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly. Most professional reviews of OLEDs do not accurately address, much less test for, burn-in, since it requires using the TV over an extended period of time. Current OLEDs may require a few thousand or more hours, cumulative, of risky burn-in prone contenet, like CNN, before the damage becomes visible. Most pro reviews don't test the TVs with thousands of hours of use. Thousands of hours means a few years or more of ownership for most people. In other words, it may take a few years or more before people who regularly display the same burn-in prone content start to see the burn-in on their TVs. With older OLEDs, like the 2016 models, it was as little as a few to several hundred hours of risky content before burn-in would show up, and that is why burn-in was being reported within a matter of months of ownership in some cases. No surprise his B6 burned in after only a couple of months of CNN at that OLED light and "nonstop" use, since ours burned in after only about 6 months of a few hours a day of MSNBC and a somewhat lower OLED light setting.

LG OLED65B6P
post #4439 of 4501 Old 06-09-2020, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
86 is rather high. My C6 olight was set around 35-42 for general viewing (48 for 3D). Brightness was set to 52. Two ways to calibrate depending on one's goal. As mine was/is an irreplaceable 3D TV, calibrating for long life span was my top priority...over prettiest picture possible. Yours being a 2D only TV, easily replaced, I might have done the same thing. Regardless, CNN is what did her in...but not CNN's fault, not your fault nor your wife's. The blame lays with reviewers ignoring, proud owners in denial...but most of all the blame lays squarely on LG for misleading consumers...

"Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified.
https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability

And people continue to read this...and believe this is a safer TV/technology regarding BI. When, as you know, it's far from the truth. It's the technology most likely to suffer from BI. But the trade off is it does have the best image quality currently available. My personal feelings are...while they are the best pick for a movies only viewing machine...they are a risky choice for a family looking for a general use TV.
What they ought to do is simply block CNN and MSNBC from being watchable/tuneable on the TVs and then BI will never happen. And you get the added "benefit" of not having to watch that stuff.

I think OLED can be a fine choice as a main TV but yes you have to avoid using it as a news ticker monitor all day. That’s a waste of killer PQ anyways, isn’t it? Tons of people watch sports and all kinds of programming and have for years on our OLEDs. No problem. I just don’t think this is that hard. But that’s just me.
JD23 and Kenbar like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #4440 of 4501 Old 06-09-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
What they ought to do is simply block CNN and MSNBC from being watchable/tuneable on the TVs and then BI will never happen. And you get the added "benefit" of not having to watch that stuff.

I think OLED can be a fine choice as a main TV but yes you have to avoid using it as a news ticker monitor all day. That’s a waste of killer PQ anyways, isn’t it? Tons of people watch sports and all kinds of programming and have for years on our OLEDs. No problem. I just don’t think this is that hard. But that’s just me.
My solution for a family is buy two TV's. An Oled for movie watching and a cheapo LCD for general carefree viewing.
Zerox_no1 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
blacks , burn in , burn-in , cnbc , lg oled , lg tv , lg-tv , oled , oled burn-in , plasma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page