AVS Forum banner

Master OLED image retention/ burn-in thread:with photos

897K views 5K replies 718 participants last post by  stickyresin 
#1 ·
I have heard some OLED TV owners complain of screen burn after only 5 minutes of a static image being on screen. Is this true?

#2 ·
I watched the entire Super Bowl on my old B6, which has the static scoreboard, without even the slightest hint of visible image retention after the game.

I also played some Destiny on it without any visible IR of the HUD afterwards.

I had no issues with IR on my OLED.

Reactions: AlanAbby and bzbx
#13 ·
A complete non-issue unless you run in store mode with the same image on it 24/7. There might be some slight IR after watching something that's static for a while, but it goes away after a couple minutes at most. I've done a lot of gaming with static images on my 65B6P and IR hasn't been an issue so burn in shouldn't be a problem for people.

#2,169 · (Edited)
I had burn in on my 55E6P, but could only see it with a red screen,
The burn in was from My THR22 TiVo.
I could make out "Now Playing List" across the top, and in the lower right corner I could see a circle with a \ diagonal slash bar which was the audio mute icon. Don't know why the mute icon would burn it as it walks across the screen.
All of these only showed up with a red screen, any other color no sign of them.
With normal TV watching, no sign of any discoloration in the area of the picture that had the issues.
Got a great deal at Fry's for an 55E7p that I couldn't pass up, so grabbed it and gave my E6 to a friend.
Don't play 3D on the LG, just on my Sony 885es, so no great loss.

#15 ·
i have oled 9300 with 10,000 hours
the screen is connected to computer Via HDMI

burning was once in my oled and it worked out and disappeared.

the problem of OLED image sharpness is not good, Figures that are in medium or far distance distorted
in light of a bad algorithm

the screen after 5000 hours becomes a bit darker

the big problem after 6000 hours should activate the screen "sharpness "
from 5-10 to 40

Upscale in lg is bad in 1080P AND 4K
especially worse in 4K ( 480P or 720P no so good )

#17 ·
Just going to say, if people are happy with what they own there's no need for needlessly putting down other owners.
Don't think anything else needs to be said.

To the original question about Burn-In, there are plenty of owner's opinion in here that have given opinion that Burn-In isn't an issue. We have one former owner that says they returned for burn-in. We don't know what the useage case of the previous owner was, nor are able to verify if it was a true case of burn in or bad IR.

Goes back to what all current owners are saying, for almost all useage cases you don't need to worry about Burn-In.
There probably isn't much more that needs to be discussed, unless OP comes back and says he wants to use the OLED as a picture display or something.

If you are absolutely Burn-In/IR phobic or something, the Z9 is definitely a comparative set and should be better in the IR department being an LCD. However, cost of entry is ~$1500-2000 more.

#18 ·
Thread rollback/thread bans issued. If your post was deleted I apologize as it might contain quotes from other deleted posts.

Reactions: PaulDuBious
#28 · (Edited)
Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! Image retention and permanent screen burn in are real issues with these displays! Any static images period can burn into these displays and very quickly especially with many of the LG presets and anything in HDR mode. The fact they don't cover screen burn in their warranty is an omission in and of itself that this problem exists. I have seen numerous Oled display models with image retention first hand and also Oled is unique in the fact that IR doesn't necessarily affect a white screen like plasma used to, numerous youtube videos have it is only visible with certain colors being displayed on the screen as in blues, greens or in my case reds (also yellow, brown, orange, fleshtones) as the aspect ratio and sound out icon from their menu system are burned into my 65C6P screen.

LG's customer service thus far has been extremely poor and I am being more than kind in that statement. I will be posting pictures shortly.

Question how do I post pics from my personal computer? The insert image icon is asking for a URL? My photos are not available on a website. There used to be a paperclip icon to attach files from a PC.

#29 · (Edited)
Red Maroon Orange Rectangle Material property

Red Black Orange Maroon Pink

Red Black Maroon Orange Pink

These are a 2nd set of photos sent to LG after they requested a set. The rep I talked to opened them and stated all she could see was a red screen with the IR from the icons invisible to her. She stated her manager looked at the photos as well and so no IR. I then asked for the name of the manger first and then to speak to the manager. She could neither give me the name of the manager and then changed the story to the fact that the manager never saw the photos. This was the 3rd representative I talked claiming to have no visibility of the beyond distinct menu icons.

#1,773 ·
View attachment 2089833

View attachment 2089809

View attachment 2089817

These are a 2nd set of photos sent to LG after they requested a set. The rep I talked to opened them and stated all she could see was a red screen with the IR from the icons invisible to her. She stated her manager looked at the photos as well and so no IR. I then asked for the name of the manger first and then to speak to the manager. She could neither give me the name of the manager and then changed the story to the fact that the manager never saw the photos. This was the 3rd representative I talked claiming to have no visibility of the beyond distinct menu icons.
Lol...self destructing TV! It's own menu done her in. LG does not cover BI either way. Sad to say. Buyer beware...that's their rule. If you had read this thread maybe you could have lowered the brightness levels...and color levels down and maybe avoided the BI. A small claims lawsuit might be the ticket here...perhaps more so as it's their own menu burned in. Don't know.

#35 · (Edited)
Turn on the menu icon on your display and tell me how long it stays on the screen before vanishing? On mine it is 124 seconds before it disappears! Stating it is an impossibility for the menu to display for any extended amount of time whatsoever. It would be impossible to fall asleep and wake up 12 hours later with the menu still up. I am a prior plasma owner so yes screen shift was and clear panel noise has been used numerous times. I spent a week trying to get rid of it prior even contacting LG using the Disney WOW pixel flipper and clear panel noise on numerous occasions. Unlike plasma where running the Pixel flipper or screen wipe in torch mode would at least lighten the burn in this doesn't seem to have any affect here. YouTube has numerous fantastic dead pixel, screen burn videos that go upward of 12 hours but after trying I am simply putting hours on the set which is foolish.

Lastly panel variation is going to be a big factor. Panasonic VT series (which I owned, the bright white Oppo logo from my BDP-103 burned in very quickly after buying the set) and ZT60's were very prone to image retention and burn in while the ST and S series were not. Also this is only visible on a red screen (yellow, orange, brown and fleshtones). It is not visible on a white screen, blue screen or a green screen. Also the only menu icons showing the severe IR are the aspect ratio and sound out. The safety (purple), sleep timer (green) and picture mode (blue) icons are not showing IR at all which is bizarre since everything should show the severe IR equally. I first noticed this with content and then putting up the Disney red slide. Using the red color filter has the same effect on a white slide.

#31 ·
These are the 1st set of attachments sent in and I spoke to 2 sets of representatives. Neither stated they could see anything more than a red screen. My patience wears a little thin when someone is lying straight to my face. Unless the 3 reps I talked to are either color blind or all severely need an eye exam and a set of glasses.

Attachments

#55 ·
These are the 1st set of attachments sent in and I spoke to 2 sets of representatives. Neither stated they could see anything more than a red screen.
If they're looking at the photos on a typical PC LCD screen, then I'm not surprised.

Perhaps you'd have better luck with a gamma-adjusted photo? I reduced the gamma to 30% on the attached photo, and it's really easy to see now.

Attachments

#39 · (Edited)
The advise I got was put the display into store mode which I did as it refreshes the settings every few minutes. I did this and put the display into torch mode (Vivid) and played 12 hours of dead pixel screen burn RGB flash videos. These videos are nice because they will generally go from one dead pixel video to the next so little risk of it getting stuck on a static display of youtube videos.

Now in dealing with LG The 1st representative I talked to named Kyle stated "these displays are prone to burn in" verbatim and this was an out of warranty issue. Talking to Danny an LG Rep who sets up the wall displays at Best Buy stationed out of Indianapolis was very aware of the burn in issue as well and had seen it on numerous occasions with the BB displays. He was very professional unlike what I had dealt with before and was lucky enough to run into him as a fluke in my local store. He simply stated this should never ever be an issue you have to deal with and under no circumstances should the menu system ever show severe IR on the display. I also have always used the LG presets being ISF modes and HDR Bright with dynamic contrast turned down. Granted HDR Bright probably being the most dangerous with Oled light and contrast at 100, medium color temp which is the brightest and wide color gamut, but if those settings are prone to severe IR they shouldn't be presets from the factory. I also am stating if it was anything but the menu icons showed extreme IR I would take the hit. Any of the settings or presets within the LG TV is on the company.

Now off to a service center to diagnose at my expense and see if LG steps up to the plate and does the right thing concerning the repair that is well within the 1 year warranty.

#42 ·
^Exactly, what happens in the store is inconsequential. Until they load a forced comp. cycle at startup while in store mode, it's going to keep happening.

As for Pro-630hd's issue, that is certainly a freak occurrence. You're going to get me pulling out my color slides now looking for more than just pixel defects. :)

#48 ·
Pretty sure Pro has the C6, and it looks like Michael has the E6. It proves that burn-in certainly can still happen...I think I've heard 3 instances of it happening on the 2016 models in people's homes now, with one of them getting a free screen replacement. Pro is entitled to the same treatment at the very least. There is no way that menu should so easily cause such an imprint.

#57 · (Edited)
I suspect a defect like this is more likely to happen during manufacturing and very few sets would slip by without it working. And so not too likely to become a problem or this would be cropping up more as presumably people are starting to wrack up some decent hours on the the earlier OLED sets. It is true that eventually the comp (and anti-aging) circuitry will eventually no longer work and the panel will slowly degrade after that having reached its end of life, if at that point burn in becomes a problem then rather than slowly degrade it may abruptly degrade, however the anti-burn in measures may continue to work for a while. Hopefully none of this will occur until the sets reach at least 50,000 hours and more hopefully the 100,000 LG claims.

Edit:
I've found this a good starting point discussion (technical) for trying to figure out what is going on during the compensation cycles it kind of picks up in the middle of the patent process along these lines but summarizes earlier efforts:
https://www.google.com/patents/US6995519

#56 ·
Its not true on my 65"B6. I have 500 plus hours on the set and image retention has never been an issue let alone burn-in.

I used to own a Samsung f8500 Plasma and that tv had image retention issues for me. I constantly had to baby the screen and minimize the on screen time of tickers, logos, black movie bars, etc. and that was with 600 hours on the tv. It had a nice picture but I was always worried about ruining the screen. So when I took the leap to OLED Image retention was a concern for me too. I have had the B6 for 1.5 years less time than i had the f8500 and the B6 is now approaching the same hours as i had on the f8500! That is because I know I can watch the B6 and not worry about what I am watching and just enjoy the beautiful picture these OLED's have. I am so happy Image retention/burn-in is a non issue for me.