OLED Overhype? Are these forums only good for the enthusiasts? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #121 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBramble View Post
Oh man -- I am playing through this right now, the expansions to be exact, on my OLED @4k60hz and it's pretty mind-blowing. Definitely try this game out if you decide to test drive the game. Another recommendation, provided you have a PS4, is Horizon Zero Dawn.
Uncharted 4 had my Jaw dropping in HDR.
SinGA likes this.

OLED is a game changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
In a big, bright show-room, TV's that get brighter look more vibrant and colorful than not-as-bright one's.
This is true, but it can go even further than this.

Best Buy environments are likely pretty similar, with the same kinds of overhead lights and even angles for those lights that have some commonality. A manufacturer can go into Best Buy and then design their TVs to that environment, not just in how bright the displays go, but even with their filters for blocking ambient light.

When I've seen the Samsungs at Best Buy it has been with a wall of white light behind them. This makes it close to impossible to judge the contrast ratios of the displays. I'm most definitely not going to put up a wall of bright backlighting. IMO, one of the great things about OLED is that I don't have to add backlighting behind the display. I'm guessing many people with Kuro's feel the same way. They could have just bought an LCD of the time and put bright lights behind it so the gray blacks would appear black.

--Darin
post #123 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
You would be better off waiting, period, regardless of the Sony 77" OLED, or not.

It seems gaming is a huge part of what the TV will be displaying. You should probably wait for a 2018 set that has HDMI 2.1, so you can take advantage of variable refresh rates (gsync and freesync) as well as 4K 120hz.

There are other benefits of HDMI 2.1 as well, but these are more gamer focused.
You might be right , especially since I have a 9k leak I need to have repaired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieStation View Post
Please don't let this thread discourage you from the forum or OLED technology, Keithian.

I can sort of relate to you viewing these TVs in the stores...but I wasn't sure what type of setting you were viewing the OLEDs at your Best Buy. I remember the first time I viewed the LG OLEDs in a nice and cozily lit Magnolia room, without the typical big store ceiling lights -- there was not one other TV that could compete with its picture!

Here are some pictures I took recently when I viewed the LG W7 in my local Best Buy's Magnolia a couple weeks back. They had this front and center near the entrance of the Magnolia section of the Best Buy store, so it was still semi-competing with the store's glaring ceiling lights nearby (which you can see in the glass reflection they use to wall mount it):

Outside the nicely lit Magnolia section, Best Buy stores tend to have these big and glaring ceiling lights, and the OLEDs may look dim next to the LCDs, but people's homes aren't usually that bright.

These are not my pictures, but just giving you an example as to what I mean:

Definitely do take a few more trips and try seeing these OLEDs in different environments (try to find something that best matches your home lighting), and also ask if you can adjust the settings via the remote to see if you can get the picture to your liking (just in case... you never know if a Samsung rep was in there sabotaging all the OLED settings ).

Thank you for the reply. Don't worry, I'm not discouraged . This thread helped me realize I need more trips under different circumstances. In the BB I went to, the Sony and Samsung were hanging on a back wall. At the L of that wall and about 10 feet away from the Samsung, the OLEDs were displayed . They were a bit lower and yes, it's very possible the lighting was different. All in all I think I achieved the intent of my original post even if I probably should have titled it and worded it a bit differently ...though can't see any of my friends or family being able to put up with the nature of these forums and I think it really is more for enthusiasts. For me, I like a little controversy sometimes to get to different opinions
post #125 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
You would be better off waiting, period, regardless of the Sony 77" OLED, or not.

It seems gaming is a huge part of what the TV will be displaying. You should probably wait for a 2018 set that has HDMI 2.1, so you can take advantage of variable refresh rates (gsync and freesync) as well as 4K 120hz.

There are other benefits of HDMI 2.1 as well, but these are more gamer focused.
You might be right , especially since I have a 9k leak I need to have repaired
Agreed. That's why I bought the p65 to hold me over until HDMI 2.1 becomes prevalent. Move the P to another room and upgrade 2018 and or 19
post #126 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Because you are watching standard dynamic range content on the only LCD that has won a TV shootout against plasmas.

This new generation displays are much more brighter and High dynamic range content sets the display to the highest light output making Halos and blooming difficult to hide.

I think that you are going to be disappointed with an edge lit like the Samsung Q ,it will bloom like crazy with HDR.

I only recommend the Samsung Q for bright environments. Just imagine few zones at the side at over 1,000 nits.

The best choices are Oled or Z9. Anything outs won't perform to this level.
Thank you for your opinion. I'm starting to wonder as someone who sleeps in total darkness with black out shades whether what I consider bright is the same as the next person lol. I have a lot of ambient light with 5 windows, but no direct sunlight as my living room is surrounded by a row of trees which fortunately keep the roomer cooler in the summer . That is why some folks here have given me good advice to test much more, as the Best Buy isn't like the conditions in my room. In fact my room has no white lights, they are more the yellow type with dimmers which I always have no more than around 75% to conserve electricity and I just don't like super bright light at night
post #127 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
If the gist of the OP's post is that brighter LED TV's look better than OLED TV's to non-enthusiasts regardless of the actual PQ - then yes, there's a lot of truth to that sentiment. In a big, bright show-room, TV's that get brighter look more vibrant and colorful than not-as-bright one's. But once you bring these TV's home, that's when the bright TV's lose their advantage, and then instead of noticing how bright they can get (which you're unlikely to use at max brightness anyways), you will be noticing how blacks don't look as black as they did in the showroom and the contrast doesn't quite have the same "wow-factor" of the OLED.

Really, it comes down to the viewing environment. Ideally you should be watching movies or shows in a room that's not particularly bright, and that's when the OLED shines compared to competitors. But if you don't find yourself fortunate enough to have said viewing environment, brighter LED TVs can certainly look better because it will be quite a bit more difficult to appreciate the primary strength of the OLED.
Totally right.

When I was a beginner in TV, my first 4k TV, the Sony X850D looked magnificent in Best Buy. No light bleed, no IPS glow, super great black. I spend almost 3 hours in the store looking at it and playing HDR demo, etc. I was convinced that it was the best TV for me and my budget.

Than, I bought it!

Hell started...

It was so crappy in a normal low light room, I was shocked​. I suffered for 4 months, decided to sell it at a loss and than bought my OLED.

Anyway viewing condition is important and store is probably the worse place to make an opinion, unless they have special dark room.
post #128 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thank you, thats helpful. Do we know when the rest of the review will be posted? I'm not saying that I didn't recognize in the store how clear the OLED picture was...it looked amazing clear...and yes...as I stated the viewing angles were also amazing...its just that none of that mattered to the 3 of us. The only thing that is bothering me is that I have no idea yet how I'm to test OLED versus QLED at night in my conditions to see if Deep Blacks even matters to me. I never once thought on my Plasma for the last several years that I wish my blacks were better. All I wanted was a sharper picture so I didn't feel like I was missing much from my great gaming monitor that I wouldn't be leveraging anymore. When I saw how bright and sharp the QLED was,well...we were just blown away by it and we weren't by the OLEDs. Regardless, as I've stated in a couple of posts in this thread....they have convinced me to go back to a few more stores and see if I can force other conditions to see if my eyes see something different and more in line with what the forum people salivating over OLED that are posting here are seeing....if they are seeing them at all.
My OLED55E6P didn't look as good to me at home as it did in the store... initially. That was because they were playing some ridiculously high quality clips, and I was using my verizon FiOS connection, and they compress to an absurd amount, it seems. But then, I downloaded some higher quality videos, and I streamed some 4k content. I will tell you that I will NEVER go back to LCD/LED TVs. The black/colors on my new OLED are just so much better that it lets you see so much more detail in the shows, even in compressed FiOS video, and even in a copy of Ladyhawke I had, a 1985 movie that I tried out last night... I was realizing just how much more detail I was seeing on the thing floating towards the guy in the sewer, when he was freaking thinking it was some sewer monster or something.

If you can afford it, go with the OLED, if not and if being able to see details in gradients of dark greys and blacks, or in dark movies etc. doesn't matter to you that much, go with what you feel comfortable buying.
post #129 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 465
As I mentioned before, I recommend you wait till 2018 and get set with HDMI 2.1, since the release is only about 10 months away most likely. I'm also not one that believes brightness trumps all, as I have an OLED, and previously owned a Panasonic plasma and BenQ projector before that. Never owned an LCD TV. Only monitors. Having said that, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that there is some importance to brightness.

Having a TV capable of eye searing brightness is beneficial for HDR, but that's obvious. The other thing that having a bright TV allows is the use of Black Frame Insertion (BFI) for better motion. BFI tends to cut brightness down by 35-50%, so if you are starting with something like a Z9 that can do ~1900 nits, you could apply BFI and still be around 1000 nits. Just throwing it out there that even if you have a setup in a cave, having 2000 nits isn't necessarily a waste if you use BFI.

I doubt a 77" OLED will be under $10k by next year. If the 940 series improves next year as much as it did this year, a 940F would be a great buy for 75" in 2018. Or possibly a Z9E, if Sony continues the line.

They both have their merits. I couldn't justify getting a 65" Z9 at $6k when I could get my E6P at $3k. I can't justify recommending a 77" OLED over a 75" Z9D or 940E either at a similar price premium, so as much as I love emmissive and OLED blacks, I'd recommend an LCD to anyone looking to buy bigger than 65". Especially when those LCDs (Z9D and 940E) are some of the best displays ever made, regardless of technology.

post #130 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think you touched on it earlier, that you weren't aware of any "defects" on your previous set. For me that is a huge issue and something I consider when buying any new set. I cannot comment on the build construction of the QLED but at the end of the day it is still edge lit and still prone to edge lit problems. Even the best edge lit is not going to hold up against FALD (the Sony) and I cant imagine any FALD holding up against an OLED in terms of black or grey uniformity. I personally would not even have to see these sets in person to know just based on the technologies that my order of choices would be:

2016 LG Oled (because 3d is personally more important to me than any brightness gains in the 2017's...also it would fit your budget)
The Sony Z9 (because FALD is better than edge lit and still has 3D and Dolby Vision)
The Samsung QLED because I will never fully trust edge lit technology and it is extremely overpriced for being an edge lit set. Companies use edge lit technology as a means to save money. There is no way that the other features of this set can justify Samsung cutting costs in its panel and still charging the most. There just isnt enough fluff out there that you could even cram in to say "well we used edge lit technology to bring the cost down so we could give you all this instead"...there is no "all this" really in this case. I cannot comment on the brightness you perceived or why you perceived it. Plenty of people including yourself have already suggested that the lighting could have had something to do with that but what I can assure you, even if the other two were brighter, they are all bright enough for what you would probably want. Its kind of like if you are buying speakers and all of them are loud but a couple sets get a few decibels louder, but its past a decibel point you would ever play them at would it really matter that those ones get louder? I think you should make a list of whats most important to you in order and work from there. It might turn out that the benefits of OLED are things that do not matter much to you and you eliminate that from the equation but I could just never see a situation where I would put an edge lit over a FALD that is actually cheaper.
post #131 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Totally right.

When I was a beginner in TV, my first 4k TV, the Sony X850D looked magnificent in Best Buy. No light bleed, no IPS glow, super great black. I spend almost 3 hours in the store looking at it and playing HDR demo, etc. I was convinced that it was the best TV for me and my budget.

Than, I bought it!

Hell started...

It was so crappy in a normal low light room, I was shocked​. I suffered for 4 months, decided to sell it at a loss and than bought my OLED.

Anyway viewing condition is important and store is probably the worse place to make an opinion, unless they have special dark room.

No need a completly dark room to see backlight artifacts. Even with some ambient light is visible .The blooming on my previous JS9500 was visible even on bright conditions. If I was looking for an LCD, I could only pick the Z9 ,any other lcd will not perform to that level specially with HDR.
10k and paranoyd androyd like this.
post #132 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
No need a completly dark room to see backlight artifacts. Even with some ambient light is visible .The blooming on my previous JS9500 was visible even on bright conditions. If was looking for an LCD, I could only pick the Z9 ,any other lcd will not perform to that level specially with HDR.
I tend to agree, but Q9 also needs more comprehensive technical reviews before it can be written off.
post #133 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
I think you touched on it earlier, that you weren't aware of any "defects" on your previous set. For me that is a huge issue and something I consider when buying any new set. I cannot comment on the build construction of the QLED but at the end of the day it is still edge lit and still prone to edge lit problems. Even the best edge lit is not going to hold up against FALD (the Sony) and I cant imagine any FALD holding up against an OLED in terms of black or grey uniformity. I personally would not even have to see these sets in person to know just based on the technologies that my order of choices would be:

2016 LG Oled (because 3d is personally more important to me than any brightness gains in the 2017's...also it would fit your budget)
The Sony Z9 (because FALD is better than edge lit and still has 3D and Dolby Vision)
The Samsung QLED because I will never fully trust edge lit technology and it is extremely overpriced for being an edge lit set. Companies use edge lit technology as a means to save money. There is no way that the other features of this set can justify Samsung cutting costs in its panel and still charging the most. There just isnt enough fluff out there that you could even cram in to say "well we used edge lit technology to bring the cost down so we could give you all this instead"...there is no "all this" really in this case. I cannot comment on the brightness you perceived or why you perceived it. Plenty of people including yourself have already suggested that the lighting could have had something to do with that but what I can assure you, even if the other two were brighter, they are all bright enough for what you would probably want. Its kind of like if you are buying speakers and all of them are loud but a couple sets get a few decibels louder, but its past a decibel point you would ever play them at would it really matter that those ones get louder? I think you should make a list of whats most important to you in order and work from there. It might turn out that the benefits of OLED are things that do not matter much to you and you eliminate that from the equation but I could just never see a situation where I would put an edge lit over a FALD that is actually cheaper.
OLEDs have their own issues with uniformity in above black (gray). I was blessed with a stellar (relatively) E6P panel. Others haven't been as lucky with banding, vignetting, and splotches. LCD has historically had issues with gray uniformity, but there are some LCDs that perform extremely well in this regard, also.

I wouldn't unilaterally say that an OLED is going to look more uniform than an LCD, whether that be gray, white, red, etc (black obviously, the best an LCD can do is tie it in uniformity). All technologies are victims of panel lottery, unfortunately.
UnfoldingSquid likes this.

post #134 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, there is no way I could go back to 1080p at 75" and above even if there was 0 input lag. People here are saying the Sony and OLEDs have good input lag and reponse times so I need to get to those numbers. Since I don't play action FPS games, I'd be fine in the range of about 15ms-30ish response times.
For your info, I already said in my first reply that the lg 2017 oleds are 21ms input lag in 4k and 1080p in game mode or pc mode.

As for the A1E, the input lag is 30ms in 4k game mode and 47ms in 1080p game mode. But the A1E has a BFI mode to reduce motion blur but it flickers at 60hz so it's better at removing motion blur with 60 fps sources (like gaming) but some people see the flickering and some don't. If you see it I guess the mode is not useful to you.

Im debating between the c7 and a1e like crazy right now!
post #135 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Very true but my original response had zero malice intentions. Americans are attracted to bright shiny objects. Been there done that myself many times before I educated my self here and on other forums so many years ago. How someone can interpret that as being condescending is perplexing to me.
You observed yourself that you've explained the same thing to your clients and none of them acted like you were insulting their intelligence.

You know what's different?

Tone of voice, body language, reputation, professional respect, etc, etc.

We've met when you calibrated my TV and I've also seen you on the Value TV shootout videos, so I know how you sound, and when I read one of your posts I hear it in your voice and with your matter-of-fact style.

IMO, you said nothing wrong, but that's never stopped someone from taking a cold-hard truth the wrong way.

But back to Keithly for a moment...

When someone posts a new thread on an enthusiast forum asking if the thing many of them enjoy is over-hyped and only good for enthusiasts ... hey ... they're trolling.

When said person then starts acting defensive and starts calling out people who defend that thing ... hey ... they're trolling.

There's a chance it wasn't intentional just as there's a chance that Keithly was just trolling and not shilling.

That this community would give him the benefit of the doubt says a lot about the community and the joy we all take discussing our hobby; but a simple "Then go buy a an LCD and stop bothering us" followed by a thread-lock would have been the proper response.
post #136 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 3533

could we move on beyond the personal discussions please?

discuss the hardware, not other members

thanks

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #137 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 174
My personal experience going from a FALD LCD to OLED, was at first disappointing. One thing one needs to know, is that the OLED needs about 100 to 200 hours to settle down. Source also make a difference, with 4K OLED. If you are looking for a WoW factor with 1080 or 720 it's not going to happen, you need 4K Source. Like a fine wine, OLED get better with time.
aypues likes this.
post #138 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
My personal experience going from a FALD LCD to OLED, was at first disappointing. One thing one needs to know, is that the OLED needs about 100 to 200 hours to settle down. Source also make a difference, with 4K OLED. If you are looking for a WoW factor with 1080 or 720 it's not going to happen, you need 4K Source. Like a fine wine, OLED get better with time.
I agree - time and some careful tweaking using the techniques in this forum will really help you get your OLED dialed in. I have excellent shadow detail now, obviously great blacks, and motion is decent IMO. I really cant ask for more. Everything in my library Ive watched has never looked better. I think any f these modern high-end TVs(LCDs included) look dodgy with weak source material. They also look stupendously awesome with proper source material and thats what we bought them for!
SinGA likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #139 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Here you go:
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e

The LG C7 Video review is up too. Apparently the new C7 can to 1080p at 120Hz, and has a 21 ms input lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYk9qg3rd_c
Thanks for the link. The input lag though is a bummer, unless the game is suitable for 4k, which then isn't that bad. Maybe it will get a firmware update to improve things. I think I read that was the case with LG. The C7 is too small
post #140 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I agree - time and some careful tweaking using the techniques in this forum will really help you get your OLED dialed in. I have excellent shadow detail now, obviously great blacks, and motion is decent IMO. I really cant ask for more. Everything in my library Ive watched has never looked better. I think any f these modern high-end TVs(LCDs included) look dodgy with weak source material. They also look stupendously awesome with proper source material and thats what we bought them for!
I thought these TVs upscale 1080P and 720P content. Even if they aren't as stunning as the sources you bought it for, wouldn't that make them a whole lot better than my Elite from years ago? Or are my expectations for that upscaling too high?
post #141 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
All 4K TVs upscale, that is correct. Pristine 1080p sources look fantastic (720p are passable), and 100 to 200 hours won't necessarily clear near black uniformity (banding/vignette/inverse vignette) problems that can show up in content. I'm approaching 1200 hours on a 77" and can still see these anomalies. For the price, seeing them even 1% of the time is too much, but that is unfortunately not a realistic expectation.

Last edited by video_analysis; 05-09-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #142 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
For your info, I already said in my first reply that the lg 2017 oleds are 21ms input lag in 4k and 1080p in game mode or pc mode.

As for the A1E, the input lag is 30ms in 4k game mode and 47ms in 1080p game mode. But the A1E has a BFI mode to reduce motion blur but it flickers at 60hz so it's better at removing motion blur with 60 fps sources (like gaming) but some people see the flickering and some don't. If you see it I guess the mode is not useful to you.

Im debating between the c7 and a1e like crazy right now!
Thanks , sorry, I'm sitting on a plane right now on my phone trying to respond to everyone and I'm on a bit of information overload as I respond out of order lol.i have a funny feeling when I try all these TVs at different stores including darker conditions, I'm going to want a 77" Sony A1 or an LG G6 and then decide if I'd be better off waiting to the end of the year or next year knowing if I buy now I'm making some sacrifices. I'll only consider it if I can get these prices down to 12-13k .
post #143 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
All 4K TVs upscale, that is correct. Pristine 1080p sources look fantastic (720p are passable), and 100 to 200 hours won't necessarily clear near black uniformity (banding/vignette/inverse vignette) problems that can show up in content. I'm approaching 1200 hours on a 77" and can still see these anomalies. For the price, seeing them even 1% of the time is too much for the price, but that is unfortunately not a realistic expectation.
Thank you. I do find that my DirectTV signal is worlds better than my Time Warner /Spectrum cable signal I had last year. I may have to do what someone suggested and get a smaller size just to try an OLED at Costco .
post #144 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks , sorry, I'm sitting on a plane right now on my phone trying to respond to everyone and I'm on a bit of information overload as I respond out of order lol.i have a funny feeling when I try all these TVs at different stores including darker conditions, I'm going to want a 77" Sony A1 or an LG G6 and then decide if I'd be better off waiting to the end of the year or next year knowing if I buy now I'm making some sacrifices. I'll only consider it if I can get these prices down to 12-13k .
You'll probably catch those prices in the new year for sure. I would hold out.

OLED is a game changer.
post #145 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
All 4K TVs upscale, that is correct. Pristine 1080p sources look fantastic (720p are passable), and 100 to 200 hours won't necessarily clear near black uniformity (banding/vignette/inverse vignette) problems that can show up in content. I'm approaching 1200 hours on a 77" and can still see these anomalies. For the price, seeing them even 1% of the time is too much for the price, but that is unfortunately not a realistic expectation.
I agree 1080P content upscaled on these looks amazing.
I think the 77" size has a lot to do with those issues as well.

OLED is a game changer.
post #146 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 491
It's over hyped and priced to me since i am fine with my 60vt60. I will give the tech a few more years to get better and cheaper. I waited out plasma until i got a G9 Kuro so that was a almost 10 year wait.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #147 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Thank you for that very detailed and thoughtful response . To be honest, I have no idea how much black levels and contrast are important to me because I don't have enough personal experience in different conditions to form a judgement. I only have my Elite TV and one stop at a Best Buy which apparently suckered me into drawing conclusions prematurely lol. I do feel that for viewing angle, that is not critical to me. 99% of the time, I am either directly in front of the TV or only about 2-4 feet over in either direction. What I want is good gaming response times, a stunning picture in all lighting conditions, maybe a little less glare then my Elite had, 75" or greater, and a price of under 13k... and as you alluded to I need to do more research in a variety of conditions and settings to figure out what that means to me. Thanks again.
No worries.

Most important thing, don't feel like you have to force any purchase. Personally, having the 70" Elite myself, I couldn't justify anything as a true upgrade unless it was noticeably larger and OLED/emissive. And it would have to support Dolby Vision, since original DV masterings are about to hit shelves. I'd want to at least be future proofed as much as possible with HDR formats.

Waiting until a 77" OLED is in your budget would be the wisest choice IMO, as it would deliver the best PQ and satisfaction over the long-term. For now, at least you realize you're not willing to go less than 75". No matter what you read, see in person, or a salesman might try convincing you about, don't give up your size requirement! And as others mentioned, for gaming bandwidth and resolution settings, the HDMI 2.1 spec might also be worth the wait for you.

However, if you eventually decide you must buy now and really want to keep things under $10K for example, I would not veer from the 75" Z9D or 940E models if you decide that an LCD is still fine for you.

Remember, there's at least 5 better FALD LCD options at 75" before the edge-lit Q9 which doesn't support Dolby Vision (no Samsung LCDs do for that matter). So even if push comes to shove and you decide you'll just get a cheap 75" LCD as a holdover for a couple years until larger OLEDs dip below $10K, even the Vizio P75 would give you Dolby Vision and a solid enough FALD implementation for your needs. So take your time and weigh your options, you still have one of the best 1080p FALD sets in the 70" Elite.
post #148 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
IMO, one of the great things about OLED is that I don't have to add backlighting behind the display. I'm guessing many people with Kuro's feel the same way. They could have just bought an LCD of the time and put bright lights behind it so the gray blacks would appear black.

--Darin
Is that why people put backlights behind their TV's, to increase perceived contrast? Personally I'm looking forward to painting my wall dark grey, the last thing I'd do is light it up.

Another OLED owner here with nothing but good things to say about them. Perfect? No, but they are getting close. My only wish is that the bigger OLED displays (over 65") come down in price in a few years when I'm ready to go bigger.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Denon X4300H + Outlaw 2200 (Center)
Klipsch RP-250F, RP-450C - Dual PB-1000 Subs - Onkyo Satellites
post #149 of 271 Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
I thought these TVs upscale 1080P and 720P content. Even if they aren't as stunning as the sources you bought it for, wouldn't that make them a whole lot better than my Elite from years ago? Or are my expectations for that upscaling too high?
Im probably overstating things. They do a great job with all content. Now, if you are sending the TV a weak signal with mcro-blocking and compression then things might look a little dodgy.

The upscaling capabilities of my OLED are very, very good.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #150 of 271 Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Im probably overstating things. They do a great job with all content. Now, if you are sending the TV a weak signal with mcro-blocking and compression then things might look a little dodgy.

The upscaling capabilities of my OLED are very, very good.
I agree with this statement the upscaling on these units provided your content isn't garbage is amazing, even with 720P MKV content it looks amazing on these OLED sets.

OLED is a game changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page