Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD Owners Only Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28419Likes

post #4471 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
LOL. LOL is the nicest thing I can say, and you claiming to be a serious videophile is more of a joke than you bragging about audioquest cables in your sig. That's all I am going to say on this subject because this isnt a cable thread.
I agreed with the Vodka cable post, from experience in the matter..

2 people agree on the ability to see something... theres much more impressive gear in my sig than Audioquest cables.. enjoy your A1E.
All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if it?s to spec it,s the spec. I?ve always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor of speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldn?t do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference a $450 10% silver cable can make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the need to pass judgment on that, it?s asinine. If you don?t believe me, Just go buy the cable try, it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before it?s charged. However be prepared there will be a difference, a very noticeable difference.

Sony XBR65A1E | Sony XBR75X940D | Fujitsu AVIAMO P65FT00AUB

Last edited by PlatinumSV; 03-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
My clicking A1E seems to have stopped at least for now. Really weird. I cut the power to it and let it sit for a good thirty minutes. The clicking came back, but this time it took fifteen minutes or so to click instead of six. Then I watched it for an hour and it seems like it’s gone. Hopefully...
Reading your posts was thinking that I've been lucky with my set, haven't had any issues, then a few minutes ago it suddenly rebooted. Hopefully just an Android TV quirk and nothing more serious.

Sony 65A1E
post #4473 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnk21 View Post
Any word on this auto dimming issue added in the last update? I'd love to know if anyone has gotten any info from Sony? Doesn't seem right that they should be allowed to add a "feature" that negatively affects the picture we've all be used to having, that we all paid for.
I'd really like to know this as well. This is a maddening issue and quite frankly, I'm angry that I've paid $3500 for a television that dims whenever it wants to. Yes, I'm an owner of the 65" A1E but can't find where to put it on my sig. If anyone has had any success in fixing what Sony apparently broke with the DV update, please share.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4474 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
Quote:
Quote:
LOL. LOL is the nicest thing I can say, and you claiming to be a serious videophile is more of a joke than you bragging about audioquest cables in your sig. That's all I am going to say on this subject because this isnt a cable thread.

2 people agree on the ability to see something... theres much more impressive gear in my sig than Audioquest cables.. enjoy your A1E.
All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if its to spec its the spec. Ive always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldnt do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference of $450 cable or make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the pass judgment on that, its asinine. If you they believe me, Just go by the cable try it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before its charged. However be prepared there will be a difference a very noticeable difference.
Thats a great point, if someone was willing to try it, its a try that can be returned if not happy with it... see it first and then offer a rebuttal.

Ive realized many of the debates were pre-HDR and 4K UHD.. and there, for 1080p stuff, sure no argument..

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even what ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

The color pop, cleaner low black level and sharper fidelity, due to cleaner data clocking from low jitter operation.

Just a suggestion for those looking to feed their A1E a gift in 2018.
DVnt likes this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 03-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.
post #4475 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if its to spec its the spec. Ive always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldnt do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference of $450 cable or make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the pass judgment on that, its asinine. If you they believe me, Just go by the cable try it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before its charged. However be prepared there will be a difference a very noticeable difference.
Thats a great point, if someone was willing to try it, its a try that can be returned if not happy with it... see it first and then offer a rebuttal.

Ive realized many of the debates were pre-HDR and 4K UHD.. and there, for 1080p stuff, sure no argument..

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

The color pop, cleaner low black level and sharper fidelity, due to cleaner data clocking from low jitter operation.

I?ve been in the business over 20 years. So I am a believer in cables but you?re right until introduction of UHDHDR never saw a difference other than reliability. There is a tremendous amount of detail, brightness, Black level, I mean the list goes on. So much so my kids even noticed it, I say kids, they?re 18 but in the least bit definitely not videophiles, lol. This TV definitely deserves a quality cable for video. I know the step up DBS versions Are great as well but to be honest and I hooked up a Diamond And so no difference. I did however hear a difference in super audio playback. So you definitely benefit going with that route in the audio field. I?m also an audio quest dealer so I?m not paying retail LOL

Sony XBR65A1E | Sony XBR75X940D | Fujitsu AVIAMO P65FT00AUB
post #4476 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I'm using 10+ year old HDMI cables on my Sony and see no probs. I have 5 DVD, UHD and BD players hooked up and all is fine. I still have the first HDMI cable i bought in 2004 for my Pioneer Elite DV59- AVI and that player is till the best i ever bought after 14 years.
frank xbe likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #4477 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
Android TV 8.0 for this set was confirmed and it should arrive this summer. Hopefully.
Thanks.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #4478 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Any links to buy one of these low jutter cables on Amazon or...
post #4479 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Question for those of you with an A1E paired with an Oppo 203 or 205.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I do not have the time to read through 150 pages of posts in this thread.

On the Oppo setup menu I was looking to set the output resolution to 4K rather than the "Auto" setting that it has by default. I noticed in the "Video Output Setting + HDR Setting" one of the options is "Target Luminance" which has a range of 50-1500 nits. For an A1E what is the ideal or recommended setting for the luminance???

Thank you!

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #4480 of 7683 Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even what ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

Well I admit I have not tried an AQ cable since 4K, so maybe it's worth another try; also they probably don't make a 25ft cable

Looks like they do!

So what about the interconnects - if I have a marantz with a vodka, do I also need AQ interconnects?

1) 7.2.4 Atmos; Marantz 8802a; Parasound A51; Parasound 1250; Oppo BDP203; AppleTV4K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Prestige 95F; ML Descent-i; Prestige 2000sw; 4x SA-ADP paradigm in walls surrounds; 4x paradigm ceilings, angled; Furman; XBR-77A1E; xfinity x1; 2) 5.1; Marantz 7702; Emotiva XPA-5; Monster Power Center; Oppo-BDP93; Apple 2K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Studio 100 v.5, CC-690, SA-ADP in-walls; Paradigm Sub 15; Panasonic ZT60 65"; Xfinity X1

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-10-2018 at 10:40 PM.
post #4481 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I do not have the time to read through 150 pages of posts in this thread.

On the Oppo setup menu I was looking to set the output resolution to 4K rather than the "Auto" setting that it has by default. I noticed in the "Video Output Setting + HDR Setting" one of the options is "Target Luminance" which has a range of 50-1500 nits. For an A1E what is the ideal or recommended setting for the luminance???

Thank you!
It's irrelevant. Set HDR to auto. The setting is only for sets that do not have HDR and Oppo converts output to HDR anyway.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
post #4482 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Do you have a line filter running to it? Power conditioner?
No I don’t. Something to think about I guess.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #4483 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Reading your posts was thinking that I've been lucky with my set, haven't had any issues, then a few minutes ago it suddenly rebooted. Hopefully just an Android TV quirk and nothing more serious.
I think that happened once to me. It’s been pretty stable for a while now.

Now the clicking thing stopped for a while and the panel is looking good uniformity-wise since about 1250 hours, the only thing is the slight yellow tint that seems to get better and worse at least to my eyes. Could be a number of factors I guess.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #4484 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUbers View Post
Well I admit I have not tried an AQ cable since 4K, so maybe it's worth another try; also they probably don't make a 25ft cable

Looks like they do!

So what about the interconnects - if I have a marantz with a vodka, do I also need AQ interconnects?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...l#post55813752

Mods have already had to intervene in this thread due to OT HDMI cable talk.
rboster likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #4485 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
Watched Thor Ragnarok UHD Blu last night and PQ was outstanding on the A1E.

Several scenes that really highlight HDR on an OLED, especially when they come out of the devil's you know what and you have a bright effect to the left of the screen and space in the middle and right.
jrref likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #4486 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4535 Post(s)
Liked: 5532
^^^
What i have found is most of the cheaper HDMI cables are not shielded and more susceptible to noise which can cause problems. Also, connector quality becomes a concern as well. I believe once you get to a certain level like a AQ Forest or Sky (only at BB), I like Pearl but i don't believe it's shielded, you are probably not going to see any difference unless you have a very long run. That's were the more expensive cables can make a difference.

You have to say to yourself, a $5 Monoprice HDMI cable has to have some profit for Monoprice. That said if you remove the profit, how much does it actually cost to make the cable? $2.50? And if so, how good can a $2.50 cable actually be? It might work in a lot of applications since it's all digital but if you want a good quality, shielded cable, you probably need to buy a more expensive but not crazy expensive cable.
m_snow likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4487 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Please take the cable discussion to a thread on the topic, the HDMI forum (yes, we have a whole forum dedicated to the cable) or PM.
post #4488 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
It's irrelevant. Set HDR to auto. The setting is only for sets that do not have HDR and Oppo converts output to HDR anyway.
Wait a second, that really does not make sense to me. If the setting is only for sets that do not have HDR, then you would not set a target luminance for such a set (HD vs UHD). It would seem to me that the auto setting is aimed at sets/projectors that are not capable of HDR.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #4489 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM

The target luminance setting is if you are using a setting that is going to output SDR 2020, like a FP or a device that doesn't do HDR well, or at all.

I leave my HDR setting to Forced instead of Auto, because it will only output HDR10 for now. I am not going to use the DV version of the disc until we know exactly how the Sony is doing in DV mode. With forced HDR, it will just send HDR10 even after the Oppo updates for Sony's Low Latency format. Other than that, just leave HDR as Auto and leave the target luminance alone.

The only thing you want to really change from stock settings for an A1E is to have it output 422 and not 444 (Auto setting).
jrref likes this.

post #4490 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6762 Post(s)
Liked: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I have the outlet turned off. I’ll contact Sony ASAP. I really hope this is an in-home fix because I do not like having my equipment taken out. Not to mention it’s a real pain to move this thing.
That sounds like a board or power supply issue. You have a good chance on a part swap compared to a swap out
post #4491 of 7683 Old 03-11-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So far so good. No more clicking.
dancolt likes this.

post #4492 of 7683 Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello All,

New A1E owner here
Looking for some guidance:

1. If I'm looking for DV on the TV's built-in apps, should I install the update now or wait? If I understand it correctly there hasn't been a clear answer on this. Some said wait until the bugs are fixed, some said this will be it.
And Sony isn't rolling the DV update via auto-update anymore, right? (i.e. we'll need to manually update it via USB?)
If we do firmware update via USB which contain DV, it'll stay there even after we do auto-update in the future (it won't get written over)?

2. HDR Youtube can only be watched via external devices atm, right?

3. I understand this thread is not for comparison - I mainly wanted to make sure I made the right choice within exchange window.
Was comparing this w/ Z9D, tough choice as both TVs are very nice. There are pros and cons of each TV (no clear winner), so for those who were considering those 2, why you ended up choosing A1E despite the following points (basically besides "Z9D is an LCD, LCD can never compare to OLED's PQ, black level and viewing angle"):
- Brightness: In retail environment PQ on A1E actually looked less impressive than Z9D because it seems very dim.
At home - at night, especially in controlled environment, PQ is breathtaking (I used Al's settings - thanks, Al), even with natural indoor lighting PQ is still great using Cinema Pro. In the afternoon (my living room has large windows with direct sunlight on one side), the furthest I could go is Standard Mode since I can barely see anything in Cinema Pro/Home modes esp. for movies with lots of dark/near dark scenes (e.g. some episodes of Marco Polo, Iron Fist, etc.).
Picked A1E since colour seemed more natural vs just bright and white on Z9D - is this true though? (more natural? But snow looks more bluish than white )
And with less nits, with Sony's tone mapping method, is there more clipping than its brighter counterparts? Does the blacker black do anything in reducing clipping?
HDR actually looks great on A1E, does the blacker black compensate for its lack of brightness? I guess I'm interested to know how much brighter (ratio-wise if that's even possible) a non-OLED needs to be to achieve comparable HDR effect to OLED.
- Price point: without mentioning specific number, if the price point is about the same, considering A1E has this somewhat groundbreaking speaker, does that mean Z9D is actually more expensive/valuable if we think that most of its price goes toward the display/PQ itself?
- I read on the other thread there were quite a few people who returned their OLED for Z9D and were very happy, would be interested to hear people who went the other way round.

Thank you.

Sony XBR65A1E

Last edited by da1818; 03-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #4493 of 7683 Old 03-12-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1818 View Post
Hello All,

New A1E owner here

1. If I'm looking for DV on the TV's built-in apps, should I install the update now or wait? If I understand it correctly there hasn't been a clear answer on this. Some said wait until the bugs are fixed, some said this will be it.
And Sony isn't rolling the DV update via auto-update anymore, right? (i.e. we'll need to manually update it via USB?)
If we do firmware update via USB which contain DV, it'll stay there even after we do auto-update in the future (it won't get written over)?

3. I understand this thread is not for comparison - I mainly wanted to make sure I made the right choice within exchange window.
Was comparing this w/ Z9D, tough choice as both TVs are very nice. There are pros and cons of each TV (no clear winner), so for those who were considering those 2, why you ended up choosing A1E despite the following points (basically besides "Z9D is an LCD, LCD can never compare to OLED's PQ, black level and viewing angle"):
- Brightness: In retail environment PQ on A1E actually looked less impressive than Z9D because it seems very dim.
At home - at night, especially in controlled environment, PQ is breathtaking (I used Al's settings - thanks, Al), even with natural indoor lighting PQ is still great using Cinema Pro. In the afternoon (my living room has large windows with direct sunlight on one side), the furthest I could go is Standard Mode since I can barely see anything in Cinema Pro/Home modes esp. for movies with lots of dark/near dark scenes (e.g. some episodes of Marco Polo, Iron Fist, etc.).
Picked A1E since colour seemed more natural vs just bright and white on Z9D - is this true though (more natural)?
And with less nits, with Sony's tone mapping method, is there more clipping than its brighter counterparts? Does the blacker black do anything in reducing clipping?
HDR actually looks great on A1E, does the blacker black compensate for its lack of brightness? I guess I'm interested to know how much brighter (ratio-wise if that's even possible) a non-OLED needs to be to achieve comparable HDR effect to OLED.
- Price point: without mentioning specific number, if the price point is about the same, considering A1E has this somewhat groundbreaking speaker, does that mean Z9D is actually more expensive/valuable if we think that most of its price goes toward the display/PQ itself?
- I read on the other thread there were quite a few people who returned their OLED for Z9D and were very happy, would be interested to hear people who went the other way round.

Thank you.
I am not sure the DV update has rolled out "OTA" so far. I think most people have just done the USB upgrade. The TV will not downgrade the firmware.

HDR youtube requires one of the few devices that support it. The sony TVs don't so far.

For me, LCD was never an option I was willing to accept. I don't like bad viewing angles, nor blooming and bad blacks. I have never owned an LCD television.
da1818 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #4494 of 7683 Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1818 View Post
Hello All,

New A1E owner here [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Picked A1E since colour seemed more natural vs just bright and white on Z9D - is this true though (more natural)?

Thank you.
I am not sure the DV update has rolled out "OTA" so far. I think most people have just done the USB upgrade. The TV will not downgrade the firmware.

HDR youtube requires one of the few devices that support it. The sony TVs don't so far.

For me, LCD was never an option I was willing to accept. I don't like bad viewing angles, nor blooming and bad blacks. I have never owned an LCD television.
You can only update to Dv Via usb at the moment

Dv from my Apple TV 4k is amazing and worth doing upgrade now, internal apps dv has bugs

I looked at z9d and thought the a1e was superior, and I wanted 77" over the 75"

Banding exists on oled and z9d
da1818 likes this.

1) 7.2.4 Atmos; Marantz 8802a; Parasound A51; Parasound 1250; Oppo BDP203; AppleTV4K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Prestige 95F; ML Descent-i; Prestige 2000sw; 4x SA-ADP paradigm in walls surrounds; 4x paradigm ceilings, angled; Furman; XBR-77A1E; xfinity x1; 2) 5.1; Marantz 7702; Emotiva XPA-5; Monster Power Center; Oppo-BDP93; Apple 2K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Studio 100 v.5, CC-690, SA-ADP in-walls; Paradigm Sub 15; Panasonic ZT60 65"; Xfinity X1
post #4495 of 7683 Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 PM

I went plasma, OLED, 940E, and OLED. The 940E is a lovely display, and the size is great, but end of the day, I was a plasma guy for about 9-10 years, and OLED is just me. None of them are perfect, just have to go with what suits you.
dancolt and da1818 like this.

post #4496 of 7683 Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Al,

Did you come up with new settings s8nce the DV update? If so can you provide your new settings or where to find them.

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 AVR l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears, Martin Logan AFX Atmos speakers atop the front L&R
SVS PB 16 Ultra x3 l SVS PC12 Plus
Oppo UDP-203 | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #4497 of 7683 Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Just a quick note -- I got a new A1E a week ago and was able to update the firmware via the network. My 4k AppleTV causes the DV logo to show during initial playback
post #4498 of 7683 Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piser View Post
Quote:
Just a quick note -- I got a new A1E a week ago and was able to update the firmware via the network. My 4k AppleTV causes the DV logo to show during initial playback
Great news as this is the easiest and likely most reliable method

post #4499 of 7683 Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Great news as this is the easiest and likely most reliable method
I too executed the A1E update over the network. The internal Netflix APP looks good for the available Dolby Vision content.

"Every time I put the line in the water I said a Hail Mary and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish." - Fredo
Sony XBR65A1E-Marantz AV8802a-Oppo BDP-203-Parasound Halo A21 & A31-ZoneMaster 1250 -Zamp v.3 (x2) -Paradigm Studio Sub-15 -Vandersteen Signature 2ce Mk II -Vandersteen VCC-2 center -Energy RVSS Surrounds -Yamaha NS-IC800 ceiling Atmos(x4)- Furman Elite 15i
post #4500 of 7683 Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
The target luminance setting is if you are using a setting that is going to output SDR 2020, like a FP or a device that doesn't do HDR well, or at all.

I leave my HDR setting to Forced instead of Auto, because it will only output HDR10 for now. I am not going to use the DV version of the disc until we know exactly how the Sony is doing in DV mode. With forced HDR, it will just send HDR10 even after the Oppo updates for Sony's Low Latency format. Other than that, just leave HDR as Auto and leave the target luminance alone.

The only thing you want to really change from stock settings for an A1E is to have it output 422 and not 444 (Auto setting).
Can you explain why 4:2:2 is a better choice than 4:4:4?
I clearly don't understand what this sampling rate choice does.

Thanks,

Dan

Sony 65A1E - Apple TV 4K - Sony STR-ZA2100ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
a1e , oreo , software update , v6.6510

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page