New A1E owner here
Looking for some guidance:
1. If I'm looking for DV on the TV's built-in apps, should I install the update now or wait? If I understand it correctly there hasn't been a clear answer on this. Some said wait until the bugs are fixed, some said this will be it.
And Sony isn't rolling the DV update via auto-update anymore, right? (i.e. we'll need to manually update it via USB?)
If we do firmware update via USB which contain DV, it'll stay there even after we do auto-update in the future (it won't get written over)?
2. HDR Youtube can only be watched via external devices atm, right?
3. I understand this thread is not for comparison - I mainly wanted to make sure I made the right choice within exchange window.
Was comparing this w/ Z9D, tough choice as both TVs are very nice. There are pros and cons of each TV (no clear winner), so for those who were considering those 2, why you ended up choosing A1E despite the following points (basically besides "Z9D is an LCD, LCD can never compare to OLED's PQ, black level and viewing angle"):
- Brightness: In retail environment PQ on A1E actually looked less impressive than Z9D because it seems very dim.
At home - at night, especially in controlled environment, PQ is breathtaking (I used Al's settings - thanks, Al), even with natural indoor lighting PQ is still great using Cinema Pro. In the afternoon (my living room has large windows with direct sunlight on one side), the furthest I could go is Standard Mode since I can barely see anything in Cinema Pro/Home modes esp. for movies with lots of dark/near dark scenes (e.g. some episodes of Marco Polo, Iron Fist, etc.).
Picked A1E since colour seemed more natural vs just bright and white on Z9D - is this true though? (more natural? But snow looks more bluish than white
And with less nits, with Sony's tone mapping method, is there more clipping than its brighter counterparts? Does the blacker black do anything in reducing clipping?
HDR actually looks great on A1E, does the blacker black compensate for its lack of brightness? I guess I'm interested to know how much brighter (ratio-wise if that's even possible) a non-OLED needs to be to achieve comparable HDR effect to OLED.
- Price point: without mentioning specific number, if the price point is about the same, considering A1E has this somewhat groundbreaking speaker, does that mean Z9D is actually more expensive/valuable if we think that most of its price goes toward the display/PQ itself?
- I read on the other thread there were quite a few people who returned their OLED for Z9D and were very happy, would be interested to hear people who went the other way round.