Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD Owners Only Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28396Likes

post #5521 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4288 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
No I had it on 'cinema pro'. When I went to a DV show or movie the Sony changed it to Dolby Vision. At no time did I select Vivid.
Yeah I do watch SDR and HDR in Standard, not vivid but it's close.

Hmm you may be right about it looking calibrated.
Dolby Vision is a Dark Picture mode even on the LG. That's just the way it is. As D-Nice said you have to leave all the settings at default, except motion if you want to change anything, and change the color gamut to either Expert 1 or 2 or leave it at default. Whatever you want. If your set is calibrated, use one of the calibrated color modes, expert1 or 2 because the calibration will extend to DV just like it does for HDR10 on the Sony.
dreaux and gadgtfreek like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Dolby Vision is a Dark Picture mode even on the LG. That's just the way it is. As D-Nice said you have to leave all the settings at default, except motion if you want to change anything, and change the color gamut to either Expert 1 or 2 or leave it at default. Whatever you want. If your set is calibrated, use one of the calibrated color modes, expert1 or 2 because the calibration will extend to DV just like it does for HDR10 on the Sony.
Well if Dolby Vision is that dark I guess it's not for me,

Thanks
post #5523 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
af8 owner and mines doing it ,never did it before ,I did a full reset ,still doing it ,I cleared cache ,still doing it .

Strange....

At least I’m not alone.

I can’t figure out what caused it.

Looking at app updates, I noticed that two have updated recently. (I have now turned off automatic app updates)

Google play games on May 17
Google app for Android on May 10

I just uninstalled both updates to see if it helps.

I also installed Vudu a few weeks ago so I just deleted it as well.

Dan

Equipment:
Sony XBR65A1E / Denon AVR-X4400H / Outlaw 5000 amp / Apple TV 4K /
Playstation 4 Pro / Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTM62, M1 / Klipsch KSW-15 /
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5524 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For those with sluggish menu,try unplugging the tv for a few minutes....

65 Sony A1E-Oled - Calman Home Ent/C6 HDR2000
Denon - 7200WA - Mirage Speakers
Roku Ultra/Sony UBP-X800M2/4K Firestick
post #5525 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I’ve been doing some extensive comparisons today with the ATV vs internal apps vs Xbox One X. A few somewhat strange and interesting observations. The ATV Netflix app is a bit on the dark side overall. I find that the SDR image is substantially brighter, but it’s badly over saturated towards red and lacks depth. Everything is bright, even the darker areas that should not be. The DV image, although being darker overall, has far more depth and looks much more pleasing to the eye. Brights are bright, darks are dark, and everything looks more natural as it should. I love how HDR images can show such bright and dark objects on the screen at the same time. To me this is what HDR is all about and OLED really excels at dark images with bright lights/objects. I put a higher priority on how my panel handles dark images versus bright.

I do understand what some folks are saying about the brightness though. I’m thinking the problem is more a limitation of OLED panel brightness than anything else. If you really want those eye searing bright images that HDR can provide you really need to get into one of the brighter LED models, like the Sony Z9. Myself personally, I’m satisfied with the HDR image brightness on my A1E.

I’m still a bit perplexed at the difference between the internal Netflix app DV brightness and the ATV Netflix app, but I suspect that it will be corrected in an update at some point. The internal Netflix app DV really is noticeably brighter. In comparing the ATV Netflix app with DV to the Xbox One X with HDR10 the image brightness is about equal. I’m still using the Xbox One X for Netflix anyway, because Dolby Atmos capability squashes any advantage that DV gives me over HDR10.

One last observation to mention is that iTunes DV movies look stunning on the A1E! This was the main reason I grabbed myself an ATV and I’m not disappointed so far.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by BRAC; 05-20-2018 at 02:11 PM.
post #5526 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I do understand what some folks are saying about the brightness though. I’m thinking the problem is more a limitation of OLED panel brightness than anything else. If you really want those eye searing bright images that HDR can provide you really need to get into one of the brighter LED models, like the Sony Z9. Myself personally, I’m satisfied with the HDR image brightness on my A1E.
This would only be true for specular highlights. The majority of DV content stays below 150nits (some will even say 120nits).
chunon, jb442386 and gadgtfreek like this.
post #5527 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
This would only be true for specular highlights. The majority of DV content stays below 150nits (some will even say 120nits).
Well, there is certainly a lot of misinformation going around about what is required to properly display HDR. Is it normal for a DV HDR image to be darker than a SDR image? Just asking, because I’d have guessed that a DV image would be brighter if the panel is producing enough nits.

post #5528 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Well, there is certainly a lot of misinformation going around about what is required to properly display HDR.
I said DV not HDR HDR10 is a completely different subject.

Quote:
Is it normal for a DV HDR image to be darker than a SDR image? Just asking, because I would have guessed that a DV image should be brighter if the panel is producing enough nits.
You can not compare DV, or HDR10 for that matter, content to SDR. In most cases, they are not mastered by the same people (problem 1) and are mastered with completely different priorities (problem 2).
post #5529 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I said DV not HDR HDR10 is a completely different subject.

You can not compare DV, or HDR10 for that matter, content to SDR. In most cases, they are not mastered by the same people (problem 1) and are mastered with completely different priorities (problem 2).
Didn’t say HDR10, I said HDR(high dynamic range).

post #5530 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Didn’t say HDR10, I said HDR(high dynamic range).
Tou need to be very specific in your interactions. There are multiple HDR formats and they are NOT the same. So your question does not make sense in context.
post #5531 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tou need to be very specific in your interactions. There are multiple HDR formats and they are NOT the same. So your question does not make sense in context.
Sorry, I thought my question was very specific. You are the one who assumed HDR10, which was never mentioned.

DV is an HDR format is it not? Go back and read my op again. I always laugh at how quick AVS forum mainstays will go out of their way to try and belittle and make the less knowledgeable on a subject look stupid.

post #5532 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD Owners Only Thread [No Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolt View Post
Strange....

At least I’m not alone.

I can’t figure out what caused it.

Looking at app updates, I noticed that two have updated recently. (I have now turned off automatic app updates)

Google play games on May 17
Google app for Android on May 10

I just uninstalled both updates to see if it helps.

I also installed Vudu a few weeks ago so I just deleted it as well.

Dan

Well removing the two updates and Vudu then rebooting seems to have resolved the issue.

Someone else needs to give it a try to verify the solution. @markmanner @Dave Scurra @jwstegbauer

EDIT: I should add, after the reboot it takes a few minutes before Android is up and responsive but after that the Picture Adjustments pops right up every time.

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network

Last edited by dancolt; 05-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
post #5533 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I thought my question was very specific. You are the one who assumed HDR10, which was never mentioned.

DV is an HDR format is it not? Go back and read my op again. I always laugh at how quick AVS forum mainstays will go out of their way to try and belittle and make the less knowledgeable on a subject look stupid.
Reread my reply and what I quoted. It is valid per the context
post #5534 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Well removing the two updates and Vudu then rebooting seems to have resolved the issue.

Someone else needs to give it a try to verify the solution. @markmanner @Dave Scurra @jwstegbauer

EDIT: I should add, after the reboot it takes a few minutes before Android is up and responsive but after that the Picture Adjustments pops right up every time.

Dan
how do u see when the apps r updated , how do u turn off automatic app updates? I did most of what u did mine seems to be working ,but I went thru this before ,it will work for a short time after deleting things then go right back to being slow .

greatone99
post #5535 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD Owners Only Thread [No Price Talk]

Quote:
how do u see when the apps r updated , how do u turn off automatic app updates? I did most of what u did mine seems to be working ,but I went thru this before ,it will work for a short time after deleting things then go right back to being slow .

Open the Google Play Store app, go down to Settings, then select Auto-update apps and select “Do not auto-update apps”.

To see when an app was updated, open the Google Play Store app, go down to My Apps, select the app in question then select Full Description and scroll down to see the version and “Updated on xx/xx/xx”.

Mine is still working just fine. Maybe you did this before but didn’t turn auto update off in the Google Play Store?

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5536 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Dan
My TV actually had just rebooted on its own before I saw your post and it was still slow (but faster on second try).

Sony 65A1E
post #5537 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
My TV actually had just rebooted on its own before I saw your post and it was still slow (but faster on second try).

I rebooted mine first to see if that would resolve the issue but it comes right back. After I removed the updates and Vudu, rebooted and it opens immediately every single time.

I will let everyone know if the issue comes back but it has been a few hours so far so good.

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5538 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Open the Google Play Store app, go down to Settings, then select Auto-update apps and select “Do not auto-update apps”.

To see when an app was updated, open the Google Play Store app, go down to My Apps, select the app in question then select Full Description and scroll down to see the version and “Updated on xx/xx/xx”.

Mine is still working just fine. Maybe you did this before but didn’t turn auto update off in the Google Play Store?

Dan
I think it might be good I did the rest of what u said and seems to be working ,will report back in a couple of hours

greatone99
post #5539 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it might be good I did the rest of what u said and seems to be working ,will report back in a couple of hours

Cool

Thanks for the update!

Dan
Dave Scurrah likes this.

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5540 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Thanks
Check your black level setting using a dvd with a btightness slide. I found that 52-53 was better for me in some situations.
dreaux likes this.

Sony A1E, Marantz 8805, Montis, Bryston,
post #5541 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

Contrast and brightness at Max

Then bump your gamma setting up to 2 for dark programs.

Let me know if that helps.

Dan
dreaux and m_snow like this.

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5542 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Contrast and brightness at Max

Then bump your gamma setting up to 2 for dark programs.

Let me know if that helps.

Dan
Have Contrast and brightness set to max. I did bump up the gamma up to 2. That did help but it still has that sepia look, a sort of a brownish coloring. It really does look like the 'cinema pro' setting when viewing a DV show or movie.
I'm not of fan of that setting. Like to have greater contrast and clearer image. Guess I don't like a 'calibrated' look.

Perhaps the DV is working as intended but I was expecting for it to look more like HDR. idk. But again I will play more with the settings on the Sony and ATV. If I'm not mistaken ATV is the only streaming device that will do DV?
post #5543 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have Contrast and brightness set to max. I did bump up the gamma up to 2. That did help but it still has that sepia look, a sort of a brownish coloring. It really does look like the 'cinema pro' setting when viewing a DV show or movie.
I'm not of fan of that setting. Like to have greater contrast and clearer image. Guess I don't like a 'calibrated' look.
Perhaps the DV is working as intended but I was expecting for it to look more like HDR. idk.

I tend to use warm instead of Expert 1 or 2. Doing so removes some of the yellowing of the whites.

Dan
dreaux and statealum like this.

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5544 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Perhaps the DV is working as intended but I was expecting for it to look more like HDR. idk. But again I will play more with the settings on the Sony and ATV. If I'm not mistaken ATV is the only streaming device that will do DV?

Like dancolt mentioned try using the "warm" color temperature. Technically it isn't the correct color temperature to use for a calibrated picture (expert1 is) but you may find it strikes a nice balance between seeming too warm and too cool.
dreaux likes this.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #5545 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

When Sony first gave us the Dolby Vision update they had the Color Temp. set at Nuetral and Motion at True Cinema/High...

So you probably like a cool/bluer picture so try putting it that way and see how you like it...
dreaux likes this.

65 Sony A1E-Oled - Calman Home Ent/C6 HDR2000
Denon - 7200WA - Mirage Speakers
Roku Ultra/Sony UBP-X800M2/4K Firestick
post #5546 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:

The only additional recommendation I can give is to reduce the R-Gain and B-Gain by 3 (i.e. set both to -3). This will get you close to what it should be post calibration with the proper white point offset.
dreaux likes this.
post #5547 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
Like dancolt mentioned try using the "warm" color temperature. Technically it isn't the correct color temperature to use for a calibrated picture (expert1 is) but you may find it strikes a nice balance between seeming too warm and too cool.
Warm measures super blue. It takes a double digit reduction to get it where it needs to be.
post #5548 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Not that anyone cares.

I just watched Jumanji in Dolby Vision. Wow, just wow...

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #5549 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question A1E Switching Sound Fields

I have finally received my 65" A1E and it is beautiful!

However, the only issue I am currently having is that the television is switching my Sony STR-DH770 Receiver's sound fields by itself. I like to have all my sound modes for my inputs set to "Pro Logic IIx Movie"... however the TV is defaulting everything to "Direct". I have tried going into "sound adjustments" and choosing "sound mode" as "cinema". This defaults the Sound Field to "HD-Digital Cinema Sound".

However, I have also tried going into Bravia Sync and choosing the S.Field as the "Pro Logic IIx Movie" however it will reset back to "Direct" on any input change.

I somehow figured out how to remedy this with my old Sony 65X810c but I cannot seem to get it to stay on the setting I choose with the new A1E.

If anyone knows how to get the TV to stop auto switching my receivers sound mode that would be great. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

TV: Sony XBR65A1E
Audio: Sony STR-DH790
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700
post #5550 of 7596 Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity did you have the Vudu beta installed or did you just uninstall the other two updates?

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
a1e , oreo , software update , v6.6510

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page