Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD Owners Only Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28396Likes

post #241 of 7596 Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4286 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Hey jrref, can you confirm you see a difference in brightness highlight performance from Android 6 to 7 within Cinema Pro. I swear it was too dim for me on 6, but on 7 its giving me better brightness performance than Standard HDR mode was on 6.

Another question, are you final on your determination on Custom HDR picture mode and tone mapping? Meaning, is it clipping or mapping less than Cinema Pro HDR mode? I ask because on Android 7, I tried Custom HDR mode and its just too peak performing on brights than the more pleasing peak performance in Cinema Pro..

All in all, as of Android 7, Cinema Pro outside of gaming (Game Mode) is the de-facto mode for everything now for my viewing.
Yes, it's confirmed that 7 made a change to the HDR in Custom mode, it's tone mapping properly now, but i'm not sure about Standard or Vivid because I never looked at those before the upgrade. Cinema Pro and Custom are tone mapping essentially the same now with Custom giving a little more brightness. Overall, I like Cinema Pro picture mode the best.
werewolfy likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 7596 Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4286 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
1) I'm an owner that has not had professional calibration done before, so do not know what to expect of a company in terms of certification process and to what degree "ISF Level II Certification" ensures what is or is not done on a consistent basis... Its clear from your comment, not all "calibration services" perform the same sort of result. I did ensure I went after only a "Certified ISF Level II" tech, a tech that has done it for multiple years, was familiar with OLED and had performed work on at least LG OLED (knowing Sony is new to the game) amongst other devices before, and in this case had been in the technical side of the broadcasting business for all of their former career, and had the latest gear and software apps to perform the job. Before searching for a company, I read part of the ISF website as to if I would instead personally undertake my own certification and obtain the equipment myself instead of hiring someone (I have no doubt I could do it myself), but even with $1800 cost for certification and training coming to a nearby city later this summer, I could not justify the total costs given I don't want to go into the business on my own, and the tech (meaning possible new HW & SW) is evolving as HDR testing methods hopefully firm-up and DV enters the picture with testing standards to be established some day. Anyway, it's not my style to further critique or discuss the 2.5-hr job performed for me in this public forum, so I got what I got and have moved on using what I was provided.

As I stated originally, I recognize "Custom" isn't quite the same as "Cinema Pro". IMHO I also suspect most consumers that don't do formal calibration and who prefer to focus more on content like I do once my AV gear is dialed-in to my taste, won't be able to see a significant difference between the two with their own eyes and no other measurement equipment being available to them.

2) Gamma is 0.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments. Fortunately, I have learned and continue to learn a lot from posts like yours, while I do the best I can with the information I have access to. As I've tried to highlight, while I like precision and detail, I'm not as concerned as some with maintaining a reference quality display as much as an overall picture I can enjoy. To each their own in that regard. Peace. I'm very happy with how my A1E presently looks, so am already moving on from some of that concern now that colors are more balanced to my eyes and I have an improved dynamic range from what I was able to do on my own.

Hopefully others will take the time and effort to consolidate and provide new information and POV here for other non-ISF certified consumers like myself to see and consider... It's always the challenge for those like me that want to learn, to try and pick up useful tidbits here and there, sort through the reality gurus can provide vs people with agendas or who just throw something out into the WWW, and put it together into a single useful POV. I apparently didn't quite hit the mark for some with my latest attempt. No problem. It's my last planned proactive post about my A1E for a while. It's time for me to put on a good movie and enjoy content on my A1E again!
2.5 hours is about right, I was just curious, but I still would have made him calibrate Cinema Pro as well. With a "good" calibration, if you have bright and dark viewing, both Cinema Pro and Custom should be calibrated but in some cases where someone only views in one environment, then only one picture mode is needed.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #243 of 7596 Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can someone measure the peak brightness on a 100% and 50% white window pattern in SDR with BFI (clearness high) engaged? I'm still wondering if it's bright enough to use it (about 120 nits) because on 60fps games the motion resolution is awesome with that option activated.

Sony KD-55A1b - Onkyo TX-RZ900 - Sony UBP-X800 - SVS Prime Bookshelf 5.0 + SVS PC-2000 + SVS Prime Elevation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 7596 Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
@Al Leong do you have the 4k version of I am legend? I could not get my bd version to go completely dark for some reason.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
post #245 of 7596 Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
@Al Leong do you have the 4k version of I am legend? I could not get my bd version to go completely dark for some reason.
Yes, 4K version.
post #246 of 7596 Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
1) I'm an owner that has not had professional calibration done before, so do not know what to expect of a company in terms of certification process and to what degree "ISF Level II Certification" ensures what is or is not done on a consistent basis... Its clear from your comment, not all "calibration services" perform the same sort of result.
That is correct, you got to be careful who you hire, Chad B, D-Nice, and Gregg Loewen are the best in the business.......
shyguy3763 and Al Leong like this.
post #247 of 7596 Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
@BertL, imho, since there are no CMS onboard our A1e, save your $$$ and just keep it @cinemaPRO, and your done.
beavil likes this.
post #248 of 7596 Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Just joined the club! Ordered from VE to get their Q/C and calibration service. It's going to be a long wait for delivery...

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | PS4 | ATV4
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #249 of 7596 Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This is so thorough and helpful

Quote:
Today marks 3 weeks with my 55" A1E, and just over 200 hours of viewing in my most-of-the-day more brightly lit room.

For a good 6-8 weeks ahead of my A1E delivery, I closely kept up with all the various Sony/A1E threads here and A1E reviews as they have come out, making notes to myself of setting combinations others have tried, as well as comments people made about their observations what some of the settings do well or poorly from their POV. I'm glad I did that, with Sony's horrible lack of useful documentation in this regard.

I have always seemed to be the guy in the family that is asked, and then eyeball tunes everyone's TV, with results that have made us happier than the defaults. Even with my former $8K plasma monitor, I for some reason never went the next step having certified calibration done on any of my TVs, although I oddly have used an X-Rite to calibrate my former PC and now iMac displays for years. It's weird, I know. Don't ask me why. It took me a while, but I've been pretty happy with the A1E settings I've been living with more recently between Cinema Pro and Custom, although I knew what I saw wasn't quite as punchy as it could be, and while I had finally eliminated too much red in most content, playing with green and blue just had me stumped -- facial tones were always a bit off especially as I switched between source material. With all the back-and-forth on the original owner's thread, and sometimes nasty comments others make about "you have not gotten your panel calibrated", I decided I'd go ahead and spend another 5% of the cost of my A1E to have it calibrated by an ISF Level II certified guy. That happened yesterday afternoon.

The net is, since I run all my components through my AVR to A1E HDMI #3 , he calibrated a single set of picture settings for me based off of Custom. Interestingly, they end-up much like the rtings.com set, with tweaks to Adv Color Temps as I'd expect would be different from panel-to-panel. Also, as I expected, nearly all the Sony Pixie-dust settings are set to off in the calibrated set. ...and yes, the final result watching bright and dark content now in both a darker and brightly lit room is improved. The odd color casts that bothered me somewhere between blue and green are no longer there. HDR content is more punchy (e.g. torches in dark tombs of The Mummy), and the bit of black crush I sometimes noticed is for the most part gone. I do think my whites are slightly clipping, but that's easily remedied backing off of contrast a bit when I've had more time deciding what to do or not.
  • Am I overall happy with the result? Yes.
  • Are the changes post-calibration significant? No, but they refine and maximize what the A1E is capable of, and I don't have the equipment or detailed-know how to have done it all myself.
  • Would I have a new high-end TV like my A1E calibrated again? Yes. Without question.
BERT'S CURRENT A1E NON-GAMING PICTURE SETTINGS - 5/18/2017 (Android TV V7)

CAVEATS ON

With all that being said, I AM NOT A PURIST when it comes to all this calibration/reference set stuff, as I want to just enjoy my TV in my Family Room -- so if a mfgr like Sony offers Magic Pixie Dust Settings I can explore, or if something like whites seem to need to be dialed-back a bit, I'm gonna do it. IMO, both Custom and Cinema Pro can offer similar types of image processing -- maybe not exactly the same, but close enough to my eyes. Again, while Purists may not like this approach, I've decided to leave my Custom settings exactly how they were calibrated so I have a point-of-reference. I have then moved the same key settings across to Cinema Pro and added back the Magic Pixie Dust Settings I enjoy. While they may be tweaked a little bit more as I gain hours with what is mostly new color calibration, following is where I am using pretty much a single setting all the time (I watch my A1E sitting ~8' away, and only rarely use my PS4 Pro where the default Game settings are better, and I'd spend more time looking at what others are doing with settings if it were games I was focused on.)

I trust people in this real owner's thread are not quite as harsh as some continually are in "that other thread", so I'm putting myself out there for critique I suppose. My intent is not to say what I have is reference material or perfect for everyone, but I thought since we're getting more new A1E owners, and many likely don't want to spend the days it can take to catch-up on all the threads and reviews, I would offer my latest settings as a starting point for their consideration beyond what Sony provides as defaults. It's easily discarded and the A1E put back to defaults if someone does not like any of this. I also provided some additional thoughts for several of the settings in the notes for several of the settings choices I've made. Again, I'm not an expert, just a guy that tries to research and keep learning, enjoy his gear, and share with others if it can maybe help them out some way. YMWV (Your Mileage WILL Vary )
CAVEATS OFF

Home/Settings/External/Inputs/HDMI Signal Format/Enhanced Format - The first and primary setting to enable 4K HDR

...then, from Picture Adjustments while watching no or non-HDR content:
- Picture Mode
-- Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
-- Auto Picture Mode, Brightness, Color are below
-- Light Sensor: Off
- Brightness
-- (1) Brightness: 14
-- (2) Contrast: Max
-- Gamma: 0
-- Black Level: 50
-- Black Adjust: Off
-- (3) Adv Contrast Enhance: Off
-- (4) Xtended Dynamic Range: High
- Color
-- Color: 50
-- Hue: 0
-- Color Temperature: Expert 1
-- (5) Adv Color Temperature <- Your panel Settings will likely vary
--- Basic
---- R-Gain: -2
---- G-Gain: -1
---- B-Gain: -4
---- R-Bias: 0
---- G-Bias: 0
---- B-Bias: -1
--- Multipoint (10p)
---- Color Gamma Adjustment Points: 1
---- R-Offset: 0
-- (6) Live Color: Low
- Clarity
-- (7) Sharpness: 50
-- (8) Reality Creation: Manual
--- Resolution: 40
-- Mastered in 4K: On
-- (9) Random Noise Reduction: Off
-- (9) Digital Noise Reduction: Off
-- (10) Smooth Gradation: Low
- Motion
-- (11) Motionflow: Custom
--- Smoothness: 3
--- (12) Clearness: Low
-- (13) Cinemotion: Low
- (14) Video Options
-- HDR Mode: Auto
-- HDR Video Range: Auto
-- Color Space: Auto
NOTES:
(1) You can move brightness up further if need be during the day; the A1E will correctly move this to Max for all HDR content because of video options below
(2) If whites are clipping, try moving this down perhaps to 95 (or even 90)
(3) You could try ACE at Low, but watch for black crush even then -- it's much more apparent at Med and High
(4) I'm really OK with XDR at Med for most content, as the A1E will correctly move this to Max for all HDR content because of video options below. My calibration tech wanted this at Max to get the greatest brightness out of the display he could.
(5) Adv Color Temperature: Leave the settings at your panel's default or to what is best TO YOU, as these will vary panel-to-panel. I have included my present settings just so those that also have a fully calibrated A1E can see what is perhaps different panel-to-panel should you be interested in such detail. If you do fool around with these settings with only your eyes and you don't know what you're doing, my suggestion is only play with Basic R/G/B-Gain -- the bias settings can do odd things, including to black if they are incorrect, and Multi-point is only for people with the calibration gear that want to get into superfine adjustment.
(6) I currently like Live Color on Low. Others will probably prefer this Off if you have the rest of your settings correct. For me, on some content like DirecTV I watch a lot of, Low provides just a little more color punch without being garish. This is one of those pixie dust settings the purists will surely hate, but others may want to try in various settings to see what you enjoy most. Tomorrow I may have this Off. IDK. It's just a setting.
(7) Simply of note that my panel was dead-on perfect sharpness-wise and the setting remains at the 50 default. Don't change this unless you are using the right calibration slide and get right up to the panel to decide.
(8) I use Manual and have increased the resolution a bit from 20 to 40. Play with this looking at fine 4K detail say in the hair of animals, people, and such. Some have said 50 is good -- while I can't explain exactly why, I've backed down from that each time I've gone there
(9) Thanks to the horribly lacking Sony documentation and online help, I have no clue what this does after trying it on/off/auto with different sources, so I keep it off
(10) I like Low a lot better than Off to reduce color banding in some content. Just a little bit helps clean things up. Medium may be OK, but High for me makes the image too soft, or almost like watching it through a light fog most of the time.
(11) I don't really know what True Cinema is doing that is in some of the A1E defaults, so I use Custom 3 which some others started using.
(12) I have not found a reason to increase Clearness higher than Low, which to me is better than Off with some types of faster moving content
(13) Off may be OK for many. Medium and High to my eyes add too much of the "Soap Opera Effect", so I find Low does a better job with some sports (golf) I occasionally watch
(14) Leave all the Video Options at Auto. Unless you have a specific purpose, no reason to change these.
ENJOY THAT A1E! I do every day.
This is soooo thorough and well-laid out ! Great work. Thanks for sharing. +Helpful.
kalantan and BertL like this.
post #250 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Is the built-in YouTube app able to stream HDR content? How about the Netflix app?
robert9674 likes this.
post #251 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 05:35 AM
pwl

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Stuttering jerky YouTube playback at 60 hz both 1080p60 and 2160p

Has anyone else noticed stuttering on YouTube high frame rate play back 60 Hz? I'm having this issue only on the A1E, not on the Sony x800 UHD player or Any of my other streaming devices.

I'm going to attempt some troubleshooting today by turning off all of the video processing on the Sony and trying new ethernet cables etc.

Just thought I would check on the forum see if anybody had any other suggestions.

Sony XBR-65A1E : UBP-X800 : AppleTV4K : Denon 910W : Def Tech Speakers
post #252 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Is the built-in YouTube app able to stream HDR content? How about the Netflix app?
That's what I want to know too.it doesn't look like the YouTube app supports that feature yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #253 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
That's what I want to know too.it doesn't look like the YouTube app supports that feature yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
YouTube has to update their app version on the A1E to support it.
post #254 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a super slim articulating wall mount for the 55" for a reasonable price?

post #255 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a super slim articulating wall mount for the 55" for a reasonable price?
$4K for the set and we worry about the cost of a mount?
Kolenka likes this.
post #256 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I was going to use the Sanus BLT2-B1 (only slight tilt and a few inch pull-out from the wall), but kept my older (not as low profile) mount to avoid drilling more holes in my fireplace. I've read other references here on AVForums that the very low profile LG mount also works.
post #257 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Peerless is the best...The SUF650 is super slim

Sony XBR65A1E | Sony XBR75X940D | Fujitsu AVIAMO P65FT00AUB
post #258 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsg View Post
$4K for the set and we worry about the cost of a mount?
Yeah, I know.

I'm not looking for a $50 mount; just looking for something in maybe the $150-200 range. I'm upgrading my entire system and still need to buy a receiver and 4K player. Not trying to cheap out on the mount so much as putting money in the best place. Why spend $450 on a Sanus mount if a $200 mount will work just as well.
pakten and Nick Martelli like this.

post #259 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
For those of us that just have a passing knowledge of video technology, it would be great if someone could put together a post that explains when to use what when it comes to incoming video signals and the processing available on our Sony A1Es. For me it would be helpful to have a breakdown by incoming video signal, the processing options available for it, and the goal of using each option.

Any video/Sony experts what to flex their muscles?

Sony XBR-65A1E // Denon X6300H // Klipsch RF-7ii (x2), RC-64ii, RB-51ii (x4) // SVS PB12-Plus // Xbox One X // WDTV Live // Sony UBP-X700 // Chromecast Ultra // Harmony 670
post #260 of 7596 Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 PM

Trippy! Watching this now..

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...ack-and-Chrome

Mad Max Fury Road in B&W

Now I'm thinking could I have just played the BD with the A1 Color at 0.
Nick Martelli likes this.
post #261 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone have any luck with the 3.5mm jack to get a standard DVD player to work? Before changing out my plasma, I switched the player to composite DVD and it played fine. I bought two 3.5 mm jacks [thanks Al for the correct type.] On the A1E, all I get is a corrupted picture with horizontal lines splitting the screen. The same 480 disc looks acceptable when played through the Blu-Ray player. I miss component inputs.

Sony 65"A1E, Marantz 7005 Pre, Rotel 5ch X 120w, Axiom & HSU sub.
post #262 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Can anyone say what picture processing modes, if any, we should be using? What does the reality creation mode do? Or the live color option? Cinemotion?

Should any of these extras be used in content?
beavil likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E : Sony X800
post #263 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnk21 View Post
Can anyone say what picture processing modes, if any, we should be using? What does the reality creation mode do? Or the live color option? Cinemotion?

Should any of these extras be used in content?
Take a look at upthread posts here and in the predecessor thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rice-talk.html where much of this has been discussed to varying degrees...

You'll find opinions vary. There are no absolutes and Sony documentation is lacking at best. Some here only want to have what a professional calibration to the upteenth-degree can provide and nothing else. Others like me want to explore the magic pixie dust settings and are OK a with a few tweaks if it makes my own viewing experience better to my eyes. IMHO, It's your choice, as it's your TV.

While I'll bet money someone will take issue with my POV (it's sorta what happens here ), my net to get you started until you have time to research a little more:

- Cinema Pro is mighty fine for most non-gaming sources. I suggest you start there. Custom can be perhaps a close second. Some liked Standard for a time, but at least one notable individual in these threads has seemed to have shifted to Cinema Pro in more recent times since the latest firmware update. If you're looking for more complete "settings" some of are using, search on some of our usernames and you'll find 2-3 complete sets in both of the threads I mentioned above -- my recent version is upthread from end of this past week. Look at the FlatPanelsHD or (even better perhaps the) rtings.com A1E reviews if you have more confidence in reviewer settings.

- Reality Creation from my limited experience seems to mostly improve fine detail especially on 4K sources when looking at things like hair on animals, older people's faces, blades of grass and such. If you go overboard, things start to look odd and not as natural. Try Manual and somewhere between 20-40 if you want to play with it.

- Live Color can add some additional "pop" to make highlights a little more vivid... "Purists", aka those that want only a reference quality picture likely abhor this setting like some of the other "pixie dust" and keep it off. IMO, the color profile you use is a foundation for how this will/won't affect the picture, and of course how much you apply, so YMMV based on the combination of settings you use. My suggestion as you'll find in my settings above is keep it off, or try it on low for most things. I'm back to "off" for the last few days and it will likely remain that way on my A1E.

- Cinemotion is one of the settings that can further reduce judder IF you see it. If I go wild with this setting (Medium to High), the Soap Opera Effect will certainly become more apparent (i.e. Some sources looking a tad blurry or even like you're looking through a light fog where detail was before.). Some others like this Off, while I prefer and keep mine on Low seeing only benefit on things like live golf games I watch from time to time.

Good luck and enjoy your A1E. Do take the time to search a bit for some of those settings combinations. You'll learn a lot from comments made in each of them.
applog and Kolenka like this.

Last edited by BertL; 05-21-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #264 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Problem with USB flash drives?

I tried to put some movies/pics on a USB key and the A1E couldn't see them. I tried the exact same files on another USB key and it worked fine. So far out of 4 different USB keys, it only works with one USB key.

I even tried to have the TV format the USB key and it didn't help. It does recognize the USB key (the menu that let you pick whenever you want to view the content with Albums, Movies, etc. pop up upon insertion and I can see it in Settings > Storage) but doesn't see the files (e.g. the mp4 of the glassblowing demo that is usually displayed in stores on the A1E)

I have applied the Android 7 firmware update and it doesn't address the issue.

Anyone else got that problem?

Sony A1E
post #265 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If you're looking for more complete "settings" some of are using, search on some of our usernames and you'll find 2-3 complete sets in both of the threads I mentioned above -- my recent version is upthread from end of this past week. Look at the FlatPanelsHD or (even better perhaps the) rtings.com A1E reviews if you have more confidence in reviewer settings.
There is also a calibration thread for the A1E: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...on-thread.html

BTW BertL, thanks a lot for your detailed posts, they are most helpful.
BertL likes this.

Sony A1E
post #266 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avecaesar View Post
I tried to put some movies/pics on a USB key and the A1E couldn't see them. I tried the exact same files on another USB key and it worked fine. So far out of 4 different USB keys, it only works with one USB key.

I even tried to have the TV format the USB key and it didn't help. It does recognize the USB key (the menu that let you pick whenever you want to view the content with Albums, Movies, etc. pop up upon insertion and I can see it in Settings > Storage) but doesn't see the files (e.g. the mp4 of the glassblowing demo that is usually displayed in stores on the A1E)

I have applied the Android 7 firmware update and it doesn't address the issue.

Anyone else got that problem?
I only tried a 4GB no-name thumb drive when I manually updated my A1E firmware a few days ago, and it worked fine. I've not tried anything else in my A1E as I use my OPPO for playing USB/SSD files.

If you've not seen it, check out some of the Sony A1E USB spec info starting on p30 here https://docs.sony.com/release//Help_...121.pdf#page33

Only other thing I can offer is I have real-world experience that not all USB decives are created equal, despite their specs. I have tested and gone through more than a dozen different brands, sizes, and spec combinations in my Tesla Model S over the last several months, and net is, some work better than others with less unexplainable problems, while a few work great in my Mac but flat out fail every time in my Tesla. I believe the combination of physical device quality and how good the firmware is in the thing trying to use your USB device makes a HUGE a difference. I finally found a USB SSD device that works more often than not in my MS, and have just stayed with it after all too much head scratching and cursing under my breath.

Good luck.
post #267 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I finally found a USB SSD device that works more often than not in my MS, and have just stayed with it after all too much head scratching and cursing under my breath.

Good luck.
Thanks. I have the feeling I will experience much cursing under my breath. From the same brand, one key works the other doesn't on the A1E. Unfortunately it's the USB 2 one with low storage that works But my other USB 2 keys don't work (different sizes, different brands).

I would like to use the TV as a giant picture frame without having other devices powered on, so I hope I get lucky.

Sony A1E
post #268 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
It is my understanding that the LG TVs periodically run compensation cycles to improve the uniformity of the TV At low levels.
Does the Sony also run these compensation cycles?
I have not seen any discussion on this point.
E

Theater: Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD, Oppo-205, Anthem AVM60, 7.1.4 B & W CM 7 LR,CDM-cse, CM 1, CM 1 S2, Silverline minuet , SVS SB13 Ultra, Rotel RMB 1555, Parasound A23, Naim NAP 100, EEcolor lut box. Calman, MobileForge, I1D3 & I1pro 2.
Stereo: Aurender N100H, Auralic Vega DAC, Focal Chorus 836 W, BAT VK-3ix, Pass XA 30.5, PPP.
post #269 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganz1 View Post
It is my understanding that the LG TVs periodically run compensation cycles to improve the uniformity of the TV At low levels.
Does the Sony also run these compensation cycles?
I have not seen any discussion on this point.
E
Yes, about 2 weeks ago, I heard my TV make a clicking (off) sound at 4AM having had turned it off around 12am. I was sleeping in front of the TV when the clicking woke me up.
post #270 of 7596 Old 05-21-2017, 06:03 PM

I spent some time on my W7 today.. I watched the Dolby Vision VUDU version of xXx that came with the 4K BD and it's funny, before owning the A1, I would have thought this DV version was excellent.. but I can clearly see the difference between the DV HDR and the (to me) more superior dynamic HDR10 of the movie the A1 process.

I left my W7 having started DeJa Vu (with Denzel Washington) on Netflix.. the W7 offering a clean, very stale look to me in ISF Bright mode.. I'm on my personal A1 now and picked up the movie on Netflix towards the beginning.. and what a difference! I've forced myself to watch W7 all day, and in less than 30 seconds.. the A1 playback of this movie is more impressive than everything I've watched on the W7 today..

I'm at a possible impasse with the W7.. the form factor is great for my living room decor but I can no longer get through an entire movie on it now with the A1E. I can replace it with a 77" A1 when they become available but that would make my home TV situation really redundant.. I've never owned 2 of the same high-end TV, I've heard of other home owners owning 2 of the same.. but never 3.

I am close to getting another 65" A1 for my storage as a backup because if Sony does another OLED for 2018, I'm good with the A1E.. but if they do another move like the XEL-1, I think 10 years from now I'll be ok cracking open another A1E.

For years I thought plasma guys holding on to units way past market popularity were crazy.. now I understand.. Its kinda like one of those 1969 Mustang products.. its really going to take a lot for me to warm up to another OLED after the A1 (even the Panasonic).
ataneruo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
a1e , oreo , software update , v6.6510

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page