2017 LG OLED E7/G7 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10715Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that after the update a lot of the picture modes have crushed blacks? For instance in ISF Dark I have to change Black Level to "High" to see detail in dark scenes. Prior to the update I had it set to "Low". Also, I had to set gamma to 2.2 when previously it was at 2.4 or BT.1886
What brightness setting are you using?
Cam1977 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,225
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebomb View Post
That’s true! Frustrating over here in the UK as Amazon and Google aren’t offering the latest releases to buy/rent in UHD yet. Only Apple seem to have a decent catalog of 4K movies. I’m sure things will improve in time. The videophile in me thinks get a 4K Blu Ray player, but as a Dad with young kids I find streaming far more convenient
Keep in mind that the 4K HDR/DV Apple encodes are different than the UHD BD encode. I’ve examined quite a few Apple encodes that are over saturated compared to their UHD BD counterparts. I pre order 5 of the ATV 4K and feel they are the worst purchases I’ve made this year. I’ll have the new 4K HDR FireTVs in hand tomorrow. Ironically, the fireTV has been the best 4K streamer (Shield is a close second) for me but lacked HDR capability. Hopefully they didn’t screw anything up with this new version.
Al Leong likes this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #1263 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
jba87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
if you need any calibration you should contact him, he's one of the top guys in the business.
That's for sure. D-Nice's calibration worked wonders on my 77W7 and 65G6!
jba87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1264 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
What brightness setting are you using?

ISF Dark
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50

Blacks are being crushed. It can be calibrated out but apparently things have changed. I'll have to throw in my Spears & Munsil calibration disk to see what's going on.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

Last edited by petmic10; 10-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.
petmic10 is offline  
post #1265 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Keep in mind that the 4K HDR/DV Apple encodes are different than the UHD BD encode. I’ve examined quite a few Apple encodes that are over saturated compared to their UHD BD counterparts. I pre order 5 of the ATV 4K and feel they are the worst purchases I’ve made this year. I’ll have the new 4K HDR FireTVs in hand tomorrow. Ironically, the fireTV has been the best 4K streamer (Shield is a close second) for me but lacked HDR capability. Hopefully they didn’t screw anything up with this new version.
I'm curious what makes the fireTV the best? Do you mean the interface, or are you talking about picture quality? Why is it better than the Shield for you?
noobtv is offline  
post #1266 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
ISF Dark
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
I have my brightness at 51..maybe try upping it between 51 and 52.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1267 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I have my brightness at 51..maybe try upping it between 51 and 52.
Sorry, I edited my post. I'll give it a try but from what I'm seeing black level has to be set to High and gamma at 2.2 for me to get any kind of detail in dark scenes.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1268 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
dabrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey,


So with HDR content using Technicolor Picture mode dynamic contrast is already turned on to low by default. My question is should I be turning it on low for regular 4K SDR content or leaving it it's default of off?


As for everything else just leave settings as is? I'm honestly not a fan of 2.2 gamma and feel it washes out the image slightly. BT.1886 with the Oled light set to 60(default under ISF dark room) seems to be the sweet spot between non crushed blacks and inky blacks. Obviously using the Technicolor Picture mode the Oled light is set to 80 which I would imagine I leave as well?

Last edited by dabrit; 10-25-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more info
dabrit is offline  
post #1269 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
ISF Dark
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50

Blacks are being crushed. It can be calibrated out but apparently things have changed. I'll have to throw in my Spears & Munsil calibration disk to see what's going on.
You didn't like OLED Light at 80?
Al Leong is offline  
post #1270 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post
Hey,


So with HDR content using Technicolor Picture mode dynamic contrast is already turned on to low by default. My question is should I be turning it on low for regular 4K SDR content or leaving it it's default of off?


As for everything else just leave settings as is? I'm honestly not a fan of 2.2 gamma and feel it washes out the image slightly. BT.1886 with the Oled light set to 60(default under ISF dark room) seems to be the sweet spot between non crushed blacks and inky blacks. Obviously using the Technicolor Picture mode the Oled light is set to 80 which I would imagine I leave as well?
It's a great starting point for most people to find their preferences, I've been ok with stock setting so far.

Thread note: I've hit my first underwhelming HDR disc title with Emoji Movie that I'm watching now. This is after 40 movies all mindblowing. It's the first that doesn't look like everything else and that's because it's mastered dark.. Colors look great (sound is great) but the HDR demand on this film look darker than SDR regular Blu-ray. If the kids wasn't watching it I would stop it asap. I always advise to keep watching different content because in most cases it's not the TV, the content suck.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-25-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1271 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
You didn't like OLED Light at 80?
No. Must of my viewing is in a dark room and OLED light at 80 is too much for my eyes.
Al Leong likes this.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1272 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
No. Must of my viewing is in a dark room and OLED light at 80 is too much for my eyes.
Try brightness up to 60 (and adjust around there to satisfaction). See how you like that, it will boost lower blacks where OLED light is usually the agent. Otherwise, would be time to call in a calibrator to help out.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1273 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
JakiChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is the European firmware safe to run on an American TV? (Only thing I could think is expecting 50fps content.)
JakiChan is offline  
post #1274 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just to update, I popped in my Spears & Munsil calibration disk into my OPPO UDP203 and the Low Pluge pattern was not even visible until I put Black Level to High.

This was a quick calibration for SDR. It looks very good for a 1/2 hour worth of work. Plenty of detail in dark scenes like I remember. Once the tv has a few hundred hours on it I'll pull out my meter and do a full calibration.

ISF Dark:
Color Temp: Warm 2
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 48
H Sharp: 10
V Sharp: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Black Level: High
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion: Off
White Balance & Color Management at Default

Something screwy is going on after this update. This is my second panel. My first panel was exchanged because of severe banding. It calibrated very differently. My new tv has less banding so I immediately updated to the new firmware but something looked off to my eyes. I guess I'm the only one having this problem?

Maybe I should try a factory reset?

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1275 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Just to update, I popped in my Spears & Munsil calibration disk into my OPPO UDP203 and the Low Pluge pattern was not even visible until I put Black Level to High.

This was a quick calibration for SDR. It looks very good for a 1/2 hour worth of work. Plenty of detail in dark scenes like I remember. Once the tv has a few hundred hours on it I'll pull out my meter and do a full calibration.

ISF Dark:
Color Temp: Warm 2
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 48
H Sharp: 10
V Sharp: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Black Level: High
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion: Off
White Balance & Color Management at Default

Something screwy is going on after this update. This is my second panel. My first panel was exchanged because of severe banding. It calibrated very differently. My new tv has less banding so I immediately updated to the new firmware but something looked off to my eyes. I guess I'm the only one having this problem?

Maybe I should try a factory reset?
How many hours does your panel have? It takes a few comp cycles for the panel to settle and that can effect brightness.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1276 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Try brightness up to 60 (and adjust around there to satisfaction). See how you like that, it will boost lower blacks where OLED light is usually the agent. Otherwise, would be time to call in a calibrator to help out.
Thanks for the help. I have my own meter I calibrate with. Something is/was off. I have a good idea what a calibrated picture looks like. I've been staring at a calibrated Pioneer Kuro for the better part of 9 years.

But I do like the new Technicolor mode though. I read your thoughts on it and I was skeptical but something about it is pleasing.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1277 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
How many hours does your panel have? It takes a few comp cycles for the panel to settle and that can effect brightness.
Brand new, maybe 4 hours. My old panel calibrated differently with minimal hours also. The only difference is the firmware. I don't mind, the picture looks phenomenal. Just has to be calibrated differently.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1278 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Just to update, I popped in my Spears & Munsil calibration disk into my OPPO UDP203 and the Low Pluge pattern was not even visible until I put Black Level to High.

This was a quick calibration for SDR. It looks very good for a 1/2 hour worth of work. Plenty of detail in dark scenes like I remember. Once the tv has a few hundred hours on it I'll pull out my meter and do a full calibration.

ISF Dark:
Color Temp: Warm 2
OLED Light: 40
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 48
H Sharp: 10
V Sharp: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Black Level: High
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion: Off
White Balance & Color Management at Default

Something screwy is going on after this update. This is my second panel. My first panel was exchanged because of severe banding. It calibrated very differently. My new tv has less banding so I immediately updated to the new firmware but something looked off to my eyes. I guess I'm the only one having this problem?

Maybe I should try a factory reset?
This is the first post I've seen where an owner with calibrated settings are not translating to the update, interesting to see other's results. This was anticipated by a few owners as a possibility with existing calibrations.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1279 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Brand new, maybe 4 hours. My old panel calibrated differently with minimal hours also. The only difference is the firmware. I don't mind, the picture looks phenomenal. Just has to be calibrated differently.
@jjref - what I thought.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1280 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,225
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
I'm curious what makes the fireTV the best? Do you mean the interface, or are you talking about picture quality? Why is it better than the Shield for you?
PQ, interface, usability. The Shield has colorspace issues sometimes where it will use the wrong color gamut with content (i.e. Rec2020 on 1080p content).
noobtv likes this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #1281 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Brand new, maybe 4 hours. My old panel calibrated differently with minimal hours also. The only difference is the firmware. I don't mind, the picture looks phenomenal. Just has to be calibrated differently.
Yeah your panel has to settle, mine was crushing as well when out of the box...after a few cycles it will change...and then you can adjust your brightness accordingly.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1282 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petmic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah your panel has to settle, mine was crushing as well when out of the box...after a few cycles it will change...and then you can adjust your brightness accordingly.
Ok, good to know. Thanks for your help.
Cam1977 likes this.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
petmic10 is offline  
post #1283 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
Ok, good to know. Thanks for your help.
Oh no prob...i learned about that on here as well.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1284 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Don't know what other owners are seeing progressively but I'm watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes from the 4K UHD 3-movie set and it's flawless.. every low level black shadow detail, every motion, flawless.. tones, color hues.. all in the pocket. This is just the 2011 movie.. I watched the Dawn disc on the A1E and that was excellent and the more modern made movie, but I'm going through all 3 right now tonight.. the first film is just immaculate so far.. so was Harry Potter order of the Phoenix last night.

The motion here is 1:1 as the A1E.. I've watched the A1E more than likely any other owner in the world. I can back that up.

This is reference performance. What in the heck can they do in 2018 but mess it up?
Cam1977 likes this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-25-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1285 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Don't know what other owners are seeing progressively but I'm watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes from the 4K UHD 3-movie set and it's flawless.. every low level black shadow detail, every motion, flawless.. tones, color hues.. all in the pocket. This is just the 2011 movie.. I watched the Dawn disc on the A1E and that was excellent and the more modern made movie, but I'm going through all 3 right now tonight.. the first film is just immaculate so far.. so was Harry Potter order of the Phoenix last night.

The motion here is 1:1 as the A1E.. I've watched the A1E more than likely any other owner in the world. I can back that up.

This is reference performance. What in the heck can they do in 2018 but mess it up?

Probably trying to get over 1000 nits I assume.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1286 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Probably trying to get over 1000 nits I assume.
I think so but it's redundant.. OLED as a high end viewing device is best in dark environments.. the end of the planetarium scene in La La Land and the attack on Hogwarts in Hallows part 2 and the Kryptonite staff close up in Batman Vs Superman: all have hurt my eyes with 2017 nit peaks in HDR.

it will be overkill..
Al Leong is offline  
post #1287 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,688
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I think so but it's redundant.. OLED as a high end viewing device is best in dark environments.. the end of the planetarium scene in La La Land and the attack on Hogwarts in Hallows part 2 and the Kryptonite staff close up in Batman Vs Superman: all have hurt my eyes with 2017 nit peaks in HDR.

it will be overkill..
Agreed...i don't see the reason to make these too bright where you get headaches, but I'm pretty sure other companies are pushing lg.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #1288 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Member
 
berniesidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Don't know what other owners are seeing progressively but I'm watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes from the 4K UHD 3-movie set and it's flawless.. every low level black shadow detail, every motion, flawless.. tones, color hues.. all in the pocket. This is just the 2011 movie.. I watched the Dawn disc on the A1E and that was excellent and the more modern made movie, but I'm going through all 3 right now tonight.. the first film is just immaculate so far.. so was Harry Potter order of the Phoenix last night.

The motion here is 1:1 as the A1E.. I've watched the A1E more than likely any other owner in the world. I can back that up.

This is reference performance. What in the heck can they do in 2018 but mess it up?
Al... I think you may have posted your technicolor settings in a previous post.

If you don't mind can you please share again what settings you are using for 4k UHD discs.

Thanks
berniesidney is offline  
post #1289 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 PM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniesidney View Post
Al... I think you may have posted your technicolor settings in a previous post.

If you don't mind can you please share again what settings you are using for 4k UHD discs.

Thanks
Thanks for this question because I was about to post a note that will be a part of this response:

I use the stock setting for 4K UHD, untouched. Dynamic Contrast LOW (for Active HDR). Edge Enhancer OFF. Sharpness OFF. TruMotion Custom with DeJudder and DeBlur both on 2.

Here is where I think what I'm seeing and other members are is at an indifference:

The very best 4K UHD player here is the OPPO 203 - I'm not sure what other owners are doing but I'm forcing the 12-bit Color Depth in the OPPO 203, using Source Direct and Custom 4K mode, 4:2:2 color space. I'm doing forced 12 bit color for SDR Blu-ray Discs also (The Avengers, watch that).

Dolby Vision is 12-bit color depth also. HDR10 Discs forced in 12 bit from OPPO in my opinion is superior to DV using Technicolor Expert mode.

I'm on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes now.. and with the configuration above.. there is nothing in the world.. that damn Panasonic, whatever, touching this PQ on this config.. the Panasonic does 10-bit.. no more.

I'm desperate to find better if anyone can point to it.. please let me know.

BTW: watch the opening scene in this Dawn disc (in the exact above config) and anyone let me know what kind of motion issue the LG 7 is supposed to still be having.

To be clear to my A1E brethren.. the A1E doesn't do forced 12 bit at this time..

There is a difference.. that extra 2-bits is not a passive technicality.. any serious videophile will likely see it as a very big deal for PQ.

Anyone with the OPPO trying this (forced 12 bit) watch Planet Earth II and The Revenant and let me know your thoughts..

(note: the OPPO is going to produce flashes on the screen in this config between playback and menu, it's worth it for disc playback performance, have to live with it same as with DV discs)

P.s. I was watching Arrival 4K disc in the above forced 12-bit config.. that's what made me buy the G7 on the spot to replace the A1E.

This is Holy Grail folks

Oh and Mad Max Fury Road 4K disc.. watch that.. the sand storm car chase.. come to God TV moment.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-25-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Al Leong is offline  
post #1290 of 2732 Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Member
 
berniesidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Thanks for this question because I was about to post a note that will be a part of this response:

I use the stock setting for 4K UHD, untouched. Dynamic Contrast LOW (for Active HDR). Edge Enhancer OFF. Sharpness OFF. TruMotion Custom with DeJudder and DeBlur both on 2.

Here is where I think what I'm seeing and other members are is at an indifference:

The very best 4K UHD player here is the OPPO 203 - I'm not sure what other owners are doing but I'm forcing the 12-bit Color Depth in the OPPO 203, using Source Direct and Custom 4K mode, 4:2:2 color space. I'm doing forced 12 bit color for SDR Blu-ray Discs also (The Avengers, watch that).

Dolby Vision is 12-bit color depth also. HDR10 Discs forced in 12 bit from OPPO in my opinion is superior to DV using Technicolor Expert mode.

I'm on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes now.. and with the configuration above.. there is nothing in the world.. that damn Panasonic, whatever, touching this PQ on this config.. the Panasonic does 10-bit.. no more.

I'm desperate to find better if anyone can point to it.. please let me know.

BTW: watch the opening scene in this Dawn disc (in the exact above config) and anyone let me know what kind of motion issue the LG 7 is supposed to still be having.

To be clear to my A1E brethren.. the A1E doesn't do forced 12 bit at this time..

There is a difference.. that extra 2-bits is not a passive technicality.. any serious videophile will likely see it as a very big deal for PQ.

Anyone with the OPPO trying this (forced 12 bit) watch Planet Earth II and The Revenant and let me know your thoughts..

(note: the OPPO is going to produce flashes on the screen in this config between playback and menu, it's worth it for disc playback performance, have to live with it same as with DV discs)

P.s. I was watching Arrival 4K disc in the above forced 12-bit config.. that's what made me buy the G7 on the spot to replace the A1E.

This is Holy Grail folks
Thanks Al

I'm still confused regarding Edge Enhancer. I believe LG has stated when set to ON it is actually bypassed when in HDR mode.

Can you see a difference with Edge Enhancer turned OFF or ON? I can't.
berniesidney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off