2017 LG OLED E7/G7 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10715Likes

post #1321 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I trust Technicolor understand the value of a premium HDMI cable enough to certify it with their name:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/soluti...mage-certified
That's not quite fair. Now you're comparing a $120 active cable, with an actual video processor in it, to a $1500 passive cable with no actual science behind it. Now this cable is a cable I could get behind. I'd at least want to demo it. It's doing actual processing, which obviously could make a difference.

It sounds like you decided to run these from source to AVR? Or would it make more sense to run these from AVR to TV to process/clean up all images?

Quote:
Cables matter.. Technicolor believe it, I believe it, this part of my commentary on the matter, is over.
Have they licensed a purely passive cable yet? I'd be interested. That cable is pretty cheap for something with the Technicolor name on it.

I'm all for overkill. My home WiFi is a 3802i ($1650 list) and a 2802i ($1250 list) running off a 3504 controller ($5000 list). Of course I didn't pay list price, but trust me, I way overspent on my home wifis. Although, I could prove that my WiFi is faster...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post

I'm all for overkill. My home WiFi is a 3802i ($1650 list) and a 2802i ($1250 list) running off a 3504 controller ($5000 list). Of course I didn't pay list price, but trust me, I way overspent on my home wifis. Although, I could prove that my WiFi is faster...
Wow. I get full 2000 sq ft home coverage and then some with my $300 set of two Orbis.
post #1323 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
That's not quite fair. Now you're comparing a $120 active cable, with an actual video processor in it, to a $1500 passive cable with no actual science behind it. Now this cable is a cable I could get behind. I'd at least want to demo it. It's doing actual processing, which obviously could make a difference.

It sounds like you decided to run these from source to AVR? Or would it make more sense to run these from AVR to TV to process/clean up all images?

Have they licensed a purely passive cable yet? I'd be interested. That cable is pretty cheap for something with the Technicolor name on it.

I'll be checking out all the cables. I'll be able to speak on them more once I see them all in action.

I'm not comparing the Diamond and never said other cables are not good. I just want Diamond cables, my pro sales guys all agree Diamond is the audiophile top selection, opined from the same guys who try to sell me every new $25K tower speaker that hits the market..

I'm going to point these 2 to my SACD rig and the ST5000 that will be on the G7.

For video, I'm going with the Technicolor certified mCables because they have the USB power, which I want a cable that ensure the proper electrical current is present to secure the best performance of data transfer.

If you have or can get FIOS, you can not only get 1GB fiber, but FIOS extenders ($99 each) to place all over the home that can connect to a room COAX ports and give you the best mesh possible. I have about 3 of these FIOS extenders and have never had a wireless issue since.

In this case, my WIFI does 500mbps out of that 1GB ethernet capable speed.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-26-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 03:51 PM

The kids have been taking over the W7 in the evenings before bedtime.. the kids 4K UHDs are really great displays of color performance so I get to also enjoy these. Captain Underpants 4K UHD is just a beautiful color fest to look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5670.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	2305532  
post #1325 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton2015 View Post
Hi all. Interesting comment on the technicolour setting over on the U.K. AVForums.
Attachment 2305334
Yep, that's exactly what they said in the calibration thread over here. Nice to have an extra spot to store settings though.
post #1326 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Yep, that's exactly what they said in the calibration thread over here. Nice to have an extra spot to store settings though.
You guys take this banter to the baby OLED C7 forums.

Everyone who owns here can see what the FW delivers. Stop pushing your colorblind and unsophisticated amateur ideals here where I know I didn't pay a premium for my G7 (and W7) to entertain what some entry level C or B owners think they know on the subjects discussed here.

Anyone who takes OLED seriously goes E or up. So just stop the nonsense.

What I don't need to read when I frequent here is some my-first-OLED inexperienced opinions still slap happy seeing 0% blacks for the first time.

If you don't own a Signature 7 or E7, you shouldn't even be posting in here.

Technicolor got it all wrong, nothing but a sham.. says the all knowing C and B owners.. #4 and #5 on the LG food chain.. Let's all put down the FW folks...

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-26-2017 at 08:19 PM.
post #1327 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone who owns here can see what the FW delivers.

What I don't need to read when I frequent here is some my-first-OLED inexperienced opinions still slap happy seeing 0% blacks for the first time.

Lol!

How's that emptiness? Still waiting to be filled by the G7? Be sure to let everyone know how much it fulfills all your needs in life with it's divine Technicolor picture clarity carried over magic diamond wires.

After the requisite breaking-in period that only true videophile OLED masters would be aware of, of course.

Also, didn't you say you blocked my posts? Might be time for you to do that. Pretty please?

I'll post wherever I want thanks.

I got the Technicolor update yesterday and was not impressed. I only saw it for a few minutes because I have a life outside watching TV, but it just looked like a darker version of my Cinema User.

There were no fireworks going off or bands of angels lowering the TV down from heaven...

Just like lots of other people who have also posted about it being nothing special - but they were probably just baby-eyed OLED virgins who couldn't possibly understand the divine beauty they were truly witnessing.

When I'm in need of the advice of a gullible fool who believes in magic cables, I'll be sure to ask.

Do I have to buy a G7 first?
video_analysis likes this.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-26-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #1328 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
There were no fireworks going off or bands of angels lowering the TV down from heaven...
You're not going to get the best TV performance from Kodi streams. The Technicolor Expert picture mode isn't really for C and B owners struggling to see something training-wheels elementary like HDR in YouTube.

I'd expect a 4K UHD disc and image fidelity using Technicolor Expert to be a concept lost on a C or B owner using a XBOX One S controller to press play.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-26-2017 at 08:43 PM.
post #1329 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone who owns here can see what the FW delivers. Stop pushing your colorblind and unsophisticated amateur ideals here where I know I didn't pay a premium for my G7 (and W7) to entertain what some entry level C or B owners think they know on the subjects discussed here.

Technicolor got it all wrong, nothing but a sham.. says the all knowing C and B owners.. #4 and #5 on the LG food chain.. Let's all put down the FW folks...
Oh, didn't see your edits until now.

Unlike yourself, I don't put a large amount of importance on a sticker.

This will probably be very difficult for you to understand, but some people look to spend the least they can to get what they want. They don't place their self-worth in the brand of car they drive or TV they watch, and they literally don't care what others might think when they see that they have bought the number 4 or 5 in an arbitrarily-decided-on-the-whims-of-a-group-of-business-managers-to-extract-the-most-amount-of-money-from-consumers range of products that all serve exactly the same purpose.

In fact, they don't care so much that they just enjoy the things they have and literally don't even consider where in the pecking order someone else might place them when they buy something that serves their purposes.

They don't look to spend the most they can so they can exclaim, "look at me, I bought the best, I must be important! I'm someone."

These people don't value possessions over other things in life. They still purchase things they want to serve a purpose, but never attach any of their own self-worth to those possessions.

These people don't "take OLED seriously". And they aren't interested in what someone who does "take OLED seriously" might think. In fact, if they were interested, they would only be interested to the extent that they feel sorry for someone who did, because that would really be a sad, pathetic life to lead.
Ken Ross, JakiChan, amasur and 2 others like this.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-26-2017 at 09:05 PM.
post #1330 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wow this thread has been derailed.... Anyways is anyone else having issues getting the new LG Channel Plus app feature to work? I installed the app I go into it and al that happens is it goes to a black screen??

Any ideas what the problem is? I have an Ethernet connection.

Is this possibly not available because I live in Canada?
post #1331 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll be checking out all the cables. I'll be able to speak on them more once I see them all in action.
I dropped them an email. Their HQ is literally around the corner from where I work. I'm hoping I can see a quick demo somewhere (and then buy quickly before I build things out.)

Quote:
If you have or can get FIOS, you can not only get 1GB fiber, but FIOS extenders ($99 each) to place all over the home that can connect to a room COAX ports and give you the best mesh possible. I have about 3 of these FIOS extenders and have never had a wireless issue since.
I don't need mesh. I never like using a radio for backhaul. And since my APs (at least one or them) and my switch and controller are MGIG/NBaseT capable I should be able to get just north of a gig on my 3SS wave 1 Apple devices. If Apple would release a wave 2 capable device I'd do almost 2 gigs. I know I can get pretty close to 1.7 with a wave 2 client on this hardware.
post #1332 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Wow. I get full 2000 sq ft home coverage and then some with my $300 set of two Orbis.
And that works for most people. But if you do this for a living you want the same gear at home that you have at work. I want well north of a gig on wifi, I want 802.11r for my iOS devices...and of course I wanna find out what Cisco broke this time before it breaks at work.
post #1333 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And that works for most people. But if you do this for a living you want the same gear at home that you have at work. I want well north of a gig on wifi, I want 802.11r for my iOS devices...and of course I wanna find out what Cisco broke this time before it breaks at work.
I'm just curious what you're downloading that you need a gig a second over the web. wow. that seems beyond overkill for one person. oh well.
post #1334 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I'm just curious what you're downloading that you need a gig a second over the web. wow. that seems beyond overkill for one person. oh well.
Oh, my internet connection isn't that fast. Comcast tops out at 250. This is LAN speed.

It's like Silicon Valley is the ghetto for broadband...
post #1335 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, my internet connection isn't that fast. Comcast tops out at 250. This is LAN speed.

ah ok. so moving files around locally.
post #1336 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So... you've never been to Australia.
post #1337 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Lol I live in the U.K. and in my area we don’t even have fibre. My WiFi / internet speed is 11mbps lol

It would take me a month to download something you do in 5 mins lol

Thankfully Netflix copes really well with the slower speed but Amazon has no chance ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1338 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 PM
aaz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Netgear Orbi does support 802.11r, and it does get me 500Mbps, however what does that have to do with LG OLED? Well, a while back I mentioned to another member writing about burn in that it's not really a problem because these forums are like a magnet for people having problems and if there was a problem we would see much more of it than 5 users on this forum. If you want to get a taste of how bad it can get try viewing a netgear forum - even though mine is working great it's constantly new users asking for help with the same thing over and over. I am pretty sure they have a problem, unlike the LG displays that I don't see a problem with in general. (besides the occasional lemon)

Family Room: Sony XBR-65A1E | Yamaha YSP 5600 | Sunfire HRS10 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4K | Sony BDP-S6200 | (soon) XBox One X | Harmony Ultimate one
Living Room: Panasonic 65VT30 | Yamaha YSP 4300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4 | PS3 | Harmony | Harmony one
Bedroom: LG 43UJ6300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 3 | Harmony one
post #1339 of 2732 Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Al... help us out here.

Please explain the differences between the C7 and E7/G7 and how the those difference effect the PQ with the new Technicolor FW update.

Thanks
post #1340 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 113
2017 LG OLED E7/G7 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniesidney View Post
Al... help us out here.

Please explain the differences between the C7 and E7/G7 and how the those difference effect the PQ with the new Technicolor FW update.

Thanks

I highly doubt there is one as far as I know the PQ is the same from B-G. In the UK shootout they used a B in the US they used an E. Same results basically LG won.

Had they made a 77” C7 I would have bought that over a 77”G7. I didn’t need a sound bar and for my particular set up having just the panel would have been a better fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomcatTLC likes this.

LGOLED77G7P/65B6P - Oppo 203
Denon X6300H/Onkyo Tx NR3030; Atlona HDR HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Subs

Last edited by jayraysaiz; 10-27-2017 at 01:51 AM.
post #1341 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dude. Srsly. Troll harder. It's the same panel. Yeah, get the W and you get this interesting mounting option, but otherwise Mr. Hardcore Audophile is paying for a soundbar. A glorified soundbar.

You're not wrong - the firmware delivers. I saw it. It sold me on the TV.[/QUOTE]
post #1342 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniesidney View Post
Al... help us out here.

Thanks
The difference is the owner that's going to appreciate something like the Technicolor update is leaning towards critical viewing and will invest in the more prestigious set.

The C and B buyer are likely first time high-end TV owners, more focused on gaming than videophile viewing. Its not the hardware, the C and B delivers.. its the same panel.. but the user of the hardware of the C and B are less likely to be invested in the videophile hobby as much as the E+ owner.

When I speak with owners in this thread, there's a common foundation of understanding in the videophile hobby that exist. OPPO over XBOX for 4K UHD. Content source quality is priority to the viewing experience.

The conflict only happens when inexperienced C and B owners choose to chime in. The C and B owners who "get it" are not the ones with the disruptive commentary here.

Just because you own a V12 doesn't automatically qualify you as a pro to start racing in NASCAR.

Last edited by Al Leong; 10-27-2017 at 04:09 AM.
post #1343 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Dude. Srsly. Troll harder. It's the same panel. Yeah, get the W and you get this interesting mounting option, but otherwise Mr. Hardcore Audophile is paying for a soundbar. A glorified soundbar.

You're not wrong - the firmware delivers. I saw it. It sold me on the TV.
My commentary is not directed towards you, and other members where you're obviously on par with the subjects of this thread and back up your disagreeing positions with educated viewpoints.

Its to the members who are finding it prudent to disrupt the progressive discussions of this thread.
post #1344 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The difference is the owner that's going to appreciate something like the Technicolor update is leaning towards critical viewing and will invest in the more prestigious set.

The C and B buyer are likely new owners, more focused on gaming than videophile viewing. Its not the hardware, the C and B delivers.. its the same panel.. but the user of the hardware of the C and B are less likely to be invested in the videophile hobby as much as the E+ owner.

When I speak with owners in this thread, there's a common foundation of understanding in the videophile hobby that exist. OPPO over XBOX for 4K UHD. Content source quality is priority to the viewing experience.

The conflict only happens when inexperienced C and B owners choose to chime in. The C and B owners who "get it" are not the ones with the disruptive commentary here.

Just because you own a V12 doesn't automatically qualify you as a pro to start racing in NASCAR.
Oh my god, this is PURE GOLD! You just can't make this stuff up...

Just like that cringy guy from The Office.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-27-2017 at 06:52 AM.
post #1345 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 666
... ... Time for the Moderators to intercede ! It's a shame because myself being new to this Thread and OLED have found members involved in this "mud slinging" have at times offered some very informative and helpful input which has been beneficial to many. So please, in the consideration for those who read, add invaluable input, and enjoy being a part of this Thread let's keep things civil, educational, and enjoyable ... before the Mods do need to start banging their gavels.
b_scott and bob brennan like this.

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #1346 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... ... Time for the Moderators to intercede ! It's a shame because myself being new to this Thread and OLED have found members involved in this "mud slinging" have at times offered some very informative and helpful input which has been beneficial to many. So please, in the consideration for those who read, add invaluable input, and enjoy being a part of this Thread let's keep things civil, educational, and enjoyable ... before the Mods do need to start banging their gavels.
I agree. I'm done. I just couldn't help myself.

Edit: Actually I don't know. Reading it back, it feels like us unwashed C7 owners just got attacked for literally zero reason. Anyway I'll try to behave.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-27-2017 at 05:03 AM.
post #1347 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I agree. I'm done. I just couldn't help myself.

Edit: Actually I don't know. Reading it back, it feels like us unwashed C7 owners just got attacked for literally zero reason. Anyway I'll try to behave.
I've been following this thread for awhile now. I'm trying to decide between the E7 and the C7 to replace my Panasonic Plasma, so any discussion of differences is interesting to me. I do have a hard time justifying the ~$500 difference for a sound bar and cosmetics.
I just replaced my Oppo 83 with an Oppo 203, so I'm good there.
I've also been trying to decide between a Monoprice HDMI cable and a Blue Jeans HDMI cable.

Isn't it great to have these first-world problems?
TomcatTLC likes this.
post #1348 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Yes it is i just hate to see when someone jumps on a thread and constantly badgers and insults knowledgeable and respected members for they’re opinions. I just know i have ag7. Absolutely love it best tv i have ever owned. The panel might be the same as the b and c models but both my wife and i love rhe appearance of the pannel on glass the soundbar stand just looks awesome. We dont even use the soundbar . As far as cables i use the best i can afford. I had an incident recently wher having an incident with one of my devices a better cable solved the issue. Following this thread i have learned a lot that has helped me get the max enjoyment of this tv. Unfortunately when someone jumps in and starts slinging mud and insults and nasty pictures it sort of busts the bubble. One member on here is very deficated to his hobby and insulted for it. And yes I agree i love the new technicolor setting. Really hope we get back to business as usual.
Al Leong and TomcatTLC like this.
post #1349 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
AVS has always been good about having discussion with opposing view points. The "S" in AVS standing for Science meaning that if you are going to go against the grain, people will naturally want you to provide supporting material.

If you fail to do that and instead resort to talking over people or putting them down, then naturally things will deteriorate to backyard wars.

The claim that someone buying a lower cost model with identical PQ is a product of not valuing PQ isn't going to hold up well in any forum.

If you're going to make a case for high end cables creating a PQ difference when no insider, calibrator or respected industry professional can validate those claims, then skepticism is a valid response.

The burden of proof generally sits with the party taking the opposing position. Having said that, respect should always remain at the forefront of any engagement.
post #1350 of 2732 Old 10-27-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
God forbid anyone get excited about the LG OLED. Guess the Sony guys are the only ones who are happy with their displays and are able to take the great with the imperfect.

I have to agree with Al that a lot of noise comes from those new to OLED and a/v in general. Then you have members with a problem that literally rack up hundreds of posts complaining about their problem. Hopefully this thread gets on track, there are some great members who own this display and enjoy reading their posts. Plus DNice is over here too
Al Leong and TomcatTLC like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page