OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3359Likes

post #4981 of 8038 Old 06-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
So...what was the end-result? He just left? Did you try showing him content that shows the banding?

That sounds rough
Yeah he just left. My wife is pretty pissed. She has been talking to LG all this morning. It sounds like they are in the process of getting a 2nd appointment set up for a second opinion (due to her complaints) but I fear it will end the same way as the first. Now that I know they are inspecting the issue though I can do some setup like blocking out some of the light from the sliding door and using MY 5% IRE slide instead of their slideshow that goes from 90-10 IRE for a brief few seconds each stage. It's pretty hard to see banding when 9 out of 10 slides show 0 banding at all and then it shows up briefly for a few seconds. It's pretty BS that they don't even show 5% IRE and it's more BS that they do this via a phone app which doesn't pick up the issue. What a joke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 8038 Old 06-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Yeah he just left. My wife is pretty pissed. She has been talking to LG all this morning. It sounds like they are in the process of getting a 2nd appointment set up for a second opinion (due to her complaints) but I fear it will end the same way as the first. Now that I know they are inspecting the issue though I can do some setup like blocking out some of the light from the sliding door and using MY 5% IRE slide instead of their slideshow that goes from 90-10 IRE for a brief few seconds each stage. It's pretty hard to see banding when 9 out of 10 slides show 0 banding at all and then it shows up briefly for a few seconds. It's pretty BS that they don't even show 5% IRE and it's more BS that they do this via a phone app which doesn't pick up the issue. What a joke.
Get some cheap green garbage bags, cut them open and tape them over all the windows with blue tape. Make it dark.
Ruppgu likes this.
post #4983 of 8038 Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3747
I know people who have gone through bad experiences want to imply LG service is universally bad, but that's not necessarily the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I know people who have gone through bad experiences want to imply LG service is universally bad, but that's not necessarily the case.
I've been in constant contact with them for the past 3-4 months with various different reps. They are all completely clueless, incompetent and many seem to be offshore and don't even really understand the English language. It is incredibly annoying to keep repeating yourself and they don't even understand the words you are saying to them. They will pick one word they understand and offer a solution to it. It's like you're talking to an AI bot. My wife tried talking to them and mentioned the rep using the LG remote app to look at the problem and they were hopeless confused and hoping to resolve our issues with our "LG remote" and if we would like to purchase a replacement. I respectfully and completely disagree. As a customer, if I am not happy with their product they need to address that instead of pretending there is no issue. I would not be wasting so much of my time if there was no problem. Instead I have very rude and clueless people condescending me while I try to explain the problem to them and look for every possible way out that leads to them spending 0 money to address the actual problem.

//edit: Here's some more real life examples of how bad they are beyond the remote issue above. I first created a ticket but did not list the serial number so when they called me they said I had to create a new ticket... they couldn't possibly update the ticket with the information. That didn't stop them from wasting 30 minutes of time with many questions first before letting me know we couldn't go any further and must start over again. I create a second ticket with the serial and then they call me again and ask me ALL THE SAME QUESTIONS AS BEFORE. Then they say I need to contact the repair place. I call the repair place and they say LG hasn't created anything for me and I need to start with them again. I start another ticket with LG... same song and dance as the first 2 despite all my information being in their system. They tell me the repair place is full of crap and tell them to use a different term while getting an appointment set up. I call the repair place.... they say LG is completely incompetent and don't know what they're talking about. They won't look at my TV unless it's set up on LG's side for warranty work because they won't get paid. Go back to LG AGAIN and this time they finally seem to understand and now suddenly want screenshots of the issue (never asked for this in the past 1-2 months of talking with them). I give them these and they approve the panel swap. LG FINALLY set it up correctly and repair place orders the part. Sadly, the part takes 2 months to arrive. Then they come out and you know the rest. The LG rep refused to admit seeing anything, the repair guy sent was in the process of going blind and he didn't even understand the TV. I was not allowed to control the content and they used a slide show that doesn't go down to 5% IRE and they were using the TV in vivid mode (which they got mad when I tried to change it) and seemed upset that I wanted to watch the TV in a light controlled environment. Pretty sweet customer service. It's one thing to say, yes sir I see the bands but that is within spec. It's another thing to have a rigged process and claim there is 0 issue what so ever and not allow me to perform a valid test.

//edit 2: The fun continues... here's what today has been. More of the same from LG customer service. Here's what my wife is telling me...

Well, they started again with "what's wrong with the tv" and I was like, I was LITERALLY ON THE PHONE WITH YOU ALL DAY YESTERDAY. Please check my account, my husbands account, and when you've got the problem figured out let's talk about next steps.
Stridr69 likes this.

Last edited by Ruppgu; 06-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #4985 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
What a joke LG support is. This may be my last purchase of LG equipment.

Today was supposed to be my panel replacement. I already have gone through the song and dance of LG customer support for months. I sent them pictures clearly showing the issue and the panel swap was approved. However when the tech (the one I was warned about losing his eyesight due to diabetes) arrived he had me hook everything back up so he could run some tests on it. It seemed to be some slides that only go up to 10%. Also since it was via USB it was using different settings... it was in APS mode. I changed that to cinema at least but I didn't change the oled light so it was at 60-80 oled light which makes banding harder to see... not to mention the lights on and light pouring in the windows since it's 9am. Sure enough, he said he can't see any issue and loaded up LG via the support app on his phone. They couldn't see anything either because using a teleconferencing app on a phone is a joke for troubleshooting an banding issue. It can't pick up what you see in real life. I could still see the banding even in the horrible environment conditions but it was definitely less severe than seeing it in normal viewing conditions.

If you're in the market for a LG TV please be aware. This is the type of quality picture you will end up with because according to LG this is expected behavior! What a freaking joke.
What's it look like when you use the settings in the first post?

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion. This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time. *Please note your panel size and brand.

video_analysis - Slides Here's a link to the slides for those who want 10%, 100% and 0% through 5% for USB playback: https://mega.nz/#!f4Ig2ASC!iu7UrrzLI...uJqDY47lz-xYcs

Please follow these steps when taking pictures of your panel to post in this thread.

Settings

LG OLEDs
ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
post #4986 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
What's it look like when you use the settings in the first post?

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
I posted screenshots at the top of this page of my 5% and the bands in real content.
post #4987 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
I posted screenshots at the top of this page of my 5% and the bands in real content.
I saw that the settings were different, so it's hard to compare. You are clearly frustrated with the situation. I hope you find a solution that works. Good luck.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-12-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #4988 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I saw that the settings were different, so it's hard to compare. You are clearly frustrated with the situation. I hope you find a solution that works. Good luck.
The settings were as described for those screenshots. LG is happy with the screenshots. However, when the tech came to my place yesterday, they didn't let me change anything. They brought a USB stick with a slideshow of slides (which at best hit 10% but it was hard to tell because....) USB has different settings so it was in Vivid mode which highly masks banding. They got mad at me when I tried to change settings. Now we are fighting with LG to get a second opinion where I can show them the issue instead of the LG using biased testing to mask the issue.
post #4989 of 8038 Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get that you've had repeatedly bad experiences, and it may depend on the service tier for which you're eligible (I only had communication through the Signature support), but blanket statements and individual experience don't necessarily translate to all customers universally (ie. good experiences just don't generate the attention that negative ones do). That's all.
TravisPNW likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 06-12-2018 at 01:44 PM.
post #4990 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I contacted the service center regarding the tinting and horizontal lines on my replacement panel. They told me no screen is perfect and I should contact LG.

Fair enough. So I contacted LG and sent them the attached photos. Apparently they can't see any issue!! Do they need to get their eyes checked or is it me with the vision problem?

Blue on the far left, pink further to the right next to that and horizontal lines on the grey screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Gray.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	2415906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Gray.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	2415908   Click image for larger version

Name:	white.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2415910   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180614_193440.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	2415912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180614_193448.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	2415914  

Name:	20180614_193509.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	2415916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180614_193513.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	2415918  
Stridr69 likes this.
post #4991 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0m View Post
So I contacted the service center regarding the tinting and horizontal lines on my replacement panel. They told me no screen is perfect and I should contact LG.

Fair enough. So I contacted LG and sent them the attached photos. Apparently they can't see any issue!! Do they need to get their eyes checked or is it me with the vision problem?

Blue on the far left, pink further to the right next to that and horizontal lines on the grey screens.
Sorry to hear they are refusing to do anything remedy this issue for you. I have a small amount of tint that keeps me from having the panel calibrated. I have some banding that rarely shows which I can (almost) live with since there is no other option. I'd be really upset with your situation and I'd go squeaky wheel on them for a while to see if you can make them move.
chr0m likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2

Last edited by VidPro; 06-14-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #4992 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear they are refusing to do anything remedy this issue for you. I have a small amount of tint that keeps me from having the panel calibrated. I have some banding that rarely shows which I can (almost) live with since there is no other option. I'd be really upset with your situation and I's go squeaky wheel on them for a while to see if you can make them move.
Thanks, so mine is pretty bad right?

My previous panel didn't have this issue, it just had really bad vertical banding. I would actually much rather have the old panel back than this!

They definitely haven't heard the last of me, no way I'll be going quietly
post #4993 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My previous panel didn't have this issue, it just had really bad vertical banding. I would actually much rather have the old panel back than this!

They definitely haven't heard the last of me, no way I'll be going quietly
I think it's bad. Others may disagree with me, but a black and white movie should be black and white...more or less.

I've attached a pic of the minor tinting I have on my panel. You can do a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tint.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	2415920  
chr0m likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2

Last edited by VidPro; 06-14-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #4994 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I think it's bad. Other may disagree with me, bit a black and white movie should be black and white...more or less.

I've attached a pic of the minor tinting I have on my panel. You can do a lot better.
Yours looks very acceptable to me, my previous panel was similar
post #4995 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Yes, that is unacceptable.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
chr0m likes this.
post #4996 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Yes, that is unacceptable.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
But LG can't see what I'm talking about lol
post #4997 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I can see the pink and blue clear as day without even opening the thumbnails.
chr0m and Mothra3 like this.
post #4998 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whforde View Post
I can see the pink and blue clear as day without even opening the thumbnails.
You'd make a terrible LG support employee
dave1812dave likes this.
post #4999 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it's bad. Others may disagree with me, but a black and white movie should be black and white...more or less.

This is what mine looks like as well. Minor tinting but Chrom's panel is pretty severe with the red tinting. I would complain as well. Good luck with dealing with LG. It has been proven time and time again that their first line of defense is to deny there is an issue. Just keep at it. They are hoping you will give up.
post #5000 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Sorry to hear they are refusing to do anything remedy this issue for you. I have a small amount of tint that keeps me from having the panel calibrated. I have some banding that rarely shows which I can (almost) live with since there is no other option.
But does your tint show all the time or is it like mine and only shows on certain whites?

It didn't stop me from getting mine calibrated. Mine shows on either the left 1/3 or the right 1/3 of the screen depending on where I am sitting... and Chad B said it was a slight color uniformity issue. (Is that even the same thing as the tint people keep talking about?) It appears to be yellow and for the most part I just see it on the off white loading screen of my UHD player. Sometimes I'll see it on a snowy seen but those are so few and far between I really don't care.

My only real complaint with my panel and it's a small one. Banding is uniform and not noticeable. I've only seen it while running the Netflix torture test scenes on 2 shows I don't even watch. The dark gray grainy background looked horrible anyway.

Considering there is no viable alternative (LCD? LOL) I've accepted the fact my OLED isn't perfect (but it's pretty darn close... a lot closer than LCD) and moved on to enjoying it for what it is... an amazing display.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7

Last edited by TravisPNW; 06-14-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: ... fixed typo
post #5001 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
But does your tint show all the time or is it like mine and only shows on certain whites?

It didn't stop me from getting mine calibrated. Mine shows on either the left 1/3 or the right 1/3 of the screen depending on where I am sitting... and Chad B said it was a slight color uniformity issue. (Is that even the same thing as the tint people keep talking about?) It appears to be yellow and for the most part I just see it on the off white loading screen of my UHD player. Sometimes I'll see it on a snowy seen but those are so few and far between I really don't care.

My only real complaint with my panel and it's a small one. Banding is uniform and not noticeable. I've only seen it while running the Netflix torture test scenes on 2 shows I don't even watch. The dark gray grainy background looked horrible anyway.

Considering there is no viable alternative (LCD? LOL) I've accepted the fact my OLED isn't perfect (but it's pretty darn close... a lot closer than LCD) and moved on to enjoying it for what it is... an amazing display.
Only certain whites. The difference in the white color can be minor and it will seemingly disappear. It's minor, but I'm the type that cannot unsee things so it always draws my eye. I see it far more than I do banding. I won't get this TV calibrated in hopes that the next couple of generations solve or minimize these issues to the point of being well, a non issue.

post #5002 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Only certain whites. The difference in the white color can be minor and it will seemingly disappear. It's minor, but I'm the type that cannot unsee things so it always draws my eye. I see it far more than I do banding. I won't get this TV calibrated in hopes that the next couple of generations solve or minimize these issues to the point of being well, a non issue.
I have passed over 3 LG oleds panel replacement; to resume n°2 LGs Oleds and n°1 Panasonic Oled, the ultimate "hollywood at your home" 65EZ1000...better to say banding at your home!

My sales guy has offering me this week for the Russia 2018 work cup the NEW LG 65C8 in the pack with the LG SK10Y for 2300eur (instead of 3800 + 1000 = 4800eur list price).
At the beginning I was ready to put the order but I am so frustrated over all those replacements, has taken 1 year of my life, that even for 2300eur I 'm asking myself "are you really the masochist" at that point,

so maybe I'll go this WE and order Laser TV for 3keur...but I should comprise to washed blacks and contrast...but having the banding and DSE is even more unsupportable.

http://www.myfirstprojector.com/hise...than-a-lcd-tv/

looks promising before LG find the fix to their OLED panel, or Samsug jumps up with micro led or whatever for around 3keur

stay safe, I give up ;-) with LG oled

cheers
post #5003 of 8038 Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Who can blame you?

As for tinting, I have no complaints. OTOH, grayscale banding's a beach on my $16k panel. I can see it on way more than 2 shows, so you are blessed with some cleanliness if that is the only appearance of visibility. I expect the studios to finish killing off 3D by the end of my extended warranty at which time I may raise a fuss.
post #5004 of 8038 Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
What a joke LG support is. This may be my last purchase of LG equipment.

If you're in the market for a LG TV please be aware. This is the type of quality picture you will end up with because according to LG this is expected behavior! What a freaking joke.
Just par for the LG course, over years and years.. How many people got bootloop (BRICKED) LG phones and got nothing but a brush off?
post #5005 of 8038 Old 06-15-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What do you guys think of my screen tint? I feel it's pretty slight and liveable. I paid 2500 on ebay for this 65 inch c8 brand new. Since returning it would be hard and expensive and since I could have worse problems, I think I'm going to stick with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180613_175758_1529096038166.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2416480  
post #5006 of 8038 Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was pretty set on getting a 65" C8, but reading this thread starts to put me off...

Does every OLED panel suffer from banding and tinting? I know the C8 is still new but could you please bring me up to speed about the most common issues with the C8?

It's a big spend, and I don't want to find myself fighting with Customer Service and returns in the near future. Seems like no TV is a safe bet nowadays. *sigh*

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
post #5007 of 8038 Old 06-16-2018, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
I was pretty set on getting a 65" C8, but reading this thread starts to put me off...

Does every OLED panel suffer from banding and tinting? I know the C8 is still new but could you please bring me up to speed about the most common issues with the C8?

It's a big spend, and I don't want to find myself fighting with Customer Service and returns in the near future. Seems like no TV is a safe bet nowadays. *sigh*
The best I think anyone can say (some here will say otherwise and that we are just really unlucky or way too picky) is that you may have a “better” chance at finding an acceptable C8.
Zach_N85 likes this.

post #5008 of 8038 Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is that due to location? I'm in Israel and we get the European models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
post #5009 of 8038 Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Is that due to location? I'm in Israel and we get the European models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not location based. We’re all in the same pool.

post #5010 of 8038 Old 06-16-2018, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Let me add that it also depends on your tolerance for this type of thing. I’m a pixel peeper so I’m picky, but I think we get to be picky at these prices. My panel is probably one of the better ones out there and it still bugs me to no end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page