OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3184Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5521 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_theKRaken View Post
Here is my 65 A1E panel at 200 plus hours. What do you guys think? I rarely see it in content, although I don't really watch any "torture tests" and I haven't watched movies on like Blade Runner which brings it to the surface. I was planning on having D-nice calibrate it, but if I'm going to switch the panel, I shouldn't have him do it. Here is 5% gray and 10% gray. Slight pink tint on the right side of the screen, but its nothing I ever notice
That’s on the edge of acceptable to me. I would see how it does on some torture tests. Remember a torture test scene will probably show something no matter the panel so it might be a case of how much you can stand it.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5522 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Member
 
steve_theKRaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
That’s on the edge of acceptable to me. I would see how it does on some torture tests. Remember a torture test scene will probably show something no matter the panel so it might be a case of how much you can stand it.
Yeah the torture tests show it for sure. I haven't seen much of it in normal content. Then again I haven't watched much content that would show much of it I don't think. I watched the netflix movie "This is the End" which has quite a few hazy foggy scenes and I barely saw it. Have you tried out the movie on yours?

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
steve_theKRaken is offline  
post #5523 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,493
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked: 6706
Hello uniformity friends
I now have my 2nd LG 55C8 and I've taken some pictures "fresh" with as little time used on it as possible. In the shop on Tuesday when I checked it I didn't have time to do very much and I didn't actually check anything other than 5% on that day!

I'm pleased with this now. I can see on the thumbnails of these images (when placed all together) that the darker part on the right 1/3rd of the screen is visible at higher brightnesses, but for me in real life it disappears at 16%.

EDIT: I also use this as a test, it's very good if you can see past the stupid deep voice effect, thumping happy music and overly-casual approach. Checking for banding isn't supposed to be "fun"! Skip to 1m27s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 5%.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	2439674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 10% (a).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	840.8 KB
ID:	2439676   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 15%.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	2439678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 20%.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	750.9 KB
ID:	2439680   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 25%.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	2439682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809 LG C8 - 30%.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	674.4 KB
ID:	2439684  

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 08-28-2018 at 01:19 PM.
mrtickleuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5524 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Member
 
steve_theKRaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Hello uniformity friends
I now have my 2nd LG 55C8 and I've taken some pictures "fresh" with as little time used on it as possible. In the shop on Tuesday when I checked it I didn't have time to do very much and I didn't actually check anything other than 5% on that day!

I'm pleased with this now. I can see on the thumbnails of these images (when placed all together) that the darker part on the right 1/3rd of the screen is visible at higher brightnesses, but for me in real life it disappears at 16%.

EDIT: I also use this as a test, it's very good if you can see past the deep voice effect and thumping happy music. Checking for banding isn't supposed to be "fun"! Skip to 1m27s. https://youtu.be/dP4vEGREGD4
That banding actually looks pretty clean besides the darker spot on the right side. Do you notice that dark spot in normal content?

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
steve_theKRaken is offline  
post #5525 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_theKRaken View Post
Yeah the torture tests show it for sure. I haven't seen much of it in normal content. Then again I haven't watched much content that would show much of it I don't think. I watched the netflix movie "This is the End" which has quite a few hazy foggy scenes and I barely saw it. Have you tried out the movie on yours?
I’ll check it out tonight. Can you post a time stamp of where it’s shows up most?

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5526 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,493
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked: 6706
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_theKRaken View Post
That banding actually looks pretty clean besides the darker spot on the right side. Do you notice that dark spot in normal content?
Thankyou, yes I don't see any bands at all. The darker 1/3rd isn't visible in normal content. I've just checked the tests in the first post for those that I own (Interstellar, Prometheus, Star Trek Beyond). All passed fine

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #5527 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Member
 
steve_theKRaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I’ll check it out tonight. Can you post a time stamp of where it’s shows up most?
Honestly, I watched it before I even heard it mentioned as a torture test... so I wasn't looking for it initially. I don't actually have a timestamp. Maybe whoever mentioned it just had really bad banding because I didn't notice it at all while watching it.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
steve_theKRaken is offline  
post #5528 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Member
 
PaperLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
I'm still trying to get used to the vertical banding that comes up every now and again. I'm still stunned that these are considered "normal" by LG to some extent.

Now I'm seeing something else, and I'm not sure they are showing up due to some of the changes I've done to the set.

Best I can describe it is, during scenes at night (netflix 4K DV) if somebody has a flash light and slowly turn with the light with a pan, i see very quick black artifacts.

I've seen this in episodes of Stranger Things S2 and Jessica Jones S2. I rewind and watch again to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but the same artifacts exists. Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about? Pretty distracting to say the least, but don't know if this happens to maybe some settings on the OLED.

thx,
Hey I've noticed some very peculiar and unpleasant artifacts in dark scenes with flashlights on screen with my LG C8 55--the beam of light sort of... warps and distorts when moving. Best example I can think of is the first cave scene in Lost in Space. The description you gave doesn't exactly match up with what I see on that scene, but it's caused by motion interpolation in this case. For my scenario at least, turning off TruMotion completely fixed it.

I have seen this same issue in Stranger Things S2 as well, but mostly I've only noticed it on DV content.

I guess I would say that motion interpolation type artifact discussions should take place in the specific display model thread. If I had to guess you have an LG OLED, though.

LG 55 C8 OLED | Blue Sky eXo 2.1 | Apple 4K TV | DirecTV Now | Noisy Neighbors
PaperLion is offline  
post #5529 of 7472 Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
C*Tedesco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLion View Post
Hey I've noticed some very peculiar and unpleasant artifacts in dark scenes with flashlights on screen with my LG C8 55--the beam of light sort of... warps and distorts when moving. Best example I can think of is the first cave scene in Lost in Space. The description you gave doesn't exactly match up with what I see on that scene, but it's caused by motion interpolation in this case. For my scenario at least, turning off TruMotion completely fixed it.

I have seen this same issue in Stranger Things S2 as well, but mostly I've only noticed it on DV content.

I guess I would say that motion interpolation type artifact discussions should take place in the specific display model thread. If I had to guess you have an LG OLED, though.
Yeah, well I think that may be it, the TruMotion for me is set to on, but user mode, i put the settings at 2. But I will turn this off, and replay the scenes to see if I still see it.

Thanks,
C*Tedesco is offline  
post #5530 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Member
 
npsacobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have officially started the process. Spoke to LG this morning and was instructed to perform 3-5 pixel refreshes. If the dark blob is still a concern, they will send a tech out. Wish me luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.
npsacobra is offline  
post #5531 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
zeromothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Update:My new panel, while improved in the whites, continues to lag in any near black improvement, perhaps even getting a touch worse. This crap is getting old...
zeromothra is offline  
post #5532 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 AM
Member
 
JMensy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My AF8 ive had it just under a week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5%.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2440040   Click image for larger version

Name:	10%.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2440042   Click image for larger version

Name:	100%.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	849.5 KB
ID:	2440044  
mrtickleuk likes this.
JMensy is offline  
post #5533 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_theKRaken View Post
Yeah the torture tests show it for sure. I haven't seen much of it in normal content. Then again I haven't watched much content that would show much of it I don't think. I watched the netflix movie "This is the End" which has quite a few hazy foggy scenes and I barely saw it. Have you tried out the movie on yours?
Do you mean How it Ends? I can't find This is the End on Netflix.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5534 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Member
 
steve_theKRaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Do you mean How it Ends? I can't find This is the End on Netflix.
Hahahahaha yeah sorry it was a busy day yesterday. "how it ends" is the correct title

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
steve_theKRaken is offline  
post #5535 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Member
 
steve_theKRaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMensy View Post
My AF8 ive had it just under a week
That thing looks pretty clean actually!

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
steve_theKRaken is offline  
post #5536 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My 55" AF8 has cleaned up considerably between 24hrs and 36hrs. I could see banding in the Marco Polo test before and now I cannot.

A lot of darkness come out of the 5% - much happier with the set now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36hrs.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2440144   Click image for larger version

Name:	24hrs.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2440146  
VidPro, mrtickleuk and npsacobra like this.
Tommo53 is offline  
post #5537 of 7472 Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,493
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked: 6706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo53 View Post
My 55" AF8 has cleaned up considerably between 24hrs and 36hrs. I could see banding in the Marco Polo test before and now I cannot.

A lot of darkness come out of the 5% - much happier with the set now.
That's very impressive.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #5538 of 7472 Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Current full white screen. Not too bad. I can’t prove it, but the yellow tint on the left has gotten better. It also appears tp be slightly worse when I first put on the TV only to fade after a few minutes. Could all be in my head I guess but the overall look has improved since day one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B1D3BD-D64D-4CD2-BCA6-32925662EAE7.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2440392  
mrtickleuk likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5539 of 7472 Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
zeromothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Current full white screen. Not too bad. I can’t prove it, but the yellow tint on the left has gotten better. It also appears tp be slightly worse when I first put on the TV only to fade after a few minutes. Could all be in my head I guess but the overall look has improved since day one.
The yellow's always on the left it seems with these panels
zeromothra is offline  
post #5540 of 7472 Old 08-11-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,489
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
^^^ Could have something to do with the way the panels are cut from the mother glass. Look at the diagram in the bottom/left here. They stack (3) of the 65" panels with (2) of the 55" ones. I'm sure there are also other configurations as well if they are trying to crank out more of a particular size. White uniformity seems better on the 55" but of the ones I've seen with yellowing, it was usually at the top.

http://www.olednet.com/wp-content/up...80308_con2.jpg
Wizziwig is offline  
post #5541 of 7472 Old 08-11-2018, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
^^^ Could have something to do with the way the panels are cut from the mother glass. Look at the diagram in the bottom/left here. They stack (3) of the 65" panels with (2) of the 55" ones. I'm sure there are also other configurations as well if they are trying to crank out more of a particular size. White uniformity seems better on the 55" but of the ones I've seen with yellowing, it was usually at the top.

http://www.olednet.com/wp-content/up...80308_con2.jpg
Friend of mine bought his parents a 55” and the yellow tint is on top.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5542 of 7472 Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Member
 
bos617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 108
What do you guys think?
About 30 hours or so.

Think the top left will clear up?
Visible line in AMZ app.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_234325.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2440798

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
bos617 is online now  
post #5543 of 7472 Old 08-12-2018, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos617 View Post
What do you guys think?
About 30 hours or so.

Think the top left will clear up?
Visible line in AMZ app.Attachment 2440798

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Looks like that should get better. A little bright to tell, but I’d say keep stacking some auto cycles and check it again.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5544 of 7472 Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Member
 
bos617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Thanks VP.
I'm not sure.
It's looking pretty grim

Coming from a 55 E6 that was practically perfect.
I'm going keep running full screen media and throw some slides in as well and tack on the auto-comps.

What's the consensus? 100 hours and the TV is pretty much done settling?

Thanks.




Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
bos617 is online now  
post #5545 of 7472 Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos617 View Post
Thanks VP.
I'm not sure.
It's looking pretty grim

Coming from a 55 E6 that was practically perfect.
I'm going keep running full screen media and throw some slides in as well and tack on the auto-comps.

What's the consensus? 100 hours and the TV is pretty much done settling?

Thanks.


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I’d say by 100 hours you’ll know if the black blotches will be mostly gone. Minor banding seemingly can get better over time. I know on my set at 2300 hours banding that showed on some of the torture test scenes early in its life have dissipated to the point they pretty much don’t show up. That’s not to say new torture scenes have the same results. The bands show up at times I’d say not gonna happen but there they are.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5546 of 7472 Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Senior Member
 
zeromothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I give up. Watched 'How It Ends' last night (really bad movie IMO) and what an absolute Chit-Show it was on this replacement panel (@50 hours). Pink on the left side and at times on the right as well. During the whole movie it was constantly rearing its ugly head. Horror show visually. Just a joke. I just have no energy left for any full screen (zoom) 'babying' and break-in routine attempts. DONE.

Last edited by zeromothra; 08-13-2018 at 04:38 AM.
zeromothra is offline  
post #5547 of 7472 Old 08-13-2018, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromothra View Post
I give up. Watched 'How It Ends' last night (really bad movie IMO) and what an absolute Chit-Show it was on this replacement panel (@50 hours). Pink on the left side and at times on the right as well. During the whole movie it was constantly rearing its ugly head. Horror show visually. Just a joke. I just have no energy left for any full screen (zoom) 'babying' and break-in routine attempts. DONE.
I hear ya. Sucks when you spend that kind of money when something like this happens. #sympathetic

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #5548 of 7472 Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
joelkirzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'll chime in on my experience with banding/uniformity issues on OLEDs.

Over the past 2 years, I've owned the following OLEDs:
1 LG 55 B6
2 LG 55 B7A
1 LG 65 B7A
1 LG 65 E8
1 Sony 65 A1E

Of those 6 OLED TVs, only the Sony has exhibited vertical banding and uniformity issues.
The Sony, being one of the most expensive at over $3,500, really is a shocker.
When I first powered on the set, not only was there vertical banding, but there was SEVERE uniformity issues on the left hand side of the screen... kind of like dark blobs. I did a panel refresh overnight and that seemed to have fixed the dark blob issue. The banding is still there so I returned the TV to Amazon.

From my understanding, LG makes the panels for it's own TVs (obviously) and for Sony's. So, any vertical banding/uniformity issues in the LG lineup is going to show up potentially in the Sony lineup.

I really don't understand why there is banding at all on these panels. OLED pixel technology seems to be far superior to LCD/LED backlight/local dimming. Each pixel can be in an on/off state. Why is this even happening?!?
joelkirzner is offline  
post #5549 of 7472 Old 08-13-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,586
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Backplane tech is the primary cause, and the ability to apply current in such a way that consistently provides uniform luminance near black is a tough nut to crack. You've had a good run at the lottery.
video_analysis is offline  
post #5550 of 7472 Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
What do you guys think of my white uniformity? It had a bit of pink tint to it but it’s not noticeable in content.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F678CB48-17F9-4E89-ADA1-D4EDB65684A8.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2441244  

Last edited by Adamd; 08-13-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Adamd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off