OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3792Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6211 of 8909 Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi people im new One.
Someone say the last panel post September are good? I hear last panels are better then oldest. Its true? Thanks
Meagashira is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6212 of 8909 Old 11-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I fail, i hate to post in LG thread non in this topic.
Sorry.
Meagashira is offline  
post #6213 of 8909 Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Member
 
ApexAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
How are the panels now compared to the 2015 version (EF9500 if I remember)? Have they improved? Looking at a C8 and did not see any noticeable banding or vignetting on the BB floor model with some of the settings turned down and in standard / cinema modes. It might be there, but I could not see it on the content they had. I'm buying through Cleveland Plasma, so returns may not be as easy as say Costco, so curious what others thoughts are? My hope is they have improved it to some degree. This, coupled with a much lower price tag makes me think it's worth it now.

Also, why is the Sony so much more? I did not see a noticeable difference between the C8 and A9F. Certainly not a $2000 difference.
ApexAZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6214 of 8909 Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
How are the panels now compared to the 2015 version (EF9500 if I remember)? Have they improved? Looking at a C8 and did not see any noticeable banding or vignetting on the BB floor model with some of the settings turned down and in standard / cinema modes. It might be there, but I could not see it on the content they had. I'm buying through Cleveland Plasma, so returns may not be as easy as say Costco, so curious what others thoughts are? My hope is they have improved it to some degree. This, coupled with a much lower price tag makes me think it's worth it now.

Also, why is the Sony so much more? I did not see a noticeable difference between the C8 and A9F. Certainly not a $2000 difference.
Well the c8 has been out a lot longer and has had many price cuts while the a9f just came out. I have had both tvs and the Sony is a lot better on a lot of things. The upscaling, motion, sound is a lot better to name a few. The motion on the LG was so bad and stutters like crazy. If you use motion processing on the Lg it creates a ton of artifacts. Sonys processing is leagues better and best in the business.
I also noticed Sonys must have better binned panels because the uniformity/banding is a lot better then the 5 c8s I have seen.
Optics406 is offline  
post #6215 of 8909 Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi! Last Sunday there was a "Singles Day" promotion here where I live for and I pulled the trigger on a Philips OLED803 55 inches


So it has been less than a week and when I took the picture I don't know if the panel even had 10hours. I know I should wait longer but I am the curious kind.. I will check it later maybe once a week to see if I notice any differences in the 5%, but in real content I could barely notice anything, only full gray backgrounds like Amazon prime or Youtube. One thing I haven't understood yet is if the panels always improve with the compensation cycles or if they can get worse? So far this one looks good to me, no complaints on that front!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5percent-week1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	2484166  
mankomoo is offline  
post #6216 of 8909 Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
From my experience, banding never gets worse or better with age but dark spots do clear up. That panel is pretty good and you would be hard pressed to get a better one.
mankomoo likes this.
Optics406 is offline  
post #6217 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics406 View Post
From my experience, banding never gets worse or better with age but dark spots do clear up. That panel is pretty good and you would be hard pressed to get a better one.

I found a torture scene yesterday here in the forum, Mindhunter episode 8 around minute 45, a scene in an almost completely dark room (probably 1-3% gray). Oh boy, did I see all kinds of artifacts there xD Probably many from the stream itself, but also from the panel, there I could see the darker ares close to the top left corner, and also darker in the right edge. But then I switched to Godless full episode 1 in HDR and it looked gorgeous
mankomoo is offline  
post #6218 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Member
 
phusebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am on my second C8. The first had a lot of banding but also a much lighter left side. The second has less banding but a yellow tint on the left and I have to set brightness to over 65 to get a good result on the abs hd black bars screen.

Don't know if I want to go through the hassle of switching again. Both were produced in October 2018.
phusebox is offline  
post #6219 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My brand new Philips Oled 803 has a whole new form of uniformity issues, I really hope it goes away after the first cycle or I am returning yet another OLED. It has not been running any compensation cycles yet so I still have hope. But still??? What is that? Its not reflections, I have checked for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_125450.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	690.0 KB
ID:	2484384  
Jaxione is offline  
post #6220 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
My brand new Philips Oled 803 has a whole new form of uniformity issues, I really hope it goes away after the first cycle or I am returning yet another OLED. It has not been running any compensation cycles yet so I still have hope. But still??? What is that? Its not reflections, I have checked for that.

Those look very perfectly shaped, like something of a mold, maybe it was done inside the packaging or in the assembly? I really have no idea, I am glad my 803 didn't bring those.. :s You could try to do a manual compensation cycle, I think I saw the option somewhere in the all settings menu.
mankomoo is offline  
post #6221 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankomoo View Post
Those look very perfectly shaped, like something of a mold, maybe it was done inside the packaging or in the assembly? I really have no idea, I am glad my 803 didn't bring those.. :s You could try to do a manual compensation cycle, I think I saw the option somewhere in the all settings menu.
Yeah, if it doesent go away with the auto compensation cycle I will run a manual one. Really hope it clears because its close to perfect when it comes to white uniformity
Jaxione is offline  
post #6222 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,702
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6064 Post(s)
Liked: 8773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
My brand new Philips Oled 803 has a whole new form of uniformity issues, I really hope it goes away after the first cycle or I am returning yet another OLED. It has not been running any compensation cycles yet so I still have hope. But still??? What is that? Its not reflections, I have checked for that.
We've seen this before - as @mankomoo says, check the polystyrene packaging. I bet it's the same shape.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #6223 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
We've seen this before - as @mankomoo says, check the polystyrene packaging. I bet it's the same shape.
Actually not but it could still be that ofc, but screen had a cardboard shield and bottom front of the polystyrene is completly flat. After the first comp cycle I can only see it on a 5% slide. Hope it keeps improving. Anyways if it does not get noticably worse uniformity wise this is a keeper. So much better than my 2017 oled. See slide below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_161203.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	761.2 KB
ID:	2484434  
mankomoo likes this.
Jaxione is offline  
post #6224 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm happy to see an European brand doing alright with Oled
mankomoo is offline  
post #6225 of 8909 Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey,

55c6 owner here.

~400+ hours
Expert Dark room
OLED light at 35

What do you think?



Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF296213-7833-45F9-8D8E-41B9A0A6C164_1542587155287.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2484622  

Last edited by Ch4bs; 11-18-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Ch4bs is offline  
post #6226 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 01:54 AM
Senior Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 72
seeings these uniformitys makes me sad/jealous mine is horrid, cant take a proper looking pic but here you may see right side doesnt light up at all at 5%

thegam3 is offline  
post #6227 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
seeings these uniformitys makes me sad/jealous mine is horrid, cant take a proper looking pic but here you may see right side doesnt light up at all at 5%

Which model is that and how old is it?
Jaxione is offline  
post #6228 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 AM
Senior Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
Which model is that and how old is it?
55" B8

only got it Friday, have used it ALOT over the weekend hoping it will improve. cant say specifically how long, since UK model dont give you usage time
thegam3 is offline  
post #6229 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
55" B8

only got it Friday, have used it ALOT over the weekend hoping it will improve. cant say specifically how long, since UK model dont give you usage time
Try to run a manual pixel refresh, if that does not work I would return it for another B8 or try another model, that darker right side will show up in content.
Jaxione is offline  
post #6230 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 02:44 AM
Senior Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
Try to run a manual pixel refresh, if that does not work I would return it for another B8 or try another model, that darker right side will show up in content.
oh yes believe me, i see it in content(thats the reason i even looked at the 5% slide). any movie that has near blacks its unbearable. It results in shadow detail loss too

the only problem with return is i got rid of the box on the day, being very naive on the possibility of these problems. I was gonna give it a week but i ran the pixel refresh 3 nights in a row and nothing is improved so now waiting on them to ring me back to see what can be done

Last edited by thegam3; 11-19-2018 at 03:02 AM.
thegam3 is offline  
post #6231 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
oh yes believe me, i see it in content. any movie that has near blacks its unbearable. It results in shadow detail loss too

the only problem with return is i got rid of the box on the day, being very naive on the possibility of these problems. I was gonna give it a week but i ran the pixel refresh 3 nights in a row and nothing is improved so now waiting on them to ring me back to see what can be done
If they dont accept the return I would never buy anything from them again. Its clearly much worse than 99% of the slides posted here. Find a scene in a movie or series where its clearly visible and take pic and show them. Might be more convincing than a 5% slide.
Jaxione is offline  
post #6232 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 04:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
oh yes believe me, i see it in content(thats the reason i even looked at the 5% slide). any movie that has near blacks its unbearable. It results in shadow detail loss too

the only problem with return is i got rid of the box on the day, being very naive on the possibility of these problems. I was gonna give it a week but i ran the pixel refresh 3 nights in a row and nothing is improved so now waiting on them to ring me back to see what can be done
I would get a whole lot more hours on it and then re-evaluate - they change considerably in the first 100 hours, and dark areas in particular often brighten and clear up nicely.
iSeries is offline  
post #6233 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4bs View Post
Hey,

55c6 owner here.

~400+ hours
Expert Dark room
OLED light at 35

What do you think?



Many thanks
Apologies for the re-post but curious to know your opinion. Would this be considered ‘average’ or below-average? I’ve certainly seen c6/7 panels with better uniformity especially considering the fact that I’ve had this TV for about a year now.

Settings:

OLED light at 35
Picture preset: Expert Dark Room

Much appreciated
Ch4bs is offline  
post #6234 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4bs View Post
Apologies for the re-post but curious to know your opinion. Would this be considered ‘average’ or below-average? I’ve certainly seen c6/7 panels with better uniformity especially considering the fact that I’ve had this TV for about a year now.

Settings:

OLED light at 35
Picture preset: Expert Dark Room

Much appreciated
It doesn't look too bad to me. Yes, there have been better examples shown in this thread, but there have also been much, much worse examples. The important thing is whether it impacts your viewing regularly enough to the point of distraction. Even the best examples will show banding with some scenes.
iSeries is offline  
post #6235 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
If they dont accept the return I would never buy anything from them again. Its clearly much worse than 99% of the slides posted here. Find a scene in a movie or series where its clearly visible and take pic and show them. Might be more convincing than a 5% slide.
I took it back and they replaced it without a fuss (Currys) this replacement, atleast the 5% slide, is amazing so far

if anyo e has something similar to mine replace it!
mrtickleuk likes this.
thegam3 is offline  
post #6236 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
I took it back and they replaced it without a fuss (Currys) this replacement, atleast the 5% slide, is amazing so far

if anyo e has something similar to mine replace it!
Happy to hear that.

Sadly I noticed quite visible banding on my set now even though the slide looked so good. Saw the first episode of Haunting at Hill house on Netflix and its visible on pans over solid colour walls in low light scenes. Will give it some more time and see if it changes more........Man I was so happy, thought this was an obvious keeper.
Jaxione is offline  
post #6237 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
Happy to hear that.

Sadly I noticed quite visible banding on my set now even though the slide looked so good. Saw the first episode of Haunting at Hill house on Netflix and its visible on pans over solid colour walls in low light scenes. Will give it some more time and see if it changes more........Man I was so happy, thought this was an obvious keeper.
they're only going to get so good. if you have no obvious banding in 99% normal content then that's good. some of these shows with random scenes are just going to bring that out but don't let it bother you. my biggest issue with LCD banding is DSE on football, soccer, and hockey. i haven't seen any in my set so far so i consider that a win.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #6238 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Member
 
ApexAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics406 View Post
Well the c8 has been out a lot longer and has had many price cuts while the a9f just came out. I have had both tvs and the Sony is a lot better on a lot of things. The upscaling, motion, sound is a lot better to name a few. The motion on the LG was so bad and stutters like crazy. If you use motion processing on the Lg it creates a ton of artifacts. Sonys processing is leagues better and best in the business.
I also noticed Sonys must have better binned panels because the uniformity/banding is a lot better then the 5 c8s I have seen.
OK thank you. I decided to go with a vizio p quantum for now. If I could have returned the OLED easier, I would have probably tried that. But my 2015 LG panel lottery experience just made me too nervous with having limited exchange options.
ApexAZ is offline  
post #6239 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,110
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3968 Post(s)
Liked: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics406 View Post
Well the c8 has been out a lot longer and has had many price cuts while the a9f just came out. I have had both tvs and the Sony is a lot better on a lot of things. The upscaling, motion, sound is a lot better to name a few. The motion on the LG was so bad and stutters like crazy. If you use motion processing on the Lg it creates a ton of artifacts. Sonys processing is leagues better and best in the business.
I also noticed Sonys must have better binned panels because the uniformity/banding is a lot better then the 5 c8s I have seen.
Guess I'm lucky then cause my experience with the LG 65C8 has been the opposite. Uniformity is great, motion is fine (for basketball and football), TruMotion is disabled, and upscaling is artifact free. Can't speak to the audio because I run mine thru a receiver.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #6240 of 8909 Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
they're only going to get so good. if you have no obvious banding in 99% normal content then that's good. some of these shows with random scenes are just going to bring that out but don't let it bother you. my biggest issue with LCD banding is DSE on football, soccer, and hockey. i haven't seen any in my set so far so i consider that a win.
Guess you are right. Same here, have not seen anything on soccer or hockey. Hardly see anything in near black scenes either. Its just panning over solid color walls in low light scenes that brings the bands out.
Jaxione is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off