OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3824Likes

post #6361 of 8957 Old 12-06-2018, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can somebody take a look at my pic from the previous page and let me know what they think of my C8? I’m still in the exchange window and am unsure if my panel looks worse than average or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkDoomguy View Post
Can somebody take a look at my pic from the previous page and let me know what they think of my C8? I’m still in the exchange window and am unsure if my panel looks worse than average or not.

I exchanged 3 times and the panel that I kept looks pretty similar to this. I'd say that's average. From my experience, the chance of getting something worse is pretty high if you exchange.
post #6363 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
By the way, I've just realized that Twin Peaks S03E08 is a perfect test content for any type of banding and uniformity. From the 29th minute, for half an hour it's all shot in black in white, there's plenty of dark night scenes, gradients and all shades of gray. I was able to see my black blotch in several scenes perfectly.

Give it a try, I highly recommend it. Beware of the actual content though, it's David Lynch at his most
I’ll check it out.

Last night watched The Clovehitch Killer on iTunes. Talk about a raised black torture test. Anyway it’s a very good movie and a great test. My A1E did ok. I could definitely see some banding if I looked for it, but not enough to pull out of the story.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy Blue vertical line (E7 model)

Hi gang,

I wanted to add examples of my issue in the hopes that one of you knows what it is, why it's happening and how it can and would be fixed.

This is an example, but mine is visible but not as think. It's comes and goes alternating with a broken black like. This like is more visible on blue content, but it is clearly visible whenever it activates. Additionally, when the set is turned off it will pulse on and off on a black nothing screen until the tv's power goes click.

I'm not sure if it's just a panel (screen) issue or related to the motherboard or T-Con board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Vertical Line 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	2493232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Vertical Line 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2493234  
post #6365 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Whatever the issue is, you definitely need to contact LG.

post #6366 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys!

Just wanted to add my 55C8 (manufactured 11/2018, so quite fresh) to the archives. I'm quite shocked and disappointed actually.

I'm using picture mode isf Dark with OLED Light 35, Contrast 85 and Brightness 50. Gamma was set to BT.1886.

The panel has about 50 hours on it and did 12 auto compensation cycles. I also ran manual ones because the auto cycles haven't done anything at all.
Sadly, the manual pixel refresher didn't do anything either.

I always turned it off after 4 hours and only fed it varied, full screen content on Netflix. I even avoided 21:9 content and video games completely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2493456  
post #6367 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruit View Post
Hey guys!

Just wanted to add my 55C8 (manufactured 11/2018, so quite fresh) to the archives. I'm quite shocked and disappointed actually.

I'm using picture mode isf Dark with OLED Light 35, Contrast 85 and Brightness 50. Gamma was set to BT.1886.

The panel has about 50 hours on it and did 12 auto compensation cycles. I also ran manual ones because the auto cycles haven't done anything at all.
Sadly, the manual pixel refresher didn't do anything either.

I always turned it off after 4 hours and only fed it varied, full screen content on Netflix. I even avoided 21:9 content and video games completely.
I wouldn't play around with it. Just return or exchange it.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #6368 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I wouldn't play around with it. Just return or exchange it.
I wasn't planning on keeping it. I'm currently just debating whether I want to try my luck at the panel lottery.
Don't get me wrong, picture quality is otherwise excellent. No doubt about that.

No idea where all those extra empty lines in my first post came from, but it just tried to do that again.
Can't see an option to edit my post either, or maybe I'm blind.
post #6369 of 8957 Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have 2 rules when buying a set.

Don't look for defects if you cannot see any while watching normal viewing.

And if you see a defect that does not interfere with normal viewing then don't worry about it.

These guys that are throwing up all kinds of slides to see a line here or there and then returning 2 or 3 sets are one of the reasons why some sets are so expensive, manufactures have to build into their costs all these nonsense returns.

If you return a set for a defect that is seen during normal viewing well than I have no problem with that.
post #6370 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi,

on my oled tv, I noticed a circle in the middle when showing low ire, like 2,3 and 4¨%, does anyone else got that ? is it normal ?

Also, my set is almost banding free at least, at first, but now i got some banding is it how oled tv work ? the organic system ?
Thanks

Last edited by Pavel54; 12-08-2018 at 02:37 AM.
post #6371 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4464 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

And if you see a defect that does not interfere with normal viewing then don't worry about it.

These guys that are throwing up all kinds of slides to see a line here or there and then returning 2 or 3 sets are one of the reasons why some sets are so expensive, manufactures have to build into their costs all these nonsense returns.

If you return a set for a defect that is seen during normal viewing well than I have no problem with that.
Anything with columns showing a modicum of brightness variability at 5-10% will eventually show up in content to the observant. At post #6351 (24 posts above yours), we can see this readily manifesting in (what I believe to be) The Meg.

The frequency of this recurrent problem 3-4 years after its debut shows me what a dumpster fire the manufacturing process continues to be. The 2016 effort to attain improvements that year clearly couldn't be maintained without the sets being in the $5k-8k range.
zeromothra and mrtickleuk like this.
post #6372 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:

Nonsense returns? Normal viewing? So when I watch a movie like The Clovehitch Killer that is color graded with raised blacks that will show banding, is that normal viewing?

We spend a lot on these sets and I have no problems with someone wanting a good clean (as clean as possible...nothing is perfect blah blah blah) panel.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #6373 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:

Trust me, I wasn't looking for it with slides at all. I noticed the banding and giant dark patch without going on a hunt for it. It showed up, and was easily noticeable during normal viewing. When basically half of the screen is pitch black, while the other half shows a dark gray, you notice something is off. The banding only took a couple of camera pans, not even a very dark background was necessary.

Only after I noticed all of this in actual content, I put up a test pattern. You can also use the built-in 20p white balance 5 IRE pattern the TV has. No need for external sources at all.

For example: I started S01E01 of Fargo on Netflix. A few seconds in and you can easily notice all of these faults without knowing they exist beforehand. Or S04 of Better Call Saul, and there are lots of other instances where it's easily noticeable.
Or just start the Netflix app and sometimes a gray screen, with some cubes on the right hand side, shows up briefly. You can notice it on there as well, because the top right corner is darker and discolored.
Brighter grays and also some colors still exhibit a discoloration in the top right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Anything with columns showing a modicum of brightness variability at 5-10% will eventually show up in content to the observant. At post #6351 (24 posts above yours), we can see this readily manifesting in (what I believe to be) The Meg.

The frequency of this recurrent problem 3-4 years after its debut shows me what a dumpster fire the manufacturing process continues to be. The 2016 effort to attain improvements that year clearly couldn't be maintained without the sets being in the $5k-8k range.
I know from others who ordered the same TV from the same retailer at the same time as me. I've seen a photo of a 5% slide on one of those other OLEDs and it looks pristine. No dark patches at all, perfectly uniform. Maybe just the tiniest hint of vertical banding, but it's so minor you would probably never notice it even in the most demanding scenes. The others have claimed similar uniformity, alas no proof. I just had the worst luck apparently. As always, sadly. I'm sure mine is not the only dud, but it sure feels like it.
post #6374 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruit View Post
Quote:

Trust me, I wasn't looking for it with slides at all. I noticed the banding and giant dark patch without going on a hunt for it. It showed up, and was easily noticeable during normal viewing. When basically half of the screen is pitch black, while the other half shows a dark gray, you notice something is off. The banding only took a couple of camera pans, not even a very dark background was necessary.

Only after I noticed all of this in actual content, I put up a test pattern. You can also use the built-in 20p white balance 5 IRE pattern the TV has. No need for external sources at all.

For example: I started S01E01 of Fargo on Netflix. A few seconds in and you can easily notice all of these faults without knowing they exist beforehand. Or S04 of Better Call Saul, and there are lots of other instances where it's easily noticeable.
Or just start the Netflix app and sometimes a gray screen, with some cubes on the right hand side, shows up briefly. You can notice it on there as well, because the top right corner is darker and discolored.
Brighter grays and also some colors still exhibit a discoloration in the top right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post

I know from others who ordered the same TV from the same retailer at the same time as me. I've seen a photo of a 5% slide on one of those other OLEDs and it looks pristine. No dark patches at all, perfectly uniform. Maybe just the tiniest hint of vertical banding, but it's so minor you would probably never notice it even in the most demanding scenes. The others have claimed similar uniformity, alas no proof. I just had the worst luck apparently. As always, sadly. I'm sure mine is not the only dud, but it sure feels like it. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
You will never find an oled that is perfectly uniform and you cant trust a photo. I could make all the oleds I have owned look perfectly uniform by taking the photo with to low focus or wrong settings etc etc. I am not saying people are doing it on purpose its just hard to take photos of slides in the dark and therefor its hard to compare one photo with another. In your case its easy tho. Its a really bad panel that they should exchange asap
post #6375 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Just bought a new C8 and it is my first OLED, noticed some banding though. Tested it some, is this normal? (ISF dark room, oled 35 brightness 50)
post #6376 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Wikström View Post
Just bought a new C8 and it is my first OLED, noticed some banding though. Tested it some, is this normal? (ISF dark room, oled 35 brightness 50)
Forgot to attach the picture? 🙂
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6377 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Sorry, yes! Not used to this forum yet...
YouTube link:

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
post #6378 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry, yes! Not used to this forum yet...
YouTube link:

How many hours on the set when pics was taken?
post #6379 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxione View Post
About 10 hours, too little?

post #6380 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you just received the set, it's always worthwhile to run the panel 100+ hours before a final verdict. However, as of now, considering you have obvious banding at 20% grey, I'd say that's a bad panel.

post #6381 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
About 10 hours, too little?

Give it some more hours. Make sure you dont cut power to the tv after you finish watching it. Just put it to standby so the tv gets to run it compensation cycles. It should run one every 4hours of screen time.
post #6382 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Neat View Post
Hi gang,

I wanted to add examples of my issue in the hopes that one of you knows what it is, why it's happening and how it can and would be fixed.

This is an example, but mine is visible but not as think. It's comes and goes alternating with a broken black like. This like is more visible on blue content, but it is clearly visible whenever it activates. Additionally, when the set is turned off it will pulse on and off on a black nothing screen until the tv's power goes click.

I'm not sure if it's just a panel (screen) issue or related to the motherboard or T-Con board.
Looks like a screen issue to me, in which case...LG should replace the screen without issues..

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #6383 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Give it some more hours. Make sure you dont cut power to the tv after you finish watching it. Just put it to standby so the tv gets to run it compensation cycles. It should run one every 4hours of screen time.
Might be a good idea, hopefully that helps. Can this amount of banding improve with time? Have until january 24 to exchange it anyways...

post #6384 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Quote:
Might be a good idea, hopefully that helps. Can this amount of banding improve with time? Have until january 24 to exchange it anyways...

Wow, I was going to say yours looks pretty good...

Josh
post #6385 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
It does? As I said, new to all this, asking because I have a tendency to obsess over thinks like this...

post #6386 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
It does? As I said, new to all this, asking because I have a tendency to obsess over thinks like this...

How noticeable is it during actual content? I don't want to go through the hassle of returning mine or trying to get the panel replaced...I'm just leaving with it and ignoring it the best I can. I know some people can't do that...but your example doesn't look as bad as mine

The banding also definitely changes over time and is not a fixed thing...sometimes I'll be watching a show for hours and never notice it. And then, there will be one specific show and I'll see it over and over again.

Josh
post #6387 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

Thats not a good 10% slide for a 2018 panel. If it does not get any better I would return it.
post #6388 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Here is my 10% for comparison, although its hard to compare since photos are so different. But its pretty much what I see in real life. Minus the blob in the left. Camera is adding that

Last edited by Jaxione; 12-08-2018 at 01:22 PM.
post #6389 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi, got a new c8 what do you think ? I'm bothered by the circle in low ire (third photo) and some dark blotch on the right
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4652.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	761.6 KB
ID:	2493874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4653.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2493876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	2493880  
post #6390 of 8957 Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 PM

Well, that's not fun. Hopefully I didn't get a bad panel by design, have heard that elgiganten sometimes repackage returned Tv's and sell as new.(Might be untrue though)
Will stick with it until January, hopefully it will smooth itself out or I will get over it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page