OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3789Likes

post #6481 of 8897 Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagashira View Post
Thanks, but you think banding Can improve with use? How many hours?
There are many bands but really not visible. Only the left side you Can see in critic content. I dont want start lottery because uniformity Is good. And bad uniformity Is worse than banding.
Some bands can get better over time. I'd say at least 50-100 hours and you'll know what you have on your hands. But...if you're relatively happy with it and a bit worried about doing worse, I'd say just enjoy it.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 8897 Old 12-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks, ill post new photo next hours
post #6483 of 8897 Old 12-19-2018, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
C865 October 2018 build 64 hours in. Looks ok to me. Don't notice much in the banding scenes posted either. Hoping it's stays this way. Only uniformity issue I've noticed is the left side 1/4 of the screen having some tint but noticeable unless I put up a pure white screen. Coming from a Pioneer 600m the brightness levels are much appreciated on this set. A setting level of 25 of the oled light gets me the brightest I could do on the Kuro and of course having pure black is pretty awesome. Motion handling the only downside to this TV unfortunately as I do notice that on panning scenes it doesn't fare to good compared to the Kuro. No TV is perfect but this one's pretty awesome. I'm really enjoying this set. I haven't watched this much TV in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181219.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2498572  

Last edited by albertnsb; 12-19-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6484 of 8897 Old 12-19-2018, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertnsb View Post
C865 October 2018 build 64 hours in. Looks ok to me. Don't notice much in the banding scenes posted either. Hoping it's stays this way. Only uniformity issue I've noticed is the left side 1/4 of the screen having some tint but noticeable unless I put up a pure white screen. Coming from a Pioneer 600m the brightness levels are much appreciated on this set. A setting level of 25 of the oled light gets me the brightest I could do on the Kuro and of course having pure black is pretty awesome. Motion handling the only downside to this TV unfortunately as I do notice that on panning scenes it doesn't fare to good compared to the Kuro. No TV is perfect but this one's pretty awesome. I'm really enjoying this set. I haven't watched this much TV in a while.
I'd be surprised if that tint doesn't come back to bite you where you might not expect, but. not wishing that on you by any means ...
post #6485 of 8897 Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertnsb View Post
This looks exactly like my new Panel in my 65B7. The same like you I can see the tint in 5% grey slide on the left side. Try yellow or magenta test slides. You WILL see the tint - it's horrible.
post #6486 of 8897 Old 12-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
My 65" LG C7 has the same tinting on the same color slides as you, particularly the yellow as you show. Only difference being my tinting is on the right side lol.

I've accepted it, and rarely notice it. I used to just stare and look for it in content, but now I just watch what's playing and enjoy the set, if that makes any sense. Coming from a Kuro 111FD, maybe I just got used to the warmer tint as my Kuro developed a warm tint on an all black screen after thousands of hours and many years of service.

Anyways, I've seen much worse screens than ours, so I made the decision that playing the lottery again is not worth the hassle. Just my .02, best of luck.
Thank you! This has been quite an education. I've gotten a bunch of responses from different sources ranging from 'that HAS to go back' to 'that's nothing - keep it' -- and everything in between. It's amazing how subjective it all is.

If I didn't see it on real world content I wouldn't give it another thought. But it does catch my eye occasionally, and when it does it really annoys me, since I spent a lot more for the Sony than an LG on the specific hope it would help avoid some of these issues.

I have a new set coming from another retailer (Amazon, where I got the first is out of stock). That set will arrive before this one is picked up to go back , so I'll be able to at least compare how a 2nd Sony does. I could always return the 2nd and keep this in the end. Might help, might just make it more confusing!
post #6487 of 8897 Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post
Thank you! This has been quite an education. I've gotten a bunch of responses from different sources ranging from 'that HAS to go back' to 'that's nothing - keep it' -- and everything in between. It's amazing how subjective it all is.

If I didn't see it on real world content I wouldn't give it another thought. But it does catch my eye occasionally, and when it does it really annoys me, since I spent a lot more for the Sony than an LG on the specific hope it would help avoid some of these issues.

I have a new set coming from another retailer (Amazon, where I got the first is out of stock). That set will arrive before this one is picked up to go back , so I'll be able to at least compare how a 2nd Sony does. I could always return the 2nd and keep this in the end. Might help, might just make it more confusing!
Best of luck. Post photos of your new set. If it's an improvement, maybe I'll try getting mine replaced through LG.

I'm really curious if there really are perfect panels out there, seems like the chances of getting a tinted set are much higher than getting a perfect set.
post #6488 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

hey there, i'm curious about amazon's return policy on TV's. I have never bought one from them. Do they pick the TV up or do you have to ship it back? Is it a no hassle return policy or does the TV have to be dead on arrival or something. i'm looking at their website now and can find anything difinitive.

LG OLED77C9 / LG OLED65C9 / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #6489 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So Sony called me back today after 4 days of silence just to say me:

"We investigated the pictures and cant see an error. Everything looks normal. You have another question?!"

Me: "Are u kidding me?? Even my 70year old mother sees the stripes in the scenes.
I showed u a comparison pic of my 200€ monitor and the pic is 100 times cleaner then the one of your 3000€ premium OLED.
And u will tell me there is nothing to be seen?!.
This is Sonys coustomer service for people who spent that much money on ur TVs. Its a shame.
Im arguing with ur support over 2 weeks now and everyone tells me something else"

Agent "But i dont decide this. I can only tell u what the expert told me after investigating"

Me "If u had tried to explain this to me and why this stripes are there and so on. But just telling me u dont see is a effrontery.
Guess i will give this to my lawyer and to customer care we have he here in germany including the pics"

Agent "Well, i ask for this again and recall u tomorrow (really,again this tomorrow thing)"

**** this god damn Sony support.... Guess they will tell me the absolute same tomorrow. Just wanted to warn everyone out there.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6490 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Ok folks.
Now panel in 10 hours go better.
I Hope this post Can help people to have the belief that banding Will gets Better with hours.

I post my panel photo with 0/2/5/10 hours with LG C8 65"

Enjoy It.

https://www.imageshack.us/i/pmniQJxSj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/polM8Nwnj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/pn8ZdvDLj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/poniMkK5j

I dont see anything banding in stress test with ModernWize.
Only a Little in Marco Polo (almost impossible to see), very very Little in some scenes of TV series Hill House (I see only 1 episode).
Stranger Things and other nothing (NOTHING!)
I think this panel will be able to improve again next hours

Uniformity Is really good in White test:

https://www.imageshack.us/i/poELLgv0j

the test with the yellow seems to me affixed, I see a purple nuance on the sides but I am convinced is the anti-reflection filter and however it is not visible anywhere that color change:

https://www.imageshack.us/i/plOnfy3hj

Good night
Simone.
post #6491 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
hey there, i'm curious about amazon's return policy on TV's. I have never bought one from them. Do they pick the TV up or do you have to ship it back? Is it a no hassle return policy or does the TV have to be dead on arrival or something. i'm looking at their website now and can find anything difinitive.
Amazon has been great so far. Sending a truck to pick it up. I just explained what was wrong. The very nice woman I spoke to on the phone did offer to pay something towards repair so the colors 'would get fixed', but when I explained it didn't work that way, and that there was no way to fix the colors on one side of the set and not affect the other, she just apologized for my trouble, and immediately refunded my credit card.

I don't know if they have a flat policy or if it's case by case. I do buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, and have returned very few things over the years, so that may have helped me.

The bummer is that they had by far the best price of any authorized dealer I could find,., and now they're out of stock, so I had to pay the most standard price elsewhere.

OTOH, the delivery people they hired weren't great when they first brought the set. It was a rare very rainy day here in southern California, and they put the carton down on the ground, thus soaking the cardboard along one edge, and pretty much ruining the box. I explained that to the sales rep, and she said not to worry about it, but we'll see...
post #6492 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a terrible experience with a new LG C8. See attached pictures. ISF Dark, brightness at 45 and still get uniformity issues. Had it for several weeks, no improvement no matter what I did.

The worst part is the customer service from LG. I bought via Qantas frequent flyer points and figured I go direct to LG to sort this out.

• I called LG technical support to explain the issue
• They requested 3 pictures along with proof of purchase and purchase date
• LG advised after seeing the pictures they would send a tech
• Tech attended and advised un-repairable, a replacement TV is needed
• LG contact me and advised no stock available of the C8 model, would only offer a B8 – the model below the C8
• I advised this was unreasonable, the B8 doesn’t have the Alpha 9 processor – the reason I chose the C8, why not offer the E8 the model up
• LG advised they had stock of the E8 but would not offer this as greater than 30% price difference
• I advised LG that their website had the C8 recommended retail price at $3299, the E8 at $4199 – this is a 27% difference
• LG advised I had refused their reasonable offer and would close the case

After numerous phone calls asking for the matter to be escalated I gave up and went back via the frequent flyer online store. Thankfully they helped and I got a full refund, TV collected.

Now I am on the search for a replacement.. and it wont be LG. Any suggestions? Hopefully this story helps others - don't buy LG.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blank_Screen.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	631.6 KB
ID:	2499234   Click image for larger version

Name:	StarWars_1080p_BluRay.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	2499236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solo_4k_BluRay.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	2499238  
srkmish likes this.
post #6493 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Ok folks.
Now panel in 10 hours go better.
I Hope this post Can help people to have the belief that banding Will gets Better with hours.

I post my panel photo with 0/2/5/10 hours with LG C8 65"

Enjoy It.

https://www.imageshack.us/i/pmniQJxSj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/polM8Nwnj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/pn8ZdvDLj
https://www.imageshack.us/i/poniMkK5j

I dont see anything banding in stress test with ModernWize.
Only a Little in Marco Polo (almost impossible to see), very very Little in some scenes of TV series Hill House (I see only 1 episode).
Stranger Things and other nothing (NOTHING!)
I think this panel will be able to improve again next hours

Uniformity Is really good in White test:

https://www.imageshack.us/i/poELLgv0j

the test with the yellow seems to me affixed, I see a purple nuance on the sides but I am convinced is the anti-reflection filter and however it is not visible anywhere that color change:

https://www.imageshack.us/i/plOnfy3hj

Good night
Simone.
Nice to hear that it improved and that you are happy with your tv Which stress test are you talking about? Is it the vertical banding stress test? If it is its really strange if you can see no banding on that when looking at your 5% picture. Because even though it looks good its a normal 5% slide for an oled and the vertical banding stress test from ModernWize will make the vertical banding show more because of the moving slide at each % that is shown.

Br J
post #6494 of 8897 Old 12-20-2018, 11:54 PM

@Jaxione

exactly, in Modernwize I dont see nothing. will be running the test too quickly but maybe I know something between 5 and 7%. however I would not rely too much on that test, rather, I would try the first episode of Hill House that I think is the best test to get the worst out of any oled.
post #6495 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 AM

I also add all these tests have been done in a completely dark room. during the day practically no problems are noticed.
post #6496 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
@Jaxione

exactly, in Modernwize I dont see nothing. will be running the test too quickly but maybe I know something between 5 and 7%. however I would not rely too much on that test, rather, I would try the first episode of Hill House that I think is the best test to get the worst out of any oled.
Ok, because its usually the opposite. You could have a seemingly very good 5% or 10% but in that test it will show banding. But it doesent matter. All that matters is that you are happy

Btw I cant get your pics to work from PC. On mobile it worked. imgur is usually better for pictures, or use the forums upload tool.
post #6497 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 03:47 AM

by making copy and paste of the link you can not view them? it's a shame because it's interesting to see how the panel is transformed in a few hours.
post #6498 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 03:50 AM

however, I think the best panels are those after September. you are repeating the same thing as the previous series 7: at the end of the year they are the best. and I know other users who have received excellent panels after September / October.
post #6499 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How bad is this white uniformity?

Pioneer 111FD, Pioneer 4280HD
75" Sony 850D
65" LG B7, LG UBK90
post #6500 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Replaced my previous 55C8, got this one. This is right out of box, hopefully it gets better over time, though I haven't really been bothered by it in normal content yet (haven't stressed it yet though). Does uniformity like this become more even with time?

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
post #6501 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Wikström View Post
Replaced my previous 55C8, got this one. This is right out of box, hopefully it gets better over time, though I haven't really been bothered by it in normal content yet (haven't stressed it yet though). Does uniformity like this become more even with time?

that at 10% i would say you will easily see it in normal content
post #6502 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6059 Post(s)
Liked: 8752
Quote:
As out of the box that looks good. See what happens over the next few weeks, that left side may clear nicely.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6503 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting

Hello again all, just wanted to post progress report after 390 hours on the set.

Hopefully helps someone who wants to know how they look after settling a few hours.

Mine didn’t look too bad to begin with and it looks a little better on the left side as well after 300+ hours.

Picture bringing out a few bars that aren’t visible to my eyes.

Overall, pretty stoked with the set.

5% and 20% respectively.

mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Markalark; 12-21-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #6504 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
Quote:
however, I think the best panels are those after September. you are repeating the same thing as the previous series 7: at the end of the year they are the best. and I know other users who have received excellent panels after September / October.
I bought my C8 in September and have a nearly perfect panel, puts my C7 to shame. I really don’t think date matters, just luck of the panel. Also of note with 300+ hours on the C8 have yet to run a comp cycle, beginning to wonder if those do more harm then good. For the C8 it was some time with slides and content to help put some hours on it.
Markalark likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by smurraybhm; 12-22-2018 at 04:59 AM.
post #6505 of 8897 Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Looks good. Will probably clean up nicely.
post #6506 of 8897 Old 12-22-2018, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Also of note with 300+ hours on the C8 have yet to run a comp cycle, beginning to wonder if those do more harm then good. For the C8 it was some time with slides and content to help put some hours on it.
You mean manual or auto?

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #6507 of 8897 Old 12-22-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dealing with LG support in Finland has been quite a bummer. I've sent them this picture after the first one and they still told me they see no problem. But after pestering them a little, they asked me if I wanted to send it to them, for an inspection. So doing that next week. I really don't look forward packing and unpacking it again but I guess I have no other choice now. I'll get super depressed if I get another "no problem" reply from them, especially now that I'll risk the whole TV getting mauled just by shipping it around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2499844  
post #6508 of 8897 Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
You mean manual or auto?
Manual - sorry for not being clearer, don’t look as auto as being optional - if one smart.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6509 of 8897 Old 12-22-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Manual - sorry for not being clearer, don’t look as auto as being optional - if one smart.
Thanks for the clarification. Always thought it wasn’t a good idea and was hoping that someone was having positive results.

post #6510 of 8897 Old 12-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRX7 View Post
Dealing with LG support in Finland has been quite a bummer. I've sent them this picture after the first one and they still told me they see no problem. But after pestering them a little, they asked me if I wanted to send it to them, for an inspection. So doing that next week. I really don't look forward packing and unpacking it again but I guess I have no other choice now. I'll get super depressed if I get another "no problem" reply from them, especially now that I'll risk the whole TV getting mauled just by shipping it around.
Look a few pages back what pics i sent sony and they are still telling me they dont see a problem.
Its a shame how the companies are treating us. Like we are all seeing ghosts...
SRX7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page