OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3172Likes

post #7231 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Pics can be tricky to judge banding because of all the different factors, BUT if that's what you're seeing it's the best I've seen so far!
Yea pics can be tricky because I do have minor banding on this tv that doesnt really show at all unless it's a true torture test but I'll post a pic of the 1st c8 I had and that one was beyond terrible

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
VidPro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This was my 1st c8 @VidPro

post #7233 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Yea pics can be tricky because I do have minor banding on this tv that doesnt really show at all unless it's a true torture test but I'll post a pic of the 1st c8 I had and that one was beyond terrible

Good stuff. Can't remember, but have you mentioned anything about tinting?

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7234 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@VidPro

post #7235 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wish my A1E looked that good. Yellow tinting is far more annoying to me than banding here and there. Go figure.
npsacobra likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #7236 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wish my A1E looked that good. Yellow tinting is far more annoying to me than banding here and there. Go figure.
Your oled has tint on everything u watch?

post #7237 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mostly on white backgrounds. Some yellows show it as a kind of yellow vignetting. White backgrounds for text and other content pops up a lot and it clearly shows on the left hand side.

I've commented in the past that the tint seems to vary in intensity, but that could be me.

post #7238 of 7370 Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTuell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Hi Mate, better no visible banding on any content and no blob, used the tv for 20 hours.
My 5% slide is a not as good as it look, hopefully it will get better?
Please share your opinions.
All testing was done on gamma 2.4, oled light on 30, brightness 30.
C9 20 hours https://imgur.com/a/WaUOpn5
Hey Toto,
Your white screen looks great. No Pink & Cyan tinting like mine. You 5% picture looked a lot like my 5% did. Mine looked better live than the picture looked. My 5% has improved quite a bit but the pink and cyan white screen, not so much. Still leaning toward a swap. Gonna give it another week or two. I've been turning it on in the morning when I get up and it stays on until I go to bed. About 16 hrs per day for the last several days. I went by Best Buy and took my thumb drive with the test videos and had them put it in their C9 65" Their demo model had white screen that looked like yours and had barely visible near black banding. The guy there said the near black had more banding when they 1st turned it on, but has cleared up quite a bit since they've been running them from before open in the AM and after closing in the PM every day for 3 weeks now. About 16hrs a day also. comes to around 330 hrs. I haven't got 200hrs yet. You should run yours as much as possible, even if you're not watching it to see if your banding will dissipate a good bit.

Hope that one is a winner for you.
Thanks for your post bud, i hope your tinting will improve.
If its bother too much send it back and try your luck like i did until you get what your paid for.

I will keep mine, i cant see any banding and i have no tint.
I only used the tv 20 hours so hopefully the 5% uniformity will get better.

I used the lord of the ring movies each night and put the timer on the tv for 4 hours.

All the best and keep me posted about your tv.
Your 5% window looks a lot like my A1E did and it was very obvious to me on most content. However if you can’t see it then that’s what matters. What model is that?
Its the C9 mate.
Did your tv got better with Used?
Only my 5% slide look bad mostly dark patch rather than banding
Anything that you suggest to improve my uniformity on 5%?
Which content should i watch?
post #7239 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Your oled has tint on everything u watch?

That your same TV at 300 hours or did you get a new one i have had mine for 158 hours and have vertical banding on left and right side with the left showing up more at certain colors then the other but i am hoping it will get better at 200 hours or im gonna exchange it.
post #7240 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Holtkamp View Post
That your same TV at 300 hours or did you get a new one i have had mine for 158 hours and have vertical banding on left and right side with the left showing up more at certain colors then the other but i am hoping it will get better at 200 hours or im gonna exchange it.
I had got another one. The TV I have now does have vertical banding it's just minor. It seems to me that the c8 line has the banding in the same spots on each TV either far right or far left

post #7241 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I had a very similar situation on one of my C8’s and returned it within 30 days. I was wondering if it would ever go away and since you have had yours for 6 months that answers my question. It was not from gaming. It has to be something they do in the factory that produces this anomaly.
Do you think I should do a manual pixel refresh to see if it fixes or makes the issue less visible? It started showing up in month 5 (about 1,000 hours of TV use at that time).

I'm just wondering if it is worth reaching out to SONY (if its a valid reason to get a new panel) if it doesn't bother me during gaming/watching movies? I just don't want to risk getting a panel even worse.
post #7242 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrahboy View Post
Do you think I should do a manual pixel refresh to see if it fixes or makes the issue less visible? It started showing up in month 5 (about 1,000 hours of TV use at that time).

I'm just wondering if it is worth reaching out to SONY (if its a valid reason to get a new panel) if it doesn't bother me during gaming/watching movies? I just don't want to risk getting a panel even worse.
Adding on to my comment, I am hoping if anyone could please provide some insight on the manual pixel refresh. Is it safe to do at 1200 hours or should I wait until the 2000 hours mark? I have 6 months of warranty left from SONY and if its really a factory defect I could get another screen (if manual pixel doesn't fix it).
post #7243 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Quote:

Adding on to my comment, I am hoping if anyone could please provide some insight on the manual pixel refresh. Is it safe to do at 1200 hours or should I wait until the 2000 hours mark? I have 6 months of warranty left from SONY and if its really a factory defect I could get another screen (if manual pixel doesn't fix it).
Don’t be scared by pixel refresh. It’s fine to run.
post #7244 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I did a couple of manual refreshes to no avail. It is interesting that your issue wasn't there initially. My looked that way from day one.

If it doesn't bother you then I would keep it. I noticed my circles in content and was too OCD to keep mine knowing that. Luckily I ended up with a much better panel.
post #7245 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For reference here was a picture of the C8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FBC3C7F-09C8-4855-A113-798143989929.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2568300  
post #7246 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I exchanged my previous 77 C8 for a new one and I think the panel is much better. I also don’t have the buzzing sound from the power supply. I have about 40hrs on it and the darkness on the left side of the screen is only present in the pictures. What do you think about the white screen? I feel like I see things when I stare at it lol! The third image with the circle is my old panel with many more hours and a pixel refresher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DrMichael; 05-18-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #7247 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
For reference here was a picture of the C8
My picture and your picture are pretty much identical (rectangle and circles are in the same exact place). I just haven't seen the circles or rectangles unless I am at a gray screen. Being that I am 6 months in, what can I say to SONY or what do I have to prove to show that it wasn't burn in (my fault) and was in fact a factory defect?

Last edited by Starrahboy; 05-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #7248 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is basically exactly what I had! except my circles are lighter (probably why I don't see the circles), but my picture and your picture are identical pretty much. Being that I am 6 months in, what can I say to SONY or what do I have to prove to show that it wasn't burn in (my fault) and was in fact a factory defect?
It wouldn’t hurt to show them the picture of mine. That way they can’t say it was anything you did.
post #7249 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It wouldn’t hurt to show them the picture of mine. That way they can’t say it was anything you did.
I can try that. If I end up getting another panel, would I just be playing panel roulette and is it worth it? I am hoping I don't spend hours trying to get a new panel just for it to be crap and then doing the process all over again.
post #7250 of 7370 Old 05-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can try that. If I end up getting another panel, would I just be playing panel roulette and is it worth it? I am hoping I don't spend hours trying to get a new panel just for it to be crap and then doing the process all over again.
Definitely your call. You could get one with worse banding. If you don't see this in content that should be a factor in your decision.
post #7251 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Definitely your call. You could get one with worse banding. If you don't see this in content that should be a factor in your decision.

I suspect that for some of the folk on here the test patterns are the “content” they watch :-) seriously though I’ve been reading this massive thread thinking up investing to upgrade my now old 4K Pana LED (first ones post plasma non HDR,it has some banding from local dimming - was second set I rejected the first due to big yellow stripe). This thread makes be v nervous about shelling out £££ but on other hand I only rarely notice the faults in my current one typical watching dark scenes. It’s just sooo much hassle exchanging them. Is it size related as I only need 65 inch for my room or does that not make a difference? Just seems poor not to resolve this for top end products.

post #7252 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
I suspect that for some of the folk on here the test patterns are the “content” they watch :-) seriously though I’ve been reading this massive thread thinking up investing to upgrade my now old 4K Pana LED (first ones post plasma non HDR,it has some banding from local dimming - was second set I rejected the first due to big yellow stripe). This thread makes be v nervous about shelling out £££ but on other hand I only rarely notice the faults in my current one typical watching dark scenes. It’s just sooo much hassle exchanging them. Is it size related as I only need 65 inch for my room or does that not make a difference? Just seems poor not to resolve this for top end products.

I’ve gone back and forth on the idea of checking with slides right away or not. I’ve settled on it’s best to check right away to see what you got. I understand that once you see it you can’t unsee it, but that’s better than getting burned because you waited past your return period.

post #7253 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 6597
Quote:
I suspect that for some of the folk on here the test patterns are the “content” they watch :-)
Of course! Doesn't everyone?

Save money by putting up large flat grey paintings instead of buying a TV.

Quote:
This thread makes be v nervous about shelling out £££ but on other hand I only rarely notice the faults in my current one typical watching dark scenes. It’s just sooo much hassle exchanging them. Is it size related as I only need 65 inch for my room or does that not make a difference? Just seems poor not to resolve this for top end products.
It's inherent in the technology, unfortunately. The better it gets, the easier it becomes to see the remaining imperfections.

Uniformity is not size related. The best thing is to speak to your retailer and ask to see the panel before you buy it. When I had mine replaced, they opened it for me, I visited the shop and tested it myself in their "home cinema" demo room which was fully dark. Yes it's hassle, but if you could do that on your first one and decide whether or not to buy that panel, you'd save a lot of grief. This is why it is worth paying extra for the good customer service at small independent retailers.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7254 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I know it’s strange, but a thread about uniformity that can be checked by a grey slide will have pics of grey slides in it.

Or is it gray slides?

post #7255 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I know it’s strange, but a thread about uniformity that can be checked by a grey slide will have pics of grey slides in it.

Or is it gray slides?
Damn I should have realised this was not a review thread for Fifty Shades of Grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VidPro and DrMichael like this.
post #7256 of 7370 Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 6597
Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:
Or is it gray slides?
If you're American, I suppose you could use that spelling. But you're wrong lol. They are both the same colour.
VidPro likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7257 of 7370 Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I just saw this for the first time last night while flipping between menus on Amazon Prime. I knew my panel had some banding, but the blob on the bottom is something that I just literally noticed. Could this be something other than a uniformity issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uniformity.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2569440  
post #7258 of 7370 Old 05-21-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
I just saw this for the first time last night while flipping between menus on Amazon Prime. I knew my panel had some banding, but the blob on the bottom is something that I just literally noticed. Could this be something other than a uniformity issue?
That looks bad I’d return that if you can.
post #7259 of 7370 Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
If this is a new set, try a panel refresh first but otherwise that’s not normal and should go back.
post #7260 of 7370 Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 767
If I noticed some weird blob for the very first time during content I surely would check slides to figure out if what I've seen is really a panel issue and not just some random weirdness in the displayed content.
macmane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page