OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3362Likes

post #2851 of 8051 Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojooca View Post
. I picked my set up on Black Friday. I have to say reading this thread is giving me all kinds of anxiety
I have to be honest with you, i lived with the 65C7V for 2 weeks and it was giving me continuous stress, at the end i coudn,t take it anymore so i took the decision returned it and got refunded, then i went to see a therapist because i was still so stress, then under the therapy session i was diagnosed with something called Tinting/Banding anxiety disorder , so be carefull it's a very serious condition
stsjfsd and VICosPhi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 8051 Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I know the feeling, I try to unsee it but constantly look for it and then get annoyed and the try to convince myself it is ok. Very stressful, but what is the alternative eh...
post #2853 of 8051 Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got my second A1E to replace from banding and I should’ve my last one. This looks like trash.
VICosPhi likes this.

Rocking: Sony 65XA1E, Pioneer 1130K, Sony X800 and Xbox One X Scorpio edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 8051 Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post
1 forced pixel refresh and two 4-hour refreshers and it looks slightly better.

A little more time on the TV and I busted out my camera vs using my smart phone.

post #2855 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
Just got my second A1E to replace from banding and I should’ve my last one. This looks like trash.
Do yourself a favor, avoid slides and photos of slides at 0 hours. Try again at ~20 hours after a minimum of 4 auto comp cycles.

Is this recommendation mentioned in the first post, vidpro? If not, it needs to be.
post #2856 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Do yourself a favor, avoid slides and photos of slides at 0 hours. Try again at ~20 hours after a minimum of 4 auto comp cycles.

Is this recommendation mentioned in the first post, vidpro? If not, it needs to be.
Good point. I’ll add that today.

Just to continue the saga, my panel’s banding is definitely looking rough at the moment. I will try and grab a pic so when it looks better after an auto comp cycle or two I’ll be able to post a comparison. This way we can all decide if I’m nuts. I did not use a slide to see that the panel is worse. I have one band that will come and go and I started to see it in some content a couple of days ago.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #2857 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 52
An example of when I clearly see the difference in tone/brightness on the left side, is when I get a PS4 notification (like when I get a trophy). There a small white box appearing on the left, and the part that's near the edge of the screen is a lot brighter and has a different tone than the rest of the box.

Is this how you guys experience the tinting too? This is in reallife content, not some test charts.
post #2858 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got a B7 from Costco (710 build) and have the dreaded goal posts. I was calling it "Dirt Road to Refund City", but goal post which after reading some past posts sounds better. I'll return it towards the end of the return window and try my luck with a better build date or see if anything interesting comes out of CES for 2018.

I just wanted to add however that I really appreciate this thread and want to say to those that have returned or received warranty service THANKS!. IMO...LG knows that a percentage of these panels are unacceptable and this is the cost of doing business when trying to be first to market. They are counting on most people to just accept there fate or not even aware that they should be expecting better. The only way LG and others will prioritize this is by getting the message from consumers and even suppliers that this is not the quality that a customer expects. And yes I get the whole 'if you don't like it...don't buy it' thing, but manufactures are marketing these TV's as being a cut above what you can buy already.

For those that are stressing about whether to return or get a tech out...Do not feel anxious or think that you are inconveniencing anyone. Some of this may have already been stated in previous posts, but I just wanted to reiterate.
VidPro and marco1975 like this.
post #2859 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
An example of when I clearly see the difference in tone/brightness on the left side, is when I get a PS4 notification (like when I get a trophy). There a small white box appearing on the left, and the part that's near the edge of the screen is a lot brighter and has a different tone than the rest of the box.

Is this how you guys experience the tinting too? This is in reallife content, not some test charts.
I see it the most in menus that have a white background (Quantum Break Xbox game) and while watching hockey, where you can see the tinted band down the left side of the screen on the white ice background.
post #2860 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsjfsd View Post
For those that are stressing about whether to return or get a tech out...Do not feel anxious or think that you are inconveniencing anyone.
Exactly. especially when we paying these premium prices , we should demand higher qaulity standard /more qaulity control and never settle for less. and as they say -the customer is allways right
VidPro likes this.
post #2861 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Good point. I’ll add that today.

Just to continue the saga, my panel’s banding is definitely looking rough at the moment. I will try and grab a pic so when it looks better after an auto comp cycle or two I’ll be able to post a comparison. This way we can all decide if I’m nuts. I did not use a slide to see that the panel is worse. I have one band that will come and go and I started to see it in some content a couple of days ago.
One band is better than multiple columns scattered across the screen, which show up on my 77" from time to time when they get "triggered" by the proper background.

This was a $20k premium panel, and the problem was evident on at least 3 units manufactured around the same time. That suggests to me an insurmountable engineering problem given the price tag. I still have 2-1/2 months to have the geriatric tech (only one in town) play down my complaints (I've gone through this with him before) and then, if by some miracle LG agrees with my position, I would need to enlist help of at least 3 studs to bring the monster down from its mount (with a broken shoulder, I'm down for the count). All that hassle with no guarantee of receiving anything better plus a likely dried up supply (huge markups on Amazon as we speak); yes, the only likely way to keep my immersion-filled 3D is to just stick it out with this flawed panel.

Last edited by video_analysis; 12-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #2862 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hey,

Same here... except my c6 looks even worse. How much vignetting/banding should these TVs have out of the box? LG replaced my c6 panel today and I made the mistake of running slides before even the first hour (assuming that the replacement panel is a new one and not a refurb...) It looked terrible. I could see banding, vignetting and the whole 5% grey test slide was a mess. It wasn’t even grey it was very dark due to the large black patches scattered across the screen. Also, the very edge of the screen was very light as if there was a frame around the edges.

I can only hope that this mess will go away after the first couple of comp cycles. What do you guys think? Is it likely to get better or is it hopeless given how bad it looks at the moment?

Thanks
post #2863 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
One band is better than multiple columns scattered across the screen, which show up on my 77" from time to time when they get "triggered" by the proper background.

This was a $20k premium panel, and the problem was evident on at least 3 units manufactured around the same time. That suggests to me an insurmountable engineering problem given the price tag. I still have 2-1/2 months to have the geriatric tech (only one in town) play down my complaints (I've gone through this with him before) and then, if by some miracle LG agrees with my position, I would need to enlist help of at least 3 studs to bring the monster down from its mount (with a broken shoulder, I'm down for the count). All that hassle with no guarantee of receiving anything better plus a likely dried up supply (huge markups on Amazon as we speak); yes, the only likely way to keep my immersion-filled 3D is to just stick it out with this flawed panel.
I hear ya. The one band I have is the reminder that other bands are there all the time. It's the only band that truly shows on menus that are way brighter than a band should like.

The good points to the current OLEDs are certainly worth a look, but if I have to be honest I've never been so unhappy or at least indifferent to tech that cost me so much to have the pleasure of living in my house.
marco1975 likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #2864 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Guys,

Help talk me out of swapping my B7A for a C7P. The main reasons would be the following:

1. Yellow Streak on the left edge noticeable during hockey and on certain content with light grey / white backgrounds. I also noticed some yellow blobbing in the middle of the right side of the screen and the bottom middle when on the Apple TV 4K home screen. I have yet to verify that the Apple TV4K does not have these color shifts included in default light backgrounds. No banding evident in any content, except very minor during Marco Polo torture test or Amazon app loading screen.

2. Clear panel on the base/stand shows reflections of my HDMI cables on the base of the B7, very annoying. Also seems like my overhead BR30 lights reflect more off this unit than my G6. I am in a light controlled basement.

It is such a PITA to box these up and take them back, I might stop in Magnolia on the way home and see if I can get them to deliver a C7 to my house and pickup the B7. Might make the switch if I can swing that. The wife isn't thrilled about me exchanging another TV, especially when she doesn't see the issues like I do.

Y2J

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #2865 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
In my opinion , anyone who is not completely satisfied and happy with the tv. should demand a Return/exchange untill u are satisfied, that is the only way we can make LG. and other manufacturers understand!
Sounds like making an exchange is not going to fix anything though. I want a TV that doesn't have those bands (like my old XBR CRT). Sounds like they all have them to some degree. And how do you tell if the new one is going to be better than the one you're returning? You don't.
video_analysis likes this.
post #2866 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4bs View Post
Hey,

Same here... except my c6 looks even worse. How much vignetting/banding should these TVs have out of the box? LG replaced my c6 panel today and I made the mistake of running slides before even the first hour (assuming that the replacement panel is a new one and not a refurb...) It looked terrible. I could see banding, vignetting and the whole 5% grey test slide was a mess. It wasn’t even grey it was very dark due to the large black patches scattered across the screen. Also, the very edge of the screen was very light as if there was a frame around the edges.

I can only hope that this mess will go away after the first couple of comp cycles. What do you guys think? Is it likely to get better or is it hopeless given how bad it looks at the moment?

Thanks
i would suggest that u give it a couple of weeks and after that if there no change then ask for return.
post #2867 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxq View Post
And how do you tell if the new one is going to be better than the one you're returning?
personally , i didn,t even bother with the exchange, from the first time , i have just returned my 65C7V , and ask for money back and got full refunded , as u said there is no telling what u end up with , its a panel lottery , nevertheless some people still like to try thier luck .
post #2868 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
personally , i didn,t even bother with the exchange, from the first time , i have just returned my 65C7V , and ask for money back and got full refunded , as u said there is no telling what u end up with , its a panel lottery , nevertheless some people still like to try thier luck .
What did you end up doing for a TV? Did you buy a new one, using an old one?

My old XBR CRT kept turning off while I was watching, fading to green, red, black. It was 13 years. I wish I didn't have to buy a new TV. But faced with an OLED with these columns or all the inherent issues of LCD, I'm leaning toward OLED with the columns.
post #2869 of 8051 Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxq View Post
What did you end up doing for a TV? Did you buy a new one, using an old one?

My old XBR CRT kept turning off while I was watching, fading to green, red, black. It was 13 years. I wish I didn't have to buy a new TV. But faced with an OLED with these columns or all the inherent issues of LCD, I'm leaning toward OLED with the columns.
i perfectly understand you , i can,t live with LCD either , so actually what i did was that i went back to plasma
i was lucky to find a pioneer lx5090h used for sell for a very good price , so iam using that for now untill i see whats coming out next year..
post #2870 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I ran a comp cycle and it made a big difference. I’ll view more hours and do a 4 hour cycle per a recommendation and should do the trick.

Rocking: Sony 65XA1E, Pioneer 1130K, Sony X800 and Xbox One X Scorpio edition
post #2871 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
i would suggest that u give it a couple of weeks and after that if there no change then ask for return.
Thanks. After how many automatic comp cycles would you recommend running a 1-hour manual cycle? Or could that make things worse if triggered before the first 200 hours?
post #2872 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch4bs View Post
Thanks. After how many automatic comp cycles would you recommend running a 1-hour manual cycle? Or could that make things worse if triggered before the first 200 hours?
Well according to the sony recommendation on the manual cycle, u shoudn,t do it more than twice a year and it should be done only when u have extrem problem with IR.
Personally i did it twice within 1 week on my last 65C7V and it didn,t make any different. some they think it helped, other think it dosn,t make any different ,some other think it made things even worse....so its up to you
post #2873 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I hear ya. The one band I have is the reminder that other bands are there all the time. It's the only band that truly shows on menus that are way brighter than a band should like.

The good points to the current OLEDs are certainly worth a look, but if I have to be honest I've never been so unhappy or at least indifferent to tech that cost me so much to have the pleasure of living in my house.
Yup, buying premium is no fun anymore. The more expensive the sets get, there more complex and faulty the technology is getting. For like 1000€ I would not really care but for 3000€ things like uniformity must be better and a lottery is not acceptable. I wanna know what I get when I pay this much.
VidPro and marco1975 like this.
post #2874 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 AM

Liked: 24
Upon closer look on 100% white screen, I just realized I can see the same stripes I see on the 5% gray, on the same places, same thickness. At first I thought it was some dirty screen effect, but no, they are exactly the same hardly noticeable stripes.
Weird, right?
post #2875 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So, quick update on my situation.

My 55B7V exhibited some banding and strange mottling in the darker grays; I contacted LG and they were on the brink of doing a panel replacement "surgery".

Alas, Black Friday rolled along and I got a *huge* discount on a 65B7V. I bit the bullet, sold the 55, and got the 65 yesterday. It's a 711 (ah!) build.

There's *no* tinting that I can pick up on - going as far as going over photos in image editing software and doing any and all picture manipulations to bring out/exaggerate any issues.

There's some vertical banding at 0 hours, but nothing too serious from what I've seen here, and a bit of vignetting in both lower corners. Then banding hasn't shown up in actual content yet, the vignetting I'm not sure (some content/scenes have vignetting in the video already, so...), have been watching in ISF Dark the whole time. All in all, in this respect, I consider it a better pick than my previous 55 inch.

So maybe I won a middle prize in the "panel lottery"! It's not pristine, but seems fit for purpose.

Lastly: I won't be taking or posting pictures of the set. Going with the mindset that if I'm looking for problems, I'll find them; and if I have more eyes and brains trying to pick a display apart, all the more worry and stress. I'll happily opt out of that!
-Kaelis- likes this.

LG OLED65B7V
DENON AVR-X4400H
B&W 68X Theatre
BKElec XLS200-DF Sub
Dali Alteco C-1 Atmos
post #2876 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizm83 View Post
Upon closer look on 100% white screen, I just realized I can see the same stripes I see on the 5% gray, on the same places, same thickness. At first I thought it was some dirty screen effect, but no, they are exactly the same hardly noticeable stripes.
Weird, right?
No not weird at all. banding can occur at any drive level in the picture , and just because at some points when veiwing normal content it could be masked and u don,t see it , that dosn,t realy mean that it,s not allways there! and it could suddenly jump at u and spoil your viewing pleasure! it's a serious issue and i don,t know why people should put up with it, specailly at this price range, personally noway iam eccepting that, not at this price level!

Last edited by marco1975; 12-13-2017 at 06:05 AM.
post #2877 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I ran a comp cycle and it made a big difference. I’ll view more hours and do a 4 hour cycle per a recommendation and should do the trick.
Can you post a pic of what it looks like now, please?

Thanks
post #2878 of 8051 Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Does the left side yellow tint go away after a while?
Y2JDMBFAN likes this.
post #2879 of 8051 Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is my 65EZ952, is this a bad panel ? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171213_232706.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	2330662  
post #2880 of 8051 Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboy22001 View Post
This is my 65EZ952, is this a bad panel ? thanks
Looks about average to me...which is a good thing. Are you seeing the banding in everyday content?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , compensation , correction , oled , uniformity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page