AVS Forum banner

OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting

3M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  highwayinthesky 
#1 · (Edited)
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion. This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time.

*Please note your panel size and brand.

Please allow your panel to go through several auto compensation cycles (100-200 hours) before posting a pic of your screen uniformity. Out of the box OLEDs with zero hours will not be a good representation of the final look of your panel.

Slides

aron7awol
- H.265-HEVC\UHD4K\HDR10\Calibrate\Fill\Grayscale patterns from https://github.com/test-full-band/tfb-video/releases/download/0.4/testing-video-main-0.4.zip

video_analysis - Slides for those who want 10%, 100% and 0% through 5% for USB playback: MEGA

Please follow these steps when taking pictures of your panel to post in this thread.

Settings

2021 Sony OLED owners:

Picture Mode: Custom. Brightness: Max. Peak Luminance: Off

Sony OLEDs
Factory Cinema Pro preset
____

LG OLEDs

ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Gamma BT.1886

Note: Pictures should be taken in a dark room with lights off. If possible, rest camera against a solid surface to reduce blurring.

NEW...
Grid Pattern Test Scenes

Visible at high brightness and movies should be played in HDR.

dotnotbot
1. Arrival - 1:27:27 (camera going up)
2. Martian - 1:22:30 (panning shot against bright sun)
3. Interstellar - 2:05:22-25 (window on the left), 2:37:30 (panning shot)
Games - Journey, Ghost of Tsushima

Tinting Test: Along with banding and vignetting there is also the possibility of tinting on mostly white screens that may look like a yellow or magenta in appearance. Best way to check is to run a pure white screen. Be aware that the tinting may change depending on seating position. Certain colors may show it as well like yellow or beige or tan.

Test links below including “real content” and screens. More will be added soon.

Helpful links and Information

5% Banding Test YouTube

mrtickleuk

The OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, camera drifts up the stairs.

video_analysis
Marco Polo - Netflix - 14-16 minutes (S1E3)

The Walking Dead
S08E08

Flaken2000
Here is some content examples I've personally used.
Arrival
First, where she is walking into school through the corridors up the steps (from 4:00). Camera panning over grass field (from 18:48). Next when they first go up into the capsule and travel up (from 26:20). Another is right at the end of the film where the camera pans down from the ceiling to the scene looking out through the window to the sea (from 1:45:25).

Interstellar
At the beginning of the movie, right after the flight scene, main character wakes up (1:48). Very dark scene.

The Martian
At the beginning of the movie, horizontal camera pan showing Mars red mountains (1:26)

Prometheus
Scenes in the caves on the alien world (34:11)

Passengers
Pool scene. Panning shot of spaceship (41:35)

Recently Added

Wizziwig

Netflix: Night on Earth - Night on Earth | Netflix Official Site

Zero Dark Thirty
5 minute raid scene starting at 2:00:00) with pics posted here.

Star Trek Beyond
Camera pan over space background starting around 0:11:30 - 0:12:30

Oblivion
Camera pan over smoke filled crash-site at 0:50:00

The OA
S01E01 - Camera panning inside dimly lit room.- 0:10:30:

steakhouse_
Mindhunters Episode 8 - Netflix - at 47:15

Tint Tests

Warning: Please do NOT use the following video for your banding test: The video levels are WRONG in this video:

Attachments

See less See more
7 2
#6,022 ·
That is the factory mura. You will see great improvement in a couple of auto cycles and the dark areas will disappear.
I like you already 🙂

I truely hope so. I had C7 but after the panel lotto gave it up. Now wanted to give LG OLED a second change with C8 but not going to do the lotto again. Either i keep this if its good enough or just return it.

#6,023 ·
I like you already 🙂

I truely hope so. I had C7 but after the panel lotto gave it up. Now wanted to give LG OLED a second change with C8 but not going to do the lotto again. Either i keep this if its good enough or just return it.
I think if your panel is anywhere near acceptable to you just keep it and give up. That’s where I’m at now with my A1E. Last night I was seeing bands on menus and a bit in content. I’ve always seen a little in the menus but last night they were really showing up clearly. I’m waiting out any possible real improvements in terms of uniformity until I buy an OLED again. :)

#6,024 ·
I like you already 🙂

I think if your panel is anywhere near acceptable to you just keep it and give up. That’s where I’m at now with my A1E. Last night I was seeing bands on menus and a bit in content. I’ve always seen a little in the menus but last night they were really showing up clearly. I’m waiting out any possible real improvements in terms of uniformity until I buy an OLED again. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
As long as i dont see anything with real content i am fine. At least for now i can see the band in bottom corner and some dark areas are visible in certain content.. Hope it fades away in next 2 weeks before my deadline for returning ends.

#6,025 ·
As long as i dont see anything with real content i am fine. At least for now i can see the band in bottom corner and some dark areas are visible in certain content.. Hope it fades away in next 2 weeks before my deadline for returning ends.
As Tommo53 mentioned, the darker areas should dissipate over time. Hopefully what’s left is a keeper.

#6,026 ·
I think if your panel is anywhere near acceptable to you just keep it and give up. That’s where I’m at now with my A1E. Last night I was seeing bands on menus and a bit in content. I’ve always seen a little in the menus but last night they were really showing up clearly. I’m waiting out any possible real improvements in terms of uniformity until I buy an OLED again. :)
Thats the same experience that I had with my last 2017 Oled. I could have a really good day, sometimes even a few good days when I loved the tv and was allowed to completley focus on the beautiful picture. And then boom and the bands were showing in menues and in content again and I wanted to return it and forget it ever existed.

#6,028 ·
Thats the same experience that I had with my last 2017 Oled. I could have a really good day, sometimes even a few good days when I loved the tv and was allowed to completley focus on the beautiful picture. And then boom and the bands were showing in menues and in content again and I wanted to return it and forget it ever existed.
That's why my new obsession is building up my stereo at the moment. Just bought a turntable and I'm looking for some good ole fashion tower speakers (probably Klipsch) for when we move and I finally get my own room. :D

#6,030 ·
The local tech said his name will be on the report he receives, and I can then try to have it elevated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
One more thing. If anyone is submitting a ticket, play dumb and use common language when describing your concerns. As soon as I said "near black", he flew off the handle and said the industry hates that term. He alluded that I was fishing on forums and was wasting his time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#6,031 ·
One more thing. If anyone is submitting a ticket, play dumb and use common language when describing your concerns. As soon as I said "near black", he flew off the handle and said the industry hates that term. He alluded that I was fishing on forums and was wasting his time.

The funny thing is if I had never checked forums before buying an Oled and knew basically nothing about them, I would definitely be like: "this thing must be defective, this can't be right" when seing the near-black uniformity issues for the first time... :eek:

Reactions: mrtickleuk
#6,032 ·
That is the factory mura. You will see great improvement in a couple of auto cycles and the dark areas will disappear.
Great word!

From wiki:
Mura (斑) is a Japanese word meaning "unevenness; irregularity; lack of uniformity; nonuniformity; inequality", and is a key concept in the Toyota Production System (TPS) as one of the three types of waste (muda, mura, muri). Waste reduction is an effective way to increase profitability.

#6,033 ·
Whoa...a particularly gruesome banding night. Comp cycle madness. :eek:

#6,034 ·
Whoa...a particularly gruesome banding night. Comp cycle madness. :eek:
Thats my headache at the moment. Buy a LED Tv and possibly get average screen uniformity but non changing uniformity or try a oled number nine and get uniformity that changes every night.......My last effort at getting a new tv 2 years ago ended up with me buying a used Panasonic ST60 plasma that is worse on many things but at least has good uniformity. But now I need another tv and didnt think it would be the same old story again.

#6,035 · (Edited)
Thats my headache at the moment. Buy a LED Tv and possibly get average screen uniformity but non changing uniformity or try a oled number nine and get uniformity that changes every night.......My last effort at getting a new tv 2 years ago ended up with me buying a used Panasonic ST60 plasma that is worse on many things but at least has good uniformity. But now I need another tv and didnt think it would be the same old story again.
I don’t see a giant step in uniformity on the recent releases and that includes the A9s. Definitely better than the average 2017s that’s for sure. That’s a good thing but not quite good enough yet and still too many variations from owner to owner for me to take another chance. I’m hoping over time that we hear auto comp cycles are not introducing its own lottery of what you’ll get each time the TV is turned on.

OLED is still the go-to choice, but my recommendation for someone who is picky is to wait it out. I know someday I’ll get the OLED I want and it’ll be glorious. :)

#6,036 · (Edited)
I have owned my B7a since March and have perused through this thread from time to time, trying my hardest not to get too OCD over my banding that I've seen since day 1.

Looking at my 5% screen compared to others, mine looks pretty respectable, if not quite good. However, when I'm watching near-black scenes the banding -- to me -- is horrific. I can visibly see 20 or 30 lines across the screen. Movies like Solo 4k just look like a nightmare, especially early on such as in the Chewbacca scene around the 20 minute mark.

So my question is, is what I'm seeing normal (20 to 30 bars in content), or is that number of bars unusual even for these OLEDs?

#6,037 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share the "out-of-the-box" 5% grey of my new Panasonic TX-55FZ952 TV. This was taken with 6 hours on the TV's clock. Looks pretty good to me, but will test further once I've got over 100 hours on it.

View attachment 2453510
Update on my Panasonic TX-55FZ952 OLED.

So, nearly 300 hours on the TV, and one manual maintenance cycle done. Uniformity seems to have improved slightly, and I'm very happy with this.
Rectangle

Ignore the small white line, that's a reflection.

Using my X-Rite i1Display Pro to track across the screen from left to right confirms good uniformity within ±0.068 cd/m²:
Text Line Font Slope Plot

#6,038 · (Edited)
I have owned my B7a since March and have perused through this thread from time to time, trying my hardest not to get too OCD over my banding that I've seen since day 1.

Looking at my 5% screen compared to others, mine looks pretty respectable, if not quite good. However, when I'm watching near-black scenes the banding -- to me -- is horrific. I can visibly see 20 or 30 lines across the screen. Movies like Solo 4k just look like a nightmare, especially early on such as in the Chewbacca scene around the 20 minute mark.

So my question is, is what I'm seeing normal (20 to 30 bars in content), or is that number of bars unusual even for these OLEDs?
You might do well to follow the settings instructions from the first page of this thread, take some pics and post in order to better answer your question ... its not fun when its prevalent in content :(

#6,039 ·
Update on my Panasonic TX-55FZ952 OLED.

So, nearly 300 hours on the TV, and one manual maintenance cycle done. Uniformity seems to have improved slightly, and I'm very happy with this.
View attachment 2467888

Ignore the small white line, that's a reflection.

Using my X-Rite i1Display Pro to track across the screen from left to right confirms good uniformity within ±0.068 cd/m²:
View attachment 2467886
Very good - how did you create the graph? Just slide across taking measurements and logging the values I presume. How could you be accurate where you were measuring? (Great idea though!)

#6,040 · (Edited)
Very good - how did you create the graph? Just slide across taking measurements and logging the values I presume. How could you be accurate where you were measuring? (Great idea though!)
I took about 20 reading with the colorimeter across the screen using the single measure feature in HCFR. Then cut/paste the Y (luminance) values into Excel and created a chart. Not sure how accurate it is at such low luminance levels, but thought it was worth trying. I did wonder whether manufacturers like Panasonic have a view on acceptable variance in luminance across a 5% field.