AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2896737-oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html)

VidPro 07-14-2017 09:20 AM

OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting

2 Attachment(s)
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion. This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time. *Please note your panel size and brand.

video_analysis - Slides Here's a link to the slides for those who want 10%, 100% and 0% through 5% for USB playback: https://mega.nz/#!f4Ig2ASC!iu7UrrzLI...uJqDY47lz-xYcs

Please follow these steps when taking pictures of your panel to post in this thread.

Settings

LG OLEDs
ISF Dark
OLED 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Gamma BT.1886

Sony OLEDs
Factory Cinema Pro preset

*Note: Pictures should be taken in a dark room with lights off. If possible, rest camera against a solid surface to reduce blurring.*

***Please allow your panel to go through several auto compensation cycles before posting a pic of your screen uniformity. Out of the box OLEDs with zero hours will not be a good representation of the final look of your panel.***

Helpful links and Information

5% Banding Test YouTube

mrtickleuk
The OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, camera drifts up the stairs.

video_analysis
Marco Polo - Netflix - 14-16 minutes (S1E3)

The Walking Dead
S08E08

Flaken2000
Here is some content examples I've personally used.
Arrival
First, where she is walking into school through the corridors up the steps (from 4:00). Camera panning over grass field (from 18:48). Next when they first go up into the capsule and travel up (from 26:20). Another is right at the end of the film where the camera pans down from the ceiling to the scene looking out through the window to the sea (from 1:45:25).

Interstellar
At the beginning of the movie, right after the flight scene, main character wakes up (1:48). Very dark scene.

The Martian
At the beginning of the movie, horizontal camera pan showing Mars red mountains (1:26)

Prometheus
Scenes in the caves on the alien world (34:11)

Passengers
Pool scene. Panning shot of spaceship (41:35)

Recently Added

Wizziwig

Zero Dark Thirty
5 minute raid scene starting at 2:00:00) with pics posted here.

Star Trek Beyond
Camera pan over space background starting around 0:11:30 - 0:12:30

Oblivion
Camera pan over smoke filled crash-site at 0:50:00

The OA
S01E01 - Camera panning inside dimly lit room.- 0:10:30:

steakhouse_
Mindhunters Episode 8 - Netflix - at 47:15

jerrolds 07-14-2017 09:49 AM

Can you throw up a link for the 5% slides?

VidPro 07-14-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrolds (Post 54276273)
Can you throw up a link for the 5% slides?

I think most simply use this YouTube video.

I'll see if I can get a downloadable slide link.

jerrolds 07-14-2017 10:01 AM

Oh cool thanks - that should be enough

alexanderg823 07-14-2017 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's mine after 200 some hours:

gadgtfreek 07-14-2017 10:04 AM

Thanks for doing this, it is a big enough issue still in 2017 to warrant it's own discussion.

jasyn 07-14-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 54275433)
If you have an OLED and want to post your 5% grey slides etc., please post them here for discussion.

This can be the place for us to compare and contrast our panels. It may even show us if any of these issues get better over time.

Here's a couple of examples from my C7 that I have at the moment.

One is a slide and the other is from a movie. You can see the vignetting on the right side of the panel.

What movie is that? Time frame? Settings used?

smurraybhm 07-14-2017 10:37 AM

Thanks for putting this up.

RTracey 07-14-2017 10:39 AM

Might also be helpful to state whether it's a 55" or 65" (assuming it's not already in your signature), as I gather from reading other posts that there are more issues with the 65".

RTracey 07-14-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexanderg823 (Post 54276577)
here's mine after 200 some hours:

Looks like you won the lottery :D

alexanderg823 07-14-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTracey (Post 54277441)
Looks like you won the lottery :D

no way... looks awful in real low light content, i think it's just the camera exposure that's flattening it out. the two goal posts are clearly visible in low light scenes

wxman 07-14-2017 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1300 hours on my E6. Hasn't changed much since running it's first auto comp cycle.

alexanderg823 07-14-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 54278593)
1300 hours on my E6. Hasn't changed much since running it's first auto comp cycle.

that doesn't look too bad, can you see banding in dark content?

wxman 07-14-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexanderg823 (Post 54278657)
that doesn't look too bad, can you see banding in dark content?

Never notice banding at all. The slides you really want to look at are the 1 and 2% slides. Those are the near black slides that will be the problem in low light scenes. That's why the EF9500 has really bad banding issues. The 5% slides really didn't show much issue on those tv's, but once you loaded the 1 and 2%, it was jail bar city.

alexanderg823 07-14-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 54278761)
Never notice banding at all. The slides you really want to look at are the 1 and 2% slides. Those are the near black slides that will be the problem in low light scenes. That's why the EF9500 has really bad banding issues. The 5% slides really didn't show much issue on those tv's, but once you loaded the 1 and 2%, it was jail bar city.

true that! Same with vignetting

Flaken2000 07-14-2017 11:56 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks Vidpro for creating this thread.

I've attached a couple pictures. LG OLED65B7P.

1) My first panel. It had banding all over the place and could easily see it in all content. It was very distracting. It was bothering me a lot.

2) Banding from a scene in Interstellar. Phone camera overexposes the issue but you get the idea.

3) Banding from a scene in Prometheus. Phone camera over-exagerates the issue but it was very easy to see in real life.

4) Again from Prometheus. Same deal.

5) Banding from the Infamous panning shot in Arrival (18:48). It looked pretty much like that in real life.

All the above are from my first panel.

6) 5% Grey scale from my 2nd panel after LG replaced the first one. It has much better uniformity. I can still see bands but way less frequently and when I do, it is less obvious. Using the same scenes as above: can barely see banding in Interstellar. Don't see it in Prometheus and can see very faint in Arrival.
This is from a 65''.

7) Same as 2 but on the 2nd panel

8) Same as 4 on the 2nd panel

9) Same as 5 on the 2nd panel

Vidpro may I suggest we settle on one picture preset that we could suggest to people they use while taking the photo. I picked ISF Dark, not sure what others are using.

Thanks.

alexanderg823 07-14-2017 12:01 PM

great pics man, you got any captures in of the same content with the new tv? like that interstellar shot?

Flaken2000 07-14-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexanderg823 (Post 54279449)
great pics man, you got any captures in of the same content with the new tv? like that interstellar shot?

Didn't take any pictures except 5% grey on the 2nd panel. There was no need - I took those pictures in the first place to show LG what was what :)

I'll try to take at least one and update my post.

Qu1ckset 07-14-2017 12:17 PM

Posted this in the other thread but figured id ask here as well thanks

Hey guys what brightness/oled light settings are you using for the 5% grey test, I initially tested it and I seen a bit of banding and some black blobs but then I realized the tv was on power saving mode which has oled light completely off. So with oled light max and brightness 50% it was near perfect and with brightness set to 100% it was perfect. May6 build.

RTracey 07-14-2017 12:43 PM

Anyone have any opinion or info on how many panel wipes gets you to a point of diminishing returns when trying to reduce the banding/vignetting? I seem to recall one post in another thread from a guy who reported that doing a 3rd panel wipe actually made his panel worse.

VidPro 07-14-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasyn (Post 54277121)
What movie is that? Time frame? Settings used?

I think I was watching it (Christine) on TV. I don't have a time stamp other than it's probably the last third of the movie. Also don't remember how the TV was set. Sorry.

VidPro 07-14-2017 12:52 PM

Any black frame will do. Even a freeze of a fade out. If you do a freeze frame on say DirecTV, remember you may get some noise from the video. I simply find any full black screen and pause. Once you do that just click your brightness either side of 50 up or down to see what's going on. A 5% slide doesn't tell the whole story.

VidPro 07-14-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTracey (Post 54280401)
Anyone have any opinion or info on how many panel wipes gets you to a point of diminishing returns when trying to reduce the banding/vignetting? I seem to recall one post in another thread from a guy who reported that doing a 3rd panel wipe actually made his panel worse.

It seems after the first couple it is what it is other than banding maybe fading over a lot of hours.

Qu1ckset 07-14-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 54280601)
Any black frame will do. Even a freeze of a fade out. If you do a freeze frame on say DirecTV, remember you may get some noise from the video. I simply find any full black screen and pause. Once you do that just click your brightness either side of 50 up or down to see what's going on. A 5% slide doesn't tell the whole story.

What about OLED light ? Should that be on ?

VidPro 07-14-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qu1ckset (Post 54280761)
What about OLED light ? Should that be on ?

It don't think it really matters, but I'd keep it on.

VidPro 07-14-2017 01:09 PM

Just to be fair, slides are one way of checking. As we are reminded, there are no perfect TVs. I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for a viewing experience where the faults of the screen are not pulling me out of the movie I'm watching. So the real thing you want to know is do you see these issues when watching "real" content.

That being said, the other way to check is to just watch a varied amount of content. If you don't see these issues cropping up or cropping up too often and they don't bother you, then you're good to go.

matt310 07-14-2017 01:18 PM

May I recommend that we post the model and size of our sets when posting slides? Would be nice to get a sampling of 65 vs. 55 (and 77) uniformity, etc. Also, does the forum support a poll? Probably unscientific, but might be helpful in tabulating actual numbers of people experiencing panel issues (banding, vignetting, reverse vignetting, uneven whites, yellow bands, warped/bent panels, etc.)

Culpepper 07-14-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTracey (Post 54277409)
Might also be helpful to state whether it's a 55" or 65" (assuming it's not already in your signature), as I gather from reading other posts that there are more issues with the 65".

Agreed. Not only the size, but the brand and model number. It would be great to see a mixture of Sony and LG OLEDs (and other brands) in different screen sizes.

VidPro 07-14-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culpepper (Post 54281289)
Agreed. Not only the size, but the brand and model number. It would be great to see a mixture of Sonys and LGs in different screen sizes.

Good point. I'll add it to the first post.

Qu1ckset 07-14-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 54281033)
Just to be fair, slides are one way of checking. As we are reminded, there are no perfect TVs. I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for a viewing experience where the faults of the screen are not pulling me out of the movie I'm watching. So the real thing you want to know is do you see these issues when watching "real" content.

That being said, the other way to check is to just watch a varied amount of content. If you don't see these issues cropping up or cropping up too often and they don't bother you, then you're good to go.

Well so far I've watched xman , bit of sports and played some battlefield 1 on my PS4 and haven't noticed anything , when it gets darker I'm gunna do another slide test with 30-40% OLED Light and 50% brightness just to see because 100% OLED and 50% brightness it was near perfect , il post pics as well.