Warning to all current, future OLED TV Owners - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #421 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2828
Well it seems that LG is not believing in the reported cases. I think that they would have replaced the panels if they feel that it was their fault. But they don't feel this way. They know the tech more than anyone and how exactly works.

Organic light isn't as new as some people think ,they have been working with this tech for years and have done all kind of tests that you could imagine.

For me is very hard to believe that the tech will easily fail at the current stage ,I know that burn can happen but IMO wont happen that easy.

Last edited by losservatore; 01-03-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Do some people really think that LG hasn't run any burn in tests and QC on their Oleds? They must be pretty confident about denying burn in cases. Emmisive tech is prone to burn in but only if you let the TV for hours and hours with static images.

unfortunately some left the TV on news for hours and hours. This TV run a comp cycle every 4 hours ,if you watch a lot of news then turn the TV off every 4 hours and let it run its comp cycle.You will see a red light on the back were the vents are,it will turn off after it finish the comp cycle.

Yes we have cases of tint and banding but it seems that is inherent to Oled.What I woud like LG to do is to add more info about Bi in the owners manual.
I agree on the owners manual having more detailed info about what to do and not do. Honestly, the plasma manuals that I had only mentioned it briefly and certainly didnt devote chapter after chapter to it either. Most mfgers probaby figure that it takes a lot to have it happen. That doesnt seem to the case with some users here which does suck. But, in fairness to LG, Sony, whatever panel maker - you cant expect them to cover burn-in when it is entirely possible that some of these cases are either abuse or extreme use cases. How would they be able to tell?

Curious to see how this plays out. If its really a widespread problem then action will be taken. If it isnt, then there will be some angry buyers(cant blame them) but the issue will simply be a warning type of thing.
losservatore likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #423 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaz View Post
RGB OLED would be even simpler because the color would be within the emitter - thereby eliminating another layer.
Ah no, just ask Samsung how hard it is to dep individual pockets of OLED material. It's all about yields, and this is what killed their S9C, much to the world's sadness, even if it was stupidly curved.

The advantage to the LGD technique is that they're able to apply the OLED material without regard for discrete packets of variably emitting sub pixels of different frequencies. We've discussed this to death over the years in incredibly exacting detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I am LOL'ing at that admission since uniformity is still a wreck 4 years later. I believe the electrical current delivery to provide equitable lighting across the entire screen near black continues to be the real ballbuster for LGD.
Hey VA, good to see ya again. Yeah, the more I look into this, the more I'm amazed that they're able to pull off uniformity to the degree they have. They're trying to generate excitation in a material that is nearly impossible to evenly put on, and might have dramatically different wear curves (forget mere emission curves) region to region on the screen depending on how much was deposited in the chamber.

That's a nightmarish wear-balancing nut to crack that they apparently still can't quite figure out.

I'm betting that the "ta-da" moment here will be related to some kind of better direct feedback from each of the stacks themselves. But given how hard it is to dig details up about this stuff, we're all left to only guessing. Perhaps there's a capacitance or impedance curve that can be interpolated from periodically from the cells when they are off. {shrug}. But whenever the solution happens, I suspect it'll be all at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 663
8K nearly already (someone said 2019?) Hell, unless one needs a new TV immediately, one might as well just skip 4K, then as no one is going to wanto to keep "pushing" 4K once 8K sets are selling like hotcakes. Here's the opening for HD-DVD Mark 2 if they get to the market first?

(And it doesn't matter whether 8K is "needed" or even an ACTUAL improvement in a given house. People believe numbers and like to brag so it well sell no matter what).
post #425 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
8K nearly already (someone said 2019?) Hell, unless one needs a new TV immediately, one might as well just skip 4K, then as no one is going to wanto to keep "pushing" 4K once 8K sets are selling like hotcakes. Here's the opening for HD-DVD Mark 2 if they get to the market first?

(And it doesn't matter whether 8K is "needed" or even an ACTUAL improvement in a given house. People believe numbers and like to brag so it well sell no matter what).
I dunno man - I think even a good majority of the hobbyists are growing weary of more and more pixels being thrown at us. The "gains" are becoming more and more trivial as we go along here and anything other tha gigantic screens are not going to benefit from more pixels than the 8+ million that 4K provides. I just cant see it being mainstream at all. Sure, the well-off with copius amounts of expendable income or those with monster theaters may bite but most mortals are pretty happy with their 4K setups right now.

Id be more interested in 3D coming back or something like that versus more pixels!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #426 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
^^^Well they might come up with super extreme hdr by then🤣
post #427 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I dunno man - I think even a good majority of the hobbyists are growing weary of more and more pixels being thrown at us. The "gains" are becoming more and more trivial as we go along here and anything other tha gigantic screens are not going to benefit from more pixels than the 8+ million that 4K provides. I just cant see it being mainstream at all. Sure, the well-off with copius amounts of expendable income or those with monster theaters may bite but most mortals are pretty happy with their 4K setups right now.

Id be more interested in 3D coming back or something like that versus more pixels!
What I'm saying is that after reading that 8K sets are coming out in 2019 is that I don't think you will be given a real choice at some point. 8K will be the next big "PUSH" and all those "4K" BDs will suddenly evaporate and they'll go straight to 8K SUPER ULTRA (or whatever they end up calling it). Japan said long ago they were skipping 4K and going straight to 8K. People didn't listen and so they will end up with abandoned 4K BDs in a very short period of time. I mean how long did it take to go to 1080p? How long to 4K? Now 8K is NEXT YEAR??? WTF!?!?

Thus, I'm saying 4K will never be adopted to the point of it being worth keeping around. I mean who is going to buy 4K discs if 8K discs are available? The important thing is they will be able to raise the price of TVs once again and push 8K as the best thing since sliced avocados. I mean 4K is worthless in all but high-end setups. That's why they added HDR (something you can actually SEE 20 feet from a 65" set). It's there to fool you into thinking 4K matters on sets less than 80" (unless you enjoy sitting 3-5 feet away). Besides, they can already stream 4K (see VUDU, AppleTV, etc.). Streaming 8K will take a bit more bandwidth and thus it's more ideal for selling physical discs once again. I'm betting 8K will have some new feature that will make you think it's magical too, perhaps 3D without glasses or built-in support for VR viewing so you can watch a "virtual" 100 foot screen with a headset if you prefer. They have to keep upping the ante, or they don't make any real profits on TVs. I've read before that 16-20k or so is the REAL magical number for making TV sets that look like actual windows as you approach them (BTTF "scenery channel" for apartments with no view).
post #428 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
8K at 65 inch is not worth the money they will charge extra at this point as compared to 4K sets, 4K without HDR is not much difference in 65 inch set as compared to 1080p set, it will take some time to for 8K to be in under 3K price range for 65 inch set, 4K is out almost 5 years now but not until 2016 when HDR sets for 65 inch come under $2k price 4k took off at very high acceptance rate. 4k content on the other hand is still pretty much online requires good high speed connection which is still an issue for people living far away from big cities. broadcast content is pretty much non existent at this point.

With LG OLED BI issue only SONY Z series TV is somewhat better with off axis viewing issue of LCD still there, there is no set worth the money these guys are asking. QLED is biggest bust.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #429 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
One of my E6's developed burn in from about 200 total viewing hours of CNN over a six month period of time, a couple of hours at a sitting. Not exactly abuse in my mind.

I would love to see LG served a class action suit to see what is in LG's records that will come out during the discovery process.
Man, that's scary! When was your E6 manufactured? Mine is from March 2017 and after 1200+ hours of browsing static content (mostly text on white background but the tabs at the top are static and colorful) seems ok so wonder if this is something they fixed in more recent manufacturing process.
post #430 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
What I'm saying is that after reading that 8K sets are coming out in 2019 is that I don't think you will be given a real choice at some point. 8K will be the next big "PUSH" and all those "4K" BDs will suddenly evaporate and they'll go straight to 8K SUPER ULTRA (or whatever they end up calling it). Japan said long ago they were skipping 4K and going straight to 8K. People didn't listen and so they will end up with abandoned 4K BDs in a very short period of time. I mean how long did it take to go to 1080p? How long to 4K? Now 8K is NEXT YEAR??? WTF!?!?

Thus, I'm saying 4K will never be adopted to the point of it being worth keeping around. I mean who is going to buy 4K discs if 8K discs are available? The important thing is they will be able to raise the price of TVs once again and push 8K as the best thing since sliced avocados. I mean 4K is worthless in all but high-end setups. That's why they added HDR (something you can actually SEE 20 feet from a 65" set). It's there to fool you into thinking 4K matters on sets less than 80" (unless you enjoy sitting 3-5 feet away). Besides, they can already stream 4K (see VUDU, AppleTV, etc.). Streaming 8K will take a bit more bandwidth and thus it's more ideal for selling physical discs once again. I'm betting 8K will have some new feature that will make you think it's magical too, perhaps 3D without glasses or built-in support for VR viewing so you can watch a "virtual" 100 foot screen with a headset if you prefer. They have to keep upping the ante, or they don't make any real profits on TVs. I've read before that 16-20k or so is the REAL magical number for making TV sets that look like actual windows as you approach them (BTTF "scenery channel" for apartments with no view).
4k is possible on discs using triple layer bluray with some 100GB capacity. I don't know of any current media format that can give you 4 times that capacity, which seems like it would be required to do 8k properly. Maybe due to side by side pixels being even more likely to be the same or similar in 8k content, maybe only double the capacity is needed over 4k, but it seems we would need either that or much better compression than we currently have, and there isn't any new video compression format that I have heard of that could do that. So really I am not so sure 8k physical media is coming any time soon.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #431 of 807 Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian96 View Post
Man, that's scary! When was your E6 manufactured? Mine is from March 2017 and after 1200+ hours of browsing static content (mostly text on white background but the tabs at the top are static and colorful) seems ok so wonder if this is something they fixed in more recent manufacturing process.

The E6 that developed burn in was manufactured by LG in November, 2016.

Sony XBR55A1E
LG OLED55E6P
post #432 of 807 Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 AM
aaz

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Ah no, just ask Samsung how hard it is to dep individual pockets of OLED material. It's all about yields, ...

The advantage to the LGD technique is that they're able to apply the OLED material without regard for discrete packets of variably emitting sub pixels of different frequencies. We've discussed this to death over the years in incredibly exacting detail.
Pshaw, the limitations are only with the current technology. When printing OLED material becomes viable in 3 years watch that equation get turned on its head. When you can print RGB OLED that will be the best method, and will definitely simplify the production of big and tiny tvs. Just watch for small 8 inch active content on your serial boxes in 2025. (the funny thing is that I actually got an advertising pamphlet from HP printers this year that included a tiny LCD screen with a video that changed as you turned the pages (the LCD was in a cutout - it must have cost them huge coin in 2017 to produce that but I have to give them props as it's one piece of junk mail that I remember and still am keeping it.))

If only they could develop OLED materials that are more resilient and don't age as fast.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65A1E | Yamaha YSP 5600 | Sunfire HRS10 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4K | Sony BDP-S6200 | (soon) XBox One X | Harmony Ultimate one
Living Room: Panasonic 65VT30 | Yamaha YSP 4300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4 | PS3 | Harmony | Harmony one
Bedroom: LG 43UJ6300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 3 | Harmony one
post #433 of 807 Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
NEW TESTING METHODOLOGY BEGUN AT RTINGS.COM

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test
robertw11 likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #434 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM
aaz

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Interestingly - I posted this in one of the BI threads, but apparently not the main one.
Apparently 60 hours for a samsung OLED screen on a phone to BI, and LG mobile OLED screen is even worse. There really should be some warning to phone owners out there not to buy OLED. It takes 17 hours for an image to burn in on the iPhone X, test shows Samsung phones didn't perform as well, but their owners shouldn't worry either.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65A1E | Yamaha YSP 5600 | Sunfire HRS10 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4K | Sony BDP-S6200 | (soon) XBox One X | Harmony Ultimate one
Living Room: Panasonic 65VT30 | Yamaha YSP 4300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4 | PS3 | Harmony | Harmony one
Bedroom: LG 43UJ6300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 3 | Harmony one
post #435 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interestingly - I posted this in one of the BI threads, but apparently not the main one.
Apparently 60 hours for a samsung OLED screen on a phone to BI, and LG mobile OLED screen is even worse. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] There really should be some warning to phone owners out there not to buy OLED. It takes 17 hours for an image to burn in on the iPhone X, test shows Samsung phones didn't perform as well, but their owners shouldn't worry either.
Yet reviewers constantly derided the iPhone for it's conventional screen and "old fashioned" bezel, leading Apple to cave and make the crappy X model without a home button (sucks) just because OLEDs are "so gorgeous". Yeah that review sample looks great. Just don't look at it 20 hours later when you left it on without a screen saver. Apparently, functionality doesn't mean anything anymore. It's all about curb appeal. But then Apple has always been a sucker for that. Can you imagine an OLED monitor? How long before the desktop burns in? Not worth it.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #436 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Yet reviewers constantly derided the iPhone for it's conventional screen and "old fashioned" bezel, leading Apple to cave and make the crappy X model without a home button (sucks) just because OLEDs are "so gorgeous". Yeah that review sample looks great. Just don't look at it 20 hours later when you left it on without a screen saver. Apparently, functionality doesn't mean anything anymore. It's all about curb appeal. But then Apple has always been a sucker for that. Can you imagine an OLED monitor? How long before the desktop burns in? Not worth it.
The scenario of 20 hours without screen saver is fiction at least, how on earth any phone can last 20 hours? Max battery time with screen on is 7-8 hours i think.
Also what app will let the phone in such state? A game maybe.
And finally where you will be for 20 hours straight without touching your phone?
post #437 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some people must not actually use phones very creatively... I plug one in to charge by my viewing chair so I can look things up or use it as a remote for my AV system. It will stay on forever if used plugged in.

I don't have a screen saver enabled since it can't burn in and I turn it off when I'm done (having it blackout while having it monitor the security cameras so I don't have to get up to keep an eye on the guys working in the yard or to see my brother pull up in the driveway is annoying to say the least). But move to OLED and I couldn't use it for tasks like that or I'd have my driveway permanently burned into the screen.

It's beside the point, however. The damage is cumulative. Hours on the home screen will eventually add up and burn in no matter what. The question is whether you'll have moved on to another phone before it gets noticeable. This will depend entirely how you use it.

The best thing about LCD over CRT was size/weight and no burn in. OLED has managed to kill off half of it....

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #438 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
NEW TESTING METHODOLOGY BEGUN AT RTINGS.COM

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

A lot of OLED owners state they use these panels exclusively for movie watching and other panels for general TV watching such as sports, gaming, and TV shows including the news. I gather they reserve the OLED for movies only in order to use it where it shines best and not waste it on normal programming that really doesn't utilize the full benefits of OLED due to the poor sources at the front of the chain. I assume this is also advantages to help limit the hours an OLED incurs whether it contributes to burn-in or not. It also introduces the black bar letterboxing and subtitle additions some say helps lead to inconsistent pixel usage resulting in uneven wear as time goes by should the panel be put into general use. I would think rtings, now that they are going to do another run at the tests with 6 additional specific same model panels, would have considered this common scenario since it appears they want to do it again more thoroughly due to complaints the 1st disappointing test was unfair? It appears this test wasn't included or deemed necessary opting for various broadcast TV scenarios at low resolution, color gamut, and nit values instead. I don't think these 6 test values represent a broad range of users unless movie watchers only are a smaller niche than I think. Imo, their tests represent the broad range of TV viewers in general but I estimate OLED TV viewers are more videophile and gravitate towards movies only. Considering this is an OLED test only, I wonder what your thoughts are as OLED users?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #439 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Apparently 60 hours for a samsung OLED screen on a phone to BI, and LG mobile OLED screen is even worse. There really should be some warning to phone owners out there not to buy OLED. It takes 17 hours for an image to burn in on the iPhone X, test shows Samsung phones didn't perform as well, but their owners shouldn't worry either.
Re: LG, the linked test didn't estimate how many hours it took the navigation icons to burn in, but my LG V30+ (underrated phone, too bad LG's marketing and logistics dept. are so inept) recently passed the 2-week mark and is doing just fine. I'm obviously not going to leave the screen on standby given the risks. If I continue to use this phone like I did my prior ones (Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge, Galaxy 3, a Moto with an OLED screen), I don't think I have much to worry about.
post #440 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, I just wanted to provide my experiences with burn-in. I found this thread after searching google for LG B6P burn-in. I bought this TV last year and I was one of those people who dismissed claims of burn-in for newer model OLED tv's as paranoia and outdated misconception. I believed that newer OLED sets did not have this problem under regular conditions of use. I was wrong. I noticed burn-in on my set after a day of watching CNN. The banner that said 'Breaking News' along with the CNN logo is now burned into my OLED set and nothing seems to get rid of it. I've run LG's Clear Panel Noise option several times now and nothing has helped. I've kept the Pixel Shift option on the whole time which did not prevent the issue from occurring whatsoever. The burn in is not noticeable under normal viewing conditions but becomes noticeable when the screen image displays a bright uniform color, such as red, yellow or green. It is most noticeable when viewing Youtube videos.

Because of this thread, I've now lowered my OLED light from 100 down to 45 and turned on my energy saving options. Who knows if that'll help but what else can I do? I'll continue running Clear Panel Noise but don't expect it to help much. If anyone is considering buying an OLED TV, I'd suggest waiting until these issues are sorted out. Don't believe LG's marketing claims that burn-in is an issue of the past and doesn't occur under normal viewing conditions, or that somehow their software will prevent it from happening. It's all lies. All it took was one day of watching CNN for my panel to retain a residual image which now seems permanent.
AV Challenged likes this.
post #441 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only a day of CNN? I'm not going to call you a liar, but that seems unlikely. Now it would be more believable if you (or someone in your household) had been watching the channel over the course of ownership (because cumulative usage is ultimately what wrecks the TVs in every case we've seen), but a single day belies belief even at 100 OLED light.
post #442 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzza View Post
Hello, I just wanted to provide my experiences with burn-in. I found this thread after searching google for LG B6P burn-in. I bought this TV last year and I was one of those people who dismissed claims of burn-in for newer model OLED tv's as paranoia and outdated misconception. I believed that newer OLED sets did not have this problem under regular conditions of use. I was wrong. I noticed burn-in on my set after a day of watching CNN. The banner that said 'Breaking News' along with the CNN logo is now burned into my OLED set and nothing seems to get rid of it. I've run LG's Clear Panel Noise option several times now and nothing has helped. I've kept the Pixel Shift option on the whole time which did not prevent the issue from occurring whatsoever. The burn in is not noticeable under normal viewing conditions but becomes noticeable when the screen image displays a bright uniform color, such as red, yellow or green. It is most noticeable when viewing Youtube videos.

Because of this thread, I've now lowered my OLED light from 100 down to 45 and turned on my energy saving options. Who knows if that'll help but what else can I do? I'll continue running Clear Panel Noise but don't expect it to help much. If anyone is considering buying an OLED TV, I'd suggest waiting until these issues are sorted out. Don't believe LG's marketing claims that burn-in is an issue of the past and doesn't occur under normal viewing conditions, or that somehow their software will prevent it from happening. It's all lies. All it took was one day of watching CNN for my panel to retain a residual image which now seems permanent.
What is the manufacture date of your B6? The date is the first three digits of the serial number.

Sony XBR55A1E
LG OLED55E6P
post #443 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
In the last page I had provided my anecdote - my E6 is my monitor, just that I sit 9 ft away. Everything from watching news to browsing and even some photo editing is done right on this monitor - 8+ hours a day on average for over last 8+ months (weekends probably 12 hrs straight). So yes, I can not only imagine but also living with an OLED monitor.

How long before desktop burns it? Longer than 8-9 months for sure. OLED light is set at 80, if that matters.
post #444 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
A lot of OLED owners state they use these panels exclusively for movie watching and other panels for general TV watching such as sports, gaming, and TV shows including the news. I gather they reserve the OLED for movies only in order to use it where it shines best and not waste it on normal programming that really doesn't utilize the full benefits of OLED due to the poor sources at the front of the chain. I assume this is also advantages to help limit the hours an OLED incurs whether it contributes to burn-in or not. It also introduces the black bar letterboxing and subtitle additions some say helps lead to inconsistent pixel usage resulting in uneven wear as time goes by should the panel be put into general use. I would think rtings, now that they are going to do another run at the tests with 6 additional specific same model panels, would have considered this common scenario since it appears they want to do it again more thoroughly due to complaints the 1st disappointing test was unfair? It appears this test wasn't included or deemed necessary opting for various broadcast TV scenarios at low resolution, color gamut, and nit values instead. I don't think these 6 test values represent a broad range of users unless movie watchers only are a smaller niche than I think. Imo, their tests represent the broad range of TV viewers in general but I estimate OLED TV viewers are more videophile and gravitate towards movies only. Considering this is an OLED test only, I wonder what your thoughts are as OLED users?
I might be an outlier but my theory is that I should take advantage of the best screen in the house for everything, if possible - even when it doesn't help (browsing or news channel on Sling TV), it doesn't hurt.

Now obviously I don't keep it on for 20 hours straight (or even 8 hours on the same channel), I still find it hard to believe BI after 20 hours on a news channel - the amount commercial FN/CNN has these days (irritatingly, every few minutes), won't those work very well as screensavers. No logo on commercials, at least on Sling.
post #445 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Only a day of CNN? I'm not going to call you a liar, but that seems unlikely. Now it would be more believable if you (or someone in your household) had been watching the channel over the course of ownership (because cumulative usage is ultimately what wrecks the TVs in every case we've seen), but a single day belies belief even at 100 OLED light.
Well, I'm not a liar and I have no reason to lie. So I don't know what to tell you. I swear this is what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
What is the manufacture date of your B6? The date is the first three digits of the serial number.
post #446 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Here is proof for people who think I'm lying. This happened after ONE DAY of watching CNN. I'm currently running a video off Youtube that claims to fix burn in on OLEDs. Who knows if it'll work but I'll try anything at this point
post #447 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I didn't call you a liar but it's suspect that up to 24 hours of viewing caused it. What's the total # of hours of usage on the TV? Are you the only person who uses the TV (unless you live alone, what is the probability that other household members have been watching the same channel unbeknownst to you)?
post #448 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Again, I didn't call you a liar but it's suspect that up to 24 hours of viewing caused it. What's the total # of hours of usage on the TV? Are you the only person who uses the TV (unless you live alone, what is the probability that other household members have been watching the same channel unbeknownst to you)?
I'm the only one that watches it, it's in my bedroom. I have no idea how to estimate the total number of hours of usage on a TV. I bought it in November 2016 off Amazon and have used it regularly since then. If we go by LG's marketing, they basically claim that their OLED tv's last for 10 years of regular usage. I think the number I've seen one of their spokespeople throw around is up to 100,000 hours of regular usage. That equals over 10 years. I can tell you for a fact that they're full of **** because my problem occurred after a single day of keeping the channel on CNN. I can't tell you how long I watched CNN that day. Maybe it was 5 hours, maybe 6. Who knows. But I didn't think it was a problem because of LG's marketing claims and because there were commercials interspersed in the program. Clearly, I underestimated the potential for burn in with OLED sets by a wide margin.
post #449 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No estimation required, it keeps a running tally of total hours available in the general settings (it's nested, however, so not real obvious...but listed under TV information). That's defective merchandise either way.
post #450 of 807 Old 01-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No estimation required, it keeps a running tally of total hours available in the general settings (it's nested, however, so not real obvious...but listed under TV information). That's defective merchandise either way.
3654 hours

thats a lot of power on time for only owning it a little over a year, I guess I'm a TV junkie. I wonder if it includes standby time in the calculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn , burn-in , image retention , oled , screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page