Warning to all current, future OLED TV Owners - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #1 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Warning to all current, future OLED TV Owners

TLDR: OLED SCREEN BURN IN CAN HAPPEN WITH NORMAL TV USE. HAPPENED TO ME. EARLY STAGES OF BURN-IN MAY NOT BE VISIBLE WATCHING NORMAL CONTENT. READ BELOW FOR ADVICE HOW TO CHECK FOR EARLY BURN-IN AND HELP PREVENT IT OR KEEP IT FROM GETTING WORSE.

If you own or are considering purchasing an OLED TV, please read this post. It is for your benefit, especially for those not very familiar with the technology. I'm posting this because I want you to be able to enjoy your TV for a long time and avoid a potential problem, that I have personally experienced, and others have reported with LG OLED TVs - screen burn in. I'm going to post this as for someone that may not know anything about screen burn in, so all of you reading this that are familiar with the issue, don't get offended that I'm talking down to you. If you have anything useful to add or correct, please post.

WHAT IS SCREEN BURN IN?

Screen burn in is basically when a static image, like a channel/station logo, sticks or gets "burned in" to the screen to some extent, and then may be visible on other channels and content that you watch as a ghost or shadow image. It's typically caused by displaying such static logos or graphics for prolonged periods of time. There is also something called temporary image retention, which appears similar to burn in, but goes away after several minutes/hours of watching various, random content. This post is focused on burn in, which may be permanent or last a very long time (months or even years).

MY PERSONAL EXAMPLE OF BURN IN ON AN LG OLED TV

My parents bought a brand new LG OLED65B6P TV in August of 2016. After about 6 months of watching MSNBC for about 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, the left side of the NBC peacock station logo became visible as a dark spot while watching other content (not MSNBC). The TV was also used for a few hours daily watching other, non-MSNBC content. It's been a few months since we identified the issue, and we almost never watch MSNBC on this TV anymore. However, the burned in logo is still visible watching other content, months later. It's only visible when specific colors like red, brown/tan, yellow, orange, and certain shades of other colors are displayed in the area of the burned in logo. I'd wildly guess that more than 65% of the time, the burn in is not visible.

WHAT TO DO TO HELP PREVENT BURN-IN ON YOUR LG OLED TV

1. Try to limit displaying content that contains static (non-moving) logos or graphics, especially news channels like MSNBC, CNN, FOX News, etc., and some video games.
  2. Be especially aware of static logos or graphics consisting of yellow, orange, or red colors. Virtually all LG OLED burn in reports to date stem from those colors. It may be possible that other colors also can cause burn in if static logos/graphics are displayed long enough. Someone reported green also causing their burn in.
  3. Set your OLED Light to a low level, as low as possible that is still comfortable for you to watch. The higher the OLED Light setting, the quicker bright, static elements will burn in. There may not be a completely "safe" setting. My parents' TV is set at 60 and got burn in.
  4. Set your Contrast lower if possible. My parents' TV is set at 84, which is the proper level using test patterns, but that setting likely increases the risk.
  5. Enable your Energy Saving setting. Leaving it OFF does not dim the TV light output based on room light, possibly increasing risk of burn in.
  6. Make sure the Screen Shift option is enabled. My parents' TV had it enabled, so it may or may not prevent or help reduce the risk of burn in.
  7. Always turn off the TV with the remote and leave the TV connected to power at all times. This allows compensation cycles to run while the TV is in standby, helping to clear up temporary image retention and possibly reducing risk of burn in. Didn't help my parents, but I hear it's very important.
  8. Purchase an extended warranty that specifically covers burn-in or permanent image retention. LG's warranty does not cover burn in.
  9. If you must watch content with brightly colored, static logos/graphics like news channels, consider using the "all-direction zoom" in aspect ratio settings to zoom and move the static elements off the screen.
Note: The above is a list of some of the things you can do to help prevent or reduce the risk of burn in. Ultimately, if you don't watch content with bright, colored static logos or graphics, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, and can probably ignore all the other suggestions.

HOW CAN I CHECK TO SEE IF I HAVE EARLY STAGES OF BURN IN?

Burn in may not be immediately noticeable, especially when watching normal content. I believe it's something that gets worse (more noticeable) over time. The longer the TV displays the same static logos or graphics, the more noticeable the burn in will become IMO. So just because you don't see any evidence of burn in while watching your LG OLED TV, it doesn't necessarily mean that your TV doesn't already have some early stages of burn in. To check, fire up the Youtube app on your TV (or any other streaming device connected to it), search for "red screen," "red background," or "10 hours of red" and select one of the available videos showing an all red screen. Watch the video for a couple of minutes giving your eyes time to adjust. A dimly lit or dark room is probably best. With no burn in, you should see a more or less uniformly red color across the entire screen. If you do have burn in, it'll show up as a darker area of the screen roughly representing the size and shape of the logo or graphic that caused the burn-in. As an alternative, you can also fire up a fully yellow screen. On a yellow screen, burn in shows up as the color green. I'd personally check with both red and yellow.

WHAT TO DO IF I NOTICE BURN IN?

If you notice burn in, either while watching normally, or using the test above, you may want to run a manual compensation cycle to see if it helps. Go to All Settings - Picture - OLED Panel Settings - Clear Panel Noise and select one of the 2 options (I recommend Start Now). Leave the TV off for 1 hour and let it do its thing. It'll turn itself back on when it's done. You can then check with red/yellow screens to see if it helped. If it's gone, it wasn't burn in, but temporary IR. If it appears to have faded a bit, you can run clear panel noise once or twice more to see if it helps. If it doesn't disappear, you likely have burn in that MAY fade over time. In my parents' case, I ran it a few times, and I didn't notice a difference.

You may want to prevent it from possibly getting worse and more noticeable by refraining from content/games that contain static logos or graphics that caused it in the first place. It's possible the burn-in may fade slowly over time or even disappear (unconfirmed), but unlikely if the TV continues to display the same, offending static elements. Refer to section above regarding what to do to prevent burn in for more pointers.

Finally, please REPORT your experience here or in the OLED Screen Burn thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...rn-photos.html

(Notice how this thread starts off just a few months ago with lots of folks saying that burn in with OLED is impossible under normal use, and later includes several examples of owners actually experiencing it with normal use. It's a big reason why I started this thread. There are probably still some guests and members reading the first page or 2 only of that thread and thinking it's a non-issue. Not good.)

.....and VOTE in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...burn-poll.html

I hope some folks find this helpful. I'd hate to see others have to go through this if it can be prevented.

By the way, I still very much recommend the LG OLED TVs. The picture quality is outstanding! I just wish LG would've been more forthright and honest about the TV's limitations and provided specific instructions on how to use it so that screen burn in does not occur. But I guess if they did that, they may not have sold as many units.

Last edited by no1special; 08-30-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Revise with updated information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
(Notice how this thread starts off just a few months ago with lots of folks saying that burn in with OLED is impossible under normal use,
I'm guilty of this 🤣
post #3 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
I'm guilty of this 🤣
Well at least you came around when the evidence started to surface.
Quebecker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I'm concerned about this now. I had the Kuro for about a year when I noticed burn in. I posted about it on here somewhere I'm sure. I ended up selling it cause it bothered me that much. I never did turn on those features to prevent the burn in on my Kuro, so that was my stupidity. I really hope that doesnt happen again to me, I sold my TV for 1/2 the price I paid for it. The buyer could not even see it so I did not point it out to him, but it was def there clear as day, he was an older man who probably couldnt see 20/20 :-) i have my oled on order and now im having some doubts.
post #5 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
I'm concerned about this now. I had the Kuro for about a year when I noticed burn in. I posted about it on here somewhere I'm sure. I ended up selling it cause it bothered me that much. I never did turn on those features to prevent the burn in on my Kuro, so that was my stupidity. I really hope that doesnt happen again to me, I sold my TV for 1/2 the price I paid for it. The buyer could not even see it so I did not point it out to him, but it was def there clear as day, he was an older man who probably couldnt see 20/20 :-) i have my oled on order and now im having some doubts.
Well, according to the WOLED burn-in poll here, only about 10% of OLEDs have displayed burn in. But this is not a scientific poll. Did each respondent test each of their TVs using red/yellow fullscreen videos, or just used their eyes with normal content? We don't know how they use their TVs or how many hours of use. There's a lot we don't know.

If you can be careful in the ways I posted, then you'll be fine. If you can't, then you may or may not get burn in. May depend on the content, TV settings, and hours of use with said content. You may eventually get it or you may not. Hard to say at this point.

My recommendation to you, and to others, is to get the OLED TV if you can pretty much avoid content with static logos or graphics for hours at a time. Or since you're buying new, try to find an extended warranty provider that covers burn in.
post #6 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
After about 6 months of watching MSNBC for about 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, the left side of the NBC peacock station logo became visible as a dark spot while watching other content (not MSNBC).
I wouldn't call that "normal use" (and that's even withholding any comments about MSNBC's content. )
Spizz, Ken Ross, rlindo and 9 others like this.
post #7 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Another BI thread warning from newbies? I owned mine for 2 years and a lot of others for longer and game/watch channels with logos etc. Nothing. Sorry to disappoint but I appreciate you trying to help others.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #8 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Thanks for the education. It really is depressing. I don't care if it's as low as 10%, that is much too high if it is accurate. When I buy something this expensive, I want to use it and watch it in any way I want without thinking about a logo, or forgetting to unpause my DVR, or how much I'll game, or what colors are displaying for too long, etc.

Every time I feel like I've narrowed down my choice to buy, something pops up that sets me back to ground zero. The extended warranty is something to look into, so thanks. As I'm not looking to buy until the end of the year ill keep monitoring this topic...but I remember how I felt about Plasmas which is why this is making me hesitant with OLEDs and I may end up with an LCD when all is said and done. We shall see. Such a shame, because it is such a stunning image. Maybe toward the end of the year 2018 models will be introduced that deal with this much better.
post #9 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Another BI thread warning from newbies? I owned mine for 2 years and a lot of others for longer and game/watch channels with logos etc. Nothing. Sorry to disappoint but I appreciate you trying to help others.
I've not read any reports of LG OLED models prior to 2016 models exhibiting burn in. It's the 2016 models so far that appear to have problems.

Again, it's not just channels with logos. It's static logos or graphics consisting only of specific colors, how many hours a day the TV displays the content, and what your TV settings are that all contribute to the magic formula as to whether you get the burn in or not. At least how it appears now. Read the post.
dpointer likes this.
post #10 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Please, if you feel the need to post here just to say that you haven't experienced burn in, at least provide the info below. Otherwise, your post has very limited useful information. This thread is not a poll of who has or hasn't experienced burn in with OLED TVs (there's a separate thread for that). Thanks.

Year and Model of your OLED TVs

Whether the TV displays content consisting of static logos or graphics consisting specifically of either yellow, orange, or red colors, or shades of these colors.

How many hours per day, on average, the TV displays such content?

How many total hours of use of your TV?

The TV's OLED Light, Contrast, Energy Saving and Screen Shift settings when displaying such content.
fafrd, iLLWiLL, jcr159 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by no1special; 07-29-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #11 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
I haven't had a horse in this race for some time now, but I just wanted to post here to commend you on the enormous restraint you showed in your post. Most OLED display owners who have been fortunate enough to not experience burn-in tend to be unnecessarily vicious in their treatment of those who post experiences to the contrary.

I think what all current and prospective owners need to keep in mind is that burn-in is a condition that OLED displays are prone to...as far as I can tell from conversations I've had with manufacturers, there is no reliable way to predict which percentage of panels will get it or when (or if) it will happen. Obviously, more research needs to be done.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #12 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
If you take the right precautions you wont get BI,it seems that this reports comes from previous LCD owners.

You will rarely see a previous plasma owner that now own an Oled ,complaining.

I have owned plasmas since 2007 and never experienced a single burn in.
post #13 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
i am waiting for my first OLED Sony A1E, we have nvidia shield to watch hulu netflix youtube, we dont have cable, my wife almost everyday fallow sleep on the sofa and the shield stay on with hulu or netflix menu on it, i can have the shield to start screensaver picture after 5 min of inactivated will this help to no get BI or Image retention?

thanks in advanced

Sony XBR-75X940E | Yamaha CX-A5100 | Anthem MCA 50| Sunfire TGA-7201 | SVS 16-Ultra Subwoofer| 7.1.4 Klipsch RP-450C - RP-260F - RP-240S - RP-160M - 4 In-Ceiling MartinLogan | Nvidia Shield TV | Xbox One | AppleTV

English Is Not My First Language
post #14 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATA7 View Post
i am waiting for my first OLED Sony A1E, we have nvidia shield to watch hulu netflix youtube, we dont have cable, my wife almost everyday fallow sleep on the sofa and the shield stay on with hulu or netflix menu on it, i can have the shield to start screensaver picture after 5 min of inactivated will this help to no get BI or Image retention?

thanks in advanced
Yes the screensaver will help.
post #15 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
If you take the right precautions you wont get BI,it seems that this reports comes from previous LCD owners.

You will rarely see a previous plasma owner that now own an Oled ,complaining.

I have owned plasmas since 2007 and never experienced a single burn in.
We owned a Pioneer Plasma for 7 years and it got burn in of station logos with normal use. Now, we have the OLED and it has done the same, even though LG's website said that they're technology virtually guaranteed that burn in would not occur with normal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATA7 View Post

thanks in advanced
Any streaming device with a built in screensaver after x amount of minutes will help. I'm not familiar with the Sony, but it probably also has similar features built in to either dim the screen or launch a screensaver if it detects a completely static image across the entire screen for a certain amount of time.

That said, a screensaver will not help in situations where only part of the screen has a fixed, static logo or graphic (example being station logos). If you display such content for hours on end, you may end up with that logo or graphic burned in after prolonged use.
post #16 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 490
The Magnolia extended warranty covers screen-burn
no1special likes this.

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #17 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #18 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 3824
FWIW, I tested screen shift on my E6 last night. It seems to have disabled with the latest FW. You can turn it on and off, but now it seems to do nothing. Before if you had it on and then turned it off, you could see the image on the screen shift to the normal position. So if you fear BI with static logos or tickers, you may want to avoid those channels.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #19 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Many of those threads contain outdated information, start off by saying burn in with OLED is impossible with normal use, or don't contain the important information I provided for prospective buyers of OLED TVs in this thread in a front-facing manner. A "warning to all current, future OLED owners" is different than a thread with "burn in" in the title. Not everyone knows what screen burn in is, or what to do to limit the chances of getting it with these LG OLED TVs. Like I said in my OP, this was written more for newbies.

I didn't want this important info, that could help some prevent burn in on their TVs, to get buried deep in an existing thread somewhere.
head_unit, jcr159 and Louis Bartay like this.
post #20 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is ok ,I hope it help someone. anyways the list of threads is there for someone that is looking for more info.

The burn in poll was created this month and is still active ,did you reported your burn in there?

Last edited by losservatore; 07-29-2017 at 11:40 AM.
post #21 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think OLED light has much to do with BI. During the day I run isf bright room which has a default of 100 OLED light and contrast 85. 1500 hours on tv and no BI on my E6. I watch a lot of MLB baseball that has static logos and lucky for me, no BI. I doubled checked by putting up color slides. I read over on AVF that an LG tech said something was disabled in the SM that caused BI and that some tv's left the factory with that setting disabled.

post #22 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't think OLED light has much to do with BI. During the day I run isf bright room which has a default of 100 OLED light and contrast 85. 1500 hours on tv and no BI on my E6. I watch a lot of MLB baseball that has static logos and lucky for me, no BI. I doubled checked by putting up color slides. I read over on AVF that an LG tech said something was disabled in the SM that caused BI and that some tv's left the factory with that setting disabled.
Can you find that link? If there is any truth to this statement, it's pretty big news and I think we shoukd run it to ground.

On your watching of MLB, it would help if you could tell us the total number of hours on your OLED and what number of hours total you would guestimate were displaying MLB static logos (subtracting out as appropriate for adds).
post #23 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Just FYI for anyone reading, screen-shift feature on many TV's (including A1E and some older LG models) only functions if you have overscan enabled. By overscan, I mean the image is zoomed slightly to crop out about 5% of the images borders. If you run the TV with entire image displayed with zero cropping using "just-scan", "full pixel", etc. type modes, then pixel shifting will be disabled because there is no additional image available on the sides that can be shifted into view when the image shifts in the opposite direction. On the 2017 LG models, screen-shift works regardless of zoom mode because LG shifts in a black border when additional content pixels are not available. I suspect that at least some of the people who "think" they're using screen-shift actually aren't because of this issue. Manufacturers should be more clear about this limitation by "graying out" the pixel-shifting feature when it conflicts with the current image zoom mode.

As for whether pixel-shift actually helps with BI, I doubt it unless the static image has features small enough to completely shift the static color away from the affected pixel. For example, if you have a 100x100 pixel yellow square and the shift only shifts by a maximum of 10 pixels, then the inner 80x80 pixels will effectively display 100% yellow all the time and burn-in regardless.

If you require watching content with static elements on an OLED, I would rely mostly on the "zoom" features of your TV or cable-box to save you from BI. On some models like the LG's, you can freely zoom and pan the image using "all-direction-zoom" to shift any static elements off the sides of the screen. The down side is that you'll also be losing some actual image content in those areas you were forced to crop out. Typically the most interesting content is in the center of the screen unless you need to see the tickers or subtitles running on the bottom.
tanis38 and no1special like this.
post #24 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Can you find that link? If there is any truth to this statement, it's pretty big news and I think we shoukd run it to ground.

On your watching of MLB, it would help if you could tell us the total number of hours on your OLED and what number of hours total you would guestimate were displaying MLB static logos (subtracting out as appropriate for adds).
I can't recall when I read that. It has been awhile. I kind of blew it off, since it's just a local repair tech they sent out who stated that to the owner. As far as MLB, I would say more than half the hours I have on the tv since baseball season started in April. I usually watch one game a day, and they take 3 hours on average. So about 80 to 90 hours a month. So in 5 months, a little over 400 hours of watching MLB games. Each half innings last on average 8 minutes, which would be 16 minutes x 9 innings which would be 144 minutes. 2 minutes of commercials between each half inning, so 4 minutes per inning, or about 36 minutes of each 3 hour game is commercials.

post #25 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Just FYI for anyone reading, screen-shift feature on many TV's (including A1E and some older LG models) only functions if you have overscan enabled. By overscan, I mean the image is zoomed slightly to crop out about 5% of the images borders. If you run the TV with entire image displayed with zero cropping using "just-scan", "full pixel", etc. type modes, then pixel shifting will be disabled because there is no additional image available on the sides that can be shifted into view when the image shifts in the opposite direction. On the 2017 LG models, screen-shift works regardless of zoom mode because LG shifts in a black border when additional content pixels are not available. I suspect that at least some of the people who "think" they're using screen-shift actually aren't because of this issue. Manufacturers should be more clear about this limitation but "graying out" the pixel-shifting feature when it conflicts with the current image zoom mode.

As for whether pixel-shift actually helps with BI, I doubt it unless the static image has features small enough to completely shift the static color away from the affected pixel. For example, if you have a 100x100 pixel yellow square and the shift only shifts by a maximum of 10 pixels, then the inner 80x80 pixels will effectively display 100% yellow all the time and burn-in regardless.

If you require watching content with static elements on an OLED, I would rely mostly on the "zoom" features of your TV or cable-box to save you from BI. On some models like the LG's, you can freely zoom and pan the image using "all-direction-zoom" to shift any static elements off the sides of the screen. The down side is that you'll also be losing some actual image content in those areas you were forced to crop out. Typically the most interesting content is in the center of the screen unless you need to see the tickers or subtitles running on the bottom.
I have always had just scan enabled, which does not zoom the picture. Prior to this FW, screen shift worked with just scan enabled on my E6. Now it doesn't.

post #26 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4879
Quote:

MY PERSONAL EXAMPLE OF BURN IN ON AN LG OLED TV

My parents bought a brand new LG OLED65B6P TV in August of 2016. After about 6 months of watching MSNBC for about 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, the left side of the NBC peacock station logo became visible as a dark spot while watching other content (not MSNBC). The TV was also used for a few hours daily watching other, non-MSNBC content. It's been a couple of months since we identified the issue, and we almost never watch MSNBC on this TV anymore. However, the burned in logo is still visible watching other content, months later. It's only visible when specific colors like red, orange, and yellow are displayed in the area of the burned in logo. I'd wildly guess that more than 90% of the time, it's not visible.

...includes several examples of owners actually experiencing it with normal use. It's a big reason why I started this thread. There are probably still some guests and members reading the first page or 2 only of that thread and thinking it's a non-issue. Not good.)
First I want to thank no1special for starting this balanced thread on an important subjuct.

Second, without wanting to open up a big debate about what constitutes 'normal' viewing habits, I want to point out there are almost certainly a tiny % of AVSers (or at least OLED owners) who would consider that amount of TV-channel viewing 'normal' for a high-end TV owner.

It's absolutely a different story among the public at large and it is very possible/likely that WOLED still has some improvements to make before the technology is ready for the masses.

And I am absolutely supportive of the message that whatever the limitations of the technology may be in its current form, LG should make that clear and provide usage guidelines to avoid burn-in.

I'm writing this to point out the fact to prospective owners that while it appears that WOLED may have a greater propensity for burn-in than LED/LCD, for 'normal' videophile viewing centered on Blurays and streaming with modest amounts of OTA or cable TV and modest amounts of gaming, these WOLEDs don't show any signs of burn-in.

In short, most videophiles seeking a premium TV because they primarily want to enjoy perfect blacks when viewing relatively high-quality content have nothing to worry about.

65C6P owner
700 hours over 9 months
4-hours/day of gaming (Horizon Zero Dawn, Borderlands) 5-7 d/w
~15-20% use gaming w/ static display elements
80-85% streaming and Bluray
no signs of burn-in
post #27 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:

Please, if you feel the need to post here just to say that you haven't experienced burn in, at least provide the info below. Otherwise, your post has very limited useful information. This thread is not a poll of who has or hasn't experienced burn in with OLED TVs (there's a separate thread for that). Thanks.

Year and Model of your OLED TVs

Whether the TV displays content consisting of static logos or graphics consisting specifically of either yellow, orange, or red colors, or shades of these colors.

How many hours per day, on average, the TV displays such content?

How many total hours of use of your TV?

The TV's OLED Light, Contrast, Energy Saving and Screen Shift settings when displaying such content.
No problem:

2015 EG9600 Oled
6 hrs/ day
12hrs/day on weekends
Static logos/graphics- cable tv/ ps4/HTPC
Not at home so can't check settings + how many hours on set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I think what all current and prospective owners need to keep in mind is that burn-in is a condition that OLED displays are prone to....
Correct and so has been with plasma and lcd. It has been a concern for some but It's nothing to stress over night about in my opinion. I realize some have been unfortunate but that is not the case with the majority of owners that I have read in these forums.
smurraybhm likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #28 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I purchased 3 OLEDs over the last month. (I know it is never smart to "stock up" on tvs since technology keeps changing every year, but i bought since they were all on clearance)..All 3 of them were store displays/open box and had the burn in issue (demo loop being played all day for a year). I just returned 2 of them today!! The one I am keeping is getting the panel replaced under Geek Squad protection plan next Saturday. (LG will NOT cover burn in under the manufacturer warranty.). Here is the red screen test from youtube. You can see the black discoloration and also the LG logo towards the center of the screen. (The light is from the flash on the iPhone..) I highly recommend getting a geek squad plan if you do buy an OLED.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Spoiler!
post #29 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
try this:

http://imgur.com/a/P7a0A

Spoiler!
post #30 of 807 Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
I purchased 3 OLEDs over the last month. (I know it is never smart to "stock up" on tvs since technology keeps changing every year, but i bought since they were all on clearance)..All 3 of them were store displays/open box and had the burn in issue (demo loop being played all day for a year). I just returned 2 of them today!! The one I am keeping is getting the panel replaced under Geek Squad protection plan next Saturday. (LG will NOT cover burn in under the manufacturer warranty.). Here is the red screen test from youtube. You can see the black discoloration and also the LG logo towards the center of the screen. (The light is from the flash on the iPhone..) I highly recommend getting a geek squad plan if you do buy an OLED.
Does Sony cover Burn in on the AE1? If so, for how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn , burn-in , image retention , oled , screen