2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #121 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Have you enabled deep colour for hdmi3? Look for it in the settings on your tv.
. Yes the instant i do the screen goes to screen saver images meaning the ps 4 is not longer working. And ive gotten it into a loop where playing uncharted the game will say do you want to turn on hdr and when you select yes the tv then turns on hdr and then you cant see anything. You have to quickly turn it off and rush into the video settings of the ps 4 and turn hdr off or it will continually force the tv into hdr mode and it cant display it. Ive talked to both lg and sony and they are pointing fingers at each other obviously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM

Does hdr require a 18gbs cable?
post #123 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbeal View Post
. Yes the instant i do the screen goes to screen saver images meaning the ps 4 is not longer working. And ive gotten it into a loop where playing uncharted the game will say do you want to turn on hdr and when you select yes the tv then turns on hdr and then you cant see anything. You have to quickly turn it off and rush into the video settings of the ps 4 and turn hdr off or it will continually force the tv into hdr mode and it cant display it. Ive talked to both lg and sony and they are pointing fingers at each other obviously
Sounds like handshake issues with the tv and ps4. Try using the cable that came with the ps4 or try using a different hdmi slot preferably hdmi 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I am currently playing games in HDR Standard as the picture quality in terms of brightness is so much better. Haven't experienced any significant input lag playing Project CARS 2. I have matched the picture settings to the ones in HDR Game Mode except Real Cinema, which remains greyed out and active. Does anybody know what this is and whether it will effect the picture quality when gaming?
post #125 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbeal View Post
Does hdr require a 18gbs cable?
Yea i guess it does. Ran down and bought a 18 gbps cable and it works now. Not sure why the original wasnt working properly
post #126 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansIndy500 View Post
I am currently playing games in HDR Standard as the picture quality in terms of brightness is so much better. Haven't experienced any significant input lag playing Project CARS 2. I have matched the picture settings to the ones in HDR Game Mode except Real Cinema, which remains greyed out and active. Does anybody know what this is and whether it will effect the picture quality when gaming?

It enables films to be played back at 24fps either from processing a 24p input or extracting it from a 60hz interlaced source. It’s greyed out because it doesn’t do anything with a 60hz progressive input...and with games you don’t need it to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #127 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
So the fix is pretty simple then right ? The Real Cinema option is the only option you lose, so you can get the exact same settings in HDR Standard but finally get a bright picture am I reading that right ? I'll try to find the input lag measure outside of Game mode to see if the trade-off isn't too harsh.

Thanks for sharing

Edit : Found the input lag values outside of Game mode on the C7 review by rtings : 4K @ 60Hz : 63.0ms / 1080 @ 60Hz : 46.4ms

I wonder if choosing HDR Standard and then labelling the input as "PC" would bring both the low input lags and the high brightness together... If someone want to try that, I still don't have my E7 as I'm waiting to move in my new flat before buying it.

LG 65C7 - Xbox One X - Klipsch R15PM - Klipsch R12SW - Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by -Kaelis-; 11-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #128 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kaelis- View Post
I wonder if choosing HDR Standard and then labelling the input as "PC" would bring both the low input lags and the high brightness together... If someone want to try that, I still don't have my E7 as I'm waiting to move in my new flat before buying it.
We already tried that and unfortunately It results in really bad banding due do PC mode not mapping HDR10 correctly. Looks terrible on PS4 Pro in HDR mode.

I just tried it with my PC in SDR mode and it looks normal, so it does seem to be broken with HDR10 only. I'll need to find an HDR PC game and try again just to make sure it's not unique to the PS4 Pro.

Good idea though.

Last edited by shiznit93; 11-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #129 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Edit : Found the input lag values outside of Game mode on the C7 review by rtings : 4K @ 60Hz : 63.0ms / 1080 @ 60Hz : 46.4ms
I think I found the site you found these values at.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...comparison_830

It doesn't say about 4K @ 60Hz + HDR outside of game mode so I assume that is the one that is 63.0ms? Is that high for lag?
post #130 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I think I found the site you found these values at.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...comparison_830

It doesn't say about 4K @ 60Hz + HDR outside of game mode so I assume that is the one that is 63.0ms? Is that high for lag?
Then again, would those input lag values still be the same after tinkering around to match the settings of HDR Game Mode in to HDR Standard?
post #131 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Then again, would those input lag values still be the same after tinkering around to match the settings of HDR Game Mode in to HDR Standard?
I must admit that I don't know if changing values in the settings would lower or aggravate the input lag.. But I guess rtings would have write something if some options were to dramatically change the input lag value, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

About HDR, on the same review we can see that, in Game Mode, 4K HDR and regular 4K gaming have the same input lag values : 21.3 and 21.4ms respectively. So it doesn't seem too far-fetched to assume that HDR wouldn't change the input lag value one bit in picture modes other than Game Mode.

About the thresholds for tolerable input lag values, I'd say 63.0ms is a bit too much for me, as a long time PC player I'm pretty sure I would feel the delay. The 46.4ms delay in 1080p gaming is a bit more tolerable but it's still too much, IMO, for critical gameplay such as : any competitive multiplayer mode, fighting games, racing games, platformers, fast FPS's like DOOM etc.

LG 65C7 - Xbox One X - Klipsch R15PM - Klipsch R12SW - Sennheiser HD650
post #132 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I must admit that I don't know if changing values in the settings would lower or aggravate the input lag.. But I guess rtings would have write something if some options were to dramatically change the input lag value, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

About HDR, on the same review we can see that, in Game Mode, 4K HDR and regular 4K gaming have the same input lag values : 21.3 and 21.4ms respectively. So it doesn't seem too far-fetched to assume that HDR wouldn't change the input lag value one bit in picture modes other than Game Mode.

About the thresholds for tolerable input lag values, I'd say 63.0ms is a bit too much for me, as a long time PC player I'm pretty sure I would feel the delay. The 46.4ms delay in 1080p gaming is a bit more tolerable but it's still too much, IMO, for critical gameplay such as : any competitive multiplayer mode, fighting games, racing games, platformers, fast FPS's like DOOM etc.
I have tried Battlefield 1 single player, Project CARS 2 online and No Man's Sky in HDR Standard after tweaking the settings and must say I didn't notice any lag. But then again, I didn't think about fast FPS's. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
post #133 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It seems plausible lag could go down if they used processing features in their HDR Standard test which would be disabled in PC mode. The issue of color banding still remains.

Quote:
I have tried Battlefield 1 single player, Project CARS 2 online and No Man's Sky in HDR Standard after tweaking the settings and must say I didn't notice any lag. But then again, I didn't think about fast FPS's. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
Are you not seeing the banding in PC HDR mode using your computer?
post #134 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit93 View Post
It seems plausible lag could go down if they used processing features in their HDR Standard test which would be disabled in PC mode. The issue of color banding still remains.

Are you not seeing the banding in PC HDR mode using your computer?
I'm not using PC Mode. I'm just using the normal TV HDR Standard with the same picture settings HDR Game Mode has. The only exception is that Real Cinema is on instead of off because it is greyed out. I'm using a PS4 Pro as well if that helps? So far I haven't noticed any major banding.
post #135 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not using PC Mode. I'm just using the normal TV HDR Standard with the same picture settings HDR Game Mode has. The only exception is that Real Cinema is on instead of off because it is greyed out. I'm using a PS4 Pro as well if that helps? So far I haven't noticed any major banding.

Real Cinema won’t be on. I know it will say ‘on’ but greyed out just means inactive or ‘doesn’t apply to this mode’

post #136 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The banding kicks in when you change your HDMI input mode to PC and launch some HDR content, at least on PS4 Pro.
post #137 of 307 Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit93 View Post
The banding kicks in when you change your HDMI input mode to PC and launch some HDR content, at least on PS4 Pro.
Thanks for the heads up. As I say the HDR Standard mode on the normal input has so far been okay to use so hopefully it remains consistent with other games.
post #138 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Xbox One X user here using a B7P.

Playing Call Of Duty WWII I noticed a difference in input lag using the standard mode vs game mode.

Using game mode is nice but I don't have the WOW and POP effect of the standard mode, even when dynamic contrast is set to HIGH.

After playing in game mode for I while I am very impress with the picture quality but switching back to standard is frustrating, I would really like to get this experience in game mode....

Anyone knows if LG considers this an issue or this is normal since it deactivate many processing in the background?

Also for the 2017 models was there any firmware introducing this or it's only for the 2016 models?

thanks.
post #139 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post

Playing Call Of Duty WWII I noticed a difference in input lag using the standard mode vs game mode.

Using game mode is nice but I don't have the WOW and POP effect of the standard mode, even when dynamic contrast is set to HIGH.

After playing in game mode for I while I am very impress with the picture quality but switching back to standard is frustrating, I would really like to get this experience in game mode....

Anyone knows if LG considers this an issue or this is normal since it deactivate many processing in the background?

Also for the 2017 models was there any firmware introducing this or it's only for the 2016 models?

thanks.
I believe it also impacts the 2017 models as that is what I am using.

How bad was the input lag? Did you try matching the Game Mode settings in HDR Standard or did you just use the default set up? I'm not sure it makes a difference but it is possible.

I got in touch with LG about the issue and they said the change was intentional as they believe it improves the HDR gaming experience. I have sent a follow up email asking if there are intentions to revert back to a brighter setting but still awaiting a response. I don't hold my hopes up though.
post #140 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
for me its still better to play en SDR thasn in broken HDR game mode.
post #141 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Quote:

thanks.
I believe it also impacts the 2017 models as that is what I am using.

How bad was the input lag? Did you try matching the Game Mode settings in HDR Standard or did you just use the default set up? I'm not sure it makes a difference but it is possible.

I got in touch with LG about the issue and they said the change was intentional as they believe it improves the HDR gaming experience. I have sent a follow up email asking if there are intentions to revert back to a brighter setting but still awaiting a response. I don't hold my hopes up though.
No I did match the settings but the lag was enough for me to switch back to game mode. For COD input lag is mandatory.

I also read that LG approves those changes but I disagree. I would never say it?s broken since it is really impressive but switching back to standard mode is WOW. It?s like 8/10 for game mode and 10/10 for standard mode.
post #142 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I read through this thread and an still confused on the B6. Does the update case the dim gaming picture model? Or was the B6 gaming mode slightly dimmer to begin with?
post #143 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
No I did match the settings but the lag was enough for me to switch back to game mode. For COD input lag is mandatory.

I also read that LG approves those changes but I disagree. I would never say it?s broken since it is really impressive but switching back to standard mode is WOW. It?s like 8/10 for game mode and 10/10 for standard mode.
Ah right okay. Other than changing in game brightness I'm at a loss of ideas. What about the technicolor setting? I'm not sure exactly what it does, or whether it has an HDR mode but I wonder if changing those settings might help?
post #144 of 307 Old 11-23-2017, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So guy shall i downgrad for the hdr game mode fix. And what the best ver to downgrade to ? Im use E6

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #145 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
On my C6 I have no issue using dynamic contrast high on HDR game. I flick between HDR game and HDR standard and they look the same with DC on high in game and off for standard - though HDR game requires wide colour gamut.

Using those settings I get a very nice stable picture. If anything for gaming it has more punch than standard on the C6. I play lots of MP games and have suffered no eye strain or difficulties, its been very smooth since getting my Xbox One X.
post #146 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwb100 View Post
On my C6 I have no issue using dynamic contrast high on HDR game. I flick between HDR game and HDR standard and they look the same with DC on high in game and off for standard - though HDR game requires wide colour gamut.

Using those settings I get a very nice stable picture. If anything for gaming it has more punch than standard on the C6. I play lots of MP games and have suffered no eye strain or difficulties, its been very smooth since getting my Xbox One X.
Did you get any issues with the reduced colur quality as I'm sure I read setting high Dynamic Contrast has an effect on colour. Would setting the in game brightness have an impact on any other picture qualities as well?
post #147 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberzaid View Post
So guy shall i downgrad for the hdr game mode fix. And what the best ver to downgrade to ? Im use E6

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I must admit I don't think you can downgrade. If there is a way I'm not sure how to do it.
post #148 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Did you get any issues with the reduced colur quality as I'm sure I read setting high Dynamic Contrast has an effect on colour. Would setting the in game brightness have an impact on any other picture qualities as well?
No. I mean I've read the same, but to me its looked great. And I can flick between standard and game and it looks similar to the point of near identical. You do have to use wide colour gamut though.

In game HDR brightness settings have to be set per game. But since getting the X I'm surprised how easy it has been. Not touched my TV settings once. Every game I've played offers enough options to tweak overall brightness and HDR brightness (or white and black points).

I'm sure that DC isn't totally ideal and I'm sure for people who professionally calibrate their sets it throws things off. But I honestly think its fine. I haven't noticed annoying brightness fluctuations I'd expect to using DC. The picture for me so far across 6 different HDR games has been great.
post #149 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwb100 View Post
No. I mean I've read the same, but to me its looked great. And I can flick between standard and game and it looks similar to the point of near identical. You do have to use wide colour gamut though.

In game HDR brightness settings have to be set per game. But since getting the X I'm surprised how easy it has been. Not touched my TV settings once. Every game I've played offers enough options to tweak overall brightness and HDR brightness (or white and black points).

I'm sure that DC isn't totally ideal and I'm sure for people who professionally calibrate their sets it throws things off. But I honestly think its fine. I haven't noticed annoying brightness fluctuations I'd expect to using DC. The picture for me so far across 6 different HDR games has been great.

My view is that people are getting overly hung up on the potential for a slight colour shift caused by dynamic contrast. If it’s there it’s incredibly slight. And does game need to be accurate to isf standards anyway? Games simply don’t have the detail to benefit from super accurate calibration. Skin tones aren’t going to be accurate anyway for example...they’re just a game artists impression of skin tones.

I have my tv professionally calibrated and my game settings are in that ballpark. But I couldn’t give two hoots if they’re marginally out.

post #150 of 307 Old 11-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
My view is that people are getting overly hung up on the potential for a slight colour shift caused by dynamic contrast. If it’s there it’s incredibly slight. And does game need to be accurate to isf standards anyway? Games simply don’t have the detail to benefit from super accurate calibration. Skin tones aren’t going to be accurate anyway for example...they’re just a game artists impression of skin tones.

I have my tv professionally calibrated and my game settings are in that ballpark. But I couldn’t give two hoots if they’re marginally out.

I agree. I've read some devs say that they make their games on monitors that aren't calibrated to d65 and therefore the "correct" setting for the TV is closer to neutral than warm. But not all games. So I do concur that "accurate calibrated" picture is far harder for gaming. Certainly if there is a difference its a small one that I cannot see (nor care about).
Andrew Stirling likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page